Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E21: In Plane Sight

WendyCR72

As Castle and Alexis travel to London, their routine flight turns deadly when the plane’s Air Marshal is found murdered. With the help of Beckett on the ground, Castle and Alexis race against time to find the killer before he carries out his fateful plan.

Castle's first mistake - taking an Oceanic Air flight.

If I had gone missing fro 2 months, I'd be wary about flying, too, I think. Or anything that looks like it could be detrimental to my life.

Is in-flight wifi fast enough to support a FaceTime call? I don't think it is, but I've also never paid for in-flight wifi. I hear it's basically good enough to check email, not stream video.

+1 for the Snakes on a Plane reference.

I don't fly often and am not an airline employee, but can you really get access to the cargo hold from the fuselage? And if you can ... I highly doubt that luggage is neatly stacked in plastic shelves with enough room to walk around. Maybe in bigger planes? (I usually only fly domestic.) Episodes based around planes make me want to fly in TV-planes.

I kinda suspected the flight attendant when she was with Alexis looking for the Syrian dude's bag but then I thought, "nah ... that's too obvious". And then I thought maybe it was the male flight attendant because he seemed kind of nervous. 

Supportive, concerned Beckett is the best. The tag at the end of Beckett watching to make sure the plane lands was really sweet. I really like when they write Beckett as more of a wife and less of a detective. She's great at being a detective, we know that. But supportive, concerned Beckett is more interesting, more dynamic. I like her a lot. (Also see: Cops and Robbers.)

I think Dara's much better at solo writing than Chad. I liked this one, despite splitting up Castle and Beckett. Maybe it's just because I was so eh on last week's episode. But as far as an Alexis/Castle episode, I thought this one was better than Like Father, Like Daughter.

• Love 3

yeah it was that bad.    Really Alexis can inspect the body because she interned with Lanie.   Okay then.    And of course, the super clear picture of a finger print that can be matched to the FBI database.    They never explained how the guy was in the database though.   He was just on the No Fly List.   But I didn't hear anything about a record.

But hey. they found the killer of Air Marshall Ford.   Did you know he was the Air Marshall on the flight?  

Umm, if the pilot is supposed to lock herself in the cockpit per protcol why was she standing around discussing it with the flight crew?   Good time for a real terrorist to take over the plane.

"There's a snake on the mother flying plane." 

• Love 3

My dislike for Alexis shines through. Of course she would be instrumental in solving the murder. *Eyeroll* She's no Beckett. Unfortunately, Alexis being front and center ruined what could have been an entertaining episode. 

• Love 2

Oceanic Air, really? I'll take a pass thanks. LOL

It was the stewardess. WTF! Can't take that seriously and of course Alexis talks her down and takes the gun off him whilst Castle just watches on. As for the very low key ending with Beckett all alone whilst Castle and Alexis continue to London well lets just say this was no Cops and Robbers. 

Yeah Alexis it's true I've been told if the cabin crew are smiling then relax but bad turbulence is a bitch.

So why is Alexis going with him? They don't spend enough father-daughter time already with her hanging around the loft? And why isn't Beckett going? No vacation time left? They never gave a reason although I see Molly tweeted she had to work.

Wouldn't the air marshal be slumming down with the folks in cattle not drinking champagne and eating chocolates in first?

And you can just access the bottom of the plane like that? I don't think so. 

Why is their perfect phone reception up there the entire time?

Beckett is wearing a fugly shirt.

How can that guy impersonate Isador? I mean HOW?

“There’s a snake on the mother flying plane” Heh.

I interned with Lanie remember!  Ah yeah when Alexis was doing something useful, those were the days.

“I think we found our killer! No you haven't there's ages to go yet.

A possible Arab terrorist threat and ties with ISIS wow that's original. Can't the writers think of anything else?

So last week he was helping save the world now he might have to defuse a bomb?  They sure do like to keep him on his toes.

Gun! Castle screams,  yeah great way to keep the passengers calm on a plane. *sigh*

People don't always fill in their customs declarations immediately so I don't see how that was going to work, they had hours before they were going to land.

Edited by verdana
I don't fly often and am not an airline employee, but can you really get access to the cargo hold from the fuselage? And if you can ... I highly doubt that luggage is neatly stacked in plastic shelves with enough room to walk around. Maybe in bigger planes? (I usually only fly domestic.) Episodes based around planes make me want to fly in TV-planes.

There's some Jodie Foster movie where her daughter disappears in the middle of the flight and everyone tells her she has no daughter and is crazy....and they got access to the cargo hold from the fuselage.  There was some Lifetime movie with a crisis on a plane where that happens too.  So, either yes, it's possible, or it's just an accepted Hollywood thing.

I love how much room there was on that plane.  Even in the non first class seats, those people had like three times as much room as I did the last time I flew.

I liked it..It was a mystery...and yeah, it could have been total crap and I would have been hooked just by Oceanic...

After last week's suckfest..I am easy to please...

Edited by stonehaven
  • Love 2

Wouldn't the air marshal be slumming down with the folks in cattle not drinking champagne and eating chocolates in first?

The said air marshals get first seat preference (this might be true?), but he was in first class because he was guarding the guy with the 13 million dollar watch. I don't see a problem with that.

Really Alexis can inspect the body because she interned with Lanie.   Okay then.

If Castle's going to be a cop on this flight, then yes. Hell, I'd let her do it if they thought the dude was killed by a terrorist that might take down the plane. But even still, all she really did was hold a phone and manipulate it and the body so Lanie - the medical examiner - could see.

As for the very low key ending with Beckett all alone whilst Castle and Alexis continue to London well lets just say this was no Cops and Robbers.

Yep, because Beckett could teleport to London to be with Castle. /sarcasm

• Love 1
  Really Alexis can inspect the body because she interned with Lanie.   Okay then.

I thought the same thing at first, but since it turned out "inspect the body" meant video chat with Lanie, I think it was okay.

Why is their perfect phone reception up there the entire time?

The same reason they get super fast internet on their phones all the time. 

How can that guy impersonate Isador? I mean HOW?

I guess he was supposed to have swapped out the picture? But then why not just use a forged one to begin with instead of stealing it? Or are our TSA agents supposed to be that bad at their jobs?

Wow I certainly noticed Stana's reduced shooting days on set in this one. Despite the sometimes cute/fun daddy-daughter moments (although sometimes Alexis and her strident attitude with her father does grate) this episode would have worked much better inserted earlier on in the season instead of wedged in after a Castle heavy (and unsatisfying) mythology episode and with only two more of the season to go with various futures up in the air. I would much rather see all three of them on the plane dealing with the situation than watch Kate playing supportive spouse by phone or if that's a no go for the writers then why not get Beckett and Alexis together for an extended period rather than the brief moments they usually allow them which often feel superficial.

It wasn't that bad, better than LFLD but didn't hold my interest that much too many WTH moments for me, I also don't watch to see Alexis at the forefront, it was much better than last week but then having my fingernails pulled out would be an improvement over my suffering last week. Beckett said all the right things on the phone to Castle but I wonder if they have problems when one of the actors has time off and it disrupts their usual working rhythm and this goes for Fillion and Katic too at times and they seem less energised and in sync, things felt a bit flat. I've watched better phone moments between them than this. 

Yep, because Beckett could teleport to London to be with Castle. /sarcasm

I know she can't which is why I found the ending very disappointing because they're not together and there is no nice, sweet reunion given they conveniently have to carry on flying to Heathrow when it seems it would have been easier to return back but of course we can't have that as if realism has every bothered these writers. That's what I watch the show for them together - not phoning, texting or spending thousands of miles apart working a case but watching them physically interacting and play off each other as a couple.  Beckett sighing at a computer screen didn't tug at the heart strings that much I'd rather she was tugging at Castle's plaid shirt and giving him a hug and a kiss. 

Cops & Robbers had some wonderful moments between them even though they were apart then there was the hugely emotional ending, what a great episode. By comparison Beckett didn't feel anywhere near as proactive because of the premise all she did was spend her time sitting at a desk talking into a phone constantly. They went straight into the plane situation without us seeing them together which at the very least was I was expecting, how many minutes of screen time did she have this episode? Not much and they spent the entire episode apart, that's not why I watch the show.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Oh God. This is so, so painful to watch I'm not sure I can get through it and I'm only 23 minutes in. I can't really bear to watch Nathan without Stana and Molly is just completely intolerable. I would have let the snake out to terrorize her alone. It was obvs this was a bottle episode and they were trying to save money since everyone was wearing the ugliest clothes yet. Castle's traveling shirt was vomit inducing. And what's up with Beckett's extremely baggy shirt? She looked like she was wearing a sack. She must have pissed off Luke. Either that or the new husband has gotten to work. This blue filter they're using on the film is bugging the hell out of me.

Stana please don't re sign. Go live your life with your giant husband and leave this absolute crap behind.

Edited by Elysium1973

I guess he was supposed to have swapped out the picture? But then why not just use a forged one to begin with instead of stealing it? Or are our TSA agents supposed to be that bad at their jobs?

Wouldn't it just be easier to swap out a photo than forge a whole passport? That way he's a real person and someone they could do checks on and everything, instead of having a made up name.

I know she can't which is why I found the ending very disappointing because they're not together and there is no nice, sweet reunion given they conveniently have to carry on flying to Heathrow when it seems it would have been easier to return back but of course we can't have that as if realism has every bothered these writers. That's what I watch the show for them together - not phoning, texting or spending thousands of miles apart working a case but watching them physically interacting and play off each other as a couple.  Beckett sighing at a computer screen didn't tug at the heart strings that much I'd rather she was tugging at Castle's plaid shirt and giving him a hug and a kiss.

I mean, I guess. But wasn't one of the criticisms of Castle's character that he spends all his time at the precinct like a puppy? That he literally spends every day tailing Beckett, even more so now that they're married and living together? So they give him his own life, doing his job as a writer (another criticism, btw) and now it's not right because he's not with Beckett?

Seriously, the back and forth is frustrating. I don't mind criticisms, but now we're just picking and complaining for the sake of picking and complaining.

• Love 9

Umm, if the pilot is supposed to lock herself in the cockpit per protcol why was she standing around discussing it with the flight crew?   Good time for a real terrorist to take over the plane.

i was wondering that as well!!!

Ok so you guys are saying you watch Castle so that you can watch an entire episode of Castle and Alexis? With no Beckett at all? Why does it have to be all or nothing? Why can't just general episodes be more well balanced? These writers don't know how to juggle multiple stories, that's well known.

Wouldn't it just be easier to swap out a photo than forge a whole passport? That way he's a real person and someone they could do checks on and everything, instead of having a made up name.

Swapping out a photo on a passport seems like it would be pretty involved.  I would think it would be easier to just buy a whole new one from people who do that kind of thing.  But I've never had to try such a thing, so what do I know?

I thought that overall this episode was pretty decent, and I liked it better than Like Father, Like Daughter.  It was a little slow and I guessed who the killer was, but being on a plane was different than the usual formula.  I would have liked more Beckett, but I did like her being supportive, and I liked how Castle obviously was feeling better from her talking to him.  

Ok so you guys are saying you watch Castle so that you can watch an entire episode of Castle and Alexis? With no Beckett at all?

I don't know if anyone wants no Beckett, but it is a very common criticism that we never see Castle do anything with Beckett.  And so is Alexis not having anything to do. Obviously balance is good, and the writers really need to work on that, but I don't think they could do anything that wouldn't result in criticism around here.

• Love 1

Ok so you guys are saying you watch Castle so that you can watch an entire episode of Castle and Alexis? With no Beckett at all? Why does it have to be all or nothing? Why can't just general episodes be more well balanced? These writers don't know how to juggle multiple stories, that's well known

No, I'm saying for an attempt with Alexis and Castle, this was decent,especially compared to what they did with that idea last time. It doesn't have to be all or nothing ... which means it also doesn't have to be all Castle and Beckett all the time. There was still plenty of Castle and Beckett, even if they weren't in the same location. And I'll take that over another episode of them interrogating 5 people and calling it an episode.

but I don't think they could do anything that wouldn't result in criticism around here.

Ding, ding, ding. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. That's why I never, never, never fault any of them from reading places like here. It frustrates the hell out of me sometimes and I'm just a viewer.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 3

No, I'm saying for an attempt with Alexis and Castle, this was decent,especially compared to what they did with that idea last time. It doesn't have to be all or nothing ... which means it also doesn't have to be all Castle and Beckett all the time.

For me, the issue is the Alexis/Castle dynamic when solving cases. Then again, I will admit to not liking Alexis for a long time so I may be completely biased. :) I enjoyed the Ryan-centric episode a few weeks ago even if there was not much Beckett/Castle.I liked Espositio in the subway plot before Christmas. Or the Gates-centric epsiode last year. I would love to see more Martha.

I guess I just don't like who Castle becomes when he is with Alexis nowadays, except for short period of times. I don't mind the silly plot of solving a murder on an airplane, the wi-fi access, or even discussing the case in the middle of the plane, etc. I take it with a grain of salt. I just wish Castle could have done it on his own.

I liked how Castle was not at ease in being the "lead detective", how "insecure" he was, for a lack of a better word, without Beckett to solve cases. I liked how he has to overcame his doubts to solve the case.

And I'll take that over another episode of them interrogating 5 people and calling it an episode.

That is so annoying! I agree with you on that one.

Edited by zen415
  • Love 2

The Creaseys should stick to writing eps together. Dara's was slightly better than Chad's since she does seem to try to do some continuity. At least this ep was much better than LFLD where we didn't get them creepy building theory together. There were nice moments at the beginning where Alexis knows Castle spiel and the hug at the end. Still don't know why Alexis can take all this time off since it kinda look like a busy week long? schedule on his ipad. Probably would've made more sense as a March ep so she would be on spring break. I did lol at the Oceanic Air and Hudson University. It's like a one two punch of bad news. Should've known that having Paula Newsome as the most recognized guest star for the ep, she would be the killer.

I mean, I guess. But wasn't one of the criticisms of Castle's character that he spends all his time at the precinct like a puppy? That he literally spends every day tailing Beckett, even more so now that they're married and living together? So they give him his own life, doing his job as a writer (another criticism, btw) and now it's not right because he's not with Beckett?

I don't see how separating them all episode and having him play detective with Alexis helps that situation. The writers seem to know in advance they've got a tough sell ahead of them by the very way they promote these kind of episodes (or don't). It's all about balance and they go to extremes. He has to be at the precinct otherwise how do they solve cases? I didn't see these calls from fans demanding for Castle to be sent home packing but yes I would like to see that he has a life of his own too but they could focus on his writing career whilst still solving crime with Beckett which is the whole idea of the show surely? They know this is why the show is successful so why try and fight against it, they used to manage to combine the precinct and Castle's world pretty well before so why are they having problems now they're together - it should be easier not more difficult.

As for Alexis they haven't managed to do the most obvious thing in three seasons now - have her regularly interact with Beckett in a meaningful way which would in turn give Molly something to do and link back to Castle at the same time. I don't see it as nit picking but a failure in the writing to manage to get a good balance as Elysium pointed out between these various conflicting areas which they should be able to achieve with a bit of effort. 

It's not enjoyable watching them phone conferencing for an hour I don't consider that a greatest use of Katic and Fillion's chemistry but may be that's just me.

I guess I just don't like who Castle becomes when he is with Alexis nowadays, except for short period of times. I don't mind the silly plot of solving a murder on an airplane, the wi-fi access, or even discussing the case in the middle of the plane, etc.

Same here. I would like to enjoy having her around more but they need to give Alexis something worthwhile to do that also gives her meaningful time with Castle and Beckett too as a family, as of now her character feels like she's drifting with no set purpose.

I don't want her playing detective that's Beckett's job by the way. Instead, how about telling me what courses she's studying at college? What she has planning on doing as a career? Is she in a relationship? Is she planning on getting her own place again? 

Edited by verdana

Another thing that seemed odd was that given what had been going on with the Air Marshall dead, a gun lost on the plane, initial possible links with a passenger to ISIS, a bomb threat and the mention of threats by text to harm the plane the FBI seemed very quiet after the initial request to go and see if there was a bomb. They just had Beckett and the boys (and Tory) in the precinct dealing with everything but that was it. By that stage I was expecting to see a few planes hovering outside the window and was Gates in this episode? 

You would have though Martha would have liked to have gone to London with them, having Susan on board would have been a hoot. 

As madmaverick mentioned on another thread nice to see a woman pilot even if it's only in TV land, according to Dara 5% of international jet pilots are women.

The snake's name is Steve. Heh. 

I guess I'm pretty easy at this point.  With S8 up in the air (no pun intended, honestly) just having an episode that more or less held together was fine. My biggest issue was that there was just too much going on with so many suspects in such an enclosed space.

I groaned/laughed at the snake.  

Castle Recap: Sneaks on a Plane at TV Line.

The episode only lost points, in my opinion, for the killer reveal and, more specifically, her shaky motive. Cabin crew member Debbie had lost her pension, so she decided to rob an auction house courier, then begrudgingly whacked the air marshal/bodyguard when he got wise to the heist. Really? That said, thinking (hoping?) they would not make the kindly “mother hen” crew member the killer, I’m glad that my top suspect — hey, let’s have Rick conspicuously make note of the sleeping guy! — turned out to not be the killer.

Have to agree with Matt about the motive when she started on about being pissed off about her pension. 

Unfortunately, Alexis being front and center ruined what could have been an entertaining episode.

I thought it was a bit much when she faces off with the woman pointing the gun. I found the idea that Castle who is always been very protective and was the same way on the flight at certain times telling her firmly to go and sit down when things looked serious (which thankfully she did rather than get stroppy and refuse which I as dreading) was happy to let someone point a gun almost point blank at his only child.  It was done for drama and presumably to give Molly some focus but it felt a bit off to me that he would be happy to let her approach the woman. And what exactly did she plan to do with the gun, seemed a dumb idea that wasn't going to get her anywhere but into a jail cell for a very long time once they landed. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2
Dara Creasey @DaraCreasey  ·  5 hrs 5 hours ago

Fun fact: we hired an actress to read all of Beckett's lines w Nathan on the plane set. And the same actress read Castle's lines w Stana.

May be she can keep doing that if Stana doesn't reach agreement with the network for next season. 

Dara Creasey @DaraCreasey  ·  5 hrs 5 hours ago

I love Espo and Beckett together. #Castle

Careful there Dara, LOL. 

Dara Creasey @DaraCreasey  ·  2 hrs 2 hours ago

Dara Creasey retweeted Molly C. Quinn

That line was a @NathanFillion pitch

Dara Creasey added,

Molly C. Quinn @MollyQuinn93

How long does it take for a snake to pass a cell phone?

Glad we didn't have to wait. :)

That made me laugh when he said that, typical Fillion. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I liked how Castle was not at ease in being the "lead detective", how "insecure" he was, for a lack of a better word, without Beckett to solve cases. I liked how he has to overcame his doubts to solve the case.

This episode allowed NF a chance to be an adult and to have some depth to his character.

I thought it was the steward too. The senior flight attendant was a bit of a surprise. The motive was weak and her plan weaker.

Maybe this should be in 'unpopular opinions' but, I like Molly Quinn and I like Alexis and think her character is authentic. Doesn't anyone else have a kid that age or remember being that age, when you knew everything and your parents just didn't get it?

• Love 4

What a great ad for inflight wifi heh.  Suppose it'll only be a matter of time and hopefully decreasing costs before everyone is as stuck to their phones up in the air as they are on the ground.  But I want to be able to sleep on a flight and not just listen to my neighbour's phone conversation!

I thought this was a decent episode.  I tend to like episodes that take them out of the precinct (Child's Play, No.1 Fan, LFLD for the most part, Still, Cops & Robbers, to name a few), including bottle type episodes, and this was no exception.  Count me as another who wants to avoid another 5 interrogations at the precinct at all cost!  I also do still like the Castle/Alexis relationship for the most part, when she isn't being insufferable and humbling Dad, and since they haven't gotten much attention for a while, I was fine with it getting featured this episode.  I don't really like it when they are fighting since they write it so badly, so seeing them as a solid team here was good.  Nathan and Molly are just a very natural father-daughter acting duo by now.  

It was a bit much to have Alexis talking down the murderer at the end, but I've noticed that the writers like to give the characters these hero moments, especially the female ones.  Probably more in character for Castle to have immediately stood in front of Alexis to shield her from the gun, but the writer probably wanted to have grown up Alexis hold her own as a young woman and not need dear Daddy's protection. ;)

While I was watching, I thought the flight attendant/murderer sounded rather too calm when she discovered the body with Castle, but I thought that was just the actor not bringing it.  But since she turned out to be the murderer... probably could have feigned shock a bit better though.  It was always in my mind that it could be one of the attendants especially as they went through one after another red herring of a suspect.  And you know, anytime one of the main characters makes conversation with one of the guest characters it's never just for no reason.  So when Alexis made conversation with the flight attendant murder, that was an indicator.

The episode did keep my attention throughout.  It might have been even more exciting if the passengers had started panicking and started more drama.  Some of the stuff I had to handwave like Castle and Alexis glaringly spying on the passengers from the aisle, and Alexis sounding like she actually knew how to be a medical examiner after being an intern for a few weeks.  Luckily, it was just her sending a photo to Lanie ,which made more sense realistically.  If I were Castle, I wouldn't have left Alexis alone for a minute, with dead body or not, not when I knew there was someone with a gun about with nefarious purposes.

The Caskett phone conversations did fall a little flat for me.  Always glad to see concerned Beckett, but their phone conversations could have been less abrupt and with more of the personal thrown in.  "Castle..." and "I know..." doesn't really do it for me.  I need the flowery words heh!  I liked that Castle was a bit insecure about his abilities but still shown to be competent in handling the whole affair.  And that Beckett reassured him.  And that Alexis listened to her Dad for the most part and had faith in him instead of thinking she knew better.

Castle's boring old ugly plaid shirt that he's worn more than a few times definitely didn't do it for me, nor did Beckett's shapeless baggy shirt which looked more like something she could wear to bed.

Nice to see references to Castle's writing career and that some people actually know him and his work.

Nice to see a female captain represented!

Nathan was looking even taller than usual in the plane cabin.  Got to feel for tall people who don't get to sit in first class on long haul flights.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

They never explained how the guy was in the database though.   He was just on the No Fly List.   But I didn't hear anything about a record.

But hey. they found the killer of Air Marshall Ford.   Did you know he was the Air Marshall on the flight?  

He was on the no-fly list because he was associated with a terrorist. He admitted that his cousin had joined ISIS. Anybody who applies for entry to the US has to have an iris scan and fingerprint(s) on file. Either with a biometric passport, or from being scanned and fingerprinted upon entry. That applies even if they are in transit through the country. So once he was identified as the cousin of a terrorist and placed on the no-fly list, his fingerprints would be on file as a potential terrorist. He would have to go through a formal redress process to get off that list. No criminal record (for himself) is necessary - guilty until proven innocent. That part of the plot, highlighting the bureaucracy involved in getting out of Homeland Security cross-hairs rang true. 

Yeah, the Captain casually walking around the galley instead of talking to the cabin crew on the phone after being given orders to lock herself on the flight deck was silly. As was the attempt to get the potential terrorist out of his seat in order to subdue him. How much easier is it to subdue a seated man than one with full use of hands and legs and who may have a concealed weapon? Can you imagine the difficulty of a full-sized man trying to pull out a hidden gun while sitting in a coach seat? I have trouble accessing my headphones... I'd think you could swarm the guy and zip tie him to the arms of the seat pretty easily if you catch him off-guard.

Edited by pepper

This really proved on how they really missed the boat on using Alexis and her relationship with Beckett. I mean there were tons of stories that could have happened between the two. I mean, granted Alexis is an adult now but Beckett is a stepmother now, how does that reflect her relationship with Castle? This episode once I got past the fact that it was an Oceanic Flight and the entire Hudson University reference was a nice father/daughter story but it wasn't as good as it could be. The entire passport with the student trying to get home to his sick mother was a bit much. He would have had to gone through a lot more effort to make it through TSA with a stolen passport. Of course, the entire thing with the TSA varies from airport to airport. You have agents who scan your IDs like you are going to the White House and then you have others who go: "Yeah, looks like you, have a good flight." 

The pilot shouldn't have been shown at all, if it looks like a possible terrorist plot they are alerted and locked up but nice they show women pilots. I actually thought it was the male attendant until I realized he was right handed. It was ok but coming off of the last two episodes, I felt like it was way out of place.

Meh. I was bored. Again. Beckett's shirt was horribly unflattering. And I generally don't care about Alexis one way or the other most of the time these days but even I couldn't take her talking the armed lady down. Seriously? Please. And let's have Beckett question Castle's instincts for the umpteenth time when she just trusted him to interrogate a suspect. That made ~so much sense.

As far as that preview for next week...the NBC-wannabe voice was cringeworthy. Can ABC just rerun The Late Shaft instead? lol 

1) Stana  just got married...Beckett wearing a baggy blue shirt....Will the "Stana is Pregnant" folks be in hog heaven?

2) Regarding the scene where she "talked the killer down"-I think that of all the people there, Alexis might  be seen as the least threatening to the killer, and most likely to calm things down .

3) Regarding that scene; Did Alexis'/Molly's eye makeup look different than in the rest of the episode?  To me, her eyes/makeup looked almost weepy/zombie-like (?) , to the extent that I  was almost taken out of the scene.

Have to agree with Matt about the motive when she started on about being pissed off about her pension.

I thought it was a pretty weak motive too. I like to think most people wouldn't jus turn to murder so quickly.

3) Regarding that scene; Did Alexis'/Molly's eye makeup look different than in the rest of the episode? To me, her eyes/makeup looked almost weepy/zombie-like (?) , to the extent that I was almost taken out of the scene.

Yeah, I thought she looked like the girl from iZombie. It took me out of the scene too.

Did anyone else thing Nathan Fillion looked particularly bad in this episode? People are blaming the wardrobe, but he looked tired and bloated and the worst I've seen him look this season.

Or maybe it was just the contrast to the season 2 episode I watched before this one. Where he wore a white shirt and had that jaw line. Or maybe the bluish lighting, sometimes from below, was just horribly unflattering to a meddle-aged guy who's not in the best shape.

C'mon show! A big part of your appeal is pretty people being funny and lusting after one another. It's escapism TV. Make us want to escape with your characters not from them.

Perhaps I should have posted this in the unpopular opinions thread, but the observation really is episode-specific and he has been looking much better this season. 

This really proved on how they really missed the boat on using Alexis and her relationship with Beckett. I mean there were tons of stories that could have happened between the two. I mean, granted Alexis is an adult now but Beckett is a stepmother now, how does that reflect her relationship with Castle?

The lack of decent Beckett/Alexis interaction since about S4 but especially since they got together makes the relationship feel unreal, it's just stupid. They could have explored so many avenues and I don't know why they shied away from doing so when it could have solved so many of their problems and given added depth to the characters. I see some fans saying how great their relationship is these days and how well it's been dealt with by the writers but sorry I don't see where it's been explored in any meaningful way. 

They coexist together in the same physical space occasionally that's all, there's been few genuine attempts to explore how they feel about each other and their changing roles. Alexis is growing up and she no longer needs her father in the same way and he's got Beckett in his life to take some of the "caring" load off her shoulders. Marlowe did say that they had plans for Alexis and Beckett next season in one foreign newspaper interview, not sure how accurate that was but I wish whoever takes over decided to do something with that idea if Marlowe does depart.  Better late than never.

The Creaseys should stick to writing eps together. Dara's was slightly better than Chad's since she does seem to try to do some continuity.

Definitely better together, they bring different things to the table as a writing partnership and they need to write together to bring those various elements out but they've blotted their copy book a bit flying solo. Dara's effort was better as a filler episode. 

The lack of decent Beckett/Alexis interaction since about S4 but especially since they got together makes the relationship feel unreal, it's just stupid. They could have explored so many avenues and I don't know why they shied away from doing so when it could have solved so many of their problems and given added depth to the characters. I see some fans saying how great their relationship is these days and how well it's been dealt with by the writers but sorry I don't see where it's been explored in any meaningful way. 

They coexist together in the same physical space occasionally that's all, there's been few genuine attempts to explore how they feel about each other and their changing roles. Alexis is growing up and she no longer needs her father in the same way and he's got Beckett in his life to take some of the "caring" load off her shoulders. Marlowe did say that they had plans for Alexis and Beckett next season in one foreign newspaper interview, not sure how accurate that was but I wish whoever takes over decided to do something with that idea if Marlowe does depart.  Better late than never.

I completely agree instead it was more: "How can we delay getting them together or married." Instead of: "How would you feel if someone like this was your future stepmother?" "How would effect you and how would you deal with it?" Of course then became: "How about we come up with a great idea for a boyfriend who is everything Alexis isn't named: Pi. Yeah, it almost writes itself." 

• Love 1

But isn't that the problem of Castle since season 4? The superficial dealing of issues? It has consequences on episodes such as these. If Alexis had been dealt with accordingly before than she would not annoy me as much now, where I can barely stand to see her. Now, I resent her so much now that I feel she takes away from the other characters. For example, why couldn't Castle be the one to talk down the flight attendant?

My Alexis-hatred is not rational and does not take away what I thought was a fun episode otherwise. I thought it was the man flight attendant who was guilty but I suck at those things. 

I don't know if I am putting this in the good thread because I think season 7 is much better than season 6 overall for the superficial dealing of issues.

I know she can't which is why I found the ending very disappointing because they're not together and there is no nice, sweet reunion given they conveniently have to carry on flying to Heathrow when it seems it would have been easier to return back but of course we can't have that as if realism has every bothered these writers. That's what I watch the show for them together - not phoning, texting or spending thousands of miles apart working a case but watching them physically interacting and play off each other as a couple.  Beckett sighing at a computer screen didn't tug at the heart strings that much I'd rather she was tugging at Castle's plaid shirt and giving him a hug and a kiss

It was more than "sighing at a computer screen," in my opinion.  I use Flight Tracker to follow my husband's or children's flights.  It's as close as I can get to being physically with them on the plane.  I know what seat they are in; I know what's on the menu; I know how many miles they are from their destination, and if it means staying up until the wee hours of the morning to watch that screen turn to "Landed," so be it.  I need to know they are safe, even before they call to confirm it.  To me, that's what Beckett was doing.  It's love, and I'd rather see those kinds of moments than Beckett and Castle in bed or in the shower.   She wasn't physically interacting with him in the same room, but she was definitely there with him in every other way.

I liked this episode.  It was entertaining, and it broke up the same old routine.   I agree with a poster above who said it was nice to see Castle being serious and mature.  I hoped the villain wouldn't be Debbie.  Not Jackie Vance!!

• Love 4

I just remembered, didn't Amann say this episode focused on two female cast members? Who besides Alexis? Is he counting Beckett?

This was terrible timing (sweeps, renewal questions) to have a basically Caskett-less episode (the first ever where they don't have any scenes together not including Skype?). I wonder if they had no choice with Stana's vacation during this time or if they really thought this would do well in the ratings.

• Love 1

I thought it was a pretty interesting episode.  It was nice to show that Castle is a smart man who can figure things out without his wife leading him around.  It was nice to see Alexis also.  I like that Castle and his daughter were going on a trip together.  Fathers and daughters should do that.

The moment at the end where Beckett saw that they had landed safely was a nice touch.  They do not have to be physically together to be together,

• Love 4

I thought it was a pretty interesting episode. It was nice to show that Castle is a smart man who can figure things out without his wife leading him around. It was nice to see Alexis also. I like that Castle and his daughter were going on a trip together. Fathers and daughters should do that.

The moment at the end where Beckett saw that they had landed safely was a nice touch. They do not have to be physically together to be together,

I agree with you, and I actually thought it was a decent episode. But I think it wasn't a good sweeps episode.
  • Love 3

Actually, the average girl who was thinking she was all grown up, liked her father's new girlfriend just fine, and was trying to get something going with the horrible "Pi", would be thrilled to have her father's attention partially diverted elsewhere.

• Love 1