Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: False Flag

Okay, thought this was a really good episode. Ben's frustration with Washington, and manupulating events to try to make Washington see reason. In real life though, Ben should have been probably much more severely punished for his transgressions.

The scene between Tallmadge and Washington was amazing, and finally you see George crack under the strain. But he was right - everyone was trying to undermine him. Very true.

JJ Feild is awesome too - loved his scenes with Peggy, and also him working on the play.

Same with Judge Woodhull. Hewett is so trusting that a man rifling through his papers can provide such a simple (and truthful) explanation and Hewett thinks nothing of it. Just watched Burn Gorman 10 minutes before TURN started playing Adam in the show Forever. Love him.

Don't care for Anna saying she does the spying/jumping in the boat for Abe. That's not the reasons the real Anna Strong spied for the Patriots.

What the hell were they doing to Benedict Arnold's leg? Turned (ha, pun) my stomach a bit. Dude should have passed out from the pain. Though his reasoning for things makes sense to me, actually. And Arnold respecting Ben's brother. Damn, awkward.

Simcoe gave Jordan his manumission papers! Awesome! That scene just tickled me. I know Simcoe is doing it for personal/selfish reasons, but it tickles me because in real history, as I mentioned before, he was instrumental in getting slavery banned in Upper Canada in 1793, way before England and of course the US. But instead of threatening Jordan, he gave him freedom papers without a second thought. I loved that. And on review, he wanted Jordan to be his second-in-command. Awesome.

Anyone find the dialogue is a bit more "modern" sounding this season? The words seem more modern than I expect at times, along with the yeah's and interactions between people. I expect more formality I guess.

Loved the introduction of the polygraphic writing device. Saw it as a demonstration at the Smithsonian's American History museum in Washington, DC. Genius idea.

Because I am a 10-year old boy, the epaulets on Tallmadge's coat made me giggle at times tonight. I know, terrible.

And because I am an adult girl, anyone find Andre and Tallmadge looking especially agreeable tonight? Even Simcoe with the longer dark hair. Looks much better on him. And I love those billowing white shirts the men are wearing.

• Love 1

I just binged the entire first season of TURN and some of the comments. One interesting part of the episode tonight is that they literally set up a spy shop, even though only a few items were seen in action.

Except for the Abe/Anna talk in the woods about how she jumped from the boat for him (which is a relationship I've never wanted and will continue to never need) I thought it was a great episode.

Poor Ben. Poor Washington. But god, poor Ben. Cutie can't catch a break this season and it doesn't look like it's going to get any better.

I continue to love Caleb and everything Caleb does. From telling Ben to get mad to playing around in the spy shop to being totally ready to knife Rogers.

This show always needs more Sackett. Ben, Washington might not want to be a father figure but Sackett could totally be your crazy, cool, Uncle.  

• Love 4

There were so many plot threads that the episode felt a little chaotic at first, but there was so much character development revealed. Ultimately, the father theme running in the background, with Abe and Richard, and the conversations of Washington, Arnold, and Ben really held this together for me. Washington is going to be the "father" of his country, after all, and being dad ain't easy.

Rogers and the dog...so weird and hilarious. I do wish there had been a little more tension wrung out of that scene in the house with Caleb, but it looks like there's still more to come with that story.

Hewlitt's journal was...kinda creepy and reminded me of middle school.

I wasn't sold on Peggy during the last episode, but Kesenia Solo was terrific this go round. The relationship with Andre is developing at just the right pace, I think. Let's hope they can keep up the promise of this triangle's development, because Anna's reference to the boat jumping was cringe-worthy. (The cinematography of that scene was sparkling, though.) Arnold will be surprised, and I dare say, ego boosted by Peggy's letter. His "We do what is right, and we live with the consequences." Like, wow!

Thank goodness for Caleb and the humor he injects. In fact, I feel in these three episodes, with him, Rogers, Sackett, and even Abe, they've done a better job of balancing the serious with moments of lightness, quirk, and dark humor. Mary offering Abe eggs at breakfast...lol.

I agree that it's also gratifying to see things like Simcoe facilitating Jordan's freedom. Sure, he's working angles, but the reference to rl Simcoe's abolition work is a nice touch. Also, rl Washington and Tallmadge did have a falling out, though it was unrelated to the show's version and occurred before the Culper Ring was created. As a history nerd, I appreciate those nods to the true record within their context of creative license.

So, yeah, Ben's about as down as he can get. Geez. Someone call Genevieve. Or something. What was it that Andre said to Abigail last season? "...perhaps find reason to smile..." Please, this, for Ben, k?

Loved the song at the end of the episode.

Edited by Kabota
  • Love 1

Rogers and the dog...so weird and hilarious. I do wish there had been a little more tension wrung out of that scene in the house with Caleb, but it looks like there's still more to come with that story.

The dog was adorable. Rogers reaction to it was basically my reaction anytime I see a dog. Chase after it and beg it to let me pet it. I wouldn't have called it dumb though.

• Love 1

Sackett -- cool, crazy uncle is right -- has the ability to compliment & insult you simultaneously. His remark to Caleb -- "you are useful, not special, learn the difference."

Andre & Ben did look really good tonight & Ben getting his ass handed to him by Washington was electrifying to watch. It's a talent palooza on this show.

I know Ben was raised religious, what era it is & that he's full of honor & decency so as not to risk leaving a woman in a lurch, but I so want Ben to get some action. Poor guy needs something to, ahem, lift his spirits.

Anna telling Abe she jumped out of that boat for him was disappointing. Some things are the same in any era. As Dr. Bailey once said to Meredith on Grey's "that's what you get for acting like a skank." He's not going to leave his wife & child, honey. When Mary was looking a little peaked/dizzy the last episode, it occurred to me there could be another child on the way too. Move it along & get your priorities back in order, Anna. Working Hewlett's crush for the cause is a good first step.

As Dr. Bailey once said to Meredith on Grey's "that's what you get for acting like a skank." He's not going to leave his wife & child, honey. When Mary was looking a little peaked/dizzy the last episode, it occurred to me there could be another child on the way too. Move it along & get your priorities back in order, Anna. Working Hewlett's crush for the cause is a good first step.

I don't think she's acting like a 'skank', any more so than Abe is acting like a skank. Both are never going to leave their families ever. That's a given. Both like each other, like screwing each other. Blame is on both sides.

It's the motivations that bother me. Abe is motivated by love of his own child (not Mary), love of his country and freedom from British tyranny.

Anna is motivated by.....love of Abe? Please. Why can't her motivations be more worldly like the men? Because she's a woman, her motivations can only be about a guy.

Come on! From right at the beginning, her husband was sent away, she lost her tavern and her life due to British meddling. That's her motivations! Not Abe but they are giving her dialogue that seems othewise.

And please do not have her get knocked up. No, no no. No baby drama please. This show is excellent with lots of rich history and conflict to pull from. It doesn't need BS manufactured baby drama.

And yes. Ben needs to *cough* relax.

• Love 2

Don't care for Anna saying she does the spying/jumping in the boat for Abe. That's not the reasons the real Anna Strong spied for the Patriots.

Except for the Abe/Anna talk in the woods about how she jumped from the boat for him (which is a relationship I've never wanted and will continue to never need) I thought it was a great episode.

Anna telling Abe she jumped out of that boat for him was disappointing. Some things are the same in any era. As Dr. Bailey once said to Meredith on Grey's "that's what you get for acting like a skank." He's not going to leave his wife & child, honey. When Mary was looking a little peaked/dizzy the last episode, it occurred to me there could be another child on the way too. Move it along & get your priorities back in order, Anna. Working Hewlett's crush for the cause is a good first step.

I find Anna an interesting character... until the scenes about the thwarted love between her and Abe start and then they both get incredibly boring. It's also a horribly reductive motivation for her spying when she has so many good reasons to act in support of the patriot cause. I don't know how this relationship is going to play out that results in a win for the viewer. Perhaps, after sacrificing her marriage to remain near Abraham, Anna will conclude that his loyalty to his wife is strong enough that their situation will always be unsalvageable and intolerable but, because they share a common cause, grits her teeth and works with him anyway. I think I'd enjoy her looking at Abe like she found him stuck to her shoe. The pair of them come off as bored adults clinging to adolescent infatuation, not fated lovers brought together by a grand passion. Their physical interactions seem awkward and guarded, even in private moments and when they touch each other it seems more about sex than intimacy.  It doesn't help that his scenes with Mary crackle with tension and strong emotion, even if they are an unhappy couple.

And because I am an adult girl, anyone find Andre and Tallmadge looking especially agreeable tonight? Even Simcoe with the longer dark hair. Looks much better on him. And I love those billowing white shirts the men are wearing.

It's a delight and it makes me grin like an idiot, not least because it reminds me of one of Bridget Jones' funniest mishaps and the scene in the Pride and Prejudice miniseries that inspired it. At least none of those white shirts are wet, I think I'd completely lose it otherwise.

I agree that it's also gratifying to see things like Simcoe facilitating Jordan's freedom. Sure, he's working angles, but the reference to rl Simcoe's abolition work is a nice touch. Also, rl Washington and Tallmadge did have a falling out, though it was unrelated to the show's version and occurred before the Culper Ring was created. As a history nerd, I appreciate those nods to the true record within their context of creative license.

As much as this is highly fictionalized, I do appreciate that they haven't entirely abandoned the idea of informing the behaviour of the various characters by what is known about their historical namesakes. I appreciated the nod to Simcoe's abolitionist leanings since the character, while entertaining, does verge on cartoonish, sociopathic moustache-twirler and needs some layers and humanity to keep him interesting. Also, it was welcome to see Washington have some pained moments rather than simply showing up to be inspiring and implacable as the great general and noble leader.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 3
Come on! From right at the beginning, her husband was sent away, she lost her tavern and her life due to British meddling. That's her motivations! Not Abe but they are giving her dialogue that seems othewise.

Yes. If the writers want Anna to be viewed as a heroine -- & I think they do -- the dialogue should reflect honorable & understandable motivations such as the losses of her spouse, home & life. Bringing Abe into it/making it all about him -- Abe who is just as guilty in the fooling around & I didn't meant to imply otherwise -- cheapens the character.

It doesn't help that his scenes with Mary crackle with tension and strong emotion, even if they are an unhappy couple.

I noticed how Abe couldn't look at Mary when she was telling him about why she loved him in the last episode. By my estimation, Mary is not a shrew, pretty & she gave Abe a beautiful son that he adores. Mary's trying to be a wife to someone who won't really let her be & I would say that's on Abe. I would even hazard to say Abe would actually be happy with Mary & Mary would be too if Abe gave Mary a real shot. Abe & Anna were childhood sweethearts & so many of those types of relationships I've seen in my own life ended because the people in them essentially outgrew eachother. Different era where those relationships continuing was more common/would go the distance but with the life-altering events that have taken place around them it strikes me Abe & Anna are in love with who they used to be -- separately & together -- & clinging to it despite the circumstances that now render it impossible for them to ever be together as they think they want to be again. It would all seem more tragic if I saw the trappings of an adult, passionate love & not puppy love. The actors are great but sometimes pairings just don't come off the way writers want them to & its not anyone's fault.

Edited by ComeWhatMay
  • Love 4
By my estimation, Mary is not a shrew, pretty & she gave Abe a beautiful son that he adores. Mary's trying to be a wife to someone who won't really let her be & I would say that's on Abe.

Oh, it's completely on Abe. Totally. That was something I always thought was odd, that Abe has from day 1 always seemed so cold and completely disgusted by his wife. I mean, she is very pretty (annoying yes), but pretty and kind and loving and he did agree to marry. I mean, was he going to live as a celibate monk for the rest of his life after he got his son?? And why - because he still has this childhood crush on Anna? Makes no sense.

And though I think Mary was stupid/too hysterical at times, I feel bad for her. I mean, she wants to get it on with Abe, and he keeps rejecting her. I think this is why I was rooting for her to hook up with the English soldier that was living at their house. He was a sweetie and a hottie.

And the 18th century is not an excuse - people have been having affairs for ages.

I love Stephen Root in any role he plays! He is awesome.

At first, I was afraid Rogers would kill the little adorable dog, but that would be a Simcoe thing to do, right?

I thought Caleb or Rogers was going to kick it. It was start yipping at them and they'd boot it away. I was so relieved that didn't happen. I think Caleb actually gave it some food to keep it quiet.

I really enjoyed this episode.  I liked the spy shop (complete with glimpse of submarine) and Caleb's childlike enthusiasm and inab ility to keep his hands to himself (because I would so do the same exact thing).

I am glad that the writers are finally giving Seth Numrich material with some depth; other than a scene or two last season, I thought that material for Talmadge was rather one-note.  He was wonderful in his scenes with Ian Kahn; I found both scenes (especially the second) froth with tension and suspense.  

I like how the show shows us that Major Andre has an interest in the arts - I like when they bring some of the real life traits of the historic figure into the show character.

Nice touch to make Abigail Agent 355.

I'm not sure how the show is planning on handling the turning of Arnold; I hope the show demonstrates Peggy Shippen's active/willing role in Arnold's defection (and not just have her be an unwilling participant).  Ksenia Solo is doing something weird when she speaks and half her lines are unintelligible (sounds like she's swallowing words).

I am not happy with Anna's "I jumped for you" crap --- she has more than enough reason to want the British gone, why does she have to come a spy because she wants to be with Abe?  What happened to the woman who scolded Abe with "they've taken my home, my husband, everything; when is it enough?"  

• Love 2

This has been an entertaining season. I think because the pace picked up a bit and we're seeing a larger picture. The Head of Intelligence isn't so much. Yeah, he needs to be more shrewd, and while it's not Washington's job to educate him, some more substantive discussion would be constructive, rather than being so dismissive all the time. 

It's a good point that Abigail is unverified and the intelligence lacked context, and Stephen Root was smart to know that she had to be verified. But, I mean, Washington has to say something a little bit more there. 

The spy room was cool.

I appreciate the slower pace with Arnold being turned. He's not necessarily fighting for the same thing Washington is. Prideful people tend to take slights a little too harshly, and one too many can tip the balance. 

• Love 1

This season seems as if it's a completely different show -- in a good way! I mean, not only has the pace picked up considerably, the plot lines have gotten 20 times as interesting, and the characters have just become a lot more three-dimensional! Even Major Hewlett is a whole lot more intriguing. I guess TPTB read these boards, after all.

Loved, loved, loved Caleb's childlike excitement in the spy lab. And as shallow as it sounds -- I could watch Washington, Tallmadge, Arnold, and Andre all day long. Sigh. 

• Love 4
(edited)
Anyone find the dialogue is a bit more "modern" sounding this season? The words seem more modern than I expect at times, along with the yeah's and interactions between people. I expect more formality I guess.

There was an episode following the Battle of Setauket (I believe), when Caleb was playing some kind of game and exclaimed "Now that's what I'm talkin' about" and it jarred me right out of the scene.   I wish they'd keep it less "modern."

I find I like Ben Tallmadge as a main character much more than Abraham Wood-dull.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1