Type keyword(s) to search

Life Away From Court: The Cast In Other Roles

Well, this thread motivated me to do something I'd been meaning to do, which was find out why Lady Rochford looks so familiar ... Gobsmacked to realize it's Jessica Raine, aka Nurse Jenny Lee, the original lead of Call the Midwife. I cannot believe I blanked on that one.

I only know Claire Foy from the miniseries of Going Postal, the bestseller by the late great Terry Pratchett.

• Love 1

I only know Claire Foy from the miniseries of Going Postal, the bestseller by the late great Terry Pratchett.

I know her from playing the title role of "Little Dorrit." I love the book, but I don't love Amy Dorrit as a character on the page. In Dickens' prose, she's a saccharine little mouse. Foy made her a mouse with a spine of steel. 

I recently saw Anton Lesser (Thomas More) play a BBC producer on "The Hour." A very quiet performance that built to a really shattering moment.

Edited by duVerre
I recently saw Anton Lesser (Thomas More) play a BBC producer on "The Hour." A very quiet performance that built to a really shattering moment.

When I first saw Thomas More, I remembered him as the Chief Superintendent on Endeavour, the series about the early years of Inspector Morse. It's the voice -- I recognized that whiny little voice immediately.

• Love 1
When I first saw Thomas More, I remembered him as the Chief Superintendent on Endeavour, the series about the early years of Inspector Morse. It's the voice -- I recognized that whiny little voice immediately.

Thomas More was busy last night, at 9pm he was counseling Cersei in Westeros, at 10pm he was pissing off the King of England.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 3

Ed Speleers who plays Edward Seymour also was in Downton Abbey playing Jimmy Kent.

Alastair Mackenzie (William Brereton) is probably best know (at least to me) for playing Archie MacDonald on Monarch of the Glen.

Harry Lloyd and Thomas Brodie-Sangster were both in the Doctor Who episodes "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood."

And I think they both had turns on Game of Thrones. 

• Love 2

This doesn't quite fit the category, but I don't know where else to put it:  Lily Lesser, who plays Princess Mary. is the daughter of Anton Lesser, who plays Sir Thomas More. 

• Love 1

There were two filmed versions of Philippa Gregory's book The Other Boleyn Girl:  a TV version with Natascha McElhone as Mary Boleyn and Jodhi May as Anne Boleyn, and a theatrical movie version with Scarlett Johansson as Mary Boleyn and Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn.

In the Johansson/Portman version, Mark Rylance plays Thomas Boleyn, their father.  Also, Benedict Cumberbatch plays William Carey (Mary's first husband) and Eddie Redmayne plays William Stafford (Mary's second husband).

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Love 3

Anton Lesser plays Qyburn. Rather an odd experience going straight from GoT to this the past three weeks.

Damien Lewis is perhaps best known as Major Richard Winters in HBO's Band of Brothers. I'm half-convinced the scene in episode 1 where he's informed that Normandy would be a good location for a military base in France was a reference to that.

I feel stupid I didn't notice since he kind of looks the same as he did on the show after Sherlock "died" but Jonathan Aris who is (was) James Bainham plays Anderson on Sherlock. 

And, Emma Hiddleston who plays Meg More is Tom's sister! 

Damien Lewis is perhaps best known as Major Richard Winters in HBO's Band of Brothers. I'm half-convinced the scene in episode 1 where he's informed that Normandy would be a good location for a military base in France was a reference to that.

Surely these days he's best known for the role that won him a Best Actor Emmy - the lead on Homeland.

And it seems like everybody goes to Westeros!

• Love 2

Basically, GoT just has so freaking many actors in it that odds are you'll find a ton of them working together elsewhere.

Lewis was also the star of Life, a pretty great cop show that was sadly killed by the 2007 writer's strike.

• Love 2

After watching last night's Game of Thrones, one thing that I liked was that Thomas More and Cardinal Wolsey were both in the episode.  It was nice seeing Anton and Jonathan again.

• Love 1

Band of Brothers, the title, is a reference to the invasion of France by Henry V, "we few, we happy few, we band of brothers! For he who sheds his blood this day with me shall be my brother, be he ever so vile, this day shall gentle his condition!"

It's all rather circular, these story lines.

• Love 1