Type keyword(s) to search

The DC Extended Universe: To Thanagar and Beyond!

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

DC’s Jim Lee on Returning to the Comic-Con Floor and the Magic of James Gunn
BY BORYS KIT    JULY 20, 2023 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dcs-jim-lee-comic-con-1235540209/ 

“Comic-Con is the event of the year for us, and we wanted to basically show up for the fans,” Lee tells The Hollywood Reporter.
“It’s amazing to have partners in Peter [Safran] and James[ Gunn], particularly James. He was a comics fan growing up and knows our mythology inside out. And having that kind of ally in the live-action space allows us to really leverage what he is doing and allow us to market and sell comic books to new readers,” says Lee. “These are people who are interested in his movies, his TV shows, and if they want to take a deep dive into these characters, he directs them to the comic books.”
Despite the excitement for the movies and TV shows, comics and publishing are still the engine for the other media divisions. Hence the focused presence at Comic-Con. This year, DC has a lean and mean presence that is just focused on the publishing side of the business. It’s not part of a larger Warner Bros. footprint, it’s not part of some large DC presence that incorporates a slew of movies and TV shows while making some space for comics and collectibles. Yes, there are two costume displays from two upcoming movies, Blue Beetle and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. But the focus is on comics and the publishing event dubbed Dawn of DC, and the iconography of artists such as Dan Mora and Daniel Sampere abound in around booth.
“At the end of the day, there’s the business of DC and then there’s the content engine that creates all the DC content, from the comics to animation and movies and stuff like that,” says Lee. “But it’s that connection between comics and media that we’re celebrating here.”

(edited)

Both animated...

DC Announces 2 More Superhero Movies Releasing In 2024
By Sam Hargrave  July 22, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/dc-superhero-movies-2024-releasing 

Following confirmation DC would unveil news about its 2024 animated movie slate at this year's San Diego Comic-Con, the blue brand has announced two new flicks set to release over next year.
The animated movies, which are expected to be home release-exclusive, join DC's only announced 2024 live-action movie of Joker: Folie à Deux - set to hit theaters on October 4, 2024.

Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths
DC will once again adapt the Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline for a new animated movie after the Multiversal tale was previously explored on The CW in the Arrowverse's final major crossover event.
Watchmen
The next movie will be Watchmen, delving into the DC mythos explored in Zack Snyder's 2009 movie and a 2019 HBO series. It's unclear if the animated movie will be a new tale in the Watchmen world, ala the HBO series, or a brand-new adaptation of the Alan Moore comic story.

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

Following confirmation DC would unveil news about its 2024 animated movie slate at this year's San Diego Comic-Con, the blue brand has announced two new flicks set to release over next year.

Hopefully they will be better than The Doom That Came to Gotham, but of course that is a very low bar.

Pretty dismal outlook for the foreseeable future.   Damian Wayne in a Batman movie and Mr. Terrific in a Superman movie.   As a lifelong "comics fan" myself, my interest level has never been lower.  Thank you, James Gunn. 

• Applause 1

DC Just Replaced The Canceled Justice League Movie The Flash Was Supposed To Set Up

In another strand of the DCU multiverse, The Flash could have set up the canceled Crisis On Infinite Earths movie, having revealed the existence of the other universes, their relationship to the DCEU's Earth, and a means to access them. Rather than having to resurrect dead actors, cast FX editors as alternate Golden Age Flash, and create a CG Nic Cage as Superman, The Flash could have used actual cameos from existing (and previous) DC timelines, including the DCAU, The Arrowverse, Reeves' Batman-Verse, Burton and Schumacher's movies, the Snyderverse, the Peacemaker timeline, Joaquin Phoenix's Joker-Verse... The impact of those and the chance to unify them on one Earth would have been incredible.

Imagine a world where The Flash's revelation of those alternate universes then led to an actual event - perhaps split into two movies, since Hollywood loves a double-header - with Barry's "Flashpoint" shenanigans leading to the rise of the Anti-Monitor. Not only would The Flash not be able to rely on the horrible CG-rendered cameos (because the characters would return in fully-fleshed-out forms), but the audience could have spent some time with them, addressing the biggest issue with those cameos. None of it would have been throw-away, and there would have been a Justice League level event that could genuinely rival Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame.

Yeah, that would have been so much more engaging and less confusing than a cohesive band of beloved heroes trying to stop a powerful villain from killing  half of all living things in the universe.  🙄

• Like 1
6 hours ago, millennium said:

DC Just Replaced The Canceled Justice League Movie The Flash Was Supposed To Set Up

Yeah, that would have been so much more engaging and less confusing than a cohesive band of beloved heroes trying to stop a powerful villain from killing  half of all living things in the universe.  🙄

It's certainly a big and interesting idea, but I can't actually see it working for real. Maybe as a TV series, but in even two movies? No. It would be rushed and messy. It's an idea that needs time to build.

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

It's certainly a big and interesting idea, but I can't actually see it working for real. Maybe as a TV series, but in even two movies? No. It would be rushed and messy. It's an idea that needs time to build.

IMO, the "Crisis" was a terrible idea from its conception.   It grew out of a corporate marketing strategy rather than creativity.   The overall effect was a lot of noise and what little story it advanced was convoluted and required too much work to understand.  And this is the opinion of someone who's been reading DC comics since the early 1970s -- God help the casual movie-goer.   I wish they would just let it go and move on.   But they can't.  Because they have nothing else.

Edited by millennium
(edited)

James Gunn Announces When DC Studios' New Movie Canon Starts
By Russ Milheim  July 27, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/james-gunn-dc-studios-movie-canon-start 

In response to a confused fan trying to make sense of Nathan Fillion's dual casting with the DCU (having played TDK in The Suicide Squad and Guy Gardner's Green Lantern in Superman: Legacy), Gunn attempted to clear things up by stating that "DC Studios movies (and canon) start with Legacy."
Sadly, while this is technically a clarification, it does make things even more confusing.

For instance, Gunn previously stated that this August’s Blue Beetle would be part of the wider DCU. It’s even claimed that the movie is fairly far removed from anything from the old DCEU, making integration into a new timeline an easy task, in theory.
It’s important to note that while Superman: Legacy will be the first DCU canon film, the timeline will technically begin sooner. The animated Creature Commandos series will be landing at some point before then, as will the Max series Waller.

Edited by tv echo

Gal Gadot Developing Wonder Woman 3 With James Gunn, Peter Safran (Exclusive)
By JAMIE LOVETT - August 2, 2023
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/gal-gadot-wonder-woman-3-james-gunn-peter-safran-dc-films/ 

Speaking to ComicBook.com's Chris Killian for her new Netflix movie Heart of Stone before the SAG-AFTRA strike, Gadot said that, as she understands it, she will be developing Wonder Woman 3 together with Gunn and Safran. "I love portraying Wonder Woman," Gadot says. "It's so close to and dear to my heart. From what I heard from James and from Peter is that we're gonna develop a Wonder Woman 3 together."
Gunn and Safran's plans for Wonder Woman in the new DC Universe are unclear at this point. Currently, there is no Wonder Woman movie among the DC movies included in the slate of projects for Chapter One of the DC Universe, called "Gods and Monsters."

However, there are plans for a Max series titled Paradise Lost, which will be a series full of intrigue set amongst the Amazons on Themiscyra. Additionally, Gunn has hinted that he's interested in developing a Wonder Woman animated series.

James Gunn Calls Out Mistake With DC's 2024 Justice League Movie Announcement
By Russ Milheim August 01, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/james-gunn-justice-league-movie-2024-announcement 

DC Studios co-lead James Gunn just called out a mistake with DC's recent announcement for its animated Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths movie.

Following the debut of DC Comics' latest R-Rated animated adaptation, Justice League: Warworld, the company revealed what was next at San Diego Comic-Con 2023.

Aiming for a 2024 release, DC Comics is looking to make an animated Crisis event film as its next project (alongside a Watchmen adaptation).
Following the announcement of a DC Universe branded Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths film, DC Studios co-CEO James Gunn came out on Threads to clear up a mistake made in the original reveal.
When asked directly if the two new animated movies are part of Gunn's new DCU, the filmmaker simply responded, "Nope."

He went on to elaborate that, "They messed up" and how "it's been corrected."

The original announcements from San Diego Comic-Con on Twitter have since been deleted.

Edited by tv echo

James Gunn Shoots Down Grant Gustin’s Flash Return Speculation
BY ANDY BEHBAKHT PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://screenrant.com/james-gunn-flash-grant-gustin-dcu-return-end/ 

Over the weekend, fans began speculating that Gunn had solved his Flash situation for the DC Universe due to him following the actor who has played Barry Allen the longest: Grant Gustin. The 33-year-old actor recently finished his run as the Scarlet Speedster on The CW as The Flash TV show ended back in May, which only further increased the speculation he'd be appearing again in the DCU.

james-gunn-on-grant-gustin-flash-return.

Edited by tv echo

David Harbour Interview: Violent Night 2 & Creature Commandos
Collider Interviews   Aug 8, 2023

[Editor's note: The following interview was conducted prior to the start of the SAG-AFTRA strike]

David Harbour gives us a positive update on the sequel to Violent Night and why he signed on to play Eric Frankenstein, the reanimated and enhanced leader of a monster-based heroic squad working with Amanda Waller, in DC’s Creature Commandos series, which is within the new DCU timeline, under James Gunn's supervision.

In addition, David Harbour reveals he has already recorded material for the animated series Creature Commandos and James Gunn considers the scripts of Creature Commandos to be some of the best he's ever written, and Harbour describes the series as "hilarious."

Edited by tv echo
28 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So who lied? Gadot to her fans or Gunn/Safon to Gadot?

Probably no one? People were blowing her comment way out of proportion in the first place. At worst, maybe Gunn to Gadot? I'm sure the conversation (if it was even that substantial) amounted to "we'll talk about it."

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Trini said:

Probably no one? People were blowing her comment way out of proportion in the first place. At worst, maybe Gunn to Gadot? I'm sure the conversation (if it was even that substantial) amounted to "we'll talk about it."

Quoted from Gadot in the article

I was invited to a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran,” Gadot said, “and what they told me, and I’m quoting: ‘You’re in the best hands. We’re going to develop Wonder Woman 3 with you. [We] love you as Wonder Woman— you’ve got nothing to worry about.’ So time will tell.”

So either Gadot lied to her fans saying she was quoting Gunn/Safran in that statement or Gunn/Safran lied to her.

If she didn't say "and I'm quoting" I'd say maybe it was blown out of proportion by Fandom but, there's not much wiggle room when you say I'm quoting.

Now, one final possibility I just thought of, it's possible they said this to her before they announced their plans to trash the DCEU and she's being a bit deceptive making it sound like a more recent discussion.

Edited by Morrigan2575
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Now, one final possibility I just thought of, it's possible they said this to her before they announced their plans to trash the DCEU and she's being a bit deceptive making it sound like a more recent discussion.

This sounds plausible.

Directors of Cancelled Batgirl Were ‘Sad’ After Seeing The Flash Movie, Still Feel There Is ‘Unfinished Business’
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   SEPTEMBER 12, 2023 
https://tvline.com/news/batgirl-cancelled-directors-reaction-the-flash-movie-1235041947/ 

Directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah “were sad” after seeing The Flash movie, which — once upon a time! — was to have been released ahead of their since-cancelled Batgirl movie.
“We watched [The Flash] and we were sad… we felt we could have been part of the whole thing,” Adil told Insider. “We didn’t get the chance to show ‘Batgirl’ to the world and let the audience judge for themselves. Because the audience really is our ultimate boss and should be the deciders of if something is good or bad, or if something should be seen or not.”

That said, “Our movie was very different than The Flash,” Adil added, saying that Batgirl had less of a fantasy element and was more grounded a la Tim Burton’s Batman films.

Adding salt to the wound, directors Adil and Bilall got to see Michael Keaton reprise his Batman role in The Flash — a thread that would have continued in Batgirl.

“It’s the biggest disappointment of our careers,” said Adil. Added Bilall, “There’s still a feeling of unfinished business.”

Edited by tv echo

From James Gunn's Threads account...

When asked if we need to watch anything prior to Creature Commandos to understand what's going on:
https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/post/Cxs-DFQxm6D?hl=en 

They will not, no.

When asked how the new Blue Beetle movie factors into the new DCU:
https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/post/Cxs_bW0xe3y?hl=en 

Xolo Maridueña will continue playing Blue Beetle in the DCU, as Viola Davis will Amanda Waller, and John Cena will Peacemaker.

When asked why we should "invest time and money in yet another shared universe":
https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/post/CxtABDwR4Mm?hl=en 

If you think of anything as “investing time and effort”, no matter what shared universe, you definitely shouldn’t be! Every story should be enjoyed and worth partaking in, in an of itself, without its attachment to an outside world. If it feels like homework, screw it. “Shared universes” should add fun to the individual stories, not the other way around. The individual stories and characters are much more important to me than the connections between them.

When asked if Freddie Stroma was "still in the plans":
https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/post/CxvkkIWxfQB?hl=en  

Yes Freddie as Vigilante is still around

Also from James Gunn's Threads account last week...

https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/post/Cxs9OFZx8iN

Nothing is canon until Creature Commandos next year - a sort of aperitif to the DCU - & then a deeper dive into the universe with Superman: Legacy after that. It’s a very human drive to want to understand everything all the time, but I think its okay to be confused on what’s happening in the DCU since no one has seen anything from the DCU yet.

https://www.threads.net/@jamesgunn/post/Cxs9OiPxec6

And, yes, some actors will be playing characters they’ve played in other stories & some plot points might be consistent with plot points from the dozens of films, shows & animated projects that have come from DC in the past. But nothing is canon until CC and Legacy. 🧜‍♂️

Edited by tv echo

I mean - it's going to be literally years until we see the actual results of the new DCU, I'm trying not to take most of any comments made now too seriously. But I'm one of those that doesn't need (or want) every movie connected to each other. And it doesn't seem that confusing to me, at least in concept (we'll see how execution goes) -- they'll be keeping some things, but not everything. Which makes sense to me; keep the things that are working.

Edited by Trini

New York Comic Con 2023: Everything Announced on Day 1, 2, and 3
BY ADAM BANKHURST     UPDATED: OCT 15, 2023
https://www.ign.com/articles/new-york-comic-con-2023-everything-announced-on-day-1-nycc 

Former Marvel comics mainstay Jason Aaron will be retuning to the DC universe in the near future as he will be one of the major creators who will be appearing in the pages of Action Comics for a new initiative called "Superman Superstars."

This new series will see different teams of creators telling new stories based on Superman and some of his biggest villains. Aaron will be working with Harley Quinn artist John Timms on "I, Bizarro."
DC Comics is officially bringing back its popular Elseworlds imprint that will take fans back into twisted alternate versions of the DC Universe. This new line will feature six new titles at the start, and it will include continutations of classic Elseworlds stories like Batman: Gotham by Gaslight alongside new stories.

The lineup includes Andy Diggle & Leandro Fernandez's Gotham by Gaslight: The Kryptonian Age, Greg Smallwood's Batman the Barbarian, Jay Kristoff & Tirso Cons' Dark Knights of Steel: Allwinter, Tate Brombal & Werther Dell'Edera's Green Lantern: Dark, Clay Mann & Seth Mann's Batman: Nightfire, and Matthew Rosenberg & Otto Schmidt's DC vs. Vampires: World War V.

Edited by tv echo

‘Superman: Legacy’ Sets María Gabriela De Faría To Play Villain The Engineer
By Matt Grobar    November 15, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/11/superman-legacy-maria-gabriela-de-faria-villain-role-1235612761/ 

EXCLUSIVE: María Gabriela de Faría, the Venezuelan actress best known for roles in Fox comedies Animal Control and The Moodys, has landed a breakout part on the film side, joining the cast of James Gunn’s Superman: Legacy.

Her character is Angela Spica aka The Engineer. Part of the Warner/DC flick’s villain team, Angie’s powers stem from nanotechnology built into her body. Created by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch, she’s the second DC character to bear the name of The Engineer and was first introduced in The Authority vol.1 #1 in 1999.

The first title in a revamped DC slate, marking Gunn’s first directorial effort as co-head of DC Studios, Superman: Legacy will follow Superman as he looks to reconcile his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing. He is the embodiment of truth, justice and the American way, guided by human kindness in a world that sees kindness as old-fashioned. Others in the ensemble, as previously announced, include David Corenswet as Clark Kent/Superman, Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane, Nathan Fillion as Guy Gardner/Green Lantern, Isabela Merced as Hawkgirl, Edi Gathegi as Mister Terrific, and Anthony Carrigan as Rex Mason/Metamorpho.

In a recent post on Threads, Gunn confirmed that the film will retain its release date of July 11, 2025, even after the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes, which have forced many other titles to push. Gunn directs from his own script, drawing on characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. DC Studios co-boss Peter Safran produces.

Christopher Nolan | WB100 Featurette | Warner Bros. Entertainment
Warner Bros. Entertainment   Nov 16, 2023

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Certainly he's a huge upgrade from Jesse Eisenberg. It'll be interesting to see what he does as someone with few redeeming features.

I mean, it can only go up from here, right? If we're looking at dramatic (not comedic) live-action portrayals, then Michael Rosenbaum is the one to compare to.

---

Also, Eve Tessmacher has been cast:

Warner Bros has set Sara Sampaio (At Midnight) for the role of Eve Teschmacher in Superman: Legacy, Deadline can exclusively reveal. ...

Sean Gunn To Play Villain Maxwell Lord In James Gunn & Peter Safran’s DC Universe – The Dish
By Anthony D'Alessandro   December 8, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/12/sean-gunn-dc-universe-maxwell-lord-james-gunn-1235659262/ 

EXCLUSIVE: We understand that Guardians of the Galaxy alum Sean Gunn is set to take on the role of evil businessman Maxwell Lord in the new DC Universe that’s being overseen by James Gunn and Peter Safran.

The role was previously played by Pedro Pascal in the 2020 movie Wonder Woman 1984.

It’s not clear if Sean Gunn’s Maxwell Lord will make a cameo in brother Gunn’s Superman: Legacy which will go into production next year. The character, as I hear it, will be referenced in the background of Legacy but will appear in future DC projects. A similar motif will occur for other characters in the new DC Universe, the first phase which is named Gods and Monsters: Chapter One. Stay tuned.

James Gunn Responds To Sean Gunn Playing Multiple Characters In DCU
Matt McGloin / Sunday, December 10, 2023
https://cosmicbook.news/james-gunn-responds-to-sean-gunn-playing-multiple-characters-in-dcu 

James Gunn has cast his brother as Maxwell Lord, and Sean played Weasel in The Suicide Squad and is voicing GI Robot in the Creature Commandos animated series.
A fan remarked on Threads accusing Gunn of lying about it, “Not casting one actor to play multiple characters huh.. you said not happening and lie detector shows that….”

Gunn shot back explaining what is going on with the castings in the DCU.

“I said, very clearly, actors will generally only be playing one character on screen, and said, in the same response, that for voice actors it’s not the same,” explained Gunn. “Sean, Alan Tudyk, Maria Bakalova, Steve Agee, etc, all play multiple roles in Creature Commandos. That doesn’t mean they won’t play different characters onscreen. So, what’s the need you have (and a handful of others) to do desperately need to believe I’m lying that you seem to purposefully ignore certain parts of what I said?”

Edited by tv echo

Charlie Hunnam Turned Down Role as DC’s Green Arrow
By LIAM NOLAN December 14, 2023
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/charlie-hunnam-turned-down-role-as-dcs-green-arrow/ 

In an interview with Comicbook.com, Hunnam was asked about fan casting of him as Green Arrow. The actor said he never talked to Zack Snyder about the role, but that he did talk to “some people in suits” about the idea, which they were excited about. “I did not share their enthusiasm,” Hunnam explained. “I don’t know who Green Arrow is. I don’t want to offend anyone. I just looked at one picture and I was like, ‘I’m not sure green’s my color, and I’m pretty sure spandex isn’t my material.'”

Zack Snyder's Possible DC Movie Return Gets Blunt Response After Rebel Moon
BY FELIPE RANGEL   PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-dc-comic-book-movie-return-response/ 

Speaking to The Atlantic, Snyder said that he is not after James Gunn to direct a new DC movie, revealing where he plans to focus his directing talents from now on. According to Snyder, he wants to continue creating original IP, such as Netflix's Rebel Moon, "that has resonance and is cool," instead of helming one of DC's upcoming movies. Check out the full quote below:

“I’m not knocking on James Gunn’s door, going, like, ‘Bro, shoot me one of those sweet movies. The holy grail is some original IP that you create, that has resonance and is cool.”

Edited by tv echo
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Zack Snyder's Possible DC Movie Return Gets Blunt Response After Rebel Moon
BY FELIPE RANGEL   PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
https://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-dc-comic-book-movie-return-response/ 

On the one hand, good. His DC movies have dismal reputations in my circles of the internet. On the other hand, so does Rebel Moon. People just don't seem to like his style. Given that people keep funding his movies, I'm not sure he has reason to care all that much. But if the money and work stop coming, we'll see what happens then.

• Like 1

On Threads, James Gunn was asked about Superman: Legacy. He responded: "It’s going swimmingly. Sets being built, costumes being finished, actors studying roles, prosthetics and VFX models being made, flights booked. Here we go."  He also indicated that more than 90% of the cast has been locked in.

(edited)

Anthony Carrigan on the End of ‘Barry’ and Playing Metamorpho in ‘Superman: Legacy’
BY KALIA RICHARDSON   JANUARY 14, 2024
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/anthony-carrigan-superman-legacy-metamorpho-barry-emmys-1234946635/ 

In Barry you played this lovable mobster, in Fox’s Batman prequel Gotham you played a hitman, and you were cast in James Gunn’s Superman: Legacy as a superhero. How do you feel about playing these antagonists? Do you have a preference when it comes to playing a superhero versus a villain?
It’s very refreshing to be playing a superhero, finally, but I don’t think it quite matters to me. My favorite game is to, no matter what I’m given, try to find the opposites. See what’s possible in terms of stretching a character in different directions. With all of my characters, I really try to find some sense of authenticity and truth on what I can relate to about the character. With Metamorpho, this is a character who was almost cursed with his powers and thought that he was freakish in terms of what he looked like and that’s something I could totally relate to because of my alopecia. 

How does your diagnosis relate to Metamorpho?
Alopecia is an interesting experience to go through because it more than anything rocks your world when it comes to your identity. You go from someone who moves throughout the world in a way that everyone looks at you and you are who you are, and then all of a sudden, things start to change on your head and on your face. People stop looking at you and they start looking at your condition, and that is a really alienating, very dehumanizing thing. Villains don’t really accept themselves all that much. Superheroes tend to. There’s this concept of acknowledging one’s journey and leading with love as opposed to bitterness and wishing that you could change. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Supergirl’: Milly Alcock, Emilia Jones & Meg Donnelly Among Those In Mix To Screen Test For Role – The Dish
By Anthony D'Alessandro   January 10, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/supergirl-milly-alcock-emilia-jones-meg-donnelly-1235711427/ 

EXCLUSIVE: We are hearing that DC Studios is planning to test actresses soon to star in Supergirl, and that Milly Alcock, Emilia Jones and Meg Donnelly are in the mix.

There is a chance the studio could make a straight offer to a star, but all things are pointing toward screen tests for actresses, which will go down within the next month or so, we hear.

Deadline understands that natch, DC Studios co-boss James Gunn is definitely part of the process, as this is a character who likely will make its debut via a cameo in a DC project that isn’t Supergirl. The search is ongoing for a director.

Edited by tv echo

Not really news, but Variety points out that Superman and Batman (and a few other DC characters) will enter public domain in a decade (or so); and there's a bit of speculation about what that might look like.

I feel like not much will change; there are already a ton fan creations, parodies, and proxies based on those characters now. What will be different is that there will probably be a few who will have the budget and cajones to actually try and make a profit off them directly.

• Like 1

James Gunn Shares Short but Positive Update on Elseworlds Black Superman Project
BY JONATHAN FUGE   January 23, 2024
https://movieweb.com/james-gunn-black-superman-jj-abrams-ta-nehisi-coates-update/

‘One Of The Things I Love About DC’: James Gunn Compares His Upcoming Superhero Movies To Game Of Thrones (Not Marvel), And Now I’m Excited Too
By Ryan LaBee      January 23, 2024
https://www.cinemablend.com/superheroes/dc-james-gunn-compares-superhero-movies-game-of-thrones-marvel

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

James Gunn Shares Short but Positive Update on Elseworlds Black Superman Project
BY JONATHAN FUGE   January 23, 2024
https://movieweb.com/james-gunn-black-superman-jj-abrams-ta-nehisi-coates-update/

::Sigh::  I wish people would stop reporting it as "the black Superman project" when no one ever said that's what it is. Who knows, maybe they'll be doing Val-Zod, but people assuming that as fact just because a Black creator is attached is a problem.

27 minutes ago, Trini said:

::Sigh::  I wish people would stop reporting it as "the black Superman project" when no one ever said that's what it is. Who knows, maybe they'll be doing Val-Zod, but people assuming that as fact just because a Black creator is attached is a problem.

It says it right in the article, they are introducing a Black Actor as Superman in this movie.

24 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It says it right in the article, they are introducing a Black Actor as Superman in this movie.

No; that's an assumption/rumor from "sources". Statements from people actually involved have never mentioned that. My issue is people reporting rumors as fact.

(edited)

The Search for Supergirl: Milly Alcock, Meg Donnelly Screen Test in Atlanta (Exclusive)
BY BORYS KIT   JANUARY 24, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/supergirl-casting-milly-alcock-meg-donnelly-1235806025/ 

Screen tests for the role took place yesterday, according to several sources, with the field now narrowed to two actresses.

Milly Alcock, best known for her work on HBO’s Game of Thrones spinoff House of the Dragon as Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, and Meg Donnelly, who starred in Disney Channel’s hit musical franchise Zombies and who voices the character in recent and current DC animated movies, both tested in Atlanta, per sources. DC Studios bosses James Gunn and Peter Safran were present.
Supergirl, who would headline her own movie, Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, after being introduced in Gunn’s own Superman movie, Superman: Legacy, is a key component of that plan.

Milly-Alcock-Meg-Donnelly-Getty-H-2024.j

Edited by tv echo

Also confirmed by James Gunn on Instagram:..

‘Supergirl’: New Woman Of Steel Is ‘House Of The Dragon’s Milly Alcock
By Anthony D'Alessandro, Justin Kroll   January 29, 2024 
https://deadline.com/2024/01/supergirl-milly-alcock-1235807989/ 

House of the Dragon actress Milly Alcock has landed the coveted role of Supergirl in James Gunn and Peter Safran’s new DC Universe.
She beat out CODA actress Emilia Jones and Meg Donnelly, the latter who voiced Supergirl in such DC animated movies as Legion of Superheroes and Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths Part One.

(edited)

Nathan Fillion Says First 'Superman: Legacy' Table Read Takes Place Next Week
By Hope Sloop    Feb 10, 2024
https://www.etonline.com/nathan-fillion-says-first-superman-legacy-table-read-takes-place-next-week-219612

Speaking with ET's Hope Sloop at a Television Critics Association panel on Saturday, The Rookie star, 52, confirmed that James Gunn is assembling another A-List team in mid-February in Atlanta and that he also has fittings for the project. 
The Firefly star also told ET that while he cannot divulge many details about the script or the project overall, he can say that he is "excited" for fans to see Gunn's spin on Clark Kent's story and how the filmmaker brings the audience into the pages of a classic comic book story. 

Edited by tv echo