Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I wish nothing but the best for the girl, especially as she humiliated herself on a national stage, but surely she had handlers who could have tried to prevent that?

Are handlers ever effective with celebrities* on a downward spiral?

Or maybe her handler tried to talk her out of drinking or performing while drunk and decided to let her humiliate herself in the hopes that she would see that she needed help.  I hope she truly gets the help she needs.

*I didn't know who she was and gave her some slack last night thinking she was a local girl they were giving a chance to fulfill a dream.  

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Johannah said:

I didn't know who she was and gave her some slack last night thinking she was a local girl they were giving a chance to fulfill a dream.  

She was announced as a four-time Grammy Award nominee. I was somewhat surprised that I'd never heard of her.

I, also, was thinking that the people surrounding her might have been employing some tough love, if her substance abuse has been an ongoing issue, in the hope that she might get the help she needs. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

There's a red carpet show on MLB Network now.  It's amazing.  What a time we're living in.

I don't have access to MLB Network, but MLB.tv is live streaming it, too.

• Like 1
(edited)

Paul Skenes has already snagged himself a modelesque girlfriend, complete with full length gown. 

eta They may have been college sweethearts, although I've never heard of her (she was apparently a gymnast). 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

She was announced as a four-time Grammy Award nominee. I was somewhat surprised that I'd never heard of her.

I, also, was thinking that the people surrounding her might have been employing some tough love, if her substance abuse has been an ongoing issue, in the hope that she might get the help she needs. 

Ah, that would require me to listen to the announcers.  I'm generally reading or playing games on my phone during baseball.  Sometimes, I just turn the sound off...maybe I should have done that during the anthem, but I like our anthem.

The media is hurtling towards making me turn on Paul Skenes.  Really getting tired of hearing about him for every single little thing.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I think there are some that knew of Paul Skenes' girlfriend, but never heard of Paul Skenes.

You'll have a reason to turn on him in a couple of years unless he instead becomes a teammate of a batter he'll pitch against should he allow a baserunner.  Or if the NL actually don't pull him extremely faster than Shelton did on Thursday.

Meanwhile, I'll have a reason to do something else after his night comes to an end

16 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

So will all these wives and girlfriends be dressed in their formal attire for the game, or do they have a change of clothes somewhere? 

I really hope it's B.

I know we've been saying this for days now, but these uniforms, especially the AL unis are just awful.

I saw on Twitter/X today that Manfred's open to discussions about returning to the old format of players wearing their team's uniforms. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

The media is hurtling towards making me turn on Paul Skenes.  Really getting tired of hearing about him for every single little thing.

Thank you! I just can't with it. It's he great? Obviously. Is he Bob Gibson, Nolan Ryan, and Roger Clemens wrapped into one? The media seems to think so. 

I really hope the AL lights him up in his inning. And I'm a big NL girlie.

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I know we've been saying this for days now, but these uniforms, especially the AL unis are just awful.

I saw on Twitter/X today that Manfred's open to discussions about returning to the old format of players wearing their team's uniforms. 

The more I’m watching, the more those tan unis are pissing me off.  Also I will neither confirm nor deny if I will be going on mlb.com to look for a Judge jersey.

• LOL 3

All the Texas-y bits were fun. I especially loved the rodeo flags-on-horses.

I always cringe when the focus in on non-Americans during the anthem. I just feel *so* uncomfortable for them. I mean, they're all respectful, of course! But maybe focus on one of the many American players that might be having a genuine moment, and leave Shohei out of frame for once? 

It's telling that all the promotional pieces are of the guys in their own team's uniforms. 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

WHY are the National League stirrups tan?  They don’t MATCH.

Because the commissioner hates baseball. 

And if he does indeed, go back to the Way It Was In The Good Old Days, I will not put that in one of the surveys I get from Fans At Bat.  But just one. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I did hear a few people yelling "O" during the anthem.  That made me happy.

GF (Baltimore native) and I went to see the Orioles play the Royals when we were in KC earlier this year. We ended up in a section of O's fans, and everyone around us (GF included) did it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know, I hate the all star break. I don’t give a shit about it anyway and there’s no baseball.

• Like 5

Yeah it sucks.  BTW, I thought a couple of teams (or twice as many) played on the Thursday after the All Star festivities.  I guess the extra time off is in the collective bargaining agreement.

Of course, as has been the tradition for at least the most part, the final professional golf major usually starts on the Thursday after all of the events, which follow the Wimbledon final weekend.  However, the action starts and ends super early due to its location.  FWIW, the early tee times occur before people turn in on the West (and even East) Coast!

Nonetheless, it does suck, especially this year.  I'll probably turn in early despite the fact that my weekend is about to start

1 minute ago, Carey said:

I thought a couple of teams (or twice as many) played on the Thursday after the All Star festivities.  I guess the extra time off is in the collective bargaining agreement.

That was the year that the season started late because of the lockout. They were making up the games missed from the first of the season. The all star break is usually four whole days for everybody.

• Thanks 1

Excellent news, but I think they should definitely have him participate in some rehab games. Big G always comes back slowly following an injury. Let him work out the kinks at Scranton/Somerset. 

• Like 2

I was at a restaurant so could see the play but not hear it, but if anyone saw Juan Soto’s Little League home run, would you be able to tell me why he was able to advance from third?

11 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was at a restaurant so could see the play but not hear it, but if anyone saw Juan Soto’s Little League home run, would you be able to tell me why he was able to advance from third?

The ball went into dugout.

Tonight was the first time I actually looked at JD Davis and he looks like the Little People figure I had when I was small who had a pot on his head.

• LOL 3
(edited)

A. I can’t believe how many San Diego fans were in the ballpark in Washington to watch a game at 1 on a Thursday 

B. It’s a shame that including the San Diego faithful there were like 12 fans in the ballpark

C. Dylan Cease is actually W. B. Mason 

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 3

I don't have kids but is it weird to bring a teeny tiny infant- like tiny- and sit in the front row of right field where all the home run balls go?

Or am I being too judgmental? 

She is super cute but super distracting lol.

It's also the inevitable drunk crowds that would make me nervous. Like getting in and out of here is stressful for me, as couldnt imagine it with a tiny baby 

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, cleo said:

I don't have kids but is it weird to bring a teeny tiny infant- like tiny- and sit in the front row of right field where all the home run balls go?

Or am I being too judgmental? 

She is super cute but super distracting lol.

It's also the inevitable drunk crowds that would make me nervous. Like getting in and out of here is stressful for me, as couldnt imagine it with a tiny baby 

Unfortunately not weird, but IMO, not really smart.  But I don't have kids either and I really don't understand bringing those that are that small anywhere.  Every Sunday at the ballpark, I see parents with kids who are carrying around ginormous bags filled with infant supplies and/or who knows what so the older kids will be amused because they certainly aren't amused by the game.  I guess I don't get why they don't start out with minor league games - they're cheaper, closer to the field (so the kids can feel like they're almost part of it) and have playgrounds and stuff to keep them occupied if the game isn't doing that. 

The infant thing I truly don't get. 

And...get off my lawn!! 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Unfortunately not weird, but IMO, not really smart.  But I don't have kids either and I really don't understand bringing those that are that small anywhere.  Every Sunday at the ballpark, I see parents with kids who are carrying around ginormous bags filled with infant supplies and/or who knows what so the older kids will be amused because they certainly aren't amused by the game.  I guess I don't get why they don't start out with minor league games - they're cheaper, closer to the field (so the kids can feel like they're almost part of it) and have playgrounds and stuff to keep them occupied if the game isn't doing that. 

And...get off my lawn!! 

A really tiny infant is surprisingly portable.  Mom can put the little one in a sling and even breastfeed discreetly.  A couple diapers in the bag, maybe a onesie just in case, and they're good to go.  Newborns sleep most of the time anyway.  I do worry about really young infants in the hot sun though.  Babies are really susceptible to heat related stress.

It's the older kids, especially the toddlers, that I find difficult to understand.  MLB tickets ain't cheap, it would probably cost less to hire a sitter for 4 hours rather than buy a seat the kid won't sit in for more than 10 minutes anyway.  

I have Guardians' season tickets and they do have a kids' play area with lots of stuff for very little kids up to teens.  A friend who shares tickets with me used to take her 2 kids when they were small and she and her husband would take turns sitting in their seats while the other parent watched the kids play.  There are TV monitors there so the parents can keep up with the score.  I will say her kids, now second and fourth grade, have come to love baseball and sit and watch the game really attentively and even keep score, so the early exposure may have paid off.

• Like 9

I do see more parents using noise cancelling earmuffs on infants, and I applaud that since it's really loud in the ballpark.  We sit in the shade (always!) but I do hope they're using sunscreen.  

There's a play area at Camden Yards, but as you say @Notabug, tickets aren't cheap and around here, there are at least 3 minor league teams.  I like to think I'd start kids there, but what do I know? I discovered my fandom watching games on TV and listening on the radio.  We didn't go to games until I was at least 10.

Did I already say get off my lawn?  😄 

• Like 3
(edited)
14 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I do see more parents using noise cancelling earmuffs on infants, and I applaud that since it's really loud in the ballpark.  We sit in the shade (always!) but I do hope they're using sunscreen.  

There's a play area at Camden Yards, but as you say @Notabug, tickets aren't cheap and around here, there are at least 3 minor league teams.  I like to think I'd start kids there, but what do I know? I discovered my fandom watching games on TV and listening on the radio.  We didn't go to games until I was at least 10.

Did I already say get off my lawn?  😄 

We've got 3 minor league teams all less than an hour's drive from Cleveland, too, and I would certainly start my kids there, if I had any.  The minors have smaller parks and cheaper seats, so kids can get really close.  The players tend to be very friendly and interact with the crowd during batting practice, etc; so the kids can get an autograph or a photo or even a ball pretty easily.  The minor league teams also concentrate on entertainment and there is music, games and other stuff geared to kids which make it a lot more fun for them.

I became an Indians fan listening to the games on the radio on the porch with my grandfather back when I was 9-10.  Most games were not televised back in the '60's.  The Indians really sucked back then, they'd do something stupid and my grandfather would mutter "G_d d---ed Indians!" and snap the radio off only to turn it back on a couple minutes later.  Got to my first game after the Cleveland Press gave me free tickets for straight A's; we got 7 pairs of general admission tickets.  If I hadn't gotten free tickets, I don't know when I would've gotten to go in person.

My whole family were big fans, my dad's uncle was a bullpen coach during the glory days in the 40's and 50's and my dad had a charmed childhood watching batting practice from the bullpen.  Got to go into the locker room and hang with the guys, too.  We've got family photos of various Indians hanging out at my grandmother's including one of a drunken Al Rosen dancing on the kitchen table at my aunt's first communion party.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

In the shade, but no noise canceling headphones 

Ah well. I am probably hyper sensitive about these kinds of things atm. 

We usually sit by the open/raised bullpen so there are always kids here hanging iver the rail.

The families that get me are the ones who leave early. So you pay a minimum of $100 a ticket for 2 to 4 people and leave after an hour? I don't get it.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Yankees reportedly acquire Jazz Chisholm Jr. from Marlins.

Hadn't heard this. Thanks.

Jack Curry says there's supposedly another deal in the works, too. 

Off to learn more...

• Like 1

I remember those commercials well, where he asks Jeter, "You sound familiar. Do I know you?" 😄

I was also unaware that Randy Arozarena was traded to the Mariners yesterday. I'm very glad he's not in the AL East anymore! That's two Yankee killers gone. I've already spoken about how glad I was when Teoscar Hernandez was gone from the AL East. Unfortunately, the last one's not going anywhere and, as he so often does, put the final nail in the Yankees' coffin just last night. Devers has been kryptonite for the Yankees since his first game against them. I have nothing but respect for all three of those guys.

I like Chisholm, but was an outfielder the way to go? Jasson Dominguez is rehabbing in AAA now. What are they going to do when he's ready? I still think we need pitching more than anything else. Then again, what team doesn't? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ebk57 said:

And...get off my lawn!! 

I don't understand why you would take a child to a sporting event when they don't understand what's going on. IMO it's a waste of money unless the ticket was free.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I like Chisholm, but was an outfielder the way to go?

Marlins moved him to the outfield just last year, Jazz was a 2B before that for years.

• Useful 1