Type keyword(s) to search

Panel Wish List

Kromm

Consider this a kind of inverse to the Favorite Panel topic.  Not to talk about who you enjoyed seeing already on the show (which that other topic covers), but about who hasn't been on yet that you'd like/love to see.  

Anyone.  Obviously there's a preference for comedians, but we've also seen great appearances for non-comedians, so if you think they can hack it, suggest it.

One caveat: you CAN under my arbitrary rules post a repeat appearance of a former panel member under ONE circumstance--if you are proposing a whole "theme" show that @Midnight hasn't done before.  For example, Michael Ian Black was on as part of a The State reunion theme show.  You could re-propose a Michael Ian Black appearance as part of a "new" panel, for example, based around the theme of a reunion for the show "Ed" (if he for example appeared with Tom Cavanaugh and Daryl "Chill" Mitchell as his co-panel members)

BTW: before you post someone, you should probably check to see if they've actually appeared on the show already.  You can do so via what appears to be a fairly well maintained Wikipedia @Midnight epiosdes page, with the usual warning that Wikipedia can be fallible:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_@midnight_episodes

I actually hope the media aware staff of @Midnight twigs to the existence of this forum, and this and the other topic for faves who have already appeared, and take on some of our suggestions.  I don't expect them to actually ever post or acknowledge taking suggestions, but would love the surprise of people we talk about actually popping up some weeks or months later.  

Edited by Kromm

Using Hardwick's connections, how about a Breaking Bad themed episode?

Vince Gilligan, Aaron Paul, and Jonathan Banks

OR

Bryan Cranston, Bob Odenkirk, and Dean Norris

Substitute Giancarlo Esposito for anyone who can't make it.

About the only issue I could think of with those is that they seem to not want to cast more than one non-stand-up and/or improv person per episode.

I'd love to see Bob Odenkirk with David Cross, a Mr. Show reunion.

I think Nick Kroll would be awesome, along with a couple of the guys from The League.

I'd also love to see the Workaholics cast too.

• Love 3

I know it's predictable, but I'd like to see a Seinfeld reunion.

The logical three would be Jerry, Larry David, and Michael Richards (who could mock himself and his own troubles).  In a pinch though Jason Alexander or Wayne Knight could be the non-stand up third person.

While it's unlikely Jerry would do it, it's not impossible.  He'll do the occasional thing that speaks to being a stand-up rather than a mega-celeb.

• Love 1

Oh, here's one that just came to me.  He likely would never do it, and I don't know if asking him would even occur to the show, but I'd kill to see Norm MacDonald.

• Love 1

A Mr. Show episode would be great. Paul F. Tompkins could slot in next to Bob and David. This is mostly because I like lots of PFT, and I know he'd take the show seriously.

• Love 1
(edited)

Assuming the show could actually negotiate Louis C.K. to be on (these days, probably as hard a "get" as Seinfeld or Chris Rock), I've been trying to think about who to put on a panel with him.  It can't be small fries who will be easily overwhelmed by him, but it also probably shouldn't be a super-stuffed episode with other comedians as "big" as he is currently (that's kind of like shooting your wad, unless its a theme episode where having multiple big stars is totally necessary).

For some strange random reason--I have no totally NO idea if they've ever worked clubs together or have any chemistry at all--my mind went to Margaret Cho (another person it would be fun to have on).  Not a huge star, but a medium big one who wouldn't be overwhelmed by Louis totally.

The third person is tough.  I'm thinking again, a tier below Louis in current fame, but still medium big, so... Patton Oswalt (who's been on @Midnight already, so he's totally gettable).

Edited by Kromm

Any three Kids in the Hall would be great.

If we had Key and Peele, who would make a good third?

Ian Roberts, maybe? He's the showrunner for Key & Peele, and he's already been funny on the show in the UCB reunion show.

Another pie-in-the-sky (unlikely to actually happen) wish. 

Most of Monty Python wouldn't want to be involved in anything like this show.  But ONE would, I think, based on his (in my mind at least) staying a bit closer to pure comedy as a career.  Eric Idle.

Of course Idle will be busy soon with that ridiculous Python reunion (aka The Parade of Old Men).  But if he's in LA at some point, he'd be on my wishlist. 

In fact, if money was no object and anyone suitable could be flown in, I'd do the following "British Comedy" panel:

Eric Idle.  Eddie Izzard.  

Third spot is tough.  Ideally Ricky Gervaise.  But Ricky is also a tough (probably impossible) get.  Billy Connolly could do it--but again its a "fly him to the US" kind of thing (not ideal).  But then I had the wacky idea of John Oliver.  Which makes TOTAL sense for a Comedy Central show.

I find the pie in the sky wishes fun, but realistically I have to start thinking about some younger (in other words more realistic) wish listers.

It would be great to see Stewart and Colbert.. with maybe Lewis Black, Wyatt Cenac,  Mo Rocca or John Oliver?

Jeffrey Ross would be awesome.

I'd like to see Bob Newhart with Don Rickles.. (apparently they are friends in real life.)  although I don't know how two old comedians would fare on a show about internet trends, lol.

Oh, here's another theme. A MADtv reunion. You could do "early years" with Artie Lange vs. Phil LaMarr vs. Nicole Sullivan.  or "middle years" with Will Sasso vs. Mo Collins vs. Bobby Lee.  Or "later years" with... okay that's tougher.  Other than the leftovers from the middle years I don't really know any of the people from the later years.

I know she's on the wrong coast, but I'd love to see evidence that Hardwick and Jenny McCarthy buried the hatchet (not that I know of anything specific between them, other than a rumor they dated), with her coming on this show.  I'm supposing she could keep up, despite her idiotic position on vaccines.

Actually what might be neat is a bill with Jenny, her cousin Melissa (who's TV show sucks, but who's capable of being funny) and some random third person (maybe who's worked with both of them, if such a person exists, but who's a comedian by trade ideally).

Well, now that he's no longer in direct competition, how long before Pete Holmes is a guest?

There could be a theme panel consisting of canceled TV hosts (talk and panel shows inclusive).  Pete Holmes, W. Kamau Bell, and George Lopez.  Or if Lopez is too lame (I certainly think so), maybe slot in Anthony Jeselnik.

• Love 2

In a perfect world, I'd ask for two Whose Line episodes -- UK and US.  Tony Slattery, Steve Frost, Josie Lawrence, Paul Merton, Stephen Fry, anyone!

US, of course, Greg, Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles, Brad Sherwood, etc etc etc.

Oh, and maybe a Reno 911 reunion episode.  

Well, now that he's no longer in direct competition, how long before Pete Holmes is a guest?

I think he may have slipped in somewhere in the past few months, but he's also on the show Wed. Nov. 19.

In a perfect world, I'd ask for two Whose Line episodes -- UK and US.  Tony Slattery, Steve Frost, Josie Lawrence, Paul Merton, Stephen Fry, anyone!

Most of the UK comics are a real reach, since they don't work in the US, but I'd kill to see Stephen Fry on this show.

• Love 1

Swiped from the "Favorite Panel Member" thread (when it went briefly negative):

My least favorite panelists are Whitney Cummings and Chris D'elia. Those two can stay off my screen permanently.

See this gave me an idea (and this is definitely the best "idea" thread for panels). I agree Whitney Cummuings gets hard to take at times. And yet I HAVE seen her be fairly funny in other venues in the past (not her shitty sitcom, but actually, she's been very good on the Comedy Roasts).

What I think might be interesting is to see Cummings and Sarah Silverman on the same episode. Why? First to prove that they aren't secretly the same person. Second, I could see them either playing really well together OR really badly. And frankly EITHER way it might be amusing. And for the third, toss in someone like Amy Schumer, and we'll have either a total female comedian ego meltdown (since they all occupy a similar niche and are basically each other's direct competitors for work), or a genius episode, or BOTH at the same time.

• Love 1

Three or four of the younger set of guys from Mad Men were on The Soup a couple of times with good timing. Elizabeth Moss can be very very funny.  I would not mind a Mad Men cast panel including Hamm to pimp the second part of the finals season this coming new year.

• Love 1

Loved the Archer show with Chris Parnell, Aisha Tyler and Judy Greer but would swap any of those for H. Jon Benjamin. Or do a Bob's Burgers with Benjamin, Kristen Schaal and Eugene Mirman.

Edited by DiegoBurger

Loved the Archer show with Chris Parnell, Aisha Tyler and Judy Greer but would swap any of those for H. Jon Benjamin. Or do a Bob's Burgers with Benjamin, Kristen Schaal and Eugene Mirman.

I believe they've all been on it already--just not at the same time.

Kristen Schaal and Eugene Mirman were on an episode with Doug Benson. I think H. Jon Benjamin is firmly in New York, which limits @midnight's opportunities to grab him.

I don't really remember him being on, but oddly enough I have some vague memory of "Jon Benjamin Has a Van" being mentioned on @midnight.  Then again, I just realized... I think that was cancelled awhile back so I was probably mistaken.

I'd really like to see Julie Goldman & Brandy Howard from The People's Couch. Since I mentioned that Wheaton hasn't been a guest for a while and was informed that he's scheduled next week, I expect Julie and Brandy to be invited pronto. Make it so!

I'd like to see some of the British comedians from Mock the Week. I'm not sure Milton John would translate, but some of the others would do at least as well as Rhys Darby and the other New Zealanders and Australians who've shown up.

I'd like to see some of the British comedians from Mock the Week. I'm not sure Milton John would translate, but some of the others would do at least as well as Rhys Darby and the other New Zealanders and Australians who've shown up.

Oh, if we're going with Wish List and British: John Cleese, Michael Palin and any other currently living Python.

Over in the Episode topic we joked about Rich Hall being on (because someone just said "Rich" meaning Rich Eisen.... who's not even a comedian). That got us back to the subject of UK based comedians, since as odd as it seems, that's what Hall has been now for decades (their top token yank they put on their panel shows). 

I'll reiterate the notion that I'd kill to see Stephen Fry on this show--and with him leaving QI he'll have more time. 

We got Jimmy Carr already, and while I don't hate him he wouldn't have been top of my UK list. Billy Connolly  might be. I thought maybe I remembered him already being on, but I can't find the proof. I wouldn't mind Bill Bailey, or Sarah Millican, or French and/or Saunders, or Mitchell and/or Webb, or Sue Perkins (unlikely with her Bake Off schedule). I'd love to see Lenny Henry, but I doubt he'd ever have a reason to visit L.A. (like a lot of these folks really), so this would likely only work if the show did a week or two in London, or frankly an even more likely location to make it happen would be the Edinburgh Festival Fringe--which is Aug 5 - Aug 29 this year, so it may be when @midnight is out of season (which could be good for such a thing, if they're willing to tape and air months later, or bad if it just means that Hardwick would want the time for some other project). 

At the Edinburgh Festival Fringe you'd actually get a lot of the younger hipper UK comedians (I've named a lot of old fuddy duddies admittedly). 

2 hours ago, Kromm said:

..., or French and/or Saunders, or Mitchell and/or Webb, or Sue Perkins (unlikely with her Bake Off schedule). I'd love to see Lenny Henry, but I doubt he'd ever have a reason to visit L.A.

Maybe with the release of the AbFab movie, they could do the creators of the TV show & one of 'em could bring her husband in tow?

(edited)
31 minutes ago, fastiller said:

Maybe with the release of the AbFab movie, they could do the creators of the TV show & one of 'em could bring her husband in tow?

If you mean Dawn French and Lenny Henry, I believe their marriage broke up 7 or 8 years ago. Although French and Saunders is completely separate from AbFab, since Saunders partner in that was Joanna Lumley. 

Edited by Kromm
(edited)
19 hours ago, Kromm said:

If you mean Dawn French and Lenny Henry, I believe their marriage broke up 7 or 8 years ago. Although French and Saunders is completely separate from AbFab, since Saunders partner in that was Joanna Lumley. 

I didn't realize till now that Henry & French split up.  I do think that French & Saunders were the creative team on AbFab the TV series. I know IMDb isn't always correct, but it's telling me that French wrote 39 episodes of the show.  

Edited by fastiller
On 5/17/2016 at 8:10 AM, fastiller said:

I didn't realize till now that Henry & French split up.  I do think that French & Saunders were the creative team on AbFab the TV series. I know IMDb isn't always correct, but it's telling me that French wrote 39 episodes of the show.  

Actually if you click into her writer credits for the show, you see they have an interesting caveat next to them...

(idea)

It sounds like some kind of honorary writing credit based on her and Saunders coming up with the original idea (I believe it might have been a skit on the French and Saunders show at least once), but them not actually doing the eventual show together. At least that's my take on seeing that kind of credit, and also knowing she never appeared on the series. And well... there only WERE 39 episodes of the show. Do you think it's likely she wrote every last one of them?  I also think they had something rare for any UK-based talent--their own production company.  Which co-produced AbFab.

It did start on French & Saunders, with Dawn as Saffron. But when it became a series, Jennifer Saunders decided to get someone more age-appropriate for the role. Not completely age-appropriate, since Julia Sawalha's only ten years younger than Jennifer, but Dawn French is actually a year older than Jennifer.

(a million more words about AbFab deleted to spare everyone)