Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: Girl Meets First Date

*Season 1 finale

In a way that's almost totally irrelevant, because the Season 2 episodes supposedly start "Spring 2015".  So... real soon.

Even the production of the episodes I think were pretty much on the heels of each other.  Season 1 Episode 20 is strictly a break point mostly because it's the end of the initial commitment they had for episodes.  

This is common practice on the Disney Channel.  Their season goes all year long.  They don't follow the standard season scheduling.  There is good and bad to this.  New shows all year, but many weeks with out new shows.

Just started watching this episode. Started out promising.

Not so much now. Disney has now 'Disneyfied' dating O_o with nosey noseying. WTF?!

That stuff is stuff that parents do with their kids when they were young. Not when teens go on dates. They kiss.

Are they scared to show kissing now?

The rest of the episode was ok though. Glad they recovered from that, whatever it was at the beginning of it O_o.

In a way that's almost totally irrelevant, because the Season 2 episodes supposedly start "Spring 2015".  So... real soon.

Even the production of the episodes I think were pretty much on the heels of each other.  Season 1 Episode 20 is strictly a break point mostly because it's the end of the initial commitment they had for episodes.

There will definitely be at least one new episode in April.

The writers and some cast members have been teasing on Twitter a special episode called "Girl Meets Demolition", which supposedly takes place between seasons 1 and 2 and will air in April. (But, this episode supposedly has the production code 207, implying it takes place in the middle of season 2, but they swap episodes around regardless of production codes a lot anyways)

Then there was just recently a press release from Disney Channel saying an episode called "Girl Meets What the What" will air on April 17.

So it's a little confusing. But I definitely think we'll get an episode in April, with the rest of season 2 following soon after.

Other than Maya, Josh, and a few of Cory's scenes, I didn't care for it.

Lucas and Riley do nothing for me, so putting them together just makes them even more boring. I swear, the only time that guy shows any personality in this series is in his scenes with Maya.

Speaking of personality, Topanga still doesn't have one. Whats the point of her. I think the only time I enjoyed her all series was in one brief scene tonight where they made fun of Corpanga's horrible continuity and what was considered her and Cory's first date. It ultimately ended "No, wait, that was his first date with Shawn." So true

Auggie and Ava are still an annoying waste of screentime.

Farkle wasn't as annoying as usual, but was still pretty pointless.

Cory's interaction with Maya was his best stuff tonight. I don't care about any of the crap concerning Riley and Lucas.

Josh was great. I'm really liking him as a character and his comedic timing is pretty good too. He reminds me of Eric and Jack.

Maya/Josh would be great as friends, but as he is way too old for her I hope they don't go anywhere with them as a ship.

• Love 1

I never want to see Maya hurt. What a sad puppy. Sabrina and the act or who plays Josh do have chemistry and I think their age are closer in real life right? But yeah on the show he's way to old for her so ill just have to settle for Maya and Riley because Riley has way more chemistry with Maya than she does with Lucas. I kind of don't really care for the Lucas character. He is the definition of a Mary She in my eyes.

Farkle creeps me out and they need to do something about Cory and Topanga's characterization in the writing and Danielle and Ben need to go back to acting school because Sabrina is out acting everyone on the show.

Like most GMW episodes I was not especially interested. I was really excited before watching because we have been waiting FOREVER for Riley and Lucas to make a move. Honestly, I don't understand how in the world it took so long when they both knew that they liked each other? I find it unrealistic that two teenagers aware of their attraction for one another would just let it fester in the background for literally no reason, but whatever. 

Riley and Lucas was bland as I expected. A problem is that there is zero chemistry between the two. Objectively, I see why they like each other, but I'm sure the actual relationship will not last very long. They are too sweet. I feel like they're going to get bored. 

Lucas still looks older than Riley, but she looked a bit older this episode so it wasn't a huge issue as it sometimes can be. Maya looked older as well. Seriously, hiphugger jeans and high heel ankle boots? Maybe instead of trying to age Riley up with outfits they should age Maya down more. 

Auggie and Ava continue to irritate me. I do not find their storyline amusing in the least. The fact that Cory and Topanga allow their 5 year old son to be taking a silly kid thing so seriously shows how loose they are as parents. I wouldn't mind Auggie and Ava playing around being married or anything. They're kids. Lots of kids play house. But they are acting way too serious for two kids. 

Josh and Maya are cute. I'm glad Josh has made it clear that it's not going to happen though. But I enjoyed that he was taken down a peg because he was a bit harsh with Maya. 

Topanga's jab at continuity made me laugh. Farkle continues to make me uncomfortable with his harassment of the girls.

About Josh and Maya - I haven't seen the episode yet, did they finally reveal Josh's age?  It should be 17 - they implied he was driving in the Christmas episode, and BMW established his birthday as Valentine's Day.  That would make it a three-year difference with the 14-year-old Maya.

Yeah Maya said they are three yrs apart and he was interviewing for colleges where he too got rejected for being there yrs younger. Ha. If this show was on ABCFamily the age difference wouldn't matter let's be honest. lol

• Love 2

I hate this Riley & Lucas romance crap. They have no chemistry and they're BORINGzzz. And Riley seems like an immature 9 year old compared to mature Lucas (referring to her giddy and giggly yes to him asking her on a date).

And I'm sorry can they Judy Winslow Auggie and Ava. Their scenes  are a waste of time and they're annoying. Can they act like real five/six year old kids please. I'm AVA..MORGEN..STERNNN (AAHH SHUT UP!)

Lucas is a block of wood with no personality. I don't care about him or the horrible actor playing him. He's so stiff and wooden.

Farkle was kind of annoying too.

Topanga is useless and hope Cory mans up next season because acts like such an immature man child who freaks out at the tiniest things.

And what was up with that 20 year old blondie and 6 year old looking kid in the classroom scene. That was stupid.

Best part of this episode were Maya and Josh. They're the best actors on the show.

• Love 4

I'm glad this wasn't on the Dick Week train (if that was even considered, I'm glad it didn't happen). While a few of the characters on the show might marginally qualify as vaguely dickish, it would have felt weird considering them in that light, given that this is at least 84% kids show (okay, if we're being real, 94%).

I never want to see Maya hurt. What a sad puppy. Sabrina and the act or who plays Josh do have chemistry and I think their age are closer in real life right? But yeah on the show he's way to old for her so ill just have to settle for Maya and Riley because Riley has way more chemistry with Maya than she does with Lucas.

If they cast a puppet, or an actual block of wood (vs. Lucas, who's just like one), or a green screen with nothing on it, Sabrina would manage to have chemistry with it.

Speaking of personality, Topanga still doesn't have one. Whats the point of her. I think the only time I enjoyed her all series was in one brief scene tonight where they made fun of Corpanga's horrible continuity and what was considered her and Cory's first date. It ultimately ended "No, wait, that was his first date with Shawn." So true

Auggie and Ava are still an annoying waste of screentime.

Farkle wasn't as annoying as usual, but was still pretty pointless.

Topanga COULD be good, but for some reason the writing falls down even worse with her than most of this show. Danielle Fishel is a fairly interesting person, so it's frustrating to see her so badly used.

Auggie has been annoying since Day 1 of this series, and Ava only magnifies the aura of suck. Given that they aren't likely to write Auggie out--and in fact the showrunners seem enamored of both him AND the Ava character--I have to presume they've done some testing and these two must score high with actual kids in that demographic watching the show (since the show skews from 5-6 year olds all the way up to adults). So we're stuck with them, I think.

Farkle... I dunno. Some eps he seems tolerable, but some just a lame lame (and repetitive) plot device.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 1

I really didn't like this episode at all.  Ava is nails on a chalkboard and I really don't get the writers being so enamored by the character.  It's grating.

It's not that I necessarily have a problem with someone Riley's age going on an innocent date so much as Riley acts/talks like she's 9 half the time.   She and Lucas have zero chemistry as well.

I also agree there is no continuity with Farkle.  Some episodes he's good and shows depth and then others he's a plot device who seems to serve no purpose than to creepily hit on Maya and Riley.

I also in general just feel like the writers on this show try way too hard to be deep and it's just not that serious.  It's like they feel every episode needs to have some deep, deep meaning, but as a result the characters don't talk like real people.

• Love 1

The thing I liked most about this episode was the gladiator style knee high sandals Riley wore on her semi-date with Lucas. Anyone know where I can find them? I am not a 14 year old girl but they were really cute.

If there was an annoying little girl like Ava in my building my door would be padlocked like I was hiding a body from the cops. No one she would find a way in!

Edited by Texasmom1970

I thought this episode might show us our first glimpse of Shawn living NYC. I don't know why I thought that…I just did. 

Not really interested in the teen drama but the girl that plays Maya can ACT! She was really good. Rest was meh!

• Love 1

I really didn't like this episode at all.  Ava is nails on a chalkboard and I really don't get the writers being so enamored by the character.  It's grating.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the writers. This show is on Disney and they may feel (or have a mandate being imposed on them from "management") that they need characters that the lower ages "identify" with and/or find "ha ha" funny.Chances are they have testing done, where they put a bunch of 5-6 year olds in a room, play episodes for them, and ask them what they liked and didn't like about what they just saw. Enough "Auggie is silly!" (as a compliment, not a criticism) and "Ava is funny, especially when she gets Auggie's mommy mad!" and guess what? It stays in the show.

No proof here. Just an idea of how, when you're dealing with the likes of Disney, it could happen.

Disney should be thanking God that they hired Sabrina Carpenter because she is the ONLY thing that makes Girls Meets World watchable.  She practically carries everyone on the show on her back whenever she's in a scene.  That includes the older actors like Ben Savage, who I never would have guessed had prior acting experience watching his embarrassing performance on this show.

It's hard to view Riley dating with any kind of seriousness as she acts like a nine-year-old.  Still, that makes her about three years more mature than her father, who is so over-the-top with everything and uses his "History in the Most General Terms" classes as his own personal forum to air out problems with his daughter.

I'd love to find out who in Disney thinks more Auggie and Ava is a good idea.

• Love 3

Hmm someone need to remind Cory and Topanga what they were doing with each other at age 14. I would have actually thought Cory would act like a flipping ADULT in dealing with his daughter dating but in the end he acts like some doofasss that has never kissed a girl or dated before.

I can't help it but whenever I see Ava Morgen-----stein!! I think Ava Franken____stein!!

Auggie and Ava. Sorry guys, I switch off mentally or FF>> along cause I'm just not into that whole A/A thing.

Lacklustre episode making a huge deal about first dates with little not no chemistry between the actors.

Farkle has turned out to be more of a stalker with obsessive traits than a actual reasonable character, though he does have potential if they wrote him differently.

The intro as Josh spending the summer and hopefully in more Ep's is interesting but Maya needs to get over him.

• Love 2

It's scary to think those too could test out well with any audience...

That's what I'm thinking too. Especially AVA. Cannot stand her O_O.

The rest of the cast I can tolerate by comparison.

Farkle actually had me lol through the episode in parts. I think he was just competing against Josh tbh, but I hope they don't have him go full on stalker. That would be creepy as all get out.

I thought it was a cute episode, but then again I'm not hard to please because I'm not really expecting much on a show on Disney channel. I'm not bothered or majorly impressed by anyone I think everyone is doing a great job with the material they are given. I will admit that Maya is my fav charcter not sure if it's because of her acting or just the fact that she's honestly a interesting character, I mean being stabbed by ballerinas? she's awesome but I have no qualms about anyone else except Lucas who's too perfect.

And now that it's been confirmed he likes Riley and they kissed I hope it sticks that way. I don't want him anywhere near Maya because her friendship with Riley is what I think is one of the best parts of the show so please no, stick him with Riley I think they were pretty good tonight. I mean I honestly had no problem with them at all I thought it was kinda cute and not taken as seriously as some fans tend to take these ships, I hope they continue to develop it.

Josh is way too old and I'm still against it because no one who's about to be a senior should be dating a 7th grader, but I'm ok with them building it up little by little and then finally going there when Maya is in high school or something because I think he's more her speed, he's the kind of guy I can see her with but just not now.

And for those shipping Riley and Maya I was skeptical before but I do raise an eye brow every time they have scenes that mirror Topanga and Cory, like the ending of this episode, I think this is like the second or third time the show mirrored their scenes together...interesting, but it's Disney channel so lol no

• Love 2

I loved the episode for the core 4, but I seriously hate Auggie/Ava.  They annoy to no end individually and this "we're married" crap was worse than usual.  I DID love the first kiss between Lucas and Rile, though.  For a change, Riley wasn't acting like a 9 year old so I appreciated it for the milestone that it was for a 14 year old girl.  I wasn't quite sure, but were we supposed to interpret Maya's look after Farkle walked away as a "seeing him in a different way" look or was she supposed to be looking pensive over Josh?  The first time I watched it, I thought it was about Farkle, but the second time it didn't hit me as that.  Plus, she made that comment about Farkle's kiss (although she complimented him on it).  I could actually see the two of them hooking up in the future.  As for Josh/Maya, I didn't think he was overly harsh with her.  He did NOT laugh in her face or make fun of her crush, he just told her she was too young and then RAN because he was freaked by this overly aggressive 14 year old who was coming on to him pretty damn strongly.  I like the Josh character and I am really hoping having him around will allow them to do something with Cory and his ridiculous behavior.  I understand overprotective dad, but they write him as a total moron.  Maybe if they bring in Josh (and Shawn!  PLEASE bring in Shawn) they can talk to him and get him to behave more like an adult.

• Love 3
but it's Disney channel so lol no

I keep seeing comments like this but, now days, DC loves doing suggestive, wink-wink-nudge-nudge type stuff on their shows. And some of it is way more blatant than the mirroring at the end of this episode.

I think DC knows that adults do watch their shows, so they try to put stuff in that will fly over the average 8 year-old's head, but that someone older will catch and get a chuckle out of.

I actually wondered if the GMW writers didn't realize they had more freedom than they thought they did because the show is on Disney Channel. But I hope they'd realize it by the time they started working on season 2.

As for this episode, meh. It had some good stuff, but most of it left me cold.

I agree that the Auggie and Ava stuff is annoying. I don't have a big problem with them as characters. (Well, depending on how they're being written in a given ep.) But this whole thing about them being in a relationship, and being so serious about it at their age, does not work for me. I think I'm supposed to be going, "Aw, how cute." Instead, all I think when it's going on is, "I wish the show would just drop  this and spend the time on something else."

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 1
(edited)

I actually wondered if the GMW writers didn't realize they had more freedom than they thought they did because the show is on Disney Channel. But I hope they'd realize it by the time they started working on season 2.

I'm just shocked they actually allowed Riley and Lucas to peck on the lips. We went 5 seasons on Good Luck Charlie without ever seeing that. Which was just weird as hell.

I did enjoy Topanga's bit about the ever-changing Topanga/Cory backstory.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

I'm just shocked they actually allowed Riley and Lucas to peck on the lips. We went 5 seasons on Good Luck Charlie without ever seeing that. Which was just weird as hell.

I actually started to enjoy the way the writers started poking fun at that, and really drawing attention to it. Either they'd come up with some elaborate way to interrupt the kissage, or they'd come up with some really obvious, "everybody knows what's going on" way to block it. Like, just before the couples lips touch, someone holding a bunch of balloons just happens to walk in front of them.

Actually, I can't remember if that happened on GLC because I've seen a lot of DC shows poking fun at that. Because while Disney Channel puts a limit on how much kissing can go on in their shows, they don't seem to mind the writers blatantly making fun of the limit. So I think even they get that it's a little silly, but they're sticking to it.

I actually wonder who at DC decides when it's okay to show kissing, like in this episode.

(edited)

I'm cool with the idea that we're never going to see these characters mention sex. Hell, Boy Meets World didn't even go there until right before these characters graduated. But it was just weird that Teddy was this 18-year old girl and we had never so much as seen her kiss the boyfriend. I'm good with an affectionate peck here and there.

Anyway, I liked the little meta-wink about how old Lucas looks. Seriously, I kind of wish they had just cast Uriah Shelton as Lucas considering that Peyton doesn't look significantly younger. He can't ever really be a viable love interest for Maya for at least a couple more years. They did mentioned that Josh is planning on going to NYU, which is a nice way to have him pop up around here.

Edited by methodwriter85