Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here

What is interesting is that the show started out slow it's first year. It took a while to get the viewership and momentum that the network wanted (even though it still had over 10 million viewers). I remember reading somewhere that if the X-Files had been released in today's television landscape, it would have been cancelled after the first season. Just think about that. Networks don't give show's a chance to get settled or gain viewership like they used to, which sucks. Their "trigger fingers" and "instant gratification" mentalities have probably taken away a lot of what would have been amazing shows from the viewing public.

Exactly. Which is a damn shame. They wouldn't have seen M & S as the good characters that they are. Yep. They want something right away which is almost impossible.

Much of the core audience didn't come out for IWTB, but maybe they'll be more willing to just turn on their TV.

Yea hopefully. But I'm not counting on much, since there's a lot more variety on tv these days.

• Love 1

I think it will get decent ratings, probably on par with the other shows Fox has on right now (besides Empire). Fox does not have very many high rated shows. If social media is anything to go by, it seems like a lot of younger people have gotten hooked on the show through Netflix and they're as excited about the revival as the old school fans are. 

I was 9 when the show started and had many friends throughout middle school and early high school who were obsessed with the show. After the first movie, all but a few of those friends were still watching. Then by the end of season 7, I was the only fan left among my friends. I think those kind of fans will tune in for the first episode, to see if it's any good, but if they're confused by the mythology or if it's just not that good, they probably won't be that motivated to stick with it as they already gave up on the show years ago. But maybe the fact that it's only 6 episodes will motivate people to stay with it til the end, since it's not a season long investment. 

I wish they'd do like what NBC is doing with Aquarius and make all episodes available at the same time. I think that would capture more viewers and that's how people are used to watching X-Files these days. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think those kind of fans will tune in for the first episode, to see if it's any good, but if they're confused by the mythology or if it's just not that good, they probably won't be that motivated to stick with it as they already gave up on the show years ago.

Another reason I think William should be kept out of it altogether. The thing is, a lot of really hardcore fans didn't watch through the end of the series and just would prefer to ignore that seasons 8 and 9 (and in some cases even before that) didn't exist. Choosing to stop watching wasn't about being less passionate but, I think, about deciding that it was too painful to watch a show that was no longer what they'd fallen in love with. I think the revival's a little different because a)we already know it's only 6 episodes, b)we know it's Mulder and Scully, not some Scully/otherpeople nonsense, and c)there's a strong sense of nostalgia now, that couldn't exist while the show was still running. I think the fans who quit when the show ceased to be what it had ocne been are very much interested in checking out the revival, but if it's filled with mythology stuff that was introduced in the last few seasons those people will check out. So just leave that stuff out of it, is my solution. It never made any sense anyway. (This is also a reason why I think the absence of Doggett and Reyes is an entirely positive thing.)

I wish they'd do like what NBC is doing with Aquarius and make all episodes available at the same time. I think that would capture more viewers and that's how people are used to watching X-Files these days.

I really hope they don't do that. It might get more viewers that way--I don't really know--but just from the perspective of enjoying it as a fandom I think week-by-week is so much better. Getting to discuss (and, perhaps, flail) after each episode here and various other online places is so much more enjoyable than having it all come out in one batch so people watch at different times and also the discussion isn't naturally broken up episode-by-episode.  And having it stretch over six weeks means there's a much longer stretch of time during which there's new content to talk about and also new content to look forward to.

I mean, if it all uniformly sucks then maybe having it all dump at once would be better. But I'm slightly more optimistic than that and want it to be more of a communal experience.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1

Another reason I think William should be kept out of it altogether. The thing is, a lot of really hardcore fans didn't watch through the end of the series and just would prefer to ignore that seasons 8 and 9 (and in some cases even before that) didn't exist. Choosing to stop watching wasn't about being less passionate but, I think, about deciding that it was too painful to watch a show that was no longer what they'd fallen in love with. I think the revival's a little different because a)we already know it's only 6 episodes, b)we know it's Mulder and Scully, not some Scully/otherpeople nonsense, and c)there's a strong sense of nostalgia now, that couldn't exist while the show was still running. I think the fans who quit when the show ceased to be what it had ocne been are very much interested in checking out the revival, but if it's filled with mythology stuff that was introduced in the last few seasons those people will check out. So just leave that stuff out of it, is my solution. It never made any sense anyway. (This is also a reason why I think the absence of Doggett and Reyes is an entirely positive thing.)

I really hope they don't do that. It might get more viewers that way--I don't really know--but just from the perspective of enjoying it as a fandom I think week-by-week is so much better. Getting to discuss (and, perhaps, flail) after each episode here and various other online places is so much more enjoyable than having it all come out in one batch so people watch at different times and also the discussion isn't naturally broken up episode-by-episode.  And having it stretch over six weeks means there's a much longer stretch of time during which there's new content to talk about and also new content to look forward to.

I mean, if it all uniformly sucks then maybe having it all dump at once would be better. But I'm slightly more optimistic than that and want it to be more of a communal experience.

Good point. Maybe they'll have it all available for those who want to watch it that way and for fans who don't want to, they can watch it the old school way. Only issue would be for any spoilers.

What are all of your guys thoughts on having it available via On Demand? I wouldn't mind it, since it'll be during winter and who knows whether the power will go out and I'll miss an episode.

The 1013 gang generally enjoyed reading/hearing about online fan reaction back in the day  - they rolled their eyes a lot, certainly, but on the whole they got a kick out of it - and, as a fan in the burgeoning days of the internet, that was such a big part of the fun.  (Now, of course, a lot of that discussion is going to be on social media that I don't use, but I'll be here every week!)  I think that should be part of the experience - for us, and them.

• Love 1
(edited)

Good point. Maybe they'll have it all available for those who want to watch it that way and for fans who don't want to, they can watch it the old school way. Only issue would be for any spoilers.

The thing is, once you release the whole thing in one go you lose the week-to-week vibe. Because sure, some people will still watch week-to-week, but lots of people will already have watched and started talking about the whole thing. I've watched some shows that were released all at once, and the viewing experience can be great, but the conversation just isn't as good, in my experience.

as a fan in the burgeoning days of the internet, that was such a big part of the fun. (Now, of course, a lot of that discussion is going to be on social media that I don't use, but I'll be here every week!) I think that should be part of the experience - for us, and them.

I agree. Edited by smrou

The thing is, once you release the whole thing in one go you lose the week-to-week vibe. Because sure, some people will still watch week-to-week, but lots of people will already have watched and started talking about the whole thing. I've watched some shows that were released all at once, and the viewing experience can be great, but the conversation just isn't as good, in my experience.

I agree.

Fair point. I'll probably be sticking to week to week myself, like the old days.

Good point about the discussions being better when watching week to week. Let's just hope that the show is actually good, otherwise the week to week discussions about how bad it is will make me so sad. It was almost literally painful to live through seasons 8&9 and IWTB, lol.

Do you guys think that there is a possibility for things to continue past the six episodes? I suppose any possibility would depend on the ratings, but I can't really see D&G (G especially) agreeing to do more even if the ratings are stellar.

• Love 1

Good point about the discussions being better when watching week to week. Let's just hope that the show is actually good, otherwise the week to week discussions about how bad it is will make me so sad. It was almost literally painful to live through seasons 8&9 and IWTB, lol.

Do you guys think that there is a possibility for things to continue past the six episodes? I suppose any possibility would depend on the ratings, but I can't really see D&G (G especially) agreeing to do more even if the ratings are stellar.

Hopefully.

It wasn't that bad lol. Just some of it was imo.

Chris and co. afaik have said in articles that they're open to doing more. 

Let's just hope that the show is actually good, otherwise the week to week discussions about how bad it is will make me so sad.

That is so true. I am genuinely worried about that, to be honest.
  • Love 1

Hi guys! Migrating over here officially...I used to hang at the TWoP boards and I'm glad to see some familiar names. Excited to discuss the revival with all you folks. 

I want SO BADLY for the revival to hold up to the best of TV. Like, I don't just want it to be good. I want it to match the quality of our current "golden age of television." Is that a huge stretch? This video interview with CC makes me think he gets what's at stake, and that he wants things to hold up as well. Does that mean he'll be able to recognize some of the horrible mistakes he made last time around? Who knows. Still, a girl can dream.

• Love 7

Hi guys! Migrating over here officially...I used to hang at the TWoP boards and I'm glad to see some familiar names. Excited to discuss the revival with all you folks. 

I want SO BADLY for the revival to hold up to the best of TV. Like, I don't just want it to be good. I want it to match the quality of our current "golden age of television." Is that a huge stretch? This video interview with CC makes me think he gets what's at stake, and that he wants things to hold up as well. Does that mean he'll be able to recognize some of the horrible mistakes he made last time around? Who knows. Still, a girl can dream.

Hi and welcome!

I saw that interview recently! :)

I think so. 

• Love 1

It would never have occurred to me that he (or GA) would.  That's something you let actors do after they've been slogging away for years on end and are getting bored; with six episodes, you leave it to the pros.

• Love 4

It would never have occurred to me that he (or GA) would.  That's something you let actors do after they've been slogging away for years on end and are getting bored; with six episodes, you leave it to the pros.

It wouldn't have occurred to me either. Fair point.

Because I am lazy, I just copied and pasted my post from the Sleepy Hollow thread, since it relates to both.

While I am waiting for news of all of my other shows to be cancelled *sob* (Agent Carter, Forever, Constantine officially), an interesting prediction by TVLine.

They think that FOX will pair up the X-Files revival with Sleepy Hollow in the fall. Interesting!! My two favourite alien investigators with my two favourite Apocalypse fighters. Hell, I've referred to Ichabbie as the modern day M&S, so it makes sense. The only problem is that the revival for X-Files is 6 episodes long, and SH will be 18 episodes long. So what goes in it's place? Gotham? It was paired up like that this season.

• Love 1

Because I am lazy, I just copied and pasted my post from the Sleepy Hollow thread, since it relates to both.

While I am waiting for news of all of my other shows to be cancelled *sob* (Agent Carter, Forever, Constantine officially), an interesting prediction by TVLine.

They think that FOX will pair up the X-Files revival with Sleepy Hollow in the fall. Interesting!! My two favourite alien investigators with my two favourite Apocalypse fighters. Hell, I've referred to Ichabbie as the modern day M&S, so it makes sense. The only problem is that the revival for X-Files is 6 episodes long, and SH will be 18 episodes long. So what goes in it's place? Gotham? It was paired up like that this season.

That makes sense. Maybe.

Hope we see something that makes up for this. Eww!!! The Fowl One. 

Some more news via XFN:

http://www.xfilesnews.net/index.php/xfiles-news/featured-stories/1563-confirmed-the-x-files-returning-to-tv

Chris and co. are still trying to get Frank involved in some capacity. 

They still have Robert Patrick listed, but might have some issues due to scheduling. <-- rather odd tbh, since I read a bit ago that he couldn't do it.

Directly from the site:

We'll come to find that the Mulder & Scully relationship has evolved, different from where it was left in IWTB. Answers of when they came to be together, how William was conceived may come. <-- It better. No more bs. Thank you. 

There is still a possibility for a third X-Files feature film after #XFilesRevival but the primary focus now is #XFilesRevival. Yes, you read that correctly. There is also the possibility of another limited series run, and Chris Carter recently mentioned in an interview with The Globe and Mail that the storylines may not be wrapped up this go around. <-- I hope he doesn't drag things out, both in regards to the usual story line and in regards to other issues *hint, hint*. That would be annoying.

A few weeks ago someone posted a spoiler site to this thread, mentioning they'd seen it on another board. Which other board was that? 

(edited)

A few weeks ago someone posted a spoiler site to this thread, mentioning they'd seen it on another board. Which other board was that?

Haven .  I think you have to sign up for an account in order to view messages

Edited by M.F. Luder
  • Love 1

Oh, that was a maybe? That was head canon for me. Lol

Yea it was hinted at. Since we didn't see much of anything. It could have gone either way. This pretty much confirms it. Guess they're being straight forward for once :P. Been too used to all of the games and bullshit lol.

Same here to a point. I thought that they conceived around 'Per Manum'. 'All Things' was around the first time. Thought it took place before it ('Per Manum'). Now this pretty much kind of turns it on its head lol.

Well, I also don't trust that they know when she conceived anymore than any fan. Like they can say Per Manum or All Things, but they left it all so open for interpretation that I feel like they're just picking an episode at this point. Like, oh yeah... we knew, of course we did! I'm sure Chris or David told her that. David who got confused and thought they were married in IWTB, and Chris what was the Samantha abduction arc?

But, yeah, now I feel a bit dirty that I just assumed they did it in All Things. It never occurred to me that it implied anything else. Lol

Oops! As far as conception goes, who knows timing-wise; but I wish they'd explain how she even got pregnant with no ova!

• Love 1

CSM implanted an embryo in her while she was passed out in En Ami.

(that was a joke, btw...at least I hope so)

OMG, you gave me a heart attack for a moment! Because that is a terrible fear of mine. En Ami just creeps me the hell out.

If that is their explanation then I'd rather stay blissfully ignorant! ;)

Well, I also don't trust that they know when she conceived anymore than any fan. Like they can say Per Manum or All Things, but they left it all so open for interpretation that I feel like they're just picking an episode at this point. Like, oh yeah... we knew, of course we did! I'm sure Chris or David told her that. David who got confused and thought they were married in IWTB, and Chris what was the Samantha abduction arc?

But, yeah, now I feel a bit dirty that I just assumed they did it in All Things. It never occurred to me that it implied anything else. Lol

Oops! As far as conception goes, who knows timing-wise; but I wish they'd explain how she even got pregnant with no ova!

Fair point on that. Maybe. But still, given the history it made me chuckle.

I figured it was via IVF, meaning that the sperm didn't fertilize the egg, but the egg was still good and things went from there ;).

CSM implanted an embryo in her while she was passed out in En Ami.

(that was a joke, btw...at least I hope so)

Yuck! Eww. XD

OMG, you gave me a heart attack for a moment! Because that is a terrible fear of mine. En Ami just creeps me the hell out.

If that is their explanation then I'd rather stay blissfully ignorant! ;)

Me too ;). That one makes me want to hurl.

They could literally make up any explanation for how she got pregnant. She has a chip in her neck that cures cancer. Who's to say it can't also regrow ova if given enough time. Or maybe CSM injected her with some alien DNA in En Ami, and it regrew some ova. If that alien DNA (or reawakened dormant DNA, or whatever it was) can give Gibson psychic powers, then maybe it can make Scully fertile again. Or maybe they didn't actually take all her ova and she and Mulder got lucky while banging constantly throughout season 7...

I, personally, don't really care to know how she got pregnant, since the real answer is that the writers created William as a desperate attempt to keep people interested in the show after Duchovny decided to leave. I hated the storyline when it first aired, and I've only begun to soften to it recently so that I can enjoy the revival in the event that William shows up. 

• Love 2

They could literally make up any explanation for how she got pregnant. She has a chip in her neck that cures cancer. Who's to say it can't also regrow ova if given enough time. Or maybe CSM injected her with some alien DNA in En Ami, and it regrew some ova. If that alien DNA (or reawakened dormant DNA, or whatever it was) can give Gibson psychic powers, then maybe it can make Scully fertile again. Or maybe they didn't actually take all her ova and she and Mulder got lucky while banging constantly throughout season 7...

I, personally, don't really care to know how she got pregnant, since the real answer is that the writers created William as a desperate attempt to keep people interested in the show after Duchovny decided to leave. I hated the storyline when it first aired, and I've only begun to soften to it recently so that I can enjoy the revival in the event that William shows up. 

Good points.

Yep, I remember that. So tbh, I'll be laughing my butt off seeing how they'll handle it.

I hated how they had Scully give William up. I hope that they resolve it ok.

• Love 1

I took all things as confirmation they'd been sleeping together for a while.

I suppose I should try to do the same, so I'm not pissed off if he is, in fact, a storyline in this revival, but I'm not there -- I so badly want him to just be safe with his parents, and never again more than a quick mention (if that) on the show.

I took all things as confirmation they'd been sleeping together for a while.

I suppose I should try to do the same, so I'm not pissed off if he is, in fact, a storyline in this revival, but I'm not there -- I so badly want him to just be safe with his parents, and never again more than a quick mention (if that) on the show.

Yea that's understandable. I figured a mention, but now after what Gillian has said, it sounds like it might be more than that.

(edited)

I want to stay optimistic but when I read Gillian being nervous because she wants it to be really good I just get these apocalyptic visions (not to be dramatic or anything) of her curled up like a ball, crumpled script on the floor, rocking back and forth going "Oh, no, Chris what have you written?! No!"

Edited by joelene
  • Love 2

I want to stay optimistic but when I read Gillian being nervous because she wants it to be really good I just get these apocalyptic visions (not to be dramatic or anything) of her curled up like a ball, crumpled script on the floor, rocking back and forth going "Oh, no, Chris what have you written?! No!"

Lol Yea me too. Hopefully it isn't anything like The After or like some parts of IWTB, dialogue wise.

(edited)

I am SO EXCITED that we have a premiere date!

Gillian's comments make me nervous.

Edited by JacquelineLHope

I'm a little bit nervous too. But I'm more so in regards to the writing than to the acting.

Agreed. I am watching S7 at the moment which is causing me so much disappointment between occasional moments of glee and I am so scared about the writing. I'm hoping that being limited to six episodes will force the writers to concentrate on what is important and write it well.

They could literally make up any explanation for how she got pregnant. She has a chip in her neck that cures cancer.

I'm not surprised that we don't remember all of the details of the show - especially DD and GA. I mean, they had tons of lines to memorize, and they weren't intensely watching the final product, so they won't remember the actual result. I do laugh though that she forgot about the kid. That's how forgettable season 8 and 9 were - there was focus on William, and GA still forgot about him. Heh.

Damn - back when it aired, I'm trying to remember what I thought about her being "fertile" again. I remember thinking that a chip that they implanted into Scully (the second one) was the one that reversed her not being able to have kids i.e. it allowed ovulation again. I think that's how I figured at the time. Then - Scully, knowing she didn't have to use birth control - slept with Mulder and ending up getting knocked up, because she didn't think she needed any BC. I also remember thinking with the episode all things, was that the pressures of being them finally became too much, and they had sex as a bit of an outlet for their frustrations. But I remember thinking it was a one-time thing. I don't remember any hint of alcohol being involved though.

Man, CC and company can pretty much write whatever they want and ignore some of the details because no one can remember it. There will be a small portion of people with the means/time to rewatch the whole series, but most won't, so they can fudge some stuff.

Agreed. I am watching S7 at the moment which is causing me so much disappointment between occasional moments of glee and I am so scared about the writing. I'm hoping that being limited to six episodes will force the writers to concentrate on what is important and write it well.

Exactly. Hopefully it'll cause them to focus and not get off track.

I'm not surprised that we don't remember all of the details of the show - especially DD and GA. I mean, they had tons of lines to memorize, and they weren't intensely watching the final product, so they won't remember the actual result. I do laugh though that she forgot about the kid. That's how forgettable season 8 and 9 were - there was focus on William, and GA still forgot about him. Heh.

Damn - back when it aired, I'm trying to remember what I thought about her being "fertile" again. I remember thinking that a chip that they implanted into Scully (the second one) was the one that reversed her not being able to have kids i.e. it allowed ovulation again. I think that's how I figured at the time. Then - Scully, knowing she didn't have to use birth control - slept with Mulder and ending up getting knocked up, because she didn't think she needed any BC. I also remember thinking with the episode all things, was that the pressures of being them finally became too much, and they had sex as a bit of an outlet for their frustrations. But I remember thinking it was a one-time thing. I don't remember any hint of alcohol being involved though.

Man, CC and company can pretty much write whatever they want and ignore some of the details because no one can remember it. There will be a small portion of people with the means/time to rewatch the whole series, but most won't, so they can fudge some stuff.

Good points. Maybe CSM did it so they could get a hold of their kid in some way. The whole alien/human hybrid thing. I vaguely remember one of the syndicate saying something about one lonely night Scully invited him to her bed. That had to be a different time. All Things she went into his bedroom.

Yep. And that's what'll make it fun.

And hell I'll hyperventilate if it mentions 'sexual situations' as part of the rating for any of the episodes XD.

I can understand (and would be happy about) bringing back The Lone Gunmen, but CSM and Krychek??  I don't know how that can be done without being ridiculous unless it's through a flashback.  It seems to me they're not just merely dead, but really most sincerely dead!

• Love 1

I can understand (and would be happy about) bringing back The Lone Gunmen, but CSM and Krychek??  I don't know how that can be done without being ridiculous unless it's through a flashback.  It seems to me they're not just merely dead, but really most sincerely dead!

Exactly. It would be grasping straws and really NOT realistic if they did that. I could see Krychek maybe as a clone and maybe CSM. But if they really did do that I'd run out of the room SCREAMING :D.

Only way they'd make up for that would be one DAMN good make out scene in regards to M & S ;). As in a NON implied one. Come on Chris, we can handle it!

I just saw one of the Aquarius promos and saw the boxing scene in it. Damn! If CC wastes this opportunity, it'll be a real shame. Come on  >:).

Here is the video, since it's a pain in the butt to cap!

Source: Aquarius/NBC, youtube.com

Scratch that, I got a cap... not the most clear though lol. So I'll be trying again to see if I can get a clearer one.

Edit: Got it! Was able to pause via a miracle :P. Turned out pretty damn good too.

Here they are:

cap1.png

That one is too blurry to appreciate lol.

Here's a clearer one ;).

cap2.png

Shit O_O. Chris better capitalize. That's all I can say. *drops ded*

WTF?! is ALL I can say about this spoiler. Not that I believe a WORD that Wiliam B. Davis says.

Warning: View at your own risk.

He mentions that M & S are broken up and get back together, I think it's in regards to IWTB hopefully, but if it's not then it's DAMN cheap plot wise.

And tbh, it pretty much imo goes counter to what Chris has said so far about them growing and evolving.