Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here

(edited)
Or maybe [Gibson Praise is] part of the new Syndicate?

Oh, they can save that for XF: The Next Generation in 15 years, when William Van De Kamp joins the FBI, stumbles on a bunch of unsolved cases with a paranormal bent, gets partnered up with a skeptical female agent, and soon finds their investigations thwarted by a shadow government.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

This was posted on another board:

Spoilers!!! Maybe?

This has been floating around the internet for a weeks now, BEFORE the revival was announced. I dismissed at first because well, we all know how internet and spoilers work. And CC and Co. already directly contradicted some aspects of this, particularly the overall episodes layout. However, some other aspect of this is actually rather plausible, and not all so terrible. so....

Read at your own risk:
http://xfilesrevival.altervista.org/

Here's the text from the site:

The following rumors about the X-Files revival have been circulating the web recently, coming from an anonymous source who claims to be from the inside. This information has not been officially confirmed, so it may either be false, partially true, or completely true. Take it with a huge grain of salt, but if you hate possible spoilers, you should stop reading right now.

<- MAJOR POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW ->

* The project name of the revival is "The X-Files: Resolution".

* The revival will start shooting this summer 2015, perhaps even as early as June.

* It will be a miniseries format with six episodes, all of them pure mytharc, dealing with the alien invasion mentioned in the Season 9 finale.

* The episodes are numbered as 10XR01, 10XR02, 10XR03, et cetera.

* The entire six-episode story from beginning to end has already been created by Chris Carter, and the scripts for the first three episodes ("Settlements", "Rebellion", "Terra Incognita") are in the process of being completed.

* For the final three untitled episodes, Carter will work with someone, presumably Frank Spotnitz to write the scripts, but the basic storyline has already been laid out by Carter.

* The first twelve pages from the script of the first episode ("Settlements") have been leaked online, but were removed only within a couple of hours after being posted.

* The scripts may be significantly altered during the coming weeks or months, depending on whether or not some actors will be available for the project.

* Some of the actors who will be in the revival are Alan Dale, Jeff Gulka, Laurie Holden, Dakota House, Morris Panych.

* Actor Jeff Gulka will be present in all six episodes, as well as Alan Dale.

About the first episode, "Settlements" (10XR01):

The story takes place in present time with Mulder and Scully believing that the alien invasion has been either postponed or completely prevented due to unknown factors. They learn from Gibson Praise, now a grown man, that the invasion has only been delayed because a russian version of the syndicate has interfered with the aliens' plans. Gibson warns them that colonization will occur shortly despite the russian group's efforts, and that it could start any day. He tells them there is hope, mainly because there are some supersoldiers who are starting to regain their original human memories and who are against colonization, but this number is extremely small, and the aliens are killing them off one by one.

Gibson suggests that an alliance must be made with these rebel supersoldiers, and using their knowledge, as well as the knowledge from this russian syndicate, resistance is possible and colonization can be prevented. He also informs them of certain native americans who are naturally immune against the alien virus, and some of these men and women are already his allies. The whereabouts of Reyes and Doggett aren't mentioned in the first pages of the script. It is also implied that the X-Files unit doesn't exist anymore, and there is a problem in reinstating it because someone very high in the Bureau is preventing that from happening.

The episode begins in Russia, with a group of people including politicians, scientists and doctors discussing colonization in detail. They talk about how they already created structures, houses, entire neighborhoods where no human beings reside. These neighborhoods will function as traps for the aliens, because they're built using a combination of different materials effectively substituting natural magnetite, in order to bring down alien ships during colonization.

The script ends on page twelve with a character whom the script refers to as Henry McMahon, standing in front of a private residence and observing the house.

• Love 1

Interesting. Some of it sounds pretty good.

Only issues I have are in regards to:

* The entire six-episode story from beginning to end has already been created by Chris Carter, and the scripts for the first three episodes ("Settlements", "Rebellion", "Terra Incognita") are in the process of being completed.

* For the final three untitled episodes, Carter will work with someone, presumably Frank Spotnitz to write the scripts, but the basic storyline has already been laid out by Carter.

* The first twelve pages from the script of the first episode ("Settlements") have been leaked online, but were removed only within a couple of hours after being posted.

Since we know he'll be supervising the writing by the two Morgans (Glen and Darren) and James Wong. Frank isn't involved yet as far as we know. So that was a red flag to me tbh.

Another tip off was the fact they mentioned it being 6 episodes dealing with the mytharc pretty much screamed red flag as well.

* It will be a miniseries format with six episodes, all of them pure mytharc, dealing with the alien invasion mentioned in the Season 9 finale. <-- as much as I'd like that or heck as much as a lot of us would like that, it doesn't seem to be the direction that he's going in, this seems to go counter to it

From the daily beast's article/interview with Chris: I do, actually. I know what I want to do, how I want it to lay out—the balance of mythology to stand-alone episodes. <-- bolded the important part, that he wants to do both myth arc eps and stand alone ones. That comment imo pretty much shuts down a lot of the spoilers themselves.

Source: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/24/the-x-files-creator-chris-carter-on-the-show-s-summer-return.html

Yeah, the whole mytharc-only miniseries thing makes me think this is pretty much pulled out of someone's ass, and I hope so, because I have ZERO interest in a six-part exploration of alien invasion.  One of the main draws of XF for me was its status as a sci-fi show that people who don't like sci-fi could nevertheless love.  And not just because of M&S, but because of the balance and variety of storylines.  The outlandish stuff they were into by the end, in terms of warring alien factions and looming colonization, is something I'm very glad I skipped, so I'd be quite bummed to have that be the sole focus.

For what it's worth (and, yeah, I can guess), I find spoiler tags in a spoiler thread both unnecessary and annoying.

Yeah, the whole mytharc-only miniseries thing makes me think this is pretty much pulled out of someone's ass, and I hope so, because I have ZERO interest in a six-part exploration of alien invasion.  One of the main draws of XF for me was its status as a sci-fi show that people who don't like sci-fi could nevertheless love.  And not just because of M&S, but because of the balance and variety of storylines.  The outlandish stuff they were into by the end, in terms of warring alien factions and looming colonization, is something I'm very glad I skipped, so I'd be quite bummed to have that be the sole focus.

Yea sorry about that. It's just due to the sensitive nature of said spoilers. I usually don't like them all that much either. I don't mind talk being unspoiled.

Just the spoilers themselves (if they're ones that might be unproven) are ones I'm for keeping spoiled if they have to be posted here. The site in question wouldn't load for me. That's why I asked in the first place about it. I would have preferred to view them on site instead of having them posted here. But oh well. That's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

The internet can be a wonky thing :P.

Fair point. I kind of like Chris's idea better. Not sure how much myth arc can be covered though.

I don't mind talk being unspoiled.

Just the spoilers themselves (if they're ones that might be unproven) are ones I'm for keeping spoiled if they have to be posted here.

But won't virtually all of them fall into that category?  CC isn't likely to confirm anything beyond casting and writers (and may resort to crap like planted werewolf pictures again), so the vast majority of spoilers - set reports, casting sides, script leaks, etc. - are going to be things that may or may not be true.  And if we link to the spoiler itself or post it here with spoiler tags, but then talk about it without spoiler tags, the content of the spoilers is going to be in the posts anyway (by way of discussion of them), right? 

Edited by Bastet

As for the stuff about the spoiler - not sure I'm happy about that it will all be mytharc. But I do see it as CC is doing a proper closure on it. Maybe a movie will follow, but if not, this is CC and the X-Files show itself closing it's story for good.

• Love 1

Sorry about using the spoiler tags, I wasn't sure if I should or not but decided to err on the side of caution. Up until this point, I felt like all the spoilers were just really vague speculation and this seemed like something that was more specific about storylines and I didn't know if people would be as willing to read those types of spoilers without warning. Mostly because I'm not (I didn't read the link that I posted). But now I know what to do for the future.

In regards to these spoilers, I think they must not be entirely accurate because I remember CC saying that the new season would be a mix of mythology and MotW. I really hope that's true, because unless they come up with a really interesting plot, I'm not that interested in continuing the mythology. 

• Love 1

My POV - this is a spoiled thread therefore no tags are needed, but I know that MANY are spoiler adverse. Basically the red tag at the beginning tells everyone watch out for what's in here, as with the warning at top.

I think though we were just being careful because the link to the original article wasn't working and the info was pasted in, instead. Some people may actually read this thread, but decide to NOT click on certain links if it's something they don't want to know about.

Okay, maybe we were being a little sensitive but you know, some people are allergic. I would say no spoiler tags really, I think. Maybe we'll just remove them.

But then no one is allowed to complain *grin*

As for the stuff about the spoiler - not sure I'm happy about that it will all be mytharc. But I do see it as CC is doing a proper closure on it. Maybe a movie will follow, but if not, this is CC and the X-Files show itself closing it's story for good.

Good points. I mainly just spoiled what I put down in case of any legal implications. Some of what was posted in the link originally had been taken down. Better to be safe than sorry.

Other than that, no spoiler tags.

Yep. Exactly.

Sorry about using the spoiler tags, I wasn't sure if I should or not but decided to err on the side of caution. Up until this point, I felt like all the spoilers were just really vague speculation and this seemed like something that was more specific about storylines and I didn't know if people would be as willing to read those types of spoilers without warning. Mostly because I'm not (I didn't read the link that I posted). But now I know what to do for the future.

In regards to these spoilers, I think they must not be entirely accurate because I remember CC saying that the new season would be a mix of mythology and MotW. I really hope that's true, because unless they come up with a really interesting plot, I'm not that interested in continuing the mythology. 

No problem. I don't blame you for doing so given the nature (any truth of them aside) of them, since some of them were taken down.

But won't virtually all of them fall into that category?  CC isn't likely to confirm anything beyond casting and writers (and may resort to crap like planted werewolf pictures again), so the vast majority of spoilers - set reports, casting sides, script leaks, etc. - are going to be things that may or may not be true.  And if we link to the spoiler itself or post it here with spoiler tags, but then talk about it without spoiler tags, the content of the spoilers is going to be in the posts anyway (by way of discussion of them), right? 

Fair point. 

Yep. Exactly.

The guy who writes for tvwise.co.uk always seems to have the inside scoop on X-Files news. Here's some tweets he had today regarding Dogget & Reyes.

Patrick Munn @patmunn
.@bauermulder24 no, from what I'm hearing it won't be possible for Robert Patrick to join X-Files revival, despite everyone's best efforts.

Patrick Munn @patmunn
It's not certain yet, but my sources say that unless deals close soon Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish won't appear. Not looking good.

Patrick Munn @patmunn

It's not certain yet, but my sources say that unless deals close soon Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish won't appear. Not looking good.

Um,....yeah!!! Personally, as much as I like Robert Patrick, I am glad. Skinner being back is awesome. CSM is good too. But I really didn't want too much season 8 and 9 influence and characters coming through, so this is good!

• Love 3

Um,....yeah!!! Personally, as much as I like Robert Patrick, I am glad. Skinner being back is awesome. CSM is good too. But I really didn't want too much season 8 and 9 influence and characters coming through, so this is good!

I'm on the opposite side of that tbh. I don't want to see CSM back. And I wouldn't mind Doggett and Reyes.

• Love 1

A Doggett or Reyes cameo would have been okay with me, but with only six episodes, having them as recurring characters would have been nothing but wasted airtime, IMO.  I want to kick it old school at the Hoover building and out in the field.   

• Love 2

I agree with this, although I'm iffy about CSM. I just hope that the lack of Dogget and Reyes doesn't mean that they'll write in some new characters to fill in their spot. We don't need another Dakota Whitney type. 

• Love 2

A Doggett or Reyes cameo would have been okay with me, but with only six episodes, having them as recurring characters would have been nothing but wasted airtime, IMO.  I want to kick it old school at the Hoover building and out in the field.   

That would be nice, but I doubt that it would happen, given the history that they have with the FBI. Why would they ever want to go back? They've been through hell. Unless something big pulls them back in. Something like their son is in danger. 

I agree with this, although I'm iffy about CSM. I just hope that the lack of Dogget and Reyes doesn't mean that they'll write in some new characters to fill in their spot. We don't need another Dakota Whitney type. 

Agreed. I don't want to see that happen either.

• Love 1

Not entirely sure whether to discuss this in the speculation or spoiler thread but it has confirmed information re, production and casting so I will put it here - Interview w/ CC in the Vancouver Sun.

• James Wong and Glen Morgan + Darin Morgan are confirmed by CC as being on the writing team.
  • Frank Spotnitz is unlikely to be involved.
  • All episode will be 43 minutes in length, no double episodes.
  • The stories are agreed on, CC is presently drafting ep1, with his wife.

On one hand, it's a shame about Spotnitz, as post-series interviews have indicated he has a real grasp of the M&S relationship and why their dynamic is so appealing to many viewers.  But on the other, he was the co-writer of IWTB, so if you're only as good as your last project ... (I have no idea what he's done other than XF).

If CC shares his twisted views on sexual relations with Dori, I’m frightened by the prospect of them writing together.  I haven’t read her book (the one Scully was reading in IWTB; I don’t know if she’s written others), so I have no idea what kind of writer she is.

Oh, wow – I just looked her up and she was one of the (two) screenwriters of Big Business, the Bette Midler/Lily Tomlin ‘80s comedy.

Edited by Bastet

Another Chris interview

From the interview:

CP: What is their relationship now?
Carter: As we saw in the second movie they were together, not married. Living together. But when we come back we will find that relationship is not where we left it.

If Mulder/Scully aren't together for the revival, I'll be 100% convinced that Chris has set out to destroy the show in the same way that Jack Donaghy was trying to destroy NBC (30 Rock reference). He does say further in the article that their relationship has grown and matured, so hopefully that is a good thing.

Also from the article:

"As we say in 'The X-Files,' even though you're dead you're never really dead," says Carter, adding there's "a big chance" the Lone Gunmen will also return.

Yay! If CSM can do it, then I'll more than gladly accept the Lone Gunmen's return.

• Love 2

Oh god, I hope they didn't get married.  (Although that's preferable to broken up!)

And, yeah, I'm sure I'll roll my eyes at whatever explanation there is for the Gunmen being alive, but I roll my eyes through a lot of things on this show -- I'll be happy to do so in order to have those guys back!

• Love 1

Oh god, I hope they didn't get married.  (Although that's preferable to broken up!)

And, yeah, I'm sure I'll roll my eyes at whatever explanation there is for the Gunmen being alive, but I roll my eyes through a lot of things on this show -- I'll be happy to do so in order to have those guys back!

I hope they did. It would be a pleasant surprise. By comparison to having them broken up, and then getting back together. We had that in IWTB. Don't need that kind of melodrama. There will be enough heading in their direction as it is.

Same here. They'd need all of the help they can get.

On one hand, it's a shame about Spotnitz, as post-series interviews have indicated he has a real grasp of the M&S relationship and why their dynamic is so appealing to many viewers.  But on the other, he was the co-writer of IWTB, so if you're only as good as your last project ... (I have no idea what he's done other than XF).

If CC shares his twisted views on sexual relations with Dori, I’m frightened by the prospect of them writing together.  I haven’t read her book (the one Scully was reading in IWTB; I don’t know if she’s written others), so I have no idea what kind of writer she is.

Oh, wow – I just looked her up and she was one of the (two) screenwriters of Big Business, the Bette Midler/Lily Tomlin ‘80s comedy.

Ah. But we do remember Beautiful Wasps having Sex  ;). All kidding aside though, at least she has some history in regards to screenwriting. So that's a good thing. Hopefully things won't get messed up.

Just double checked on the writing thing... rather unsure on it. It doesn't seem to have been that good of a movie.

As for Frank, I thought he balanced Chris frank out writing wise imo. I liked his work in the XF ok, and it seems as if his show on Cinemax, Banshee was doing ok.

Since he specifically mentioned that they were not married in the second movie, I think that implies they're married in the revival. (That, or they've broken up...)

Yep. And I REALLY hope that it isn't the latter. They've done that in IWTB. We don't need to go down that path again.

This quote had me XD.

Reached by phone in Santa Barbara, Calif., earlier this week, the veteran showrunner discussed his long relationship with the city, returning to TV after a long hiatus, battling "puritanical" TV limits, and steering clear of a Mulder and Scully love scene.

Good luck with that one. It's one BIG elephant in the room, trumpeting its butt off :p.

CP: Such a big part of the show was the will they/won't they storyline and fans still haven't gotten a proper love scene. Mulder and Scully obviously had a child together, why was their relationship never explicitly consummated?

Carter: It was part of the mystery of "The X-Files." That relationship was kind of mysterious. Did they get together? Didn't they get together? If they've got a child together, when did they get together? These are questions that we will deal with and answer in good time.

CP: In these six episodes?

Carter: In a way.

Don't be a dodgeball, Chris :p. But tbh, it sounds like he's grown up a bit. So I'll give him a bit of a benefit of a doubt. But just a bit.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before, but this new article officially confirms that Darrin Morgan, Glen Morgan, and James Wong are signed on as writers. Spotnitz, Gilligan, and Gordon are basically out. Robert Patrick had scheduling conflicts because Scorpion is filming at the same time, so he and Annabeth most likely won't be involoved.

Dang :(. That's a bummer.

Still concerned about them as writers though, considering they haven't written for the XF for a long time.

Just read more into it, and it looks as if Glen will be writing one of the eps. Not too thrilled about that.

That's a shame about Spotnitz and Gilligan...

Glen Morgan wrote some episodes that I really like: Never Again, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, Home, Squeeze, Ice, Tooms, Beyond the Sea, Die Hand Die Verletzt, and Little Green Men. I admittedly haven't seen any of his recent work.

Edited by Hidebehind
  • Love 1

That's a shame about Spotnitz and Gilligan...

Glen Morgan wrote some episodes that I really like: Never Again, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, Home, Squeeze, Ice, Tooms, Beyond the Sea, Die Hand Die Verletzt, and Little Green Men. I admittedly haven't seen any of his recent work.

But he also wrote The Field Where I Died.

I like a lot of his older work, but that one NOT so much. It made me VERY frustrated to say the least.

• Love 2

That episode was awful, but otherwise I'd say Glen Morgan consistently wrote solid episodes. Chris Carter was a lot more hit-and-miss imo.

Fair point. Chris could be really good, and he could be really bad.

But he did an ok job with M & S's relationship in IWTB, mid movie break up aside. So I have a little more faith there. Not much though. Saw a wee bit of The After and it made me cringe  >_<. So my faith in him is around the same as it is in regards to Glen.

I'm hoping that all of the writers have grown up enough to do M & S some justice. No more childish teases and games please!

• Love 1

Hey guys. So I'm really excited for the XFR but I have my concerns too. Well, Chris, number one. If he fucks around the MSR I'm going to be seriously annoyed. I just can't bear a repeat of IWTB and the "mini-breakup" during the movie and all that Amanda Peet. And I worked with her in a movie in the late 90's and she was lovely then - but still, please no unnecessary characters. What was good (and maybe bad) about XF is that you had a show that was driven by two characters. They were the show. And I haven't waited 13 years or 6 years to get distracted by some inane bullshit. So listen up CC!

Also, I am so damned confused about the time line. I thought these episodes were supposed to go between where the show ended and IWTB began. Is that not right? So how could he make a bunch of narrative changes if you already have your ending? Does that make sense? Or do these episodes cover post-IWTB to present or somewhere in between? 2012 would make the most sense. I always thought of this show as December 2012 was coming around.

I'm excited about Wong and the Morgan's. I really need to go back from the start and watch the whole damn thing again. I remember working on a college TV show called Shadows that was sort of based on XF in 1995! Oh lord. I'm feeling really old and really young at the same time.

• Love 1

Hey guys. So I'm really excited for the XFR but I have my concerns too. Well, Chris, number one. If he fucks around the MSR I'm going to be seriously annoyed. I just can't bear a repeat of IWTB and the "mini-breakup" during the movie and all that Amanda Peet. And I worked with her in a movie in the late 90's and she was lovely then - but still, please no unnecessary characters. What was good (and maybe bad) about XF is that you had a show that was driven by two characters. They were the show. And I haven't waited 13 years or 6 years to get distracted by some inane bullshit. So listen up CC!

Also, I am so damned confused about the time line. I thought these episodes were supposed to go between where the show ended and IWTB began. Is that not right? So how could he make a bunch of narrative changes if you already have your ending? Does that make sense? Or do these episodes cover post-IWTB to present or somewhere in between? 2012 would make the most sense. I always thought of this show as December 2012 was coming around.

I'm excited about Wong and the Morgan's. I really need to go back from the start and watch the whole damn thing again. I remember working on a college TV show called Shadows that was sort of based on XF in 1995! Oh lord. I'm feeling really old and really young at the same time.

I think it's Post-IWTB given what Chris has said so far.

I wasn't even sure when I watched IWTB if that was a breakup. It was like, "Wait, she's not coming home? What does that mean? Is she breaking up with him? Or is she just not coming home? What is happening!?!?"

I wasn't even sure when I watched IWTB if that was a breakup. It was like, "Wait, she's not coming home? What does that mean? Is she breaking up with him? Or is she just not coming home? What is happening!?!?"

That was me too. 

Sign me up as confused.

I figured it just meant in regards to work, but given the tone, it could have gone either way.

God, I don't remember anything from that movie except the fist pump Skinner appearance. Were they broken up at the end of the movie?

Nope, according to David, he said that Mulder chose her over the FBI. That helped tbh, since I thought they were broken up too before reading that.

They were definitely back together by the end of that fiasco (if they ever really broke up), but Chris really shouldn't be allowed to write anything on their relationship ever again.  It always ends up vague, weird, and confusing.  I'm sad to see that Gilligan won't be able to be involved with the new episodes.  I always really liked his episodes.

I temporarily went apoplectic yesterday reading Chris's interview where he said that their relationship wouldn't be where we left it.  I'd assume he'd not be stupid enough to break them up, so I assume that must mean marriage.  I can't say I ever saw them married, but it's better than the alternative I suppose.

And... THE LONE GUNMEN!!!!! 

• Love 1

They were definitely back together by the end of that fiasco (if they ever really broke up), but Chris really shouldn't be allowed to write anything on their relationship ever again.  It always ends up vague, weird, and confusing.  I'm sad to see that Gilligan won't be able to be involved with the new episodes.  I always really liked his episodes.

I temporarily went apoplectic yesterday reading Chris's interview where he said that their relationship wouldn't be where we left it.  I'd assume he'd not be stupid enough to break them up, so I assume that must mean marriage.  I can't say I ever saw them married, but it's better than the alternative I suppose.

And... THE LONE GUNMEN!!!!! 

Yea. But oddly I'm more comfortable in regards to him right now than I am in regards to Darrin and Glen Morgan and James Wong. It's still up in the air there. A wait and see, and frankly that kind of scares me.

Lmao XD So did I at first. Then once I read the rest of the interview, it was a lot more interesting.

I saw another comment on a forum where someone thought they'd be closer on issues. Not married.

The exact quote:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Carter meant by "their relationship evolved". It does give me hope that he said it matured, because I too would not want them to be broken up. Having them broken up would not only make me sad but I think it would greatly hinder their ability to work together (even if it weren't a nasty breakup, it would still be very awkward). Therefore, it doesn't make sense in my opinion to have them separated. That doesn't mean they have to get married - I'd be surprised if they'd gotten married in the interim between the second movie and these new episodes. But perhaps they're a bit more on the same page, if you will, with their priorities and such.

But who knows? If it's marriage, heck I'm more than ready to see those kids get hitched! :P

Yea that one threw me for a loop. Those three I'd love to see again. Unlike CSM.

But he also wrote The Field Where I Died.

I like a lot of his older work, but that one NOT so much. It made me VERY frustrated to say the least.

From this amazing and incredibly detailed interview with Morgan and Wong:

Morgan was also going through some personal changes. His marriage, which had been unhappy for a long time, finally failed, and he became embroiled in divorce and custody proceedings. Morgan’s regrets about the divorce and loss of everyday contact with his children were reflected in his scripts, as far back as SPACE’s “The Angriest Angel,” which revealed that McQueen felt had once been married, to the enraged James Horn, suffering the guilt of a custody battle in Millennium’s “Dead Letters,” to the tormented Ed Jerse of “Never Again;” first seen signing divorce papers in court. Around the same time, Morgan’s friendship with Kristen Cloke, the female lead of Space, had blossomed into romance, and his feeling about that relationship inspired the writing of “The Field Where I Died.”

Based on this I give Morgan a pass on the shitshow that was The Field Where I Died, which I feel was his only really major misstep. 

I'm WAY more worried about what CC might do with the MSR then Morgan's writing ability.

• Love 2

From this amazing and incredibly detailed interview with Morgan and Wong:

Morgan was also going through some personal changes. His marriage, which had been unhappy for a long time, finally failed, and he became embroiled in divorce and custody proceedings. Morgan’s regrets about the divorce and loss of everyday contact with his children were reflected in his scripts, as far back as SPACE’s “The Angriest Angel,” which revealed that McQueen felt had once been married, to the enraged James Horn, suffering the guilt of a custody battle in Millennium’s “Dead Letters,” to the tormented Ed Jerse of “Never Again;” first seen signing divorce papers in court. Around the same time, Morgan’s friendship with Kristen Cloke, the female lead of Space, had blossomed into romance, and his feeling about that relationship inspired the writing of “The Field Where I Died.”

Based on this I give Morgan a pass on the shitshow that was The Field Where I Died, which I feel was his only really major misstep. 

I'm WAY more worried about what CC might do with the MSR then Morgan's writing ability.

I see. 

Still kind of feel the opposite myself though, since they're unknown quantities at this point. Chris is a pita at times and I'm a wee bit worried there. But more so in regards to writing quality than the MSR.

I never interpreted Scully's "I'm not coming home" as them breaking up. I thought she meant the opposite... that they were now a couple, they had a home now, and she didn't want to work with him anymore. So maybe that's what Chris Carter means?

Something similar happens in the comic books (which used to be considered canon); Scully becomes reinvested in the X-Files after she learns that William is in danger. I wouldn't be surprised if they use William as a plot device to get M&S involved with the FBI again.

I never interpreted Scully's "I'm not coming home" as them breaking up. I thought she meant the opposite... that they were now a couple, they had a home now, and she didn't want to work with him anymore. So maybe that's what Chris Carter means?

Something similar happens in the comic books (which used to be considered canon); Scully becomes reinvested in the X-Files after she learns that William is in danger. I wouldn't be surprised if they use William as a plot device to get M&S involved with the FBI again.

I wouldn't be either. As long as they don't use him as a wedge, I'd be ok with it.

I see. 

Still kind of feel the opposite myself though, since they're unknown quantities at this point. Chris is a pita at times and I'm a wee bit worried there. But more so in regards to writing quality than the MSR.

I'm worried about both, I thing to some extent they play off each other. I'm worried that CC will break them up for no good reason and we will get six episodes of unnecessary conflict before an inevitable reconciliation; or worse we get six episodes of CC dancing around an M/S marriage because he can't write a romantic relationship to save himself.

The reason I was fairly ambivalent about the canonical MSR back in the day (I couldn't get enough of MSR fanfic) was a lack of faith in the writers not to use it as a crutch. IWTB bore out a lot of those fears. M/S have such an interesting relationship, romantic or not, I hope the writers don't ruin it.

• Love 2