Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here

I never took the IWTB scene as a break-up, just as Scully saying she didn't want any part of this anymore, so if Mulder insisted on continuing with the case, she'd be staying at the hospital until it was over. 

And count me in as having far more faith in the writing abilities of Morgan and Wong than CC.  They have one strike on their record.  He has ... I don't even know.  They're more consistent.  Plus, they embrace the relationship, and don't run screaming from the room at the thought of Scully as a sexual being.

I think it will be a fairly collaborative process as it was back in the day, only hopefully this time CC isn't coming through with his red pen trying to keep things about the relationship ambiguous.

• Love 4

Well, here we go. Some more spoilers (via SpoilerTV) on what we are going to see in the show. Interesting. Good stuff. Summarized below (it's a short article)

The Good:

- It will be a mix of mytharc and standalone. That makes me happy.

- James Wong and Glen Morgan are officially back, and Morgan is also Exec Producer.

- Each will produce and direct one episode each (just as I thought. CC will get one or two episodes).

- Wait, what? Did you just say the words....The Lone Gunmen???

- Whoa, slow down there - did you just hint at a M/S love scene??? (I bet you it's a tease)

- Hints of actually explaining why/when/how M+S got together.

- They mention the return of the "Cold Open" like in the TV series. I like it.

The Bad (possibly):

- Scully/Mulder's relationship will not be "where we left it". Sigh, CC. Leave them be unless it's to advance the relationship, not damage it.

I never took the IWTB scene as a break-up, just as Scully saying she didn't want any part of this anymore, so if Mulder insisted on continuing with the case, she'd be staying at the hospital until it was over.

I never took it as a breakup either. I took it as Scully giving an ultimatum and Mulder considering choosing the option where he loses Scully. I hated the whole situation, because it's not believable that Mulder would choose to lose Scully for some random case that he's not personally invested in at all. Not after all they had been through and all that Scully had given up/lost for him and their quest. I also hated that they portrayed Scully as wanting to leave everything about the X-Files behind. At this point, they believe that the alien colonization is going to happen in 2012, and yet Scully wants to do nothing about it? We saw in Sixth Extinction/Amor Fati that Mulder is the one who would be tempted to forget all responsibilities while Scully is the one who would stand up and fight even a losing battle. If Scully was a quitter, she would have been out of the X-Files after she was abducted or after her sister was killed. 

Anyway, I have faith that Chris will not break them up in the new series. I want to believe that he's not that oblivious to what fans want to see.

It will be a mix of mytharc and standalone. That makes me happy.

I like this too, but I'm having a hard time thinking about how that would work with only 6 episodes. But I think it's a good decision to not make it completely mytharc.

• Love 1

I'm worried about both, I thing to some extent they play off each other. I'm worried that CC will break them up for no good reason and we will get six episodes of unnecessary conflict before an inevitable reconciliation; or worse we get six episodes of CC dancing around an M/S marriage because he can't write a romantic relationship to save himself.

The reason I was fairly ambivalent about the canonical MSR back in the day (I couldn't get enough of MSR fanfic) was a lack of faith in the writers not to use it as a crutch. IWTB bore out a lot of those fears. M/S have such an interesting relationship, romantic or not, I hope the writers don't ruin it.

I'm concerned about that too. He did an ok job in terms of part of it, but we don't need drama. I hope they don't either. They have to deal with a large elephant in the room, but it's an interesting one imo. Why screw it up? :\ 

Handling it well will give the actors something to work with and will evolve the characters and move them forward, not backwards.

And count me in as having far more faith in the writing abilities of Morgan and Wong than CC.  They have one strike on their record.  He has ... I don't even know.  They're more consistent.  Plus, they embrace the relationship, and don't run screaming from the room at the thought of Scully as a sexual being.

I think it will be a fairly collaborative process as it was back in the day, only hopefully this time CC isn't coming through with his red pen trying to keep things about the relationship ambiguous.

Fair point. Maybe we might get something from them in that regard ;). Who knows? But they'd probably have to tie Chris up lol. All kidding aside, it seems as if he's more open to that elephant in the room as of late (at least since around IWTB).

Word. It seems as if he's more open to the red pen correcting HIS work this time. He needs to be open about the relationship now. We're all adults. We can handle it ;).

I never took it as a breakup either. I took it as Scully giving an ultimatum and Mulder considering choosing the option where he loses Scully. I hated the whole situation, because it's not believable that Mulder would choose to lose Scully for some random case that he's not personally invested in at all. Not after all they had been through and all that Scully had given up/lost for him and their quest. I also hated that they portrayed Scully as wanting to leave everything about the X-Files behind. At this point, they believe that the alien colonization is going to happen in 2012, and yet Scully wants to do nothing about it? We saw in Sixth Extinction/Amor Fati that Mulder is the one who would be tempted to forget all responsibilities while Scully is the one who would stand up and fight even a losing battle. If Scully was a quitter, she would have been out of the X-Files after she was abducted or after her sister was killed. 

Anyway, I have faith that Chris will not break them up in the new series. I want to believe that he's not that oblivious to what fans want to see.

I like this too, but I'm having a hard time thinking about how that would work with only 6 episodes. But I think it's a good decision to not make it completely mytharc.

I do to a point. Hopefully lol. Seriously though, I think he's starting to realize it more.

Well, here we go. Some more spoilers (via SpoilerTV) on what we are going to see in the show. Interesting. Good stuff. Summarized below (it's a short article)

The Good:

- It will be a mix of mytharc and standalone. That makes me happy.

- James Wong and Glen Morgan are officially back, and Morgan is also Exec Producer.

- Each will produce and direct one episode each (just as I thought. CC will get one or two episodes).

- Wait, what? Did you just say the words....The Lone Gunmen???

- Whoa, slow down there - did you just hint at a M/S love scene??? (I bet you it's a tease)

- Hints of actually explaining why/when/how M+S got together.

- They mention the return of the "Cold Open" like in the TV series. I like it.

The Bad (possibly):

- Scully/Mulder's relationship will not be "where we left it". Sigh, CC. Leave them be unless it's to advance the relationship, not damage it.

Maybe with Morgan as a part of it... we might have a chance at that ;). Still figure it's a tease with his whole 'in a way' comment. But still he's facing the elephant in the room imo more than I ever thought he would. So I'll give him that.

Aha! I figured. Thank you, Free Dictionary. 

Here's their meaning for 'in a way'.

And one of the meanings that stood out to me: 1. To a certain extent; with reservations

Oh boy. Where's a roll eyes smiley when we need one?

Here's the meaning for 'reservations'.

1. The act of reserving; a keeping back or withholding (sound familiar?) Please, Please Morgan and Wong... help in this regard so it's not such a damn tease!

Chris Carter: As regular as a bowel movement. Any joking aside... come on Chris! For once (aside from IWTB) Chris, surprise us instead of taking the usual route! You partially did that in IWTB, you can do it again! :)

That's what I thought about the relationship issue, until I saw the words, "It has matured and evolved" <-- not the exact quote, but close enough.

I thought they'd be broken up (or at least physically separated) at the start of IWTB; I figured CC would want to try to avoid writing them as being simply and undeniably in a relationship as long as possible and the studio would want the "will they or won't they reunite?" thing as a hook for the film.  I couldn't relax until we got the spoilers and knew they were living together at the start and still together at the end.

This time around, though, while I'm always a little nervous because CC has such serious issues with sexual relationships, I don't have much real fear of a break-up.  My "Oh god, I hope they didn't get married" reaction was my immediate one upon reading that blurb.  If it had just been the line about their relationship being in a different place now than it was at the end of IWTB, a mini (or not-so-mini)-freakout that they'd broken up would have commenced.  But between CC noting they weren't married (at the time of living together in IWTB) and the line about it maturing and some word I'm forgetting that indicates moving forward, not backward, my instinctual reaction was marriage, not break-up.

And hopefully with only six episodes to play with, CC and the rest have better things to do with their scripts than write break-ups and reconciliations.  There will be conflict, of course, but hopefully everyone is approaching those conflicts with the understanding they'll still be together at the end of them.  The one thing IWTB did well was show me Mulder had the ability to "get out of the car" when need be.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I thought they'd be broken up (or at least physically separated) at the start of IWTB; I figured CC would want to try to avoid writing them as being simply and undeniably in a relationship as long as possible and the studio would want the "will they or won't they reunite?" thing as a hook for the film.  I couldn't relax until we got the spoilers and knew they were living together at the start and still together at the end.

This time around, though, while I'm always a little nervous because CC has such serious issues with sexual relationships, I don't have much real fear of a break-up.  My "Oh god, I hope they didn't get married" reaction was my immediate one upon reading that blurb.  If it had just been the line about their relationship being in a different place now than it was at the end of IWTB, a mini (or not-so-mini)-freakout that they'd broken up would have commenced.  But between CC noting they weren't married (at the time of living together in IWTB) and the line about it maturing and some word I'm forgetting that indicates moving forward, not backward, my instinctual reaction was marriage, not break-up.

And hopefully with only six episodes to play with, CC and the rest have better things to do with their scripts than write break-ups and reconciliations.  There will be conflict, of course, but hopefully everyone is approaching those conflicts with the understanding they'll still be together at the end of them.  The one thing IWTB did well was show me Mulder had the ability to "get out of the car" when need be.

I was the same way! Really nervous.

Nah, mine wasn't. Tbh, now there's less of a chance imo for him to be able to dodge certain elephants if they're married ;). And if it does go there, I'm reserving this smiley --> wiigot2bkidding.gif  Aside from that though, I'd love to see the Lone Gunmen's faces if they (M & S -- for real) are married :P.

Hopefully. Yep. They're grown ups they can handle it. Exactly.

• Love 1

Yeah. What annoys me about CC is that he was constantly hand wringing and pussy footing around the MSR until he ground it into something almost unrecognizable at times. You guys are right - I don't think M/S ever really broke up in IWTB but there sure as hell was a lot more conflict and emotional distance than I would have desired. These interviews with Chris where he talks about this new "development" in the MSR have me rolling my eyes. What are you up to you salty old surfer? Don't fuck us around, now.

Edited by Elysium1973
  • Love 1

Yeah. What annoys me about CC is that he was constantly hand wringing and pussy footing around the MSR until he ground it into something almost unrecognizable in IWTB. You guys are right - I don't think M/S ever really broke up in IWTB but there sure as hell was a lot more conflict and emotional distance than I would have desired. These interviews with Chris where he talks about this new "development" in the MSR have me rolling my eyes. What are you up to you salty old surfer? Don't fuck us around, now.

Exactly. Up to IWTB, I think he got some things right there. Except in regards to the drama. And them working separately.

I remember the OLD days. Hell it's why I became a shipper in the first place. Since he was SO against the relationship.

Word. NO more games! Enough's enough. Either have some guts (up to a point), or don't bother. Echoing what I mentioned before, you did it in IWTB. You let them be in bed (to a point) and you let them french kiss. Don't chicken out now ;)!

Damn it! It's official you guys :(. Vince Gilligan won't be able to help out. He's busy with Better Call Saul.

Here's the info: 

Hi Vince! What was your favorite "X-Files" episode that you wrote and will you be writing more for the reboot?
[–]RealVinceGilligan 51 points an hour ago*
I had so many favorite X-Files episodes, it's hard to narrow it down to just one.
If you held my feet to the fire, I'd probably say "Bad Blood." But really, as an experience, my favorite writing moment on The X-Files was probably writing "Je Souhaite" episode. That's the one with the genie.
That's because that's the first episode I got to direct as well as write. And it was really a wonderful turning point in my career and it was a great deal of fun to boot.
Unfortunately I won't be writing for the reboot, because my work on Better Call Saul will keep me from doing that. I'm very sad to miss out, because I would love to have a hand in The X-Files reboot. The X-Files was my second favorite job ever, a close second to Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, and I'd love to be a part of it. Rest assured, I will be watching it as a fan. I can't wait to see it.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/34g1us/i_am_vince_gilligan_ama/

Thanks to XFN mentioning about it on Twitter.

I saw that. So sad. :(

Yea and I saw on Twitter that Robert Patrick doesn't want to play Doggett again :(. Guess they really missed the boat on that one. I remember an interview from 2013 (I think?) that had him saying he was interested (not the exact phrase). Guess having a popular show makes a difference.

Oh well.

Yea and I saw on Twitter that Robert Patrick doesn't want to play Doggett again :(.

If you look on IMDB, it lists Robert Patrick as playing Dogget for the six episodes. Speculation or is it confirmed that he is not coming back. Hmmm...

Too bad about Vince Gilligan but I mean he was/is hugely successful with Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. These two shows are his legacy, where he will truly make his name, like the X-Files are Chris Carter's legacy/made his name.

If you look on IMDB, it lists Robert Patrick as playing Dogget for the six episodes. Speculation or is it confirmed that he is not coming back. Hmmm...

It seems to be pretty confirmed (might be spec though).  I'll go get the link. Had to take my dogs out.

Here it is: http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/the-x-files/243258/the-x-files-revival-news-robert-patrick-says-no-agent-doggett

The exact quote (going by the last sentence though, it sounds as if they might have confirmed Annabeth):

Recent updates:

Robert Patrick, known for his role as John Doggett, Mulder’s season eight and nine replacement, was asked about his time on The X-Files at a Scandinavian Sci-Fi convention. He immediately jumped into why he doesn’t want to be a part of the new episodes.

“I wanna do as many different roles that I can, and not just one thing,” Patrick said. “So the same I feel about with John Doggett and the X-Files. I'm doing a new show right now called Scorpion, that I love. And I’d much rather be doing that show than going backwards and revisiting a character that I’ve already done.”

Understandable. But then it got a little weird:

“I loved doing the X-Files then I did it, and Gillian Anderson is a beautiful sexy woman to work with every day,” Patrick said. “And so is Annabeth Gish. And I wish them all the best with that new project.”

^^ Weird.....

I think some people just throw updates into IMDB without waiting for the confirmation. Man, those are some strong words though about not coming back (which everyone else on the show is). I have a feeling Patrick didn't quite enjoy his time on TXF's. That's okay. Like the guy, think he's a good actor, but stick with Scorpion. I want "classic" X-Files, not season 8 and 9 scrambling mess X-Files.

• Love 1

^^ Weird.....

I think some people just throw updates into IMDB without waiting for the confirmation. Man, those are some strong words though about not coming back (which everyone else on the show is). I have a feeling Patrick didn't quite enjoy his time on TXF's. That's okay. Like the guy, think he's a good actor, but stick with Scorpion. I want "classic" X-Files, not season 8 and 9 scrambling mess X-Files.

Yea. That's what I was thinking too.

I didn't get that feeling from him before tbh. He seemed to want to be back on, if Chris wanted him there.

Nah. I liked 8 and 9 ok.

I have a feeling Patrick didn't quite enjoy his time on TXF's.

I got the sense that he liked it as much as any other job he's had, but he's not emotionally invested in it. I think he must know that fans didn't exactly welcome his character's presence on the show and that a large part of the fandom does not want to see him in the revival, so when he knows that his presence might not be welcome, and he has more important things going on, I can see why he's not that excited about coming back to a show that he was only on for 2 (bad) seasons.

What defines an episode as 'classic'? Outside of the usual thoughts? I'm curious.

I figure good writing and good acting.

I would say "classic" includes both Mulder and Scully behaving in character to what made them strong and interesting (pre-season 8 imo), sticking to the emotional points that have always been the driving force behind the mythology (Mulder's need to learn about Samantha and his father's involvement, Scully's abduction, cancer, infertility arc, trying to stand up to a government that has doomed mankind, etc). So to me, this rules out anything that comes along with Dogget and Reyes as they have no personal investment in any of those things. 

• Love 1
(edited)

In the broadest sense, "classic" X-Files would be Mulder and Scully investigating aliens/paranormal/etc. Some people probably have an even more limited definition of what qualifies as "classic"--there are those who I think would probably say that leaving Vancouver was a significant enough change that it ceased to be "classic" XF anymore. But certainly Mulder/Scully I think is the defining element of the show, so remove one or both of those and you're way out of "classic" range.

ETA:

Classic = Vancouver. ;)

See? :)

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1

If the timing of these things being reported here is the same as how they happened, then Robert Patrick is saying he doesn't want to revisit the role after it has already been said Doggett and Reyes won't be included in the revival. 

See, I'm actually quite torn on the whole Vancouver thing. Move happened between 5 and 6, right? I don't think the move was the end of good eps, but I do think the vibe changed a good deal, even though a handful of season 6 eps are among my favorites.

In the broadest sense, "classic" X-Files would be Mulder and Scully investigating aliens/paranormal/etc. Some people probably have an even more limited definition of what qualifies as "classic"--there are those who I think would probably say that leaving Vancouver was a significant enough change that it ceased to be "classic" XF anymore. But certainly Mulder/Scully I think is the defining element of the show, so remove one or both of those and you're way out of "classic" range.

ETA:

See? :)

Those to me are the obvious reasons. How a lot of outside fans view it. Not that it's bad.

Vancouver, now that's a good one!

I could definitely see considering only the Vancouver years to be classic XF. I think there's a definite shift that happened after moving to LA, if only in general atmosphere (perhaps more dramatically in season 6 than season 7, actually). Even though I love a lot of season 6 and some of season 7 I wouldn't argue much with someone who claims they don't qualify as classic XF.

• Love 1

I could definitely see considering only the Vancouver years to be classic XF. I think there's a definite shift that happened after moving to LA, if only in general atmosphere (perhaps more dramatically in season 6 than season 7, actually). Even though I love a lot of season 6 and some of season 7 I wouldn't argue much with someone who claims they don't qualify as classic XF.

Neither would I.

But tbh, I think everyone has their own ideas on what would classify as such. There are some later episodes I really enjoy that I kind of consider classics. Like Arcadia, Alone, The Unnatural. for example.

What defines an episode as 'classic'? Outside of the usual thoughts? I'm curious.

I figure good writing and good acting.

Basically everything up to season 6. I think season 7 had some classic M&S episodes, but it started to get weird. Like think the episode Hollywood, AD for example. They were spoofing the franchise and characters and it just didn't seem right (by this, I mean a normal X-Files episode). The one spoofing COPS was another one. Don't get me wrong, there are some really enjoyable episodes in season 6 and 7, but the feel was off.

Classic to me is the focus on M&S, no William, no Doggett or Reyes. Classic is them fighting the Syndicate, the hints and info about the alien mytharc, along with the awesome standalone episodes, and the growing relationship and strengthening trust between M&S.

See, I'm actually quite torn on the whole Vancouver thing. Move happened between 5 and 6, right? I don't think the move was the end of good eps, but I do think the vibe changed a good deal, even though a handful of season 6 eps are among my favorites.

This comment - classic is also the background environment where they are. I mean, most of the alien mytharc episodes, or creepy occurences occured in the thick woods of Vancouver (think of the episode Darkness Falls). The woods, and the rainy gloomy weather and the creepy lighting were like their own character on the show and set the mood and atmosphere of the episode. So classic = Vancouver, as mentioned.

Basically everything up to season 6. I think season 7 had some classic M&S episodes, but it started to get weird. Like think the episode Hollywood, AD for example. They were spoofing the franchise and characters and it just didn't seem right (by this, I mean a normal X-Files episode). The one spoofing COPS was another one. Don't get me wrong, there are some really enjoyable episodes in season 6 and 7, but the feel was off.

Classic to me is the focus on M&S, no William, no Doggett or Reyes. Classic is them fighting the Syndicate, the hints and info about the alien mytharc, along with the awesome standalone episodes, and the growing relationship and strengthening trust between M&S.

This comment - classic is also the background environment where they are. I mean, most of the alien mytharc episodes, or creepy occurences occured in the thick woods of Vancouver (think of the episode Darkness Falls). The woods, and the rainy gloomy weather and the creepy lighting were like their own character on the show and set the mood and atmosphere of the episode. So classic = Vancouver, as mentioned.

Fair point about Hollywood AD, talk about breaking the 4th wall lol. Exactly.

What if it's the NEW Syndicate? A lot of the old one is dead now. How could they recreate the feel? Word. And it (hopefully) should be interesting given where they're at now.

OH SHIT. The interview brings something towards the end of it (around the 5:11-5:12 mark) that had me fangirling all around my house. Not to mention being in shock. Another member (one from Haven) says it better: I saw him NOD HIS HEAD when the host asked if they were going to get romantic. Things just got real. O_O OH BOY. I can back that up too. Was speechless for a few minutes.

A short interview Chris gave in Vancouver: http://www.btvancouver.ca/videos/4206406080001/#__federated=1

There's a little bit at the end that had me grinning like a fool: Fox told him that the show could air around the end of January 2016 (approx. words). No specific air date yet, but that had me fangirling for a few minutes :D.

• Love 2

...but I'm having a hard time thinking about how that would work with only 6 episodes. But I think it's a good decision to not make it completely mytharc.

In my head it will follow the standard season format that the show used, just truncated to suit the six episode format. Eps 1 or 1 and 2 will be mytharc, eps 2, 3 and 4 or 3, 4 and 5 will be MotW (hopefully, a funny one, a scary one and a 'weird' one) and eps 5 and 6 or 6 will be mytharc.

I don't think Fox would have allowed them to make a totally mytharc based series, I think Fox must be well aware that making a totally mytharc based series would have alienated a lot of the existing fanbase who lost faith in the writers to tell the mytharc and would mean that there was virtually no hope of drawing in new viewers who could in no way be expected to catch up with a nine season and one movie spanning mythology. 

I've put the link in media, but am going to also include it in this thread, since it (briefly) discusses the revival.

Summary of Gillian Anderson's Panel at Wizard World Con in Minneapolis in Twitter format. A video will pop up at some point - hopefully.

Only a few tweets on the Revival, mostly general questions.

Chris asked Gillian sometime last year when she was in LA if she wanted to do revival. "No" then "maybe" and she can't wait to be red again

There you go - she'll be "Red" again!

When asked about William, she has not had the conversation with Chris yet, but she thinks he must be involved.

Hmm...this could be good, could not work out...

Et tu, Gillian?  I like your, "Eh, that would just drag things down" attitude of a few years ago better (best being pre-IWTB when she forgot there had even been a baby).

William is pretty much the last thing I want to see in this revival.  I’d still watch it, mind you, but that’s pretty high up on the list of “Ways to Ruin XF for Me.”  Of the myriad things they sacrificed to their quest, I’d like for the biggest one of all to actually work – the kid is off safe somewhere with his parents.  And I want to watch Mulder & Scully.  Not Mulder, Scully, and some maybe-supernatural adolescent.

• Love 1

Et tu, Gillian?  I like your, "Eh, that would just drag things down" attitude of a few years ago better (best being pre-IWTB when she forgot there had even been a baby).

William is pretty much the last thing I want to see in this revival.  I’d still watch it, mind you, but that’s pretty high up on the list of “Ways to Ruin XF for Me.”  Of the myriad things they sacrificed to their quest, I’d like for the biggest one of all to actually work – the kid is off safe somewhere with his parents.  And I want to watch Mulder & Scully.  Not Mulder, Scully, and some maybe-supernatural adolescent.

Who knows? Maybe she's seen the script and that changed her mind? *shrug*

I don't mind it if it's handled well. As long as the kid isn't used as the next gen bee, and things aren't melodramatic.

As for "Ways to Ruin XF for Me":

Mulder as Jesus and William as some sort of savior

M & S broken up

Melodrama

Soap Opera

William as a bee

Have M & S be like they were back in the 90's (meaning FBI work, etc. -- don't mind banter and such, just make it relevant to where they're at NOW)

CSM is alive

Three words: The Fowl One

A woman or a man comes between them

Teasing or any other similar kind of BS

• Love 2

That quote says she hasn't so much as talked with CC about it, though, let alone seen something indicating that he’ll be part of the storyline in some way.  (So I can still live in hope for now.)

That quote says she hasn't so much as talked with CC about it, though, let alone seen something indicating that he’ll be part of the storyline in some way.  (So I can still live in hope for now.)

Ah I see.

So I guess she might have just changed her mind. And what's so wrong about it? *shrug* People do that all the time.

Yep. 

LOL. She forgot about the kid!! That's hilarious. God, if she does rewatch the series (doubt it, no time) I can see her half the time going "Wait, that happened? I had a boyfriend? When the heck did I go on a date? How did I run in those heels? When the hell did I have the kid? Gosh, I was really whiny in season 8 and 9."

William is pretty much the last thing I want to see in this revival.  I’d still watch it, mind you, but that’s pretty high up on the list of “Ways to Ruin XF for Me.”  Of the myriad things they sacrificed to their quest, I’d like for the biggest one of all to actually work – the kid is off safe somewhere with his parents.  And I want to watch Mulder & Scully.  Not Mulder, Scully, and some maybe-supernatural adolescent.

I agree, Bastet, and like GA, I barely remember anything about the kid. Honestly, because I half-hearted watched season 7 during the original airing and I don't think I even finished it, and never bothered to make the effort with my DVD's. So basically, I know the kid was named after Mulder's father and that's about it.

M & S broken up

Melodrama

Soap Opera

William as a bee

Have M & S be like they were back in the 90's (meaning FBI work, etc. -- don't mind banter and such, just make it relevant to where they're at NOW)

CSM is alive

AntiBeeSpray, your list is perfection. I'll never not giggle over "The Fowl One."

I will add something to the list. The show introducing too much technology. I know it sounds weird, but I can see it take over and loses the spirit of the show. By this, I mean, yeah, it's 2015 so tech exists, but if we have M&S in an FBI meeting room, with flat screens all over the place, and a bunch of computer geeks touch screening all over the place, it will lose something. If you've seen it, think of the James Bond movie Skyfall, when they show MI6 with that high tech room. I don't know why, but to me, it would take away from the show. I think simply because in my mind, all M&S each need is a gun, a phone, a car, their brains, wits and each other.

• Love 2

LOL. She forgot about the kid!! That's hilarious. God, if she does rewatch the series (doubt it, no time) I can see her half the time going "Wait, that happened? I had a boyfriend? When the heck did I go on a date? How did I run in those heels? When the hell did I have the kid? Gosh, I was really whiny in season 8 and 9."

I agree, Bastet, and like GA, I barely remember anything about the kid. Honestly, because I half-hearted watched season 7 during the original airing and I don't think I even finished it, and never bothered to make the effort with my DVD's. So basically, I know the kid was named after Mulder's father and that's about it.

AntiBeeSpray, your list is perfection. I'll never not giggle over "The Fowl One."

I will add something to the list. The show introducing too much technology, which takes over and loses the spirit of the show. By this, I mean, yeah, it's 2015 so the tech exists, but if we have M&S in an FBI meeting room, with flat screens all over the place, and a bunch of computer geeks touch screening all over the place, it will lose something. If you've seen it, think of the James Bond movie Skyfall, when they show MI6 with that high tech room. I don't know why, but to me, it would take away from the show. I think simply because in my mind, all M&S each need is a gun, a phone, a car and each other.

Yea I remember how she did XD. It's priceless. I think it was around IWTB iirc, that she said what she had said about William originally. Read something about the recent con where she mentioned that she'd have to do a rewatch before hand XD. So your comment is definitely relevant lol.

I remember most of it, but I deny the whole 'Who's the Daddy?' bs :P. That was SO childish. Hated it more than the Fowl One.

Thanks Halcyon :). I just saw another fan over on Youtube in a video use that phrase to describe Diana Fowley. I'd been using it since back in the day, so it was nice to see someone else who still used it XD. It just fit ;).

Fair point. We don't need to be overwhelmed by it. Keep it simple.

I didn't watch season 9, so I really don't know much about the way the William plotline went down except that he was given to be adopted by another family in order to protect him (right?). Anyway, I could imagine him coming up in the revival in the context of maybe someone raising the possibility of contacting him...and then Mulder and Scully both being vehemently opposed and leaving him just where he is without any contact. Would that make any sense given what happened in season 9? At any rate, that way he would be mentioned without ever being seen and without becoming involved in the whole mythology. 

• Love 1

I didn't watch season 9, so I really don't know much about the way the William plotline went down except that he was given to be adopted by another family in order to protect him (right?). Anyway, I could imagine him coming up in the revival in the context of maybe someone raising the possibility of contacting him...and then Mulder and Scully both being vehemently opposed and leaving him just where he is without any contact. Would that make any sense given what happened in season 9? At any rate, that way he would be mentioned without ever being seen and without becoming involved in the whole mythology. 

I think that would be worse in a way. Just more drama. So it's damned if we do, damned if we don't.

A mention would be ok, but if he's seen I'd be ok too. Never got the whole NEVER see the kid thing. *shrug* As long as he isn't used as a bee, I'd be fine.

That's one of my main concerns. Along with melodrama.

Guesses for any romance ( it's all in good fun, and feel free to add on to it :) ) --

If there is a sex scene, it will be VERY poorly lit.

It'll take place in a bee hive.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't mind it if it's handled well. As long as the kid isn't used as the next gen bee, and things aren't melodramatic.

M & S broken up

Melodrama

Soap Opera

William as a bee

CSM is alive

As I have said elsewhere, I don't want William any where near the revival. Also, I do not want to hear that Scully and Mulder have even entertained the thought of having more children after William, biological or adopted.

I wouldn't mind The Fowl One appearing briefly so that someone can off her for good, on screen (in my fantasies, the offing would be performed by me.)

I would prefer the M/S relationship to be, they are together, they can show that they are together by being affectionate with one another in the way people who have been together for 15+ years and in their 50s are affectionate with each other. I have no real need for a sex scene or even much in the way of kissing, I know a number people around M/S's ages in long term relationships and they don't really display their affection physically that much, showing affection becomes more subtle with time. If the writers do go for a sex scene, I don't want it interrupted by bees/aliens/phone calls/anything else, either go there and do it properly or don't go there at all.

I hope that CSM is used in flashbacks only and for the love of God, please don't clone him.

I have no desire to see any former romantic partner of either Scully or Mulder ever again.

I hope the writers have been repeatedly watching seasons 1-6 and repeating the mantra, this is how to write a good episode, over and over again.

Edited by JacquelineLHope
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think that would be worse in a way. Just more drama. So it's damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I don't understand how it would be more drama for him to be mentioned--this would basically be one scene at the most, and likely just a few lines within one scene--than for him to actually appear on the show.

I still would prefer for him just not to come up in any way. But if the writers feel that he just cannot be ignored, I think a mention would accomplish that with minimal drama without taking up time that could be used elsewhere. 

Edited by smrou
  • Love 2

As I have said elsewhere, I don't want William any where near the revival. Also, I do not want to hear that Scully and Mulder have even entertained the thought of having more children after William, biological or adopted.

I wouldn't mind The Fowl One appearing briefly so that someone can off her for good, on screen (in my fantasies, the offing would be performed by me.)

I would prefer the M/S relationship to be, they are together, they can show that they are together by being affectionate with one another in the way people who have been together for 15+ years and in their 50s are affectionate with each other. I have no real need for a sex scene or even much in the way of kissing, I know a number people around M/S's ages in long term relationships and they don't really display their affection physically that much, showing affection becomes more subtle with time. If the writers do go for a sex scene, I don't want it interrupted by bees/aliens/phone calls/anything else, either go there and do it properly or don't go there at all.

I hope that CSM is used in flashbacks only and for the love of God, please don't clone him.

I have no desire to see any former romantic partner of either Scully or Mulder ever again.

I hope the writers have been repeatedly watching seasons 1-6 and repeating the mantra, this is how to write a good episode, over and over again.

She was offed iirc. 

Hell yes! That's where I'm at too. Let them be adults. 

Seconded.

Definitely. I'll bash my head against a pillow if they do that.

Hopefully, but hopefully NOT in regards to their relationship!

I would prefer the M/S relationship to be, they are together, they can show that they are together by being affectionate with one another in the way people who have been together for 15+ years and in their 50s are affectionate with each other.

Plus, from what we have seen, I think we can safely deduce they’re not the kind of couple who are overly touchy-feely (at any age or stage of the relationship).  In intense situations, yes, and I'm sure we'll see some of that, and in sexual situations, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a bit of that mixed in with everything else, but they just don't strike me as the kind of people who have to be physically connected at all times; hold hands to walk down the street, have an arm around each other to watch TV, etc.  I don't want to see CC's usual brand of coy bullshit, but I also don't want anyone going overboard in how they write their physical interaction, because that won't feel like M&S to me. 

(Before I could formulate that thought, I had to take a moment to trip out that Scully is in her 50s.)

• Love 2

Plus, from what we have seen, I think we can safely deduce they’re not the kind of couple who are overly touchy-feely (at any age or stage of the relationship).  In intense situations, yes, and I'm sure we'll see some of that, and in sexual situations, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a bit of that mixed in with everything else, but they just don't strike me as the kind of people who have to be physically connected at all times; hold hands to walk down the street, have an arm around each other to watch TV, etc.  I don't want to see CC's usual brand of coy bullshit, but I also don't want anyone going overboard in how they write their physical interaction, because that won't feel like M&S to me. 

(Before I could formulate that thought, I had to take a moment to trip out that Scully is in her 50s.)

Word! You hit the nail on the head. That's kind of how I view it as well. The Truth nailed it imo. And poor Skinner :P.

How much older was Mulder supposed to be compared to Scully. GA is 46, DD is 54, but I know that when GA as cast, she lied about her age because she was worried the show wouldn't believe such a young person could be an FBI agent.

And Mitch Pileggi is 63. Damn, I'm old....

How much older was Mulder supposed to be compared to Scully. GA is 46, DD is 54, but I know that when GA as cast, she lied about her age because she was worried the show wouldn't believe such a young person could be an FBI agent.

And Mitch Pileggi is 63. Damn, I'm old....

I think it's around 4-5 years. 

Wow. You're not alone there. I'm around the same age that DD was when he started out on it. 

(edited)

Scully was born in '64, so she's older than GA.  I can't remember Mulder's birth year. 

Edit: I looked it up, and Mulder was born in '61.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I think it's around 4-5 years. 

Wow. You're not alone there. I'm around the same age that DD was when he started out on it. 

I'm a few years older than you, ABS. I was a teen when TXF started up.

I am really curious as to what the ratings are going to be. Like, how much of the original group of "X-Philes" will return to watch the series. People's tastes change and maybe some of them won't be into the show like before.

The interesting thing is going to be how FOX considers the ratings. Back then, viewership ranged from 10-20+ million viewers an episode, but the show ranked very low overall (figure that one out). But in this day and age and different viewership methods, I don't think the ratings are going to be that high this time around. Will FOX be happy with 5 million. Less? I mean, shows like Big Bang Theory and Dancing with the Stars are the ones that get the big viewership, but even they don't get near the 20 million mark. Same with the Walking Dead - its about 10-12 million viewers an episode (not including DVR watched and +7 numbers).

On top of that, FOX wants that coveted 18-49 range, which probably lots of the original viewers are, but will today's younger TV watching crowd care about M&S at all, or would rather watch Kardashians on TV. Hmm....

• Love 1

I'm a few years older than you, ABS. I was a teen when TXF started up.

I am really curious as to what the ratings are going to be. Like, how much of the original group of "X-Philes" will return to watch the series. People's tastes change and maybe some of them won't be into the show like before.

The interesting thing is going to be how FOX considers the ratings. Back then, viewership ranged from 10-20+ million viewers an episode, but the show ranked very low overall (figure that one out). But in this day and age and different viewership methods, I don't think the ratings are going to be that high this time around. Will FOX be happy with 5 million. Less? I mean, shows like Big Bang Theory and Dancing with the Stars are the ones that get the big viewership, but even they don't get near the 20 million mark. Same with the Walking Dead - its about 10-12 million viewers an episode (not including DVR watched and +7 numbers).

On top of that, FOX wants that coveted 18-49 range, which probably lots of the original viewers are, but will today's younger TV watching crowd care about M&S at all, or would rather watch Kardashians on TV. Hmm....

Yea I was a little younger than a teen when it first started, but went through my teen years with it :).  And it's why it's so ironic to see M & S where they're at ( possible marriage and you know >:) ), along with Chris where he's at. He was such a NOROMO back then :P. It was fun being a shipper in those days. Not that it isn't now... but it was fun poking him in the side, so to speak. Off line though, since I didn't have online access for some of that time.

So am I. Probably. But what worries me is that Fox will want to get a huge audience right away. A lot of shows that don't develop one fast don't stay around and don't get a chance to grow one.

Fair point. I hope not O_o.

• Love 1
So am I. Probably. But what worries me is that Fox will want to get a huge audience right away. A lot of shows that don't develop one fast don't stay around and don't get a chance to grow one.

What is interesting is that the show started out slow it's first year. It took a while to get the viewership and momentum that the network wanted (even though it still had over 10 million viewers). I remember reading somewhere that if the X-Files had been released in today's television landscape, it would have been cancelled after the first season. Just think about that. Networks don't give show's a chance to get settled or gain viewership like they used to, which sucks. Their "trigger fingers" and "instant gratification" mentalities have probably taken away a lot of what would have been amazing shows from the viewing public.

• Love 1