Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Page 58

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

(edited)

Whoa.  Refreshed a page and got a look at the new format.  Sorry, but I hate it!  I'm sure I'll get used to it, but everything feels crammed over to one side.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

This is one of the few shows I watch as just "me time" 

You know, I used to feel like I had to apologize for watching bad TV like this or The Carrie Diaries etc. But now I just own it. It's not great TV but I love it and it's me time.

16 hours ago, Aryanna said:

You know, I used to feel like I had to apologize for watching bad TV like this or The Carrie Diaries etc. But now I just own it. It's not great TV but I love it and it's me time.

Yeah, when people talk about guilty pleasure tv, I'm like pffffft, I HAVE NO SHAME.

• Love 3

I still feel like I need to apologize... even though it's not like everything that my husband watches is "Masterpiece Theatre" (that's a running joke from my dad).  My "me time" only shows include(d) Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl, Carrie Diaries, The Bold Type, and Younger.  I was watching 13 Reasons Why but quit after episode 4.  My husband joked that at least with The Bold Type and Younger, the characters weren't in high school anymore.  I don't even let anyone know I listen to the Beverly Hills 90210 podcast.

The only "teen" show I feel ok with saying I watched was Veronica Mars.   Typing this makes me realize I need to get over it.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I still feel like I need to apologize... even though it's not like everything that my husband watches is "Masterpiece Theatre" (that's a running joke from my dad).  My "me time" only shows include(d) Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl, Carrie Diaries, The Bold Type, and Younger.  I was watching 13 Reasons Why but quit after episode 4.  My husband joked that at least with The Bold Type and Younger, the characters weren't in high school anymore.  I don't even let anyone know I listen to the Beverly Hills 90210 podcast.

The only "teen" show I feel ok with saying I watched was Veronica Mars.   Typing this makes me realize I need to get over it.

Girl, we're a lot alike.

I like "teen" shows too. I just recently rewatched Dawson's Creek on Prime. Well...at least the first 4 seasons. Those are the only ones that are good imo.

I loved The Carrie Diaries. I was so sad when it ended but it had probably run its course. And you know I like Younger, that's why I'm here. I tried to like The Bold Type but only got a few episodes in before giving up. I never watched Pretty Little Liars or Gossip Girl. 

What goes on in the Beverly Hills 90210 podcast? Do they discuss the show or episodes or something? I wasn't even aware that podcast existed.

22 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I watched all of those except The Bold Type, so join me in being an adult who watches teen shows and doesn't give a fuck who knows! There's no need to feel guilty about what you enjoy watching!

5c01488181ce8_ichooseme.jpg.5a41cb3fde02500e9bd22d17c90fc178.jpg

I think the teen show I watched where I got made fun of the most was Degrassi. Mostly because I had to watch Teen Nickelodeon to do it (and as a result, also got sucked into iCarly and Victorious). Didn't care, though. The last one I watched was Pretty Little Liars, though I didn't finish it. I may have finally outgrown teen shows because I haven't watched one since. Or it could be that PLL soured me on it because that show turned into a huge pile of shit towards the end.

tenor.gif?itemid=5386830

I watched a little bit of Degrassi. Hasn't there been like a hundred iterations of that show? If you go to youtube and find episodes of the original Kids of Degrassi Street, it's quite different. Degrassi was a little too self important and serious for my taste. I did like iCarly and Victorious though.

It does suck when someone catches you watching Teen Nick or some such channel. It'd be cool if there was an adult version of the channel that you could watch your teen shows and not be embarrassed kinda like when they released the Harry Potter books with adult covers like this:

V7nJkjq.jpg

8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

The last one I watched was Pretty Little Liars, though I didn't finish it. I may have finally outgrown teen shows because I haven't watched one since. Or it could be that PLL soured me on it because that show turned into a huge pile of shit towards the end.

tenor.gif?itemid=5386830

PLL was RIDICULOUS at the end. I accepted a lot of garbage when I watched that show but by the end, I was exasperated that I'd spent so many years watching and Marlene King was perfectly happy serving up a shit sandwich week after week. It did force me to ponder a philosophical question: was Spencer's twin's terrible British accent worse than Dan Humphreys being Gossip Girl?

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

PLL was RIDICULOUS at the end. I accepted a lot of garbage when I watched that show but by the end, I was exasperated that I'd spent so many years watching and Marlene King was perfectly happy serving up a shit sandwich week after week. It did force me to ponder a philosophical question: was Spencer's twin's terrible British accent worse than Dan Humphreys being Gossip Girl?

The only thing I was nearly as disappointed in was the ending of Lost.  I was trying to explain to my 13 year old that way back then, we actually watched a show on dvr (another side conversation) and didn't binge and if the show made you wait a year that was it, and there was lots of talk about it. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Aryanna said:

What goes on in the Beverly Hills 90210 podcast? Do they discuss the show or episodes or something? I wasn't even aware that podcast existed.

The podcast is actually called Again With This, and it's listed on the forums under podcast.  They rewatch every episode, make fun of it, and then have a fun little challenge at the end.  It's hilarious.  Even when the show itself is dying (like in the final seasons), the podcast is great.  But I only listen by myself. 

• Love 1

I'd never watched Gossip Girl but decided to give it a try after listening to you girls talk about it. I'm thinking about getting ino the show but don't know if I wanna watch 6 seasons of it. That'sa lot of TV watching to get done. 

Is the question of who Gossip Girl is a mystery throughout the show?

23 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Is the question of who Gossip Girl is a mystery throughout the show?

It’s been awhile but I think it goes unknown until the last episode. Also I don’t know about everyone else, but I hated who it turned out to be.  

Also maybe it’s because I saw it as an adult and not a teen, but I couldn’t get past how toxic the Blair/Chuck relationship is. People love them, and I don’t get it. I don’t find anything romantic about it. 

Edited by Stuffy
5 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Well I don't know why I would even start it if I was only gonna watch the first season. I may just bow out then.

Is Jenny Humphrey gossip girl?

No but she might turn into a panda as her eyeliner gets wider and wider. 

• Love 1
On 5/27/2019 at 3:28 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Even in my youth, I knew that Hilary Duff wasn’t a great singer but I still have nostalgia for songs like Come Clean (it always reminds me of Laguna Hills) and So Yesterday. 

On a related note, one day several years ago Straight Up came on the radio and Mr. EB said, “Wow, Paula Abdul is not a good singer. Didn’t anyone notice that back then?” I just had to laugh. 

I think the same things about Madonna and Cher. They had limited range and a horrible vibrato on sustained, held notes. Madonna was better in her later material because she went with songs that better suited her range and didn't hold long notes but wow, her early stuff -- as popular as it was -- some of it is painful to listen to. I can't listen to Dress You Up, the vibrato in that is like nails on a chalkboard.