Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Eyes Look Your Last

The night shift crew is put to the test when a teenage couple and a young mom land in the emergency room after a serious car crash. Topher, TC, Jordan and Scott tend to the youngsters, who were returning from their secret wedding. As the girl’s condition worsens, TC tries in vein to calm her distraught father. Jordan and Gwen tend to the other victim, a young pregnant woman whose fiancé is deployed in Afghanistan. The team hastily arranges a proxy wedding so that she can be married before delivering the baby through an emergency caesarian section. Meanwhile, Paul tends to a wealthy, eccentric hospital benefactor who teaches him it’s ok to follow his heart.

This was a good one.

TC is much, much better when the Greek chorus shuts up about his greatness and he's just a doctor trying to do his best. It was good to see him thank Topher, and not take his friendship for granted.

I realized in this episode that the women doctors are a bit too much defined by their "sensitivity" for my taste (Jordan and the mother-to-be, Krista's role limited to emotional reactions here) and in that respect, as a character, T.C with his emo/hypersensitive side balances things.

Loved that Paul had a storyline, and I loved that storyline. Mrs Capshaw is a riot.

Please, tell me that Scott is really over Jordan and the triangle won't rear its head again. I liked that for once, he was allowed to overcome his bitterness and show that he can be a decent guy.

Drew had a storyline, and not about his boyfriend! He was right about reading the charts, but I'm glad that he's over the juvenile pranks/grudge. I'd like to see him more as Paul and Ragosa's teacher.

What annoyed me:

Molly's attitude with Ragosa (more: seriously, seriously pissed me off).

So, it's Chavez or Scott? I missed Chavez.

I'm still waiting for Krista to have a real storyline this season.

Not enough Krista and Drew friendship.

Ragosa continues to be a character I love (not perfect, but having dignity). Topher continues to rule them all.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3

I kept falling asleep so didn't see all of it, but from what I did see, TC and surgeon hotshot were much more palatable when not seeing who is / has the bigger dick.

For ER docs in a busy trauma center, they sure have a lot of time for sit downs and chit chats with patients or families.

Topher continues to rule them all.

So true.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

So the mom has an emergency C-section to deliver her premature baby and an hour later she is sitting up cuddling said baby (who wasn't rushed away to an incubator in NICU) and talking to baby daddy. Okay.

I wonder what the backstory on the best friend EMT is. She doesn't seem to want to go home much and she gets sad looks on her face a lot. But you would think that she would have mentioned that the one driver was pregnant when she was brought in,

This was a good one.

Loved that Paul had a storyline, and I loved that storyline. Mrs Capshaw is a riot.

Drew had a storyline, and not about his boyfriend! He was right about reading the charts, but I'm glad that he's over the juvenile pranks/grudge. I'd like to see him more as Paul and Ragosa's teacher.

So, it's Chavez or Scott? I missed Chavez.

Not enough Krista and Drew friendship.

Ragosa continues to be a character I love (not perfect, but having dignity). Topher continues to rule them all.

First off, damn straight about Topher.  LOVE HIM!  "The first rule of emergency medicine is don't piss off the nurses."  (Did I say how much I love Topher?)

Mrs. Capshaw needs to come back.  I like her.

This pains me, but Drew was pissing me off last night.  Yes, Regosa did not always make things easy for the ER last season, but he was in a different job with vastly different responsibilities.  I also don't think he was as much of a jerk as Drew made him out to be.  Besides the revelation about Drew's job that we heard about last night, Regosa was very supportive of the ER during the hostage incident when Topher was shot. and Regosa helped out several times last season.  I found Drew's characterization of Regosa to be unfair, and I could not figure out how a captain in the armed forces could seem to forget the concept of "chain of command."  I hope that handshake means Drew is over that crap.  It does not suit him.

Agree about Chavez and the Drew/Krista friendship.

Killing D,B. Sweeney's character is not right.  (I've had a soft spot for him since "The Cutting Edge.")

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1

I kept falling asleep so didn't see all of it, but from what I did see, TC and surgeon hotshot were much more palatable when not seeing who is / has the bigger dick.

Yes, I would be pleasantly surprised if they found an understanding. Guys begin as rivals, punch each other, and then become buddies might be trope-y, but I prefer it to neverending pettiness.

This pains me, but Drew was pissing me off last night.  Yes, Regosa did not always make things easy for the ER last season, but he was in a different job with vastly different responsibilities.  I also don't think he was as much of a jerk as Drew made him out to be.  Besides the revelation about Drew's job that we heard about last night, Regosa was very supportive of the ER during the hostage incident when Topher was shot. and Regosa helped out several times last season.  I found Drew's characterization of Regosa to be unfair, and I could not figure out how a captain in the armed forces could seem to forget the concept of "chain of command."  I hope that handshake means Drew is over that crap.  It does not suit him.

I agree. And I has enough of the  pranks after a couple of episodes last season already. 

I was disappointed by Drew's  attitude (he needs to hang out more with Krista ASAP, because she makes him better imo) but thinking about it, it makes sense to me. I have the feeling that Drew is the most gregarious of the bunch, precisely because he feared rejection for so long. The "group" (led by my new personal unfavorite, Molly) resents Ragosa, and I can't help but think that Drew overplayed it to assert that he's one of the guys, and maybe more than the others. Hence the "avenging".

Although imo they resent Ragosa more because he's the new guy+the ex-boss in a very juvenile way, imo -as you said, he was way more supportive than his initial attitude would have made believe. Even though Landry played a big role there...oh, look, yet another opportunity to say that I miss her!

On a side note, the ratings are still maintaining for this episode (in preliminary ratings at least). It seems there's a small core of regular/loyal viewers. I don't know if it's enough for a renewal, but I think it's way better than the last weeks of State of Affairs (that were around 1.0, IIRC). Who would have thought. I still believe it works better as a fun summer show, though.

I wonder what the backstory on the best friend EMT is. She doesn't seem to want to go home much and she gets sad looks on her face a lot. But you would think that she would have mentioned that the one driver was pregnant when she was brought in,

I hope they didn't give her Landry's backstory (well, she can't have A.Martinez as a dad so she can't be as cool anyway). I'd be miffed. But I still don't care about her.

Edited by Happy Harpy

This was a good episode.  They didn't do what I thought they were going to do with Mrs. Capshaw, which was to ape House and reveal she had tertiary syphilis which the first thing I thought when Topher looked into her eyes.  Good on the show for going in a different direction.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to say this without going across like the liberal, blue-state asshole that I so often am, but there is this aspect of military worship that goes into the show that kind of bothers me after a while.  There are good stories to tell, and for the ones that don't involve TC, I generally approve, but the dismissal of TC and Topher as "just doctors" bugged me.  I have an uncle and a cousin who were/are surgeons in the Navy, and I have great respect for them, and for every man and woman in uniform (including a few of my classmates), but I also have a hard time getting around the fact that, for me personally, military service was illegal until 2011, and until 2013, my husband wouldn't have qualified as my spouse.  And now I'm too old.  There are a lot--a LOT--of interesting stories about PTSD that they could use TC to tell, but rather than have him actually deal with it, it's an afterthought and his experiences in war are just used to explain what an awesome doctor he is.

Dear Show:  Paul's father wanting to get him a slot in Johns Hopkins' surgical residency program is not how residency works.

Dear Show, Pt II:  Texas may not have sexual orientation as a protected class for employment, but the entities that actually run Graduate Medical Education most certainly do.

Dear Show, Pt III:  You don't just hand somebody the defibrillator and let them shock a patient who's coding.  

• Love 1

Killing D,B. Sweeney's character is not right.  (I've had a soft spot for him since "The Cutting Edge.")

The truth is, I've been doing a little figure skating.  "FINGER PAINTING?"

I respect that the show is trying to incorporate the VA theme (as a daughter of a 100% perm disabled PTSD Vietnam Vet) in an ongoing way where so many shows have the very special VA episode.  I think they're just completely unable to deal with it in a way that isn't completely ham-handed. 

• Love 1

Loved Paul and the hospital benefactor. She was a riot, but also gave him some excellent advice. I loved their final moment together, as he kissed her hand and Topher's looking at Paul like "WTF?"

Yeah, that was awesome. They were cute together. I figured she was high because the scenario reminded me of an "Untold Stories of the ER" epi in which an elderly grande dame had mistakenly eaten several magic brownies and the staff couldn't figure what was wrong with her for the longest time.

I hate practical jokes. They are cruel and humiliating. Never understood the attraction.

• Love 1

So, it's Chavez or Scott?

Since both Adam Rodriguez and Scott Wolf are only guest, I wonder if, after the premiere, they are just going to alternate each episode or something.  Watch me eat my words and both of them show up next week, but that's what I'm thinking right now.

Agree that TC seemed much better then normal in this episode.  Not as many over-the-top heroics, but just simply being a doctor and trying to save patients' lives.  And I continue to love TC/Topher and hope they push that more, since Topher makes everything better.  Ken Leung is the best.

Do hope Drew tones down the jerky-behavior soon.  I get giving Ragosa a hard time about learning to read charts and I get pranking comes with the territory, but he really was getting mean-spirited at times.  I know Ragosa was a dick during his time as an administrator, but I don't remember him being that bad with Drew.  I mean, even TC and Jordan seem to being more respectful.  Whatever, once again Topher swoops in and lets him know that Ragosa saved him from a homophobic member of the board trying to fire his ass, so he'll be nicer now.

The "patients of the week" had their usual suspense and drama, but, damn, that was cold what they did to D.W. Sweeney's character.  Thinks his daughter his brain dead, so he shoots himself, dies, and then, miracle!  Daughter wakes up!  Ouch.  I actually am perfectly fine with TC being distraught over those turn of events.

I wonder if he'll be actually meeting Paul's dad soon.

Enjoyed this episode actually.  Worried about next week though.  I really can't think of any show that has handled a "Do Not Resuscitate" story-line well, and I'm not sure if this show will be any better.

• Love 1

That's who it was!! Was bugging me during the episode, but apparently not enough to look it up. I loved The Cutting Edge!

Did the daughter wake up? I missed that.

Did the daughter wake up? I missed that.

Yes, right at the very end, she opened her eyes and looked at TC, who looked over at Topher as if to say, "Shit... how do we tell her that her dad is dead?"

A gripe from a Texan about people who write about Texas but don't understand Texas...  Non-Texans don't understand just how big the state is.

The teenagers who were in the wreck went to Arkansas to get married.  They had to get there and back before anyone noticed they were gone.  It's a MINIMUM of 6.5 hours in light traffic to get from San Antonio to the closest point in Arkansas.  If they hit traffic snarls in San Antonio (pretty much a given) or in Austin (pretty much a given), I'd estimate 8 hours.  Allowing for time to get a license, find someone to marry them, eat, bathroom breaks, we're talking probably an 18 (or more) hour round trip.  Surely someone would notice their teenager was out of pocket for almost a full day.  You could drive from New York City to Cincinnati and back in about the same amount of time.

In last week's show, one doctor (I don't know names) offered to sit with the girl whose father got crushed by the elevator until her aunt arrived from Dallas.  A doctor has time to sit with a family member for 4 or more hours?

In one of the first shows, TC went to an accident in Kerrville.  It's 65 miles away.  They have life flight and EMTs in Kerrville.  Calling an SA hospital for a chopper & doctor would not be the first option.

(sigh...)

Edited by llongori
  • Love 3