Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E17: The Colonization Application

I don't think Amy's issue was that she was worried that he would actually go. It was because he applied without talking to her about it first.

I don't like Emily either. She's just not funny. Just annoying. Although, I think Raj deserves her. He used to be nice (mostly). Since he can talk, he veers into d-bag territory way too often.

• Love 1

I don't think Amy's issue was that she was worried that he would actually go. It was because he applied without talking to her about it first.

Which she told him in the pet store.  What I liked about the whole fight between Amy and Sheldon was that she wasn't afraid to come right out and tell him why she was upset and he actually took that on board and came up with a solution.  It was nice to see that there was a conflict and they worked together to fix it.  Given Sheldon's selfishness this is a step forward for him.

Overall I really liked this episode but I found the whole sidebar with Howard and Bernadette unnecessary.   They do this a lot on this show though.  Every character has to get at least a few lines even if they aren't really part of the actual story.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I mean it is nice that all the actors get a little screen time but sometimes, like in this episode, it seems a little forced.

(edited)

"Please go to Mars.." with Leonard's exasperated look was priceless!

I also enjoyed Sheldon's crazy application to go to "MARS...-Mars...-mars..."

Edited by Eri
  • Love 1

I think the pie in the face wasn't so much meant to be funny on its own (even though I busted out laughing.) I think it was meant to show, as was the whole video, that there was no way Sheldon would EVER be part of a mission to colonize Mars and therefore Amy had nothing to worry about!

So are those who liked the pie-in-Leonard's-face laughing because of how it shows that Sheldon is clueless regarding what a winning video would be like?

Didn't Sheldon once say that he couldn't live in a city  with the "wheel and spoke" design?  Somebody should've told him that Mars was going to be colonized that way, and he would've withdrawn that application faster than he could throw a pie! 

• Love 4
For me the humor wasn't because a pie in the face is funny, but because it was so unexpected and also combining two completely different jokes.

Excellent comedy writing as far as I'm concerned.   I've never liked slapstick comedy and I'm not much for prop humor...but this was genius.

• Love 6

After Sheldon and Amy joyously announced "we're going to buy a turtle" and my husband and I laughed, our 13 year old son asked "what does it mean 'to buy a turtle'?" He thought it was some sort of euphemism for something sexual.

• Love 9

The pie in the face was funny to me because I liked the callback to that trick can, which has been used in a few different episodes, and also reminded me of that Halloween? episode when Sheldon tries (and fails) to scare each of the guys. Not only was there the element of surprise with the pie, but he finally got a true Bazinga! in.

• Love 2

I was watching this again today and noticed that Emily's bedspread and pillows were green and purple. It's a well known comic truism that heroes are depicted in primary colors, while villians wear secondary colors like green, purple and orange (Joker, Lex Luthor, Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus). I wonder if this was just an in-joke by the writers or if it really means something.

• Love 3