Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: XIV

(edited)

Hmmmmm. I don’t quite know what I think of that episode.

THE GOOD
The fight between Flint and Vane was awesome.  So was Eleanor’s ending it with a shotgun blast.  Loved it.

Jack “Motherfucking” Rackham.  Lest you had any doubts, the man IS a sailor.  He IS a pirate.  He is a BAMF.   And he had the best line in the episode:  “Listen.  No women.”

Jack’s banner and his concern over it.  I love that there’s a bit of Felix Unger just below the surface of that BAMF pirate.

The slow bleed-out of the other pirate captain.  The release of the captured crew and the recruiting of them to Jack’s team.  The whole Jack story was great.

Is it just me, or are they shooting Vane in an increasingly flattering manner?  I thought he was looking all kinds of hot in this episode and last season I just thought he looked like he smelled bad.

And last but not least, John Silver continues to entertain.  I really loved it when he told Flint that John’s own vote on the captaincy was by no means certain.

THE BAD
Billy’s acting.  How did his crew not see through that? He was clearly lying.  Which, when you think about it, is a complement to Tom Hopper.  It takes a good actor to play someone who is a bad actor.

The hug between Flint and Billy.  Not the most awkward bro-hug ever – Vane and Jack still hold the title for that – but it was right up there.

Max’s bravado.  How the hell does Max think she can protect Anne from the consequences of killing Flint’s crewman (or, for that matter, the consequences of knocking out the teeth of the first captain she approached?)  I rolled my eyes so hard I think I sprained something.

Eleanor’s scheming.  Why on earth does Flint believe her about Vane?  She’s clearly lying. Why would Vane give up his demand for the Man ‘o War?  Vane has no interest in Flint’s plan – can you imagine him farming?  And then there’s Eleanor’s trip to the fort.  What’s that supposed to accomplish?  Does she really think she can walk out of there with Abigail?  Even if Vane IS lost in a deep post-coital nap (and again, EYE. ROLL.) I’m pretty sure his crew will have an opinion about Eleanor trying to leave with their hostage.

THE UGLY
The murder of the Walrus crewman and Charlotte.  That was awful.  I’m really not liking Anne “Loose Cannon” Bonny right now.

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS
More and more there seems to be a rivalry between Flint and Vane that revolves around Eleanor.  I really want to understand where that is coming from.

Why is the captain of the Scarborough targeting Flint?  Do they know who he really is?  He was dishonorably discharged from the Navy 10 years ago but he wasn’t a fugitive.  Is he a wanted man now simply because he’s an infamous pirate or  does this have something to do with the murders he committed – the ones that led to his telling Mrs. Barlow “They’re dead.”

Edited by WatchrTina
(edited)

More and more there seems to be a rivalry between Flint and Vane that revolves around Eleanor.

Where Flint is concerned, I don't think it's about Eleanor herself as much as it is about the control she has over commerce on the island. All business dealings go through her so he needs her on his side to make his plans work. If her father was still in charge, Flint would be trying to win him over just as hard. It's certainly more personal for Vane as I believe he loves Eleanor (well, as much as he can love or understand love).

Of course Eleanor double-crosses Vane. I saw that one coming a mile off. I've been waiting for her to do it since she first made nice with him this season. You should've let Ned Lowe have her, Vane. 

Not buying Max as being able to protect Anne from anything. Also don't care for Crazy Anne. Alas, poor Charlotte The Artistic Prostitute, we barely knew ya.

I love the ambiguity with Billy right now. Can you trust anything he says at this point? Was he lying about Flint not pushing him overboard? Was he being totally honest with Dufrense about the pardons? I love that we're left second guessing pretty much everyone's motives on the show.

Favorite line of the night had to be Jack's response to the other ship being named Goliath. "You named your ship after the greatest disappointment in warfare?"

Edited by Garnett7
  • Love 1
(edited)

On second viewing I took particular note of what Vane said to Eleanor.  He says England isn't really interested in taking control of Nassau because "They know it is inhabited by men like me.  Men who would rather die than submit to being a slave agin."  A "slave"?  Is that hyperbole or did we just learn something new about Vane's past?  I think that might be yet another hint at what his life was like back when he was young and was a member of the crew of the big black-bearded pirate he slew.

Edited by WatchrTina
Where Flint is concerned, I don't think it's about Eleanor herself as much as it is about the control she has over commerce on the island. All business dealings go through her so he needs her on his side to make his plans work. If her father was still in charge, Flint would be trying to win him over just as hard.

I think Flint is fine with Elanor running the island if that means everyone is making money. 

I do give Vane credit for demanding the warship in exchange for the hostage. It gauges how bad does Flint want the girl? Also, you would have to be an idiot to give up the warship. It is pretty much the nuclear weapon of the time, and actually more mobile. Flint's probably better off letting the other guy storm the fort and take/inflict whatever damage happens and see what's next. I'm of the mind that destroying the fort is massively short sighted.

Vane thinks the english can't be bothered taking the island, and the rest think that they will come and take over the island. If the english know this place is making money, they're coming to take it. It would be a siege, and they'd end up winning. 

I was hoping Rackham would out think the other pirate captain, and he did, in a way. That was kind of a cheap way to do it, but eh. He didn't have many options. 

I like how *put upon* Silver always is. Now I have to deal with a double murder. Yes, he ran off to see his sister. Max: What. Silver: *Max*. Max: oooh, yeah. sister. yes. 

I find it a little hard to believe that someone would hand Billy blank pardons. But I do think that there's truth to the fact that there's people looking for Flint. 

I do like how Flint and Miranda were so on the up and up with each other this time. Her argument about being an intermediary with the girl was reasonable, and Flint didn't object. 

I find it a little hard to believe that someone would hand Billy blank pardons.

I'm wondering where those pardons are now.  Billy was looking pretty water-logged when we first saw him.  The people on the beach said they fished him out of the water and he was only semi-consious so I'm sure he was searched.  Paper doesn't do well in water.  Where are the pardons?

(edited)

Max has proven herself very resourceful.  It is nice to see a crafty woman work her way up to such control and money.  And scenes between her and Silver along with scenes between her and Anne always work well.  She really brings out Anne, a very dull character opposite Jack, and makes Anne feel like a real character. 

At this point, Vane is just hilarious.  I really wish the show would stop insulting my intelligence with this Fabio with the Clint Eastwood growl. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 3

LOL Fabio!  That's what Charles Vain reminds me of.

The Captain of the Scarborough was introduced, I believe, in the very first episode.  Flint and Billy went to the home of Eleanor's father and were talking with him when Captain Scarborough burst in and wanted to arrest Eleanor's dad for consorting with pirates.  I think he wound up getting hit over the head and Flint took Eleanor's dad to Miranda's place.

To me the show really illustrates two different ways of thinking.  Flint, Eleanor, Jack Rackham, to an extent Max and maybe even Billy (the snitch), are thinking ahead, thinking of the long term plan, delaying gratification, as M. Scott Peck said in "The Road Less Traveled."  Ann Bonny, Ned Lowe and Vane are the ones who want everything now, now, now, the two year olds who really can't think past the next second.  Vane has the capacity to think ahead and would be real smart if his lizard brain didn't take over all the time.  

Ann Bonny was wrong, wrong, wrong what she did to those two people.  I think she knew it too, which was why she was still in the room; she didn't care if she was found and hung at that point.  Max got right to her soul when she talked to her.  Ann felt abandoned and behaved like a nasty, evil two year old.  

• Love 2

Something interesting to note, in Treasure Island, Long John Silver had a wife of African descent who managed his business interests during the novel. Kinda throws those Max/Silver scenes in a different light. 

• Love 1

Something interesting to note, in Treasure Island, Long John Silver had a wife of African descent who managed his business interests during the novel. Kinda throws those Max/Silver scenes in a different light. 

Very interesting, since Jessica Parker Kennedy (Max) is biracial.

• Love 1
(edited)

Vane ( who I like more and more) is delusional if he thinks that the the Royal Navy can't take Nassau by force if that's what it comes down to.  Vane's history isn't clear so whether he ever served in Navy isn't known but Flint, who did, sure as hell knows it.  There's no way that an "army" of undisciplined pirates could stand up to a large, professional fleet and its firepower.  I kind of think that Flint may be a bit delusional as well if he thinks that Lord Ash will somehow agree to letting Nassau remain out of full British control, or even if he does, being able to convince His Majesty's Government to go along. 

I really enjoy Toby Schmitz portrayal of Jack Rackham.  There's some real flair and wit to it and some of the best and funniest throwaway lines on the show.  As others have said, there were a couple of gems last night.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 3

I had no problem with Max offering Anne protection because it wasn't like she was standing in front of someone like Flint or Vane and telling them what to do.  She wasn't gloating about her influence.  She was telling a woman going through severe emotional and mental distress - someone she empathizes with a lot given the similarities of their experiences, being cast aside by someone they cared about who they thought would have their back - that she wasn't alone.  She didn't say it to prove how badass she is, she said it so Anne would know someone was still on her side, she wasn't being completely abandoned.  And I think she's well aware that she doesn't have that much power, that the only way she can shield Anne is to make sure no one ever knows about it, which is why she so easily gave up the truth to John.  She needed help making sure no one else found out about the murders because that's the only way she can offer protection.  And yeah, I've been wondering since they teamed up early season 1 if Max is John's eventual wife from the book.  Pure speculation, but I could see it.  The way those two scheme?  Together they'd be quite a pair.  

• Love 2

And yeah, I've been wondering since they teamed up early season 1 if Max is John's eventual wife from the book.  Pure speculation, but I could see it.  The way those two scheme?  Together they'd be quite a pair.  

And just think about their parties.  "Hi, we're John and Max.  Welcome to our home and by the way, each of us is willing to bang every man jack and woman among you."

• Love 1

I for one was happy to see Anne get her own pirate on. Sure, it was violent and bad and ill-considered, but on the other hand, it was a sword through some guy's throat! Whoot! I was tired of her being all mopey and drinkey, and it's about time.

Am I alone in being disappointed Flint didn't kiss Billy?

(edited)

I liked the look of total relief on Duchesne when he spotted Billy.

Okay, I'll admit I couldn't help thinking that Billy must have looked at Dufresne and thought "Who the hell are you?"  (New actor playing Dufresne this season.)

I had forgotten that Billy was the quartermaster before Dufresne.  I wonder if the crew will want Billy back in the role.  The crew is different now.  They lost a lot of men in the fight with the Man 'O War and now the crew includes a bunch of Hornigold's men.  I wonder if they know and trust Billy the way his old crew did.  I agree it would be interesting if Dufresne confessed to Billy that he wants out of the job.

[Max] was telling a woman going through severe emotional and mental distress - someone she empathizes with a lot given the similarities of their experiences, being cast aside by someone they cared about who they thought would have their back - that she wasn't alone.

I wanted to like Anne.  I really did.  She's based on a historical figure and I kind of love the idea of a BAMF female pirate. But I'm irritated at the writers for the things they've made her do.  I hated when she callously ruined Jack's name, making him an unwitting coconspirator in a plot to murder eight members of their crew.  She ruined her own name at the same time and that's why Jack's new crew doesn't want her and nor did the crew she applied to join in this episode.  Knocking a guy's teeth out because he won't hire you is not smart or reasonable behavior.  Murdering two people because you're angry and feeling rejected is not reasonable.  That's some Ned Low-level psychotic behavior there.  Furthermore, Jack didn't cast her aside -- he told her he was working on a way to get her back on the crew.  Until then, she isn't going to starve or be homeless.  She's part owner of a brothel (where they probably could have used her skills as an enforcer / security) and she still had the charms of Max to look forward to.  So her reaction was just crazy.  It makes me sad.  I liked Charlotte.  I no longer like Anne.

I for one was happy to see Anne get her own pirate on. Sure, it was violent and bad and ill-considered, but on the other hand, it was a sword through some guy's throat! Whoot! I was tired of her being all mopey and drinkey, and it's about time.

Aaand now she's sitting in the dark in a closet, semi-catatonic, with blood on her face.  How is this a step up from moping and drinking?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

I hated when she callously ruined Jack's name, making him an unwitting coconspirator in a plot to murder eight members of their crew.  She ruined her own name at the same time and that's why Jack's new crew doesn't want her and nor did the crew she applied to join in this episode.

While Anne did some terrible things last night, that action last year wasn't callous.  A woman was being repeatedly raped and beaten.  Anne headed the killing of scum who enjoy beating and raping people.  If Jack gets a bad name because scum feels he was involved in the killing of rapists so be it.  If Anne had not come to Max's help last year, she would have been callous.  By saving Max, she showed her humanity.  And while Jack's name may have been ruined, the show has not shown him as unforgiving of what Anne did.  After all, protecting a victim of rape and assault from more rape and assault is hardly callous.  Even Jack would know deep down that what was happening was wrong and what Anne did was understandable. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked the look of total relief on Duchesne when he spotted Billy.

I adore Billy so when others get emotional over him, I just love them, too. :) I also really liked Billy and Dufrense's friendship last season.

Am I alone in being disappointed Flint didn't kiss Billy?

Nope, totally not alone in that. You have no idea how badly I wanted Flint to give Billy a kiss, even if it was just on the cheek or the head.

But about Bily and his pardons. I feel like there is way, way more to the story than he told Dufrense. Last time we saw Billy, the Scarborough captain was torturing him without mercy and showing no signs of stopping until Billy broke. Then when next we see them, they're having a meal together and the captain is handing over pardons? I feel like Billy broke and told the Navy something. Perhaps something about Flint. I'm not even sure I believe he has that many pardons. It might be a trap all around to lure Flint and his top dogs to the Navy.

I'm not surprised if Flint is one of the Navy's "most wanted". In the promo for next week, Abigail says that Flint is one of the most vicious pirates around so he has made a name for himself. All of Nassau knows who he is and he's feared/respected there. England has heard of him and wants his head. Whether they've made the connection that Captain Flint is really James McGraw will be seen, I guess.

I get Max's logic in offering Anne protection, it's her ability to follow through on that promise that I doubt. She doesn't have that much power to protect anyone from Flint, his crew or the other pirate Captain that Anne assaulted. But it's a brillaint move in endearing herself further to Anne. She's now made Anne feel like she (Max) is the only one who cares and the only one who will be there to have Anne's back. Smart move in further driving a wedge between Jack/Anne and inserting herself in it.

Dohe -- I don't think anyone believes Anne was wrong in saving Max last season, but that it was uncool of her to not give Jack a forewarning to what she was pulling him into. She should've at least told him what she was doing, if only for his own safety. So, if Anne now has to sit on the beach for a bit while Jack reclaims his name (thus by bringing her back in later on) then I don't think it's too much to ask that she do so without brutally murdering people because she's upset.

Edited by Garnett7
  • Love 1
(edited)

Her argument about being an intermediary with the girl was reasonable, and Flint didn't object.

I wonder if the girl really is Lord Ashe's daughter?  How do they know for sure?  Miranda said the girl would know her, it will be interesting to see if she does.  

I may have missed something about it, but I don't know if someone recognized her, or why Lowe was sure it was her.  She was probably on her original ship's passenger list, but this woman may be someone else, claiming to be the daughter to save herself.  

That line of thinking came to me because it seems that for a band of cutthroat pirates, they expect a lot of trust on faith - Flint being sure he can sway Lord Ashe (really, why?  the man hangs pirates), Flint expecting everyone to go with his plans, Flint expecting to have Silver's vote, Eleanor telling Flint to trust her that she could the girl out of the fort, Silver with Max, Vane wanting Eleanor to believe what he does, Billy with his story, etc.  It's interesting to me because I can't tell how it will play out and I can't tell what everyone's true motivations are.  Maybe except for Vane, I think he would rather die than work with England and make Nassau legitimate.  His take on being legitimate is doing things his way, no deals or compromises; it would have been OOC for him not to demand a big concession from Flint to give up the girl.

Anne Bonny's actions were shocking because they came from nowhere, but I'm OK with it in a this is a violent world sort of way (sorry Charlotte) - no reason she shouldn't be as murderous as other pirates.  I had to laugh at the two bodies left dead in the bedroom and Max trying to make up a story.  A partnership between her and Silver would be very interesting.

Really enjoyed Jack's captaincy.  His facial expressions alone are worth the price of admission and the Goliath line was the best of the night.

Edited by raven

I want to see Max and Silver as partners.  I can take Silver better this year; I couldn't stand him last year, his hair was too bouncy and he was too, "yeah, I'm hot."  This year I actually think he IS hot.

I think together Flint and Vane make a good pirate, separately, not so much.  Flint is naive if he thinks Ashe will be on his side if he brings him back his daughter and Vane is naive if he thinks that England couldn't kick their behinds.  They both want the same thing, a free Nassau.  

• Love 1

When you read everyone's take on the various characters in the series, it makes you respect and admire the writers and the show runners more and more.  The world that they have created is populated by interesting, complex, three dimensional human beings, something that can be rare even on cable.  The moves and counter moves every week sure keep us guessing and psychoanalyzing, don't they?

• Love 3

Yeah they do, cali1981.  I get the same vibe when i watch Vikings (though that show doesn't have anywhere as much political intrigue as Black Sails).  in both, the characters may do awful things, some of which are normal for when/where they live, but I have to watch to see what happens next and why they are doing these things.

• Love 2

Loved how happy Rackham looked to be back at sea -- breathing in the salt air and feeling the peace.  The views of those magnificent ships pretty much curl my toes. So beautiful.  The slow resolve cut throat bleeding out fight was great. 

Rackham flushed and in motion is so goodlooking.  I get the need for the weird facial hair but really hate it.  Would rather those be tatoos than facial hair -- or not there at all.  The continuing concern over the black sail artwork is pretty amusing, especially when you consider that the image itself is the most iconic of all pirate pictures. 

Have to give them credit -- I was fully expecting this episode to feel meh after all the emotion, hijinx, and dramatic reveals of the last several episodes.  Instead, it was very tight and well done.  This season is so much better than the first. 

LOVED Hornigold's take-down scolding of Flint -- And want the blue and white ikat top half of Max's outfit.  Gorgeous fabric and a fabulous top. 

• Love 1

Oh Vane. You and your little band of pirates would have no shot against the greatest navy the world ever saw.  Ask people. They'd tell you. Who do you think trained all those badass pirates? It defeated Spain. More than once. They can take you. 

Give up the fort, get a ship and trade with Eleanor in the new Nassau. She'll probably even let you have sex with her. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh Vane. You and your little band of pirates would have no shot against the greatest navy the world ever saw.

Yeah, I'm developing a fondness for Vane, mostly because he's the one character whose motives I think I understand (he's not very complicated) but he's also naive to think that he stands a chance in hell against the British navy once they get serious about taking back the island.  Vane -- the cockeyed optimist -- who'da thunk it?  But in all seriousness, I assume the reason he clings to the notion that no one will be able to take Nassau from the pirates is that he simply has no place to go if that happens.  It's been hinted that he can't read.  It's been hinted that he has lived among pirates since he was very little.  We've seen him fall apart when he was stripped of his ship and crew.  Since he can't imagine himself in any other life I think he simply refuses to believe that the life he leads is genuinely at risk. He's in for rude awakening.  Two of them actually -- he's really going to be pissed when he wakes up and realizes what Eleanor is up to.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3