Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Amelia Shepherd: The Shepherdess

• Start Topic

All that said, the Amanda hate confuses me. I'm guessing that she was on Private Practice (a show that I watched a little but quickly grew bored of and I don't recall her being on the show). Are the memories of PP lingering, perhaps? It doesn't seem to me that this character has had enough screen time on GA to be so hated.

I like Amelia, and liked her on PP.  PP turned into a shit-show by the time Amelia joined the practice and they gave her a ton of addictions baggage, dead-daddy baggage (more than Derek), whirlwind love affair/marriage/OD'd dead husband, and an encephalitic baby that she carried to term so the baby's organs could be harvested instead of just being born dead.  Basically, they gave her a horrible, depressing story line all the way through, so I can see people feeling grim about her.

I'm quite sane, and I like her fine. 

I like Amelia. In part its lingering from Private Practice. She was a large part of why I watched the later seasons. She had depressing/dramatic storylines but was a character I rooted for and wanted to see happy in the end.  When she came for a few episodes in season 10 I was happy to see her again. When they announced she would be a regular I was not.  I was fairly certain how she would be used if she joined full time and so far its played out that way. 

She immediately became a placeholder for Derek and prop for Meredith. She babysat, lived with Meredith and took on cases while Derek was off with the President. When Meredith and Derek decided to move to DC Derek said that Amy could take over his practice without him hovering over her.  Her skills were never questioned by Derek at this point. That made sense to me as they seemed to move beyond that for the most part in season 8 of Grey's.  Then Meredith decided at the last minute not to go to DC,  Derek stayed and Amelia being kind of ruined for me began. Derek was hovering over Amy and trying to shove her out of the way. She dug in her heels and pushed back (imo, neither behavior was out of character for them). She confronted him and they argued. He asked her what he was supposed to do, he has no choice (in the way he was behaving/trying to shove her out) because Meredith changed her mind and backed him into a wall. Then of course Amy had to become the character speaking on behalf of Meredith. She did to Derek and later again to Maggie. 

For anyone that doesn't recall (or didn't watch how the story finished up on Private): Amelia came to Seattle to see Derek about a patient's tumor (someone connected to a doctor at the practice). She had an idea how to remove the tumor but Derek told her it couldn't be done and that if she died Amy could not handle it. It was a surgery that had never been done and she was trying to find ways to do it. Lexie was working with her and went to Derek. Derek didn't believe it could be done, even by him which made Amy more insecure. But, Derek worked with her. Together they were able to figure out how they could accomplish the surgery with both of them working together. They did so and saved the patient. There were some really nice scene between them and they left off in what seemed to be a good place.  It was interesting to watch because how each of them were feeling came through.  It was good to see family history and Derek to actually have a POV/feelings about something.

If Amelia and Derek didn't have that storyline then what is happening now would make more sense for me. I get that she did not appreciate him hovering over her/trying to shove her out but his admission that it was because Meredith backed him into a wall should have clarified to her somewhat that it wasn't about what Derek thinks of her it was about how Derek was feeling after Meredith backed out at the last minute on him (for the second time). How they worked through their past somewhat back in season 8 combined with Derek wanting her to take over his practice and admitting his attitude was due to Meredith should have left her less insecure about being "the other Shepherd".  I can see there always being some of that being the younger sister in the same field as her world renowned older brother. However Amelia has been portrayed as being quite capable and able to perform complicated/never been done surgeries as well. Seems to be in the Shepherd genes. This angsting and refusing to consult others doesn't fit her IMO. 

If Amelia fails and needs to have someone step in a rescue the surgery that won't surprise me. It will fit with her being just a placeholder for Derek. If Derek returns and she loses the head of the department then I want her to leave. They can hire a nanny, Derek can find someone else to yell at when he's pissed at his wife and Maggie can be the sister to date Meredith's soul mate's ex.

Basically I don't think I'll like Amelia as much on Grey's because she's been setup just to fill the spaces left by other characters. No surprise at all. She'll never be a fully explored character as she was on Private.

Edited by windsprints

I only disagree on one thing though, or at least see it differently. Amelia was on purpose snubbing Derek. I think it was on episode 7 where he mentioned that he's been on the bench for weeks or being assigned relatively easy cases. It seems to me that she was also trying to punish Derek for not leaving and therefore making his professional environment also impossible. 

I had forgotten about the S8 surgery but yes, it was a good moment for both. They collaborated and did a great surgery and have a brother/sister moment that gave a better sentiment to all. Perhaps the animosity that she currently has is what has been intoxicating her character lately, at least for me. She shouldn't have to be "the other Shepherd" but she seems to be set on that image. I think that this is what this tumor is for her, leaving that phrase but I don't know why these characters, especially her & Meredith, cannot come to the realization that their careers are not the same. Amelia needs to set her mark somewhere. Maybe this tumor will come with her champagne idea but taking out difficult tumors is Derek's thing as well. Diminishing Derek won't get her to not be the other Shepherd. A medical idea will. 

I was excited for her to come because she and Derek did have a good back & forth that was different from patronizing Nancy and good sister Lizzie. They share a deeper pain none of the other sisters do and Amy, as a character, was very interesting and funny on PP. But they better put her in a story that doesn't involve feeling threatened by her brother's career or Owen's new love interest. This is the first time she's a mentor to someone, right? Why not develop that? 

She'll never be a fully explored character as she was on Private.

To be fair, no one is. Except Meredith but for the obvious reason. But Derek, Alex, Bailey, Richard, etc., we're given pieces of information and expect to have it suck up. PP was more daring in SLs, I have to admit. Charlotte's rape & Amy's relapse, to mention a couple. GA would never dared to do either. They don't have the time or talent to do so. We have now, what, 14 cast members? Even April's baby drama lasted for 2, and that could've been more significant. Derek losing it on S5 was 3 episodes and at the end was about Izzie, not how he felt. Alex's family is a disaster and we only got a mention about how he went to rescue his sister. GA is not a show for character development or daring stories. I'm not surprised at this but at least we got PP to give her a better development. This "after life" they've given her is terrible. GA writers know how to poison the water. 

• Love 5

I really liked Amy on PP, but I'm not feeling her SLs on Grey's. I don't like Owen and I don't want her to deal with his BS or get hurt by him so I hate that storyline. Has Stephanie ever shown an interest in Neuro before this season? I remember Shane/Heather were competing for Derek's attention so it seems weird she is suddenly interested. I feel like Dr. Herman's surgery is more about Arizona than Amelia.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
I only disagree on one thing though, or at least see it differently. Amelia was on purpose snubbing Derek. I think it was on episode 7 where he mentioned that he's been on the bench for weeks or being assigned relatively easy cases. It seems to me that she was also trying to punish Derek for not leaving and therefore making his professional environment also impossible.

We don't disagree. That is what I was referring to when I said she dug in her heels and pushed back. Derek was hovering and trying to push her out so she was giving him the easy cases trying to keep him from doing so.

Diminishing Derek won't get her to not be the other Shepherd. A medical idea will.

I don't think she is at all trying to diminish Derek. I think she is insistent on doing it all herself to prove herself. Not just to herself but to everyone at the hospital. Taking over your famous surgeon brother's practice probably isn't the best, especially at the hospital where his wife, her "people" and her fake daddy all work.

They share a deeper pain none of the other sisters do and Amy, as a character, was very interesting and funny on PP. But they better put her in a story that doesn't involve feeling threatened by her brother's career or Owen's new love interest. This is the first time she's a mentor to someone, right? Why not develop that?

I would have liked that too. I also would have liked to see her and Derek supporting each others career ambitions. 

To be fair, no one is. Except Meredith but for the obvious reason.

I agree. I was speaking of Amelia because its her thread. She certainly is not alone. Look at Alex!

I feel like Dr. Herman's surgery is more about Arizona than Amelia.

I think its about both Arizona and Amelia. Arizona will be proving herself performing the surgery Dr. Herman would have while Amelia is proving herself performing Dr. Herman's surgery. 

• Love 2
We don't disagree.

My mistake. I misread it.

I agree that she has to prove herself in Seattle Grace Mercy Who Knows What The Name Of This Hospital Is Now that will get her to not be the wrong Shepherd, but the Shepherd. I fear she's alienating more as she's seen more reckless than with a plan. It's hard to not compare her to Derek, as they're related and in the same field and she is replacing him, which is why I think she won't screw up and the surgery will be a success. Obviously with Meredith at her side because duh, why not, but I don't really believe she will fail. This show likes to make hero of the one people don't believe in and nobody, other than Stephanie, seemed to believe in her. I don't think Amelia can realistically expect to separate from Derek's aura, sort to speak, but she can change the "wrong Shepherd, other Shepherd" view she has of herself. Maybe you're right and after the surgery she proves herself and leaves that insecurity behind and we can all move on from this and hopefully have her be the character she was on PP and not what she has turned into.

I'm exasperated at her writing because the path they're taking her in is ridiculous. I almost want her to fail as a punishment to the writers, if that makes sense.

I feel like Dr. Herman's surgery is more about Arizona than Amelia.

I wish someone would feel that Dr. Herman's surgery was about Dr. Herman. Amelia wants to prove herself. Arizona needs a mentor, but who wants the woman to stay alive for, you know, saving a life? Anyone?

I wish someone would feel that Dr. Herman's surgery was about Dr. Herman. Amelia wants to prove herself. Arizona needs a mentor, but who wants the woman to stay alive for, you know, saving a life? Anyone?

I guess because this is TV land and Dr. Herman was just introduced in the beginning of the season I don't feel all that invested in her.  I like her friendship with Arizona because Arizona has had very few story lines that don't include Callie in them. Even "the leg" was all about Callie.

Edited by choclatechip45
[snipped]

I'm exasperated at her writing because the path they're taking her in is ridiculous. I almost want her to fail as a punishment to the writers, if that makes sense.ne?

Oh, I don't ALMOST want her to fail, I WANT her to fail. I never watched PP, so my only exposure to this character has been on Grey's. I'll never forget her asking her brother, "Did it hurt?" "Did you feel the bullet, or did you just feel pain?" after he was shot and "You're going to let what's-her-face with the learning disability scrub in?" about Cristina. Totally turned me off of her character, and nothing she's done since has changed my mind. Her benching her brother as some sort of power move was the nail in the coffin.

• Love 5

Oh, I don't ALMOST want her to fail, I WANT her to fail. I never watched PP, so my only exposure to this character has been on Grey's. I'll never forget her asking her brother, "Did it hurt?" "Did you feel the bullet, or did you just feel pain?" after he was shot and "You're going to let what's-her-face with the learning disability scrub in?" about Cristina. Totally turned me off of her character, and nothing she's done since has changed my mind. Her benching her brother as some sort of power move was the nail in the coffin.

She said this about Cristina??!!  I didn´t know this at all.  I knew I was right about this character from the beginning, there is something about her that turns me off. 

What a loser She-Shepherd is. Derek might have his ego moments, but he is much much more human than his sister ever will be.

I also have a feeling Meredith doesn´t like her at all.

Edited by Season5OwenHuntfan

I am neutral on Amelia as a character. I didn't watch PP so I knew nothing about her before she started on Greys and am pretty uninterested in all things Shepherd, so paid very little attention to her previous visit. I like her scenes with Richard, but don't really care about her beyond that.

However, as an (IMO) unneeded addition to an already ridiculously bloated cast, I am none too fond of her (same goes for Maggie). It's possible that I will warm to her at some point, but I have a feeling that she is going to become the new Callie. By that I mean the cast member that the writers fall in love with and shove down our throats. I consider this past episode to be pretty Amelia-centric and the next one will be as well. She got a background episode earlier in the season, and that is more than we have really gotten for others. If the writing and storylines were evenly distributed then maybe her focus wouldn't bug me as much, but it that just isn't the way things work on Greys.

I liked Callie well enough until she started getting episode after episode devoted to her and her point of view, and now I can barely tolerate her. I can totally see the same thing happening with Amelia. I hope not.

• Love 3

I don't mind Amelia, but if she thinks she isn't as smug as Derek then she is blind. Her bravado and arrogance in this episode was at a 10, and because she couldn't put her pride aside and fixated so much on not wanting to be "The Other Shepherd", I won't have sympathy for her if she fails this surgery. 
Also, since next week is billed "Amelia-centric", she's most likely doing the voice over. 

I WANT her to fail. I never watched PP, so my only exposure to this character has been on Grey's.

Which in that case, it makes sense to not like her. What is it with GA writers? I also want to her to fail, so it can be a teachable moment of the fact that grandiosity and arrogance isn't equivalent to invincibility on the OR. But like I said, GA looooves to have the underdog be the hero, so probably won't. And we will endure this attitude longer. How fun.

Does anyone know the age difference between Derek and Amelia? I assume he's older, but is he the oldest of his siblings (all sisters if I recall correctly)?

I don't believe that it has been established on the show the order of siblings but just by appearances, you can tell Derek & Nancy are among the eldest, followed by Lizzie and Amelia is the youngest. No clue where Kathleen falls in the whole family. I always assumed that they had a 10 year difference or so. Amelia knew Addison since she was young (I recall the episode where she gave birth to her baby and Addison explained the whole unicorn thing to Jake, I believe she mentioned Amelia was 11 or 12, and loved unicorns). That's my assumption but hopefully someone can come with a better estimate. 

I also have a feeling Meredith doesn´t like her at all

I don't believe Meredith likes anyone from Derek's family. She tolerates them and got along with Lizzie at the end but I doubt she even acknowledges their existence, despite the fact that they are Derek's family and if something happens to them, the people who will raise their children. But no other family counts, it seems. 

The smug badass whose exterior belies deep emotional scars. Tough one minute, vulnerable the next. Yawn. We've seen it before. And neither show has reconciled these dual personas, making her both inconsistent and unlikable. It hasn't changed. Is it the scripting or the playing? I'd imagine both.

She's not a character in whom I could ever emotionally invest or by whom I could ever be entertained.

• Love 3
(edited)
Does anyone know the age difference between Derek and Amelia? I assume he's older, but is he the oldest of his siblings (all sisters if I recall correctly)? Thanks

Amelia was 5 when her father was killed. In the flashbacks to that day Derek looked (to me) about 12-14 but I don't think it was ever specifically said. I don't know where Derek falls in the birth order.

GA looooves to have the underdog be the hero

I disagree. I don't think there are really any underdogs on GA, at least in terms of being doctors. They're all the best! ever!, world class and top of their field even before they hit the attending stage.

I also want to her to fail, so it can be a teachable moment of the fact that grandiosity and arrogance isn't equivalent to invincibility on the OR.

Bailey, Derek, Burke, Meredith, Callie, Addison, Arizona & Mark have all had the same attitude at points that I can remember (probably others as well). IIRC, most of them did not fail other than Derek.  I don't want Dr. Herman to die but I think Amelia failing at the surgery will be the plot point to bring Derek back.

Edited by windsprints
I don't think there are really any underdogs on GA

I just want to explain what I mean with this: it's not that they're the underdogs (because like you say, this hospital is the hub of the most excellent top surgeons), but the case is. It's this impossible tumor that nobody thinks that Amelia can take out. It's an underdog case and she will excel because the case was impossible and you know the rest. This is why I think Amelia will succeed. 

I think Amelia failing at the surgery will be the plot point to bring Derek back.

I hope not, because that would mean more whining on Amelia's behalf of how she is still the other Shepherd. Although TBH, there's no good plot to bring Derek back with either her or Meredith. But who knows. 

I like Amelia well enough, as long as they don't devote another episode to her pontificating on stage.   I would feel the same about most of the characters doing so.  I don't have a problem with Amelia's out of control ego, in fact I would expect it from Derek's sister.   And I usually take her side because Derek drives me crazy.  He's no better than Meredith about taking Amelia for granted regarding child care.  I like when she butts head with Derek, and it's natural for siblings to be highly competitive.  But I wish they would focus more on why she chose the same specialty as her brother.  Surely it was because she admired him and wanted to be like him.

The only problem I have with her and Owen is this is retread from PP.  I know not everybody who watches Grey's watched PP, but have a little respect for those who did.  After Amelia got clean, she was very awkward with her new guy, James.   It was the first time she had to flirt and socialize without drugs or alcohol, and it was very uncomfortable for her.  But she did it, and they had an adult and healthy relationship.  Now she's back to stuttering and over reacting and acting like a sixteen year old with her first crush. 

• Love 2

I don't believe Meredith likes anyone from Derek's family.

This was true until the episode where Amelia got "outed" as a junkie, and Meredith suddenly took Amelia's side against Derek and immediately blamed Derek for not "fixing it" for her.

After Amelia got clean, she was very awkward with her new guy, James.   It was the first time she had to flirt and socialize without drugs or alcohol, and it was very uncomfortable for her.  But she did it, and they had an adult and healthy relationship.  Now she's back to stuttering and over reacting and acting like a sixteen year old with her first crush.

Shonda constantly does this: these supposedly brilliant female surgeons have to behave like giggling virgins around men. Remember when Cristina and Burke and Meredith and Derek originally got together? Both Cristina and Meredith were all "I don't know how to have a boyfriend, you'll have to teach me..." Then you find out that Cristina lived with her professor while she was at Stanford. What nonsense.

• Love 2
(edited)
Surely it was because she admired him and wanted to be like him.

I always believed it was because of how their father died. They just said he was shot, but in the flashbacks, the shooter had the gun pointed at his head. But that was my assumption. However, I find it hard to believe that any of his sisters has any admiration for him to follow his steps. They seem to always have lack of respect to him (Nancy and Amelia being all team Addison, even if Amelia knew about the affair before her brother did. How nice.).  

To tell you the truth, exploring this story and why she chose the same field would be a better and more interesting story. Siblings have odd bonds. Instead of Meredith + sister of the day, how about these two who have lived their lives together forever and through tragedy?

No, that's interesting so this show wouldn't address it. My bad.

Re: Assuming that GA viewers and PP. To be sort of fair, they've been attempting to include some of Amelia's background in GA. The flashbacks we saw in episode 7, Derek having them this time, Amelia had them. Also the baby story is coming into play, without much detail. Which I'm thankful because that story did make me feel things. So...small steps. Extremely small steps.

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 1

2 weeks passed from the "superhero" episode and Scorsone constantly tweets,reacts and retweets things related to it. Well,well.... One should know when enough is enough.

• Love 1
2 weeks passed from the "superhero" episode and Scorsone constantly tweets,reacts and retweets things related to it. Well,well.... One should know when enough is enough.

Why?  It's her character and it was a big episode for CS. I thought it was ridiculous but that doesn't mean everyone did and much less her, who is paid to portray Amelia. 

Besides, it's her Twitter account. She should be able to tweet and retweet whatever she wants. If she decides never is enough, then unfollow or get used to it. I don't know why this is an issue at all. 

• Love 4

Why?  It's her character and it was a big episode for CS. I thought it was ridiculous but that doesn't mean everyone did and much less her, who is paid to portray Amelia. 

Besides, it's her Twitter account. She should be able to tweet and retweet whatever she wants. If she decides never is enough, then unfollow or get used to it. I don't know why this is an issue at all. 

Agree. Personally I think its nice that any of them take the time to actually interact with fans. Her retweeting pictures fans send her is a nice way of her acknowledging that she sees their tweets and appreciates them taking the time to send to her.

• Love 4
It doesn't come off as aggressive to me, it comes out as childish. With Derek it's the little sister/big brother childish. I haven't seen enough of her and Stephanie together to even see this.

If you have some time, try to rewatch that 1113 scene - it´s scary as hell, the way she shouts and behaves aggressively with Stephanie, it´s not childish  - Stephanie instinctively shudders, you see fear in her eyes, she is scared of Amelia, also in 1112. With Herman athough she speaks to an ill woman,there is so much aggressiveness in her voice - in 1113. Again Amelia shows no sign of compassion for Herman being blind....  Just a few examples....

Derek /Amelia might have childish bickering,but there is  an aggressive attitude or undertone from Amelia towards Derek. One line pops into my mind now and I remembered it because I found it very out of line from her, early on in the season might be 1103   -   she said aggressively to Derek "Bite me!"  

• Love 1
but there is  an aggressive attitude or undertone from Amelia towards Derek. One line pops into my mind now and I remembered it because I found it very out of line from her, early on in the season might be 1103   -   she said aggressively to Derek "Bite me!"

Then I'm horribly aggressive as I tell my brother to "bite me" all the time. He even bought PJs with that phrase.  

She's the little sister. She probably was ignored or left last in things and had to call attention by being loud, especially in such a huge family. I don't find this aggressive at all but just childish. Neither her or Derek can be professional around each other, so this "bite me" just seemed rude rather than aggressive. 

Stephanie instinctively shudders, you see fear in her eyes, she is scared of Amelia,

Didn't see this. Especially with Stephanie fighting back. Stephanie understood that she's losing it and that it wasn't a personal attack.

Again Amelia shows no sign of compassion for Herman being blind

This has nothing to do with being aggressive, just insensitive. She wasn't actively yelling at Herman about being blind or whatever. I never felt that Amelia had any compassion for Herman, just a huge interest in her tumor, but I don't believe she was aggressive here. 

I don't get aggressive from Amelia at all. Impatient, sure, sarcastic, youbetcha! But aggressive? Not to my eyes.

As for Stephanie being afraid of her, you mean physically afraid? Amelia's like 110 pounds soaking wet. She's like a banty hen. And other than one extremely brief argument - where Stephanie gave as good as she got, and Amelia apologized later - they seemed to work as a team and genuinely like each other. I never got the impression that Stephanie wasn't completely excited to work with her.

• Love 2
(edited)

Amelia calls herself "aggressive and intimidating" and that is who she is at least for me, a horrible character who I have hated for a long time, even when I attempted to find some redeeming qualities, there are none,she is insufferable, smug, insensitive, I cannot stand her as much as I dislike the actress who performs her. All the weird grimaces she makes and her weird dull acting. In my opinion, she is a terrible addition to the show and we all know Rhimes just took mercy on the actress who was most likely jobless after PP ended. Let´s call things as they are. And to go from PP to Greys is like a promotion so the actress must be in seventh heaven now.And they made her  a regular after having virtually no arc last season, no substantial scenes, nothing to prove she is worth being on the show acting- wise, just a few bits and pieces here and there, no quality shown,and SUDDENLY she is a regular. Give me a break. Shonda was probably like "what can we do with Amelia (in order to to give Scorsone a job),let me think, ahhh, I have it, who is a single  guy? - Owen,so we´ll put Amelia with Hunt  in S11, bla,bla,bla. 

It was the same with Kim Raver´s Teddy (both on screen and off screen), just the same...  both poor actresses but just because the boss likes them, they landed on the show, no respect for such people. No real talent, but they had favouritism from Rhimes.  

When Rhimes  did not succeed to put Owen with Teddy, because the backlash from Crowen fans  was HUGE in S6,so she didn´t dare to let Hunt sleep with Teddy, but now once Cristina is gone,Rhimes is free to accomplish with Amelia what she wanted  for a long long time with Teddy. 

Easy,easy...

• Love 2
(edited)

To be fair Shonda has used another actor from Private Practice on Scandal. It's pretty obvious if your an actress/actor and Shonda likes you she will use you on as many shows that she can. It's not like she is the first person to ever do that.

I don't really have a problem with Amelia on Grey's I think she makes more sense to bring her to the show than someone like Teddy. If they knew Patrick was going to be gone for half of the season I'm glad they brought Amelia rather than some random character.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
(edited)

To be fair Shonda has used another actor from Private Practice on Scandal. It's pretty obvious if your an actress/actor and Shonda likes you she will use you on as many shows that she can. It's not like she is the first person to ever do that.

I don't really have a problem with Amelia on Grey's I think she makes more sense to bring her to the show than someone like Teddy. If they knew Patrick was going to be gone for half of the season I'm glad they brought Amelia rather than some random character.

I think I didn´t put it clearly what I meant, my mistake  - I meant liked as more of feeling pity sort of for the person -  the show you were in got cancelled and you are jobless now,something along those lines - for Scorsone. Also do I remember right Raver was in some pilot Rhimes did and it was not picked up in 2009??? - hence Rhimes took her on Greys and SOON she became  a regular and Scorsone follows her footsteps. This is what I meant. That even if you don´t have talent, you get into Shondaland, because either the previous show was not picked up or you are jobless now because a show got cancelled,but  you are let´s put it nicely a mediocre actress. JMHO 

I have no problems with actors crossing shows here and there  - IF they are gifted artists and you deserve it,you earn it with your talent, which CS and KR do not. This is my key issue. Unsolvable as it is.  Or shall we assume that superhero pose  was a high calibre performance? Or Teddy in Iraq war zone desert in full make-up?   Forgive me if I laugh. 

I have never bought Teddy being a war veteran cardio surgeon and I will never buy Amelia as a world class neuro surgeon because both actresses lack skills to perform their roles for me to believe them. Just like Luddington with Jo.

• Love 2
(edited)

I know Sarah Drew was on a pilot Shonda was in charge of that was not picked up. I thought Teddy was one of the worst characters that was brought on. I just don't look it as Shonda putting pity on these actors/actresses. I think she is pretty loyal. It's like if you are hiring for a job and hire an ex-employee because you know they have a strong work ethic and you work well with that person. I've always liked Caterina. I think the problem with her on Grey's is that she does not really gel with any of the characters besides Webber/Meredith.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

There are so many actors that have appeared in multiple Shonda shows (guest stars too). There's also writers and crew that have worked on more than one show. I don't view it as pity at all. Shonda (and the rest of the producers) are familiar with the actor/writer/crew, know their ability, work ethic and personality. I don't think its all that uncommon for someone to fill jobs with a qualified person that they have worked with in the past. So, sorry, I don't think Caterina was hired as a charity or pity case. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The problem with Amelia is one that plagues a lot of Shondaland characters: they come off overbearingly smug, have a breakdown, and then reveal the "hidden" vulnerability that lurks underneath. In both cases, the characterizations are extreme, hard to believe, manipulative, and ultimately unlikable. 

Every time I see Amelia, I'm reminded of her faulty origins (i.e. the two-dimensionality which accompanied her initial presentation) and the writers' machinations to make the character "complex". Truth is: she's a hollow vessel -- adaptable to any situation and unworthy of emotional investment. 

For other examples of the smug/vulnerable heroine, see: Catherine Avery, April Kepner, Jo Wilson

For other examples of the hollow/malleable vessel, see: Owen Hunt, Jackson Avery, all of the Season Nine interns

Edited by upperco
  • Love 3
(edited)

The problem with Amelia is one that plagues a lot of Shondaland characters: they come off overbearingly smug, have a breakdown, and then reveal the "hidden" vulnerability that lurks underneath. In both cases, the characterizations are extreme, hard to believe, manipulative, and ultimately unlikable. 

Every time I see Amelia, I'm reminded of her faulty origins (i.e. the two-dimensionality which accompanied her initial presentation) and the writers' machinations to make the character "complex". Truth is: she's a hollow vessel -- adaptable to any situation and unworthy of emotional investment. 

For other examples of the smug/vulnerable heroine, see: Catherine Avery, April Kepner, Jo Wilson

For other examples of the hollow/malleable vessel, see: Owen Hunt, Jackson Avery, all of the Season Nine interns

You are excellent with words, I often fail at what I want to convey, this is so honest truth. I agree with every single word. Thanks for putting it here. Everything is written here in these few paragraphs  - everything true and everything that should be said flat out loud. All these characters are chameleons  - all go with the flow,they have no backbone, all hypocratic people. They are disgusting to me. The result is you refuse to invest in them emotionally because you see these are not honest characters but all are playing  a mind game. I can´t stand EVERY single character you mentioned because all are the same,all have the same qualities I despise - dishonesty and hipocracy. 

Amelia: I don't want to make this all about me.

Me: LIAR!!

Oh.my.God. She is EVERYWHERE! I haven't even watched the episode yet, but I just checked my Twitter feed this morning, and I swear that her mug was practically every other tweet. Not being sent out by fans, but by various Greys outlets. Between that and her name appearing in nearly every episode description, she is definitely the new shiny toy that they are way over exposing. I had very little interest in the episode before and I have none now.

I'll just go ahead and obnoxiously quote myself from earlier in the season to show how well I know Shonda and her minions:

However, as an (IMO) unneeded addition to an already ridiculously bloated cast, I am none too fond of her (same goes for Maggie). It's possible that I will warm to her at some point, but I have a feeling that she is going to become the new Callie. By that I mean the cast member that the writers fall in love with and shove down our throats. I consider this past episode to be pretty Amelia-centric and the next one will be as well. She got a background episode earlier in the season, and that is more than we have really gotten for others. If the writing and storylines were evenly distributed then maybe her focus wouldn't bug me as much, but it that just isn't the way things work on Greys.

• Love 1

I think part of the reason I loathe her so much is that Shonda obviously wants her to be the new Cristina. CS can't pull that off.

My exact thought and I could not loathe her more for that. There is only one Cristina Yang, Amelia is her very bad bad caricature.

• Love 1
(edited)
When Rhimes  did not succeed to put Owen with Teddy, because the backlash from Crowen fans  was HUGE in S6,so she didn´t dare to let Hunt sleep with Teddy, but now once Cristina is gone,Rhimes is free to accomplish with Amelia what she wanted  for a long long time with Teddy.

But let's also admit the difference: Cristina was still in the show when they tried to do the Teddy/Owen pair up, which made obvious sense to have the fans upset. It was a dumb plotline with no purpose. The difference is that Cristina is not here anymore. Crowen died a while ago and they need to move on to the next pairing. As annoying as Owen is, this was the natural course. I don't think the writers are trying to redo Teddy and Owen with Amelia and Owen, though. 

I usually like Amelia when she's a normal human and not "I'm better than anyone" mode, which is annoying. Her talk with Derek was exactly what I wanted from both of them: a collaborative relationship and not the smugness that both bring out of each other when they are at their worst. 

I think the problem with her on Grey's is that she does not really gel with any of the characters besides Webber/Meredith.

Frankly, this applies to many other characters than her. At least she has a bigger connection to the show than say Stephanie, or even Owen. April & Jackson also seem like a distant memory that is required to write but have absolutely zero blend with anyone. I don't find this to be a big problem as much as say how the writers attempt to push her brilliance in the most arrogant manner possible. 

Edited by AnitaM86
  • Love 3
(edited)

I will always hate Amelia, she has destroyed Greys for me,not only because of Owen, I didn´t like her when she came for brief appearances, I didn´t like her in S10 and I hate her in S11. I hate her more than I ever hated Teddy. And the actress is insufferable. If they wanted Derek´s sister, they should have brought Neeve Campbell back. 

• Love 1
I will always hate Amelia, she has destroyed Greys for me,not only because of Owen, I didn´t like her when she came for brief appearances, I didn´t like her in S10 and I hate her in S11. I hate her more than I ever hated Teddy. And the actress is insufferable. If they wanted Derek´s sister, they should have brought Neeve Campbell back.

It's pretty obvious now and that is perfectly fine, as that is your opinion and one that many disagree with. But let's not bash Caterina as all she does is her job and one that she is excited about. You won't find much quorum when it comes to bash them.  

• Love 5
The difference is that Cristina is not here anymore. Crowen died a while ago and they need to move on to the next pairing. As annoying as Owen is, this was the natural course.

I agree. Its no different than Cristina moving on when Burke left, Callie moving on when Hahn left or Alex moving on when Izzie left. On Grey's characters have a better chance of getting some story if they are paired up. Others may have taken longer to move on but this is season 11. I don't think it would be fair to Kevin (who has been on the show since S5) to leave him hanging when there is a chance S12 could be the last. 

• Love 1

I´m voicing my opinion, I´m not looking for any supporters, I could care less who disagrees, she is a terrible actress who Shonda likes for a reason nobody knows, she doesn´t act but overacts in every scene and only makes  some grimaces which is not acting,her character is just as awful as the actress who performs her. End of story for me.

• Love 1
On Grey's characters have a better chance of getting some story if they are paired up.

Which is unfortunate but is the merry-go-round of characters as they rarely get explored on their own. At least Amelia had PP to do that. GA characters? Nada. 

I could care less who disagrees

Clearly. 

• Love 1

I´m voicing my opinion, I´m not looking for any supporters, I could care less who disagrees, she is a terrible actress who Shonda likes for a reason nobody knows, she doesn´t act but overacts in every scene and only makes  some grimaces which is not acting,her character is just as awful as the actress who performs her. End of story for me.

I agree with you. I hated her on PP, and my option, if anything, has lessened during her time at Grey's. I don't find her acting believable, and I think her SLs are poorly written.

• Love 2
(edited)

Sadly, it is all doomed because Amelia is Shonda´s new pet so all the other characters are pushed aside. Even compared with Maggie who entered the show just like Amelia as a new member, Maggie has really had only one line in certain episodes or was totally absent, this has never happened with Amelia.

Talk about double standards. Very very unfair  - for giving a story to  Amelia so many characters have been benched or their story was told very quickly. It´s clear Rhimes has a new favourite.

Word to this. I too really struggle with this character. Part of it for me is the actress, truth be told, but most of it is the writing. I feel like Shondaland has a few tried and true formulas for characters on this show, and this one is the ol' "Prickly/complicated/smug(but brilliant) woman in a position in power who is hiding a deep well of vulnerability and ultimately has issues feeling comfortable in her own skin"...sounds compelling on paper, but it's an old, tired device that has worn out its welcome for me. I'm just not interested in watching another episode where Amelia screams about how brilliant she is and I'm definitely not interested in watching the ick-fest that is Amelia and Owen awkwardly trying or not trying to have a relationship. Gross.

To me, Amelia is pretty much the "Andrea" of this show(and if there are any Walking Dead fans on this thread, you'll know exactly where I'm coming from..).

• Love 1
(edited)

So are we calling her McScreamy? McSpeechy? She seems to do both of these things an awful lot.

or McAwful.

If they wanted a new surgeon, this actress from 1121, the one from the other hospital,the talented surgeon,the actress did such a wonderful job with limited lines,she could have been offered the role instead of Scorsone.

Even in other jobs, it´s so often not the gifted ones but those who kiss sb´ s ass who get the job.