Type keyword(s) to search

Aaron: Carrier of Pictures and Applesauce

• Start Topic

I like the title! I was afraid when I clicked kikismom's link that, after RainOnToosdays's remark, it'd be Rick and the applesauce again.

Book: 

Have they called it the safe zone yet in the show?

Oh crap. Have I done something again?

Surely not. 

That's like me telling you my name before we meet, right? :P If they haven't said it yet, people won't know what the title means, but I really like the title!

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 1
(edited)

I actually think this was, somehow, the best character introduction since the Greenes. They hit every beat just right - his sarcasm, his innate sense of goodness, his sincerity that is just a little slimy so you don't know how much to trust him, his awkwardness, his love and protectiveness toward his partner, his realism without being fatalistic. 

Ross Marquand also did a very good job of playing Aaron as being strong without overplaying it. I really liked the scene where he told Rick that Rick would have to kill him to keep him away from Eric, and you knew he meant it. I thought Ross and Andrew Lincoln worked wonderfully together and I also liked his work with Steven Yeun.

Some part of me worries that this will be a bad thing, because many rough or uneven character intros can lead to long-term strength, so it may be the opposite here, but I was very pleasantly surprised with the casting as well as the writing. They could have easily just played him as a generic smiler to fake us out about Alexandria, or they could have just said, "He's gay," and not bothered with any actual characterization. Instead they made a real effort.

I also loved his line about how he'd made it sound like he was making them audition for a dance troupe. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

You know, I didn't like him in The Distance (and I guess we maybe weren't really supposed to at first), but I warmed up to him a lot in Remember. When he tells the gate guy that "it's ok" and to let them in (even as Daryl is carrying dinner), and then when he shows them the houses and says they don't actually have phones. I think there was a bit of care-taking of them, and then some humility.

I know Aaron is probably nefarious or whatever, but he's made me interested in a Daryl storyline for the first time since season 2. I love that he and Eric are quasi-parental figures to Daryl (or an OT3, if we delve into crackfic as much as this episode did for other characters who shall remain nameless...). Ross Marquand has such easy chemistry with most of the other actors. He was just terrific casting. Aaron has the potential to go in so many directions. I hope they will do it right. I also hope he gets to keep the bit of showmanship and edge and awareness he has now and not just get worn down.

• Love 2

I don't think Aaron is nefarious at all. I think he is a genuinely good person. It seems he still feels a bit of an outsider in ASZ, so Daryl can relate to that. And he may just end up becoming closer to members of CDB than the ASZhats. I mean, the ZA is the great equalizer. But the people inside there haven't really experienced much of that. Our troop has. So, if any of them DID have issues with homsexuals beforehand, they sure as shit don't know. Aint nobody got time for that! But these maroons who are hosting cocktail parties and swapping cookie recipes are a lot more likely to hold onto their conventions, and make Aaron and Eric feel like outsiders. I mean, why didn't they go to the party? Just because Eric has a broken ankle? He couldn't have hobbled over there and been propped up on a couch all night? No, I think they just really feel more comfortable alone. So yea, I could see a bit of a division - with these guys becoming more friendly and loyal to CDB than the ASZhats. Could get interesting. I'd like to see Aaron, at least, become a long-term member of this group and this show. 

• Love 3

Great idea about trying to corner Daryl out in a more private setting, to recruit a new recruiter... oh wait, I'm sorry, I forgot;  he was "hunting rabbits" and just happened to come across Daryl.

And if that doesn't work, spaghetti and a motorcycle gets 'em every time.

Great idea about trying to corner Daryl out in a more private setting, to recruit a new recruiter... oh wait, I'm sorry, I forgot;  he was "hunting rabbits" and just happened to come across Daryl.

And if that doesn't work, spaghetti and a motorcycle gets 'em every time.

Ross Marquand said on Talking Dead that Aaron was lying about the rabbits. He was out there to talk to Daryl—and we know from The Walking Dead that Aaron discussed it ahead of time with Eric.

And Daryl must've known something was up—Aaron's gun was way too big for rabbiting.

• Love 1

Ross Marquand said on Talking Dead that Aaron was lying about the rabbits. He was out there to talk to Daryl—and we know from The Walking Dead that Aaron discussed it ahead of time with Eric.

And Daryl must've known something was up—Aaron's gun was way too big for rabbiting.

Sorry.  I was actually just being really sarcastic, while poking fun at what happened on the show & then talked about on Talking Dead.  The "hunting rabbits" was said jokingly like Kevin Smith did.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who misreads this thread title as "Aaron: Carrier Pigeon"?

I'm forever wondering "who's the new Hershel?" (Aka "the new new Dale.") Aaron's keeping spaghetti Tuesdays alive. And he had some good advice for Daryl.

• Love 6
(edited)

Daryl must've known something was up—Aaron's gun was way too big for rabbiting.

What a great statement!

("Are you hunting rabbits or are you just happy to see me?")

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

Am I the only one who misreads this thread title as "Aaron: Carrier Pigeon"?

I'm forever wondering "who's the new Hershel?" (Aka "the new new Dale.") Aaron's keeping spaghetti Tuesdays alive. And he had some good advice for Daryl.

Not only that, but he (they, ie ASZ)  had an RV, too.  And he seems to have a strong need to make everyone comfortable and keep them upbeat, while maintaining a strong sense of morality and knowing what's right for the good of all.   Its like Dale reborn!

• Love 2

When Aaron starts hectoring everyone I'll call him Dale. 

And he looks much hotter (/shallow).

Anyway, this is a nice interview with Ross Marquand. From the start I've thought of Aaron as the ultimate Boy Scout (although they would probably hate that idea, him being one of those homosexuals and all), and it turns out Ross was a Boy Scout.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/walking-deads-ross-marquand-talks-fan-reaction-daryl-and-aaron-and-impress-me_article_105415

• Love 2

Not only that, but he (they, ie ASZ)  had an RV, too.  And he seems to have a strong need to make everyone comfortable and keep them upbeat, while maintaining a strong sense of morality and knowing what's right for the good of all.   Its like Dale reborn!

tumblr_inline_nkxeo9vbeL1rnhesm.gifaaron-1-1424083749.gif

• Love 5

Couldn't he have found a way to get himself stupidly killed without putting Glenn on his mom's shit list?

Bad douche bag! No bullet for you! Bad, bad douche bag!

Don't you mean Aiden?  Aaron rolled out with Daryl at the beginning of the episode.

• Love 1

No worries.  :)

Nah, I'm not seeing Dale in Aaron.  Dale was pushy and stuck his nose in everyone's business.  Aaron only spied on people for professional necessity and seems like a likeable guy.

• Love 1

Aaron's got water.

Aaron's got pictures.

Aaron's got applesauce.

Aaron's got spaghetti.

Aaron's got a motorcycle kit.

Aaron's got a pretty pony to show Daryl. 

Aaron's either a MacGuyver hero in the making or he's a candy bar away from luring Daryl into a van. 

• Love 7

Aaron's got water.

Aaron's got pictures.

Aaron's got applesauce.

Aaron's got spaghetti.

Aaron's got a motorcycle kit.

Aaron's got a pretty pony to show Daryl. 

Aaron's either a MacGuyver hero in the making or he's a candy bar away from luring Daryl into a van.

Hey Mods - Any way I could add, like, eighteen more Likes to this post?

• Love 2

I have had the weirdest maternal feelings about Aaron since his introduction, even though I think I'm about the same age as he's supposed to be.  There's something about his geuninely kind and helpful nature, his protectiveness of Eric, Ross Marquand's sweet appearance, and the way our group was so (somewhat understandably) nasty to him that makes me just want to give Aaron a big hug and cry-scream at everyone to leave him alone because he's such a nice young man! 

I have no idea what's planned for Aaron in the next season, but whatever happens I hope our group adopts him as "one of us."

• Love 1