Type keyword(s) to search

S20: Noah Galloway: Army Strong

• Start Topic

Regarding Noah, nobody has to be at fault if terrible PTSD is present.

I don't have any other reason for not wanting him the finale except for the fact that he reached his limitations weeks ago and has been heinously overscored when it probably wasn't necessary because he's always had a natural voting block.  Which is why I hated the proposal, and it didn't matter if it was his first or his tenth marriage to me.

• Love 6
(edited)

From the results show thread, re: Noah's first ex-wife:

Doesn't mean she had a right to leave him.

What? Of course she had a right. A person should not be forced to stay in a marriage they no longer wish to be in. But then again, I've never really clutched my pearls at the rise of no-fault divorces, either. Sometimes relationships just don't work out for complicated reasons that don't have any clear villains or heroes. I'd rather people get divorced than stay in loveless marriages, regardless of why the love was lost in the first place. 

Sounds like she didn't help him at all.

Where are you getting that from? The paragraph that wings707 posted? Because it doesn't say or imply anything of the sort. For all we know, the ex-wife did try to help but ended up not being able to handle it. And who knows how awful Noah might have been to her during his nadir? And no, we don't have any proof that Noah was awful to her, either, but that's my entire point: We don't know what the hell went down, so characterizing Noah's ex as this callous woman who ditched Noah as soon as he was injured seems like an uncharitably presumptuous interpretation. 

Anyway, I'm rooting against Noah, not because of his dancing, but because public proposals are a major pet peeve of mine. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 15

From the results show thread, re: Noah's first ex-wife:

What? Of course she had a right. A person should not be forced to stay in a marriage they no longer wish to be in.

Where are you getting that from? The paragraph that wings707 posted? Because it doesn't say or imply anything of the sort. For all we know, the ex-wife did try to help but ended up not being able to handle it. And who knows how awful Noah might have been to her during his nadir? And no, we don't have any proof that Noah was awful to her, either, but that's my entire point: We don't know what the hell went down, so characterizing Noah's ex as this callous, evil woman who ditched Noah as soon as he was injured seems like an awfully uncharitably presumptuous interpretation. 

Thundering applause!  

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm sorry but I don't believe in leaving someone as soon as it gets rough. He needed her and she left. His own website admits he was depressed and turned to drugs. So he is admitting he didn't handle it well. I can't imagine what he went through. I bet it was tough for her, but she moved on because she couldn't handle it. He didn't really have that luxury (except the ultimate out).

I haven't seen anything to make me dislike Noah. I didn't think it was a temper tantrum when he was upset about the package that he thought made his partner look bad and I don't have a problem with his proposal.

If you feel so strongly about it, maybe you should have voted. Or vote now. Or find another show where the dancers are judged solely on their dancing and presentation and not watched (and apparently voted on) by people who like veterans.

Edited by Runningwild

I'm sorry but I don't believe in leaving someone as soon as it gets rough. He needed her and she left.

Where is your evidence of this?  That she left, I think that's incredibly presumptuous.

And specifically it's no knock on Noah either.  If you're a fan of Noah because of his service and his sacrifice you should understand the incredible emotional damage that so many veterans of the debacle in Iraq specifically suffer - over a lie mostly because they are so isolated and it was such a worthless and meaningless unmitigated disaster, whether they suffered from physical injuries or not.  PTSD from this is the worst in history, PTSD is ugly and terrible, maybe you could read this article to understand it and the difficulty it presents in maintaining relationships.  We don't know who left whom.

I said this yesterday after I got over my anger about the proposal - maybe it actually is Noah that has been manipulated and exploited in all of this.  But I'm not ready to start taking aim at his ex-spouses either.  I feel terrible for him, but I am conflicted because true heroes that would invoke patriot honor usually are heroes for defending something that actually matters.  Iraq, wasn't that.

• Love 4

How do you know either of his wives were the ones who left? What makes you think you know why? We don't know anything about these marriages, and we've got no basis to assign blame. Noah's been married twice - maybe he just isn't very good at it.

• Love 7

I wonder how he will feel also. Or how he feels already at this point. He has to realize that he is not dancing. He is walking around. He must see how much more the others are doing while he stands still and maybe moves his arm in the air. He can't possible think that's equal. Although he did say last week or the week before "I could win this" so I guess he's delusional.

The judges have said that well he can't do everything so we are looking at what he CAN do. Okay so why isn't everyone judged that way? Everyone obviously has a limit as to what their bodies can do. Robert for example was losing points when he messed up his feet or whatever. Well where was the "hey we know you can't move your feet perfectly to the steps so we are only looking at the steps you did do!!!"? If everyone is just being scored on their own personal ability/limitations then why have a show?

• Love 8
(edited)

How do you know they didn't? No basis to assign blame on either side. Or any basis to say it was a loveless marriage. Do we know she didn't walk out because it was too tough?

And saying someone who served in Iraq isn't a hero or a patriot? Wow. Just wow.

I'm out of this. I'm just going to watch the show and be happy with fhe results. Even if Noah doesn't win, he's come a long way and inspired so many.

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 1

Doesn't mean she had a right to leave him. Or did she not vow 'in sickness and in health'? Sounds like she didn't help him at all.

She did have the right to leave him.  Vows are not laws.  

And saying someone who served in Iraq isn't a hero or a patriot? Wow. Just wow.

I think I said that I'm conflicted.  Yup that's what I said, and for a complicated not straight forward simple reason - which also leads to how prevalent PTSD is with this war, a lot of the veterans of Iraq don't feel that way and feel conflicted as well.

• Love 4
(edited)

According to Google, Noah has only been married once before; this will be his second marriage, not third. He does, however, have three children from his previous marriage.

The current People Magazine issue has an article on Noah, where they have interview quotes from his two ex-wives. He does have 3 children...I believe 1 from his first marriage and 2 from the second.

ETA: I see several people already addressed this. Sorry for the redundancy!

Edited by calipiano81
How do you know they didn't? No basis to assign blame on either side.

Right, which is why I'm puzzled that you immediately leaped to the assumption that the woman must have cruelly left poor innocent Noah in the dust. There is absolutely nothing in Noah's little bio snippet to cast blame on his ex-wife; yes, he acknowledges his shortcomings in that bio, but it's nothing more than a glimpse, a snapshot serving as part of the inspiring life story that is Noah Galloway. It's hardly a comprehensive take on what he was like back then. 

We don't know how much the ex-wife tried. Sometimes vets suffering from PTSD can become abusive. We are not obligated to endure abuse even if the abuser in question is a war hero. Should a wife try to stick by her husband and vice versa? Yes, I think so. But they are not obligated to completely sacrifice their own mental health and welfare. 

And once again, to reiterate, I'm not actually assuming that Noah was indeed abusive. That's my point. Maybe the ex-wife was a shallow [expletive] who couldn't fathom being married to someone who was (ew) disabled. Or maybe Noah lashed out and veered on being abusive. We simply don't know. Which is why I'm uncomfortable with casting aspersions on an ex-wife we've never even seen. I'm comfortable not blaming either of them for the dissolution of their marriage. 

• Love 7

Regardless of the circumstances of how his first two marriages ended, I think it's extremely tacky to make a big public proposal for one's third marriage. I'm not a fan of big public proposals ever, but it rings especially insincere from someone who's already been married not once but twice (and isn't even 35 yet).

• Love 6

I don't think it really needs to be said, but if he wins, he will go down as the worst winner so far and even if this show runs 20 more seasons, will likely stay the worst winner.

As much as I can't stand Riker, i'd rather him win over Noah, even though I'm Team Rumer now that Nastia is gone.

• Love 1

I don't think it really needs to be said, but if he wins, he will go down as the worst winner so far and even if this show runs 20 more seasons, will likely stay the worst winner.

As much as I can't stand Riker, i'd rather him win over Noah, even though I'm Team Rumer now that Nastia is gone.

I agree. Noah definitely has a lot of guts, and I'm sure he tried hard to do the moves the way Sharna told him to. But, disability aside, did he ever seem to feel the music and the dance?

For me, disability aside, he has shown the least musicality of anyone in F3, ever.

And I -do- think the (third-time marriage) on-air proposal was just a Hail Mary pass to gain votes and get into the finals. Sorry, but I can't respect that. Even if he didn't intend it that way, he's smart enough, surely, to predict that would be the effect. No hurry, so why time it -that- night (risking impacting Riker's dance/mood of crowd for him, etc.), rather than the following one when it would have been a nice moment regardless of whether he stayed or went?

I found it very calculating, and from the producers, too, who okayed it.

• Love 6

TPTB knew the effect it would have, just like when they allowed the moment in Week 2 when his gf surprised him on air; guaranteed vote bait.

He is a smart man, he had to know, in the back of his mind, the proposal would steal headlines and gain many, many votes, and poor Nastia suffered from it.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't assume that because someone makes a sacrifice in the army that they're some kind of larger than life hero.  The way this show has built Noah up you'd think he was the second coming or something.  I personally don't care for him and I'm not guilted into feeling bad about that just because he's a war hero and has a disability.  He most certainly has faults like anyone else and yes, he may even be a dysfunctional abusive bastard for all we know.  I'm not saying that he is because I have no idea but the point is he's just a guy.  A lot of people make sacrifices for this country and are generally all around bastards in every other way.  Again, not saying that Noah is a bastard, just saying he's likely not as perfect as he's being made out to be.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

I know the show usually does random nonsense, but I really feel that establishing some kind of criteria for how Noah would be judged, giving some kind of explanation to the audience might have helped. They had to have known that he'll go far. A lot of dance professionals have said that what he does is very difficult, because of the severe balance issues, shifting weight etc. has to be totally adjusted for him. And I believe them since I have no knowledge in the matter and it does look challenging, so I've no problem that the scoring takes that into consideration.

Going down and giving him 5s, 6s also would be counterproductive in the sense that it would only enrage people on his behalf and make them vote even harder. But it has to be possible to establish in some way that Riker and Rumer are just much better dancers and are doing a lot more of the required content (though of course that is not Noah's fault). That's what the judges are for, at least in theory. Then the public can make it up in votes if they want to. But in the semifinals he had practically the same scores as the three others. I don't see why they couldn't have given him 8s or something?

• Love 3

I know the show usually does random nonsense, but I really feel that establishing some kind of criteria for how Noah would be judged, giving some kind of explanation to the audience might have helped. They had to have known that he'll go far. A lot of dance professionals have said that what he does is very difficult, because of the severe balance issues, shifting weight etc. has to be totally adjusted for him. And I believe them since I have no knowledge in the matter and it does look challenging, so I've no problem that the scoring takes that into consideration.

This is a very good point. If only! It also bothers me that at the beginning of both Amy's season and Noah's, the judges blather on and on about how they are going to judge them the same as everyone else (after all, to not do so is both pandering and patronizing), then proceed to go ahead and do exactly the opposite. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Speaking of the balance issues and whatnot, Noah did an interview after the finale where he said the best thing that came out of this is that because of how Sharna taught him to use his core and distribute his weight more efficiently, he's found it easier and less painful to walk. That goes for both of his legs, apparently.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 3