Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

AwesomO4000  your non-driver experience is reassuring. Neither of my two have done anything towards learning to drive (I funded one course for the eldest~the company eventually just gave me the money back as he never booked anything).  Now, walking/biking are less practical alternatives for about 9 months of the year here, but transit has been workable so far.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm eyeing a Prius or Elantra, something that gets better mileage.

I was salivating over the Prius C the other day. But tbh, I have a little eight-year-old Scion xD, and the mileage is already fairly comparable -- at least for highway. Which takes a little bit of the shine off of the Prius C imo. I don't really understand why the mileage estimate for the Prius is lower for highway driving v. city driving, though? City driving seems like it eats up gas so much faster?

What I would REALLY get, if I could get ANY car, is a Porsche. That's probably kind of a "dated," stodgy choice but those things are GORGEOUS. I mean, just look at this!

fNy40Ob.jpg?1

I still remember the first time I saw one -- my dad and I were in a parking lot when I was about nine years old, and this bright red Porsche came cruising right up next to us. Took my breath away. I had to make sure and remember the name of that car so that I could look it up later. But a Porsche will nearly always take my breath away. Just the other night, I was walking back to my car from work, and this silver/grey Porsche pulls up right in front of me to drop off some woman at her house (this is in a city, so the house itself was one of those multi-million-dollar town houses right on the street, so they had to drop her at the curb). My fool self had to consciously remember to keep moving, because otherwise, I would have just stood there staring at the car. One day, I want to go out to Utah or Nevada and rent one just to try driving one around on some flat, empty desert roads.

When we dated in college, he had the car he came with... this dark brown Chevy Nova with a sagging roof liner with air conditioning that wouldn't work and a power window that wouldn't go down on his side - in Florida. I used to stick my arm on the open window ledge and the other across the seat back to direct the wind from the open window over to hubby. Not surprisingly that car was called the "Brown turd."

No offense, but sounds like Turd was a good name for that car! The thing that makes me a teeny tiny bit EHHHH even about Baby on the show is because my parents' car when I was a kid (the Ford Festiva), also didn't have AC and the windows in the backseat didn't open -- and imo, it was HORRIBLE. It was a SAUNA back there for most of the year. So when I see someone trying to wedge him/herself into Baby's backseat on the show, I tend to imagine kid!Sam or kid!Dean stuck in the backseat on an all-day drive, sweating his ass off and hating life, and feel sorry for them!

Anyway, one time we were driving up to NY (from DC) in the summertime, and I remember just laying stretched out as much as I could in the backseat, trying to move as little as possible, because I felt like an ant under a magnifying glass. That was when I decided that I officially hated that the car was a two-door with no AC, and that I never wanted to go on a long summer trip in it again (though of course I had to, I was a kid and didn't have much say in those decisions!). Oh, and I was like six and wearing those gigantic novelty sunglasses with the idea that they'd block the sun somehow. Remember those?

CmRt4WX.jpg

Last year, I started getting interested in the idea of riding a motorcycle, but then I found out that mopeds with an engine under 49cc could park anywhere for free -- they can even park right on the sidewalk, like a bicycle. So then I got interested in riding a moped instead of a motorcycle. But those tiny little moped tires seem really unstable/dangerous -- what happens when you go over a pothole? So then I found out about this company that makes modification kits for bicycles -- you can make your bicycle into a moped with their kits (and thus have a moped with big tires). So then I bought a kit and a bicycle, and planned to do it. But there are two major issues with that -- the bicycle is so cute and nice, I kind of don't want to "ruin" it by loading it down with an engine and stuff! And I'm not at all mechanical and don't really know that I understand how to build a moped, even from a kit. So the kit is still sitting right here in a big cardboard box, and my bicycle is under a tarp. But last night I found out I've lost my free parking at work, so maybe I'll get that together next week. Kind of daunting, tbh. (Also, the engine is a two-stroke, and I'm kind of worried about showing up at work stinking of gasoline and oil, lol).

Edited by rue721

I was salivating over the Prius C the other day. But tbh, I have a little eight-year-old Scion xD, and the mileage is already fairly comparable -- at least for highway. Which takes a little bit of the shine off of the Prius C imo. I don't really understand why the mileage estimate for the Prius is lower for highway driving v. city driving, though? City driving seems like it eats up gas so much faster?

That's when the car is running off the battery. At higher speeds, the vehicle needs more power than the electric part of the car can provide. The electric part of the car only works well for speeds under 20 mph. That might be outdated now though, I live in a rural area and could never get in my driveway in the winter with a Prius, so haven't really paid attention to them in years.

• Love 2

As I understand it, in a city, the Prius mostly depends on the electric motor, whereas on a highway, you're going to need to use more gas accelerating. I wonder what type of highway driving they simulate, though; my stretch is pretty straightforward and there's hardly any traffic.

Sports cars...I had a friend in my early twenties who was a sucker for Fiat convertibles. And since Fiat stands for "fix it again, Tony", she spent a lot of time at the mechanic's getting it fixed. So much so that she ended up having an affair with him...oh, the drama!

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm hijacking this thread! I just have to brag, because today I defeated the impossible odds! I did the inconceivable, in fact the impossible odds where crushed to hell!. I talked my husband into REPLACING HIS RECLINER! Did you all hear that? DID YOU?

I ventured the idea a few weeks ago, and he acted like I had asked him to put down his favorite dog! But I was unrelenting. His old recliner was well, old,and dirty, resisting all attempts to clean. So I did all the scout work. Went to every damn furniture store in the neighborhood. Some further afield. Found one I know he would love! I almost fell asleep in it trying it out! So I grabbed him by the nape of his neck (I kid you not!) and took Mick to see it. He loved it! And they delivered it today! They even took the old one away (hopefully to a hazardous waste site!) I am so happy! And Mick? He was thrilled with it! I'm so damn happy!

Okay, back to the original conversation! Sorry guys, but I had to crow and I knew you guys would understand!

I'm getting cards to send my friends!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 8
(edited)

AwesomO4000  your non-driver experience is reassuring. Neither of my two have done anything towards learning to drive (I funded one course for the eldest~the company eventually just gave me the money back as he never booked anything).  Now, walking/biking are less practical alternatives for about 9 months of the year here, but transit has been workable so far.

The biking was mostly in Florida when I was in college at UF. That's a very bike friendly town. No biking for me in Indiana: you'd get run over, but public transport was so easy and cheap, I didn't even think about driving at all. Why pay for a second car when you can get anywhere in the two city area (West Lafayette and Lafayette) until about 9:00 or 10.00 PM almost any day of the week (buses also ran on Sunday, until about 7 PM) with a bus every 20 -30 minutes for $0.50 a trip including transfers if needed (a total of $1.00 round trip)? Gas would cost more, never mind the cost of a whole second car plus insurance and the cost of a parking spot on campus. I don't have kids, so it was just me. I got to work in the afternoons just fine (I had two part time jobs for the University. One I did at home, the other on campus), plus I got to go shopping and antiquing anywhere I wanted in the off time, no traffic hassle. Sometimes I'd get off on an earlier stop to walk the rest of the way home - I could get highly discounted delicious bagels after 5 PM plus pick apples or blackberries along the road on the way home (apple trees grew all over there - even in the parking lots. Beautiful, free apples all over the place. The stores would be happy if you picked them instead of them falling in the parking lot).

I grocery shopped with a two wheel metal cart which I'd take with me on the bus and get anything I wanted home in it. I even gardened via bus! I rented a plot from the student housing section on campus and I'd go shopping for humus and mulch in the cart and just get off there to deliver it. I'd visit 2 or 3 times a week and haul home my harvest in the cart (I grew the most amazing vegetables in Indiana). I didn't have to buy much produce, except stuff like lettuce, frozen peas, and carrots (for some reason, I couldn't grow carrots to save my life). I'd freeze the excess veggies for the winter or put up the winter squash. We had a second freezer for it and the deer meat. We still used to give the zucchini away - the joke was never leave your car windows open in Indiana in late summer/early fall, or you'd come back to find someone had dumped zucchini in your back seat - heh. I had a whole small cookbook of just zucchini recipes.

So yeah, I didn't feel the need to drive at all.

And hee, Mick Lady... my hubby actually doesn't use his recliner much. He's all about his couch where he can spread out his work stuff. He does work e-mails and nit-picky work stuff for a couple of hours each night. Few people get how demanding many academic jobs actually are. The pay and tenure are great, but he puts in 60+ hours a week minimum. I have my own loveseat at a 90 degree angle to his couch with a square coffee table in the corner between. That poor couch - we have a work trip coming up this week where we'll be gone for a few days. Mom is going to try to re-cover the cushions while we're gone.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 2

The family car that we drove everywhere with a family of 6, the banna wagon.  the Volkswagen Bus, it was orange yellow.  The little ones slept in the back, and I didn't have to fight for elbow room like we did with the other car.  Don't really remember what it was.  Plus we got an air vent that gave us air and in Texas that is a good thing.

My learning to drive is a downer, guess I won't ever win the optimistic award.

I was learning how to drive the bus, had to learn how to drive a stick shift.  So I was almost ready to take my test, when my mom gets into an accident.  She is okay but the bus is smashed and so it goes to be repaired.

So now I start learning how to drive my brother's beetle.  It was bright yellow.  Just about ready to go take the test when my brother gets in a wreck and so now it's out of commission. 

So I go back to learning on the bus, as it's finally ready when my sister gets hit by a car.  Yes, I saw it.  Anyway, I gave up.  I finally took the test around my 18th birthday after almost 2 years of trying.  So unlike my brother I didn't get it early but luckily I had someone to drive me if I needed to go someplace.

My sister survived and married with a kid old enough to go to college.    For some reason I can really relate to Dean...can't imagine why????  :)

Thanks everyone! I called my sister to tell her the news,and believe me only something of this monumental importance would make me call her this late (she's two hours ahead of us). She was very happy for me, but her wife Lisa grabbed the phone from her and said "You mean you didn't call The Smithsonian? They'd want that chair!

Hee. I love my family!

• Love 6

STILL?! Why does this sound like you and your daughter have some experience in the matter? Fess up! Unless of course, the statute of limitations hasn't run out.

Ask me no questions, I tell you no lies.

• Love 2

AwesomO4000 $0.50 ?  Seriously, seriously?  We could only wish.  it's $3.15 per trip here and you are limited to a 90 minute window.  If your trip takes longer, you have to get a second ticket.  I kid you not.  And yes it is possible to take more than 90 minutes.  This city is really spread out and some areas aren't all that accessible (often transit will route you through downtown~PITA). 

For school and work the transit is fine, but if either of my two want to visit other family members or friends, guess who plays taxi?  Of course, mine don't have to worry about getting groceries home (except for the occasional carton of milk or tea or the like).  And it's a good thing, 'cause I can't imagine anyone getting 2 (or more) 20 kg boxes of cat litter home on the bus ;D

AwesomO4000 $0.50 ?  Seriously, seriously?

Now granted that was about 15 years ago, but still, I can't imagine the rates going up that much. It was $0.75 if you paid cash, but I bought bus tokens and those were $10.00 for 20 tokens. Transfers were free.

Just for fun I checked their site to see if things had changed... not only do they have environmentally friendly hybrid buses now (with compressed natural gas ones potentially coming soon) they have one route that goes from downtown Lafayette to campus that's always free to anyone. (And they provide free 50 minute guided tours around the town twice on Saturdays from May to September). And a roll of ten tokens is $7.50, meaning a token has increased a whopping $0.25 a ride in 15 years. Of course, if you get a 31 day bus pass you get unlimited rides for $28.00 (or less than $1.00 a day). Day passes are $2.00. Kids to grade 6 ride free to school (and potentially everywhere - I couldn't quite tell). For grades above 6, they can get a school bus pass (with proof of enrollment) for $2.00 a school year. Purdue students, faculty, and staff now ride free also. They also have free game day buses from free parking areas to the game and back.

So yeah, it's still ridiculously cheap to ride the bus there, and it covers both cities with about 21 regular routes (about a half dozen of those are public school-centric, but also cover the areas in between) and 9 campus routes. And at least one of those campus routes goes from downtown to specific residence halls on campus until 1:55 AM - no excuse for drunk driving. The route I used to take to our apartment is now one of the late night routes - as is the route including the movie theater.

When I rode there would be scheduled stops, but you could also pull the cord to make it "ding" and they'd let you off at the next safe stop area (as in not in heavy traffic). That's how I'd get let off at the campus garden. Certain buses had bike things that you could put your bike on the front of the bus - if you were brave enough to try to ride it that is. They now even have a free trolley route that takes you to local art galleries, shops, theaters, museums, art and craft classes, art supply places, and local art venues. According to the site, they even have apps, so you can see where on the route the bus is in real time. Or you can get text or e-mail alerts.

According to the site, people use the bus system for about 5 million rides a year (about 13,500+ rider trips a day: which wow if that's accurate) - so definitely well used. I really miss that about the Purdue University area... the weather not so much.

AwesomO4000 $0.50 ?  Seriously, seriously?  We could only wish.  it's $3.15 per trip here and you are limited to a 90 minute window.  If your trip takes longer, you have to get a second ticket.  I kid you not.  And yes it is possible to take more than 90 minutes.  This city is really spread out and some areas aren't all that accessible (often transit will route you through downtown~PITA). 

Wow.  When I lived in Germany, it was that much for a day pass.  Unlimited rides, all day.  Germans would be rioting if they got charged that for every single ride.

When I lived in Portland (Oregon), I used public transportation almost exclusively, even though I had a little car. My car really only got a workout if I had to haul something that was difficult to get on a bus or I was leaving town. Public transportation was just easier and cheaper considering parking and traffic was always a nightmare. I sometimes really miss good public transportation. Owning a car can be such a pain in the ass sometimes, plus, I loved to just kick back and read on my way to work. However, I do love to get out on the open road and drive. I haven't taken a road trip in far too long.

I learned to drive when I was 9-years-old. I grew up on a farm, so it wasn't unusual for kids to learn to drive at young ages so they could help out. But, my learning to drive was actually spurred on by my siblings. We had long driveway--about a mile--and my mom would go to work before we were up, but she usually caught a ride with one of her other co-workers; she just had to get to the end of our road. So, if one of us kids got up at 5 a.m. and drove her to the end of the road, we'd have the car to get us to the end of the road to catch the school bus later and didn't have to walk (oh, the horror, we might have to walk!!!). I recall my siblings taking a special interest in me learning to drive and I thought it was pretty cool. I didn't realize they just didn't want to get up so early anymore. ;)

Don't feel too bad. I don't drive at all. My Grampa tried to teach me when I was about 13 with a big black Cadillac. I hated it. He yelled at me constantly and made it a completely miserable experience. I took driver's Ed. Hated that too. Got my learner's permit and drove with that for a little while. I was not good at it and I still hated it, and so decided driving wasn't for me. Everyone said "enh, you'll do it eventually." My Nana didn't get her license until she was 29, so they figured I'd be the same. They underestimated how stubborn I would be. Never got it, and don't intend to.

Every once in a while it's a minor problem, but in general, I don't regret it at all. Most places we lived before Georgia had wonderful public transportation, and I biked or walked a lot as well (kept me in shape). Here we don't have public transportation, but I manage. I can walk to a lot of places. Work I go with hubby after lunch (he comes home for lunch - saves us a lot of money) or I can work from home (my work gives me a lot of flexibility), and I have built in transportation half the year anyway (we give my mom a place to stay - her own "mother-in-law suite" in the basement - rent and utility free, so an occasional ride isn't too much to ask). And speaking of Ford Festivas, my mom had one of those for years and loved that thing.

This discussion has made me think though, and thinking about it, the weird thing is that I pick out hubby's and my vehicles - which considering I don't drive is interesting. Also hubby generally researches many electronics he buys, but for some reason not the cars. When we dated in college, he had the car he came with... this dark brown Chevy Nova with a sagging roof liner with air conditioning that wouldn't work and a power window that wouldn't go down on his side - in Florida. I used to stick my arm on the open window ledge and the other across the seat back to direct the wind from the open window over to hubby. Not surprisingly that car was called the "Brown turd." When we left Gainesville 8 or so  years later, we passed it on to someone else - and the thing was still running as far as we knew a year or two later.

Our next car was a red Chevy S10 (I don't remember who chose that one, but I had saved up for the down payment while hubby finished grad school). Manual windows to avoid that problem. We had that for a few years until one day it just up and died, so I started researching extensively before we bought the next one... a Toyota Tacoma access cab - great gas mileage for a pickup with extra seats in the back and a half door, but still the ability to haul dirt, mulch, or a dead turkey or deer in the back (hubby is a turkey and deer hunter). That vehicle served us well, until one rainy afternoon trek home from a long Christmas jaunt. We made it two hours from home and spun out getting on an on ramp (one of those ones that has an off ramp nearby so you have to speed up fast to avoid cars exiting). Even though we weren't hurt and the air bags didn't even deploy, the insurance company said that the damage total wasn't worth the fixing (hubby had never had an accident before so we had accident forgiveness as well) *, so the pay off went to the next vehicle... My favorite yet. After much consideration, I chose a Subaru Forrester. We've had it for over a year now and we love it. The no frills model - no moon roof to avoid potential leaking - but with the removable all weather floor mats, so hubby can still throw a dead turkey in the back and we can haul my mulch and humus for the garden.

We like taking long trips in it - hubby drives, I navigate for any new adventures, so all he has to do is follow my directions and not have to think about the turns or exits. It has great gas mileage for a small SUV. Funny that once the people at work saw our car, a few people got one for themselves - heh.

* That poor truck. It had only been a few weeks since it's second parking lot accident - twice people had run into it while it was just sitting there minding its own business in the parking lot. The first one was pretty bad and probably in retrospect didn't help its aerodynamics much in spite of it being fixed at the Toyota dealership. We were eating dinner and there was an announcement that there had been an accident in the parking lot... and I just knew it was our poor truck. I didn't even go out there because I knew I'd be angry. An older lady supposedly went to park and hit the accelerator instead of the break - she tried to blame that Toyota spontaneous accelerating thing, but the angle she hit at didn't look like she would've made the spot even at a crawl. Poor truck's bed was whacked out of alignment and partially crunched - and ours was just the one bounced off of by the primary vehicle hit, so you can imagine what shape that poor car had been in (i.e. totaled).

Wow, considering I don't drive, I had a lot to say about cars.

I am not a fan of driving either. Didn't get my license till I got married at 32. I drove a tiny bit the first year or 2 and then gave it up. haven't driven since-26yrs-but I keep my license up to date.

We are on our 3rd Forester. We leased one and then bought it, leased another, and then just bought a 2012. We did get the sunroof as we have always had it and its never leaked! I too pick the cars event though I am not the driver :-)

• Love 1

AwesomO4000 and Demented Daisy  it really is that expensive here.  You can get a day pass for $9.50 (good idea if your trip might take more than 90 mins. one way) or a monthly pass (unlimited) for $99. Those are limited quantity, so you need to get them pretty much as soon as they are released or they might not be available.  Kid's (6-17) fares are slightly cheaper, $2.10 for a single pass, $6.75 for a day pass and $60 for a monthly pass, 5 and under ride free.

Mind, all of this is set against the back drop of the highest  downtown parking rates in Canada.  Second highest in North America, only New York is higher.

Demented Daisy,  when and where did you live in Germany?

I am German and after moving away from my rural hometown in Bavaria, I lived in Stuttgart for 10 years. I'm sure, the Porsche lovers here know where that is ;-). In the 1990s, a single trip ticket in one zone was over 2 DM at the time. Things got progressively more expensive if your ride crossed more zones. I'm sure it's way more expensive these days.

No one rioted. ;-)

(edited)

I lived there for a little over 7 years, from late 2004 to early 2012.  I used to take the bus from my house to Bad Canstatt every Saturday, sometimes more during Frühlingsfest.  Five of us would get a group pass for 10 euros.  All day, bus or train.  *shrug*  I moved there after the Euro was adopted, so I never had/used Deutsch Marks.

ETA  I was trying, in a joking, hyperbolic manner, to say that the Germans would never allow their local governments to charge such exorbitant fees for a public service.  Something that everyone should, and do, use.  I was actually trying to be complimentary, but obviously I failed.

Edited by Demented Daisy

Bad Cannstatt, a fellow Stuttgarter! I'm sure a day pass is and was cheaper than a regular single ticket. I'm visiting my home country again this summer, so I'll check what public transit costs these days.

Well, it's the Swabian genes. We are supposedly the Scots of Germany when it comes to being conservative with money. ;-) We might riot for other reasons, but when it comes to money, we just save even more than normally.

I objected to the hyperbole since when I moved to Toronto, public transit seemed cheap since a single ticket for 2.50 Canadian would get you all over the city, no zones. So, compared to that, Stuttgart was way more expensive. Of course, also much more elaborate.

I miss decent public transport. Where I live now, it's a bad joke.

I KNEW It!!

An inordinate amount of people here are obsessed with trunk space. I'm just glad you all are on our side!    Right?

Maybe? Hey, why don't I come over for dinner and we'll find out? ;)

• Love 1

What I would REALLY get, if I could get ANY car, is a Porsche. That's probably kind of a "dated," stodgy choice but those things are GORGEOUS.

For me, if I could get any car it would be a Charger or Challenger.

Everyone Kingsman came out on Blu/DVD on Tuesday, go get it.

Okay guys, first of all, I'm not going anywhere near Dot and her daughter! Or AwesomO4000! (and you seem so nice! I love your fanfic!) I like to avoid people to whom the question "How many people can you fit in the trunk of your car?" is not theoretical! And I'm sure we all know by now how truly sick catrox14 is!

As for Rue's question, I don't have a pic on line but I'm going to find one and scan it. Just don't judge me!

Honestly, this place is insane, and dangerous!

• Love 2

Okay guys, first of all, I'm not going anywhere near Dot and her daughter! Or AwesomO4000! (and you seem so nice! I love your fanfic!) I like to avoid people to whom the question "How many people can you fit in the trunk of your car?" is not theoretical! And I'm sure we all know by now how truly sick catrox14 is!

Moi? I do not even have a trunk in our Subaru Forrester. It is a very windowed vehicle which does not try to hide anything. If anything it is my predilection for music which would be played on Doctor Demento which is suspect... "Dead puppies! Dead, dead, dead puppies. Dead puppies aren't much fun. They don't come when you call. They don't chase squirrels at all. Dead puppies aren't much fun. No, no no..." (I can provide a link to the song if you like.)

I wanted you to get the reason for being wary of me correct ; ) .

And sadly it is my slightly off imagination which results in my somewhat nontraditional fanfic, so is maybe a necessary evil?

And I am pleased that you enjoy my fanfic. I will soon be posting a new chapter - I'll let you know when. I'll be dedicating it to you... in a very innocent and sincere manner, I swear.

• Love 3

Moi? I do not even have a trunk in our Subaru Forrester. It is a very windowed vehicle which does not try to hide anything. If anything it is my predilection for music which would be played on Doctor Demento which is suspect... "Dead puppies! Dead, dead, dead puppies. Dead puppies aren't much fun. They don't come when you call. They don't chase squirrels at all. Dead puppies aren't much fun. No, no no..." (I can provide a link to the song if you like.)

I wanted you to get the reason for being wary of me correct ; ) .

And sadly it is my slightly off imagination which results in my somewhat nontraditional fanfic, so is maybe a necessary evil?

And I am pleased that you enjoy my fanfic. I will soon be posting a new chapter - I'll let you know when. I'll be dedicating it to you... in a very innocent and sincere manner, I swear.

Oh my God AwesomO4000! I'm so flattered! Thank you so much, you made my day!! 

I came here tonight to tell you I had Mick read your fanfic, and he picked up on the same imagery I did, and read the same parts I love out loud! I wish I could copy/paste it, but  the line "Sam had no idea if that meant that was the dawn or the waning afternoon light that was shining in his eyes" is such a perfect line. I wish to hell I could write like that!

Again, thank you, I honestly don't know what to say!

On a totally different tangent: Thirteen-year-old daughters are just horrid. On the other hand, sometimes they are all amazing previews of what they'll be like as adults. Right now, mine is being just horrid. I have whiplash. Gah.

• Love 2
(edited)

Okay guys, first of all, I'm not going anywhere near Dot and her daughter!

So, I'm not invited to dinner? That's too bad, I've gotten lots of recipe ideas from Hannibal... ;)

BTW: I have no children. I'm not responsible enough to take care of myself let alone another human being. Maybe you were referring to the imaginary ghost that haunts my life though? ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 1

On a totally different tangent: Thirteen-year-old daughters are just horrid. On the other hand, sometimes they are all amazing previews of what they'll be like as adults. Right now, mine is being just horrid. I have whiplash. Gah.

I promise you it does get better.  So, resist throttling her.  Hard though that may be.

Mind, I find that flashes of the horrid teenage still occur, even though the youngest is now 27. Or it might just be PMS.  They sorta look the same :D

• Love 2

I used to be a substitute teacher, and that was just the WORST age. Middle school was ROUGH. But kids really matured in 9th grade. So hang in there! You're right in the thick of it! The only way out is through! :P

The other good thing about her finally getting out of middle school -- in 9th grade, you can go out for school sports! Growing up, I kept wanting to play sports, but for the rec leagues, your parents had to fill out applications and pay fees and give you transportation and stuff -- and that was not happening for me. Actually, one year I flat-out crashed Little League tryouts (they were holding them at my elementary school), and got through the whole tryout -- batting, catching, etc. But finally, one of the coaches told me, "OK, all I need is the paperwork and fee from your parents and...." and I was like uhhhhhhh guess this isn't happening then. LOL. But then in 9th grade, you could start playing sports through the school (and it was free, you got transportation from the bus, etc etc etc). So from 9th grade on, I played sports year round until I graduated. And actually, I ultimately ended up playing rec soccer and volleyball with girls from my high school teams during their off-seasons, WHILE I also played other sports for the high school. And all this despite being a gigantic nerd and not at all athletic! Sports were really fun, though -- I absolutely loved it, and going out for them as a teenager was one of the best decisions I made in my life imo. Maybe *especially* because I'm not naturally very athletic. Anyway, my point is:  the side benefit to all those 3-4 hour practices Mon-Sat and two-a-days and "warm up" runs of 3-4 miles before weights, circuits, drills, and a scrimmage -- the side benefit to all that exhausting physical activity -- was that it knocked a lot of the shithead behavior right out of me! Just something to consider if your kid is too much of a handful. Maybe try running her into the ground until she's too tired to do anything bad :P LOL.

• Love 1

Wait a minute, Mick Lady. Why am I the sick one in this motley crew? I am simultaneously honored and horrified.

Really? Need I remind you?;

--After being incognito and hidden from Crowley she gets captured by demons and IMO she knew Crowley wouldn't kill her because Mommy reasons.

--She knew about the First Blade and that it was the only thing that could kill Cain

--She manipulated Crowley into using the illusion spell to get Dean to kill Cain, making him the only bearer of the Mark.

--She knew about the Codex and that she needed the Two Men of Letters to open the box.

--She hexed Crowley back into being the King of Hell

She hexed Crowley back to being a demon which just amped up his hubris and then he thought he would get Oscar to hurt Rowena but IMO she wanted him to find Oscar.

--She binds Crowley and turns Cas into her attack dog

--She knew that the Mark was the Lock and freeing Dean of the Mark would unleash the Darkness.

--And Death needs to be dead for the Darkness to rule the world

I mean really, it all makes perfect sense, if you have that kind of mind...

So, I'm not invited to dinner? That's too bad, I've gotten lots of recipe ideas from Hannibal... ;)

BTW: I have no children. I'm not responsible enough to take care of myself let alone another human being. Maybe you were referring to the imaginary ghost that haunts my life though? ;)

Sorry Dot! Confused you with SueB. You serial killers are hard to keep straight!

• Love 2
(edited)

That's not because I'm the sick puppy. I just followed the breadcrumbs the writers left me.

I mean sheesh I would never put the bodies in the trunk of MY car... Good grief, I'm not an idjit!

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 4
I came here tonight to tell you I had Mick read your fanfic, and he picked up on the same imagery I did, and read the same parts I love out loud! I wish I could copy/paste it, but  the line "Sam had no idea if that meant that was the dawn or the waning afternoon light that was shining in his eyes" is such a perfect line. I wish to hell I could write like that!

Again, thank you, I honestly don't know what to say!

No, seriously: it's me who should be thanking you. It means a lot to hear that you and your husband enjoy my story. You made my day. I don't generally get praise for that Supernatural fanfic. Almost all of the comments I get are about my Buffy fanfics... even though I wrote them over 10 years ago. (I honestly don't even know how people find them, myself)

And it's also ironic that you chose that sentence to quote. If only you knew the trouble it gave me. At first I thought I should get rid of that third "that" and the "was" (and did once or twice), but then it sounded like I was talking about a light in Sam's eyes rather than the light form the hotel room window from the first part of the sentence, so I put it back in... which also explains why I don't write more than I do. I self edit a lot, and I'm always going back and editing more until finally I usually end up saying enough... Damn it, Jim, I'm a scientist not an English major. Heh. Even now seeing the sentence again, I'm thinking "hmm, maybe I should've gotten rid of that second 'that'." Heh.

But seriously, I'm glad you like that section. It was one I considered cutting down many times, but finally decided I liked the way it built and decided to keep it as it was, even if it was a bit long... but let's face it, as Omegamom said over in the fanfiction thread, Sam is a little more long winded, and he fidgets and frets. He also overthinks things sometimes, and sometimes he can't help himself and he disagrees/fights/questions, because it's what he does and he doesn't know how else to be even when he knows it doesn't help him (as he is self-aware of in that section of mine), so I tend to write Sam's headspace sections with that in mind. Whereas Dean's headspace sections I write often move a bit more quickly and sometimes skip some of the transitional "thinking"... To me, Dean is more quick to adapt and change his mind if the situation warrants it, and for me his thoughts reflect that. They are more about consequences of action and less about questioning and rationalizing.

On reflection, I might put waaaay too much thought into these things. ; )

The other good thing about her finally getting out of middle school -- in 9th grade, you can go out for school sports! Growing up, I kept wanting to play sports, but for the rec leagues, your parents had to fill out applications and pay fees and give you transportation and stuff -- and that was not happening for me. Actually, one year I flat-out crashed Little League tryouts (they were holding them at my elementary school), and got through the whole tryout -- batting, catching, etc. But finally, one of the coaches told me, "OK, all I need is the paperwork and fee from your parents and...." and I was like uhhhhhhh guess this isn't happening then. LOL. But then in 9th grade, you could start playing sports through the school (and it was free, you got transportation from the bus, etc etc etc). So from 9th grade on, I played sports year round until I graduated. And actually, I ultimately ended up playing rec soccer and volleyball with girls from my high school teams during their off-seasons, WHILE I also played other sports for the high school. And all this despite being a gigantic nerd and not at all athletic! Sports were really fun, though -- I absolutely loved it, and going out for them as a teenager was one of the best decisions I made in my life imo. Maybe *especially* because I'm not naturally very athletic. Anyway, my point is:  the side benefit to all those 3-4 hour practices Mon-Sat and two-a-days and "warm up" runs of 3-4 miles before weights, circuits, drills, and a scrimmage -- the side benefit to all that exhausting physical activity -- was that it knocked a lot of the shithead behavior right out of me! Just something to consider if your kid is too much of a handful. Maybe try running her into the ground until she's too tired to do anything bad :P LOL.

Daaaamn, rue721, that is so impressive to me. I was crappy at sports, too, but never had the confidence or bravery to do what you did. To put in all of that time and dedication is so impressive to me. I am really awed by your dedication.

Of course I was a sickeningly well-behaved kid even if I had a slightly bratty year at that magical 13 year age. And I had insomnia a lot, so too much energy was not a problem during my teen years. My big "keep myself out of trouble" thing at that age?... Babysitting. In my opinion, few things kick your butt into shape more than being responsible for some babies and kids, and it snowballs. Once you do one job well, word gets around. I was babysitting babies and multiple children from the time I was 11 years old. And I made money, which I needed, so I definitely wanted to not screw that up... resulting in more responsible me.

• Love 1

AwesomO4000, you're not nuts for agonizing over a word or two. I think I've said it before, my best friend taught Writer's Workshop at NYU, and one thing she stressed was revision, revision, revision!

I get the science thing though. I'm a  (retired) professor of Theoretical Mathematics. Don't all yawn at once! I can't write to save my life. I'm constantly amazed at the talent here. While I'm waiting on your next chapter, I'm reading 7kstar's stuff. I'm getting completely eaten alive by fanfic!

• Love 2

That's not because I'm the sick puppy. I just followed the breadcrumbs the writers left me.

I mean sheesh I would never put the bodies in the trunk of MY car... Good grief, I'm not an idjit!

When you posted that theory, I called my sister (a fellow Supernatural freak) and after a moment of silence, she said "What kind of people are you hanging out with on-line? You know it's an insane person's favorite pastime."

Honest to God, that's exactly what she said!

Best part? She called me back about a half hour later and said "Got a link for that post?"

rue721, as much as I' enjoying retirement in Idaho, I'm incredibly frustrated by the school system here (well that and all the damn Republicans!) because they makes kids pay to participate in sports. That's so fucking short sighted! Some kids stay in school just because of sports, and others like yourself discover the amazing benefits: teamwork, managing time, setting and meeting goals, the list is endless. I've spent my entire life in academia, and have seen first hand the positive effects of sports. 

rue721, as much as I' enjoying retirement in Idaho, I'm incredibly frustrated by the school system here (well that and all the damn Republicans!) because they makes kids pay to participate in sports. That's so fucking short sighted! Some kids stay in school just because of sports, and others like yourself discover the amazing benefits: teamwork, managing time, setting and meeting goals, the list is endless. I've spent my entire life in academia, and have seen first hand the positive effects of sports. 

It's actually happening all over the country, not just in Idaho. Sports are expensive for schools, with insurance and equipment fees. Many schools just aren't getting enough funding to provide the extra curricular activities for free anymore--not just sports but drama, art and so on. It really is a shame because kids do benefit from these programs. It's been especially hard on small town school districts where enrollment has been declining which also reduces funding.

I played both basketball and ran long distance in track when I was in high school. I wasn't particularly good at either, but I enjoyed it and they both were great shaping tools for me. Basketball taught me what it meant to be a member of a team and track taught me to set my own goals. Plus, they kept me busy and out of trouble. I also was involved in band and a lot of other activities I wouldn't have gotten to participate in if I had to pay for each one because I doubt my mom could've come up with that kind of money for all four of us kids to get to do what we wanted.

This is why levy and property tax issues are so important come election time. This is how your local school system gets funded.

Sorry, it appears I was really climbing up on my soapbox there. This public service announcement was brought to you by someone who benefitted from being too old! ;)

• Love 3

OT: Sorry I just have to whine for a minute.

I must have eaten something that contains something I'm allergic too.  For the past 3 hours I had an itchy scalp (which I NEVER have) and then my chest was itchy and now my fingers are itchy and swollen. I've washed my hands and I took some allergy meds and have used some cortisone itch cream but it's driving me batcrap crazy. 

ACK!!!

It's actually happening all over the country, not just in Idaho. Sports are expensive for schools, with insurance and equipment fees. Many schools just aren't getting enough funding to provide the extra curricular activities for free anymore--not just sports but drama, art and so on. It really is a shame because kids do benefit from these programs. It's been especially hard on small town school districts where enrollment has been declining which also reduces funding.

This is why levy and property tax issues are so important come election time. This is how your local school system gets funded.

Sorry, it appears I was really climbing up on my soapbox there. This public service announcement was brought to you by someone who benefitted from being too old! ;)

I always get upset with save the music but they do little to save Theatre as well.  The Fine Arts are important.  Sports are important because some kids aren't Fine Arts and we need both.  The difference between the haves and have Nots is really frustrating. 

I've taught middle school for way too many years...but it does have its moments of joy and sometimes it sucks...it just depends on how the kids react to each other.  But the good news is children do grow up and most don't get stuck in middle school.

OT: Sorry I just have to whine for a minute.

I must have eaten something that contains something I'm allergic too.  For the past 3 hours I had an itchy scalp (which I NEVER have) and then my chest was itchy and now my fingers are itchy and swollen. I've washed my hands and I took some allergy meds and have used some cortisone itch cream but it's driving me batcrap crazy. 

ACK!!!

If it keeps getting worse go see someone but hopefully it will calm down and get better.  Benadryl is the next thing to try but if it keeps getting worse go to the emergency clinic.