Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

rue721, I'm likely going to be the tough one. I do like Creedence - as you might remember from my musical suggestions upthread - but there are a lot of typically favorite bands that I only like a few songs of: Led Zeppelin (I like one or two songs of theirs), U2 (Sorry catrox. I only like their weird-ish stuff. "Angel of Harlem" is my favorite. I wish they did more like that. It's mainly the clanging guitar. It drives me crazy. I really don't like "It's a Beautiful Day." I know, I know.), REM (I only like the stuff of theirs that they don't like themselves, like "Stand"), The Cars (I like ones the usual lead singer doesn't sing and/or isn't like their usual stuff like "Drive"). Oh and Guns and Roses, The Black Crowes, Bonnie Raitt, most Sheryl Crow... yeah, I suck.

So yeah, I'm a weirdo when it comes to music. But hey, I do like The Rolling Stones.

My hubby has bought a cute little video drone. He and my daughter were flying it In. The. Dark. So of course it is now stuck in a tree....

The red and green blinking lights sort of make it our own personal UFO.

Creedence Clearwater Revival is okay, but I don't like the voice.  So not my fav.

Paint it Black isn't my fav, but I don't hate it.  I'm afraid I may be the black sheep of this group.  :(

Just wondered if everyone likes this song?  I really loved it in Heart and Souls which may be why I like it so much.  It is BB King

@Awesom04000 I'm use to loving only one or two songs on an album and have very few artists that I love all of their songs.  Which is why I like Itunes, I can buy just the song.  Although sometimes I find one I really like but it isn't sold on Itunes...that of course sucks.

Edited by 7kstar

Shit OK WILL KEEP LOOKING. I know there's got to be a band -- or at least a song! -- that everyone here likes :)

What music do you like, catrox?

Can we agree on "Carry On My Wayward Son"?

I pretty much like anything.It really depends on the song or piece itself. Seriously. Classical, country(depending on the artist), hip hop, rap, indie, new wave, alternative, rock, 90s era alternative, jazz (although I don't like hard core jazz). My iTunes is pretty eclectic.

U2 is my favorite band if that tells you anything.

"Sunday, Bloody Sunday" is one of my favorite songs.

Creedence Clearwater Revival is okay, but I don't like the voice.  So not my fav.

Paint it Black isn't my fav, but I don't hate it.  I'm afraid I may be the black sheep of this group.  :(

Just wondered if everyone likes this song?  I really loved it in Heart and Souls which may be why I like it so much.  It is BB King

Awesome000 I'm use to loving only one or two songs on an album and have very few artists that I love all of their songs.  Which is why I like Itunes, I can buy just the song.  Although sometimes I find one I really like but it isn't sold on Itunes...that of course sucks.

B.B. King is a God.

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 1

I'm use to loving only one or two songs on an album and have very few artists that I love all of their songs.  

I'm the same way.  I'm not really a fan of bands. I'm a fan of songs.  I have learned, over the years, that even bands I couldn't stand might eventually have one tolerable song. 

I like to buy cds.  I like something I can hold and I read all the liner notes. I'm often surprised at who the artists collaborated with on songs.  Years after listening to same song over and over, I find out who was singing background.  I only found out a few years ago that Mick Jagger sang backup on "You're So Vain".  A song I liked in the early days, but can't stand now.  I think part of the reason I loved Peter Tosh's "Don't Look Back" was because Mick's background vocals are very distinguishable.  I also learned that Linda Ronstadt sang back up for the Nitty Gritty Dirt band on "An American Dream" and Toni Tennille sang backup on Pink Floyd's The Wall. All years after this stuff was released. 

I started a thread on another message board, years ago, called gems.  This was before internet downloads.  I would hear one song I really liked and I would go out and buy the cd. While listening to the cd, I would find a better song - you know - like a gem.  A song that never got played on the radio.  I don't remember what song I bought The Gin Blossoms 'New Miserable Experience' over, but the real gem was "Pieces Of The Night".

"But it's lacking something big this time

What the hell did you expect to find

Aphrodite on a bar stool by your side"

That is such a great line. Probably my all time favorite lyric.

I enjoy the whole album.  That was one of my better buys.  I bought The Verve Pipe for The Freshmen and Butthole Surfers  for Pepper and found nothing else worth listening to on either of their cds. 

I'm the same way.  I'm not really a fan of bands. I'm a fan of songs.  I have learned, over the years, that even bands I couldn't stand might eventually have one tolerable song. 

I like to buy cds.  I like something I can hold and I read all the liner notes. I'm often surprised at who the artists collaborated with on songs.  Years after listening to same song over and over, I find out who was singing background.  I only found out a few years ago that Mick Jagger sang backup on "You're So Vain".  A song I liked in the early days, but can't stand now.  I think part of the reason I loved Peter Tosh's "Don't Look Back" was because Mick's background vocals are very distinguishable.  I also learned that Linda Ronstadt sang back up for the Nitty Gritty Dirt band on "An American Dream" and Toni Tennille sang backup on Pink Floyd's The Wall. All years after this stuff was released. 

I started a thread on another message board, years ago, called gems.  This was before internet downloads.  I would hear one song I really liked and I would go out and buy the cd. While listening to the cd, I would find a better song - you know - like a gem.  A song that never got played on the radio.  I don't remember what song I bought The Gin Blossoms 'New Miserable Experience' over, but the real gem was "Pieces Of The Night".

"But it's lacking something big this time

What the hell did you expect to find

Aphrodite on a bar stool by your side"

That is such a great line. Probably my all time favorite lyric.

I enjoy the whole album.  That was one of my better buys.  I bought The Verve Pipe for The Freshmen and Butthole Surfers  for Pepper and found nothing else worth listening to on either of their cds. 

I adore New Miserable Experience ! Excellent taste!

I had a Warren Zevon night. Shocking how relevant his song The Envoy is. Nothing ever changes, eh? I've always wanted Supernatural to use Zevon's Excitable Boy or Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner, but I'm weird like that...

I love some bands and singers, but I also love individual songs, so I am a big fan of compilation CDs. The trick is to find the ones with the original versions of the songs. With a good sale, often I've found great buys for not very much - like $5 or less. The Motown, hair band, rock, and funk collections usually have the most for me, but I've found some great pop ones as well. About half (at least) of my CDs are multiple artist compilations.

• Love 1

Can we agree on "Carry On My Wayward Son"?

I've never been all that much into Kansas, but do recognize their musical talent. I do like "Wayward Son"--more so for it's connection to Supernatural--and I rather like "Point of No Return", though.

I'll just echo Mick Lady's "BB King is a God."

ETA: Thanks for the morning musical interlude, definitely helps get the day started right!

I pretty much like anything.It really depends on the song or piece itself. Seriously. Classical, country(depending on the artist), hip hop, rap, indie, new wave, alternative, rock, 90s era alternative, jazz (although I don't like hard core jazz). My iTunes is pretty eclectic.

U2 is my favorite band if that tells you anything.

I love U2, Dave Matthews and the old classics Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Guess Who, The Who, The Beatles...

Edited by MYFAKETVBOYFRIEND

I love U2, Dave Matthews and the old classics Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Guess Who, The Who, The Beatles...

Nice. Love all of those.

Prince is in my top 5 fave artists ever so add funk and disco to my list. Back up haters. I loved to dance. Still do. Need to do more of it.

Anyhoo, per our discussion I decided to gander at CD/itunes collection. My vinyl is at my brothers house in Colorado because it had been at my mom's and I couldn't bring it all back with me after her funeral and selling the house. Hopefully I can get all of it soon.

I haven't bought a CD in like 5 years but the most recent is a compilation called Bella Luna I got at Starbucks when I was with my mom, which has various older songs from various artists. I gave one to my mom and she had it in her car and listened to it often and always with me. So I'm having some trouble listening to that right now. But it is just delightful and happy.

It features.

1 A Shot In The Dark - Henry Mancini

2 Guaglione - Marino Marini

3 La Bambola - Patty Pravo

4 Buona Sera - Louis Prima

5 Come On-A My House - Rosemary Clooney

6 The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - Hugo Montenegro And His Orchestra

7 Sotto Le Stelle Del Jazz - Paolo Conte

8 Return To Me (Ritorna-Me) - Dean Martin

9 Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin

10 O Sole Mio - Mario Lanza

11 Tu Vuo Fa' L'Americano - Renato Carosone And His Sextet

12 Lazy Mary (Luna Mezzo Mare) - Lou Monte

A sampling of my vinyl in no particular order:

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life and Scret life of Plants

Elton John -

The Commodores

Earth wind and fire

Kansas

Foreigner

ELO

Bee Gees (love the Bee Gees) like 4 of their albums

Dan Fogelberg

Bob Seger

Jackson Browne

The Beatles:  White Album and Sgt Pepper

Andy Williams (my favorite male vocalist ever)

Beach Boys

The Eagles

REO Speedwagon

My CD sampling :

The Smiths

Spilt Ends

U2

Garth Brooks

George strait

Alanis Morrisette

Soundgarden

Dave Matthews

The Police/Sting

Linkin Park

Kitaro

George Winston

Mannheim Steamroller

Santana

Prince

Pink Floyd

Supertramp

Madonna

10000 maniacs

Hooverphonic

Coldplay

Gladiator soundtrack

Matrix Soundtrack

Lots if classical compilations

My iTunes gets even stranger with more soundtracks from Doctor Who, Torchwood and soon Supernatural

It's all pretty random but I can listen to all most of all of those in their entirety for the most part without skipping songs.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
Bee Gees (love the Bee Gees)

I'm all about their early stuff. I don't mind some disco, and Bee Gees disco was for me somewhat typical, but the earlier, pre-disco bee Gees stuff was great for me. Their "Massachusetts" is still one of my favorite songs. When it comes on the radio, I just have to sing it.

However, I also loved Jimmy Fallon's Barry Gibb impersonations on Saturday Night Live and then Justin Timberlake later doing Robin Gibb. So funny. And when Barry Gibb showed up to do it with them on the 40th anniversary special (I think) - awesome.

• Love 1

Catrox...if I go to hell, they'll be playing the Bee Gees on constant loop.  The falsetto puts my teeth on edge!

PLEASE SueB, don't tall Crowley this! It would be the "musac" he used in his endless line!

I can't...I just can't!

• Love 1

Nice. Love all of those.

Prince is in my top 5 fave artists ever so add funk and disco to my list. Back up haters. I loved to dance. Still do. Need to do more of it.

Anyhoo, per our discussion I decided to gander at CD/itunes collection. My vinyl is at my brothers house in Colorado because it had been at my mom's and I couldn't bring it all back with me after her funeral and selling the house. Hopefully I can get all of it soon.

I haven't bought a CD in like 5 years but the most recent is a compilation called Bella Luna I got at Starbucks when I was with my mom, which has various older songs from various artists. I gave one to my mom and she had it in her car and listened to it often and always with me. So I'm having some trouble listening to that right now. But it is just delightful and happy.

It features.

1 A Shot In The Dark - Henry Mancini

2 Guaglione - Marino Marini

3 La Bambola - Patty Pravo

4 Buona Sera - Louis Prima

5 Come On-A My House - Rosemary Clooney

6 The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - Hugo Montenegro And His Orchestra

7 Sotto Le Stelle Del Jazz - Paolo Conte

8 Return To Me (Ritorna-Me) - Dean Martin

9 Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin

10 O Sole Mio - Mario Lanza

11 Tu Vuo Fa' L'Americano - Renato Carosone And His Sextet

12 Lazy Mary (Luna Mezzo Mare) - Lou Monte

A sampling of my vinyl in no particular order:

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life and Scret life of Plants

Elton John -

The Commodores

Earth wind and fire

Kansas

Foreigner

ELO

Bee Gees (love the Bee Gees) like 4 of their albums

Dan Fogelberg

Bob Seger

Jackson Browne

The Beatles:  White Album and Sgt Pepper

Andy Williams (my favorite male vocalist ever)

Beach Boys

The Eagles

REO Speedwagon

My CD sampling :

The Smiths

Spilt Ends

U2

Garth Brooks

George strait

Alanis Morrisette

Soundgarden

Dave Matthews

The Police/Sting

Linkin Park

Kitaro

George Winston

Mannheim Steamroller

Santana

Prince

Pink Floyd

Supertramp

Madonna

10000 maniacs

Hooverphonic

Coldplay

Gladiator soundtrack

Matrix Soundtrack

Lots if classical compilations

My iTunes gets even stranger with more soundtracks from Doctor Who, Torchwood and soon Supernatural

It's all pretty random but I can listen to all most of all of those in their entirety for the most part without skipping songs.

catrox, I love your taste! So much to comment on.

Dan Fogelberg. When Mick and I got married, and merged our LP collection, (Yes, that long ago! Wanna make something of it?) we each had one Dan Fogelberg album. I had Captured Angel, he had Netherlands. We listen to both a lot.

Mick didn't know The Smiths, so played him Girlfriend In A Coma and he went nuts! If you like The Smiths, check out Fountains Of Wayne. I think you'd like them.

Bobby Darin! Beyond the Sea is one I couldn't live without. Andy Williams is in a class all by himself , Try To Remember has a special meaning to me because of my Dad.

Mick wanted me to tell you that although Prince isn't to his taste, he respects Prince because he is one hell of a musician. So there's that.

Edited by Mick Lady

I have two Mannheim Christmas CDs

And recently listened to Transiberian. That was something else.

As far as Prince goes....I just can't say enough about him. He's so weird and amazing.  I was lucky enough to see him in concert back in the day. Unfortunately it was his Under the Cherry  Moon (eep) tour but fortunately he played all of his Purple Rain stuff, Controversy and before that. I have never been more entertained at a concert in my life.  He has so much energy and exudes...this sexuality that is indescribable. Just so much fucking talent.

I found his concert more entertaining than the Stones or Elton John/Billy Joel...which OH MY GODS that was incredible but not as ....I dunno....intense.

• Love 1

Hey catrox, I'm so glad you're finding some joy in music. I know your life has sucked recently, and it's good to see you still knowing how to fight it.

You have a lot of friends here. You know that.

Most are afraid of you, (because face it, you're barking mad), but no reason to bring that up now....

Mick didn't know The Smiths, so played him Girlfriend In A Coma and he went nuts! 

Ryan Adams covered Taylor Swift's album '1989' in the style of The Smiths.  I like Ryan Adams.  I don't like Taylor Swift.  I'm a little torn about this. 

I absolutely love pre Saturday Night Fever Bee Gees.  They made a comeback, but the music they were making in the '80s was kind of generic.  I didn't have any interest in it anyway.  It was the same with Chicago. I loved the early music.  I couldn't listen to them in the '80s.  I despise '80s pop music in general.  Starting in 1984 I couldn't listen to anything on the radio. I had to find an oldies station. 

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 1

I would've given you the thumbs up, Commando Cody, on account of my agreeing on the early Bee Gees love... however I also like a lot of 80s pop, and since Bon Jovi is one of my favorites ever... along with Weird Al who was very active in the 80s pop thing - I just couldn't do it.

But I understand about some genres just not meshing with your tastes. For me it was 90s post-Nirvana grunge actually most grunge that wasn't Nirvana. I just couldn't stand that genre.

I'm all about their early stuff. I don't mind some disco, and Bee Gees disco was for me somewhat typical, but the earlier, pre-disco bee Gees stuff was great for me. Their "Massachusetts" is still one of my favorite songs. When it comes on the radio, I just have to sing it.

However, I also loved Jimmy Fallon's Barry Gibb impersonations on Saturday Night Live and then Justin Timberlake later doing Robin Gibb. So funny. And when Barry Gibb showed up to do it with them on the 40th anniversary special (I think) - awesome.

Did they do I've got to Got To Get A Message To You?

Hey, Mick Lady--

That's their nest. Here's a page on how to deal with them (though you might want to get a pro to deal with them instead?):

http://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/landscaping-and-hardscaping/yellow-jackets

I like the suggestion that, if you have raccoons or skunks in the neighborhood, you drip some honey around the hole to attract them, and they'll dig up the nest and eat them all. All very cycle-of-life-ish.

My family would watch, fascinated, as the yellow jackets gnawed off bits of fried chicken and then tried flying off with them at the end of our autumn picnics. Sometimes they'd misjudge, get a piece too big. Hah!

• Love 2

I have a huge playlist of '80s pop, rock, and alt. My hubby hates '80s music, so I don headphones. :-)

But I love it...Don Henley, The Hooters, Wang Chung, Cory Hart, U2, Midnight Oil, Glenn Frey, Bananarama, Toto, XTC, INXS, Talking Heads, The Police, Prince, more...

Then there's my hard rock/metal/mullet rock playlist: Queensryche, The Scorpions, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Metallica, with newer stuff mixed in...Evanescence, Breaking Benjamin, SixxA.M., Five-Finger Death Punch, Papa Roach, Linkin Park, The Killers...

I started to like music again in the '90s.

Semi Sonic, The Refreshments, Gin Blossoms. I think that's when Green Day started getting big. However, I haven't liked their more recent offerings. After American Idiot they kind of went down hill. 

I pretty much listen to the same 515 song playlist over and over now.  

The Doors, The Moody Blues, Pre-'80s Chicago, The Refreshments, The Gin Blossoms, Michael Franks, Robben Ford, The Rembrandts, Some odd artists here and there where I liked one song and none of their others.  

Did they do I've got to Got To Get A Message To You?

Yes, along with  "New York Mining Disaster 1941" - a beautiful but very depressing song sung from the point of view of a miner trapped in a mine - "I Started A Joke," "To Love Somebody," "(Blaming It All on the) Nights on Broadway," "Lonely Days (Lonely Nights)," and "(It's Only) Words." And the before mentioned "Massachusetts."

Hey, Mick Lady--

That's their nest. Here's a page on how to deal with them (though you might want to get a pro to deal with them instead?):

http://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/landscaping-and-hardscaping/yellow-jackets

I like the suggestion that, if you have raccoons or skunks in the neighborhood, you drip some honey around the hole to attract them, and they'll dig up the nest and eat them all. All very cycle-of-life-ish.

My family would watch, fascinated, as the yellow jackets gnawed off bits of fried chicken and then tried flying off with them at the end of our autumn picnics. Sometimes they'd misjudge, get a piece too big. Hah!

Omegamom, do we share some kind of energy or something? This is what hubby and I do at our picnics as well. We put out a "plate" (actually usually a beer bottle cap) of  some food (usually meat) for the yellow jackets to have. They are pretty quick to figure out that the stuff in the cap is "theirs" and don't bother anything else, and then we watch them cut off pieces and fly away, often dipping down first - due to the added weight - and then circling up and around to orientate themselves. We have had guests who offered them something to eat off of the end of their shish kebab skewers. Watching their flight from those is even easier to see how they do it.

Mick Lady: As for your yellow jackets, I am guessing that most of those methods would work. I would personally feel bad about the bowl thing though, since slowly starving them to death sounds a bit cruel to me. I am actually of the opinion that having yellow jackets in the yard is a good thing, myself. They eat a lot of pest insects, especially lawn webworms, and will peruse the lawn with a one track mind if they find some until they eat them all. The problem is if their nest is somewhere where people will come into contact with it often, and especially if it's in the path of a lawn mower or near anything that vibrates (chain saw, weed whacker, etc.), because they hate that. But generally I find that if I find the colony entrance, mark it with an orange marking flag, and then give it some distance, and keep vibrating things away, they'll do their thing and not bother us... except for the occasional picnic handout which we are happy to give them. One year we had a colony right next to our driveway by a fence. We could walk right up to the entrance and watch them go in and out. We never had any problem with them. The one time or two my hubby did get stung, it was due to him using a chain saw in the vicinity of a nest entrance. I can't stress enough that they really hate that.

The weird thing about your nest is that they likely have been there since the spring, but you just didn't notice. This is the time of year they get more active and busy. They are growing and preparing their queens for overwintering. The rest of the colony will die off. Two years ago, I had a nest in my flower garden about 3 feet from my chives plant that I harvest regularly and didn't even know it until late in the summer. Once I found out, I adjusted my mowing pattern - I would zip by that area and keep an eye out - but they never did anything. They don't reuse their nests, so once a freeze comes, the yellow jackets in that nest will die off. The queens will fly off and find a place in the ground to overwinter.

If you do decide to get rid of them, Mick Lady (or Mick), be careful. Night time is the best time to act, get stuff with a long range shot, spray as much as you can into the hole quickly, and get the hell out of there. Or what I would do if I were going to try to kill them - usually I would leave them, since I like my lawn with as few pest caterpillars as possible - is like Omegamom suggested: get professional help. Especially if anyone is allergic.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

• Love 2

I love Point of Know Return and listened to the album over and over.

I loved dancing when I was younger and could, whether it was two steps, jitterbug / Swing, square dancing or just plain rocking out to rock and roll.  However now my body won’t allow that, I need a knee replacement so I can’t pivot anymore, well unless I don’t want to scream in agony.  Of course my feet decided to join in, so dancing is out. 

I discovered I did like PE in college because I took fencing and dance.  Trying to learn how to dance well enough for musical auditions but I really started a bit too late.  I did jazz, tap, modern and ballet dance in my 20's.

I hate YELLOW JACKETS.  I will kill them, period.  If they are flying in the back yard and I'm not there I leave them alone.  But I got stung when they decided they liked the area near my front door.  I didn't realize they were there.  My crime, trying to open my front door.

I get the Hot Shot with Lemon Grass.  They don't like the smell and will go somewhere else.  I have neighbors that don't do anything and they use their roofs as their nesting spots.  I only go after a nest near my front doors.  If they are just flying around and leave me alone I will avoid them...but if they enter the wrong zone..."Well prepare to DIE!!!!!   :)   

• Love 1

AwesomO4000 and Omegamom, thank you! I love all the info I get from you guys.

I'm kind of on 7kstar's side though. I hate to kill anything, and in fact today I "re-located" a spider just for Awesom! Our problem is our dogs. We fenced about a third of an acre around the house so the dogs (English Mastiff, Airedale, Lab) could hang in the yard when we couldn't keep an eye on them. This nest is smack in the center of the dogs' yard, and they have become fascinated with this thing. I'm terrified they'll get stung or step in the hole and break something. We haven't done anything so far, just keeping the dogs in the house as much as possible. Mick is going to deal with it tomorrow, he's just not sure how. He's going to go to our local feed store to pick their collective brains.

Can't wait to hear the old-timers advice, I'm sure it will involve fire,(they'd never suggest anything simple, like, oh I don't know, wasp spray?) and I'll have to rein Mick in! Otherwise, he'll want to make it a party, invite his Bros over and end up burning the place down!

• Love 1

Can't wait to hear the old-timers advice, I'm sure it will involve fire,(they'd never suggest anything simple, like, oh I don't know, wasp spray?) and I'll have to rein Mick in! Otherwise, he'll want to make it a party, invite his Bros over and end up burning the place down!

Okay I know someone that did fire to kill the insects and they lived.  And he got hurt, so maybe something else.  Totally get wanting to protect your pets.  Dogs aren't always the smart ones when it comes to certain things.  lol

Okay I know someone that did fire to kill the insects and they lived.  And he got hurt, so maybe something else.  Totally get wanting to protect your pets.  Dogs aren't always the smart ones when it comes to certain things.  lol

You're my friend, ain't ya?! ::dripping sarcasm:: Just trying to make me feel good, right?

Now I'm going to hide the gas can!

I knew this was going to turn into one of Mick's "experiments", made worse by the fact he was an explosive expert in the army.

• Love 2

AwesomO4000 and Omegamom, thank you! I love all the info I get from you guys.

I hate to kill anything, and in fact today I "re-located" a spider just for Awesom!

Thank you! I am happy for the spider. As I tell my hubby - and also homeowners about their carpet beetles - "they have a job to do." * (and now I'm imagining mertensia's "busy" tarantula running down the sidewalk, heading off to get the job done.)

The dogs sound big, so a little fence around the hole wouldn't deter them. And likely a nice dome of chicken wire wouldn't either, though that would let the yellow jackets in and out without the dogs falling in or getting too close (actually I'll have to remember that one! Might be a good alternative for families who don't want to use chemicals and / or don't want to kill a nest in an area where trouble might occur. Add some spikes to the chicken wire dome, push it in the ground... hmmm. Might not help with a lawnmower going by though. I may need to experiment. My brain is kinda scary with how it's always thinking.)

As for the fire: I heard a true story where someone tried to use a homemade "flamethrower" (either a  can of aerosol spray and/or one of those candle lighter things) to kill a spider in a web and ended up burning his house down. Not sure what happened to the spider. ; ) And there's always heywood bank's cautionary second verse of "911.."

Comes a Saturday and the barbecue it just won't light

** N-i-n-e o-n-e o-n-e **

I douse the coals with some gasoline and a match I strike

** N-i-n-e o-n-e o-n-e **

A ball of flames and through the air I'm flying

Hit my cellular phone and I'm dialing

** N-i-n-e o-n-e o-n-e, N-i-n-e o-n-e o-n-e  Hey 9-1-1.**

But seriously - Also let Mick know that gasoline can kill the grass too, so be careful where he puts it. I'd suggest a nice wasp/hornet/yellow jacket killer. And remember: night time is the best time. And also get the hell out of there after treating. The yellow jackets will be angry.

* Or alternatively: "They're just doing their job." Carpet beetles eat discarded hair, skin flakes, pollen, mold spores, all sorts of debris. Most homes have a few, because there is debris to be eaten, and the beetles are just doing their job. (Actually homes that wouldn't have a couple somewhere would likely scare me, because there would likely be too many chemicals being used... and sometimes that leads to crazy OCD later on. I have scary real-life stories about people who call in with behavior just like that: washing and sterilizing the sheets every day, spraying the house surfaces down with alcohol, bleach, insecticide, you name it to get rid of "bugs" that aren't really there.)

Edited by AwesomO4000

I think that was my tarantula- and it did have a job to do: waiting for insects under the lamp by my front door! I know this because (to finish the story) as I got in my car that nighttime I realized I had left lights on. Well AC is expensive enough in the summer- no way I was leaving lights on for 10 hours or so. So I got out and went in and turned them off and as I was relocking my door I looked down to make sure the cat wasn't trying to sneak out. There was the tarantula! It made a startled "oh!" movement and I swear shuffled embarrassedly. I said "no visitors" and left.

• Love 2

You're my friend, ain't ya?! ::dripping sarcasm:: Just trying to make me feel good, right?

Now I'm going to hide the gas can!

I knew this was going to turn into one of Mick's "experiments", made worse by the fact he was an explosive expert in the army.

Well now I know you needed the warning.  An Army Expert, of course he's going to use something that is fun for him, but it may do more damage than ya want. I'm sure he will tell you he has it all under control.

I was just trying to be a good friend and give ya a warning.  (Pouts)  I'd hide the matches too.  :)

I did.  Just in case the cases get better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Out of curiosity, I checked the leaderboard and the person in first place has over 15k points.  I do not want to know what she had to do to get that many points.  

• Love 1