Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

I see it as blue and black.  I can't see where it would be white and gold, especially as I see it as royal blue, not light blue.  It is very odd!

I think it's hilarious because so many people's first reaction is OMG YOU GUYS ARE TROLLING ME RIGHT?!

(I know mine was :P).

I thought the idea that it was white & gold was a joke, but it turns out most people see it that way.  Crazy!

It looks whitish and gold to me, but mostly it reminded me of this dress by Dmitry from Project Runway All Stars, except I though Dmitry's dress was awesome, and that one... not so much. And, yes, he used fringe (after dying it) to make that part of the dress. The fabric didn't come that way. He made those wavy sheer line areas also, and if I remember correctly, he made it in a day. Dmitry is awesome (in my opinion anyway).

Edited by AwesomO4000

I think the theme for today's TNT Superfan marathon is, "Here, let me rip your heart out of your chest and show it to you."

In My Time of Dying

All Hell Breaks Loose Part 2

No Rest for the Wicked

Family Matters

Taxi Driver

Blood Brother

Dark Side of the Moon

Good God, Y'all

My Bloody Valentine

Gah.  Good thing I don't have time to watch.

(edited)

A friend just got amazing news (a promotion), and while we were texting about it just now, she was saying that how things are turning out for her, it seems like this Tarot card reading she got last summer was right on target. My aunt, who is more-or-less a con artist, at one point was running a scam that she was a fortune teller (and in a meta-scam, kept asking for money to keep her scam fortune telling business going. LOL), so I've just always figured it's all fake and have never had my cards read. But then, I started thinking, I'm sort of at loose ends, I could use some direction in life. Even if all the fortune teller does is try to pick on hints about you and tell you what you want to hear, maybe it would be interesting to find out what the fortune teller thinks I want to hear!

So I was joking around and was like, "what if something goes wrong? I've seen too many horror movies." My friend was like, "what horror movies? I want to see these horror movies!" So I described to her what always happens when people in horror movies see a fortune teller:  the arrogant/naive victims-to-be go to a psychic on a lark, the psychic seems like she's just a joke, then BOOM she starts actually getting a ~vision from beyond~, she gives some prophesy or something, and she's maybe horribly injured or at least knocked around a bit, and then she finally comes to/dies/faints/etc. So my friend was laughing at me and saying that I was being like, "Fortune tellers? No way! I've seen Are You Afraid of the Dark! I ain't stupid!" So I told her that we should go see a psychic this weekend after all (boo-ya?), and in the meantime, I would watch some more horror movies to study up.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that I guess I'll watch The Mentalists tonight.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 1

Okay, I think Hellatus is really starting to get to me. 

I burned my hand on the oven last week leaving a bit of a scar running lengthwise on my thumb.  Then a couple of days ago, I burnt the same damn area again...only this time it was perpendicular to the other burn.  And today as I was typing I noticed.....I'm half way to the Mark of Cain because this thing totally looks like the MoC.

Help me. LOL

• Love 5
(edited)

Ugh, I have to write a grocery list and go shopping today, I hate grocery shopping with the fire of maybe 10 suns. I'm sure I could put it off until tomorrow if catrox14 would just post her MoC burn marks for me so I could procrastinate, I mean analyze them, um in depth, for science reasons.

Edited by trxr4kids
  • Love 4

Ugh, I have to write a grocery list and go shopping today, I hate grocery shopping with the fire of maybe 10 suns. I'm sure I could put it off until tomorrow if catrox14 would just post her MoC burn marks for me so I could procrastinate, I mean analyze them, um in depth, for science reasons.

You could be like my father, and despite one of the heaviest snowfalls of the year, decide to *walk* to the grocery store, and then disappear for hours with no way for anyone to get in touch with you, have your wife frantically tell your daughter she thinks you're dead and she has to go looking for you, but then finally show up at home in the nick of time -- thankfully, bearing the essentials:  2 bottles of wine, a carton of cigarettes, a big jug of olive oil, lettuce and a piece of lamb. (And then have an argument with your wife because apparently you were supposed to buy peanuts and paper plates, too).

By the way, this is a man who flaked out on SURGERY -- literally just not showing up for his own operation -- just last week because it was snowing when he was supposed to leave for the medical center. My mom had said at 10:30pm the night before the surgery that she WOULD 100% DEFINITELY take him, albeit using some crazy circuitous route that I decided to just let go unremarked upon for reasons of maintaining my own sanity. But then the next morning, she apparently was too nervous to drive him after all, and he was too much of a "mess" to drive himself, since he hadn't been able to have even a coffee or cigarette that morning (rme). Of course, I only heard about them sitting at home while his surgeon twiddled her thumbs at the medical center an hour *after* my dad was supposed to be lying on the table. When I did hear about it, I was like -- get your shoes, get your coat, I am going to drive you there RIGHT THE FUCK NOW and maybe they can find a way to still fit you in today. But at that exact second he was chowing down on a PB&J and drinking a cup of coffee, so he couldn't have gone under anesthesia anyway. Lost cause. Even getting him to have a *checkup* in the first place took months of effort on my part, him throwing the phone and cussing when I couldn't drive him to the doctor's for the appointment day/time he wanted, etc etc etc. So him flaking on the actual surgery after all that work? UGHGHHGHHHHHHHHH. Especially since snow is apparently ndb to him this week, he's trudging through it for three hours straight for a couple bottles of wine and a good dinner. Maddening. What can ya even do.

So uh I guess my advice would be to NOT be like my father and NOT go to the grocery store after all? Or maybe not, I mean, I don't think the lessons learned from his story are necessarily generalizable.

• Love 1

I would post a pic of my MoC...however I apparently have demonic healing powers (see also Vitamin E) because it's starting to heal already.  Plus the part that is the most recent burn is scabbing over and gross looking. 

I'm sorry, I have failed you.  :(

I'm so Dean right now.

Hee, rue721 - your dad sounds as exasperatingly stubborn as my Grampa. When my grampa's not feeling well, instead of going to the doctors, he likes to wait until it becomes a crisis - usually at 2 in the morning or so - so that he instead has to call an ambulance or have my mom take him to the emergency room where he'll have to wait for hours instead - sigh. But he's 90 and you can't reason with him.

And oh, man, trxr4kids, I wish I could go grocery shopping for you - it's like my favorite household chore. I wish I could go grocery shopping for everybody and make that like a side job - though sadly I don't drive so that wouldn't work. It was more fun back when coupons were more useful - like a big game of how much money I could save. (I'm not one of those super couponers though - just regular coupons). Now though I like to get stuff on sale and make that my "see how much I can save" thing. I also make grocery shopping fun by doing it in weird places - like Big Lots. I actually buy a bunch of my groceries in there - they have an awesome Bob's Red Mill section and the pasta selection is much more diverse than regular grocery stores around here. (We don't have anything cool like Whole Foods or anything). And they sometimes have Beanitos - which are entirely awesome, so I stock up when they do, because healthy, yummy snacks: I am there. And sometimes if I find a great bargain while grocery shopping, I'm happy for days about it. The last one was this huge, 18 pound bag of Texas red grapefruit for $8. They were (are - hubby and I are still eating them like 2-3 weeks later) delicious, and my hubby is loving them as much as me and still thanking me for getting them. And if I ever take too long * or maybe just because, I bring him some bag of something he really likes (like pistachios or his favorite Starbucks coffee or something) that I saw on sale and it makes him so happy and he totally loves me for it .. so yeah, I love grocery shopping...

And okay, I'll just shut up and be over here in my crazy corner now...

* Cause hubby generally drops me off and/or waits in the car and works on his computer. It's even better on the rare times I get him to go shopping with me. When we were younger, we'd go together and enjoy it, but he's generally too busy now and so lets me do it while he works on something.

• Love 1

OMG rue271, how'd you know what was on my list?

Well I mean, that's everybody's "essentials" list, I think? Plus cat food.

Hee, rue721 - your dad sounds as exasperatingly stubborn as my Grampa. When my grampa's not feeling well, instead of going to the doctors, he likes to wait until it becomes a crisis - usually at 2 in the morning or so - so that he instead has to call an ambulance or have my mom take him to the emergency room where he'll have to wait for hours instead - sigh. But he's 90 and you can't reason with him.

He's not even all that old, he's just always been like this. OK, because it made me think of it:  when I was growing up, it was normal for people to leave nice stuff that they didn't need anymore out by where the trash got picked up, and other people would take that stuff if they liked it. So I got all my "good" toys from the trash -- a big Playskool easel, etc. And a bicycle. But I couldn't ride a bike yet (I was like 5 y/o), and I wanted my dad to teach me. So he went out with me and ran behind me holding the bike, but he wouldn't let go. So I'd yell at him to let go, and he wouldn't, and I'd yell at him some more, etc, and then finally he'd be like, "OK, you want me to let go?" and I'd be all exasperated and say, "YES!" and he'd stop the bicycle completely, so that I was just perched on top of a still bike, and THEN he'd let go. So obviously I'd fall over, and be like UGH THAT WASN'T WHAT I MEANT. Anyway, so of course I failed to learn to ride the bicycle that way. But then we moved to this other place, about a block away from a park with a bike path. So my dad decided he was going to start jogging, along that bike path. But because he's him, how he went about it was ridiculous and he'd be smoking a cigarette literally while running, etc. My mom was sure he'd get himself into trouble. So she took me and my bicycle down to the park and told me that I'd better learn how to ride it. So I got on, and taught myself how some way or another. And then after that, every day that he went running, she'd tell me to go trail him on my bike, to make sure he didn't have a heart attack and die or something. LOL. Anyway, so even now, when he wonders out somewhere, she's still like OMG YOU BETTER GO FIND HIM HE'S PROBABLY DEAD. Only thankfully now I don't have to do it on some little white bike with streamers hanging off the handlebars :P.

• Love 1

Okay, is it wrong that I was laughing through your entire story, rue?

My grampa has always been pretty stubborn also - he's just gotten worse in his old age. I would illustrate, but my Grampa's stories of stubborness are much less amusing than yours, and generally end up with us frustrated and him saying "What?" We'll leave it at: that instead of "OMG he's probably dead" we have to worry about "What do you mean you can't find the $1000 you had in your cowboy boot * 'just in case you needed it?"" (And was walking around with while shopping at Home Depot).

* That he insisted on wearing all the time as long as I've known him. Even until he was 90. ** And, no, he isn't mentally challenged at all - that would actually make sense. He's just stubborn and insists that the banks are out to get him and that he knows best and that shoes were crap and only cowboy boots were worth wearing. (Which made total sense since he's from Massachusetts. *sarcasm*)

** He probably would still be wearing them or flip flops (the only two kinds of shoes he'd wear) if he hadn't finally fallen and broken his hip (by tripping on his flip flops). Not to worry, he got a new hip and recovered in a time frame that would rival Dean's broken leg healing (as in literally weeks) with no bad aftereffects at all. Now if we could only get him to stop driving - yeah, as my Grampa would say "in a pig's ass." (and I have no idea what that means. He hasn't lived on a farm for about 75 years.)

• Love 1

rue, here's my shopping secret:

- I go online (Harris Teeter, Giant, etc..., MANY stores offer this service). 

- I click on what I want (usually from the last order I repeat most things).

- I drive to the store, hit the buzzer, bring the groceries to my car, put the groceries in my trunk 

- I drive home and unpack.

Some will eve bring the groceries to your house.  And for those who say it cost too much ($4.5 if you pay each time, less than $2 if you pay for a full year and go every week)... think how much you save in avoiding impulse buying.  You buy JUST WHAT YOU NEED, and not what looks good.

Try it. Seriously.  

• Love 1

Well I mean, that's everybody's "essentials" list, I think? Plus cat food.

And cat litter.  Or is that just me?  I don't know why we are always running out~oh right, 4 cats :D

rue, here's my shopping secret:

- I go online (Harris Teeter, Giant, etc..., MANY stores offer this service). 

- I click on what I want (usually from the last order I repeat most things).

- I drive to the store, hit the buzzer, bring the groceries to my car, put the groceries in my trunk 

- I drive home and unpack.

Some will eve bring the groceries to your house.  And for those who say it cost too much ($4.5 if you pay each time, less than $2 if you pay for a full year and go every week)... think how much you save in avoiding impulse buying.  You buy JUST WHAT YOU NEED, and not what looks good.

Try it. Seriously.  

I could only wish.  None of the grocery stores here do any sort of on line shopping and definitely no delivery.  Grump, grump, grump.

AwesomO4000  I would love it if you could do my grocery shopping.  I didn't use to mind it, but I spent two years as a mystery shopper for one of the grocery chains and I am all shopped out!

• Love 2

Okay, is it wrong that I was laughing through your entire story, rue?

Oh of course you should laugh, I only told that story because I thought it was funny!

Sad news. I had planned to go to a fortune teller today, despite the warnings that COUNTLESS horror movies have given me, because I thought, hmmmmm I could really use some direction, and maybe the psychic, through reading me very closely in an attempt to scam me, will have some insight into what I really want in life. But then last night, I looked up some psychics on Yelp and it turns out that a session with any of them is 60 minutes long and costs at least $100! No way. So I'm going out to lunch and playing pool this afternoon instead. Blower. Apparently, it would be cheaper to just buy drugs and have my own vision quest than it would be to hire a fortune teller to do it. But I've tried that so many times and it never works! So what do ya do.

• Love 3

Awesom0400 you sound just like my sister, her organizational skills disgust me. She always has a plan of attack, sale ads, coupons, lists, she probably has store schematics on her phone, as well as stocking schedules, not to mention the shortest route between various stores, her home and work, just ugh. She's tried initiate me into her mysterious ways but I'm either too disorganized, have too short of attention span or a too deeply ingrained sense of little sisterness (whiny voice: I can do it myself, I don't need help) to become indoctrinated. Seriously I could call her right now and ask where has the best selection and price on a cut of meat or a candy bar and she would not only know but be able to me the nutritional value per serving without hesitation.

* glowers with shopping skill envy*

• Love 1
(edited)

Awesom0400 you sound just like my sister, her organizational skills disgust me. She always has a plan of attack, sale ads, coupons, lists, she probably has store schematics on her phone, as well as stocking schedules, not to mention the shortest route between various stores, her home and work, just ugh. She's tried initiate me into her mysterious ways but I'm either too disorganized, have too short of attention span or a too deeply ingrained sense of little sisterness (whiny voice: I can do it myself, I don't need help) to become indoctrinated. Seriously I could call her right now and ask where has the best selection and price on a cut of meat or a candy bar and she would not only know but be able to me the nutritional value per serving without hesitation.

* glowers with shopping skill envy*

Hey now. Don't sell the need to be independent and do things your way short.  You should always have pride in that! (/Little sister of meddling, controlling, and annoying older sister.)

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Awesom0400 you sound just like my sister, her organizational skills disgust me. She always has a plan of attack, sale ads, coupons, lists, she probably has store schematics on her phone, as well as stocking schedules, not to mention the shortest route between various stores, her home and work, just ugh. She's tried initiate me into her mysterious ways but I'm either too disorganized, have too short of attention span or a too deeply ingrained sense of little sisterness (whiny voice: I can do it myself, I don't need help) to become indoctrinated.

Hey now. Don't sell the need to be independent and do things your way short.  You should always have pride in that! (/Little sister of meddling, controlling, and annoying older sister.)

Naw what you have to do is to ask for help and pretend you don't understand how to do what they're trying to teach you, until they just do it for you altogether. You know, "Amelia Bedelia" it!

Little Sister:  Oh howwwwwwwww do you go grocery shopping again? Oh wait, I don't get it -- is *this* how you do it? [Terrible attempt that fails horribly].

Big Sister:  OH FFS JUST LET ME DO IT.

• Love 3

Naw what you have to do is to ask for help and pretend you don't understand how to do what they're trying to teach you, until they just do it for you altogether. You know, "Amelia Bedelia" it!

Little Sister:  Oh howwwwwwwww do you go grocery shopping again? Oh wait, I don't get it -- is *this* how you do it? [Terrible attempt that fails horribly].

LOL that only works when the Older Sister doesn't spend the next 30 years reminding you that she did it for you ONCE

Gah if only Rue and catrox, my sister isn't meddling or controlling and she's only annoying because she wouldn't fall for that load of BS. She'd probably piss her pants laughing at me for even trying it.

LOL that only works when the Older Sister doesn't spend the next 30 years reminding you that she did it for you ONCE

OR  Big Sis catches on/gets fed up and gives you a whole big speech about how she has faith in you and your ability to do it for yourself. So you have to do it or you look bad.

<--------  Occasionally fed up Big Sis of two younger sisters :D

• Love 1

See, I was the dopey younger sister who was usually tricked by the older ones into doing stuff. Much like how Dean got Sam to climb down in that hole in Bugs. It only took me three or four times to realize the electric fence was on and would shock me even though my older siblings assured me it wasn't. ;)

Anyway, I hate shopping with the firey passion of 10,000 suns! All shopping, but grocery shopping is a particular dislike of mine because I hate all the choices anymore. It makes my head hurt trying to decide between all the different types of Wheat Thins and such. I just want some tasty crackers, damn it!

• Love 3

I despise grocery shopping.  Boring, redundant task.  And I get tired of reading ingredient lists in the vain hope that what I want to buy won't have copious amounts of sugar in it.  I just want non-sweet spaghetti sauce, damn it!

• Love 1

That sounds suspiciously close to how my husband does stuff.  Take laundry for example.  He purposely does it wrong so that he won't have to do it anymore.

Then you have a stupid big sister, lol.  I would show you how, then let you get in trouble for doing it wrong...ooops.  Now falling for my lying sister...it took me years to figure out she just can't tell the truth...but then again she believes her lies and does have some issues...I think nearly dying 7 times before the age 10 has something to do with it.  So most likely it was guilt, but I had no trouble letting her do her own chores.  There is a big age difference so part of me felt like parent so I really really get dysfunctional families.

Rue if you want me to do a card reading for giggles, I'll do it for free.  No promises of anything.  lol  Although for some reason I'm really good at helping others figure out what to do, but I suck horribly for my own life.

That sounds suspiciously close to how my husband does stuff.  Take laundry for example.  He purposely does it wrong so that he won't have to do it anymore.

Oh, I like doing laundry too - that's my second favorite household chore... I get to hang it outside, so much better than inside chores. After that is doing the dishes. * Needless to say, my house is well stocked, the laundry is always done, and usually the dishes are done. Now the rest of the housework... well...

* By hand. I despise using the dishwasher.

(edited)

I like to vacuum...it's a Zen thing. I hate cleaning the bathroom....HATE.  I will do the dishes, vacuum, laundry. But gods please don't make me clean the bathroom. 

/says as she goes to clean the bathroom so she can soak in the tub

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

Huh. Go figure.  I can't stand vacuuming. I will happily clean the bathroom as a more cathartic experience.  Vacuuming, unless it's getting up something specific, is less satisfying to me. 

Oh I forgot about mowing. I like that, too, though I consider that yard work I guess. It's good exercise also - well at least with our yard. Both the front and back lawn are slopped pretty good, so at lest part of the mowing is uphill.

I don't have to vacuum much anymore - unless it's the window screens - because only one room in our house has carpet now, and since it's the guest room / workout room, I don't worry too much about vacuuming it.

Yeah, how do you think I got through Stats class back in school?

Boyfriend:  Come on, put the books away, hang out.

Me:  I want to! But I have to finish this homework, and I don't get it...

Boyfriend:  [Looks at HW]. All you have to do is [blather I don't bother listening to].

Me:  [Attempt one problem for about five seconds]. I don't get it! Man, I really wish this were done so we could hook up!

Boyfriend:  FFS let me do it.

But tbh my parents manage to play this same trick on me all the time. Things that they could never hope to understand but that I am a total pro at:

-- Driving places

-- Cooking ramen

-- Dealing with health insurance

-- Reading maps (including reading maps WHILE driving)

-- Etc.

Things that they can totally handle on their own, no worries:

-- Whatever they actually feel like doing.

But what can ya do? I know it's a trick, but I can't let them eat ramen with undercooked minced garlic or GOD FORBID no minced garlic at all, can I?!

I like to vacuum...it's a Zen thing. I hate cleaning the bathroom....HATE.  I will do the dishes, vacuum, laundry. But gods please don't make me clean the bathroom. 

/says as she goes to clean the bathroom so she can soak in the tub

I genuinely like making my bed in the morning, that's probably the chore I find the most meditative.

Most chores aren't really a big deal, but one that irritates the hell out of me is cleaning off the George Foreman Grill. I seriously avoid using that grill just because I don't want to clean it. Oh, the oven in general maybe. I don't know that I've ever cleaned the oven in my life.

Once when I was in high school, I got home and saw my mom waving goodbye to a bunch of firefighters. Turned out that her oven was so dirty that she'd started a grease fire in the bottom while trying to cook a frozen pizza. She called 911 thinking that it was a gas oven and could blow. (Turned out to be electric, but the firefighters were too polite to say anything!) That's never happened to me, but maybe just because I move more often than she does. I'll have to keep one move ahead of the dirty oven grease fires.

By hand. I despise using the dishwasher.

Wut. What's wrong with the dishwasher?

(edited)

Most chores aren't really a big deal, but one that irritates the hell out of me is cleaning off the George Foreman Grill. I seriously avoid using that grill just because I don't want to clean it. Oh, the oven in general maybe. I don't know that I've ever cleaned the oven in my life.

Get one of the new ones.  The grilling plates are detachable -- you just throw them in the dishwasher!

(The Foreman grill, that is.  Not the oven.)

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

And all of these complaints remind me of why I had kids :D   I do very little housework anymore.  The only reason I still do the shopping is because we don't have anything within walking distance (and transit here *sucks*) and I'm the only driver.  And believe me, that is a good thing.  The thought of either of mine behind the wheel gives me the hebbie jebbies!

Wut. What's wrong with the dishwasher?

It's been a while since I used one myself, but way back when it would take hubby and I multiple days to get enough dishes to fill it up, and invariably the stuff I would need would be in the dishwasher waiting until it was full, so I'd have to take it out and wash it. Except it would be more difficult to wash if anything dried on it, or it would be gross if it stayed wet. So that lead to me rinsing the dishes off enough first that I thought: wouldn't it just be easier to finish washing it now and be done with it, and yeah it always was, and everything I needed was ready for me to use.

I have more dishes now, so it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but when I'm cooking, I'm in a zone and don't want to have to stop to find something I need and have to dig it out and wash it. It's either in it's correct spot or visible in the dish drainer. Many of my pots require soaking anyway - then they wash up in a snap. I cook using glass most of the time - even glass pots (Visions Ware) - which I love, because I can see the grains (rice, Bulgar wheat, couscous, etc) cooking without lifting the lid and know when they've sucked up all of the water. But sometimes things "stick" to them. That's okay, as long as they're oiled up, they just get a soak and they wash up easily. Most times though they just wash right up with no sticking - and again, I might as well finish washing them. (Bonus: the pots go from stove top, to refrigerator, and then to the microwave - leftovers are so easy and less dishes.) I almost never use metal pots now, unless it's cast iron - which I cook chili and tomato sauce in - and that can't go in the dishwasher anyway. But the point being - if needed, the soaking part is the "hard part" - once that's done, putting them in the dishwasher would just be extra unnecessary time.

By the way, I entirely recommend Visions pots (the all glass ones, not the ones with the metal bottoms) if you can find them. They don't make them any more, so I generally find them in second hand stores and such. My family finds them for me also as X-mas presents. * I really love that stove - fridge - microwave feature. It makes putting stuff away after dinner so much easier. The trick is making sure you oil them well when using.

Sorry that was likely more info than you wanted : / . But I take my cooking equipment really seriously. As I said: zone. Oh, and poor hubby is always getting shooed out while I'm cooking too. No, you can't stand in front of the fridge and wait for something different to magically appear in there while I'm trying to get out the milk, margarine, eggs, etc. Here take an apple and some peanut butter / chips and salsa / whatever snack I can find and go away. Heh.

* Through my efforts and my family's, I now have a set of 4 pot sizes plus a dutch oven size. I even have 3 sizes of glass frying pans. I use those less often, but they're good for poached eggs and braising.

• Love 2

Vacuuming and mowing the lawn are like raking a zen garden for me. I like all the lines and stuff.  I'm weird LOL

Those are my too least favorite chores!  My favorites are cooking, washing dishes and weeding the garden.  Planting the garden is also a favorite chore, but my husband likes to tell me that is a hobby and not a chore.

I cook using glass most of the time - even glass pots (Visions Ware) - which I love, because I can see the grains (rice, Bulgar wheat, couscous, etc) cooking without lifting the lid and know when they've sucked up all of the water.

Wha....? I didn't even know glass pots and pans existed! How come they don't make Visions Ware anymore?

I cook pretty much every day because eating is a necessity and all that. But I don't particularly like it, it's just another chore to me. I feel like a saint when someone is sick and I make them matzo ball soup, but otherwise....meh.

What are you cooking that gets you all into the zone?

Here take an apple and some peanut butter / chips and salsa / whatever snack I can find and go away. Heh.

An apple with sharp chedder spray cheese is fantastic, way better than an apple with peanut butter, I wasn't kidding about that before!

Get one of the new ones.  The grilling plates are detachable -- you just throw them in the dishwasher!

(The Foreman grill, that is.  Not the oven.)

Oooh I didn't know they made those, thanks! You know what's *really* a pain to clean, in the same way as a Foreman grill? This thing:

eTuB5MS.jpg?1

It's awesome to be able to make a bunch of teeny tiny pies in like half an hour, but that thing is such a PITA to clean. Probably didn't help that I failed to read the directions and was putting vents in the top of the pies, which caused the filling to bubble up and bake onto the top plate of the pie-press, though. (whomp WHOMP).

What are you cooking that gets you all into the zone?

While I grill most days of the year (even in the dead of cold winter), my favorite cooking is anything to do with roasting.  There's just something homey about it and everyone comes nosing into the kitchen in anticipation as the aromas fill the house.  

• Love 1
(edited)

AwesomO4000  I have good news for you, I was out shopping today and walked by a display of Visions Wear on sale at Wal Mart.  I guess it must be back in production?

Seriously, I want that. I agree with Awesom0400, glassware is so much easier to clean. I did explode a glass casserole dish once while making a roast, I added broth to it after an hour or so of baking without thinking to heat the broth (the box kind that goes in the fridge) first. It was a mess to clean up and I still have a tiny scar from one of the shards.

Edited by trxr4kids
(edited)

AwesomO4000  I have good news for you, I was out shopping today and walked by a display of Visions Wear on sale at Wal Mart.  I guess it must be back in production?

I think that might be something new they are calling Visionware, but it is actually storage stuff? Corning doesn't sell Visions Ware directly anymore, supposedly because of the very slight chance that they will crack and break. See this article for example. However, I did a search as the article suggested and... found not much. There was this article and some warnings on this thread. But for the most part, I think it's very, very rare. I've also seen explanations that their not being sold anymore had nothing to do with defects, just sales (too bad, because I love them) and a strange, but interesting theory that they have been discouraged because they can be used for making drugs such as meth more easily than regular pots and pans. I like them, because I can see the rice and grains cooking, meaning that I can see when they are done without taking off the lid (which can ruin a nice pot of rice or grains if done too early).

Using Corningware of any kind requires its own precautions... See trx4kids example above, and I myself in my college days shattered a baking dish when hubby to be suggested "just use a damp towel as a hot pad." Never, never do that. I was not hurt however.

I'm just careful when handling them - I don't get my hot pots near anything damp and cool, and I make sure there are no cracks, etc. I've never had any problems with mine. I even overheated one once and it was fine as far as I could tell and have used it many times since. I think it is worth the risk also for not only the convenience but the health factor. Whereas I'm all for using cast iron cookware to get a little iron into my diet, I'm a little  more wary about using aluminum and non-stick cookware. I use it, but I understand that it too has it's own questions about health concerns. I prefer the glass and ceramic whenever I can. And this comes from someone who cut her hand on a drinking glass and now seldom uses glass drinking glasses - I use plastic insulated cups - so I don't have to wash them. So I'm generally wary of glass. However - I've given the warning information, so don't let my gushing praise sway you if you have any concerns about exploding pots.

Make of all that what you will.

trxr4kids: My "set" looks pretty similar to this one except for the small short pot in the bottom right (I don't have one of those as far as I know). I have a dutch oven also. They were nowhere near this expensive since I collected them piecemeal. A couple of my lids didn't "come with" either and are from other sources (The great second hand store in my town has a large container full of glass replacement lids, usually for $1 each) - generally Pyrex who I think also made some of the original lids? I suggest the French Visions Ware when you can find it. The "Made in USA" are more common - and on second look this is mostly what I have (I thought I mostly had "made in France" ones, but I was wrong on that one.) I got my beautiful Dutch oven (with lid) for the ridiculous price of $15 in an antique store. I've generally spent from $5 - $15 on each piece and gotten some as gifts.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1

I think that might be something new they are calling Visionware, but it is actually storage stuff? Corning doesn't sell Visions Ware directly anymore, supposedly because of the very slight chance that they will crack and break. See this article for example. However, I did a search as the article suggested and... found not much. There was this article and some warnings on this thread. But for the most part, I think it's very, very rare. I've also seen explanations that their not being sold anymore had nothing to do with defects, just sales (too bad, because I love them) and a strange, but interesting theory that they have been discouraged because they can be used for making drugs such as meth more easily than regular pots and pans. I like them, because I can see the rice and grains cooking, meaning that I can see when they are done without taking off the lid (which can ruin a nice pot of rice or grains if done too early).

Using Corningware of any kind requires its own precautions... See trx4kids example above, and I myself in my college days shattered a baking dish when hubby to be suggested "just use a damp towel as a hot pad." Never, never do that. I was not hurt however.

I'm just careful when handling them - I don't get my hot pots near anything damp and cool, and I make sure there are no cracks, etc. I've never had any problems with mine. I even overheated one once and it was fine as far as I could tell and have used it many times since. I think it is worth the risk also for not only the convenience but the health factor. Whereas I'm all for using cast iron cookware to get a little iron into my diet, I'm a little  more wary about using aluminum and non-stick cookware. I use it, but I understand that it too has it's own questions about health concerns. I prefer the glass and ceramic whenever I can. And this comes from someone who cut her hand on a drinking glass and now seldom uses glass drinking glasses - I use plastic insulated cups - so I don't have to wash them. So I'm generally wary of glass. However - I've given the warning information, so don't let my gushing praise sway you if you have any concerns about exploding pots.

Make of all that what you will.

trxr4kids: My "set" looks pretty similar to this one except for the small short pot in the bottom right (I don't have one of those as far as I know). I have a dutch oven also. They were nowhere near this expensive since I collected them piecemeal. A couple of my lids didn't "come with" either and are from other sources (The great second hand store in my town has a large container full of glass replacement lids, usually for $1 each) - generally Pyrex who I think also made some of the original lids? I suggest the French Visions Ware when you can find it. Most if not all of mine are the "Made in France" variety (which are older). I got my beautiful Dutch oven (with lid) for the ridiculous price of $15 in an antique store. I've generally spent from $5 - $15 on each piece and gotten some as gifts.

Nope, this is the actual cookwear.  Looks exactly like the old stuff, colour and all.  And just like the ones in my kitchen :D  Oddly enough, I just saw an article on someone in Canada who won a fairly large lawsuit due to an exploding pan incident. So, who knows, they might not be available for very long.  Oh and the set in Wal Mart was a 5 piece set, sauce pan, dutch oven, fry pan with lids for the sauce pan and dutch oven. 

My siblings and I bought my mom a set of Vision Ware when I was in high school. She still has most of them, but I found most things stuck to them really bad. Although, I was in high school and probably not the most attentive cook either. I had no idea they didn't make them anymore, they were all the rage when we bought them for my mom. I once was heating milk for yogurt in one of the glass pans and it shattered on me. Still to this day, I don't know why, it wasn't all that hot even yet. Man was that the biggest mess in the universe to clean up!

I prefer to use my old cast iron or ceramic pots and pans, but if it goes in the oven, glass is great..unless it's bread, then gotta be stoneware.

Nope, this is the actual cookwear.  Looks exactly like the old stuff, colour and all.  And just like the ones in my kitchen :D  Oddly enough, I just saw an article on someone in Canada who won a fairly large lawsuit due to an exploding pan incident. So, who knows, they might not be available for very long.  Oh and the set in Wal Mart was a 5 piece set, sauce pan, dutch oven, fry pan with lids for the sauce pan and dutch oven. 

Interesting - I'll have to keep my eye out.

I think that I read that article. The guy cut himself I think while washing them in the sink, so I'm not sure that was an actual exploding incident.

She still has most of them, but I found most things stuck to them really bad.

Milk based things tend to stick more, but soaking usually gets most things off. I cooked wild and brown rice and bulgar wheat (I use a 3 to 2 mix)last night and when I took the pot out of the fridge today to take some out for heating, there wasn't a thing stuck to it. That's what I use them most for, and I cook that kind of thing often, so the pots get a workout. For me, oiling them well is the key.

I prefer to use my old cast iron or ceramic pots and pan

I use cast iron for light frying and my chilis and sauces. It's not good for grains though - all the steaming would get it rusty I think.

That shattering story is scary, but I just love my pots too much to give them up.

The Vision Ware is made for the stove top. The old Corning Ware can be used on the stove top too, but the newer stuff can't, so people get confused and sometimes use the newer stuff on the stove top and the results aren't pretty. I was always checking to see which was which... and I end up using the Visions instead since I know those are for the stove top.

Rue if you want me to do a card reading for giggles, I'll do it for free.  No promises of anything.  lol  Although for some reason I'm really good at helping others figure out what to do, but I suck horribly for my own life.

I've been (over)thinking about it, and tbh can I take you up on the offer? Because I'm really curious what the cards would say!