Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

By the way guys, the Kung Fu shoes are working out great! I absolutely love them! The soles are really flexible, and it makes it much more comfortable and easier to run and to keep good form. It's also really great feeling the ground/terrain more when I'm running -- gives me surer footing somehow. I go barefoot WHENEVER possible otherwise, so that's just more comfortable to me, I guess.

Plus, my old sneakers were so worn out that they were starting to give me a hint of shin splints, which is why I finally bit the bullet and replaced them, and the shin splints are completely gone now that I've been running in these. I even wore them to work one day (they looked better with my outfit than my usual shoes did), and they felt great there, too. Anyway, so I HIGHLY recommend them :) Especially if you tend to get runner's knee or similar knee problems -- I decided to try out minimalist shoes in the first place because they're supposedly good for people with that issue, and haven't regretted it so far! Though of course, it's early days yet, so *knock on wood.*

Demented Daisy, I hope your move has gone well! And that you're still happy to be away from the Hawaiian weather, aka Groundhog Day!

We were hoping for Spring, but instead got cold, windy, and rainy.  Yuck.  And we're in the process of buying a house which, frankly, sucks.  Thought we were going to be excited (20 years and it's our first home buying experience) but it was awful.  Some of the houses we looked at....  *shudder*  I thought people cleaned their houses before they showed!

Sorry for the mini-rant.  We did find a house.  We made an offer and it was accepted; the house passed the inspection.  Now we wait for the appraisal and the underwriting.  With any luck, we'll move in by the end of April.  Until then, we're stuck in this hotel room.

Oops, almost started ranting again.  ;-)

I have arthritis in my hips (shut up, I'm not that old) and I wear minimalist shoes when I run.  You would think running hurts, but no.  Feels great -- walking sucks, though.  My hips try to buckle when I walk long distances.  Or hike.  But give me a smooth, flat surface and I can run run run!

By the way guys, the Kung Fu shoes are working out great! I absolutely love them! The soles are really flexible, and it makes it much more comfortable and easier to run and to keep good form. It's also really great feeling the ground/terrain more when I'm running -- gives me surer footing somehow. I go barefoot WHENEVER possible otherwise, so that's just more comfortable to me, I guess.

I'm jealous. I have a thing where I don't like to feel dirt on my feet. I hardly ever go barefoot except sometimes on the beach (If I'm snorkeling, I'm in fins most of the time anyway) and every once in a while in my home. I generally wear socks and/or socklets inside and shoes outside. As a result, my feet are usually too sensitive to go barefoot very far except on sand.

We were hoping for Spring, but instead got cold, windy, and rainy.  Yuck.  And we're in the process of buying a house which, frankly, sucks.  Thought we were going to be excited (20 years and it's our first home buying experience) but it was awful.  Some of the houses we looked at....  *shudder*  I thought people cleaned their houses before they showed!

Sorry for the mini-rant.  We did find a house.  We made an offer and it was accepted; the house passed the inspection.  Now we wait for the appraisal and the underwriting.  With any luck, we'll move in by the end of April.  Until then, we're stuck in this hotel room.

Oops, almost started ranting again.  ;-)

Buying a home is a complex thing. It took us about 8 months to find the one we wanted * (we rented an apartment while we looked), and even then there were bumps along the way... for example, the master bath in the house we finally wanted had a leak and the floor was sagging some, so the bank wouldn't approve the loan until we got that fixed, so we had the bathroom torn up to fix the floor (the previous homeowners weren't happy even though we'd already put down a deposit - but we had no choice. The bank wouldn't approve the loan until the floor was fixed). Well, because the home appraiser, who was supposed to appraise before that happened, called in sick the day we were scheduled for (and neglected to tell us, so that the bathroom was already torn up by the time we found out she hadn't showed) we had to throw in a bathtub *** extra fast so it would be a "working bathroom" for when the appraiser finally did decide to show up rather than take our time and find what we really wanted - needless to say, I still don't really like that tub all that much 15 years later. Our family has not had luck with appraisers. When my Grampa's house was last appraised, it was appraised for waaaay more than it should be worth - hence more expensive local taxes than he should be paying.

* We were stubborn and insisted on finding the house ourselves, no buyer's real estate agent. So glad we did, because we only saw houses we wanted to see and saw a lot more neighborhoods while looking on our own. We'd go find a neighborhood, look for houses on sale, and match up house to the photos in the real estate magazines to find the prices. Nowadays there's Zillow and the like, so it's even easier than that. We made sure to have a real estate lawyer though when getting the papers signed.

*** The contractors had to get one actually.

I have arthritis in my hips (shut up, I'm not that old) and I wear minimalist shoes when I run.  You would think running hurts, but no.  Feels great -- walking sucks, though.  My hips try to buckle when I walk long distances.  Or hike.  But give me a smooth, flat surface and I can run run run!

I'm the opposite. I can walk until the cows come home, but running even fairly short distances gives me a stitch in my side and makes me feel totally crappy - like I'm going to give out at any moment. I do get small pains in my knees and hips at times from walking, but they generally go away. I walk a lot though (around 2+ miles a day, 5-7 days a week) , so I expect that to take a little bit of a toll. I'm really young anymore either, so...

Edited by AwesomO4000

Okay, I finally signed up for Twitter today and if I could fangirl for just a second....

Mark Hamill just favorited my first tweet!  How crazy is that?!?!?!

You win the Internet tonight!

• Love 2

Okay, I finally signed up for Twitter today and if I could fangirl for just a second....

Mark Hamill just favorited my first tweet!  How crazy is that?!?!?!

That's awesome! Now the important question, are you going to start tweeting about what you eat for breakfast every day? ;)

• Love 1

So, then brunch? ;)

I go barefoot WHENEVER possible otherwise, so that's just more comfortable to me, I guess.

From a bit back, but I too go barefoot whenever possible. I hate shoes and hate wearing socks too, but am getting old and wimpy so I find my feet get cold a lot more now and have to wear socks all the time...yuck! I always tell my boss it's time to get serious and get some work done as I'm slipping off my shoes at the office.

• Love 2

A Sues UTA, Defected Agents For ‘Lawless, Midnight Raid’

2 hours ago | The Wrap | See recent The Wrap news »

CAA filed suit against rival talent agency UTA as well as defected agents Greg Cavic and Gregory McKnight in Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday for “a lawless, midnight raid” that resulted in unnamed damages to the talent agency. CAA hired prominent employment attorney Anthony Oncidi and Keith Goodwin of Proskauer Rose to represent the agency. Cavic and McKnight left CAA on Tuesday to become partners at UTA along with Jason Heyman, Martin Lesak and Nick Nuciforo. In recent days, the group brought along top clients Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell and Melissa McCarthy with them from CAA, which likely lost tens. »

- Jeff Sneider

So Entourage was real....at least Ari's part was....

EMMY noms for acting have been proffered to many stupid shows with ridiculous plot lines. I don't see why SPN should have been left out for acting when you have Jensen Ackles working.  JMO

It was just a joke catrox, but since you asked...

I'd say if you haven't been watching the show and you get this one episode to watch...say The End, with an apocalypse brought on by a demonic plague; a future and past Dean, who'd went to Hell and was brought back after torturing souls; a hedonistic angel; the Devil himself; and an old Colt revolver that might actually kill said Devil...it would seem like the show is just ridiculous silliness and might dismiss it out of hand compared to a more traditional show you can pop into and understand the storylines better.

Awards aren't always awarded to the most deserving, the bias of the people judging them can get in the way.

EMMY noms for acting have been proffered to many stupid shows with ridiculous plot lines. I don't see why SPN should have been left out for acting when you have Jensen Ackles working.  JMO

We don't have an actors thread, so I'll take this to the SPN vs Other Shows thread.

I had a job interview today at a broadcasting company, and they asked what television shows I watch. I was like, "uhhhh, you're going to think they're really silly!" Because of course I had to say SPN. (And Smallville, Bates Motel, Sherlock -- tried to include stuff that they broadcast, too! My grandma has a gigantic crush on the star of one of their shows, so of course I had to mention that one :P). Anyway, so that was a little real-world SPN shoutout :P.

Totally Crowley in Slytherin.

LOL OK what with it being Crowley and the Trickster's house, Slytherin is apparently my joint. :P

Nice going, whoever put together that chart! Never thought about it before, but Sam is totally Ravenclaw.

• Love 1

Hey, SPNFamily, I just wanted to let you know that you guys have been a wonderful source of support during my mom's illness.  She passed away overnight.  :( 

I'm so sorry, catrox. How are you holding up? Do you have anyone with you?

I'm so sorry, catrox. How are you holding up? Do you have anyone with you?

Yeah, I have some friends in the area. I'm more okay about this than I thought I would be. This morning was rough.  But weirdly, i woke up thinking about her around 1 am and my brother said she passed some time between midnight and 2 am.  :(.

• Love 1

Yeah, I have some friends in the area. I'm more okay about this than I thought I would be. This morning was rough.  But weirdly, i woke up thinking about her around 1 am and my brother said she passed some time between midnight and 2 am.  :(.

It's good that you've got friends there for you. You're in my thoughts, too. I'm so sorry.

Edited by rue721

I know this is still a difficult time.  You think you're ready, and then it still a little surreal.  Plus a flurry of activity and then nothing to do and then another flurry, rinse/repeat.  Can get kinda head-spinning.  We're around if you need us.  Keeping you in my thoughts.

Thanks, everyone. This is a good diversion.  And it's weird but I find so much to relate to in Supernatural that's like real life which makes no sense.  I've probably gone off the deep end...LOL. 

• Love 2

That's scary, Demented Daisy! I hope everything went OK with the surgery and your husband feels better soon.

catrox, I drank a glass of Jameson (& ginger ale) tonight in your honor. I wish I could actually get you some Jameson! But at least you can have this weirdly unappetizing picture of it. Mmmmmmm green-looking whiskey and chili that looks like a gigantic bowl of cold refried beans. Cheers!

R0teGn7.jpg

• Love 1

Ha! I actually bought a bottle of Jameson when I came back to San Diego a couple of weeks ago. I'm not even gonna lie,  I swear it was Jameson's, honey, lemon and Mucinex that keep me from getting a nasty case of bronchitis when I was in Denver this past winter.   And thank you for the toast for my mom. I'm tempted to make a hot toddy right now!

But ginger ale and whiskey...that sounds really good.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone.  He's home now (well, back in the hotel, anyway).  The medication is working, he's not in much pain.  :-)

The really good news is that his doc gave him two weeks of convalescent leave.  He'll work for a couple of days the last week of April, then he takes more time off to move into our house.  So he pretty much has the next month off.

A few days ago I said I wished he had gotten more time off for our move, but this is so not what I meant.  

Have a good Sunday, everyone.

• Love 2

A few days ago I said I wished he had gotten more time off for our move, but this is so not what I meant.  

Have a good Sunday, everyone.

Ooops!  Guess this is a be careful what you wish for thing, eh?   Glad he's doing okay, but remind him that organ removal *is* major surgery and he'll need to take it easy for much longer than he thinks he will.

Edited by Altered Reality
  • Love 1

Oh, yeah, that's what's going to make him craziest.  No walking the dog for at least a week, no running for at least two weeks.  Maybe more, depending on how his recovery is going.  He's really not used to sitting around, doing nothing.  I mean, he's in the military!  Physical activity is pretty much a daily thing for those men and women.  :-)

But he's a good patient.  He'll follow all of his doctor's orders.  If he doesn't, he'll have to contend with me -- which is something he does not want to do.  ;-)

• Love 2

Oh man, the not doing is the hardest.  Or at least it was for me (after I got over the anesthetic~that took a couple of days) and I'm not nearly that physically active!

Good that he has you too keep an eye on him, after a while it's tempting to just get on with things.  Not the best idea :D

• Love 1

catrox sorry to hear about your mom. I have a really bizarre story about my mom's funeral that I'll share sometime if you need a laugh.

DD I'm glad to hear that your husband is okay, if he's anything like mine though you'll probably be ready to smother him in his sleep before he's well again, men are such babies when they're ill. Sorry for the gender stereotyping, only not really.

Edited by trxr4kids
  • Love 1

Oh that moment when playing GTA V on PS4 when you're killing time waiting to see a return in the stock market, so you decide to go to the top of Mount Gordo, and the moment you hit the freeway "Carry On Wayward Son" starts on Los Santos Rock Radio.  Very very fitting.

Meanwhile, over at Cracked:

23 Tiny Changes that Would Save Famous TV Shows

J2UNqTC.jpg

ETA  to fix link

Angel: "Man you guys have it easy.  I've got Wolfram & Hart on my ass."

Sam: "Really?  They were apparently looking to recruit me when I was at Stanford."

Dean: "A law firm?  That can't be that bad."

Angel: "What you guys call an apocalypse, I call a day at the office for Wolfram & Hart.  Although, I really miss Lilah."

• Love 1