Type keyword(s) to search

Zinaida: On the Milky Way to Treachery?

I don't understand why she doesn't think she's in danger. Either she's extremely naive or just plain stupid.

Or she's pretending to be naive.  There is a strong possibility that Stan is right, and she's trying to get information on how the FBI thinks about the KGB, the Soviets, etc.  Her character has hung around for a few episodes, so they're setting her up to do something more important than eat delicious candy bars.

• Love 3

I'm so much more interested in this character now that they suspect she's a spy.  I really enjoy Stan being smart and good at his job.  No more mopey love-sick Stan.  I also hope that Phillip/Elizabeth will not be expected to attempt to connect with her.  It would be very unrealistic, considering their close connection to Stan.  On second thought, any instructions given to P/E would spoil Zenaida's intentions, so please keep them away.

• Love 2

There are so many native Russians on the show!  I didn't realize how many until watching the clip!  Is the woman who plays Nina a Russian native or were her parents?  I know she speaks it fluently. 

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 2

Like many of the other posters here, I think Zinaida's been acting rather suspiciously since her defection. However, I think it's for a more innocuous reason than Stan. My theory is that she's a genuine defector, but has greatly overstated her value as an asset as a member of the US/Canada institute. I think she's just a low ranking pencil pusher or perhaps even just a secretary/personal assistant to a higher ranking officer and doesn't have any solid actionable intel to give to the US. So now she's desperately trying to publicise her case through media interviews and ingratiate herself to the US to garner sympathy before the gig is up. It explains the lack of reaction from the Rezidentura because while the PR stunt is annoying, she can't really damage them because they know Zinaida doesn't actually know anything important.

• Love 3

Like many of the other posters here, I think Zinaida's been acting rather suspiciously since her defection. However, I think it's for a more innocuous reason than Stan. My theory is that she's a genuine defector, but has greatly overstated her value as an asset as a member of the US/Canada institute. I think she's just a low ranking pencil pusher or perhaps even just a secretary/personal assistant to a higher ranking officer and doesn't have any solid actionable intel to give to the US. So now she's desperately trying to publicise her case through media interviews and ingratiate herself to the US to garner sympathy before the gig is up. It explains the lack of reaction from the Rezidentura because while the PR stunt is annoying, she can't really damage them because they know Zinaida doesn't actually know anything important.

I really like this theory! I do wonder if, if it's true, Zinaida realizes she can't be sent back by the US, since she's considered a refugee from Communism. The special treatment would stop, that's for sure though.

• Love 1

Does anyone else think that its odd that the FBI and the entire intelligence agencies of the USA government does not have ONE secure safe house they can stash a high level defector at, instead of a hotel room in DC! 

• Love 3
Does anyone else think that its odd that the FBI and the entire intelligence agencies of the USA government does not have ONE secure safe house they can stash a high level defector at, instead of a hotel room in DC!

It's like they've all been taken by the KGB and filled with wigs!

• Love 3
(edited)

they could borrow a KGB safe house and fill it with bootleg VCR videos tapes of movies

It's like they've all been taken by the KGB and filled with wigs!

Edited by gwhh
  • Love 3

I just feel like this character could have been written to be a little more amusing.  Her huge appetite for American food seems like an easy out to me.  Her character bores me and when paired with Stan, it's doubly boring.  This character could have really been interesting.  What was the point to take Nina, who was so amusing, and move her to Russia and out of the main activity, only to bring in this character?  Seems an odd choice to me.

• Love 4

The thing that bothers me is that she's supposed to be this educated VIP but she comes across as a simpleton. I don't know if the actress is trying to portray Zinaida's wide-eyed wonder of America, or if the actress is playing Zinaida faking it that way, but either way I would expect a woman in her position to act a bit more dignified.

• Love 3

The thing that bothers me is that she's supposed to be this educated VIP but she comes across as a simpleton. I don't know if the actress is trying to portray Zinaida's wide-eyed wonder of America, or if the actress is playing Zinaida faking it that way, but either way I would expect a woman in her position to act a bit more dignified.

I think the character's goal is to make herself seem as harmless as possible, so that the FBI will see her as someone who couldn't possibly be a double agent.

What she didn't realize that is that someone would see through her act - but I guess that's the danger of telling your people that Americans are all idiots.

• Love 1