Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I remember not liking when the switched Rachel’s back then (no offense to Halle’s Hirsh who I actually like as an actress) and didn’t like it anymore this time around. It lost something for me that it wasn’t Vanessa Zima who we watched grow up and have a bond with Greene with. It didn’t feel like his daughter a lot of the time to me. Granted Vanessa’s acting abilities were not as hones as Hallee’s but it all fell flat for me bc they switched actresses. I wasn’t buying it. I would just try to picture Vanessa’s Rachel doing these things and I just couldn’t (not bc she was a saint bc we all know she was a pain in the ass).

OGRachel really grated with her pipsqueak line readings, but the last time we see her at the end of season 6, she's the sweet - somewhat subdued little girl, so it's hard to rectify that character with the character Hallee Hirsh comes in playing. I wish they'd had a few transitional episodes in season 7 (how was Rachel never in season 7 when Mark was dying!?!) where Hallee played a more recognizable version of Rachel before they went sociopath wild child.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

OGRachel really grated with her pipsqueak line readings, but the last time we see her at the end of season 6, she's the sweet - somewhat subdued little girl, so it's hard to rectify that character with the character Hallee Hirsh comes in playing. I wish they'd had a few transitional episodes in season 7 (how was Rachel never in season 7 when Mark was dying!?!) where Hallee played a more recognizable version of Rachel before they went sociopath wild child.

It was kinda incongruous when we saw Rachel being supportive of Mark when his parents died; she even wanted to go with him to San Diego to bury his father's ashes and seemed genuinely touched by the gift of her grandmother's pearls. She was also fairly reasonable during the Thanksgiving episode when she got her period, just a typical kid her age. The young actress was no great shakes, so I understand why they wanted to recast her to play meatier stuff, but it made for a big gap in the storytelling.  A line or two when Mark was sick mentioning that Rachel got suspended from school or that Jen was having trouble handling her would've gone a long way.

And, don't worry, you're going to see more than plenty of Rachel as Mark breathes his last.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

I thought Yvonne Zima looked a lot like Anthony Edwards too so they lost that when they recast. 

Loved Jerry's return! I've seen these before but lost track of who comes and goes, so it was a nice surprise to see him. 

I'm going to have to get my pile of tissues ready for Mark's upcoming death. Sigh. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, desertflower said:

I'm going to have to get my pile of tissues ready for Mark's upcoming death. Sigh. 

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that one - that "Over the Rainbow" song brings me to tears every damned time I hear it.  But I plan to get over it at the thought of RacHELL murdering baby sea turtles with her stolen balloon release.  Bitch.   ;-)

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Bastet said:

Carter and Benton had my favorite relationship of the show, and their good-bye is pitch perfect.  For Carter to get him something sentimental, and get emotional saying good-bye, and for Peter to tell him the El doesn't use tokens anymore but ultimately hug back - and then jog off with a sarcastic remark and a smile.  All wonderfully in character.

I'm 6 episodes behind so not there yet but thank you for pointing out one of my favorite scenes. Yes, the show gets worse with age but they did have moments like this that were very in character. It was such a perfect Peter reaction and a very Carter thing to do. I loved it at the time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that one - that "Over the Rainbow" song brings me to tears every damned time I hear it.

Me too. I remember they used it in the movie 50 First Dates and I started crying. My husband still loves bringing up the fact that I cried at an Adam Sandler movie. I had to explain, ONE, it's sad Drew Barrymore doesn't remember her child when she wakes up everyday, and TWO, Mark Greene died to that song, dammit!! Lol. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Did I miss this or has it not yet been revealed?  Who beat up Matthew Settle's character after he hit Abby?

Luka; it happened at the end of the episode in which she was attacked and went to the hospital.  He'd listened to her tell the police where the guy hangs out, so went to that bar to find him.  He confessed, apologized, said he just flipped out when she "took [his] wife from [him]," the usual abuser's litany, and said he was going to go turn himself in to the cops, but Luka chose to beat the crap out of him, never mind how that might jeopardize her case. 

• Love 2

This episode highlighted two of my favorite things about the show: the friendship between Mark and Susan, and that between Peter and Elizabeth.

Speaking of Susan, and of Abby being attacked, I like that Susan invited Abby to stay with her until the guy was caught. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

Bastet yankee1151, thanks.  I should've guessed.  "Savior" is really more Luka's M.O.

32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This episode highlighted two of my favorite things about the show: the friendship between Mark and Susan, and that between Peter and Elizabeth.

Was thinking the same!  Even while I could've wished for more, I'm glad the show picked up those threads.

Ugh.  Now we're getting into unknown areas for me.  I hope this "Carter is a dick" doesn't last long.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 1

I wonder whose idea it was to have Carter confess he lost his virginity to their 25 year old maid when he was eleven.

Did the writers honestly think the viewers would find it cool?

And I have seen two men fight over a woman on tv many times. But I must say ER managed to make  me cringe even more  by having Carter and Luka fight a "duel" with real swords about their jealousy over Abby.

• Love 4

Allow me to turn into  Olivia Benson for a moment  and be annoyed once again that it was "hilarious " Carter's maid had sex with an 11yr old Carter. If any female had said they were 11 and slept with their bulter, I don't believe any writer would have main characters laugh as a response. I didn't  like all the laughing about how easy his life must have been, pretty sure Abby and Susan know he lost his brother young  (shit maybe even around  the time the maid took advantage  of a preteen.)

I did feel  a bit bad when Gallant said he was ready if they call him for the war. I think that ep was a few months after 9/11 but we weren't in Iraq yet but I could  be  wrong. I just know it was Iraq he ends up deployed too. That was the only  thing  that had an effect that didn't  annoy me. Sorry  I don't  feel sad about Luka and his dead wife, of course that was what he was going to say.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, desertflower said:

Me too. I remember they used it in the movie 50 First Dates and I started crying. My husband still loves bringing up the fact that I cried at an Adam Sandler movie. I had to explain, ONE, it's sad Drew Barrymore doesn't remember her child when she wakes up everyday, and TWO, Mark Greene died to that song, dammit!! Lol. 

Gah!  I cry during that part of the movie, too (and, it's an Adam Sandler movie I actually kinda like!).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kathy42977 said:

I wonder whose idea it was to have Carter confess he lost his virginity to their 25 year old maid when he was eleven.

Did the writers honestly think the viewers would find it cool?

And I have seen two men fight over a woman on tv many times. But I must say ER managed to make  me cringe even more  by having Carter and Luka fight a "duel" with real swords about their jealousy over Abby.

Horrible, horrible behavior from both Susan and Abby; both of whom should certainly know about Carter's brother, but, even if they didn't, their smug assumption that he couldn't possibly have had any difficulties in his childhood since his family had money was incredibly immature.  Abby went to the house when his grandfather died and met his mother; surely she didn't see their relationship as warm and cozy.  Susan met Gamma who was hardly soft and cuddly, either.

And, anyone who thinks an 11 year old is capable of a consensual relationship with a 25 year old needs a seminar on sexual harassment at the very least.  As I recall, Carter's brother died when he was around 10 and we've repeatedly heard how his parents distanced themselves from him afterwards; he was clearly a vulnerable little kid.  For the two of them to sit there and laugh and joke about it (and for Luka and Gallant to sit there and say nothing) was absolutely inexcusable.  They are all mandated reporters for God's sake and should've immediately understood what really happened.  

Worst episode ever, in my book.  The pissing contest between Luka and Carter, over sour CrAbby no less, was another lowlight.  TPTB were apparently setting it up for us to realize that Luka was the one who 'deserved' her; for my money, she was the booby prize, but it gets even more obvious that the showrunners thought Abby was just the smartest, prettiest, sexiest, bestest ever.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Abby went to the house when his grandfather died and met his mother; surely she didn't see their relationship as warm and cozy.

That reminds me - I liked when Abby told Carter his mom was there at the ER (when she came in with the little boy) and said something like, "She seems much nicer today."

I also liked Susan's compassion for Eleanor, not knowing her -- she reacted to Carter's stories like the average person would hearing about a stranger in a story, and those responses (to learning about the divorce, to hearing about her getting sick on wine and pills, etc.) gave Carter a little food for thought, without it being a situation where she dismissed his experiences.  It just made him think, "Oh, yeah - your husband leaving you after 30 years has to be upsetting, regardless of circumstances," "Puking your guts out in front of your son because you lost control would be embarrassing," etc. 

I had a shit ton to do today (and do for the rest of the week, but I need to make sure I watch Mark die -- does anyone know when that will air?), plus was distracted by indictment coverage, so I didn't even have the second and third episodes on in the background.  I knew that meant I was missing the sexual harassment seminar shenanigans, and was none too sad about it.  Assholes.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That reminds me - I liked when Abby told Carter his mom was there at the ER (when she came in with the little boy) and said something like, "She seems much nicer today."

I also liked Susan's compassion for Eleanor, not knowing her -- she reacted to Carter's stories like the average person would hearing about a stranger in a story, and those responses (to learning about the divorce, to hearing about her getting sick on wine and pills, etc.) gave Carter a little food for thought, without it being a situation where she dismissed his experiences.  It just made him think, "Oh, yeah - your husband leaving you after 30 years has to be upsetting, regardless of circumstances," "Puking your guts out in front of your son because you lost control would be embarrassing," etc. 

I had a shit ton to do today (and do for the rest of the week, but I need to make sure I watch Mark die -- does anyone know when that will air?), plus was distracted by indictment coverage, so I didn't even have the second and third episodes on in the background.  I knew that meant I was missing the sexual harassment seminar shenanigans, and was none too sad about it.  Assholes.

Tomorrow's first episode should be 'Orion in the Sky' which is Mark's last day working in the ER and my personal favorite of the storyline.  The first episode on Wednesday should be 'On the Beach' which is his final episode, set in Hawaii.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I had a shit ton to do today (and do for the rest of the week, but I need to make sure I watch Mark die -- does anyone know when that will air?),

Yes, it is the first episode airing on Wednesday afternoon (3:00 PM , my time zone).  And these will cycle through on Saturdays, on an increasing delay, as they are only showing six episodes (then repeating) on Saturdays now.  So, the lag between weekday and Saturday seasons increases significantly each week. 

1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

Tomorrow's first episode should be 'Orion in the Sky' which is Mark's last day working in the ER and my personal favorite of the storyline.  The first episode on Wednesday should be 'On the Beach' which is his final episode, set in Hawaii.

Posted at the same moment!

• Love 1

Watching the good memories of Season 5 Monday night, and I just love the scene where Mark and Elizabeth do an impromptu ultrasound of Carol and learn she is having twins -- before she knows.  The looks on their faces as they stare at the images are wonderful.  And Teri Garr, earlier in the episode, smirking at Carol with the same knowledge (via her character's "medical empathy"), was another treat. 

But arrggh, the lost little boy that Kerry found?  It turns out he had been kidnapped three weeks earlier.  But no one was on alert for a little boy, no pictures posted or in the news, and we are supposed to believe that none of the police officers even thought to connect this found boy to the kidnapped boy for an entire day? 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

And, anyone who thinks an 11 year old is capable of a consensual relationship with a 25 year old needs a seminar on sexual harassment at the very least. As I recall, Carter's brother died when he was around 10 and we've repeatedly heard how his parents distanced themselves from him afterwards; he was clearly a vulnerable little kid. For the two of them to sit there and laugh and joke about it (and for Luka and Gallant to sit there and say nothing) was absolutely inexcusable. They are all mandated reporters for God's sake and should've immediately understood what really happened.

What the hell was that!? And then a second later it was glossed over as "All you have to do is be younger than 11 to win"!? If an 11 year old patient came into the hospital with a sexually transmitted disease he'd contracted from a 20-something year old, the staff would be horrified. The narrative the show chose to take with regards to Carter were baffling and gross.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, justduckey said:

I forgot Peter came back for an episode. I heard his voice and looked up as was like wait didn’t we say goodbye to you in a previous episode?

Starting Secreta and Lies now. Bracing myself.

Did he appear in the episode before Secrets and Lies? My dvr messed up on that one and it cut off early in the episode. Remind me why Peter was there?

Secrets and Lies was definitely a low moment, for the series and for Carter. He was really unlikable and so transparently jealous of Luka. "Luka, do you remember any of Hamlet?" Carter: "Ooh, ooh, I do, I do! Call on me!" And I'm still bothered by his remark to Luka that he doesn't want to go to Croatia because there's a good chance he'll get blown up. Did he know Luka's entire family died in a bombing? If he did it was a horrible thing to say.

Romano telling Elizabeth she needs to go back to Mark is a powerful scene. And her taking care of Mark in the bathroom made me tear up. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Zoe said:

Abby's reasoning for not going back to med school was BS.  Did the writers mistake her for Carol or something?

Abby is pretty consistently incapable of realizing the truth about herself, let alone speaking it.  Her reverse-snobbery towards her 'friends' who had finished medical school and were practicing physicians was also awful.  Ridiculing Carter, Luka and Susan because they wanted to be doctors and actually achieved that goal, especially when everyone knows that the reason she dropped out of school was lack of funds, was really terrible behavior on her part.  And Susan's inquiry as to why someone would borrow the money to go to med school for 3 years and then drop out and return to nursing is a pretty valid one.  It doesn't happen that often, and, considering she would've been in the hole for about 6 figures by then; it made no sense not to finish. Then, of course, there was also her shrewish behavior in a previous eppy when Luka wanted to help her return to med school after she had completed the application.

As for her comments that they were snobs because they looked down at Gallant's family for being military, well, Abby already knew Luka had served in the Army in Croatia and certainly Susan's comments about her family and upbringing made it pretty clear that they were solidly lower middle class. They found it unusual that everyone in the family except his sister with CP had joined up; most people would find any family where everyone had the same career to be unique.  And, considering how she snickered at Carter's molestation; she had no reason to be calling anybody out on their behavior. Both Susan and Abby were also completely obnoxious about Carter's family's money; it isn't like they robbed banks to earn it and he didn't choose his family anymore than they did theirs. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, desertflower said:

Did he appear in the episode before Secrets and Lies? My dvr messed up on that one and it cut off early in the episode. Remind me why Peter was there?

Secrets and Lies was definitely a low moment, for the series and for Carter. He was really unlikable and so transparently jealous of Luka. "Luka, do you remember any of Hamlet?" Carter: "Ooh, ooh, I do, I do! Call on me!" And I'm still bothered by his remark to Luka that he doesn't want to go to Croatia because there's a good chance he'll get blown up. Did he know Luka's entire family died in a bombing? If he did it was a horrible thing to say.

Romano telling Elizabeth she needs to go back to Mark is a powerful scene. And her taking care of Mark in the bathroom made me tear up. 

Peter was in the episode prior to Secrets and Lies.  He hadn't finished all of his surgical dictations at County and Romano told Corday it was now her responsibility to get them done (wouldn't happen in the real world, but I digress).  Anyway, she and Benton met up outside the hospital (literally standing outside in the cold by the river) and he helped her with the cases and they discussed how Ella was doing post OD as well as the fragile state of her marriage.  It was a very nice scene.

The whole point of Secrets and Lies was to build Luka up and knock Carter down and set up their stupid rivalry over Abby.  It had the opposite effect on me.  They all behaved like jackasses including Carter with the insensitive remarks about Croatia when he couldn't help to have known about Luka's wife and kids; Luka had worked there for more than 2 years and everybody else knew.

The scene between Romano and Elizabeth in the lounge was just beautifully done; a real example of the kind of depth of character the show could achieve in its best moments.  The look on his face as Elizabeth sobs about Mark's impending death was just heartbreaking.  It really added a human dimension to Romano who could've become a cartoon without that kind of scene.

• Love 9

Thanks for filling me in doodlebug, I do kind of remember that scene with Peter. 

Re: Romano, that is why he was such a great character. Just when you thought you knew him he did something surprising like sign to Reese or act like a caring human being toward Elizabeth. Paul McCrane knocked every single scene he had out of the park. (Well, let's not speak of the final helicopter scene; that wasn't his fault!) 

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Thanks for filling me in doodlebug, I do kind of remember that scene with Peter. 

Re: Romano, that is why he was such a great character. Just when you thought you knew him he did something surprising like sign to Reese or act like a caring human being toward Elizabeth. Paul McCrane knocked every single scene he had out of the park. (Well, let's not speak of the final helicopter scene; that wasn't his fault!) 

He had numerous shining moments in the last few episodes with Lucy, too; both before and after the stabbing.  His insistence on closing her chest wound himself after she died was an emotionally devastating scene in an episode that was full of them.

• Love 7

It was a leap to see Paul McCrane as Romano, when I'd only known him as the gentle teen musician Montgomery in Fame.

Pratt's cancer patient is the same actor who did a similar plotline on Scrubs.  He played a sitcom writer who was diagnosed, then died, on the same ep.  It caused J.D. to fantasize that Sacred Heart was an 80s sitcom, complete with laughtrack.

• Love 1

Both Susan and Abby were also completely obnoxious about Carter's family's money; it isn't like they robbed banks to earn it and he didn't choose his family anymore than they did theirs. 

Its also completely tone deaf.  After everything Carter has been through they mock him about having money?  Let's see what didn't Carter's money do for him:

1.  Didn't keep his brother from dying;

2.  Didn't make his parents give a damn about him and stick around;

3.  Didn't keep his cousin from suffering brain damage;

4.  Didn't keep Carter from nearly being killed and watching his med student basically bleed out;

5.  Didn't keep Carter from a drug addiction.

I mean after everything he had been through the only thing Carter had going for him was not having to worry about paying his bills - which for a while there he had to do too when he was cut off from his trust fund. 

I really despised Secrets and Lies.  It did none of the characters any favors.  

• Love 9

It's a good thing I haven't  had any trick or treaters yet or I would  have opened the door misty-eyed after Orion in The Sky.

Hopefully Carter reading the letter won't be interrupted. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, voiceover said:

The close-up of Laura Innes' Kerry reading Mark's letter -- just gutting.  Almost the hardest thing for me to watch in a very tough ep.

Damn, damn, damn.  I was just minutes too late to see that, and I can't find it online.  But Carter reading the letter is available.  The look on his face when he reads Elizabeth's addendum, and the look on Susan's when she - still watching him, while everyone else has started chatting - realizes what he's reading -- great stuff!

• Love 6

I was ready for Kerry reading  the letter being hard but it was more than I had anticipated.  This is my first time seeing  it since a few years ago before I got a call from a friend telling me a friend passed away, someone else who found out first made a freaking Facebook status about it, supposedly thinking it was helpful, and that was how I found out just going about my day and signing on (I don't blame my friend who was having trouble making the calls and took her time,  but the person who did that has been on my shit list since.) It's not the exact same situation  but I think the letter should have been posted after all the main staff was told. Yeah everyone found out via the letter but it's different going about your day walking in the door and seeing it posted as opposed to reading it right from the fax.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gigi43 said:

It's a good thing I haven't  had any trick or treaters yet or I would  have opened the door misty-eyed after Orion in The Sky.

I was just about to post the same thing. I may have to spread out the next few episodes. The scene between him and Jen at the diner had me sobbing. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This kind of thing is hard to pull off well, but they nailed Carter coming outside to give Gallant the same talk Mark had given him.

I liked how they even got the reflection in the puddle.  You're right -- felt like closing a circle.  Not heavy-handed.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, voiceover said:

I liked how they even got the reflection in the puddle.  You're right -- felt like closing a circle.  Not heavy-handed.

For me, it worked because they let it stand on its own; they didn't have Carter say, "You know, I got sick on my first day, and Dr. Greene told me ..."  They just started with the same shot, had Carter say the same things, and relied on the audience to pick up that we'd heard this before.

• Love 9

And when Greene said goodbye to Carter at the end of "Orion in the Sky," he said "You set the tone," a refrain from the early days.  I think I just saw that episode for the first time, and I will give credit to the writers for not writing a maudlin farewell. 

Also wrenching in "The Letter" was watching Weaver watch Romano frozen and reading the letter at the bulletin board.   The loss and dismay were really well handled in this episode. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Damn, damn, damn.  I was just minutes too late to see that, and I can't find it online.  But Carter reading the letter is available.  The look on his face when he reads Elizabeth's addendum, and the look on Susan's when she - still watching him, while everyone else has started chatting - realizes what he's reading -- great stuff!

This will be rerun in about two or three weeks on Saturday.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

For me, it worked because they let it stand on its own; they didn't have Carter say, "You know, I got sick on my first day, and Dr. Greene told me ..."  They just started with the same shot, had Carter say the same things, and relied on the audience to pick up that we'd heard this before.

And, as a doctor who learned as a student and resident and then attendings from all the other generous folks who worked with me and spent their time teaching me; it was wonderful to see Carter using some of the tools Mark gave him and passing them along to the next generation.

As a medical student, one of my mentors was an OB/GYN resident a couple years ahead of me.  He was one of the ones who inspired me to choose the specialty and then, when I entered the same residency he was in, taught me so many things as one of my senior residents.  Ironically, he died of a glioblastoma a couple weeks before he would've finished the residency.  I think of him sometimes when I'm doing stuff he taught me 35 years ago.  These episodes remind me of how lucky I was to have such great teachers and to try to do my best when teaching students and residents myself.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, voiceover said:

Pratt's cancer patient is the same actor who did a similar plotline on Scrubs.  He played a sitcom writer who was diagnosed, then died, on the same ep.  It caused J.D. to fantasize that Sacred Heart was an 80s sitcom, complete with laughtrack.

He's also in that United Health (?) commercial with all the TV doctors.  Weird there aren't any ER doctors...

Ooh, Ricky from My So Called Life!

6 minutes ago, Zoe said:

He's also in that United Health (?) commercial with all the TV doctors.  Weird there aren't any ER doctors...

Noah Wyle was in the first set of commercials, but was replaced by Neil Patrick Harris in the next set. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Noah Wyle was in the first set of commercials, but was replaced by Neil Patrick Harris in the next set. 

The commercials were for Cigna and he wasn't really replaced; the makers of the ad used an entirely different set of TV doctors for the next round of ads.  Noah appeared in the original ads along with Alan Alda (M*A*S*H), Patrick Dempsey (Gray's Anatomy), Lisa Edelstein (House) and Donald Faison (Scrubs).  Faison is the only one to appear in the next set of commercials for Cigna.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jjj said:

And when Greene said goodbye to Carter at the end of "Orion in the Sky," he said "You set the tone," a refrain from the early days.  

Morgenstern said it to Mark in the pilot ep, referring to reax in the ER when Hathaway was brought in after she tried to commit suicide.

Then Carter said it to...whoever was chief res?...when he left.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Morgenstern said it to Mark in the pilot ep, referring to reax in the ER when Hathaway was brought in after she tried to commit suicide.

Then Carter said it to...whoever was chief res?...when he left.  

Carter says it to Morris.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The commercials were for Cigna and he wasn't really replaced; the makers of the ad used an entirely different set of TV doctors for the next round of ads.  Noah appeared in the original ads along with Alan Alda (M*A*S*H), Patrick Dempsey (Gray's Anatomy), Lisa Edelstein (House) and Donald Faison (Scrubs).  Faison is the only one to appear in the next set of commercials for Cigna.  

Patrick Dempsey is in the new set that has the cancer guy playing his father.

(trouble  inserting the post to which this responds!)

The last we hear from Chloe in "ER" is in "The Letter," when she calls Susan in the ER and tells her she is in a treatment program and Susie is living with Joe.   When Susan leaves ER again, she goes to Iowa for a job, not to NYC.   Zoe (below) has linked to the cross-over episode with "Third Watch," which has all of the search for Susie and drama with Chloe, who eventually leaves again, as we hear when Susan is back in Chicago.  The call about the treatment program is in a later episode, "The Letter". 

Edited by jjj