Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Since I quit watching 'ER' during ts first run around season 11, all of the episodes that I've been watching lately are all new to me.  I watched a season 15 episode this morning called 'The long, strange journey', which was the one with the elderly John Doe who wandered into the ER after being mugged.  When Dr. Morgenstern showed up, it was revealed that the man (Morgenstern's mentor) had been the doctor who had basically revolutionized emergency medicine years before (he had literally wrote the book on ER medicine).  It was a really good episode, and the scenes that showed his point of view of what was going on around him (he saw everything and everybody in a late-60s style of clothing, equipment, etc.) were excellent and touching.  His story was sad, but it was also a good story (and was kind of fitting that he died in an ER trauma room--that he had designed--surrounded by people who appreciated what he had done for them).  And, the doctor was played by Rance Howard, which is always a bonus.  

That was an excellent episode, especially as part of the last season and a 'summing up'.  It was a good reminder of just how new ER medicine was as a specialty and how far they had come in the intervening years.  It was also a fitting way to bring Morgenstern back to bridge the gap between the old and the new.  Another great reminder of just how much medicine has changed and progressed was that the elderly doc recognized military TB, undoubtedly having seen it many times while the younger docs didn't.

That story reminded me of one of my trips to Peru where I did medical care in very remote areas.  We would go to various rural clinics and see patients.  Oftentimes, the local docs would find out we were coming and try to arrange for their more challenging patients to come and see us.  One doctor heard I was an OB and had a woman come into the clinic who was pregnant with advanced TB, she looked like a scarecrow, she was so wasted.  He wanted to know how we treated advanced TB in pregnancy in the US.  The answer is, we don't, I've never seen a case here.  Luckily, I had a Peruvian medical student with me as a translator and she had just taken boards and knew exactly how to treat it.  Even luckier, the doc in the mountains was doing all the right things for the woman even before we got there. I was lucky he didn't speak English and didn't know the student was teaching me and not vice versa.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Since I quit watching 'ER' during ts first run around season 11, all of the episodes that I've been watching lately are all new to me.  I watched a season 15 episode this morning called 'The long, strange journey', which was the one with the elderly John Doe who wandered into the ER after being mugged.  When Dr. Morgenstern showed up, it was revealed that the man (Morgenstern's mentor) had been the doctor who had basically revolutionized emergency medicine years before (he had literally wrote the book on ER medicine).  It was a really good episode, and the scenes that showed his point of view of what was going on around him (he saw everything and everybody in a late-60s style of clothing, equipment, etc.) were excellent and touching.  His story was sad, but it was also a good story (and was kind of fitting that he died in an ER trauma room--that he had designed--surrounded by people who appreciated what he had done for them).  And, the doctor was played by Rance Howard, which is always a bonus.  

I'm watching season 12 and don't remember most for same reason. Body and Soul with James Woods playing an ALS patient who sees his life in flashbacks seems like it will be a good one also. Watching that tomorrow. I also didn't like it as much at this point but tuned in when I could or old cast paid a visit. I'm looking forward to some gems in the future.

• Love 1

I also didn't like it as much at this point but tuned in when I could or old cast paid a visit. I'm looking forward to some gems in the future.

I had some issues with the seasons after Carter left.  I just couldn't get interested in the new doctors/nurses.  I didn't realize that John Stamos was on for so long.  For some reason, I thought he was just on there for one season.  I didn't like Archie Morris at first and the Australian doctor--Brenner (or as Morris speculated, Anspaugh's 'love child'.  Hee!), but they have grown on me.  Morris turned out to be a good doctor (who sometimes veered into 'say something stupid' territory) and Brenner evolved from being a creepy scuzzball to a much nicer person.  I'm glad I stuck with it until those characters got better.  I'm not sure about Angela Bassett's Dr. Banfield.  I alternate between wanting her to lose the Grouch of the Year face that she seems to wear most of the time and liking her as the head of the department.  Unfortunately, I never warmed up to Sam the nurse.  She always seemed to have a chip on her shoulder, and in the few times that she acted happy, you knew that it wouldn't last.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

I had some issues with the seasons after Carter left.  I just couldn't get interested in the new doctors/nurses.  I didn't realize that John Stamos was on for so long.  For some reason, I thought he was just on there for one season.  I didn't like Archie Morris at first and the Australian doctor--Brenner (or as Morris speculated, Anspaugh's 'love child'.  Hee!), but they have grown on me.  Morris turned out to be a good doctor (who sometimes veered into 'say something stupid' territory) and Brenner evolved from being a creepy scuzzball to a much nicer person.  I'm glad I stuck with it until those characters got better.  I'm not sure about Angela Bassett's Dr. Banfield.  I alternate between wanting her to lose the Grouch of the Year face that she seems to wear most of the time and liking her as the head of the department.  Unfortunately, I never warmed up to Sam the nurse.  She always seemed to have a chip on her shoulder, and in the few times that she acted happy, you knew that it wouldn't last.  

So, Sam was another Abby then?

Honestly, Carol, Abby and Sam were all often grouchy as fuck. Not that you have to be super chipper nurse but damn. 

It's funny, I'm in season 10 now. I remember this shit like it was yesterday. Season 10 was the first season I watched lived. Discovered the show via tnt after finishing college. I knew the show existed but I never have medical shows a chance until ER.

It's hard watching the show in hindsight now. Like watching Pratt making the consious effort to stay at county knowing how things end. Gallant going into the war zone. Things like that. 

It took a while but it was cool seeing the women main cast members be actual friends. Carol being crabby all the time kind of made that hard.

I feel like most of the shit Susan says upon her return should be followed by a rimshot sound. Why do they write her so jokey? And her constant men are the worst talk is tiring.

I'm glad Glenn moved onto it's always sunny but I loved Coop. He was like a more competent Malucci. I don't think Malucci was actually bad. Just too lazy for his own good.

I honestly think it would have been great if they wrote off Luka as regular after he stayed in Africa.

I hate the Africa episodes the most out of the episode detours the show liked to take.

Season 9 got a little too cute with episode structure. A episode told backwards and a episode doing to plots in tandem?

The fact that Randi still pops up at all in season 10 still blows my mind. Thought she was gone before then.

I'm still not totally sure why Carter and Abby broke up. It's funny though that Carter was warned multiple times that Abbys life would swallow them whole and it did.

You guys were right in that the Abby family drama sucked up season 9 whole.

I wish Gallant could have been able to grow into a leadership role on the show. He was one of my favorites.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

So, Sam was another Abby then?

I honestly think it would have been great if they wrote off Luka as regular after he stayed in Africa.

I'm still not totally sure why Carter and Abby broke up. It's funny though that Carter was warned multiple times that Abbys life would swallow them whole and it did.

Yep, Sam was another Abby, including the ever changing hairstyles. Abby wins in that aspect, but Sam put up a good fight. 

I never liked Luka (except when Carol was being a pooper to him in season 6. "OMG you really ARE angry!" Ugh, GTFO Carol, oh wait you finally did). I'm not a fan of dark broody men with thick accents I guess, ha. I remember I hated reading the TWOP recaps because they kept farting all over everything Carter did and how he looked because he wasn't Luka. Like they wouldn't stop drooling over the dude in their recaps. We get it, your panties are perpetually wet when Luka's onscreen, geez.

Carter and Abby broke up because the two of them were the perfect recipe for disaster. They were better off as friends. Truthfully, their relationship kind of reminded me of one of my early relationships. My best guy friend and I started dating after we had witnessed each other's previous relationships and after I had gone through some really depressing dark times but unfortunately our relationship didn't last long because even after I was doing well, I still felt like he kept trying to fix me and I didn't feel like I needed any more fixing, not that it was anything he could or should do anyway. I felt like I could never measure up to what he wanted and he felt like he couldn't make me happy even when I *was* happy, so things didn't work out. At least Carter and Abby stayed friends after some time, unlike me and my ex, LOL!

Still, I don't think Luka was a good match for her either. Except since they both annoyed me, I figured why not, go ahead and just date each other, you broody dark people.

• Love 1

I find it funny watching it so quickly and not with weeks in between, that the women always seem so cranky and stereotyped. They have my a small male pool to pick from since seeing anyone off the main roster isn't done often but my younger daughter will laugh watching it sporadically, "Isn't Carter with Abby, what happened to the doctor, why is Luka with Abby now?" It is a whirlwind watching this way. I felt Abby was a bit over the top with her anxiety and angst but I liked her overall. We just couldn't have a happy scene baby shopping for instance without her worrying about the pregnancy, then a happy scene again, then her waking up Luka with anxiety about pregnancy. A bit tiring.

Sam seemed the most misused character, she was there just for the drama of her ex husband and kid issues. They always drag a young boy it seems (as with Doug's old girlfriend) into a relationship where he loves the guy but they break up and he's torn again into another move or relationship with his mom. Sam and Luka might have communicated badly but that was on her too, her anger about not wanting more children, her anger toward Luka in that silly therapy session, seemed out of character and out of the blue. This guy , an ER doc who never seems to have to work, takes off at a moments notice for her, I can't find my kid, my kids been suspended, my kid is ill, takes her across the country to find him and she's so unappreciative.  Something about that seemed very off.  I do like how they segued back to Abby but I was hoping for less angst. Luka's perpetually dark apartment suited them both. ; )

As a Mom of 3, including twins, I thought they baby references constantly being negative was a bit much too but it is TV and having a good baby whom you loved doesn't make for drama. Susan is always complaining about Cosmo and how she would rather be at work, Henry is hardly ever mentioned except when Carrie sends Jerry out in a storm to get a present.  The twins of course were always crying, teething or keeping Carol up, poor Carter couldn't have a child who lived, Reese was the best but had to be born deaf (which was an education on options at the time) Sam's son is troubled and has a whirlwind of serious issues during the series.  Dr Green's daughter turned troubled and almost killed his new baby.  My friend calls it "TV birth control" lol

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Also it was total character assassination to have Susan name her baby Cosmo. Like really? Where did that even come from?

Susan, upon return, is a almost constant joke machine so it kind of fits to give her child such a goofy name.

Ramano, as a person, always bugs but he makes me stabby once he's put in the ER.

Ramano in this current landscape with sexual harassment being taken more seriously and offensive behavior being taken to task more commonly would be amazing to see.

As annoying as grumpy Sam can be, her going apeshit and ripping off Ramano's fake hand after he grabbed her butt with it was hilarious.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Also it was total character assassination to have Susan name her baby Cosmo. Like really? Where did that even come from?

Well, like I said, TPTB gave Abby Susan's old life, so they turned her into a party gal idiot in Round 2. Sucks. I loved Early Susan.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, like I said, TPTB gave Abby Susan's old life, so they turned her into a party gal idiot in Round 2. Sucks. I loved Early Susan.

She did change a lot, so ditzy later. You find out she married a guy on a whim, they get in annulled and then they get married again? The early her was much more interesting. I think Carol could have been, if they didn't have her pining after Doug or in the Tag drama. She could have been a power to recon with sans the boyfriends.

I don't know why felt the need to kill so many off after Green, ratings might go up but then it's maudlin. I'm glad the ER in my hospital kept the doc and nurses alive and with all their body parts for my time there, I would start to think something was in the water. : p

I really liked Body and Soul with James Woods. Sad but "real" and I enjoyed the flashbacks, especially the one with Abby at the end.

Edited by debraran

For those who just cannot get enough of Sally Field as Maggie Wyczynski and Maura Tierney as Abby Lockhart, worlds' worst daughter; Pop TV is running a marathon of Maggie eppies on Monday starting at 9 AM and running until 6 PM.  They're calling it Sally Field Day and it looks like it encompasses all of the Maggie episodes up to Abby's brother's disappearance.  I'll be sitting this one out.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

For those who just cannot get enough of Sally Field as Maggie Wyczynski and Maura Tierney as Abby Lockhart, worlds' worst daughter; Pop TV is running a marathon of Maggie eppies on Monday starting at 9 AM and running until 6 PM.  They're calling it Sally Field Day and it looks like it encompasses all of the Maggie episodes up to Abby's brother's disappearance.  I'll be sitting this one out.

This is one of those days I'm sort of glad Spectrum dropped Pop from the basic cable tier! (Now one has to pay extra to get the channel.)

(edited)
23 minutes ago, Camille said:

Indeed. Of all the possible marathon topics, why would they choose that one?

Let's design our ideal marathons.  How about one with memorable patients?   Or best of each of the original cast members?  Or best disaster episodes?  (Blizzard, Exodus, The Crossing...)   Hell's bells, a marathon starting with Be Still My Heart through the stabbing and its aftermath would be a welcome revisit to one of the most memorable story arcs in TV history.

A Sally Field/Abby Miserython doesn't make the cut for me, ever.

It's MEMORIAL DAY, surely there was a more memorable topic for a marathon than Sally Field Day.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4

It would have made sense, given how many kick-ass actors guest starred as the mothers of main characters, to do a Mother's Day marathon of which Maggie was just one part, along with the Eleanor Carter arc (anything that puts Mary McDonnell on my screen gets a thumbs up from me), Piper Laurie's appearance as Doug's mom, Beach Richards's life and death as Peter's mom, same with Bonnie Bartlett as Mark's mom, Corday's mom's visit (Judy Parfitt), etc. 

But what the hell about Sally Field/Maggie Whatever says Memorial Day?  They should have done a Gallant marathon if they wanted to make it topical, but he's so dull no one would want to watch a whole day of his episodes.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:21 AM, Bastet said:

It would have made sense, given how many kick-ass actors guest starred as the mothers of main characters, to do a Mother's Day marathon of which Maggie was just one part, along with the Eleanor Carter arc (anything that puts Mary McDonnell on my screen gets a thumbs up from me), Piper Laurie's appearance as Doug's mom, Beach Richards's life and death as Peter's mom, same with Bonnie Bartlett as Mark's mom, Corday's mom's visit (Judy Parfitt), etc. 

But what the hell about Sally Field/Maggie Whatever says Memorial Day?  They should have done a Gallant marathon if they wanted to make it topical, but he's so dull no one would want to watch a whole day of his episodes.

Ahem.

I'm not down for the Gallant bashing. He was always a breath of fresh air amongst the constant stream of knuckleheads coming in in later seasons. I've come to appreciate people that just do their damn jobs. His friendship with Pratt was fun too.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Ahem.

I'm not down for the Gallant bashing. He was always a breath of fresh air amongst the constant stream of knuckleheads coming in in later seasons. I've to appreciate people that just do their damn jobs. His friendship with Pratt was fun too.

The main problem with Gallant was that the focus of the show had shifted away from 'normal' people carrying out their jobs while dealing with personal life issues into focus on totally messed up doctors and nurses bringing their bizarre personal lives to work with them.  Gallant was too 'good', too 'normal' for the show and, also, he never got enough front burner storylines to make for a good marathon, IMO.  Maybe a mini-marathon of 4-5 episodes.

Edited by doodlebug

Didn't they ditch the character because of the utter lack of charisma or presence by the actor?  I've read that, but it may well have just been supposition based on how bland he is - assuming that must be the reason the character was written out.  But being dull as dishwater certainly didn't lead them to get rid of Michael Michele with any quickness, although I guess Gallant was around for a while, too.  It's hard for me to imagine how either of them were cast in the first place; their line readings during audition must have been like they were in the show.  Maybe the dullness didn't really show up until they were amidst the rest of the cast.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Didn't they ditch the character because of the utter lack of charisma or presence by the actor?  I've read that, but it may well have just been supposition based on how bland he is - assuming that must be the reason the character was written out.  But being dull as dishwater certainly didn't lead them to get rid of Michael Michele with any quickness, although I guess Gallant was around for a while, too.  It's hard for me to imagine how either of them were cast in the first place; their line readings during audition must have been like they were in the show.  Maybe the dullness didn't really show up until they were amidst the rest of the cast.

I heard they got rid of Gallant because the actor (Sharif Atkins) wasn't good enough.  I think the reason we were saddled with the Cleobot was because she was brought on board specifically for Benton, one of the original cast members, and Eriq LaSalle had gone on record as wanting an African American partner for Benton.  If they canned her, it would mean hiring another actress and would also mean another failed relationship with a black woman for Benton.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/27/2018 at 11:21 PM, Bastet said:

But what the hell about Sally Field/Maggie Whatever says Memorial Day?

Well, if the purpose of Memorial Day is for us to remember, and remember is the same thing as "stuck in our brains forever, no matter how much we'd love to forget" then Maggie/Abby episodes are definitely Memorial Day material.

Edited by BigBeagle
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I heard they got rid of Gallant because the actor (Sharif Atkins) wasn't good enough.  I think the reason we were saddled with the Cleobot was because she was brought on board specifically for Benton, one of the original cast members, and Eriq LaSalle had gone on record as wanting an African American partner for Benton.  If they canned her, it would mean hiring another actress and would also mean another failed relationship with a black woman for Benton.

They also got rid of Michael Michele right before Eric LaSalle left which proves what her sole purpose was.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sharif went to an new show but it didn't last that long and then White Collar was his next biggest show after one time roles. He did say he was a rookie on ER, a learning curve but I thought his scripts were awful. His best shows were helping people in the ER that he connected with and the one of his first with Weaver when they went to a huge car/ambulance crash in a thunderstorm. He rose to the occasion on that one and he and Weaver clicked.

They made the characters have so many over the top issues that Gallant seemed even more boring, but he was really just "normal" . When they had him reenlist you just knew what was going to happen and what the writers wanted, it was only a matter of time. I felt the character never would rush Neela to marry him and then leave her though, it just seemed off.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

I didn't mind Gallant, but the show just had too many people with too many issues and he got sidelined. I actually didn't mind having a normal-ish character like him on the show, but I feel like they used him as Pratt's sidekick and foil (I seriously couldn't stand Pratt and was not a fan of Mekhi Phifer).

Michael Michele was the worst cast person on the show though, IMO. I've seen dead goldfish who could emote better than her. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I didn't mind Gallant, but the show just had too many people with too many issues and he got sidelined. I actually didn't mind having a normal-ish character like him on the show, but I feel like they used him as Pratt's sidekick and foil (I seriously couldn't stand Pratt and was not a fan of Mekhi Phifer).

Michael Michele was the worst cast person on the show though, IMO. I've seen dead goldfish who could emote better than her. 

I agree, I wish Jeanne was cast as a PA without a husband or HIV and they would have clicked more than Cleo for sure.  Pratt had a hardness that made it difficult to warm up to him. Even with his bio dad, he made it real,he wasn't going to do the "everything is okay" now song, but the emotions again felt just angry and I didn't feel it the way I did other similar scenarios on ER

Up to season 12 on the rewatch

I'm trying to figure out how I blocked out all of Luka and Sam's relationship. Like I legit only remembered her with Stamos. They were not great together either. Almost every episode was Sam getting mad about something and Luka being like what is your problem? Also, you know you are fucked when you are going to a therapist together and your not even engaged. Damn. Sam was cold too. Luka ran around state to state trying to find Alex and she dumps him before they even get home. I mean, you can't force what's not there but her timing was shit.

I fucking hate Alex all over again. For fucks sake. Especially in the beginning. He's always in the fucking ER. Go home you little shit!

This is my main issue with calling Gallant bashing. We barely knew him. There is this weird thing where a bunch of regulars are barely ever fucking around. How many episodes over a two season stand did Susan, Carter, Gallant, Corday or Chen do before they bounced. Chen is the worst offender. I have no idea what was going on with her at that time but a regular she was not by season 10. 

They buried a bunch of characters in favor of Abby and Luka.

Corday should have left when Mark died. Not because anyone deserves to be shelved because a actor they are tethered to leaves. But, because they literally had nothing for her when she came back.

Part of what bugs me too is that they would hardly use people and then literally push them out the door as quickly as possible. Gallant and Corday, in particular, were super abrupt.

I literally remember that I was into television without pity by season 10 and I remember how people were done when Ramano got attacked by a helicopter twice but super done when a tank found it's way to the ER. What's funny now is that it was honestly a rebounding moment for Morris since that whole thing was his fault. He actually began his redemptive arc after that becoming much more tolerable from episode to episode. 

I will give the show props for something in the later seasons. It becomes more of a actual hospital as time goes on. A teaching hospital. Once Abby jumps back into medical, we see a lot of actual learning and procedure that we didn't get before. 

Also, they ramped up the interesting but super sad patient cases. The one with the mother of three children that made her children jump out of a high window because she was seeing and hearing things in a altered state made me sick in particular.

I will say the thing I hate most about Pratt upon rewatch. He bitches and bitches to any and every authority figure but the second he has the chance to actually make change as chief resident, he doesn't want it. Which is also literally after a whole episode where he comes to terms with his career after a woman he's sleeping with doesn't want more because Pratt seems unmotivated. Then, he proceeds to prove her right.

Every woman in orbit drooling over Luka drives me mad. I don't mean to come off like a hater but damn. We get it show.

I'm in season 12. I remember thinking the woman with the 3 kids was a Law and Order show, they all blend after a while.  : )  That was sad.  I think Luka is handsome but not in the way they want you to see him. He was supposed to be like Doug but even Ross wasn't everyone's cup of tea.  I like brooding but him and his "bat cave" are a bit much. And although he hated the line as an actor, I still hear him telling Abby, ""You're not that pretty, you're not that special."   Maybe he isn't really that handsome either.

I never got Luka not wanting light in the apartment, even when Sam moved in, no wonder her son didn't do his homework, he couldn't see.  lol

I also thought when these previously brilliant writers had Romano's arm go and then have another helicopter kill him, they wanted the show to just end....and it didn't. How do you even talk about something like that? I also thought it was in bad taste to have Frank, who is always spewing something non-PC to say that was a happy day for him when he died recently. Actually he was much worse than Romano in his insults but Romano had more power.

I'm trying to watch Clemente episodes now but its hard. I just don't get what this whole scenario with him and his addictions and married girlfriend are supposed to do with the ER. Hanging in there but just started to use FF on occasion.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, debraran said:

I'm in season 12. I remember thinking the woman with the 3 kids was a Law and Order show, they all blend after a while.  : )  That was sad.  I think Luka is handsome but not in the way they want you to see him. He was supposed to be like Doug but even Ross wasn't everyone's cup of tea.  I like brooding but him and his "bat cave" are a bit much. And although he hated the line as an actor, I still hear him telling Abby, ""You're not that pretty, you're not that special."   Maybe he isn't really that handsome either.

I never got Luka not wanting light in the apartment, even when Sam moved in, no wonder her son didn't do his homework, he couldn't see.  lol

I also thought when these previously brilliant writers had Romano's arm go and then have another helicopter kill him, they wanted the show to just end....and it didn't. How do you even talk about something like that? I also thought it was in bad taste to have Frank, who is always spewing something non-PC to say that was a happy day for him when he died recently. Actually he was much worse than Romano in his insults but Romano had more power.

I'm trying to watch Clemente episodes now but its hard. I just don't get what this whole scenario with him and his addictions and married girlfriend are supposed to do with the ER. Hanging in there but just started to use FF on occasion.

Ha. I used fast forward on the search for Alex episode and the last Africa episode I saw. Not for all of it but for some of it. I jumped through all the Alex shit.

Also the amount of actor changes on this show and the recreating of previously on they had to do was hilarious. Alex, his father, Rachael, Reeses dad.

21 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

I always called the new Roger "Rena" since that's who he originally played on ER. I guess they assumed people couldn't remember he'd already guest-starred on ER before before they hired him as the new Roger. 

I don't think they thought about that stuff too much before dvd's and streaming. Also, he was at least kind of concealed.

What's funny is someone like Al Boulet. Michael Beach has two different characters in the ERverse since Third Watch and ER exist in the same world.

• Love 1

back to the topic of "marathons you'd vote to see"--for me it would be Christmas episodes (obviously show this in December). I'm not saying they are all good but generally ER seemed to have particularly good Christmas episodes. Or at least I like them. My next episode to watch for season 14 is the Christmas episode so I hope I like it--because 14 has been a downer season.

Speaking of season 14, with the disclaimer that I'm NOT trying to bring politics in here (and apologies if this got discussed earlier when most of the group watched season 14--I looked but could not find posts but I'll admit I did not carefully check 50 or so pages)----I just watched the season 14 episode, when Surfer Attending (blond doctor who joins as a temp; can't recall her name) gets unexpectedly made head of the ER by Anspaugh when Moretti leaves for his mentally ill son. She mentions to Sam that George Eliot was a woman, who chose a man's pen name because women didn't get the same credit. Sam responds "nothing has changed." and then they discuss how Surfer Attending is viewed as a bitch if she's strong in her ER chief role or weak if she's too nice. Then Sam responds "Ask Hillary Clinton". It was very bizarre watching this exchange in 2018. Just saying.

As far as Gallant, I always found him to be nice but he was very bland. I could not get into his character as I did with other people. Just flat. I liked Gant so much better.

I'm also a Pratt fan--not because he's perfect or without flaws but because he has a number of them and they never make him into a saint. He's got his issues but overall makes progress.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Ha. I used fast forward on the search for Alex episode and the last Africa episode I saw. Not for all of it but for some of it. I jumped through all the Alex shit.

Also the amount of actor changes on this show and the recreating of previously on they had to do was hilarious. Alex, his father, Rachael, Reeses dad.

Oh yes, the Alex "on the run" episode, definitely a FF. Would they find him, would he be kidnapped, killed, pass out? How many cops would almost see him?  Luka leaves the ER again to go on the run with her and then she leaves him and insults him while they wait outside a jail for her son to visit his dad she lied about.  Never liked Sam after that.  Writers had her turn so quickly.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

back to the topic of "marathons you'd vote to see"--for me it would be Christmas episodes (obviously show this in December). I'm not saying they are all good but generally ER seemed to have particularly good Christmas episodes. Or at least I like them. My next episode to watch for season 14 is the Christmas episode so I hope I like it--because 14 has been a downer season.

I would watch a Christmas episode marathon but for me it would have to be the early seasons and definitely include The Greatest of Gifts.   Love that episode.

7 hours ago, ch1 said:

I would watch a Christmas episode marathon but for me it would have to be the early seasons and definitely include The Greatest of Gifts.   Love that episode.

agree the earliest ones are the best. Which season is Greatest of Gifts? I really liked season 1.

that being said there is one late (maybe 12?) with Morris that is corny but all and all it was nice.

1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

agree the earliest ones are the best. Which season is Greatest of Gifts? I really liked season 1.

that being said there is one late (maybe 12?) with Morris that is corny but all and all it was nice.

Season 1 had a couple of episodes that were Christmasy in theme, Blizzard and The Gift are set in the season.  The Greatest of Gifts is an excellent one and it does harken back to earlier seasons in that it focuses on Carter and Chen and their friendship.  Maybe we could get a Christmas in July marathon?

I LOVED "Blizzard", from beginning to end. You had all the trauma later on, but it also had humor and whimsy at the beginning. Loved the director angles as Wendy roller bladed through the ER.

And Susan and Mark putting a cast on Carter as a joke...

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, justduckey said:

Blizzard is one of a handful of episodes I have saved on my DVR!

I remember watching Blizzard when it originally aired and thinking, 'Wow! This show is really great!'. Its the episode that made me fall in love with the show and still one of my favorite episodes of any TV show, ever.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I remember watching Blizzard when it originally aired and thinking, 'Wow! This show is really great!'. Its the episode that made me fall in love with the show and still one of my favorite episodes of any TV show, ever.

It was a great one. I want to re watch when I take a break from this season to see this: "When Dr Greene goes behind the admission counter and asks Jerry how the intercom works a boom mic is visible in the glass behind him when the camera pans to the right. Seconds later when the crew gathers at the end of the counter you can see a directors chair with someone sitting in it at the rear of the scene on the left side of the screen.  I missed that first time in re-watching it.

I recently saw the show where Carter hears this "One of Carol 's lines in this episode, "Hurry up, Carter , you've got a million things to do!" can be heard again in the Season 11 finale, "The Show Must Go On ," when Carter is remembering his early days in the hospital as he leaves the ER for the very last time"

I love "Blizzard". It was the first and best of the mass casualty episodes and back when TPTB were smart enough to only have one of those a season instead of literally every other week as they did in later years. 

The best marathon topic, IMO, would be a "Viewers Choice" one. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Camille said:

I love "Blizzard".

Oh, my goodness, yes. There is wall-to-wall greatness in this episode, but strangely enough, my favorite little part is a blink-and-you-miss-it scene at the end of the third or fourth act: The camera is panning around the chaos in the ER before it settles on Haleh comforting a small child. Gradually, all the sound except for Haleh's singing — and, boy, can she sing — is removed as we go to commercial.

Perfect. Simply perfect.

• Love 3

Thoughts after getting up to season 13 on rewatch.

I hate the new ER theme. Always did. Although, I understand why they dropped the opening credits in general. There is literal whole in the opening for season 12 with so many people leaving in season 11 and 12.

I remember being infuriated when Susan left the second time. One, because I was like you are leaving again randomly. Right in the middle of your arc of running the er? Second, because that was last og cast member and she's written off off screen? Come on.

Yeah I have to concede regarding Clemente. By the end of his arc I was like, kill this man. He's horrible.

What's with the statutory rape on this show? Extremely statutory among the crew. Like ages not defendable in any state. Ray with a 14 year old. Carter losing his virginity to a adult at 12. Sam hooking up with a guy in his 20s at 15. Blech.

• Love 4

I didn't blame Sherry Stringfield for leaving the second time around. It's clear no one ever knew what to do with her upon her return, and her being the head of the ER seemed so out of character. She never seemed to want to be some bigwig before.

But being written off off-screen did suck.

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I didn't blame Sherry Stringfield for leaving the second time around. It's clear no one ever knew what to do with her upon her return, and her being the head of the ER seemed so out of character. She never seemed to want to be some bigwig before.

But being written off off-screen did suck.

Now, I don't blame her. Back then I felt some type of way. Also, knowing some things about her now (mainly in that being on tv or star seemed to not matter at all to her based on why she left ER the first time and why she left nypd blue). She probably never even wanted ER. She fell into it after peacing out on Blue. 

So, her leaving is not surprising. I still hate that it was off screen. I also kind of disagree with her being charge being or feeling wrong. On screen it was clear that her goals changed once she became a mom and had a family. She wanted more money and security. Hence being the boss and wanting tenure. It was just character growth. 

I don't blame anyone for leaving in the later years. It was hard to get good stories if you weren't one of the chosen few and actors like change. This show was on for a LONG time.

6 hours ago, Racj82 said:

What's with the statutory rape on this show? Extremely statutory among the crew. Like ages not defendable in any state. Ray with a 14 year old. Carter losing his virginity to a adult at 12.

To his credit, Ray didn't know the girl was 14, was horrified when he learned, ended it immediately, and rebuffed all of her efforts to keep it going.

• Love 1