Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Baker Street Irregulars

I hope they can find a way so that shows can air within the same day in different countries.

There's no good reason for weeks and months of delays (and the American TV "sweeps" periods are archaic and stupid). All it does is make the viewers in the lagging country fearful to visit parts of the internet because of spoilers, and make them cranky they have to wait.

• Love 1

Awesome to be at the start of a great new place to call home for fans of Sherlock.  Looking forward to making new friends and watching this unfold.  Thanks to TPTB for making such an awesome and friendly space for us.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

What BizBuzz said!  I think I never posted on the TWoP thread, so I am glad to have a chance to start doing so, now.  Seems like the rules for this forum are very well thought through.  Kudos!

I am very late to Sherlock.  I think I found it soon after S2 aired, after ignoring Netflix's suggestion for at least two years.  Finally, I gave in. Of course, as soon as I saw the first episode, I became obsessed.  I think I read through the entire Sherlock thread over at TWoP until S3 started airing in the UK.  Yes, I loved it that much!  (Also, the comments were excellent, as I am sure they will be here.)

Despite its limited runs, Sherlock must surely be my all time favorite (scripted) tv show, with Friday Night Lights in second place, even though I haven't gotten through all of FNL yet. (Yes, I am sometimes very late to the party.)  I also loved Battlestar Galactica and am starting to watch The Wire for the first time.  TV is pretty great right now!  (Or, at least, earlier this century.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, I was just reading this topic and accidentally posted, and so I may as well say something. Uh, hi. I posted a lot in the Sherlock UK thread over at TWoP because I fell in love with this show a couple of years ago and could not stop talking about it. However, I've been reading a lot about Sherlock over on Tumblr the past few months and have completely rethought my approach to the show (still love it!), which has never really happened to me before. Still debating cross-populating a few of those ideas/ theories over here.

Despite its limited runs, Sherlock must surely be my all time favorite (scripted) tv show, with Friday Night Lights in second place, even though I haven't gotten through all of FNL yet. (Yes, I am sometimes very late to the party.) I also loved Battlestar Galactica and am starting to watch The Wire for the first time. TV is pretty great right now! (Or, at least, earlier this century.)

I always like reading what other shows people who love Sherlock watch. I'm really into Mad Men again after a pretty strong season. South Park is still a must-watch for me. I'm kind of in a "currently-airing" scripted show lull, though. All the shows I really like never come back frequently or for very long. Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 1

Having finally caught up to the rest of the world on "Doctor Who" (I picked up at Christopher Eccleston in April and finally watched Matt Smith's last episode two days ago), I decided to try "Sherlock" and I'm so glad I did.  I am loving it.

• Love 4

Hello, all.

Just binge-watched all 3 "series" - after a fairly recent binge watch of the whole nuDr Who (2005-present) - and I have no words for how almost completely perfect this show is... also can't believe it took me so long to check it out.  From the production quality to the acting/writing, everything is about pitch perfect; everything.  I like it so much, I find myself extremely disappointed that even at just shy of 90 minutes apiece, there's only 3 "eps" per season and only 9 total.  But then, maybe that is what makes it all so special; less eps to ruin the greatness of what makes Sherlock what it is.

Seems needless to say, but I'm highly anticipating both the Christmas special and series 4.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

Apparently Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has (co-)written a novel about Mycroft Holmes. It is set in the traditional era. I haven't seen any critic reviews yet, but reader reviews seem to be positive. It seems the former NBA star has been a Holmes fan for many years.

(edited)
On 8/29/2015 at 2:35 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Hello, all.

Just binge-watched all 3 "series" - after a fairly recent binge watch of the whole nuDr Who (2005-present) - and I have no words for how almost completely perfect this show is... also can't believe it took me so long to check it out.  From the production quality to the acting/writing, everything is about pitch perfect; everything.  I like it so much, I find myself extremely disappointed that even at just shy of 90 minutes apiece, there's only 3 "eps" per season and only 9 total.  But then, maybe that is what makes it all so special; less eps to ruin the greatness of what makes Sherlock what it is.

Seems needless to say, but I'm highly anticipating both the Christmas special and series 4.

To me one of the big weaknesses of the show is the format of three 90 minute episodes.  They're simultaneously too long and too short.  Three episodes is too few to really do a lot of character development or growth.  Meanwhile 90 minutes leaves the episode prone to bloat and filler when the mysteries are too slight to truly fill the time given.  I think six 45 minute episode per series would probably work better.  Also each season has had at least one episode that's honestly a bit rubbish.  Series One's "The Blind Banker,"  Series Three's "The Empty Hearse"  Even Season Two's "The Hounds of Baskerville" wasn't up to the quality of the other two episodes.

One thing that strikes me is that the main format for the original stories was just that: short stories.  You could probably read most of Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories in 45 minutes or less.   It's probably one reason I tend to prefer Elementary to Sherlock - Elementary's format tends to suit "Sherlockian" material a little better.

One thing that's surprising when comparing the two shows is how often Elementary, not Sherlock, is the one that shows patience and restraint.  Sherlock had fun dropping Benedict Cumberbatch's real parents into the third season as a perfectly ordinary older couple who'd somehow turned out two eccentric genius sons.  Elementary spent three seasons of 72 episodes hinting and alluding to Sherlock's father before bringing in John Noble to play him in the fourth season.  Andrew Scott has appeared as Moriarty in some form or fashion in 7 of 10 episodes.  Elementary's Moriarty has appeared six times (two of which were voice-overs) in 96 episodes.  Many times less is more.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

Hello! Late to the Sherlock party, and still have season 4 to go. Not sure if I should ask this here or in the media thread, but I was wondering if anyone has some recommendations for recaps of the show. I read the three on TWoP via brilliantbutcancelled and I have read the ones here. 

Double post because it's been a week, and since the above posts I have bought the DVDs, watched the extra's, discovered: the fanfiction, youtube, pinterest, and tumbler . Holy shit, this fandom is fucking insane. I am kindof glad I missed the waiting period between the seasons. (also, I totally ship Mycroft/Lestrade)

On 23/09/2017 at 6:59 AM, Friendly Lurker said:

Double post because it's been a week, and since the above posts I have bought the DVDs, watched the extra's, discovered: the fanfiction, youtube, pinterest, and tumbler . Holy shit, this fandom is fucking insane. I am kindof glad I missed the waiting period between the seasons. (also, I totally ship Mycroft/Lestrade)

I am with you... late to the fandom and just finished Sherlock season 4. I completely agree about the waiting. Watching the show this late has its benefits. I love Sherlock/Watson chemistry.  I absolutely love Sherlock.

• Love 1