Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Deadcheck

Charlie quits the CIA in a bid to locate and kill Omar Fatah in the Season 1 finale. Also: President Payton faces adversity over threats that secret information will be publicly released; and the team gathers to help an off-the-grid Charlie.

Charlie quits the CIA in a bid to locate and kill Omar Fatah in the Season 1 finale.

Does Charleston Chew really actually quit (you know, packs up her office, turns in her badge, stops getting paid) or does she kind of quit (kind of like the way Kurt got fired so that he could go work undercover in the Krieg Group) or is it all bullshit and at the end of the episode she walks back into her office and proceeds to go to the White House to deliver the PDB ?  I'm thinking the latter because only Charleston Chew can deliver the PDB to POTUS (drink!).

Plus, how does she know that Fatah is alive after the bomb blast ?  If Fatah is alive, that means Nick is likely alive and pretty much negates her justification for revenge against Fatah.  So why would she be going to privately kill Fatah on her own dime ? Because then she would have to deal with the fact that a lone woman traveling by herself in remote parts of the Middle East would more than likely get arrested or kidnapped or killed (unless she manages to take a bodyguard, but the CIA won't be paying for that because she quit remember).  Nick told Charleston Chew before the bomb blast that Hakam was leaving for Saudi Arabia -- and Saudi Arabia is renowned the world over because it is ever SO tolerant of women's rights.  I hope she doesn't try to drive a car while there. </sarcasm>

President Payton faces adversity over threats that secret information will be publicly released

Even worse adversity than the fact that the TV reporter released that photo of Charleston Chew, Nick Vera and Fatah to the Internet -- showing that the 2nd most wanted terrorist in the world was working with the CIA.  I can just see the montage once that photo hits the TV channels of all these guys in bars around D.C. going -- "Hey, I banged that woman -- she pals around with terrorists.  Did she bang Fatah too ?"

the team gathers to help an off-the-grid Charlie.

If the PDB team is still helping Charleston Chew off-book, it means she didn't REALLY quit the CIA (who are they trying to kid).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Charleston Chew -- PDB briefer, style icon, bartender banger, assassin ?? She continues to pad her resume.

After Sid kits her out with a sat uplink, laptop and some weapons, Charleston Chew has quit the CIA and is boots on the ground in Afghanistan -- how does she know that Fatah is there when they were last in the Phillipines ?  Because Nick told her so.

POTUS (drink!) should not have made that announcement unless they had a body to go with it.  That was just stupid because Jack Dawkins didn't even land on the ground after the missile attack last episode.

Despite actually recognizing the Al Rissalah tattoo on her arm, some dumbass in a bar gets roofied by a cute girl and wakes up with an Amahdi vest in a Minnesota mall -- and it goes boom.  And the guy in San Antonio bails on exploding his bomb because he can't blow up kids.  You can't just trust true believers in a cause anymore.

Oh come on -- Al, Mark and Enid are supposed to be the stars in the constellation Pegasus are laying out the cities to be attacked by Amahdi vests.  That is pretty ridiculous, even for this show.  Plus, the constellation overlaid on the map of the US by the CIA is really distorted from its actual layout to fit to the cities.

Also not buying Charlie's continuous comms back to the CIA -- Nick Vera had a satphone, but you can't use them continually.  Do Blackberries come with a satellite uplink now ?  Because Charleston Chew had some awesome reception in the wilds of the Hindu-Kush.

How did they find all the vest wearers so suddenly, let alone knew where to get them when they were away from their homes ?  Did I miss how they found that info ?

First Husband -- gone back home.  Chief of Staff -- resigns.  Kurt -- somehow manages to get out of the Krieg Group parking garage alive.  So why did Lantry threaten him only to do nothing ?  Kurt is now back and working with the CIA -- no harm, no foul.

And Charleston isn't alone out in the field doing recon.  Based on those sniper shots, I'm thinking it's Sid. Those scenes with Charleston Chew battling it out  with all the gunmen at the camp was laughably bad.  How did no one spot her skulking down from the hills -- she wasn't even wearing camo clothing ?

Lantry has the balls to try to land new business with POTUS (drink!) -- and it looks like POTUS (drink!) bought what he was selling.  That does not bode well for this Presidency.

It's a cliffhanger !!  Charleston Chew kills Fatah (including the headshot to be sure) right before someone drives toward the camp waving at Charleston Chew (was that Nick ?) and right before the sound of incoming missiles targeting the camp.  End scene.

If the missiles are as effective as the ones that blew up Hakam, Charleston Chew should be just fine.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

Great commentary, Otto! I have another question to add, but more on account of my own befuddlement rather than any plot holes. Why did it seem that POTUS (drink!) no longer holds a grudge against Charlie for the strange and unexplained events surrounding Aaron's death, nor for the fact that Charlie is carrying a torch for Nick?

• Love 3

And just for general snark, how come Charlie thinks her blonde

hair covered by a transparent white scarf is sufficient to fulfill the dress code so she doesn't call attention to herself? OK, dumb question since she apparently doesn't need camo,either.

Why did it seem that POTUS (drink!) no longer holds a grudge against Charlie for the strange and unexplained events surrounding Aaron's death, nor for the fact that Charlie is carrying a torch for Nick?

There also seemed to be absolutely no fallout from the snubbed TV reporter (played by Reed Diamond last episode) publishing that photo of Nick, Charleston Chew and Fatah.  When that should have been a huge WTF in the news that Fatah was an asset of the CIA.

• Love 1

Well, I have another question for Otto: Since Nick and Fatah were together when they got killed, and CC knew Fatah was still alive, wouldn't that mean NICK is alive, too? Because, you know, that was him on the hilltop doing the sniper work.

And why do all characters have to do a lengthy soliloquy before they shoot someone? Just freaking SHOOT him, CC. That's why I loved that Indiana Jones scene. 

Is the Chief of Staff a good or bad guy? Why didn't TKG leader take the spy guy's briefcase away from him in the parking lot? Why didn't TKG woman shoot the spy guy?

I'm totally amazed that a blond woman can sneak up on a group of terrorists armed only with a hand pistol and kill everyone.

And finally: POTUS! (drink)

• Love 1

President Alfre's actions can be predicted accurately by this method:  Whenever she has a decision to make, work out the absolutely worst thing she could do... and you can count on her doing that.

Sniper with an automatic rifle?  Must be Nick of the asbestos bollocks.  Syd would surely have used a bolt, and wouldn't have needed to double-tap the targets.  Charlie's MP5K jams after only a couple of clips?  Expect a letter from H&K's lawyers.  Two to the chest, fine.  But then, a face-destroying head shot from the rear for the coup de grâce?  I was expecting a ZT 0770CF and a large, head-sized, plastic doggie-bag.  Just for absolute verification and DNA confirmation...

Yes, so I wake up in a strange place to find several pounds of bomb-vest strapped to my chest.  My first inclination is to start fucking with it to see how fast I can get it to blow up!  Speaking of bomb-vests, by what mechanism did the CIA so rapidly and successfully identify and round up the remaining bomb-vests?

• Love 1

Well, I have another question for Otto: Since Nick and Fatah were together when they got killed, and CC knew Fatah was still alive, wouldn't that mean NICK is alive, too? Because, you know, that was him on the hilltop doing the sniper work.

I can't believe that those missiles took out everyone but Fatah.  If Nick survived, how would he know that Charleston Chew was in Afghanistan ?  That means he would have tailed Fatah from the Phllipines to the Hindu-Kush -- Why exactly ?  And as far as Nick knew, Fatah was still working on their side -- he had no idea that Sheikh Hakam was a cover at that point, and with Hakam dead there was no reason to follow Fatah anymore.  I figure it had to be Sid providing cover because he knew where Charleston Chew was going, and probably knew exactly where Fatah's camp was from intel from the Krieg Group.

Speaking of bomb-vests, by what mechanism did the CIA so rapidly and successfully identify and round up the remaining bomb-vests?

No idea here -- just seemingly out of no where they managed to round them all up.  How ? Was a scene cut out ?

• Love 1

How ? Was a scene cut out ?

No, the hour was just almost over so they had to cut to the short chase.

If Nick survived, how would he know that Charleston Chew was in Afghanistan ?

Because obviously, Nick and CC are psychically connected. Because Nick is the only one she thinks about. So much for her fiance, Whatshisname, to whom she never gives a thought. When did she ever have time to meet much less get engaged to Aaron?

I figure it had to be Sid providing cover

No, it's Nick. Because we could care less about Sid and whether he lives or not. He's just a spook in the background whereas Nick is CC's true lurve. And now CC and Nick (again!) are looking to get blown up real good by the POTUS's (drink) airstrike.

• Love 2

And to twist the knife just a little more, it tied it's series lows from last week in the ratings.

I don't know why it doesn't do better.  It may be rubbish, but I'd have thought it was just the sort of rubbish Joe Sixpack and Jennifer Donut would get off on!   Maybe Izzy needs to strip down to her black undies and go prowling pick-up joints more often.  Not necessarily in that order. The undies and the prowling, I mean.

And why do all characters have to do a lengthy soliloquy before they shoot someone? Just freaking SHOOT him, CC. That's why I loved that Indiana Jones scene.

Is the Chief of Staff a good or bad guy? Why didn't TKG leader take the spy guy's briefcase away from him in the parking lot? Why didn't TKG woman shoot the spy guy?

I'm totally amazed that a blond woman can sneak up on a group of terrorists armed only with a hand pistol and kill everyone.

And finally: POTUS! (drink)

I think the deal with thinking Nick is dead and Fatah is alive was that Fatah gave Nick the phone, which zeroed in on him, while Fatah apparently ran off to a more protected area. Charlie guessed this because Nick told her to hone in on him, and she knew Fatah had betrayed them. In reality, I do think Nick survived as well. After all, they were all wringing their hands when they learned everyone had gone into the tunnels because they said at the time they didn't know if even an air strike would work. Which idea was totally abandoned while the strike was taking place. I, too, think it was Nick giving the cover fire at the end.

Ditto on the deal with why they let the Double agent get away.

David, good guy or bad guy? I hate him. I think he's no good, but not sure.

David, good guy or bad guy? I hate him. I think he's no good, but not sure.

POTUS (drink) is surrounded by nasty men: David, her husband. Both are creepy jerks. Only CC is her true friend. Does this show have women writers?

• Love 1

POTUS (drink) is surrounded by nasty men: David, her husband. Both are creepy jerks. Only CC is her true friend. Does this show have women writers?

Yes, and producers, too, if I remember the credits correctly. And it's an "Abishag" production, complete with artwork of a woman's profile.

Good catch that Nick doesn't know what's his name was a fake and wouldn't know where Charlie went or why, Otto. Of course, I agree with the other poster that logic won't hold and that True Love must be the hero.

On the finding of the vests, as Otto mentioned earlier, it was the constellation Pegasus, overlaid on top of a map of the U.S., which gave them the locations.

Oh, Charlie did finally give Aaron some thought. Right before her kamikaze attack to avenge Nick, she suddenly "felt him right beside me, like always." Or words to that effect.

The right hand definitely didn't know what the left hand was doing while writing this episode. Or someone's ready to have a psychotic break.

Edited by renatae
On the finding of the vests, as Otto mentioned earlier, it was the constellation Pegasus, overlaid on top of a map of the U.S., which gave them the locations.

Even then, that only gave them the cities -- somehow they were able to narrow it down to specific people really quickly with no explanation.

• Love 1

Oh, Charlie did finally give Aaron some thought. Right before her kamikaze attack to avenge Nick, she suddenly "felt him right beside me, like always." Or words to that effect.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I was totally waiting for Aaron to come walking out of that tent, which would explain why CC could "feel him" beside her. Maybe that's Aaron in the sniper's SUV!

• Love 3

And why do all characters have to do a lengthy soliloquy before they shoot someone?

My favorite response to that is from the Tuco's bathtub scene in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly:  "If you're going to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."

Speaking of bomb-vests, by what mechanism did the CIA so rapidly and successfully identify and round up the remaining bomb-vests?

Pretty simple, really.  They Googled "Missing Suicide Vest Locations" and cross-referenced the latitude and longitude.  We're there.

• Love 1

I thought THIS was ridiculous.

Then I saw this week's episode of "Stalker".

Bailed on that one after 3-4 episodes.  I take it it's not improved. 

Actually, SoA is a steaming pile, but it's the sort of steaming pile I can watch, while eating my dinner, chuckling at the worst of the stupids, and adjusting the IQ of the writers in my mind (trending lower and lower), as various things happen in the show.  I'm actually quite enjoying it, as a sort of pseudo-comedy.  They need to have Rowan Atkinson as a guest star!

I wonder which will get renewed -- State of Affairs or Stalker?

Just based on the fact that Stalker has a "real" male lead, it already has a huge advantage of being renewed over this show.

Right now, the only thing State has going for it is that it's a shortened season that won't cost as much to make as older shows with actors that have bigger salaries and shows that have a full season. They can easily renew it, film and keep the episodes to burn off if it continues to tank or just keep it as a mid-season replacement for another show.

Just based on the fact that Stalker has a "real" male lead, it already has a huge advantage of being renewed over this show.

I dunno. Stalker seems very purposefully constructed with Maggie Q. being the clear lead.  It's odd though, because IMDB shows Dylan McDermott getting billing over her.  I could see his casting and apparent billing helping the show, even though it's clearly Maggie's show (not that that's anything she should be proud of, since much of it is shit).

Maggie Q's character might have been constructed as the lead, but other than a two minute-a-week long arc, that only in the last 5 episodes turned into half of an episode or more content, Dylan McDermott's character actually solves almost all the cases, gives most of the stalker assessments and has been involved in all of the take downs except two if I remember correctly.

Maggie Q's character is a lead only in name. Which is sad since they've already had to drop the story line they had set up for DM's character because it made him come off as a stalker. They couldn't ruin their precious male character, yet they have Maggie Q's character making stupid decisions in the name of setting up DM's. The writers and producers don't give a crap about having a female lead or Maggie Q's talent with fight scenes.

That's why I like this show honestly, as convoluted as the plots are on SoA, they're at least trying to show Charlie as capable and worthy of being the lead character. Of course it's produced and was created by women, and Stalker has horror movie/cheesy soap producer/creator Kevin Williamson. I've stopped watching Stalker, but for as long as State airs, I'll watch it just for them trying, and for the most part showing, Charlie as a true lead.

Edited by william0102
  • Love 1

I always heard it as "Joe Sixpack and Jane Boxwine" but I like Jennifer Donut too! Maybe she's related to Vodka McBigbra...

This should have been a limited miniseries, if all the time wasted chasing Fatah and dreamy desert scenes between Chew and Nick were eliminated.

I wish Eli Wallach had appeared from behind a camel and told Chew to shoot, not yap.

(edited)

Because her first name is Charleston which have to admit is pretty awful name for a lead character on a TV show, the first thing that came to my mind was 'who would name their child after Charleston Chew ?'.  And it kind of stuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_Chew

And because she likes to bang random guys she meets in bars, this nickname quickly evolved into 'Charleston Screw'.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1