Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: Oregon

So I haven't really watched too closely this year but was able to sit down and watch this episode. Love Nick. Jake Johnson is just all kinds of hilarious foR me. Him trying to get on the bike with coach made me laugh much harder than it probably should have haha.

But...are they going back to Nick and Jess? Seems like they're doing a slow build right? I might be behind on this though.

Also really love the dynamic between Winston and Cece right now. Winston little side notes are great.

• Love 1

They're definitely going back to Nick and Jess which is a shame because I really, really liked Ryan. I just hope they do Nick/Jess better this time around.

Winston is a star. I'm glad they mentioned the cat again.

Loved Cece's full on kid stroke.

• Love 2

I don't know what this show's prospects for another season are, but whenever it ends I want to see Jess/Nick and Schmidt/Cece back together and living happily ever after. Nick can be an irresponsible goofball but he really cares about Jess as seen in this episode.

I always love Rob Reiner and Jamie Lee Curtis as Jess's parents, and the Portland visit and tour of Jess's special places in general was funny and at times poignant. When the writers have the whole gang interacting it can be really well done.

• Love 1

I got several good chuckles out of this one, although to be honest most of them escape me at the moment. I guess that doesn't speak well to the impact it made on me but I was entertained anyway. One part I remember laughing at is at the pizza parlor where Jess was telling everyone they made some kid eat the grease-soaked napkin and then admitted she was the kid.

This was probably my least favorite episode of the season. It seemed like they really needed to write Ryan off ASAP so they could start the Nick/Jess story again, and they did it in a way that wasn't at all consistent with the Ryan we've known over the last however many weeks. Why didn't they just have them break up when he moved back? Also, the Schmidt/Cece story has become so schmoopy. And I say that as someone who loves the two of them and wants them together.

There were a couple things I really liked, though - Nick and Coach trying to get on the tandem bike, the Furguson reference, Schmidt choosing a huge rock to throw in the pond.

Ugh, this show had been doing so much right this season, but then they had to go and kill it with the Ryan's only gone for one episode before they have to do the break-up story. Couldn't we have had a few episodes where we Jess getting back to normal life, perhaps fighting off some temptation because she really cares for him, before the inevitable break-up? Especially with Nick getting single again only a few weeks ago?

• Love 2

I'm not liking the apparent setups for Schmidt/CeCe and Nick/Jess. 

But I did like Winston. As usual. He had some really good lines, like the egg one to Jess's mom. I also liked at the end when they were at Crush Lake, and Nick told Coach he had to pick a lady's name. "Gladys."

It seemed like they really needed to write Ryan off ASAP so they could start the Nick/Jess story again, and they did it in a way that wasn't at all consistent with the Ryan we've known over the last however many weeks.

ITA. This show tends to do break-ups very abruptly. Ryan seemed really into Jess,  so for him to start acting like a jerk and not calling her... didn't add up.  I would have liked it more if they had delved into the real difficulties of doing a long distance relationship and that was the reason for the break-up.

Love Nick. Jake Johnson is just all kinds of hilarious foR me.

Me too! I also thought the actress playing Jess' dad's new wife was hilarious. Her delivery of 'That was the whole dream.' re: her dream about a crouton made me LOL. 

Another thing that was hilarious-- Cece trying to act 'cool' when she first met Jake Apex at the wedding! She must really love Schmidt because Jake Apex... wow.

Since when is Ryan a thoughtless jerk? I liked him, and he seemed so into Jess, it just seems random.

Never the less, I liked this one. I have always been fascinated by Portland (never been, but it has rain and coffee, two things I love) so it was cool seeing a little tour of the city. Winston and Cece are a great pair of friends, I love that they're putting them together more now. And I always love seeing Jess's parents.

#Bringbackthecat  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

I don't know that Ryan needed to be a thoughtless jerk for this plot to make sense. I mean, it's understandable to go there given how little build/explanation there was. But we don't know exactly how long he's been back in England, right? It's one episode but probably not one week in the show. He went back for a headmaster gig, yes? So, he's just moved, which is incredibly stressful. He's got a totally new and important job, also stressful, and he's on an 8 hour time difference from Jess. It's a dick move to cancel attending a wedding you RSVPed to, always, as especially so day of (and does he have so much money he doesn't mind cancelling plane tickets, or does he buy the refundable kind?) If he were supposed to be there tomorrow, dude needed to have already been on the plane when Jess was freaking out at the table with her phone. Anyway, point is I'm inclined to think Ryan may have been overwhelmed by everything and even though it's a dick move to not show up and the way he told her, I don't necessarily think it means they did a 180 on his personality. Or maybe they did because that's the easy shortcut for sitcoms to lead to breakups.

All that, my main quibble with the episode was Jess being up late to talk to him before work. When does school start? 8am? 9am? So before he goes in would be something like 11pm for her. Or do the easier thing and talk to him before she goes to work.

So many great parts, love when the whole gang is together. Standing awkwardly in the kitchen, running behind the cart, etc. …   I could have watched the episode on mute and just laughed at their combined expressions.

I’m not necessarily against Nick and Jess but it was so badly written last time I’m not ready to go back down that road again…. They are so much better apart at this point. 

Everything out of Nick’s mouth this episode was pure perfection! 

Jamie Lee Curtis is ALL kinds of awesome as usual.

Winston and CC …. Awesome!

The show went into the toilet the minute Jess and Nick became an official couple, and improved 100% as soon as they broke up, so I hope to heck they're not going down that road again. But I didn't take Jess's breakup from Ryan as any kind of omen they're getting back together again.