Type keyword(s) to search

Porsha Taylor: Shoe Wrangler (Among Other Things)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

Meet Porsha Taylor. She's the assistant to Cookie Lyon, the Co-Owner of Empire Records. Porsha's many job requirements include ass verification, checking social media and even fetching one of Cookie's shoes when necessary, such as when Cookie throws them at someone, hence the thread title.

Anyway, I think that Porsha and TaRhonda Jones, who plays her, are hilarious. One of the things I like about Porsha is that she's almost as unpredictable as Cookie, in her own way, but less crazy.

Anyway again, say what you will about Porsha here, without shoe-throwing, if possible.

• Love 1

A lot of the stuff Porsha does in the background is TaRhonda.  They told her to just go for it.

I think it's pure gold. I love TaRhonda's acting and I love how Porsha is written.

• Love 2

Anika may try to steal from the Cookie jar, but Porsha  may bite it off.  Something tells me not to underestimate Ms. Taylor.

I can't even tell you how much life it would give me if Porsha went double agent - reporting back to Cookie while pretending to take Anika's bait.

• Love 6

No, no, no! Porsha, please don't fall for BBK's hint of a higher salary!

BTW, who is Porsha talking with on the phone? The snippets I've caught are like "That's what she said." or something similar to it.

Porsha is awesome, as funny as Cookie is, Porsha is some much welcome comic relief. I had serious issues with Lucious calling her donkey kong or whatever, I don't know if that speaks to the writers ignorance of how dark-skinned black women are largely treated or them being fully aware and them wanting to get across that Lucious is really and truly a dick.

• Love 2

Porsha is awesome, as funny as Cookie is, Porsha is some much welcome comic relief. I had serious issues with Lucious calling her donkey kong or whatever, I don't know if that speaks to the writers ignorance of how dark-skinned black women are largely treated or them being fully aware and them wanting to get across that Lucious is really and truly a dick.

I'm probably completely naive about this, but I think the Donkey Kong reference is directed at Porsha's hairdo and her build. Porsha isn't a tiny, petite woman like Cookie or Tiana or Rhonda or Annika. She's big (note: "big" does not mean "fat"). 

Edited by Milz

I love that they are using Ta'Rhonda on the show's official Youtube channel to provide brief recaps of the episodes. She's hilarious.

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSS! I was hoping that some tech savvy person would do this! Yipppppeeeeeeeeeee!

Porsha issuing the call to arms to Jamal was great! "Things are poppin' off and you don't answer your phone?!"

Also, her not falling for Anika's obviously self-serving bs. 

Porsha and Becky and Lola need a web series until the show comes back! We need a bit more Porsha anyhoo.

(edited)

I'm listening to the Project Fandom podcast for the latest episode, and they reminded me that Ta'Rhonda Jones originally read for the role of Tiana.  I applaud the quick thinking of whichever casting person tapped her to play Porsha instead.  Even though Ta'Rhonda didn't get the role she auditioned for, I think Porsha has had more screentime than Tiana, as well as being more integral to the plot and awesomeness of the show. 

Who else could deliver the line "Put your chest up!" with such panache?

The podcast also pointed out that, since the actress is a rapper, there's the possibility that they will incorporate that into the show at some point.  It would be so great if they have a point where Cookie is like "What this track needs is a female MC" and Porsha just busts it out.  I don't think that should happen until Season 2, though.

Edited by netlyon2
  • Love 3

I get just how deeply wrong Porsha was to give Cookie's name for the turnstile jumping thing ( I mean, really?!), but I wish Cookie would take her smoldering anger out in other ways.  Maybe send a teensy car to pick up Porsha; yeah, Porsha is getting car service, but it's far from glam and also, Cookie can mostly count on Porsha to show up for the job.

I enjoyed Porsha last season and like her this season, minus that one incident. She introduced that sweet doggie, even if I am now wondering where she found the dog. Porsha respects music history, or at least the Pips. 

I still hope for a Porsha/Becky scene where they commiserate for a minute, then back to work. Sort of like the Vir/Lenier scene in Babylon 5. It could be comedy gold.

Aw, I sort of got my wished for scene!  Becky handing the binder to Porsha in order for Porsha to "step up your game" was nice. It was something Becky didn't have to do, but Becky knows what needs to happen now that Cookie's a CEO.

I felt for Porsha in the Leviticus scene, though. Porsha wasn't trying to duck out of some assignment, it is something that Becky would not be expected to do, nor would she allow Lucious or Cookie to "persuade" her into doing it anyway.  I hope Becky helps mentor Porsha and teaches Porsha how to value herself in the business world.

Now, Becky standing with Porsha on something Personal Assistant related? That would be amazing and also soapy.  Porsha with enough business "polish" could be the asset we already believe Becky is. Porsha doesn't have to be like Becky or anyone else, but to see Porsha go all Radar for Cookie would be a neat arc.

• Love 3