Type keyword(s) to search

Monk - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

The other day I was watching "Mr. Monk Is at Your Service". I was curious where the outside brunch/lunch scenes with Natalie and her parents were filmed. It looked like if the camera panned to the right, you would see the Hollywood sign. 😉 I went to the episode's IMDb page to look at filming locations. While there, I read the quote from the lunch scene, which was incorrect. It had Monk asking about drinking in the morning (he did not), and Peggy "nursing a Bloody Mary".  I created an IMDb account and submitted the correct quote. I see today they have updated the correct quote:

Adrian Monk: I wish I drank. Is it wonderful?

Peggy Davenport: [Drinking a martini] Yeah, it's pretty great.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just discovered this show last year while flipping through TV channels, and I was immediately hooked on it. Even better is that Monk is now on Netflix so I don't have to wait for the episodes to rerun on TV to finish the show!

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Virtual said:

I just discovered this show last year while flipping through TV channels, and I was immediately hooked on it. Even better is that Monk is now on Netflix so I don't have to wait for the episodes to rerun on TV to finish the show!

You're in for a treat! I've seen every episode now but still tune in to rewatch most of them. It's on Hallmark Mystery Channel 9 am - noon ET weekdays, and Cozi weekdays from 3 pm - 6 pm ET, and a few hours Saturday and Sunday evenings. Hallmark Mystery airs them in their original order. For some reason, Cozi jumps around. 

• Like 3

I tuned to Hallmark Mystery channel this morning at 9 am ET expecting to watch Monk. Instead, they were airing Murder, She Wrote with no Monk on the schedule. Their web site says they air Monk. I used to expect this late October to January when they aired sappy Christmas shows 24/7. I sent an email. I'll see if I get a response.

• Sad 3

I did send an email to Hallmark Mystery on June 10 asking what happened to Monk om weekday mornings from 9- noon. I quickly got a computer-generated response that said we value our viewers and will get back to you. It's June 18 and I'm still waiting for a response. A few years ago I sent a question to fetv and received a response within a day. Guess the pearl clutchers don't care as much about their viewers as they purport. I see Hallmark Mystery is airing 5? episodes of Monk on Thursdays.

Recently I was watching an episode of NCIS, season 5 episode 15 "In the Zone". I recognized 3 actors that were on Monk. The first was Patrick Fischler who played the owner of the Cobra museum in "Mr. Monk and the Cobra". The second was Josh Stomberg who played Agent Grooms in 2 episodes, "Mr. Monk and the Sleeping Suspect" as an ATF agent who apparently changed agencies and was a FBI agent in "Mr. Monk Gets Cabin Fever". The third was Rick Hoffman who played Agent Colmes in "Mr. Monk Meets the Godfather". 

• Like 1
On 7/14/2022 at 8:56 PM, fishcakes said:

It was Sharona who had the Volvo. It was older (I think -- it's hard to tell with Volvos because the style changes so slowly) and always breaking down.

I only remembered the first four, but according the wiki, Natalie had six cars:

It also says she often wears Louboutins but I only noticed it the one time.

On which episodes did her Volvo break down? I only remember the episode with the millionaire who died. :p

41 minutes ago, Dimi said:

On which episodes did her Volvo break down? I only remember the episode with the millionaire who died. :p

It did break down in that episode (Mr. Monk and the Billionaire Mugger), and the dead billionaire's chauffeur fixed it for her. The other time I remember was in Mr. Monk Meets the Godfather. Her car was in the shop and there was some indication that the mechanic was trying to bone her on the repair costs. So the godfather's enforcer, Fat Tony, who Sharona was dating, somehow convinced *cough* the mechanic to do the work for free and deliver the car to her house.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, fishcakes said:

It did break down in that episode (Mr. Monk and the Billionaire Mugger), and the dead billionaire's chauffeur fixed it for her. The other time I remember was in Mr. Monk Meets the Godfather. Her car was in the shop and there was some indication that the mechanic was trying to bone her on the repair costs. So the godfather's enforcer, Fat Tony, who Sharona was dating, somehow convinced *cough* the mechanic to do the work for free and deliver the car to her house.

He also "convinced" her ex to pay child support. Fat Ray was the best boyfriend she ever had.

• Wink 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

He also "convinced" her ex to pay child support. Fat Ray was the best boyfriend she ever had.

Even though Randy outed Fat Tony:

Randy reluctantly plays a conversation from a bug in Salvatore's limousine for Sharona: Tony and Sal, sharing a good laugh about the lies he has fed Sharona, along with the truth that Tony is one of Sal's most feared enforcers. Sharona is disappointed, but hardly surprised, and thanks Randy.

https://monk.fandom.com/wiki/Mr._Monk_Meets_the_Godfather

…in an alternate universe, Fat Tony could just be conning Sal, and it turns out he really does want to open a book store when he goes into WITSEC. 

• [RANDY] Sharona. You still seeing Tony?
  • [SHARONA] Yeah. So?
  • [RANDY] I've been logging these surveillance tapes from last week.
    This is from Salvatore's car Tuesday night.
    I think you should hear it:

Salvatore's voice: So, what's with you and the nurse?

Tony: Just having a few laughs, you know me.

Hey, get this... I told her I'm gonna open up a bookstore.

You? Ha ha ha. I've never even seen you inside a bookstore.

What was I gonna tell her... the truth?

That I'm your enforcer, that I hurt people for a living?

And she bought it?

Hey, they always buy it. You know why?

'Cause I tell 'em what they want to hear.

BTW, the actor who played Fat Tony, Lochlyn Munro, has a huge IMDb list of credits, including many I’ve seen, but I don’t recall ever having a HITG! moment of recognition.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

BTW, the actor who played Fat Tony, Lochlyn Munro, has a huge IMDb list of credits, including many I’ve seen, but I don’t recall ever having a HITG! moment of recognition.

It's always interesting when someone can work that steadily and not be a HITG! guy. I couldn't pick him out of a lineup either. Maybe that's a sign of being a great character actor.

Tony Shalhoub describes himself as a character actor and I'm not sure he realizes that he's A-list.

• Like 3

I think a person can be both a character actor and A-list.  Character actor is more about the kind of roles they play, and A, B, or C list is more about the prestige and quality.

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Even though Randy outed Fat Tony:

…in an alternate universe, Fat Tony could just be conning Sal, and it turns out he really does want to open a book store when he goes into WITSEC. 

• [RANDY] Sharona. You still seeing Tony?
  • [SHARONA] Yeah. So?
  • [RANDY] I've been logging these surveillance tapes from last week.
    This is from Salvatore's car Tuesday night.
    I think you should hear it:

Oh that's surprising since I always recognise him in anything he does. I think the last thing I saw him in was Fire Country but I always remember him as Prue's boyfriend in Charmed.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, christie said:

Oh that's surprising since I always recognise him in anything he does. I think the last thing I saw him in was Fire Country but I always remember him as Prue's boyfriend in Charmed.

So do I. I hated Jack. He was also on Rizzoli & Isles doing the same annoying abnoxious crap. Even though he has a different name. I always like to think he moved to Boston to annoy Jane after he went to jail for fraud after Bucklands started selling fake paintings and stuff. 

• Like 2

Okay, you Monkophiles: When the door to Monk's apartment opens, there is a normal size window with brown Venetian blinds on the opposite side of the hallway. I had a memory of seeing another type of window there, and decided I was mistaken. At the end of "Mr. Monk and the TV Star", when Monk answers the door to Marci, the window on the hallway opposite wall is a smaller one that is stained glass. Are the writers messing with us? Not sure if that stained glass window is in other episodes.

(edited)
3 hours ago, christie said:

To me, he's the bomb squad guy from Major Crimes.

16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Fat Ray was the best boyfriend she ever had.

Sharona has the worst taste in men, so that tracks - her best boyfriend is a guy who was lying to her the whole time.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3

Well, it's been more than half a year later and I finally watched the movie. (We bought Peacock for a month in order to watch the Olympics.) I liked seeing the Core Four together again (the scenes that they were) but...overall the movie itself I don't think I'll be accepting it as canon. Monk was a lot of things but even on his worst days or weeks he wasn't actively suicidal like he was here. The fiancé-murder wasn't up to the Monk-mystery standards, either, IMO.

• Like 1