Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Healthcare

OK, now we're back on track.  I like the 'themed' vignettes in so much that, let's face it, as brilliant as the show is they don't knock it out of the park every time.  The short pieces allow some relief if a segment just isn't working.  I think it also leaves room to explore a little bit of silliness without having to flesh out an entire story arc.

I enjoyed this one! 

• Love 2

The vignettes definitely work better.

Is this show about Portland any more? It looks like this season they're going to write for the quirky characters and ignore the quirky city they live in. 

I just want to hear someone say, "I would be at peace if...". For example, "I would be at peace if everyone who didn't recycle had to serve a prison sentence." That expression has taken off around here and I laugh every time I hear it.

• Love 1

The raw milk -- or rah milque -- was a reference to Portland, wasn't it? Also when they went from doctor to nutritionist to herbalist, that seemed like a Portland thing.

This was pretty funny. Candace blowing a gasket at the "girl scouts" was hilarious. No surprise her heart is corroded. Everything Ed Begley did was great. I love all the nonsense conversations.

Why isn't there apricot ice cream? Maybe a specialty shop has it.

That wasn't a picture of a skunk; it was a honey badger.

When Nance told Peter to put on his seatbelt, and he said what's the point because he's going to die anyway, that reminded me of another TV show or movie where two people had the same exchange. I'm sure it's not a unique joke, but it's bugging me where I heard that recently. I think it was a mom driving and a daughter being snotty, maybe a son. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

The raw milk -- or rah milque -- was a reference to Portland, wasn't it? Also when they went from doctor to nutritionist to herbalist, that seemed like a Portland thing.

Probably fairer to say they were satirizing the behavior of a certain class of people believed to inhabit Portland in great numbers, but who also occur in certain other parts of the country as well.

Funny episode.

• Love 1

Thank goodness the vignettes are back! And wow, Brigitte Nielsen.

Ed Begley Jr is always so funny on Portlandia, I love when he just pops up. 

Candace whipping out her boob at him, and pointing at it, was never not funny to me. 

• Love 3

Candace whipping out her boob at him, and pointing at it, was never not funny to me. 

A perhaps embarrassing admission: I couldn't quite tell if that was a prosthetically-created stage-boob, or if it was Fred Armisen's real man-breast bunched up so as to create a mass of flesh that could pass for a boob. Anyone have a feel for this?

• Love 1
On 1/24/2015 at 4:48 PM, peeayebee said:

When Nance told Peter to put on his seatbelt, and he said what's the point because he's going to die anyway, that reminded me of another TV show or movie where two people had the same exchange. I'm sure it's not a unique joke, but it's bugging me where I heard that recently. I think it was a mom driving and a daughter being snotty, maybe a son. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

It reminds me of the scene in "What About Bob" where the dad is teaching his son to dive off the dock and the son says something like "What's the point dad, we're going to die!"