Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E04: Auditions #4

• Start Topic

They may be different types of singers and performers (and to each their own who you like better), but as far as sheer technical vocal ability, Adam has much greater range, colors, dynamics, and expression in his voice.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 2

They may be different types of singers and performers (and to each their own who you like better), but as far as sheer technical vocal ability, Adam has much greater range, colors, dynamics, and expression in his voice.

In your opinion, not mine. "greater range, colors, dynamics and expression" translates to me as more volume, vocal theatrics and hot-dogging, if you will - which may be entirely appropriate for the type of music he sings. You'll never hear that from Harry, because his is a much more controlled type of vocals.

• Love 2
I wanted Adam to say, "Okay...your turn"  because I'm sure HCJ would have sounded quite mediocre following him. But Adam is apparently far nicer than I.

Of course Adam is nicer. He's obviously too dumb to realize he doesn't belong on stage but rather on a cross...that every second of Harry's appreciation (regretting missing one of the best auditions in history, the standing ovation and hug, the flirting and appreciation of Adam) was actually some kind of subversive way of victimizing him.  Poor Adam.  Harry...so Machiavellian evil in his praise. 

Except Adam's not dumb.  Nor is incapable of standing up for himself or, as a young gay male, incapable of recognizing when someone is really out to get him. 

• Love 2

I liked Jax a lot during the show but was disappointed when I heard an Across the Universe clip of essentially the same arrangement--for some reason, I thought she had done something new to the song herself. But I still liked her. 

Harry's not dumb, either. And he knew that he was putting Adam on a spot that Adam couldn't back away from. I maintain that it was unprofessional.

And had I WANTED to liken Adam to Christ on the Cross or HCJr to Machiavelli, I surely would have.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1

Why couldn't Adam back away from it?  This show wasn't live.  All he had to say is "It's too early/I haven't warmed up/I want the focus to be on the contestants not me/No thanks."  There were a hundred polite and snarky ways to decline and had he done so, I'm 99% certain the request never would have made the edit because they like to show the judges having fun.  They like to show them laughing, smiling and yes, performing.  "Wanna recreate your audition?  No." wouldn't fit their narrative.

• Love 1

I like both Adam and HCJ, but don't particularly follow either or buy their music. To my mind, Harry is the superior musician and Adam the superior showman. I would also guess that in general, Harry's fans would be better versed in the subtleties and nuances of music and not need a lot of emoting or pyrotechnics to appreciate a performance.

Which is not to say that Harry can't ham it up with the best of them, nor that Adam is incapable of subtlety. I think they are both immensely talented at what they do, just that Adam is more immediately striking while Harry's art demands a bit more introspection. Again, of the two, I would say that Harry is the more gifted all around musician, while Adam has a slight edge on him in terms of what he can do with his voice. He could, I am sure, sing something of Harry's and do it justice, where I'm not sure that Harry could wrap his voice around some of what Adam does. On the other hand, I don't actually know what instruments Adam plays, but I much doubt he has or could even develop Harry's effortless virtuosity.

I did enjoy the episode, though, other than the fact that we got almost no worthwhile contestants out of it. Adam fit in very well and could, as some people have mentioned, be a really good addition to the panel if he had the time or inclination (or was offered the position). Though panels with four judges HAVE always tended to run overtime in the past.

• Love 2

I'm personally not a fan of 4 judge panels. It works on the Voice but IMO doesn't work for Idol. I would personally like to see a panel of Keith, Adam, and maybe a different female. Kelly or JHud would be cool but I don't know if they'd do it.