Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Miss Congeniality (Yakima County, WA)

Major red flags from his first sentence where he describes her as "my wife of thirteen and a half years." Seriously? Not just "my wife." That's a pretty damn strange way to start a missing persons report. But I'm not sure they will be successful prosecuting him because the case is totally circumstantial.

Postscript from only two days ago. Wow.

• Love 5

As much as it's obvious that that loser of a husband is a liar and a loser, I don't think this case is as strong as Kelly thinks. Especially since they can't bring McKimmy in on this. You just know the defense attorney is going to blame McKimmy for all of this. Also, with no murder weapon, no forensics of note, it's going to be a hard case to prove. Sure the defendant has said and done things that are suspicious, but can that get you beyond reasonable doubt when there is potentially another suspect to blame? I'm not so sure.

With that said, I've no doubt that the hubby is the killer.

• Love 3

Major red flags from his first sentence where he describes her as "my wife of thirteen and a half years." Seriously? Not just "my wife." That's a pretty damn strange way to start a missing persons report.

Exactly what I said to my boyfriend. Show hadn't been on more than 30 seconds and I knew the husband did it.

When they cut to commercial after getting that phone call (which turned out to be from the DA's office), I was convinced Timmy McKimmy (seriously??) had turned up dead.

• Love 2

I really do love this show and the work Kelly and Yolanda do to bring cold cases to a close, and I also think that the husband and/or Timmy are the killers, but I can't help but wonder if the DA went for the arrest because this case was featured on this show.  The case against the husband is entirely circumstantial, and as KHenry says, the defense attorney is going to try to pin it on Timmy, or at least argue there's a plausible alternative theory. 

I guess what really bugged me about this episode is that this case had been through something in the neighborhood of 7 lead detectives and they could have done everything that was done tonight: reinterview witnesses and take statements.  There was no breakthrough DNA technology used, no advanced scientific technology: all that was done was sit down with people and piece together a timeline.  Sure, Kelly is a tough litigator and can argue to a DA to take the case, but the detectives involved should have been able to do that too.  From online data (http://yakimacounty.us/coroner/annualreport.pdf), Yakima isn't exactly overrun with homicides.  Maybe that means they aren't terribly experienced in running a homicide investigation, but sitting and talking to people who knew the victim and likely suspect isn't exactly revolutionary.  I don't want to necessarily bag on the cops involved (the current lead investigator seemed to be truly involved), because who knows what the department allows for resources/overtime, but the department should have allowed for the week of shoe leather to put this case to bed more than a decade ago.  YMMV.

• Love 2

Major red flags from his first sentence where he describes her as "my wife of thirteen and a half years." Seriously? Not just "my wife." That's a pretty damn strange way to start a missing persons report.

that was it! I couldn't remember what he said that made me think he was the killer, but really, why would you start a call like that. And he never did call 911 officially, just called someone that worked there to get his calls recorded. Not really as bright as he thinks he is. 

I do like this show and watch it regularly, but I don't think this was their strongest case. They need to find Timmy McKimmey. Sorry, but who names their child like that?

• Love 1

I have a feeling this case is not going to be one of the shows success stories. There is just not enough evidence and there is an alternative in Timmy McKimmy (tee hee). If a jury finds the husband guilty I think it's because of this show because there is just no way. Do I think he's guilty? probably, but I think a good lawyer could have me second guessing if it was really Timmy McKimmy (hehe).

• Love 2

I'm hoping that between now and the time he actually goes to trial the prosecutors will have either found Timmy, or gotten a confession out of the piece of work hubby.

My big question was what was she doing out in that remote area at that hour anyway? It seemed odd they didn't dig into that more. Phone records? I wondered if Timmy had called her out there and was the trigger man. She could have been meeting him for a drug deal - that's why she'd roll down the window. Then I thought she and hubby both went out and Timmy drove him back, but why would both parents be out there, leaving young children alone in the house? Lot of unanswered questions. I think having hubby in custody is a good start, and will hopefully get something out of him. Maybe he'll finger Timmy, and they can get him at least on conspiracy.

It did look like he had been photo-shopped out of the family photos.  How very sad. Sounds like her boys don't have relationships with grandparents, or the dad. (thankfully?!)  But how sad to have no family.

• Love 1

I wondered if Timmy had called her out there and was the trigger man.

I was thinking the same thing, but that her husband somehow convinced her to go get his drugs for him instead of her buying drugs for herself. He said he would stay home with the kids, she runs out there to buy the drugs, Timmy jumps in the front seat to do the deal (which is when she moves her purse into the back seat to make room for him), he gets out when they are done and comes around to the driver's door. Knocks on window and says hey, I forgot something and shoots her. Also reaches in and takes his drugs back. Heads back to his friend's house with the truck.

Still doesn't get the husband off the hook. He set up the murder and got rid of the gun in the river. I really hope they find Timmy. With that name you would think he's be pretty easy to track down.

I thought the call was to say the husband had committed suicide!

• Love 1

I can't help but wonder if the DA went for the arrest because this case was featured on this show. 

I suspect that the 'closed door meeting' had a bit of 'You know y'all are gonna look gutless when this episode airs if you don't at least agree to take it' going on, and rightly so too, imo. What's the harm in taking the case? If you later feel you can't successfully prosecute, well, at least you had a run at it. I also think it's no coincidence Bailey's arrest happened two days ago. Might as well get your media profile up a bit as soon as you can -- it can only help with a jury pool, if one wanted to be cynical about it.

• Love 2

This may be a stupid question but why do so many of the interviews on this show take place in cars? I can see where people might not want their homes filmed but they have interview rooms at the police stations, and I wouldn't think most friends or family members would be worried about being seen talking to the police. Is there some obvious reason I'm just not seeing?

• Love 1

The police vehicles are all unmarked, so a passer-by or someone in the home wouldn't really know it's the police. Plus, it is less threatening to the person being interviewed to sit in a vehicle just outside their house and talk, rather than going all the way down to a police station and sitting in an official room, where they KNOW they are being taped. In those vehicles, the filming is probably not as obvious. I did so many interviews just standing around my truck. I really wish I had a dash cam like they have on the series (I retired before so many of these new toys came out!)

• Love 4

Once they get down to the official interview with the main suspect, where they are going to try to get them to roll (and more than likely arrest them), that is when they want to be in the interview room. There the officers control the interview, can observe to subject for visual cues and use all their interview tactics to obtain the confession. With the husband in this weeks case, he lived in the sticks in Idaho, 3 1/2 hours away from anything. In order to catch him off-guard and get unrehearsed info from him, they had no choice but to talk to him at his house rather than drive him in to a station.

• Love 3

I really love this show. They keeps it "real". The victim was a casual drug user not a strung out junkie the husband tried to portray her.

Dateline would never IMO really went there. I think they would have made a big deal about the pageant, "perfect" mother.

I guess my point is, I get annoyed when shows like Dateline try to make the victim some unearthly angel. Just give us the facts we can handle it, lol.

Nobody deserves to be murdered no matter what.

I just like that they touched on her drug use and made a point to say it happened, but the husband was portraying it as something more.

I agree with others, I have strong doubt the husband will be convicted, even though I think he did it.

• Love 4

This may be a stupid question but why do so many of the interviews on this show take place in cars? I can see where people might not want their homes filmed but they have interview rooms at the police stations, and I wouldn't think most friends or family members would be worried about being seen talking to the police. Is there some obvious reason I'm just not seeing?

We refer to that as the Mobile Interrogation Unit, or the MIU if we're feeling sassy :)

• Love 4