Type keyword(s) to search

Relationships: Speed Dating

Trini
  • Start Topic

On 10/9/2017 at 7:16 PM, johntfs said:

Figure the only reason Eddie was a "temporary" love interest was that he killed himself to save Iris and everyone else.  The idea that Iris has grieved and ultimately came to return Barry's feelings still works fine.

People seem to forget that the future newspaper was still showing iris west-allen even after iris chose Eddie. We learnt that the future change as events change in the present. So far as show cannon showed, the only thing that prevented iris from being married to Barry was her death. So I took it that she chose Eddie at the time, but it didn't end well for them.

And it's not just about Eddie dying, eobard thawne was still existing when iris choose Eddie and thawne was not a defendant of Eddie and iris, just Eddie. So whether Eddie died or not, iris was always going to marry Barry.

• Love 4

I don't really put my faith in some article from the future. While it is nice to have that article as some sort of confirmation. The article and it's uses can change many times throughout the shows run. I put my faith in the fact there would no Barry without Iris. Just like there would always be a Lois to Superman's Clarke. These two are that destined together. 

Also, we better get some honeymoon loving or I would fight someone. lol

• Love 3

Yeah, I'm just gonna keep harping on this. Are they allergic to showing them in bed together or what? Come on, people.

The show is TOO sexless, it just is. 

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

Yeah, I'm just gonna keep harping on this. Are they allergic to showing them in bed together or what? Come on, people.

The show is TOO sexless, it just is. 

I know they'd never show anything, but I was hoping for some mention of reunion sex.  ::siiiiiiiigghhhhhhh...::

------

Anyway, DC totally hired a WestAllen shipper for the recaps on their site. I mean, I don't mind, but the bias is strong with this one.: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/10/17/the-flash-the-gold-standard

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Anyway, DC totally hired a WestAllen shipper for the recaps on their site. I mean, I don't mind, but the bias is strong with this one.: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/10/17/the-flash-the-gold-standard

I see no bias here, sound to me like the blog writer is on the same page with the show, DCTV and CW; WestAllen is the Gold Standard of DCTV coupledom. Proven and additionally confirmed by:  

Spoiler

WA's big day being a driving force in a 4 show major crossover event.

There was no other couple more worthy for this honor, none more worthy and fit for purpose than WestAllen.

Edited by HeroLeague
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, HeroLeague said:

There was no other couple more worthy for this honor, none more worthy and fit for purpose than WestAllen.

I don't know about all that.  Personally, I'd have gone with Smoak/Queen.

• Love 5
On 10/18/2017 at 0:57 AM, Trini said:

I know they'd never show anything, but I was hoping for some mention of reunion sex.  ::siiiiiiiigghhhhhhh...::

------

Anyway, DC totally hired a WestAllen shipper for the recaps on their site. I mean, I don't mind, but the bias is strong with this one.: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/10/17/the-flash-the-gold-standard

Isn't this writer the same one that is insulting Iris and hating everything Iris has done on her YT channel? I could be wrong but I heard there was some two faced writer who is writing for DC now days. 

• Love 1

Im sure some would have wanted it that way and thats fine.
But those in charge knew otherwise, when you got gold standard you use gold standard. Your most healthiest, better written and most likable main pairing, just make sense for the task. Its good business sense. It shows their faith and trust in WestAllen, and so totally not in ahem....?

Edited by HeroLeague
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

Isn't this writer the same one that is insulting Iris and hating everything Iris has done on her YT channel? I could be wrong but I heard there was some two faced writer who is writing for DC now days. 

Hmm - I wouldn't know because I generally don't watch video reviews; but it would be dumb to have published opposing opinions from the same person on different sites - and one of the sites is a major media company.

5 hours ago, johntfs said:

For me, the way Arrow has gone about telling their story, and the way the show treats love interests in general prevents me from supporting them as a couple.

• Love 1

In happier relationship news; Cisco and Gypsy are such a cute power couple! The show seems to be serious about serious about them - showing that they've been dating for a while - I just wonder how deep this relationship can get, with Gypsy as only a recurring character? On the other hand, they've moved forward with Joe & Cecile(also recurring)  moving in together, so maybe they'll be okay.

----

Glad that Iris got to voice her feelings about Barry disappearing and her concerns about communication. And that they are getting back to wedding planning! I liked the little callbacks to previous Barry/Iris moments.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, doram said:

I think @Grace19 was just giving one of the many in-universe reasons for Westallen, and why Eddie was never more than a narrative stumbling block to Westallen happening. 

Oh, I always knew Eddie was a relationship block. Anyone says otherwise might need to re-watch season 1 of the show. 

22 hours ago, Trini said:

Hmm - I wouldn't know because I generally don't watch video reviews; but it would be dumb to have published opposing opinions from the same person on different sites - and one of the sites is a major media company.

Oh, I just checked and it is the same woman. Ashley V. Robinson. What the hell? She did a review with some other guy on the Jawin channel and she was insulting the hell out of Iris. She said, "Iris bring nothing to the team." Like it was not a good idea for Iris to join Team Flash at all. Wow. Talk about being that much of two-face publicly. 

Here it the link to the review if you want to see.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2017 at 6:17 PM, HeroLeague said:

Your most healthiest, better written and most likable main pairing

I'd vote Lyla and Diggle for that.  They talk, they resolve their issues, they give each other space and independence, she doesn't have to keep propping him.  Barry and Iris still have too many things to resolve in their relationship.  Including being so naive that they think they're the gold standard.

• Love 6

I think the "gold standard" line is being taken too seriously, IMO. It was there to show that they're not perfect and have issues to work on - which they did!

I just appreciate that the showrunners support Barry/Iris and keep reiterating these past two seasons that they are IT. (I'm just thinking about a few other shows where the writers didn't really like certain pairings, and how bad they turned out. ?)

• Love 7

Okay, one last thought about "the golden standard": I could also see it being a meta message to the WestAllen lovers and/or the WestAllen detractors, depending where one thinks the writers heads are at.

• Love 7

I'd vote Lyla and Diggle for that. They talk, they resolve their issues, they give each other space and independence, she doesn't have to keep propping him.  

Well they have like like 5 minutes of screentime a season, how hard can it be to appear like a good couple. Im talking about a major pairing of a show, the ones that are constantly challenged almost every other other episode and get lots of screentime. It can be hard to keep those type of couples healthy, respectable and likable.  

I think the "gold standard" line is being taken too seriously, IMO. It was there to show that they're not perfect and have issues to work on - which they did!

If its what they meant to show then i think the term "Work in Progress" would have made much more sense.  Nope, they are sort of past that stage and have reached gold standard.  Like they are going to be married soon, why would the writers do that, if they thought they were laden with too many issues?. Clearly, whatever minor hiccups they have, will be ironed out by then.

Sure I'm taking it [Gold Standard status] very seriously Lol,  we are meant to take canon words seriously, its TV, everything is done and said to make a point. So yeah this , just showing how much the writers are committed to them as the IT couple and how they see them, its a pretty big deal (at least for the couple's fans). JMO. 

Okay, one last thought about "the golden standard": I could also see it being a meta message to the WestAllen lovers and/or the WestAllen detractors, depending where one thinks the writers heads are at.

no argument there?

Edited by HeroLeague
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, SodaforceMaster said:

I really liked the relationship between Caitlin Snow and the jeans she was wearing in episode 1 this season.

And just like all of Caitlin's romantic relationship on this show, it was short-term. I do hope this jean/Caitlin relationship get the Cisco/Caitlin treatment.

• Love 1
On 10/20/2017 at 2:50 PM, TwistedandBored said:

Oh, I just checked and it is the same woman. Ashley V. Robinson. What the hell? She did a review with some other guy on the Jawin channel and she was insulting the hell out of Iris. She said, "Iris bring nothing to the team." Like it was not a good idea for Iris to join Team Flash at all. Wow. Talk about being that much of two-face publicly. 

Here it the link to the review if you want to see.

I saw that last week quite by accident, and the entire thing was vile. I say "by accident" because this was one of many channels I would casually catch over the years, with others who covered the wider Arrowverse, making the conscious choice to drop two seasons ago when I realized how consistently unpleasant it, or more specifically she, tended to be (for comparison, on that same weeks Arrow review the looming spectre of Oliver's main relationship was met with one long "Noooooo...!" followed by what you might expect.)

Just as a casual viewer, only having caught odd reviews of odd shows every now and then, this woman has always, always had terrible things to say about the leading ladies going back to the early days, parroting the misogyny du jour toward whatever woman was their fandoms chosen punching bag. If last week was anything to go by, this has yet to spare her from the same treatment by their channels comnentariat, but why you'd want that acceptance and approval, I'll never know. It's rank, and I pity her. 

Just to loop it back to topic, Caitlin is rather adorable in her new "been there, done that" casual relationship advice stage. Even with the glitchy Killer Frost issues, it's been freeing for her (and the audience, or at least this member) to not have her be bogged down with relationship problems. She seems so light now, and it's honestly great to see. 

Edited by Karlophe
Topic
  • Love 2
On 10/24/2017 at 11:15 PM, Karlophe said:

I saw that last week quite by accident, and the entire thing was vile. I say "by accident" because this was one of many channels I would casually catch over the years, with others who covered the wider Arrowverse, making the conscious choice to drop two seasons ago when I realized how consistently unpleasant it, or more specifically she, tended to be (for comparison, on that same weeks Arrow review the looming spectre of Oliver's main relationship was met with one long "Noooooo...!" followed by what you might expect.)

Just as a casual viewer, only having caught odd reviews of odd shows every now and then, this woman has always, always had terrible things to say about the leading ladies going back to the early days, parroting the misogyny du jour toward whatever woman was their fandoms chosen punching bag. If last week was anything to go by, this has yet to spare her from the same treatment by their channels comnentariat, but why you'd want that acceptance and approval, I'll never know. It's rank, and I pity her. 

Just to loop it back to topic, Caitlin is rather adorable in her new "been there, done that" casual relationship advice stage. Even with the glitchy Killer Frost issues, it's been freeing for her (and the audience, or at least this member) to not have her be bogged down with relationship problems. She seems so light now, and it's honestly great to see. 

Yeah. She reminds me of one of those women who want one of the guys so bad that they will insult the women before the men get the chance.

• Love 1
On 10/22/2017 at 6:40 AM, HeroLeague said:

Well they have like like 5 minutes of screentime a season, how hard can it be to appear like a good couple. Im talking about a major pairing of a show, the ones that are constantly challenged almost every other other episode and get lots of screentime. It can be hard to keep those type of couples healthy, respectable and likable.  

If its what they meant to show then i think the term "Work in Progress" would have made much more sense.  Nope, they are sort of past that stage and have reached gold standard.  Like they are going to be married soon, why would the writers do that, if they thought they were laden with too many issues?. Clearly, whatever minor hiccups they have, will be ironed out by then.

Sure I'm taking it [Gold Standard status] very seriously Lol,  we are meant to take canon words seriously, its TV, everything is done and said to make a point. So yeah this , just showing how much the writers are committed to them as the IT couple and how they see them, its a pretty big deal (at least for the couple's fans). JMO. 

no argument there?

I think "Golden Standard" is a nod to the comics where the coupling of Barry and Iris is considered a gold standard in terms of long term relationships in the DCU.  I really don't think it meant much more than that.

• Love 1

I wonder if they're waiting until after they're married to show Barry and Iris in bed or just more intimately. I would laugh if being married is what they think it takes to justify some kind of a sex scene, but I'll take it.

Hey, even if it's lighthearted, fooling around under the covers, giggling, etc. I'll take that too. Just show something, please.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 4
On 10/26/2017 at 11:59 PM, phoenics said:

I think "Golden Standard" is a nod to the comics where the coupling of Barry and Iris is considered a gold standard in terms of long term relationships in the DCU.  I really don't think it meant much more than that.

DCU has Clark/Lois, they are arguably their flagship couple. Not to mention other comics couples like Wonder Woman/Steve  Batman/Catwoman, Aquaman/Mera, etc, who are just as long term and popular if not more. WestAllen is up there with the best DC couples but there is tough competition in comics, for them to be considered "the gold standard" of DCU Imo. 

I think they were talking about CW DCTV, where WA is the biggest comics couple in this tv universe and are a good couple by TV standards too,  but each to their own. 

Edited by HeroLeague
  • Love 1

Looking forward to more of these two tomorrow:

tumblr_oybug4rzRT1qjlvr2o2_500.gif

------

Wedding checklist, so far (not sure how much of this they have to re-do after 4.03):

✔️ Save the date cards, sent
✔️ Best Man, set
✔️ Caterer, locked in
✔️ Flowers, ordered
✔️ Raspberry Chocolate cake, ordered
✔️ Dress(es), bought

39 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

... They ought to at least give them some kind of sexy scene for their honeymoon. I can't believe they've only had them make out (briefly) in ONE episode, early in Season 3. Can't think of another show that would be SO chaste for their main couple. ...

Oh, I can think of at least one show - which shall remain unnamed. The Lead and His Love essentially had one (semi-)intimate scene per season. Yeah, it kinda sucked, but romance wasn't the biggest theme for that that show. The thing is, it definitely wasn't G-rated, and it wasn't shy about sex when it came to other supporting/minor characters; so it was odd when the main couple hardly got anything 'sexy'.

With Barry & Iris, I think there been a lot of great 'couple moments' since last season. I'm disappointed they don't want to do more than the scene in 3.04, but I'm not upset.

No wedding planning this week, but we had Barry making sure New Guy knew who he was engaged to!

Loved the opening scene with Cisco and Cynthia! I just wished Cynthia had been more involved in the B-plot. But at least now we know why she's dating guys from other dimensions: her dad probably scared off everyone on Earth-19! So now they've reached the milestone of meeting and getting accepted by the parent/s.

I've liked Cynthia's appearances so far, but they need to have back in the action again, and not just in the recurring love interest role.

Still neutral about this baby for Joe and Cecile. I just don't see the point.

So much hate for Cait as a bridesmaid. I get it, but it's just something I just kind of chalk off to, well that's just how these shows are, kinda the same as people not having apartments. But I think at least Iris should have had multiple bridesmaids. 

I think it kinda harms Iris as a character that her family is also Barry's family at the same time, when in another love interest situation those family type characters would be exclusive to her (kind of like Eddie mostly "belonged" to Iris in s1, or like Lucy was James supporting character in s1 of Supergirl). 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, quarks said:

I don't hate Caitlin as a maid of honor. I am annoyed that it took Flash until season four to set up a friendship between their two main women characters.

If Iris and Caitlin were actually shown as friends this season and last, the Killer Frost arc (and redemption arc) would have resonated more. ::HARSH SIGH::

• Love 7

So is Joe going to put a ring on it, or what? I'm assuming that the writers will want to marry them sometime after the Barry/Iris wedding and before the baby comes; but who knows. (I'm still 50/50 about whether we'll actually see this child.)

I'd be curious, from a Westallen shipper POV, how would you rank the seasons from best to worst, strictly speaking in regards to Westallen? I assume season 2 is considered the worst? But I think season 1 is very popular despite the fact that Iris was with somebody else, correct? 

16 hours ago, tofutan said:

I'd be curious, from a Westallen shipper POV, how would you rank the seasons from best to worst, strictly speaking in regards to Westallen? I assume season 2 is considered the worst? But I think season 1 is very popular despite the fact that Iris was with somebody else, correct? 

So far, Season 3  I'd put at #1 - they were actually together for most of the season; and they hit several relationship milestones. It's too early to rank Season 4, although with the upcoming wedding and Barry and Iris working together as a team, it might rank higher. Season 1 would be #2 - although they weren't together as a couple, the show did showcase their friendship, there was the love confession, and their first (erased) kiss; and there were good Flash/Iris moments too. Season 2 would be last; mainly because the show ignored the relationship half the time, but there were several pivotal moments in the latter part.

With Dibny's line, "Oh, it's just Caitlin" is the last episode, I'm taking that as positive sign that they won't try and pair him up with Caitlin. But he's a sleazeball; so the chance was low.

On 11/12/2017 at 11:35 PM, Trini said:

With Dibny's line, "Oh, it's just Caitlin" is the last episode, I'm taking that as positive sign that they won't try and pair him up with Caitlin. But he's a sleazeball; so the chance was low.

I think it'd be way more fun to invert the "new guys gets Caitlin" bit they do with the idea that Ralph is into Killer Frost instead.  "I don't know what to tell you, Barry, she just chills me to the boner..."

4 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Barry and Iris have had like no kissing/affectionate scenes this season at all. The hell? They're getting married in two weeks but you wouldn't know it from watching the show.

I don't think it's quite that bad; but the past 3 episodes have been particularly sparse, I'll give you that. Where's our loft/couch scenes??

The show continues to avoid every SINGLE opportunity to show Barry and Iris being intimate. 

I'm now officially convinced they're doing this on purpose. Someone behind the scenes doesn't want to show them in bed together. They get nothing but dry, closed lipped kisses. They never make out, we never see them in bed, we get no intimate couple moments, to say nothing of them never having had a sex scene.

This is now a conspiracy in my opinion. If there's nothing on the episode after they're married (and I bet there won't be), this is absolutely intentional.

• Love 3

https://youtu.be/BaYN2r_LaQI?t=4m15s

I don't think that it's fair to demand open mouthed kisses of actors. That's a pretty private thing. I thought their ending kiss in 7 was quite lovely, from a pure actor point of view (whether a kiss takes place in bed or anything like that of course is a story decision).  I think most actors cheat their way around kisses with various strategies, like kissing to the side or kissing only the lower or upper lip because of course it's not really comfortable to actually use tongue with another actor.  I read an interview with a soap opera actor once that discussed it and they said they definitely only do it if the director requests it and it's considered very uncomfortable (just consider some of the recent sexual harassment stories where "overstepping" during a scripted kiss was mentioned). 

I wouldn't say I thought the type of kiss was out of place for the episode, it fit with the mood of the episode, especially with the contrasting of Westallen with the DeVoes. But the truth remains, if the writers wanted it, they would come up with excuses and storylines and episodes where bed scenes make sense. Even if it were only starting the episode off with a "omg, we overslept!" scene in bed. 

• Love 1
On 10/21/2017 at 3:03 AM, statsgirl said:

I'd vote Lyla and Diggle for that.  They talk, they resolve their issues, they give each other space and independence, she doesn't have to keep propping him.  Barry and Iris still have too many things to resolve in their relationship.  Including being so naive that they think they're the gold standard.

But none of them is the a character. It had to be either Barry/iris, oliver/felicity or Kara/her love interest, of the three, westallen makes the most sense. Why would the cross over focus on them? It would make as much sense as the cross over focusing on Joe/Cecil.

11 hours ago, Bats27 said:

I actually surprisingly found the relationship between DaVoe and his wife, kind of sweet. It seems like they genuinely care for each other (despite both being rather messed up in the head).

The Flash - where even our villains have OTPs! But seriously I'm liking the parallels with Barry/Iris, and I'm kinda rooting for them - as a couple, not as villains.

I wanted a couch scene, but not like this! ?

tumblr_oztct6MKeW1qio8hpo3_500.gif

----------------

On 11/22/2017 at 7:33 AM, Grace19 said:

But none of them is the a character. It had to be either Barry/iris, oliver/felicity or Kara/her love interest, of the three, westallen makes the most sense. Why would the cross over focus on them? It would make as much sense as the cross over focusing on Joe/Cecil.

Yeah; the Barry/Iris wedding would be the only one everyone would gather for. For in-universe reasons, but also logistically, I think.