Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Getaway

Rhondinella

NOTE: Reign airs on Wednesdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Thursday night to view the new episode.

Mary (Adelaide Kane) takes action to save Condé (Sean Teale) when she learns the Vatican is hunting him for bearing the branded mark of the Dark Riders. Francis (Toby Regbo) devises a plan to put an end to the Dark Riders legend, which puts Bash (Torrance Coombs) at risk. Meanwhile, Kenna (Caitlin Stasey) reveals Catherine's (Megan Follows) ulterior motives to Claude (Rose Williams).

Can we please get back to Mary and Francis in love and having a good marriage. I am so damn tired of the plot line of a couple falling in love and then the writers destroy that.

I have this feeling like the network might be pushing for more love interests because it's the CW and that's what they do. I almost feel (well, really hope) like the writers might be appeasing them for an episode or two, and then are like, "AND, now back to Mary and Francis, because we can't believably split up a couple  that works so organically." I mean, Mary even says as much. And I feel like that last shot of Mary walking in on Lola and Francis was added for supposed shock value, but that nothing will come of it. It even looked like Adelaide Kane was either instructed to or chose to act the scene in a way that doesn't actually suggest she's concerned. To me she just looked a little surprised, maybe a touch hurt -- but then maybe that's enough to really put her back into the fight to keep the marriage alive -- but overall she seemed like "ok, I'm gonna let them sleep and get out of here." Because for crap's sake, Lola and Francis are fully dressed and frankly that shot, while maybe a little painful because of Mary's baby trouble, struck me as a lot more "awwww" then "agh!".

(Speaking of baby trouble, why have they not addressed whether Mary is worried about a pregnancy resulting from her rape yet? The show is clear about how much time passes and I think it's been at least a month. Obviously every woman has different cycles, but I think that she should either know she's not pregnant and say so or be visibly a lot more worried by now.)

I thought Kenna was interesting in the scene where she confronts Bash. Actually I found it kind of funny when he goes off about having to frame an innocent man, because I thought her facial expression was rather, "Uh, yeah, I know that's painful for you and I understand why you have to do these kinds of things and I'm supportive. But we were talking about frikkin' incest before you changed the subject, yes?" I might be reading a little too far into that, I admit.

I don't know how I feel about the mystery of the twins' murder (sadly judging from the preview the whole Spirit World plot isn't over)...I don't like Claude, but I thought there was something interesting about the idea of her being so sociopathic as a child as to kill her siblings. Now we have to put up with her tantrums and "boo-hoo Mommy doesn't love me so I'm entitled to do anything I want" thing. On the other hand, the question of who killed the twins has actual potential as an interesting storyline. My vote on the killer? Clarissa. It's about time she came back to the show.

Can we please get back to Mary and Francis in love and having a good marriage. I am so damn tired of the plot line of a couple falling in love and then the writers destroy that.

Look at what they also did to bash and kenna and greer/castleroy. A married couple only gets screen time when they're at odds. I understand this idea that happy couples are boring, but mary and francis don't need this kind of conflict. They're freaking rulers. The writers don't have to go the love triangle route with them AGAIN.

But I don't mind francis and mary living separate lives. I'm just not a fan of the love triangle because 1. mary was just raped and is so emotionally vulnerable 2. Adelaide doesn't have romantic chemistry with the guy who plays conde 2. I think the guy who plays Conde is pretty bad all around. I remember watching him on skins and thought he did a good job with the comedic material but this love-sick puppy role isn't working for him. Conde comes off more obsessive, than in love, but maybe that's what the writers are going for.

I never thought Claude killed her sisters so I'm looking forward to finding out what happened to them.

I don't care WHAT this show tells me, I will NEVER believe little Claude tricked and seduced grown man Bash. Claude had to have been what 12 at the time? She's behind francis, and even if tv francis is 16/17, claude has to be 14/15 now, so around 12 when Bash had sex with her.

I liked the francis/lola/baby plot. I think Toby and Anna have a nice easy chemistry. And I'm sick of the everyone loves Mary show. I know francis and lola have no romantic interest in each other, but I wouldn't mind francis getting another serious love interest, not just someone he falls into bed with. He's never had one other than Mary, and he's a young King. No way young women wouldn't be vying for his attention, especially now since everyone seems to know he and mary share separate rooms.

Edited by dirtypop90

I love the comedy on this show! "it seems your hearth has grown cold", and "Not everything is about your ass, KENNA!" were my faves. And, as always, the fashions! I want to see a scene where the women go to visit "Ye Olde Thrift Shoppe" to update their looks! I hate what they've done  Catherine this season. She used to be fun and made for both a decent ally and a worthy adversary depending upon the cause. Now she's just mad, and they already played out that storyline with Henry.

How old is Bash supposed to be? I was under the impression he's supposed to be much younger than the actor, only a year or two older than Francis, but I'm not sure.

Kenna and Bash shouldn't've been rushed, even if it meant ending them on a undecided note if the show had been cancelled after season one. The marriage of convenience is a classic plot, and it could have taken up all of the second season, them falling in love for real.

How old is Bash supposed to be? I was under the impression he's supposed to be much younger than the actor, only a year or two older than Francis, but I'm not sure.

Considering that Henry and Diane were an item before his marriage and the fact that it took Catherine 10 years to get pregnant (ironically with the help of Diane, who told Henry to go sleep with his wife already, since she was afraid the marriage would be annulled and Henry would be married to a more formidable adversary. We must remember Catherine was much younger and presumably less dangerous then), Bash could be as much as a decade or more older than his younger brother. That would explain Mary apparently not remembering him from her early years at French court -- he could have been too old to play with the little kids or been sent somewhere for education.

In the end I suspect we're not supposed to guess at Bash's age and just accept he's in the same peer-group as Francis now that they've grown up. It's kind of like Damon and Stefan on The Vampire Diaries. Stefan was very specifically locked into the age of 17, which Paul Wesley, bless his gorgeous face, isn't particularly selling anymore. But Ian Somerholder, playing Damon, the older brother, is even older than Paul. Damon's age is never stated. He gives vague references to being "about 170 or so years" old but no specific number. I remember early on hearing that Damon was supposed to be stuck at about 22, but Ian (bless his face too) is fooling no one. But that's about the youngest you can theorize Damon, and then that brings up the question about why there's such a big gap in the brothers' ages (that is to say, for the time period in which they grew up. Five years was a huge difference to the regular two or so years.) In the end the writers just never addressed it.

• Love 1

I was actually wondering if Catherine was the one who killed her children (hence being haunted by them -- wouldn't they haunt their killer?) but I like the idea of Clarissa better. And that's saying something considering how much I don't like Clarissa.

The actor who played the Cardinal's emissary looking for Conde (in the bright red) looked like an extra from a show about corrupt cops. The least believable period-looking person I've seen on this show.

Kinda miss Narcisse. I'm not buying that the Royal Hardy Boys (Francis and Bash) pulled one over on the Vatican so easily.

I look forward to the inevitable "Am I a bet? Am I a f#*$!ng bet?" scene between Mary and Conde.