Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers With Speculation

SueB
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Bitter Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

Ah, yes, that would be valid...after all, everyone else hexed with the rabid dog spell has died, so Cas would be a suspect.

Dayum. That was an amazing non-sanctioned/unofficial promo. Maybe they should let the ones who made this one make all of the trailers?!? ;-)

(Can't tell if the trailer was done in secret, or just "allowed", but not "official"...)

Edited by Omegamom

I wonder if it was one of those "ask for forgiveness, not permission" things.  Like maybe there is enough plausible deniability about who knew what when during the process. Then they showed the completed project to TPTB at SPN who said, sure, go ahead an post it.  Then they can say it was an in house thing and the CW can't really complain that they did something against CW rules. Per se. If there are any rules about that.

My guess? Cass.

You know, I was thinking that woman reminded me of Raphael.  Something about the line delivery....

ETA  I doubt the CW cares.  Actually, I expect them to appreciate it so they don't have to shell out money to make a promo.

Hi, I'm cynical.  Anyone want to join me over here?  ;-)

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 2

ETA  I doubt the CW cares.  Actually, I expect them to appreciate it so they don't have to shell out money to make a promo.

Yeah, I agree with you... my thought was that they know the CW doesn't have much a promo budget for them so they decided to take it upon themselves to do that for us.  I thought it was awesome.  

So looking further at the trailer. I think the short, schlubby looking guy that Cas is talking to in the alley is Metatron. And there is someone else behind Cas on the ground and then shown with a bag over their head in another frame that looks like maybe Hannah??

Ah, yes, that would be valid...after all, everyone else hexed with the rabid dog spell has died, so Cas would be a suspect.

Oh yes, there's that logic to it. But since I don't believe logic or reason have any place here, I just assumed it was Cass because Cass is always dying lately. ;)

It could be reasonable that it's Crowley, though...according to Sheppard, Crowley is dead, after all. ;)

• Love 2

Hmm, I didn't get that, I thought it was somewhere new?

In the last scene when Dean is whipping the car around there is I think, a vampire in the middle of the road. There is a body with it's head lopped off. And I'm wondering who the woman in the car with him is.  Dean also wakes up in the back seat not the front seat, which is odd.

ETA:  This promo gave me a better feel for Dean and I'm getting a bit of Purgatory!Dean vibe.

Edited by catrox14

No clue who the woman is, but didn't Jensen do the reverse 180 when they were filming the Baby episode? I'm also guessing Dean walking up in the back seat is from that episode, as well, and not the premiere. The back window is broken and we know Sam shoots Baby's window out in the Baby episode.

You know, I was thinking that woman reminded me of Raphael.  Something about the line delivery....

So here's a little "Inside Baseball" for you all on this one  ....

Right after I saw it, I sent a link to Kristin Dos Santos (E!Online), Laura Prudhom (Variety), and Danielle Turchiano (CW Social Media) and told them to get this promo out there because it was great.  Danielle (within 5 mins) tweeted me back that "You do know that's an illegal download?".  I responded that Jim Micheals (producers), J2, Robbie Thompson, Nicole Baer (the editor LIKELY responsible for this BTW) has all tweeted the thing so how could it be illegal.  She said she'd check on it.  In the meantime, Jim Micheals (who was tagged in my tweet back to Danielle) FAVORITED all five of my tweets back and forth with Danielle. Plus I tweeted he owed the post production team chocolate cookies and whiskey (which he and a several others favorited, include the talented Nicole Baer).  Danielle made a comment that it looked unofficial because the youtube account didn't look legit...and THAT is when Jim said it WAS unofficial.

My take: Oh yeah, they did this on their own. And the person in charge of social media did NOT know.  Which makes me suspect it might have been a little bit of "hey, if you aren't going to promote us, we will".  So GOOD ON YOU TEAM SUPERNATURAL.  The boys, a producer, writers, post-production...everyone thru their hand in getting the message out.  I'm kinda proud of them. 

Of course now I'm terrified by tipping off the CW I might have got someone in trouble. OTOH, I have no doubt Jim new what he was doing by the (in my head) somewhat gleeful way he favorited and commented on my tweets.  It is likely NOT against their CW relationship to promote the show on social media.  So.... well done team!  To some extent it's like a very late sizzle reel that they produce annually for Comic Con.  We didn't get one this year because they had no film.  So... there 'ya go.  I'd say it had some sizzle. Finally, it says NOTHING about CW or even the term "Supernatural". It says "The Family Business...." Begins 7 October 15. 

It's pretty damn clever.

No clue who the woman is, but didn't Jensen do the reverse 180 when they were filming the Baby episode? I'm also guessing Dean walking up in the back seat is from that episode, as well, and not the premiere. The back window is broken and we know Sam shoots Baby's window out in the Baby episode.

He did say he had just done the reverse 180 when talking about Baby. So either he did two or they filmed out of sequence.  But I thought maybe the woman was the one he goes to help in the second episode.

• Love 3

So it was the "ask for forgiveness/fuck you CW" vs ask for permission.

Good for them!!!

Also, kind of bummed to learn that Danielle Turchiano works for the CW now. I liked it when she wasn't aligned with any particular network. I'm sure she's happy to have a job.

Edited by catrox14

Heh, you can also tell the CW had nothing to do with it because the release was well timed and well orchestrated.  :-D

The craziest thing is that it really did not give away any big spoilers but gave enough that we know something trippy is happening. It was intriguing and I have a better feeling about the whole thing and I want to know what happens!  Imagine that!

• Love 3
(edited)

Bad Seed description:

SUPERNATURAL 10.03 “The Bad Seed” (October 21): While Rowena (guest star Ruth Connell) tries to consolidate her power to protect herself from the Winchesters, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) search for a missing baby connected to the Darkness. Meanwhile, Castiel (Misha Collins) struggles to heal and Crowley (Mark Sheppard) tries to find a way to use the Darkness for his own personal gain.

from Clarrissa: http://www.thetvaddict.com/2015/10/01/the-cw-teasers-supernatural-izombie-arrow-the-flash-and-more/

Thoughts:
Is that sweet baby in the crib connected to the darkness?  Who wants to bet she ends up Mark of Cain scarred waif we saw in BTS pics???

This is the episode Jensen directs. 

Edited by SueB

You beat me to the punch, SueB. 

Who wants to bet she ends up Mark of Cain scarred waif we saw in BTS pics???

Hmmm...I don't know what to think about that right now. I'm not entirely thrilled with it and it's a BuckLeming episode so I am side-eying that one hard . Isn't this the episode that Jensen said he thought he was making a scene worse with his notes to Misha :(. LOL poor guy. 

Do we know if Misha is in any episodes past 4?

I'm still really nervous that somehow that baby is demon!Dean's spawn. How or why would a baby even end up with the Mark on her heart? It doesn't seem like it would have the ability to consent to taking on the Mark at any point...

Edited by catrox14

Seal of approval from Suzanne Gomez. 'It's a gift to the fans.'

LOL. Wow. that's some spin. Sounds like she had NO idea about this and that makes me laugh. 

"A gift from the show to the fans" but sure as hell not from the CW. I'm sorry that just sounds so....blech.

Oh, it's definitely a different vocalist and a different arrangement.

I think they might be laughing too hard at their own joke.

It is a different singer and even the tempo is different.  The pitch from the older season is a little higher and not as bluesy.  Love that we the fans can figure it out, even if they don't mark it with anything to tie it back to CW or Supernatural...At least I want to watch...wasn't sure I would before.  so that's something

LOL. Wow. that's some spin. Sounds like she had NO idea about this and that makes me laugh. 

"A gift from the show to the fans" but sure as hell not from the CW. I'm sorry that just sounds so....blech.

Usually they don't promote a show that is doing solid but instead promote the ones that they feel need the support to stay on the air.  However, it is a cool promo and makes me wonder...

Personally, I think they are excited about S11 and want us to be excited as well.  And if CW isn't pumping us up, then they're going to do it.  Because, I kid you not, I think the SPN team loves its fans.  Some of us may not love everything they do, but I'm pretty sure MOST of the people who work on SPN feel like it's special and awesome.  And they are eager to share. 

• Love 4

but I'm pretty sure MOST of the people who work on SPN feel like it's special and awesome

To be honest, at least the people who put that promo together IMO either think they are working on someone else or wish they were. By which I don`t necessarily mean a different project but the promos tries so godamn hard to convince you of a tonal shift for the show that I just don`t think will play out. Sure, maybe it`s dark and surreal for the first two episodes or two and a half but after that we`re back to MOTW and comedy standalones and all that.

Baring Season 4, they have never been able to sustain tension over the long haul or pace out their stories differently. And no, they can cut twenty promos together like that and I will still not believe that suddenly, out of the blue, the show will be like The Walking Dead or something. Which wouldn`t even be the problem, not every show needs to have one specific tone. 

I do think honest effort went in that promo and pride too. But I feel like someone made bubblegum in the past and now eagerly tells me they moved on to a better and more prestigious product at work. And I kinda don`t know how to tell them that not only are they still making bubblegum and will forever be making bubblegum but I was never fooled into thinking otherwise. Then pat them on the head in embarassed sympathy.

Yes, the promo is okay-looking but it will probably accurately sell what the show is gonna be for 23 upcoming episodes as much as "Year of the Deanmon" did last year. I`m aware that neither can nor should they spoil all those episodes but I`d rather they sell the tone as it is or will be instead of some glamoured version of it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes, the promo is okay-looking but it will probably accurately sell what the show is gonna be for 23 upcoming episodes as much as "Year of the Deanmon" did last year. I`m aware that neither can nor should they spoil all those episodes but I`d rather they sell the tone as it is or will be instead of some glamoured version of it.

Unambigiously, IMO, this will be over by the end of EP2.  For anyone following the show for more 1 year (meaning they didn't binge watch the rest of the seasons), this will come as a surprise that the TV show with a limited budget does not have a zombie-apocalypse every week.  To those few ... welcome to Supernatural.  For the rest of us, we know... this is the impact of the Darkness and it's not going to be this apocalyptic every week.  It can't be sustained.  Instead, this is most likely the threat of what will be if they don't put the Darkness back in the box.  It's a good credible threat.  At least the "stakes" are not yet another close-to-them person dies.  They're mostly dead anyway.  So.. they are creating the stakes.  Seems reasonable.

If you are expecting the production value of a zombie apocalypse every week.... I think it's unrealistic.  And I think Nicole & friends who made this know EXACTLY what Supernatural is and what the 7 episodes that have already been sent to post-production look like.  And they are proud of it, warts and all.

I don't think it's meant to mislead. It's meant to get you excited for the start of yet another season of Supernatural.  I know what to expect and think those first two episodes look mighty awesome.  Should be fun.  And I'm okay with the rest of the season going thru the usual format.  Or I wouldn't be watching S11. 

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3

Wait a minute.  The woman in the promo sang that version of "Oh Death"?  The one that knows someone is dying?

She must be the new Death.  If not, that's a hell of a lot of coincidences.

Oh, that's an interesting thought.  She did seem very...odd when she delivered that line.  I thought maybe she was psychic or a reaper, but hadn't considered that she could be Death. Hmmm...

Yes, the promo is okay-looking but it will probably accurately sell what the show is gonna be for 23 upcoming episodes as much as "Year of the Deanmon" did last year. 

This is pretty much my reaction to it, as well. While the song was haunting and the bits and bobbles they strung together from what looks like at least four different episodes were too, I think it's misleading if you're expecting this to be the show for more than one or two episodes. But, that's exactly what promos do, IMO. They pull together a few exciting bits to get people all a-twitter and excited for the show. Mission accomplished...I guess? 

Good on them for going it alone, though. I appreciate there's still some folks that care enough about the show to bother. Plus, who doesn't love a little rebelliousness? ;)

Wait a minute.  The woman in the promo sang that version of "Oh Death"?  The one that knows someone is dying?

She must be the new Death.  If not, that's a hell of a lot of coincidences.

Yeah, there must be something more there. Perhaps she's a reaper or something like that?

Oh, oh, oh, I just had a thought...what if it is God she's talking to? Perhaps it's God who is dying? Could it be that God cannot exist without the counterpoint of Death?

• Love 2

If you are expecting the production value of a zombie apocalypse every week.... I think it's unrealistic.

I`m certainly not expecting anything I just know the budget will just never allow. However, you can create a tonal shift within the show through writing. And to a certain degree through the way it`s lit, the atmosphere etc. 

I highly, highly doubt a little MTV show like Teen Wolf has a monster budget. And they did the same kind of "atmosphere" trailers before the new Season. It was promoted very much as darker, grimier, more surreal. Everything you can see the SPN promo wants to accomplish too. And lo and behold, the entire 11 episodes of the Teen Wolf Season were in that mood. So. in that, they accurately promoted the show.

And sustaining the tension is solely a writing issue IMO. Like I said, Season 4 managed to incorporate the throughline of the Season even into standalones reasonably well. Even Season 2 tried something like this with some success. They just never managed it in any other Seasons. But this is something that has nothing to do with money. They could weave the threat of the darkness in without a big effects palooza even in standalones. It just takes some effort and frankly, some talent.

I don't think it's meant to mislead.

I don`t even think so myself. Unlike the "Deanmon Year" thing which was just them all being assholes, this was an honest promotional effort. I am just saying if someone gives a hovel in the woods a nice paint job, it`s still just a hovel in the woods. So, in that vein, I had to roll my eyes at the promo to some degree. 

Was it better than the offical CW Samnatural trailer that came out some weeks ago? Undoubtedly yes. Though, that one bothered me for the same reasons but I also mostly liked this one more because it wasn`t a Samnatural trailer.  

I`m not getting excited either way until Dean gets an actual story. That is the bare requisite for me to enjoy anything. Everything else, I don`t give a rat`s ass about when it comes down to it.  

• Love 1

Oh, and the baby...maybe the baby isn't the next Cain, but the last baby born. Perhaps without Death, there can also be no new life? Hmmm?

Nah, it'll be far more straightforward on this show, right? So, waif she will probably become.

Edited by DittyDotDot

Yeah, there must be something more there. Perhaps she's a reaper or something like that?

Oh, oh, oh, I just had a thought...what if it is God she's talking to? Perhaps it's God who is dying? Could it be that God cannot exist without the counterpoint of Death?

That was my thought too, that she could be a Reaper, but very interesting idea about God!!!  

I appreciate that someone in the show or at least the production team, even if it's just to bolster their own resume, cared enough to make something that reflected what seems to be some key things about the season at least out of the gate. I felt it was straight forward without telling us the resolution of the situation or making it look silly with bizarre and inapt music cues like the CW does with it's promos.

I do think it's a gift from the production team to the fans. I think Turchiano was the most honest when she said that was "illegal" meaning it was not officially sanctioned ahead of time by the CW. Since Gomez is the head of PR for the CW, she really had no choice but endorse it once it was out there. The network couldn't very well be at odds publicly with SPN over a promo.

So endorsing it as "a gift to the fans" after the fact is saving face and it deflects the fact that the promo monkeys couldn't make something with that kind of quality be it for lack of budget or creativity or whatever.  Everything I understand is that showrunners have NO say in what is in the promos from the CW and I'm hearing that from the Arrow forum as well.  

Stephen Amell was really pissed off when the CW promo monkeys put a couple of really important  spoilers into the Arrow trailer. And IMO it's something they SHOULD NOT have included. It ruined the surprises. So he took to Twitter and threw some heavy shade about that.   Now I know there are cynics(of which I lean far more than not) who think that was all just to create PR of some kind about the show whether positive or negative but I don't know if that's the case with Amell. Sometimes he's worse than Jared about saying stupid things on Twitter so I think he meant it.  So my point is that it's not a problem with CW promos that's limited to just SPN.

Anyway, back to the tenor and look of s11 in the 'unofficial' trailer.  I doubt we'll ever get the s1 desaturated look again since they don't use film anymore. That said, I thought there was a shift in s10 to a less colorful palette since like s5, like we saw in the  Hunger Games with that amazing entrance by Dean coming out of the shadows when Metatron thought he was dead. That was beautifully lit and felt scary. 

I thought Reichenbach and Soul Survivor evoked that feeling when it was focused on demon!Dean. And really I thought most of the episodes post Executioner's Song had some geniunely creepy and scary moments if not 'horror' per se, especially the run from 'Inside Man to Brother's Keeper" . I thought Executioner's Song  stood out as being very reminscent of early season in both the lighting and the writing. Cain's mass graveyard scene especially evoked that IMO.

I still say the early truncation of demon!Dean was due to the 200th episode milestone. Since that's not a factor this season I'm hoping they can keep that creepy, spooky vibe from the trailer longer than 4 episodes.  Either way at least the in-house promo gave me a better idea of what's coming out of the gate than CW's crappy promos.

• Love 2

I still say the early truncation of demon!Dean was due to the 200th episode milestone. Since that's not a factor this season I'm hoping they can keep that creepy, spooky vibe from the trailer longer than 4 episodes.  Either way at least the in-house promo gave me a better idea of what's coming out of the gate than CW's crappy promos.

I don't know, I don't think they ever intended to do more than a couple episodes of Demon Dean. The 200th episode could've easily been an alternative universe or a dream, if they'd so desired to do more with Demon Dean. I think the format of the show and TPTB's fear of deviating from that too much--Sam and Dean working cases together--is what limited Demon Dean. There's no reasonable way they could figure to have Sam and Demon Dean work cases together, so they cured him and went back to the typical format, IMO. I don't think it would've mattered if the 200th episode would've been the 15th episode of the season, personally.

I don't know, I don't think they ever intended to do more than a couple episodes of Demon Dean. The 200th episode could've easily been an alternative universe or a dream, if they'd so desired to do more with Demon Dean. I think the format of the show and TPTB's fear of deviating from that too much--Sam and Dean working cases together--is what limited Demon Dean. There's no reasonable way they could figure to have Sam and Demon Dean work cases together, so they cured him and went back to the typical format, IMO. I don't think it would've mattered if the 200th episode would've been the 15th episode of the season, personally.

When even Carver admits that they had to truncate it early and that was disappointing, I'd say it was the 200th. 

• Love 1

When even Carver admits that they had to truncate it early and that was disappointing, I'd say it was the 200th. 

So, I wonder who pushed that agenda if it wasn't Carver.   The network? Singer? I don't think it was Jensen or Jared because they equally seemed disappointed with not getting to play that longer. 

• Love 1

To be honest, at least the people who put that promo together IMO either think they are working on someone else or wish they were. By which I don`t necessarily mean a different project but the promos tries so godamn hard to convince you of a tonal shift for the show that I just don`t think will play out. Sure, maybe it`s dark and surreal for the first two episodes or two and a half but after that we`re back to MOTW and comedy standalones and all that.

I get what you're saying. I mean don't get me wrong, I love me some comedy episodes. But one of the things I really appreciated about season 7 was how intertwined the Leviathans were, even in MOTW episodes. Like that leviathan from the call center and how he would have small scenes trailing the Winchesters. I would love it if they took that approach this season, where even though they are having a MOTW episoe, the presence of the Darkness is still in the background.

• Love 2

Blame the 200th if you want, but I think that's just a scapegoat for the show. There are a thousand different ways they could've done the 200th if they had wanted. Nothing they did with Demon Dean will convince me they wanted anything more with that storyline than to shock the audience with the idea. This show is only limited by the people who make it, so...

• Love 3

I think the Darkness wants that baby.

My WAG for the day is that Amara tells Dean in that weird swirly smoke skyscape that God and the Archangels kept her from her baby or something stupid like that. I really just don't want to be right like at all.

Okay so looking at those pics...and going back and watching the CW promo with that person on the ceiling that attacked Dean.

I'm pretty sure the woman that attacks him is the same woman with him at the house. I think she might be a reaper. The question is who flung her to the ceiling? Since Crowley is in that house, would he protect Dean? Is it some other power protecting Dean or is it a residual or untapped power in Dean from having been a demon and bearing the Mark? 

Hmmm...

There's that "what the Darkness wants" thing again. They are really making a point to bring that up. So... what do you think the Darkness wants?

I can't imagine what a supernatural force older than God could possibly want, but if it were me, I think I'd just want to be left alone. Maybe someone could get me a nice cold drink first though? ;) 

• Love 3

Typically monsters on SPN just want to kill or eat humans, so if they are making a point to focus on what the Darkness wants, I'm assuming that it's more complicated than that.

Plus, put together with the fact that it's been asked "where is the mark"... if I were locked away for millions of years and just got out, the first thing I'd want to do is secure that damned mark and make sure it can't put me back!

I do wonder if the mark and the baby are related somehow.

• Love 2

I can't imagine what a supernatural force older than God could possibly want, but if it were me, I think I'd just want to be left alone. Maybe someone could get me a nice cold drink first though? ;) 

Perhaps just leaving it alone is the issue.  IF the first two episodes with zombie-apocalypse is what happens when the Darkness randomly comes up against people... well.... they just can't let it hang out because it doesn't work out so well for the people. 

Perhaps just leaving it alone is the issue.  IF the first two episodes with zombie-apocalypse is what happens when the Darkness randomly comes up against people... well.... they just can't let it hang out because it doesn't work out so well for the people. 

That's pretty much what I've been saying.  That the Darkness just wants to be free, it has no interest in creating problems.  But it will defend itself, which creates the conundrum.

• Love 1

That's pretty much what I've been saying.  That the Darkness just wants to be free, it has no interest in creating problems.  But it will defend itself, which creates the conundrum.

I was sort of going for a different angle.  I'm suggesting that it's presence in this plane of existence has an natural side effect of turning people zombie-like.  That it simply can't be left alone because whether it wants to or not, it'll eventually causes the symptoms we've seen in the trailers.

• Love 1

Possible, but I would consider that rather straightforward.  No conflict at all.  If it's harming people, then they have no choice but to lock it away again -- ASAP.

Now, if their intention is to only keep the Darkness around for a handful of episodes, then move on to something else (ETA Dean killing Death, for example), that could work.  But I can't imagine it working for an entire season.  How will they have MotW episodes when the world is being populated with Darkness-fueled zombies?  How do they ignore that?

I mean, how do they say, "Yeah, that's happening, but we can't fix it yet, so let's focus on something we can fix?"  What difference does it make how many people they save from other monsters if they'll be turned into zombies, anyway?

Not to mention, it's MoC Dean all over again.  But that's hardly surprising.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

Blame the 200th if you want, but I think that's just a scapegoat for the show. There are a thousand different ways they could've done the 200th if they had wanted. Nothing they did with Demon Dean will convince me they wanted anything more with that storyline than to shock the audience with the idea. This show is only limited by the people who make it, so...

Unless the writing team is really that limited in their thinking, IA the 200th was their scapegoat.  They have basically stated there is a format.  Do a few world issues, monster of the week, comedies and end with world issues.  It's a formula that they are sticking with since they believe it is what the fans want. 

Plus you have fans that won't stick with storytelling that expands over a whole season, so that group think is there.  Gamble added something and I think she was an outside of the box thinker, but also had weaknesses that needed someone to counter her.  The main problem may be that Since Manner's death, the head writers haven't had someone that was a good match to their weaknesses, if that makes sense.

I know they all care.  The unofficial promo shows that if you had any doubts.  I think why I enjoy coming to the forum, is that we all have so many different backgrounds that we think from different angles and it creates a burst of new ideas.  I'm not sure the writers have that opportunity.  Plus they have the pressure, "if we don't please the fans", we won't keep our show.  It's about making money bottom line. So somehow you've got to try to do a little something for everyone. 

Oh, you mean similar how they've always done it? See escaped demons, Lucifer and the Leviathans for reference.

IA that they have stuck with a formula since season 4.  Look it saved us, this is it.  I wouldn't mind the threat being intertwined throughout the season but It is rare for them to do that successfully.  I think that is why I was so mad about "The Darkness"  because I was hoping they were finally trying something new.  I no longer believe that.  It's why IA that DemonDean was just a shock value and then they went "oh crap" how do we get out of this pickle".  Plus they have shot down ideas that writers have asked for -  which would have help with the storytelling. 

Example Season 8, they wanted to show what happened while Dean was in Purgatory and Sam looking for his brother but it was shot down.  I forget which writer it was but it was in this thread I believe.  So that tells me that they will stick to the formula no matter what. 

Just as I know I will love a few eps no matter what, hate some others no matter what and I don't expect a big story for Dean.  If they tease me with one it will whimper out but what's worse I think the Sam fans feel the same way.  So if they were smart they would tell a brother's story and this season does lend itself that way unless they make it about another stupid secret to split the boys apart. 

But even the SOAP writers are having a hard time doing it well, hence the reason most soap operas are dead in the daytime.

According to Death, (if that was the actual!Death which I'm still not entirely convinced is the case, but assuming it is) the Darkness was powerful enough that God went to war against it caused Lucifer's fall from grace (which I can't EVEN with that retcon, ugh). 

If it has that kind of power, I'll be quite disappointed if it's unaware of it's own power or unwittingly brings chaos and destruction to humanity or just wants to be left alone. Maybe it believed/still believes it was/could still be a better "God" than SPN's God and that's why God went to war against it.