Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

From what I understand the Assistant AG was framed for being Locksat (even though she seems kind of young for that).  Castle, Ryan, Espo and almost everyone else think she killed herself because people found out her secret.  Since they think that, they have no interest in searching for the real Locksat. Therfefore, he/she won't go after them. 

Except that since he's going to be back at the precinct working on her cases every week, and she's going to let him, from the outside their relationship hasn't changed and the big bad can get at her by hurting Castle. If she doesn't completely cut him off, she's putting him in danger. And she's not going to.

Edited by Julia

Except that since he's going to be back at the precinct working on her cases every week, and she's going to let him, from the outside their relationship hasn't changed and the big bad can get at her by hurting Castle. If she doesn't completely cut him off, she's putting him in danger. And she's not going to.

I didn't say it was logical, it is very much the opposite of that. But that's what we've been told is happening.

Actually, it's also kind of weird if she pull Vikram into the investigation and puts him in danger, when he is even less experienced with Castle at all this stuff.  But I guess he brought this onto Beckett by calling her.  She did the search, but didn't see the results until Vikram showed up, so wouldn't have been a threat.   

As for Vikram: “Ultimately he is tied to Beckett’s obsession, her search [for Bracken’s partner aka LOCKSAT],” Hawley notes, and to keep him within arm’s reach, “We bring him into the precinct [this Monday] to work as a sort of digital investigator for them. He’s working at the 12th, but he’s mainly there to help Beckett go down her road.”

Since Beckett considers investigating LOCKSAT a virtual death sentence I guess out of all the people she knows she seems to consider Vikram the most expendable.

Let me preface this saying I contributed and am guilty, too, so this isn't a hand slap as much as a friendly re-steering, but some of these posts are more suited for the spec thread.

I will leave them here, but let's please just stick to commenting on media items (articles, etc.) in here and leave actual spec in that thread.

Thanks, all!

1. From what I understand the Assistant AG was framed for being Locksat (even though she seems kind of young for that).  Castle, Ryan, Espo and almost everyone else think she killed herself because people found out her secret.  Since they think that, they have no interest in searching for the real Locksat. Therfefore, he/she won't go after them.  Kate and Rita know the truth and are planning to keep digging.  So, if Locksat finds out, they're in danger. I don't know why anyone believes AG lady was the real Locksat and not working with anyone else, but that's what they have written.

2. I am actually curious how ratings will be impacted.  I talked to my mom, who is a much more casual viewer than me.  Her reaction to this episode was "She left him, but they're going to be working together? That's so stupid, they just want it to be like the beginning.  I'm not watching anymore."  I don't know if that will be typical of the average viewer or not.

1. The stepmother told Beckett at the safe house that Locksat was someone high up in CIA that she had been tracking for years. The assistant AG phone number was on the assassin cell phone which Ryan revealed to the others and then suggested to the rest that she was the top person, but Kate told Espo to keep the murder for the NYPD and not pass to feds which doesn't sound like local interest will stop. Nobody else knows about the stepmother except Kate and Vikram. Just more secrets for Beckett to keep from Castle.

2. My sister was in town last Monday and we watched Castle together. She stopped watching Castle LIVE after Hong Kong Hustle, but she calls me for spoilers to keep up(she is a big Bones fan; she likes the way the couple story has been portrayed since their wedding). After the end scene, her comment was "she is just walking away? Why didn't Castle push her more for a reason? I don't like her lying to Castle. Not interested to watch further if they are going backwards on the relationship".

Edited by VinceW

Not all men would act that way, though. I wouldn't. If it were me, and I can say this from experience, I wouldn't be angry, I'd do my absolute best to win her back. In my case, I actually did win her back and we are married. So I don't think that the situation has to necesarily be handled properly by Castle being angry, and in fact, I think the character of Castle would try to win her back because he does love her.

What experience? I'm referring to Castle and his history with Beckett, not a generalized opinion that nobody should fight for their relationship under any circumstances.

I look at their relationship, see Beckett's behavior since the start, and struggle to understand why Castle in his mind feels like he has to win her back again. That's it, nothing more. At some point people hit their limit or get taken advantage of. Beckett is taking advantage of Castle right now in my opinion.

The show has built Castle into this character that has no spine, no backbone. They can make Beckett do anything to him and his reaction is exactly the same every time. They treat him like a loser, their relationship is hugely unbalanced.

Edited by Chado

LOL at poor man's Chris Pratt suspect you look 40 line to Espo.

Right??!!!  I was watching that and was thinking, wow, is that Chris Pratt's brother?  Now I'm going to have to check the credits.

I was at least relieved that Ryan/Espo weren't able to pass as college-aged students.  Act like older students coming back to school, don't look/sound like idiots!

Edited by pennben

Castle 8x03 Promo #2 Season 8 Episode 3 Promo “PhDead” (HD)

New promo "I know how to win Beckett back"  Urgh. So dumb.

But hey on the bright side he's got specs on finally - this I like!  Although I have seen him in better looking ones but that's the overpowering curse of Luke you can't have it all. lol 

Can't see much that's different from the first one aside from at the very start where he seems to be in his office, the last one I'm sure he was talking to someone in the loft. I figure he ends up telling Martha and in this one he's talking to Alexis?  

Edited by verdana

You're not alone in that given comments I've seen on tumblr and other websites, a lot of fans can't get their heads around that one lol.

Sandra knows best © ‏@Sandraxf  2h2 hours ago
Entertainment Weekly Magazine - "What to Watch" on Monday, October 5th: #Castle

https://twitter.com/Sandraxf/status/650344868246593536

Sandra knows best © ‏@Sandraxf  7 hrs7 hours ago
#Castle fans in Detroit (WXYZ): Castle will be preempted on Monday due to football & air on Wednesday at 1:06 a.m. http://www.wxyz.com/entertainment/dancing-with-the-stars-and-castle-moved-due-to-wxyz-tvs-monday-night-football-coverage

Edited by verdana

You're not alone in that given comments I've seen on tumblr and other websites, a lot of fans can't get their heads around that one lol.

Really? Maybe I should go talk to those people.....Because I swear it's the complete opposite on the TVLine website/comments section and Facebook.

I probably sound really negative about this but It's the first time I've been completely unable to see the other 'side' to this conversation that is being had at the moment. I've always been able to (whilst disagreeing) at least see where the other argument is coming from, at least understand how someone could view it a different way (DC arc, the marriage, destruction of 'one and done' etc).

I just don't see it this time, I really don't understand how anybody can defend this. I'm not sure how Beckett is defendable in this, I don't see how somebody can try logically explain Castle having the mentality of NEEDING to win Beckett back. I can understand him wanting to find out what is happening, I have no issue with that at all.....but that is not remotely the same thing as Castle feeling like he HAS to 'win' her back. It's just so insane to me.

I do know why they did it, because Castle 'winning' her back is how you go back to goofy/clown Castle which is the basis for their humor these days, but I hate the idea that this show is plot driven and not character driven at all (regardless of their answers in interviews). It's the Beckett wedding all over again.

• Love 1

Really? Maybe I should go talk to those people.....Because I swear it's the complete opposite on the TVLine website/comments section and Facebook.

I probably sound really negative about this but It's the first time I've been completely unable to see the other 'side' to this conversation that is being had at the moment. I've always been able to (whilst disagreeing) at least see where the other argument is coming from, at least understand how someone could view it a different way (DC arc, the marriage, destruction of 'one and done' etc).

I just don't see it this time, I really don't understand how anybody can defend this. I'm not sure how Beckett is defendable in this, I don't see how somebody can try logically explain Castle having the mentality of NEEDING to win Beckett back. I can understand him wanting to find out what is happening, I have no issue with that at all.....but that is not remotely the same thing as Castle feeling like he HAS to 'win' her back. It's just so insane to me.

I do know why they did it, because Castle 'winning' her back is how you go back to goofy/clown Castle which is the basis for their humor these days, but I hate the idea that this show is plot driven and not character driven at all (regardless of their answers in interviews). It's the Beckett wedding all over again.

Totally agree, and to the point I caught up with Blindspot and for the first time in 7 years I Won't be watching Castle.  They (AH and TPW) have painted both leads into corners I am not sure they can recover from.  Kate has had a breakdown and needs Carter more than ever, avenging the deaths of a job you worked at less than 6 months takes me back to Fantasy Island.  Rick if he chases his wife who told him she needed to do it on her own, Again, has lost ALL sense of credibility, even in S2 he had the balls to walk away when she lied about Memorial Day.  IT is KATE who should be kissing his arse to work her way back after she lied (Again) and almost got him killed (Again) but the writers go from this heavy emotional roller coaster to what?? Have no clue and it might work out, but I am betting it doesn't and I can always catch up on demand.  IMHO Bones and Castle are going down their final paths, only difference is Show Runners at Castle are Driving fans away by the boat load while the leads at Bones have decided they have had enough time for something new.  Maybe AH can run another show into the ground next year, perfect record so far

Rick if he chases his wife who told him she needed to do it on her own, Again, has lost ALL sense of credibility, even in S2 he had the balls to walk away when she lied about Memorial Day.  IT is KATE who should be kissing his arse to work her way back after she lied (Again) and almost got him killed (Again) but the writers go from this heavy emotional roller coaster to what?? 

I am not defending Kate's choice here at all, but I don't think her actions are part of a pattern at all.  Yes, before she and Castle got together (or early in the relationship) she lied and sometimes pushed him away at times.  But that was a long time ago.  Considering how solid the relationhip has been since they got engaged, it is completely out of character for Kate to be doing this.  She's been very open and honest with Castle and has wanted  to approach things as a team. She was even upset about how being captain meant Castle wouldn't be working with her.

It makes sense to me that after initial anger, Castle would see her actions and be worried about what wrong and making her do this instead of just immediately cutting her out of his life.  IMO that doesn't make him pathetic. I do think it's weird for the writers to use the phrase "win her back," but that's just an interview.  It may play out better on screen.

I know a lot of people dislike Beckett, but if you already hate her for things she did ages ago, it wouldn't matter what she did in this episode.

Of course, it's still a horrible storyline...

I am not defending Kate's choice here at all, but I don't think her actions are part of a pattern at all.  Yes, before she and Castle got together (or early in the relationship) she lied and sometimes pushed him away at times.  But that was a long time ago.  Considering how solid the relationhip has been since they got engaged, it is completely out of character for Kate to be doing this.  She's been very open and honest with Castle and has wanted  to approach things as a team. She was even upset about how being captain meant Castle wouldn't be working with her.

It makes sense to me that after initial anger, Castle would see her actions and be worried about what wrong and making her do this instead of just immediately cutting her out of his life.  IMO that doesn't make him pathetic. I do think it's weird for the writers to use the phrase "win her back," but that's just an interview.  It may play out better on screen.

I know a lot of people dislike Beckett, but if you already hate her for things she did ages ago, it wouldn't matter what she did in this episode.

I was and am a Beckett Fan, never blamed her for her character weakness written sometimes to almost absurd levels,  Agree with you on MOST points but what about no more secrets, isn't that a lie, and her allowing people to get into her head, (Meredith is S 5 now Step Mom) shows how weak your own strength is.  Marriage changes things, and I really believe that TPW or AH have a clue on how to write for a couple, unless you manufacture Angst.  Marlowe said it over and over we did not wait so long to get them together to break them up, and AH was quoted as saying they can try things now they were not allowed to do in earlier seasons, so thus the breakup, where wife grabs a bag, but oh wait next week we are working together and laughing, Horrible Storyline is being kind, the TV Articles are having a field day with the stupidity

This is quoted from the Castle in the Media thread.

Beckett has been battling her obsessive behavior for years. She has had at least two bouts of long term therapy to overcome it. Yet here she is falling off the wagon once again (even having a marriage to lose does not stop her). For me it doesn't matter if she comes back on her own or if Castle "wins her back". If they don't address the fundamental problem of her addiction I don't see any reconciliation being anything but temporary until the next shiny object sets her off again. She needs to sign up for RHA (Rabbit Hole Anonymous).

• Love 2
I know a lot of people dislike Beckett,

I can't even dislike her, because the writing of her decision and the repercussions of said decision with both Castle and Beckett working cases together and Castle "trying to win her back" is so stupid and contrived that I can't even recognise Beckett behind this clusterfuck. All I see is bad writing similar to the her-already-having-been-married crap. 

IMO, you can't have it both ways: Either split them up, go through with it and let her go underground to do what she feels she needs to do or let them work together on this. Two viable options and the writers have to go with the illogical insult to my intelligence.

I must admit I never go on Facebook but reading the TV line comments section (TV line is one of the few mainstream entertainment sites that still cover Castle these days) there are close to 800 comments on there and okay I haven't read them all - I gave up the ghost at about 500 - but skimming down them there are a fair number of fans taking issue with this and the vast majority are not best pleased with this storyline and how contrived it appears.  

But he says it in the promo too...so they're making a choice of using a phrase that's going to be contentious for some fans and it's something they should have avoided, because it doesn't make any sense that he should feel that way given the circumstances. However. I do agree with you that cutting her out of his life is not the solution as he loves her and Castle has to get to the bottom of what's wrong. What I'd like to see is him panicking and taking it seriously and wanting to find out her reasoning for leaving but it doesn't sound like they intend to have Castle address what's wrong at all. He's simply going to chase around after Beckett during cases as if that will solve the problem and that does annoy me because this should be something that devastates them both yet the writers in order to get back to "normality" and fun cases are trying to force them into a situation that doesn't make any sense to me for a couple who have obviously serious issues to deal with and that need to be addressed immediately.

We shall see on Monday and if they've managed to make it look better than how it comes over in those interviews and the promos. 

Yeah bottom line that's it, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.  It is what it is and they'll either get away with it or sink. 

Castle ‏@Castle_ABC  1h1 hour ago

Can he stay away? #Castle is all-new Monday at 10|9c on ABC.

https://twitter.com/Castle_ABC/status/650387596389036032

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
Marriage changes things, and I really believe that TPW or AH have a clue on how to write for a couple, unless you manufacture Angst.  

One of them said in an interview that there was no drama in happiness, so I think you're right about them needing contrived angst.

But he says it in the promo too...so they're making a choice of using a phrase that's going to be contentious for some fans and it's something they should have avoided, because it doesn't make any sense that he should feel that way given the circumstances. However. I do agree with you that cutting her out of his life is not the solution as he loves her and Castle has to get to the bottom of what's wrong. What I'd like to see is him panicking and taking it seriously and wanting to find out her reasoning for leaving but it doesn't sound like they intend to have Castle address what's wrong at all. He's simply going to chase around after Beckett during cases as if that will solve the problem and that does annoy me because this should be something that devastates them both yet the writers in order to get back to "normality" and fun cases are trying to force them into a situation that doesn't make any sense to me for a couple who have obviously serious issues to deal with and that need to be addressed immediately.

I posted this in the spoiler thread, but he doesn't say it in the promo, he just says her wants her back.  There's a big difference.  

I doubt they'll have a a serious conversation this week though.  These last two episodes were serious, this week is going to be fun and games. The two aren't allowed to be mixed together.

Edited by KaveDweller

Beckett has been battling her obsessive behavior for years. She has had at least two bouts of long term therapy to overcome it. Yet here she is falling off the wagon once again (even having a marriage to lose does not stop her). For me it doesn't matter if she comes back on her own or if Castle "wins her back". If they don't address the fundamental problem of her addiction I don't see any reconciliation being anything but temporary until the next shiny object sets her off again. She needs to sign up for RHA (Rabbit Hole Anonymous)

I agree with you about her obsessive behavior.  My point was about her lying/leaving Castle not being the pattern.  She has usually wanted to work with him, even when she was being crazy obsessive.

But what's sad is they already had her deal with this and come to the conclusion that life/Castle was more important (in Always). And they spent several seasons confirming that she had really made progress and was sticking with that moving forward. Which is why this storyline is such character regression and ridiculous.

Edited by KaveDweller

1h drstanakaticRed Lips, Glasses & a Double Espresso mean Last Night Was Great.

#PayingForItNow

#ParisMyWay

https://instagram.com/p/8YvvCtR4dk/?taken-by=drstanakatic

Wow there's that red lipstick again, she was in Milan a few days ago at a fashion show with her hubby and now Paris which is an amazing place, hope she's having a good time but I wonder what they're doing about her filming schedule? Seems odd that she's away at this precise moment.  

I posted this in the spoiler thread, but he doesn't say it in the promo, he just says her wants her back.  There's a big difference.  

Oh in that one you're right he doesn't but in the second one I posted above he says "I know how to win Beckett back" right at the start, it's a different scene. 

Oh in that one you're right he doesn't but in the second one I posted above he says "I know how to win Beckett back" right at the start, it's a different scene. 

Ah, thanks, I missed that one.  It looks like he's in the PI office, so I guess maybe he's talking to Alexis? Hopefully it comes across better in the episode.  I am much more curious how Castle and Beckett will be interacting with each other and how Ryan/Esposito react than seeing Alexis weigh in.

This is quoted from the Castle in the Media thread.

Beckett has been battling her obsessive behavior for years. She has had at least two bouts of long term therapy to overcome it. Yet here she is falling off the wagon once again (even having a marriage to lose does not stop her). For me it doesn't matter if she comes back on her own or if Castle "wins her back". If they don't address the fundamental problem of her addiction I don't see any reconciliation being anything but temporary until the next shiny object sets her off again. She needs to sign up for RHA (Rabbit Hole Anonymous).

Yeah I'm with you on that unless they tackle the fundamental issue of her OJD (Obsessive Justice Disorder as someone called it lol) there's no long term future for them as a couple. What concerns me is that the writers don't see the problem they've created in the way they've suddenly regressed her due to this latest obsession and they won't do anything to address it and figure another hot make out against a door will do the trick. It won't appease me, they've knocked the stuffing out of their relationship with this contrived bullshit and I'm not sure they can repair the damage, this could be the moment when the shark jumped.  

Edited by verdana

But what's sad is they already had her deal with this and come to the conclusion that life/Castle was more important (in Always). And they spent several seasons confirming that she had really made progress and was sticking with that moving forward. Which is why this storyline is such character regression and ridiculous.

Its more than sad, it's disgraceful that they've just wiped all the positive steps she took to get better both for herself and so that she could find happiness with Castle and now it's as if none of that ever happened. They've done such a disservice to the character to create this story and I can understand fans anger and upset, I would rather have her forced to go on the run or have to go into protective custody or something, I know she would have been physically separated from Castle for a while but anything would have been better than this. 

• Love 1

That's the danger in rahashing old storylines. When she inevitably promises Castle that this is the last time why should he or the audience believe it means any more than it did last time. My bet is they use her being pregnant to wipe all this away & give them a fresh start. It would follow their pattern of trauma advancing their relationship to the next stage. It is just about the only card they have left in the deck.

Ah, thanks, I missed that one.  It looks like he's in the PI office, so I guess maybe he's talking to Alexis? Hopefully it comes across better in the episode.  I am much more curious how Castle and Beckett will be interacting with each other and how Ryan/Esposito react than seeing Alexis weigh in.

I say Alexis (since we already know Hayley is not around in this one) it has to be her, I figure that Martha and Alexis know immediately and the big question is does Beckett (or Castle) tell the boys? 

That's the danger in rahashing old storylines. When she inevitably promises Castle that this is the last time why should he or the audience believe it means any more than it did last time. My bet is they use her being pregnant to wipe all this away & give them a fresh start. It would follow their pattern of trauma advancing their relationship to the next stage. It is just about the only card they have left in the deck.

Yeah I know the audience start to lose faith because it keeps on happening. I can definitely see her getting pregnant towards the end of the season, fans have been clamouring for a baby for ages, that is the final milestone moment so it would be a guaranteed crowd pleaser but if that happens it makes it even worse because they're going to bring a child into the equation when Kate could disappear off at any minute on her next justice mission at the whim of the writers. 

I see some fans are assuming the "Mr and Mrs Castle" episode is when they reconcile, they're getting very excited at the prospect and saying they hope she finds out she's pregnant at the same time. I bet they'll be disappointed on both counts. 

Edited by verdana

Ah, thanks, I missed that one.  It looks like he's in the PI office, so I guess maybe he's talking to Alexis? Hopefully it comes across better in the episode.  I am much more curious how Castle and Beckett will be interacting with each other and how Ryan/Esposito react than seeing Alexis weigh in.

There's no way to make that come across better. It's just entirely the wrong mentality for the writers to have. Castle has done nothing that would require him to win her back. That's the end of it, the rest doesn't make sense, it's contrived.

Nobody is going to have an issue with Castle wanting to find out what has happened, it is expected that he will wonder what the hell is going on....but as I said...that is hugely different than him thinking he "has to win her back". The writers refuse to respect both characters. Their approach to this whole situation is ridiculous.

There's no way to make that come across better. It's just entirely the wrong mentality for the writers to have. Castle has done nothing that would require him to win her back. That's the end of it, the rest doesn't make sense, it's contrived.

Nobody is going to have an issue with Castle wanting to find out what has happened, it is expected that he will wonder what the hell is going on....but as I said...that is hugely different than him thinking he "has to win her back". The writers refuse to respect both characters. Their approach to this whole situation is ridiculous.

I have actually seen some people suggest he shouldn't even bother finding out what happened. Not necessarily here, but elsewhere.

The only way it could come across better is if his attitude/words when talking to Beckett are different than when he's explaining things to others. But I'm not sure why I am being optimistic....the split played out even worse than I was expecting.

Wow there's that red lipstick again, she was in Milan a few days ago at a fashion show with her hubby and now Paris which is an amazing place, hope she's having a good time but I wonder what they're doing about her filming schedule? Seems odd that she's away at this precise moment.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nathan and Stana negotiated having a week off once or twice over the course of the season. They film 8 or 9 days an episode, so they can probably do that without it being too noticeable. I think they both had time off like that last season too. Because the three month summer hiatus and couple weeks off at Christmas aren't enough, I guess.

Edited by KaveDweller
The only way it could come across better is if his attitude/words when talking to Beckett are different than when he's explaining things to others. But I'm not sure why I am being optimistic....the split played out even worse than I was expecting.

I'm strangely optimistic too.  Or at least I'm not up in arms about it all yet, when we haven't seen even one post break up episode to see how the new dynamic AH/TPW talked up plays out.  Maybe I've just become inured to OOC stuff on the show, maybe I'm just relieved not to see Douchebag arc x 2 and another episode of angry angst, maybe I just want to roll with some fluff and fun if it's the last season of Castle even if it doesn't make much sense. 

Because the three month summer hiatus and couple weeks off at Christmas aren't enough, I guess.

Lucky actors. ;)

I just hope that if they don't intend to come back for another season (if any) that they can give a heads up to the network asap, so that a proper ending can be written instead of leaving things till the last minute.

But hey on the bright side he's got specs on finally - this I like!  Although I have seen him in better looking ones but that's the overpowering curse of Luke you can't have it all. lol

Will wait to see how it looks in the episode but those specs by Luke look a bit like old man specs. ;)  Somehow I think Luke's idea of a hot professor may not be mine.  Green tweed and a red bow tie.  So staid.

Nathan out promoting Con Man on Extra and here.  He's dressed like Castle, but somehow he looks better than on Castle.

We seem to be headed for a fair amount of Castle and Beckett working together in episodes, which doesn't support all the spec about the leads not wanting to work with each other leading to a storyline where they don't have to work together.  I think it's a shame that all this negative bts spec is floating around because people don't like the storyline and there's nothing on screen to support it so far. 

I just can't with all the fans who are crying for Caskett babies at every turn and as the solution to all Caskett ills.  If anything, the last episode showed that they are completely not ready for Caskett babies anytime in the near future.  And what, they're not together but still have sex?

I would be happy if they reconcile by midseason but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they stretch out this arc till the end of season like always.

I would rather see a Castle who is fighting for them rather than a Castle who has given up.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1
I just can't with all the fans who are crying for Caskett babies at every turn and as the solution to all Caskett ills.  If anything, the last episode showed that they are completely not ready for Caskett babies anytime in the near future.  And what, they're not together but still have sex?

Beckett pregnant would be horrible, probably the worst thing that could happen. You can't split them up for an entire season and have the reason they get back together at the end, be because of her pregnancy.

Please no to that idea, Beckett can't even talk to him.

• Love 1

I suspect this will be the last season. I don't really expect to see them address their trust issues beyond a repeat of the Watershed swing scene.

Beckett: "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have kept secrets."
Castle: "I'm sorry too. I kept my fair share"
Beckett: "It's who you are. You were saving the world & just trying to protect us."
Castle: "Us?"
Beckett: "Yes Castle us. I'm pregnant."

Castle has a huge grin on his face as we fade to black. All is right in Castleland.

• Love 1

There was a scene last season RC and KB in bed KB talking about her future "Whatever is next I don't want to have to compromise my priorities to get there and I never want to be guilty of leaving behind what matters most, RC says you cannot leave behind what is always at your side"  Do Winters and Hawley even watch the show?  KB tops it off by asking him if he just made that up and then climbs on top of him on the bed saying he is so much better than Patterson,  So Sad that the two chuckleheads have decided to throw some tension to what?  Piss off what viewers you have left?  I'm Done

• Love 3

They will be. But still a good episode anyway.

Because of the case or because there's some decent personal interaction/plot movement.

I agree a baby would be a terrible idea at this point. So sad, because I wouldn't have thought that at the end do last season.

I think the new show runners are very ambitious with this plot line. The problem is, with an aging show and already weak ratings, they don't have the luxury of telling the viewers "don't worry, be patient, we know what we're doing." Too many people aren't going to wait around for that.

• Love 1

I agree that Castle having to " win her back" doesn't make sense, but do we know that he has that attitude throughout the whole arc? I just feel like a lot of assumptions are being made.

The whole Break Up for the reasons we have Seen, does not make any sense.  Leaving assumptions out what does the break up accomplish based on what we know, it paints Beckett as the cheese sliding off her cracker and Castle once again in Stand By mode as he was in S2 Demming, S3, Josh, S4 Mothers case, S5 Freaking DC Job, It completely destroys any growth the characters have made, and I was enjoying seeing married Casket take on some of the issues couples face.  Winters or Hawley said they are exploring what they were not allowed to do in earlier seasons, and I remembered Marlowe saying they did not wait this long to get them together to break them apart, apparently Hawley wants to send a message who is charge.  Enjoy it AH, you are turning it into another Following, and your track record of success as Show Runner is not in any danger of staying as unsuccessful as you have been unless you pull something out of your hat

I agree that the new showrunners are being ambitious with the show this season.  For better or for worse, I'm kind of ready for some ambition after several seasons of coasting along.  And even if Marlowe was in charge for yet another season, I'm not convinced he would necessarily write a better show.  The set up for the contrived break up was not done well, and they have a mountain to climb to repair the damage to Beckett's character and Caskett, but maybe it can still pay dividends down the road.  At least I'm not bored yet.

• Love 2

I think the new show runners are very ambitious with this plot line. The problem is, with an aging show and already weak ratings, they don't have the luxury of telling the viewers "don't worry, be patient, we know what we're doing." Too many people aren't going to wait around for that.

They're taking a huge risk that's for sure. Whenever a showrunner comes out and says that I assume they can't have much faith in the story if they have to start pleading for fans to stick with it almost from the start.  

You can only do the "please have faith" routine so many times before the audience lose trust completely and no longer bothers to listen, they cooked their goose good and proper with the wedding debacle, there is no huge ocean of goodwill to go surfing on with this so asking fans to trust them again is going to be an uphill task. 

Why should fans sit around having to put up with a story on the off chance they eventually might see something good at the end? Fans want to be entertained every week not face something akin to an endurance test of their patience. lol.

Edited by verdana
Why should fans sit around having to put up with a story on the off chance they eventually might see something good at the end? Fans want to be entertained every week not face something akin to an endurance test of their patience. lol.

"Stick with it, in 15 episodes you'll get a good scene" Haha, yeah no.

There was a scene last season RC and KB in bed KB talking about her future "Whatever is next I don't want to have to compromise my priorities to get there and I never want to be guilty of leaving behind what matters most, RC says you cannot leave behind what is always at your side" Do Winters and Hawley even watch the show? KB tops it off by asking him if he just made that up and then climbs on top of him on the bed saying he is so much better than Patterson, So Sad that the two chuckleheads have decided to throw some tension to what? Piss off what viewers you have left? I'm Done

That's also the ep where she said maybe she shouldn't have left the AG's office. We saw her get "fired" by McCord.

Edited by Castle75

Guys and gals, this is another reminder: If you want to talk spec about show direction, the show runners, or BTS, unless directly relating to an article or tweet, etc., it belongs in the Spoilers AND Spec thread (emphasis mine). I have just removed two such posts and put them in their proper forum.

So again, unless something ties to Media, it does not and should not get/be discussed in this thread.

Thanks!

• Love 1

Oops, Wendy, I think I've been guilty of just following show discussion in here.  So much vigorous discussion going on, can forget to keep track of which thread it is!

More explaining from the showrunners.  And whoa, THR actually asked if the break up storyline had anything to do with anything bts!  Are they picking up that spec from fandom or there are actual rumours in the industry now?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/castle-bosses-explain-season-8-829206?utm_source=twitter

Did the decision to have Castle and Beckett break up and possibly not share as many romantic scenes together this season have anything to do with anything off-screen?

Hawley: No. In coming to take over the show, Terence and I were on the same page about what we could do to really shake the show up. Not just to do it, but because after 150 episodes you’ve done every case you can do. Happily married is awesome, but it’s also not a value add in terms of dynamics. So we really came into it going, "What can we do to make this thing feel new again?’ It’s about taking anything that’s a given and spent seven seasons just automatically assuming is going to happen and shaking that up. For us, it’s re-energized the writer’s room, it’s re-energized us. When you take away the safety rope, it gets a little exciting. That’s what it was about.

Are they saying that they found the past few seasons of Castle to be boring?  'Cause that seems to be the vibe I'm getting from the tone of some of these interviews.

Might work out better for me if I read less of these interviews because I'm trying not to think too logically about it all ;), but their answers just make me think "that's not logical!".  Also, there's a disconnect between what they're saying and what we're interpreting from onscreen.

The two of you probably expected some backlash and reaction to the Castle/Beckett breakup. What have you thought of the response so far?

Hawley: It’s a bold choice. What’s been rewarding is after the initial flurry of people going after us a little bit on Twitter, there’s been a much bigger outflow of people who felt those episodes are really powerful and dynamic and are excited to see what we do next. We are trying to shake things up, but at the same time what we get into starting Monday night is back to the show being as the stand-alone episodes and a sense of hope and fun.

Some backlash? LOL.  I find it hard to believe that those who were excited were louder/larger than those who were pissed on twitter.

Since the time she was 19 years old when her mother was killed, her life has been completely changed. Even though she took Bracken down at the end of season six, It’s hard to turn those muscles off. We were trying to figure out how can we explore her coming to terms with the murder of her mother all those years ago and what it has done to her and how she can move forward with Castle.

But I thought Beckett came to terms with all that in the pivotal scene in Always!  Her choices now are kind of making a mockery of her choice then.  That's one big problem for me. 

At the end of the day she’s doing it out of love. She’s doing it to protect Castle, not to see if she is interested in other people or thinking maybe they went too fast or he isn’t what she wants anymore. Castle’s definitely what she wants and she’s willing to fight for it.

Fighting for Castle by leaving him and going after her obsession?  Again, that's one big hurdle in logic I can't quite get over.

Hawley: It broke her heart too. … She’s doing it because ultimately Rita said, "Look, this obsession of yours that you can’t seem to get rid of is going to endanger anybody you take with you." That’s what we found was a really interesting journey to start the season with Beckett is this realization that this injustice in her isn’t just tied to Bracken. Her DNA changed when her mother was killed and she started on this journey. Her hope is by pursuing it and seeing it through, she can break that cycle and then be happily ever after.

Another big problem I have and this may be the biggest one as they resolve this break up, is how can we (Castle) ever trust that Beckett won't do the same thing again even after she sees this through?  Her promises are greatly devalued now.  There are always going to be big baddies to take down in her line of work.  When is it enough?  Will she ever put her marriage first?  It's not the question of love that I'm concerned with, it's the matter of trust and her ability to truly break from this obsession, which should have been put to bed seasons ago.

They sound like they want us to sympathise with Beckett, but it's almost impossible at the moment.  I need a LOT more from Beckett than her saying she just wants to get this over and done with.  Well, no, it isn't as simply as that.  She needs to acknowledge her selfish and faulty reasoning and choices she made, not to mention hurt and breakdown in trust created in wanting a break, a breather, whatever, from her marriage.   She can't just move out and move back in of her marriage without repercussions.  I'm afraid we're going to be presented with Beckett's choices as being justified in some way, like because the big bad is really bad. ;)

What we’ll see in episode three is he’s realized the way I can get my wife back is by doing the same thing he did when they fell in love the first time -- work cases with her.

But I don't think working cases with her is the key to getting Beckett back.  It's getting her to get rid of her obsession, or at least not to put it ahead of her marriage.

Or Castle's okay with her obsession but just feels the need to be by her side?

Sigh.  Back to not thinking too hard about all this.

That interview makes no sense for the most part it's so flawed and illogical as madmaverick has pointed out, do they really believe this stuff? I'd like to think not. 

Yeah I do believe they're saying Castle and Beckett were boring over the last few years and their solution is to er split them up. Marlowe's ears must be burning. 

Did the decision to have Castle and Beckett break up and possibly not share as many romantic scenes together this season have anything to do with anything off-screen?

Whoah, never thought I'd see the day they were asked about that but it's been coming, as for their response yeah whatever. 

Happily married is awesome, but it’s also not a value add in terms of dynamics.

Not a value add? Huh?  I guess what they really mean is we can't think of any decent entertaining stories for Castle and Beckett as a married couple so we've decided to fall back on a tired old trope that's been done to death and crossing our fingers we can get away with it. 

What’s been rewarding is after the initial flurry of people going after us a little bit on Twitter, there’s been a much bigger outflow of people who felt those episodes are really powerful and dynamic and are excited to see what we do next.

Really? Okay. I must be hanging out in all the wrong places because based on what I've seen over the last week reaction wise they got slaughtered.  

But I don't think working cases with her is the key to getting Beckett back.  It's getting her to get rid of her obsession, or at least not to put it ahead of her marriage.

Me neither, how did they reach this conclusion in the writers room that the solution is for Castle to keep hanging around her solving cases again? That's NOT the problem! Argh. But Hawley seems obsessed with doing a complete reset of their relationship no matter what and it's so stupid because the characters and the fans have all moved on so there's this disconnect going on between what we should be seeing (given the stage they should be at emotionally) and what Hawley is determined to show.  

I can't believe he's so clueless - you can't go back and reset their relationship like the last three years never happened! 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1