Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

So ... if you're less scared of them defying internal logic of show does that mean tptb are less likely to do something dumb? Because that's really what I'm worried about. It's why I hate premieres, sweeps, and finales (though Castle's been pretty good, all things considered).

New at TV|Line (but not much of anything):

Question: Any further word on Castle‘s Season 8 premiere? —Ben
Ausiello: I can confirm that it will be a two-parter, the first of which will be titled “XY” and penned by co-showrunners Terence Paul Winter and Alexi Hawley.

Ausiello: I can confirm that it will be a two-parter, the first of which will be titled “XY” and penned by co-showrunners Terence Paul Winter and Alexi Hawley.

Question: Can we get another clue for the Blind Item about the couple splitting up? —Meredith

Ausiello: The reason for the split (storyline-wise) will likely incur as much fan wrath as the break-up itself.

https://tvline.com/2015/07/01/nashville-season-4-spoilers-new-character-markus/

(edited)

What was Alias about? I've never heard of it.

Sydney Bristow (Garner) gets recruited yrs ago in college to work for the CIA but she is actually working for a rogue agency SD 6. Her friends (Bradley Cooper, Merin Dungrey)thinks she works at a bank and travels a lot. She also has no idea that her dad (Victor Garber) aka SpyDaddy is a double agent for the actually CIA and SD 6 until the end of the pilot. She gets recruited and assigned a handler (Vartan). The 1st season is Sydney balancing her personal life with her friends while being a double agent for the CIA and SD 6. 2nd season got the Super Bowl ep so that was a game changer so that SD 6 was exposed. The rambauldi mythology was confusing and Sloan's (Ron Rifkin) obsession with it. Sydney's SpyMommy (Lena Olin) shows up out of nowhere. There were time jumps, character deaths, fun supporting/recurrent characters and lulzy Ford product placement.

Edited by turnitwayup
  • Love 2

Question: Can we get another clue for the Blind Item about the couple splitting up? —Meredith

Ausiello: The reason for the split (storyline-wise) will likely incur as much fan wrath as the break-up itself.

Nice to know TVLine is still fishing for clicks. The comments are all "omg, no! totally Castle!" and that's exactly what they want.

I don't see Susan being happy with what she's been told about this upcoming season if she knew it was going to make people angry. Unless they lied to her, or bribed her with a great Martha storyline.

https://tvline.com/2015/07/01/nashville-season-4-spoilers-new-character-markus/

Ausiello, go suck an egg.

I don't buy half of what he says tbh.

Which, if true, would only mean part two is going to be called "XX", right?

Unless the letters are case specific, I'm not sure what meaning XY and Z would have. I'm super confused. Even google came up empty when I googled "XY" to see if there was some other meaning I didn't know of.

(edited)

No shock there about the writers for the two parter. Please don't let the director be Bowman. 

Or she's looking it from an actor's point of view and not a fans. They march in different parades.

Yeah absolutely. What actors may find challenging and exciting is not necessarily going to be reflected in how the fans view things and I can understand why that is, they're looking at it from a far less emotive perspective in most cases. Its a job and they enjoy the process of constructing a role or particular scene and how it might challenge them as an actor.  Okay so there's probably not much that stretches the actors on Castle these days but may be that's about to change with this break up that Ausiello keeps gleefully promoting which seems to point towards Castle. If the story for however long it lasts gives all the actors something different to do from the norm then I expect them to be enthusiastic because God knows they must have been bored out of their brains at times.  

Although I think that should scare some of you!

(remember I like everything that doesn't defy the internal logic of the show)

You've got me a bit nervous Hal, especially since you seem okay with the douchebag arc lol.

Edited by verdana

Hal, whatever is planned for this season, do you think open minded fans will be able to enjoy it? I am a big Caskett fan, but I do think a separation (not divorce) wouldn't be the end of the world as long as the reason made sense. I'm just worried we'll get into The Good Wife territory and have zero scenes with NF and SK together because the writers are backed into a corner. Fewer scenes, ok, but zero? That sounds terrible to me.

Hal, whatever is planned for this season, do you think open minded fans will be able to enjoy it? I am a big Caskett fan, but I do think a separation (not divorce) wouldn't be the end of the world as long as the reason made sense.

The only thing is, didn't the BI say this was likely a permanent split? ASSUMING this is related to C/B, that would have to be a divorce, unless it is the work split we have discussed.

That's a weird title. "XY" ... like ... male chromosomes? That's all I can think of.

There was a TV Show called Kyle XY about a kid who had no belly button and no one knew where he came from.  I think he was an alien maybe? I didn't watch it, I just remember the promos.

The other thing I can think of is part of math problems.  Like XY = 2X - Y and you have to solve for X.  I don't think that's what they are going for though.

Why watch TV then? - regarding the bold.

Hahaha... because I like to be entertained. I guess I should have said I dread those times, not that I hate them. Creating drama purely because they're trying to get viewers isn't always entertaining (see: Castle in a burning car). But sometimes it works: Tick/Boom were great, and they were "high stakes" sweeps episodes that I enjoyed. But as a show goes on and has to one-up both other shows on the air and what they've done previously ... the entertainment factor is often lost in the quest to get ratings.

I also don't mind the doucebag arc. I agree that both characters were reacting to what they saw and we could see that they were both being dumb, but the characters didn't know what we did.

I'd only be upset about a breakup because a romantic breakup doesn't make sense, not based on what they've established in the finale, the last season, or what they've been aiming for since the beginning. A professional break up is just ... been there, done that.

Honestly, the more that comes out and the more Ausiello talks, the less I think it's Castle. I might be setting myself up for a giant disappointment, but at this point I think he's just baiting (Castle, and Bones, to an extent) fans because he knows they'll bite and give his site clicks.

Looking down the comments on TV Line a few think it could hint at a baby but I hope it's not that, we don't need a pregnancy and possible break up in the mix this early in the season. What a mess that would be. 

The only thing is, didn't the BI say this was likely a permanent split? ASSUMING this is related to C/B, that would have to be a divorce, unless it is the work split we have discussed.

It said "put a (possibly permanent!) pin in one of TV's most popular love stories."  Which to me just means he doesn't know about a reunion so it could be permanent, but could also end.  He just doesn't know.

However I do think he acted like how any other hurt man would, even more so how Rick Castle would act, and that's enough for me to keep watching. But I understand that's now how everyone rolls. I can enjoy something but not "like" what a character is doing. Which I think has so gotten lost in the age of the internet.

I get liking a show when you don't like a character's actions as long as they are understandable.  No one is likable all the time, so that's realistic.

So it sounds like you're saying that it could be a break up (professional or otherwise) with a good reason? I'll try not to judge, but I honestly can't think of a scenario where a Caskett break up (personally) makes sense.  Something major would have to happen since they were so solid in the finale.

A professional split because she's pregnant? He runs around with Ryan and Espo while she's stuck at a desk, and then after the baby is born he stays home with the kid? ;)

Honestly, I try to be open minded, but there's not much I can think of that would make sense to the story (fan emotions aside) to break them up. In the S7 finale they're hopelessly in love and in support of each other. Why would they cheat (if that's what it is)? One of the only understandable (but painful) reasons I can think of is a miscarriage or death of a friend/family member that puts distance between them. However, breaking them up permanently after the entire trajectory of the show is their love story, is senseless to me.

• Love 2

I don't understand.So we're supposed to be taking everything Ausiello posts as being relevant to Castle? I still think he's fishing for clicks.

Everything? No, of course not. But his BI items usually pertain to a specific person/show, depending on the context. I have no inside info, so maybe this isn't Castle, but it sounds like the very real possibility does exist.

And, based on Hal's posts, (and halwideman, if I am reading into your posts too much, I apologize profusely!), I am inclined to believe this does pertain to the show.

(edited)

I think you can find one that makes sense if you try hard enough. Now that doesn't mean it's likable. Just that it isn't ridiculous.

Do you have one in mind? I'm not a writer, but ... I don't know that I can.

Not a personal one that's not ridiculous, at least. Not after how they left things in the finale. And any professional one would have to do with NYPD regulations or Beckett's status ... but I've accepted that a civilian could follow around and be a pseudo cop for the last 7 years, so to pull out a technicality now would be pretty ridiculous.

Apologies, but I still feel like this is all speculation based on Ausiello that rolls in sore points from the past year, like the neverending contract negotiations and the speculation that one doesn't like/can't be professional with the other. Until I get something more than speculation fueled by assumptions designed to get people riled up I can't get angry. Because honestly, for me, it feels like what little we're hearing from the cast and crew doesn't really mesh with Ausiello's blind item or our assumptions.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1
Did I just show you my nerd?

Eh, I think we all have some nerd in us, to be at a board devoted to TV! (And I say that with great affection and myself included here!)  :-)

• Love 1

Possible reasons for a breakup that, while painful, wouldn't be ridiculous:

1) Death of a loved one or miscarriage

2) Bracken gets off and Beckett drowns in her mother's case again

3) One of the leads gets sick and forces the other to leave them to deal with it alone

4) ?

One thing noted today (yeah) is the reason for the break in the BI for...whomever...will probably also piss the fans off. (And that could be the trollspeak.) But assuming there is a crumb of truth, post the most idiotic, I guess. TV "logic" eludes me.

3) One of the leads gets sick and forces the other to leave them to deal with it alone

4) ?

4. Some kind of career thing forces them to live apart.

5. One of them has to go into witness protection.

I just feel like they are committed to each other and if something hard comes up they should be facing it together and not splitting up over it.  Unless it is more of a break to deal with something and they both know they want to end up back together.

One thing noted today (yeah) is the reason for the break in the BI for...whomever...will probably also piss the fans off. (And that could be the trollspeak.) But assuming there is a crumb of truth, post the most idiotic, I guess. TV "logic" eludes me.

I'll be honest, I don't even understand what he meant by that.  The reason will piss people off as much as the break up? Well, of course it would, it's all tied together to the fans.

(edited)

Looks like Stana had her meeting with TWP and Hawley

Stana_Katic: Had a great mtg w @AlexiHawley & @OldManWinter14 about S8! (Nail-biter) Love #Castle cast&crew. Looking forward to playing together again.

aww

agbthot: @Stana_Katic love you queen of the castle
Stana_Katic: That's @realssullivan  twitter.com/agbthot/status…

haha love the cycling emoji instead of the motorcycle

agnetdunett: @Stana_Katic @AlexiHawley @OldManWinter14 this is going to be the season were we see Beckett riding her bike, right??

Stana_Katic: Dunno. Hope so. twitter.com/agentdunett/st…

Edited by turnitwayup

One reason why an emotional breakup would piss me off is that it would repeat the old pattern of any series involving a romantically-paired couple. It seems that maintaining the romance inevitably bores the people involved, or that showrunners can't understand why anyone would want to see it continue when the audience could have Drah-ma!!! I just wish some series would finally break that pattern.

A professional break-up is at least manageable in this regard, and whatever happens, I do hope Susan Sullivan get lots of time.

I'm kind of wondering if the cast has been gently encouraged to tweet something positive to counter all the aggro...<g>

• Love 4

And now I'm wondering if the Synths on Humans have belly buttons.  Anyone seen that? The British version of the very spooky Swedish series is on a limited run here.  Wont' take the place of Orphan Black in my heart, but excellent so far.

(edited)

For the vast majority of fans they'll react badly to a split irrespective of the reason that's a no brainer but an emotional one would really set the cat amongst the pigeons and whatever the writers produce in terms of reasoning (be it realistic or not) I suspect many will say why did they bother getting them together and in a (seemingly) happy and contented place only to separate them again in such a short space of time.

I can think of reasons why they might split (personally) that aren't flat out ridiculous but I'm with Cyranetta I rather naively hoped that Castle would be the show that broke the mould and didn't go down that predictable road. 

We shall see, I am very interested in how they're going to go about it from a writing POV as I love analysing the crap out of everything and also how they choose to handle it promotion wise. I can well believe that the cast have been told to bang the drum about S8 and what's coming up even more than usual given TPTB must know that fans are getting increasingly worked up over this. I saw a few tweets on my dash heading Winter and Hawley's way when the blind first broke and chuckled and thought this is just the start of the fan drama as it builds you ain't seen nothing yet. 

I bet Winter will be off Twitter soon at this rate, he never wanted to be on there in the first place, he's now got a good excuse to quit. LOL. 

However this story pans out I hope fans behave themselves with cast and crew and refrain from sending stupid messages getting angry and hysterical it makes me cringe with embarrassment even if I can understand why they're upset. Is that too much to ask for? Probably.*sigh* 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I think I may be done with this show. I didn't invest the time to watch 7 seasons of this show to see a split between C&B. I mainly watched because it was fairly light hearted and didn't take itself too seriously and I enjoyed the romantic side too. I know that the romance isn't the main reason for a lot of people to watch but for me it was. I really don't like the sound of what is being planned for season 8 and it saddens me. I know it's probably too soon to make these judgements, especially when they haven't started filming yet but none of the rumours that are floating around out there are making me feel any better about wanting to watch next season. Oh well, there's plenty of other shows out there with less drama in the fandom and BTS. Guess I'll pick one of those. :-(    

• Love 2

Do we know what deal Stana has for season 8 ? Is she going to be in there for ALL episodes or just like half a season ?

If they wanna break them up or something because Nathan stays for more than this season and Stana leaves, they better kill off Beckett. I don't wanna see Castle getting another divorce. Turn him into a widower. I don't want cheating or lying or all this usual bs.

• Love 3
(edited)

cappuccino.It was confirmed by TV Line a while back that Stana is contracted to appear in every episode, I'll see if I can find the link to it. 

If they wanna break them up or something because Nathan stays for more than this season and Stana leaves, they better kill off Beckett. I don't wanna see Castle getting another divorce. Turn him into a widower. I don't want cheating or lying or all this usual bs.

Cheating would be a complete betrayal for the fans - not to mention Beckett - and way to go writers in utterly destroying Castle as a character and making him look an utter douchebag. I can accept a lot from the Castle writers but cheating is something I won't sit and suffer through. 

As for killing Beckett off, I don't like that idea because the show is founded on a sense of light heartedness and quirky humor and it's difficult to envisage Castle as the grieving widower.  Who wants to watch a guy mourning his dead wife for too long? He would have to get over it quickly or they'd need a time jump, I don't see either of those scenarios working TBH in terms of keeping or attracting new viewers to a S9 Castle with only Fillion at the helm. If Katic leaves at the end of next season I hope everyone has the common sense to realise they've gone as far as they can go, wrap everything up nicely and call it a day.

cappuccino. Here you go this is the link that confirmed it under "This AAnd That…"

http://tvline.com/2015/05/19/greys-anatomy-season-12-spoilers-arizona-callie-new-loves/

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)

Another point of interest it going to be the ratings and watching if there's any obvious change from the normal dips and troughs that you get each season. They've been falling gradually over time as I would expect on an ageing show but they've been stable enough that I don't tend to overly worry about them as some tend to do. It will be intriguing to see if there's a marked shift downwards once this story arc starts.

Edited by verdana

I read a fic the other day where Castle died in the car crash.  It was heartbreaking and beautifully written, but nope, it's just not what I look for when it comes to Castle.  Castle's my light-hearted bit of comfort TV where I go to enjoy onscreen chemistry, romance and comedy and occasional none too dark drama.

If whatever the writers have planned is going to upset that boat, then they really, really have to bring it in terms of the writing to convince me it'll result in a good story.  Judging from their past record, Castle writers haven't been able to pull it off, at least not to me, when they've made the characters unlikeable (even if arguably justified in their actions) and when angst comes off as manufactured to create a dramatic obstacle.  Characters have suffered when they've gone in those directions, and any resulting resolution has never completely taken the bitter taste of having to endure a horrible arc.  Nor did I find the cost to the characters worth in the end because I didn't find that they grew more interesting as a result of these arcs.  Maybe it's the light-hearted nature of the show, but I like it when Castle characters are likeable.  This isn't a Breaking Bad kind of show for me. ;)

Now, the new showrunners could be turning a new page on Castle and maybe they have the abilities to do what the previous showrunners couldn't, but it's a huge task they've set themselves if they want to generate a creative renewal on the show by breaking up Caskett, either professionally or personally, especially the latter.

What's interesting is that they seem to be ambitious at this stage, and not just coasting along with what was and treading water.  They look like they really want to put their stamp on this new era of Castle.   Making a statement by opening with a 2 parter.  We'll see if they made the right calls with the risky stuff they've set in motion.  Also interesting to me that they'll be writing the premiere as a joint effort, and I wonder who will get assigned the second of the 2 parter.  I know what I've come to expect from Marlowe/Amann and it never was anything that compelling, so fingers crossed that TPW/Hawley do better.

New tag line ideas for season 8:

Always? Nope
One and Done...And One

;)

Well, Marlowe wrecked 'One & Done' already in my book.  And all for what?  Cheap laughs? ;)

Caskett vowed to be partners in crime & in life.  Is that going to be torn asunder before even the 1st anniversary of their marriage?

Exactly, thank God for that.  

XY made me think of male chromosomes too.  Is a new conspiracy/villain, season long arc afoot that explains the need for an opening 2 parter?

Also made me think of Coldplay heh.

(edited)

I am being the old man from Dungeons and Dragons.

I've never played that game so don't know what that means heh, but Hal, you might get a kick out of something I saw posted at that castlefanfics tumblr earlier. Nathan wrote back to a fan of D&D and his reply was pretty cool.  Kind of a random thing to write to him about and to get a reply?  I'm not sure what the connection is.  But anyway, the spirit of the reply was understood although I don't fully understand all the intricacies of the game play.  http://darkthold.tumblr.com/post/122432618040/nathan-fillion-answered-my-email-about-how-to-play

And I think we've all shown our nerd by being here.  Viva la nerd! :P

Or she's looking it from an actor's point of view and not a fans. They march in different parades.

All too often forgotten by fans.  The actors may crave challenging work.  As a viewer, I don't crave a challenging viewing experience from a show like Castle if challenging means having to make sense of nonsensical plots and OOC turns.

No shock there about the writers for the two parter. Please don't let the director be Bowman.

Now that we've finally got fresh hands in charge, it will be interesting to me if they start letting go of certain arguably annoying aspects of the show that they've held onto in the past.  Constant interruptions with kisses to name one.  Dim lighting to name another.  I wouldn't miss either.  Neither were welcome to begin with and they've long overstayed.

Ausiello has built his career on baiting fans with a melodramatic show and dance with spoilers, and his unique brand of snark.  It's worked well enough for him, so don't look for it to end anytime soon.  ;)   Yet another blind item from him.  Must be clickfest week on his site.  I don't think he's watched Castle in a long time, only Matt does, so bear that in mind with his spoiler posts.  But they just as well could have been written by Matt or an intern. 

I guess what you should ask yourself is what scenarios would you accept Caskett breaking up?

4) ?

4. Some kind of career thing forces them to live apart.

5. One of them has to go into witness protection.

I prefer nothing painful, definitely nothing ridiculous, but if we have no choice.... ;)

I've read fic where they drift apart because of the demands of Beckett's new Capt. job and not being partners at work anymore, but this still doesn't really make sense to me on the show when they've shown Caskett growing stronger during the PI arc and the DC arc, and with Castle being so supportive of Beckett's career aspirations, whatever they be.  

I thought about 5 too.  Maybe interesting idea in fic, but hard to execute well on TV.  And it would involve more conspiracy stuff, which I'm not really a fan of.

Miscarriage or serious illness is just too painful to contemplate.  Infidelity is impossible to imagine.  Having bad flashbacks to "we were on a break" breakup on Friends.  A breakup that happened even though both were still in love with each other.  Heartbreaking and a seminal moment on the show, but I never thought R&R were written as well afterwards.  That's my fear with Caskett.  Like with the douchbag arc, the horrible proposal, the out of the blue disappearance, those things don't add to the relationship but take away from them and there's no real do-over even if there's a happy ending in the end.

6.  Castle needs a break from writing Nikki Heat and because shadowing Capt. Beckett's paperwork isn't quite the same, so Caskett break up professionally while Castle looks for new inspiration.

Bottom line is, I don't want to see Caskett break up personally or professionally on a permanent basis.

Edited by madmaverick

I don't see how being apart for specious reasons and brooding is challenging for the actors. I would think they (and particularly Nathan Fillion, who's been doing it since he was a young actor) would be bored to death with it after all these years. 

My first thought re: XY was the X-axis and the Y-axis, LOL. Maybe because they poisoned my school years. But it could be like, they go in different (perpendicular) directions, if the split happens in the premier. Or is it just me with my math nightmares?

• Love 1
(edited)
Caskett vowed to be partners in crime & in life.  Is that going to be torn asunder before even the 1st anniversary of their marriage?

I wonder if the writers realise they risk making previously much loved and enjoyable scenes (or special words) feel tainted by what's come afterwards which is very sad.  I remembered that "partners in life" line after all this speculation and I thought that didn't last long. 

I guess I won't be hearing "Always" mentioned that much any more either between the two of them and will the coffee delivery runs by Castle dry up too? Guess so if he's stuck at home or out elsewhere.

Although I predict an eventual kiss and make up session by the swings.....

Thanks for the link madmaverick. That email from Nathan was pretty cool, "a full minute of silence will be observed to  honor the fallen" heh and "proper manners will take you far in life" so true!

Edited by verdana
I read a fic the other day where Castle died in the car crash.  It was heartbreaking and beautifully written

Oh you wouldn't happen to remember what it's called by any chance? I'm in the right mood for reading "warning death of major character!" fanfic. 

I got unclassified in maths it was incredibly embarrassing, I tried again and got a D then went to work at an accountants as my first ever job LOL. I do hope they're not going to start bombarding me with maths equations on Castle during this case, oh the misery! 

(edited)

7) (possible reason for breakup) Beckett finds out she's adopted and her real parents are Hasidic Jews so she has to divorce her non-Jewish husband

8) Beckett has been in a coma since hanging off the balcony in Always and wakes up to see Castle has moved on (though that's not technically a breakup, it's a never was)

9) Beckett and Esposito stop denying their secret love for each other

10) Beckett and Rogan are still married and have been setting Castle up with a long con

Edited by FlickerToAFlame
  • Love 1