Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Castle boss discusses 3XK's 'unfinished business,' Kelly Nieman's return at EW

Amann really does love this "mythology" business doesn't he? 

Although Amann doesn’t promise that this two-parter will provide closure to the 3XK storyline, he does guarantee that both Jerry Tyson and Kelly Nieman will play a large role in both episodes.

I really, really hope they wrap things up, I don't see how they move the story forward after this into any area that would be fresh or exciting. 

Edited by verdana
So why is 3XK back? According to Amann, it has everything to do with revenge on Castle. “He regards Castle as the person that is perhaps most capable of bringing about his undoing and so for him, it’s unfinished business,” Amann said. “And I think there’s also a sense that Castle has bested him in the past that’s hard for him to abide by.”

And what could be better than tormenting him through the taking of a loved one, that's predictable. I hope Castle gets to finish him off in the end because if he's worried about Castle then at some point there has to be a showdown between them. Mosley's been good in the role but enough is enough. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

“The Wrong Stuff” – When an astronaut training for a trip to Mars is mysteriously killed inside a Mars simulation, Castle and Beckett don spacesuits to investigate. But when they discover no one inside the sealed simulation could have committed the murder and no one from the outside could get in, the case takes a shocking turn, on “Castle,” MONDAY, FEBRUARY 23 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Source: ABC Medianet

They've had her as the kickass cop hero saving others many times already so it could be interesting for them to play a different note and have her be the more vulnerable 'victim' this time.  I'd like to see something different on top of more run of the mill "badassness".

Count me in on wanting to see something different than the usual teeth grinding, vein throbbing, badass Becks. That's just as cliched and eye roll inducing in some ways as any damsel in distress routine. So if they can skirt away from both of those extremes that would be a good thing in my book.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
Do we have a reason to believe she won't be doing that?

(that's not snark I'm honestly asking)

I can't speak for anyone else but, yes, I do. The season of Castle and Beckett being taken down a peg and off her moral high horse [hey, not my words but AWM] makes me believe she wouldn't. Personally speaking? The Beckett I see this season isn't the Beckett of 6 seasons past...she can be onscreen but I still feel like she's not there. 

I can't speak for anyone else but, yes, I do. The season of Castle and Beckett being taken down a peg and off her moral high horse [hey, not my words but AWM] makes me believe she wouldn't. Personally speaking? The Beckett I see this season isn't the Beckett of 6 seasons past...she can be onscreen but I still feel like she's not there. 

Yeah I know where you're coming from with that, she's become a much more passive presence this season and it's frustrating. But I'm not surprised at all, as soon as they admitted at the start of the season that they couldn't write for two characters at the same time and they wanted to focus on Castle then the outcome was inevitable. 

Edited by verdana

So ... that Mars episode doesn't sound so awful. I mean, it definitely could have been worse.

And, well, it's actually kind of comforting that despite whatever goes down in the next two weeks, Castle and Beckett make it themselves (and not clones?). Not that I was really worried, but it always seems like when I'm not worried is when things go haywire.

Does that mean Castle's back at the 12th?

The Beckett I see this season isn't the Beckett of 6 seasons past...she can be onscreen but I still feel like she's not there.

Can I ask what you mean there? I don't see any difference with her character than past seasons.  There hasn't been quite as much for her to do in terms of a long-running story, but when I do see her she still seems the same. I think Castle does too.

The season of Castle and Beckett being taken down a peg and off her moral high horse [hey, not my words but AWM]

I know he talked about taking her down a peg with the Rogan thing, but I don't think he ever said anything about a moral high horse.  Did he?  But honestly, I never felt like that came across as taking her down a peg.  It just came across as stupid (the previous marriage thing).

Are there anvils pointing to a pregnancy, though? I mean, there have been times where I kinda think "oh ... people are going to think that's pregnancy related", but it's always stupid stuff like Beckett drinking water or carrying a folder. It's kind of amazing what tumblr gleans from probably just regular stuff. Nothing that I've really seen and thought "oh yeah, definitely a pregnancy trope".

I mean, I see how it could be that they're setting the story for a pregnancy storyline, but I think that's going to be (A) a season-ender, and (B) something they're going to have to think hard about, because that's going to change the dynamic of the show, especially if they want to attempt another season. A pregnant Beckett does not gel with the theme of the show.

It would make more sense to me if they approached a baby storyline that ended in a not-baby (for now). Like, it all culminates in a false alarm, which leads to a discussion about even wanting kids, how that would impact their lives and careers (Beckett would be desk-bound/on leave for a good year, Castle would end up being a stay-at-home-dad again, effectively ending their precinct partnership for the foreseeable future), and what that means, both for them and for the show. That way it opens the door for a baby in the future, but not at this moment, and also gives their relationship a bit more depth everyone's been craving.

I think baby talk is at least a logical progression, and I'm all for happy family stuff, but I do seriously question how that will impact the story they're telling ... and I think maybe now isn't the greatest time to broach it. Marlowe doesn't have the greatest track record with following through on storyline changing events. A baby feels more of a series end thing, IMO, and I don't know if we're to that point yet. Unless TPTB know something that we don't (which would be either Stana or Nathan has said they're done), but that seems unlikely, given the positive comments that came out of Media Day or from Jon.

We'll see, I guess.

Ooh, yay! It's been a while since Stana's made the latenight rounds and while I wish she'd made it back to the Late Late Show with Ferguson, I like Kimmel. One of my favorite interviews is the one where she demonstrates the knife skills she learned for Stiletto with him. :)

The "you do crazy things for your kids, you'll see"

I feel like that's the only "anvil" we've gotten that it's coming, but I guess we'll see what happens tonight.  I don't see a pregnancy happening until season end though, because then they can do a time jump to wherever they want to pick up.

• Love 1

Plus in terms of ratings (and this is what ABC would be thinking about too) - if they do get an presumed S8, then by making her pregnant now it means baby can be born in the premiere (or wait a bit and you have a November sweeps baby).

On a completely different note 7.17 is scheduled to air on March 16 (credit Studio System).

Edited by Nadine

Interesting week to have her on in the scheme of things - but it's the week that Late Night shows have good guests due to the Oscars, etc.

I posted this in the spoilers thread but bringing it over here. Tentative air date for 7.17 (credit Studio System) is March 16.

From that Tamala interview:

“I don’t think it’s completely over between Lanie and Esposito. I think that they’re still booty call lovers and they are gonna continue on that,” Jones said.

Did she not see last week's episode? Espo certainly thinks things are over, otherwise why not invite Lanie to go on the weekend as a friends with benefits thing?  They need to give Lanie something else to do.  Imagine how excited Tamala would get if she had a real storyline.

I posted this in the spoilers thread but bringing it over here. Tentative air date for 7.17 (credit Studio System) is March 16.

Interesting pacing. Because if 7x17 airs 3/16, that leaves 7 or 8 weeks for 6 episodes. (depending on if the season finale is 5/4 or 5/11).

That also means that they're likely taking 2 weeks off (3/2 and 3/9).

The show isn't ending.

No, I'm not really afraid of that at this point. I just think it's easier, generally, if a baby is "the end", because there's less to think about having to deal with. Very rarely do shows deal with having a baby around well, and I think that would be even harder with Castle, just because of the nature of the show.

I'm all for a Castle/Beckett baby, but not now. Some undefined future would be just fine. :) Although ... if they have a baby, it might give Martha and Alexis more to do (they can be with the baby!), so there's that at least.

• Love 2

Interesting pacing. Because if 7x17 airs 3/16, that leaves 7 or 8 weeks for 6 episodes. (depending on if the season finale is 5/4 or 5/11).

That also means that they're likely taking 2 weeks off (3/2 and 3/9).

Forgot to add that is the night DwtS also returns. It goes in line with the S5 pacing.

Edited by Nadine

Ah, that makes sense then.

It usually seems like they draw out the spring half of the season - they'll do 12 or 13 or so episodes in 17 or 18 weeks, as opposed to the 10 episodes in 11 or 12 weeks of the fall. It always feels like they take so much more time off! I'm actually pleasantly surprised that it seems like they're grouping the weeks off instead of taking  random week here and a random week there.

Grain meet salt = Tamala. I don't watch or read her interviews b/c they are usually over exaggerated or what she wants; not what's gonna take place. It's been this way for seasons. 

I know she's been doing it for ages, but it still annoys me every time :).  Which is a shame, because I think she's probably very nice IRL and deserves the storylines she's always talking about.

How are we talking about the season finale already? Didn't the premiere just air? What is with time speeding up..

• Love 1

So ... that Mars episode doesn't sound so awful. I mean, it definitely could have been worse.

And, well, it's actually kind of comforting that despite whatever goes down in the next two weeks, Castle and Beckett make it themselves (and not clones?). Not that I was really worried, but it always seems like when I'm not worried is when things go haywire.

Does that mean Castle's back at the 12th?

It's Castle we're talking about here, the events of the two parter will be forgotten about by 7.16 which yeah doesn't sound as bad as it could be. I sense Castle will have his feet firmly under the precinct desk again by that stage. 

I agree with Hal, I used to think that a baby would change the show out of all recognition but watching how these writers work I've had second thoughts.

The baby will simply disappear into magical TV day (and night) care never to be seen again except for the odd scene when they need to remind the audience they actually have one and generate hysteria on tumblr as if no one has ever seen a baby before. Then they can then ignore the situation and carry on solving cases as usual. I also doubt it's going to add any substantial layers to their relationship whatsoever because that would mean having to deal with the ramifications of them having a baby and how it affects their lives and they're not interested in that kind of storytelling on this show.   But for once this doesn't bother me because I find kids boring on TV so off screen Castle and Beckett parenting suits me just fine.

50% of me thinks season end.

50% of me thinks she's already pregnant.

I think season end, thought they might wait a bit longer but the reviewers comments on this one have me convinced they're starting the build up to it.    

Edited by verdana

Yeah, pretty sure that Beckett's not currently pregnant. (Or, at the very least, it's the TV trope - if she is, she doesn't know.) Looks like she's not opposed to the idea, though I don't think that's really all that surprising. I've always assumed kid(s) was somewhere in their future, so it's actually kinda nice that they're thinking about talking about it.

The thing that actually annoys me the most about Tamala is that she doesn't know how to spell her own character's name (which she's been playing for more than six seasons). She seems super nice, but I can't really take her seriously because of this. 

Didn't I read before - thought it was in this very thread - that it was spoilered, or at least rumored, to be that not only would KN/JT return for the 2-parter, but Castle's disappearance storyline would tie in, too? 

Curious, because the first part of it offered absolutely no hint of the "ultra mysterious" new 'mytharc'.

I vote pregnant and doesn't know it.

Do they have the balls for a miscarriage story?

I mean they shot her in the heart and killed her perfect wedding day. Why not?

My guts says they wouldn't go down the miscarriage story purely because we know the next episode she's at work investigating the space murder. So unless they do a two minutes in 715 there wouldn't be much of a follow on (from what has come out about spoilers of what they've filmed for the episodes since 715). Even though from a viewer's point of view I wouldn't actually be against seeing a storyline like that on the show.

Since Stana didn't do as much filming as the others in 715 I'd be very surprised if her screen time is more than what Nathan had in Driven and ITBOTB (I use those two as comparisons in terms of days on set except in reverse). But that is pure speculation from my end since they might have done some stuff when they were filming 714 prior to the Christmas break.

iRarelyWatchTV36, Amann teased about it would make Castle reflect on the time - I'm guessing more on the lines of when he disappeared how the others reacted since he's in the same situation in reverse of not knowing where Beckett is, etc.

• Love 1

Having had several miscarraiges. the physical effects of an early miscarraige (three months or less ) are no big deal. Really just a very heavy period and bad cramps. Given that women these days are testing within days -- or possibly when jumping out of bed-- Beckett not knowing would mean a very very early pregnancy indeed.

Emotional fallout is another thing.

Having had several miscarraiges. the physical effects of an early miscarraige (three months or less ) are no big deal. Really just a very heavy period and bad cramps. Given that women these days are testing within days -- or possibly when jumping out of bed-- Beckett not knowing would mean a very very early pregnancy indeed.

Emotional fallout is another thing.

Thanks for the clarification and sorry to hear about your personal experience regarding it. It was definitely more the emotional fallout I was leaning towards and since we know the two episodes post-715 have lighter storylines (unless I totally missed it in the spoilers) it doesn't look like there's the emotional fallout there. Though I wouldn't be against seeing Dr. Burke again, did love his scenes in S4.

Since Stana didn't do as much filming as the others in 715 I'd be very surprised if her screen time is more than what Nathan had in Driven and ITBOTB (I use those two as comparisons in terms of days on set except in reverse).

Looks like you were spot on,  Nadine. In this teaser article, Amann states that Beckett's screentime in Reckoning will be similar to that of Castle's in Driven. As a huge Beckett fan, I hope she'll have some agency in her own rescue and not just have to rely completely on Castle and the boys to get out.

The rest of the tease is pretty much what I expect from Amann, roundabout and rather vague. Case in point: 

As for Tyson and Nieman, fans shouldn’t expect much background on what they’ve been up to since we last saw them. They should, however, expect some hints about their future. “We will get a little bit of a sense of where they hope to be going moving forward in the next episode so it will be mroe about where they’re headed as opposed to where they’ve been.”

Edited by metaphor
  • Love 2

Though I wouldn't be against seeing Dr. Burke again...

Maybe if he came back to help Beckett through any trauma, he could stick around and help Castle recover those missing two months too? Heh. 

• Love 1

From that article it seems that there is no way Tyson and Neiman won't be back again in future episodes, which is annoying to me. I guess Marlowe and Amann can't live without having a Big Bad in their pocket for later.

• Love 3

I feel the same way, GeorgieNY.  Why am I not the least bit surprised at this?  Marlowe/Amann never could resist stretching a story beyond its welcome.  Just look at the mombatross.  There's a reason it's called the mombatross. ;)  Is it really so hard to come up with even one Big Bad per season?  And who knows how long any pregnancy storyline would be stretched out?  Just like the wedding planning arc that ended in the wedding (and mythology) that never was.

• Love 3

Also in agreement. I mean you look at shows like Bones and The Metalist where they stretched the Big Bag of the series out so much that it has become cartoonish. Now, they are saying: "Tyson and Nieman will be again because they are evil." It was like Bracket, that has finally met a point to where there wasn't anything else they could do. However, instead of building up a new Big Bad they have to keep falling on that honestly needs to be wrapped up now. They introduce the new "mythology" with Castle's disappearance and stretching out the wedding and haven't even touch on it at all now. How many times can Tyson convince people with his "unlimited" resources or Nieman do everything but shooting people on camera before they finally go down?

Based on that article it seems like Beckett isn't pregnant, but this is just their rather obvious way of bringing it up because it's something they'd like to explore.

I think that's okay. Honestly, I always assumed it would be tackled at some point. I've always assumed that Beckett was open to kids and Castle would love more anyway, so why not? I think talking about it givesvtheir relationship more depth, because isn't that a discussion you have with your partner?

I'd be okay with them decide to try for the future, or maybe not trying and just letting things happen, but I don't think they need a pregnant Beckett to keep the series going.

iRarelyWatchTV36, Amann teased about it would make Castle reflect on the time - I'm guessing more on the lines of when he disappeared how the others reacted since he's in the same situation in reverse of not knowing where Beckett is, etc.

Ahh, thanks Nadine.  Makes a lot of sense. 

Just was hoping it did tie in somehow since we've had very little to tie back to it since the first two eps of s7.  As much as it dragged out and whatnot, 'Mombatross' got more airtime than this new mystery arc surrounding the main character.

• Love 3

From the article:

Speaking of that relationship, Beckett mentioned having kids in the beginning of the hour, and it won’t be the last time. “It’s part of a general dilemma that Beckett has about her future,” Amann said. “The question of children figures into that, career questions figure into that, because after all, she has resolved her mother’s murder, she’s gotten married to Castle—things are in a pretty stable and good place for her. But I think that she’s wondering what the next step is for her, what is she going to be doing moving forward, and the question of children is of course going to enter into that equation.” At least that’s one thing this abduction won’t ruin.

Well, first I think that implies that Beckett will be fine, regardless of what Tyson and Nieman will do to her (she's married, in a stable good place ... and that's one thing the abduction won't ruin).

Second, if she is pregnant (and I don't think she is at this point, but is open to it in the future, pending Castle's thoughts) she doesn't know yet. Because you don't wonder what the next step is and question if and how kids fit into your life if you've already got on in the oven. You question how you make things work, how you adapt your life and relationship to fit in a new person that's going to be completely dependent on you.

EDIT:

There's a promo photo for the Mars episode ... and I think it's hilarious. Something about Stana's expression. Or the spacesuits. I'm not sure. And one of just Beckett.

But photo proof that Beckett makes it out of the next episode alive and unscarred.

For fun, here's a full collection of what's been released for the Mars episode.

Edited by McManda

I posted in the media thread, too, but these are the promo photos that have been released for the Mars episode.

I'm glad it doesn't look as stupid as the premise sounded. But I thought a telenovella episode was going to be stupid, too, but I really liked that one, so ... I guess I shouldn't just and episode by its theme?

I posted in the media thread, too, but these are the promo photos that have been released for the Mars episode.

I'm glad it doesn't look as stupid as the premise sounded. But I thought a telenovella episode was going to be stupid, too, but I really liked that one, so ... I guess I shouldn't just and episode by its theme?

Plus since it's a Terri episode, anything is possible. Though have to say the suits look pretty good as does the set so kudos to those departments.

Chad said he was visiting the set. So not sure if it was just a visit or he's actually popping up in that episode. They're filming 7.18 (the Ryan-centric episode).

Edited by Nadine