Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

TOP-10 KICK-ASS WOMEN OF 2014 at ShowRatingsTV.

6. Kate, Castle

Kate has always been portrayed as a self-sufficient woman, who is smart as a whip, has a cool head under pressure and can stop any perp in questionably high boot heels. Esposito and Ryan respect her and are happy to let her lead because they trust her judgement. When it comes to Castle, she’s the realist to his dreamer and more often than not rescues him from dangerous situations. This season she’s proven to have the strength to believe in him and forgive him when he disappears on their wedding day. And now that their professional partnership is in danger, I have no doubt that Kate will handle it because she kicks ass.

This synopsis from Spoiler TV with photo, confirms what we know already that Castle gets his PI licence and tries to insert himself into her latest investigation.  Given the overplaying of bumbling Castle this season, I don't want them focusing too much on him being out of his depth in his new career no matter how realistic it might be. They need to keep it toned down and not make Castle inept for a series of cheap laughs which is their usual formula for comedy with this guy.

• Love 2

This synopsis from Spoiler TV with photo, confirms what we know already that Castle gets his PI licence and tries to insert himself into her latest investigation.  Given the overplaying of bumbling Castle this season, I don't want them focusing too much on him being out of his depth in his new career no matter how realistic it might be. They need to keep it toned down and not make Castle inept for a series of cheap laughs which is their usual formula for comedy with this guy.

I hope so too. A little bit goes a long way.

2014 in Review, Part 2: Best and Worst Couples, CGI and Scenery-Chewing — Plus Death Scenes, Crushes & More! at TV Line.

Best Cliffhanger Involving an Actual Cliff or Embankment (Runner-up)
Castle's Season 6 finale

Best Wedding (Runner-up)
Rick and Kate, Castle

Note: Best Couple (Romantic in a Drama) was Juliette and Avery from Nashville with Claire and Jamie, Outlander as runners up. Castle and Beckett lost out on the wedding front to Cam and Mitchell, Modern Family.

Edited by verdana

Thanks, the first one is unimaginative as McManda said and the last one is awful.

I think they are having a problem in that almost every PI tv show is named after the lead character so rejecting Castle and Richard Caste, they decided to go with Magnum, PI homage.

I'm expecting The Castle Files and Castle to Castle (or Castle & Castle) with an outside chance for Castle: For Hire before he's allowed to work with the cops officially again.

Edited by ParadoxLost

I love Perlmutter and if he replaced Lanie more I'd be perfectly happy with that. In fact I think they should alternate him with Lanie each episode or even have them working together in the morgue which would be a hoot. 

• Love 1

Cyranetta. Thanks for the article.

Together, they mesmerize. Apart, they confound, as in audience members asking, “When are they going to put Castle and Beckett together again?” after either is out of the scene for, oh, 90 seconds.

That's pretty much my reaction but I think it's down to a shorter duration. 

Those viewers want to see a detective-muse who is as competent as she is courageous, solving crimes with a writer who is as intelligent as he is impudent, each with wit, sophistication and passion. They want to see a couple who adore what they do and each other, freely and frequently expressed. Not a sleaze-fest, but adults in love.

Wish I could see this on screen more often. Beckett as a character has been pushed aside too many times this season as the writers focus on Castle but what unfortunately they're usually highlighting are his most annoying traits coupled with the fact they're not telling me anything new and interesting about him as a character. I don't see any story being told, may be that will change when they focus back on the mythology business or during the PI arc but I'm not getting my hopes up. It's a lose-lose situation at the moment and Beckett can't develop much either because of it. I see precious little wit, sophistication or passion in the character of Richard Castle in S7. 

They don’t want to see The Rick Show any more than they want to see The Kate Show. They want balance and stability. They want progression and growth, minus the wholesale changes (see “one and done”) that might cause some to perceive the characters as people other than the ones they know and love.

She's right. I was one of the ones who moaned that over the last few seasons this show became too focused on Beckett at the expense of Castle's character which became weak. I was thrilled when TPTB said and they were going to focus on Castle's story and peeling that onion. However, if this is the end result of their efforts I'd rather they went back to concentrating on Beckett again. Her story carried more substance and interest, it drove the show and their relationship forward despite the hiccups along the way - his doesn't. 

Edited by verdana
Her story carried substance and interest

For some, sure. But I disagree. The mombatross bullshit drove me away. It was a lead weight. So my interest dwindled RAPIDLY which led to my personal exodus.

But it doesn't sound like Castle's "onion peeling" is going any better. Maybe the stories aren't the real issue. Maybe shitty writing kills everything.

• Love 4

I love Perlmutter and if he replaced Lanie more I'd be perfectly happy with that. In fact I think they should alternate him with Lanie each episode or even have them working together in the morgue which would be a hoot.

I think The Double Down was the only ep that had both Lanie and Perlmutter in it. I don't know why they couldn't have more eps with both of them in them like in When the Bough Breaks, Perlmutter was the case ME but they could've had Lanie at the Heatwave party since you know Castle would've invited her since he invited her to his halloween party the following ep. Lanie got barely any character development over the seasons so it would've made more sense to have her as recurring character like Perlmutter and Tory.

So I was reading some other shows recaps on twop that I notice Stephen Cannell did an interview with the site. I didn't realize that he knew the Bowmans that well. Even I got the impression from that interview that he thought this show is more romantic comedy than dramatic procedural. If Cannell was still with us I wonder what he would think now that the show has changed so much since s2. The write along extra is still amusing and some guy at my hs had the same yellow truck but without the wood railing when Nathan gets distracted by all the cars. I think I have driven by Cannell's house without realizing it since I used to drive thru those Pasadena/San Marino neighborhoods all the time to get to old town Pasadena.

A screener is out for the next episode, Kate Jennings will be posting a preview tomorrow if you don't want to be spoiled I suggest staying away from tumblr and twitter from now on as there are some critics less scrupulous with their reviews spoiler wise than others.

It's Kate Jennings so I'm not getting too excited, I don't understand how she got her hands on the rights to see screeners. I'll be interested to see if her reaction is shared by all the other people lucky enough who get to see it. But in the end I'll make my own mind up.

Having a repeat of The Double Down is no surprise.

That's the end of remaining spoiler free for me. Heh.

turnitwayup. Thanks for the link, I like it when Castle had buddies. I've always seen Castle as a "dramedy", it flirts with drama now and again of course but the writers (and network) are clearly more comfortable in lighter territory and with good reason. The show tends to lose its way especially in more recent seasons when they try to make Castle into something it's not.  

I remember in a article a few months ago, Winter said he has the distinction of being the first writer to have an episode thrown out by ABC for being to dark, he said it became like "Castle Special Victims Unit" and they had to work at finding a balance between darkness and frothy comedy. Although I don't see anything that dark about Castle but then I grew up a diet of British police dramas but that's not what I want to see in any case otherwise the show becomes like any other police procedural.

In the Belly of the Beast.  The episode where Beckett went undercover and got tortured by Vulcan Simmons.

Thanks.   I'm bad at recalling title/title acronyms, and all I could came up with was  "In The Bottom Of The Bottle".. oh well..Happy New Year to all.

halwideman. I admire your willpower and resolve, I wish I had that. The longest I've ever lasted not watching a sneak peek or reading a preview is about twenty minutes and has it made my viewing experience better for doing so? In many cases no but it's hopeless trying to last out. 

Edited by verdana

THE MOST KICK ASS TV WOMEN OF THE YEAR at TV Junkies. 

This year was a big one for a favourite detective. She was kicking butt and takin’ names– including Castle’s (okay, not literally). Kate has been keeping New York City in check for almost seven years now, in her high heels and leather coats, but this year brought some personal wins her way. She finally put her mother’s murder case to bed by taking down Senator Bracken, and took that long awaited walk down the aisle. She powered through Castle’s disappearance despite having to reawaken the murder board she was so elated to put away. Regardless of what this next year brings, she’ll take it down, one incredibly good-looking shoe at a time.

Meanwhile various sites are still doing their end of year presentations.

Showratings TV has concluded it's "awards" and Castle has won the following:

Hottest on TV (Male): Nathan Fillion

At 43, the beloved star of Firefly and Castle was the oldest nominee in the ‘Hottest on TV’ field, but Fillion proves that age is but a number, and wit and charm are timeless.

Fan Favourite Network Drama

Our first repeat winner from 2013, Castle once again proves itself as the most popular and beloved crime procedural on television. Even this late in its run, the Nathan Fillion/Stana Katic-led drama continues to find clever ways to play to the considerable strengths of its two leads, while surrounding them with a charming supporting cast that gives Castle a notably lighter feel than many of its crime-based counterparts.

Edited by verdana

For some, sure. But I disagree. The mombatross bullshit drove me away. It was a lead weight. So my interest dwindled RAPIDLY which led to my personal exodus.

I thought the mombatross story when Will Beall was writing it was good, it made sense and had great character development for everyone. Then he left and things started to slowly unravel and the case became this giant convoluted, overblown saga which I agree by rights should have been put to bed sooner. Veritas did wrap it pretty well and I wouldn't want to go back to that storyline again unless it's to have Bracken put on trial and then sentenced to finally close the book on it but there are other avenues they could explore that gives Beckett more focus. At least with the mombatross and her "mythology" I was getting something that kept me hooked (for a while). Castle's story so far...meh. 

Maybe the stories aren't the real issue. Maybe shitty writing kills everything.

You can't get away from shitty writing it will drag everything down with it eventually. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 4

Good luck with being spoiler free halwideman. This season I'm spoiler free for HTGAWM, Homeland and The Blacklist and agree it does add to the enjoyment of watching an episode (especially if you do a marathon).

The reviews so far seem to be on the positive side which is good, but also going inline with the Double Down element which I expected when I saw that promo after Bad Santa.

Edited by Nadine
  • Love 1

Based on the reviews I've read it seems they've heeded those concerns raised about Castle and Beckett working separately and I'm hopeful of some decent Caskett interactions, it will be interesting to see how successful they've been by the reactions of fans once the episode airs. 

Edited by verdana

Based on the reviews I've read it seems they've heeded those concerns raised about Castle and Beckett working separately and I'm hopeful of some decent Caskett interactions, it will be interesting to see how successful they've been by the reactions of fans once the episode airs. 

It certainly wouldn't be the first time people were panicking about an upcoming storyline only to be pleasantly surprised that an episode ends up positive.  The same thing happened with the DC arc.  I think when they do something different, the writers make more of an effort to put good Caskett interaction in.  That's probably why they did a screener here....they new fans were concerned about a separation.

I hate when they put out a screener because I end up having to avoid this thread.  And this time it will end up being until the 12th.  I don't mind some spoilers for Castle, but the reviews from a screener are always way to detailed.

• Love 2

Pity the writers feel the need have to create themselves various obstacles for the couple to experience - like Kate heading for DC or Castle getting chucked out the precinct - in order to show better Castle and Beckett moments to the fans.

Edited by verdana

Voice of TV Advance Review

This was from the end of the review, felt it was safe to post. 

The episode brings back some of the elements of Castle that we all love and what makes this show one to watch. Excellent way to start the second half of the season and I can’t wait to see where they go with this.

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Opinion: A Tale of Two Castles by Shana Lieberman at Castle Chronicles

I agree about the peeling of the Castle onion (or lack of) and the much discussed mythology. Ten episodes in and they've given me nothing to hold my interest, not a scrap of a clue or teaser has been provided about his disappearance and by this stage they should have thrown me a bone or two. I'm not against a gradual build up when it comes to stories but if this one was a hospital patient they'd be in a coma right now. 

After months of waiting to peel back the layers of the Richard Castle onion, nothing was learned.  His disappearance remains a mystery — and not in a good way.  The most we know is that he’s been keeping something very important from everyone, including Beckett, for pretty much ever.

Rather than developing this character in new and interesting ways, the Castle team has chosen to let him continuously play the village idiot, to the detriment of any previous character growth.  Has Castle always been a fun guy with crazy theories?  Sure.  Has he always been a complete moron?  No, not at all.  There’s a subtle difference there; unfortunately, he’s gone off the deep end.

I love her term for Esplanie, it really did need to be quarantined and put out of its misery. 

And let’s not forget valuable screen time wasted on Esplanebola, including Esposito saying Lanie’s name when his death seemed imminent in “Kill Switch,” only to waste MORE time on them in “Bad Santa,” just before ending their relationship for good.  Whaaat?

Edited by verdana

On positive thoughts, high hopes by Lyn Dowling at Castle Chronicles (excerpt below). 

I hate to go all syrupy, but it’s time to ponder the more positive aspects of the first half of the season as we head into the second with bitten lips and pleas for better things to come.

It’s hasn’t been all bad, and the interaction between Castle and Beckett, rather, Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic, stands out. Whatever made things feel stilted last season seems to have disappeared and Castle’s leads are playing with fire again. It would be splendid if they were allowed to act on it a bit more, to show us hunger and heat as well as care and kindness, but so far the eyes have it and those loving glances do appear mutual.

The most we know is that he’s been keeping something very important from everyone, including Beckett, for pretty much ever.

Where is she getting that? Does she mean the thing in the woods that happened when he was a kid? I wouldn't necessarily call that keeping something very important from everybody.  Lots of people don't share every childhood event with people in their lives.  But it depends on what it is, of course.  But it could just be that he got poison ivy on a rather sensitive body part and was too embarrassed to tell anyone. 

Whatever made things feel stilted last season seems to have disappeared

So, I guess I really am the only one who never noticed any stilted-ness last season?

So, I guess I really am the only one who never noticed any stilted-ness last season?

I also didn't notice this stilted nature of their relationship that so many fans did. But, I also didn't think it compared as favorably to previous seasons which, on the whole, I enjoyed much more than season 6 (hope that made sense, lol). 

• Love 1

I thought season 5 was much worse in terms of their interactions which felt awkward and/or lifeless at times, there was a real failure by the writers to truly capitalise on their burgeoning new relationship after an initially promising start. I don't know what was going on but it was weird. Season 6 was better overall on that front but worse from a storytelling POV.

Castle Midseason Report Card: Grade It Here! at TV Fanatic. 

We give Castle Season 7 a solid A.

No way can I give the season so far an A.  It's been very uneven with the odd episode being really good then some seriously mediocre ones that I would never watch again, then a few average/okay episodes.  

Edited by verdana

Every time I see Nathan in glasses, I long so much to see Castle in them. Just once. It's on my "bucket list" for the character. Wonder how I can get it on Nathan's list of things to do on TV... ;) 

Yeah me too, it would be fantastic if they would let him slip a pair on one day either in the precinct or at home. I read a fanfic once where Castle was wearing glasses for some reason seemingly unaware of the effect it was having on Beckett who was getting very hot and bothered trying hard not to stare at him. In the end I think she might have dragged him home or into a supply cupboard or something.

That shade of green suits him a treat too.

• Love 1

The glasses kill me every single time. I love them.

I do wonder what he was doing in O'Hare. A layover? I've been busy with personal and work stuff and haven't really heard much of the cast/crew/show, so I have no idea where he spent this Christmas. That's probably the closest I've ever been to meeting him! (And trust, that's not all that close.)

The man knows how to take a good selfie, I'll admit.

He went diving that's all I know, I don't follow the cast's off duty activities that much but I've seen tweeted pictures of a shark doing the rounds on tumblr and some of Nathan's tweets. He took his brother along too. Seems like they had a family holiday on an island somewhere but I'm not sure if any one managed to figure out where it might be. Good for him if he managed to stay off the radar and Stana too. 

He did tweet a picture of a menu which made me laugh. Never had that before. 

Edited by verdana

He did tweet a picture of a menu which made me laugh. Never had that before.

I'm going to guess it's mahi mahi, also called dolphin fish. But good luck trying to get people to order it!

I'm going to guess it's mahi mahi, also called dolphin fish. But good luck trying to get people to order it!

Yes, it's Mahi Mahi. In the Caribbean it is commonly listed on menus as dolphin. I had the same reaction the first time I saw it on a menu down there!

Thanks for the explanation on that strange looking side order, if I ever do get to travel out that way at least I can be reassured no dolphins were killed for my dinner! When Nathan tweeted that out it led to quite a few joking tweets being sent to him. 

Edited by verdana

I thought the mombatross story when Will Beall was writing it was good, it made sense and had great character development for everyone. Then he left and things started to slowly unravel and the case became this giant convoluted, overblown saga which I agree by rights should have been put to bed sooner.

I thought that mombatross got blown out of all believable proportions well before that. I only felt its importance for character development and story dynamics in the beginning, when it was supposed to be a typical gritty cold case that left its mark on the victim's loved ones but played no part in someone's world domination routine. Since then IMO it only served to bring out the worst in both writers and characters - the former ones got to coast churning out convoluted dead-ends under the cover of "the most complex case of all time" (Will Beall was the best at making ends meet and wrote better dialogue), Beckett got increasingly bitchy and pompous while Castle turned into a doormat with no relevance to the story. It's true that mombatross episodes were the only instances the characters were allowed to talk with some honesty and more or less develop their relationship, but who made the rules? Writers. They could discuss and progress in other episodes too, they just weren't allowed, and it doesn't make me grateful to the mombatross arc that it got us some crumbs of character development. That said, the current arc looks practically non-existent at this point so any comparisons are bound to favour the mombatross. 

• Love 1