Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

What I'd love to hear is what stories they feel they've told in episodes 7.01-5 that they felt ~had to be told before they could marry. Not sure a social media killer or a child witness to a murder quite fit that bill. ;)

That's why I don't buy into the reason the wedding had to be delayed revolved around any kind of organic storytelling concepts. If you look at what we've been given to us since Castle returned back what exactly was so important that they needed to show me Castle having fun with a bunch of kids for example? And it's not as if they've had any decent discussions that links back to the mythology and what happened to them on their aborted wedding day. So I'm not buying into their excuses, they got caught out in trying to jerk the fans around for no good reason other than they thought they could and it shows in what I'm seeing now with their desperate reassurances in interviews and the volume of information being given out. Edited by verdana

"I think I'd be seriously weirded out if it turns out that Captain Beckett sleeps with one of her own people; with someone who's under her command."

Well, that would be a disciplinary offence now that she's his boss even in the mainstream story, but there would be nothing to say that there had not been a past relationship that is over, in Beckett's opinion, but still felt by Esposito.

I think both Ryan and Esposito are older and longer serving than Beckett, even though she got the promotions and is their boss, both canon and AU.  And there were indications of a romantic/sexual relationship with Royce.

Plus Beckett, before settling on Castle, has had several short term relationships and was active on the dating scene.

And there were indications of a romantic/sexual relationship with Royce.
Plus Beckett, before settling on Castle, has had several short term relationships and was active on the dating scene.

She had relationships before Castle, yes.  But that is completely different than a person sleeping with a person who reports to her.  AU Beckett seems likely to be more by-the-book than Real Beckett, so it doesn't seem like something she'd do.  I wouldn't like if she had a relationship with someone who reports to her even if the titles were the same as they are today.  I also think it would be creepy if she and Royce actually slept together too.  I got more of an unrequited crush vibe about them than an actual sexual relationship.  TV shows always act like bosses/subordinates having a sexual relationship is no big deal, but it's really unprofessional and can eventually make the character look bad.

I'm starting to think there is too many articles floating around about this episode.  I don't mind a few hints but I don't want to know everything.  And it's so hard to avoid the stuff.

• Love 3

From TV|Line:

Question: Do you have some scoop about Castle‘s mid-season two-parter? —Fred
Ausiello: Showrunner David Amann confirms that Castle will resume its springtime two-parter tradition, somewhere around Episodes 14/15. Perhaps to dig deep into the mystery of Rick’s vanishing? “We think that it will deal with that in some way,” Amann allows, “but it won’t be exclusively about that.”

Question: Do you have any scoop on Castle‘s Christmas episode? —Heather
Ausiello: It airs Monday, Dec. 8, it’s titled “Bad Santa,” and it will include the culmination of “some evolution in the Lanie and Esposito relationship,” says Amann. (And yes, the EP is aware that Rick still owes Kate a gift from Christmas 2012, but he is mum on whether it’s coming.)

She had relationships before Castle, yes.  But that is completely different than a person sleeping with a person who reports to her.  AU Beckett seems likely to be more by-the-book than Real Beckett, so it doesn't seem like something she'd do.  I wouldn't like if she had a relationship with someone who reports to her even if the titles were the same as they are today.  I also think it would be creepy if she and Royce actually slept together too.  I got more of an unrequited crush vibe about them than an actual sexual relationship.  TV shows always act like bosses/subordinates having a sexual relationship is no big deal, but it's really unprofessional and can eventually make the character look bad.

I'm starting to think there is too many articles floating around about this episode.  I don't mind a few hints but I don't want to know everything.  And it's so hard to avoid the stuff.

Agree completely. I can't imagine Terri, the person who Beckett is theoretically modeled after in a lot of ways, would write her story like that.  Even if she and the other writers wanted to encourage the Beckett/Espo backstory, there are far better ways to do it than a captain having a romantic/sexual relationship with a person she supervises. 

I'm beginning to think all the articles are having the opposite effect that TPTB want. Instead of being more excited, folks are starting to dread it a little and are even wanting to skip ahead to 7.07. I've seen several folks around Twitter and Tumblr who know enough or read enough about the ep to be let down by what they're reading either on the AU part or how the wedding will happen. Personally, I had zero expectations towards the end of last season before the wedding, and I have even less now. Maybe it is best if Amann pipes down a bit? lol It'll be interesting to see what Stana says about it on Monday too. 

• Love 1

Agree completely. I can't imagine Terri, the person who Beckett is theoretically modeled after in a lot of ways, would write her story like that.  Even if she and the other writers wanted to encourage the Beckett/Espo backstory, there are far better ways to do it than a captain having a romantic/sexual relationship with a person she supervises.

This does not happen at all. At all. 

This does not happen at all. At all. 

Oh, I never thought something that explicit would be part of the episode (apologies if I led anyone to think that I did), but some (including myself) felt like it's alluded to that they have more than a professional relationship in this AU environment. But, again, that could just be subjective and from what you're saying here, it sounds like it's definitely not something we'll see in the episode. Which I'm sure many will be happy to hear. 

does anyone else feel like they actually have no idea what the "new mythology" actually is? It certainly doesn't feel like it justified last season's finale.

Well going by what I had read about people's thoughts after Montreal most believed it had something to do with when Castle was a child, but now that Amann says it doesn't - I agree about not knowing anything about it. I'm back to the theory that he got too close in his researching of Derek Storm novels in the past and that's what triggered the turn of events (plus if mobsters are in the Christmas episode - then that could be a scenario where it's brought up again. Though highly unlikely).

Oh, I never thought something that explicit would be part of the episode (apologies if I led anyone to think that I did), but some (including myself) felt like it's alluded to that they have more than a professional relationship in this AU environment. But, again, that could just be subjective and from what you're saying here, it sounds like it's definitely not something we'll see in the episode. Which I'm sure many will be happy to hear. 

Oh, I didn't think you were worried about that either. :-)

It was just the last post on the subject, so I quoted that one. My response was more in response to the hand-wringing above about it.

Captain Beckett would not have a relationship with Detective Esposito, but Detective Beckett might have had something, even if only a one night stand ,with Detective Esposito. The difference being that the first is between boss/subordinate and Bad News, while the second would be between equals. An office romance as it were.

And it would explain a lot of Espo's quiet hostility to Castle.

does anyone else feel like they actually have no idea what the "new mythology" actually is? It certainly doesn't feel like it justified last season's finale.

Tying this mythology about Castle into their wedding and delaying it was a bad idea and a mistake I think they are probably regretting even if the TPTB will never, ever admit that. It doesn't justify what they did at all and although I presume they have got some plan laid out as to what it involves I sense the story to follow will be plotted according to fans reactions to it and not written in an organic way.  I note in the rush of recent interviews on the subject that Amann is almost downplaying it's significance as a story arc and it's obviously not going to be anywhere near as significant to Castle as the Johanna Beckett mythology was to Kate.  But that's not a surprise when they're trying to invent a back story for a character in this way after six years of neglect, you can't suddenly drop the bomb and rewrite their history that significantly without it seeming like some you've gone into soap opera territory. 

• Love 1

Well going by what I had read about people's thoughts after Montreal most believed it had something to do with when Castle was a child, but now that Amann says it doesn't - I agree about not knowing anything about it. I'm back to the theory that he got too close in his researching of Derek Storm novels in the past and that's what triggered the turn of events (plus if mobsters are in the Christmas episode - then that could be a scenario where it's brought up again. Though highly unlikely).

It was clear to me from the outset that the comment about Hollanders Wood and what happened then had nothing to do with his disappearance it was something he used to allow the guy to be able to prove he had voluntarily gone through with this and had his memory wiped. I'm glad Amann sorted that out, the writers confused the issue by lumping one thing they obviously want to look at this season with another issue they'll probably touch on as well. I'm far more interested in the Hollanders Wood episode than I am in the mythology, that's something I wanted them to delve into - albeit about three years ago. 

I agree it will tie back into Derrick Storm especially given Marlowe's latest project he's trying to get off the ground, the writing is predictable now and that's the obvious thing to do. 

I think the closest any one is going to get to confirmation of an Espo/Kate hook up is in their own minds because I can't see them doing anything with it even in the AU not when she's going to get married at the end of the episode to Castle, that would be sick and twisted of them. 

I agree that Amann's interviews seem to be having the opposite affect to what he intended and that some fans are increasingly fearful with every passing day and want it over with. The wild west episode looks great fun and is going to far less polarising than #7.06. Some fans are already taking entrenched positions about it one way or another and dragging it out like this has only made it much worse.  

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
I'm far more interested in the Hollanders Wood episode than I am in the mythology, that's something I wanted them to delve into - albeit about three years ago.

Me too.  I'm a little disappointed they're not going to delve into it any more since they finally hinted at the reason Castle got into the macabre.  This is the kind of tidbit to a character's backstory that can really add flavour, and relevant too, considering the show is about them investigating murders.  I'd find this 100 times more interesting than finding out Castle cheated on an essay in school. ;)  Same with how I'd find it 100 times more interesting for Beckett too share with Castle how much his books have always meant to her instead of finding out she has some random interest or hobby.  The writers always seem reluctant to delve into this stuff that they perceive as not advancing the plot.  But they enrich the characters and the relationships, and isn't that the point?!

One trap I hope they don't fall into for the AU episode is that even though it's coming from Castle's POV, I hope it's not just about how Castle's life is a million times better because of Beckett and ignores how Castle has made Beckett's life a million times better too.  I don't want to see the relationship unbalanced (as they have been prone to do in the past) in such an important episode.  Amann commented in an interview that Castle's status as an author isn't the same in the AU because he hasn't written the Heat books.  But I actually don't think there's that a big difference in his status as a writer even if he'd just written Derek Storm.  He already had written  double digit bestsellers and gotten an offer to write James Bond independent of Nikki Heat so it rings false to me if they say his writing career sucked just because he didn't have a muse in Beckett.  He might be suffering from writer's block or not doing his best work but I believe he would still be a successful writer had he not met Beckett.  So if they make out that he's a bad writer and a bad father and a general loser because he hadn't met Beckett, there's a fair chance I'll be annoyed unless they justify it with good reason.  I don't really want Beckett to be made his saviour or something like that.  That would be overly simplistic, not particularly romantic and terribly unbalanced to me.  If anything, between Castle having a happy family life (despite lacking satisfaction in his professional and personal life) in the pilot and Beckett's existence then, I'd say Castle had the happier life.  I want the AU to delve into how they complete each other more than about how one party rescued the other from an utterly miserable existence.  

I hope we'll finally see Castle the gift ninja live up to his rep at last and wow Beckett with his gift, that is not jewellery or seashells!!

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

I just realised I confused myself above (blame the massive lack of sleep today) I agree with what you've both said above about the backstories, etc. I meant that some people thought it was linked to Woods incident even though it's obvious in the long run it wouldn't be *blame the lack of sleep on that one* - but the Derek Storm thing I still back.

Me too.  I'm a little disappointed they're not going to delve into it any more since they finally hinted at the reason Castle got into the macabre.  This is the kind of tidbit to a character's backstory that can really add flavour, and relevant too, considering the show is about them investigating murders.  I'd find this 100 times more interesting than finding out Castle cheated on an essay in school. ;)  Same with how I'd find it 100 times more interesting for Beckett too share with Castle how much his books have always meant to her instead of finding out she has some random interest or hobby.  The writers always seem reluctant to delve into this stuff that they perceive as not advancing the plot.  But they enrich the characters and the relationships, and isn't that the point?!

Yes to this. I'd prefer we found out about the Woods and a flashback to getting the book signed. That's why I love the archives scene in Veritas because of the call back to S3 when it was mentioned.

Instead we got what you mentioned above.

I'm looking forward to the Western ep. If anyone can pull off an episode like that it is TPW.

Edited by Nadine

Amann talks a bit more about the wedding in TVGuide magazine. Scan here: http://twitter.com/emily_p92/status/530064095572422656/photo/1

Can't say I'm that impressed with Amann's comments about the AU episode reading that article and how Castle's life will be "drastically" changed due to Beckett not being in it. That he's back to being a ladies man (surprise!) and that "I think Castle knew all along he couldn't live without Beckett but his journey in this episode really underscores this point" sorry but that's a load of Hallmark style bullshit. I was hoping they wouldn't go down the route of everything in his life has changed and they use this to over emphasize the impact Beckett has had but I fear that's exactly what they're going to do and it doesn't make any sense. I hope I'm wrong. 

Events in Always proved that Castle was going to move on and live without Beckett, he was starting the process of cutting off their association before she turned up at the door. Of course he was devastated but he's not the kind of guy who is going to fall apart into endless misery for the rest of his days a broken man. He doesn't strike me as the type frankly, he would have probably moved on and into another relationship if this was real life and she had never come back. He was also clearly prepared to disengage himself during the douchebag arc too when he thought she wasn't interested and stop following her around. He has a daughter to live for and his mother to take care of, the idea he's this tragic romantic type who couldn't go on without her doesn't gel with the character I know at all.  But I guess it comes over better for the shipper element to give the impression he'd be broken and destroyed if she wasn't in his life and as an added touch he's a failure in his writing too of course.   

madmaverick. Just seen your previous post and I agree with you completely.  They need to find a balance and not go overboard on Castle's life being bad and her being the saviour of it.  They need to focus on how each of them has brought something to the other which has immeasurably improved their lives and makes them the people we see today.  

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Amann talks a bit more about the wedding in TVGuide magazine. Scan here: http://twitter.com/emily_p92/status/530064095572422656/photo/1

"Castle is moved to get married very quickly." ----- What someone putting a gun to his head ?

"I think Castle knew all along that he couldn't live without Beckett, but his journey in this episode really underscores that point." 

---- What ticks me off about that statement is: How many times do they have to put Castle through that ? I mean seriously, Beckett got shot and he confessed he loves her. Next big step he proposes. He almost lost her again during that undercover job. His talk with Martha when they went to that venue location: "I just feel like I’ve waited long enough, Mother. I – I don’t want to waste any more time before we take the next step." And here we are again with some big revelation on Castle's part.

One trap I hope they don't fall into for the AU episode is that even though it's coming from Castle's POV, I hope it's not just about how Castle's life is a million times better because of Beckett and ignores how Castle has made Beckett's life a million times better too.  I don't want to see the relationship unbalanced (as they have been prone to do in the past) in such an important episode. 

Same here and to quote Beckett: I have a hard job, Castle, and having you around makes it a little more fun. His impact on her life is as important as the other way around.

• Love 4

Except, unless the audience is brain-dead, his impact on her life is obvious. Dramatically so. She was a workaholic with no life who dressed in ill-fitting suits wore heavy kohl eye-liner to work and didn't have a single outfit that she could wear to go out at night. She was unhealthily obsessed with her mother's case and never had fun until Castle started to "pull her pigtails". That is all canon. He completely changed her life.

Castle, on the other hand, as others have pointed out, could be writing James Bond novels and banging starlets in his fantastic Tribeca loft, is close to his mother and has a daughter who dotes on him to the point of spoon-feeding. So if the writers want to point out that the relationship is balanced because she has had just as profound an effect on him as he has had on her, I don't see the reason for all the bad vibes I'm reading about that proposed story line. 

Personally, I look forward to it and I'd bet the majority of the viewing audience feels the same. 

• Love 7

I think that's a load of BS considering the source.  They'll definitely be trying to negotiate raises but the amount alleged is completely unrealistic.

Jury's still out for me as to whether either/both will re-sign, but if they're negotiating, I am curious to know if they are doing it together as a team or not.

• Love 1

Except I rather feel the writers have forgotten about the impact Castle has had on Beckett's life in latter seasons as she evolved into this supermodel badass supercop, almost model of perfection who could make billionaires as well as cardiac surgeons fall under her spell.  It rather does feel like Beckett has been characterised as the one having most, if not all the power in the Caskett relationship.  

From the sneak peek, Beckett has been promoted to Capt.  Deserved imo, as she's good at her job and without Castle in her life, she'd probably be all work and no play and extremely focused on her career.  By the same token, Castle had long been a successful writer before he met Beckett so I don't necessarily see why he would not be a successful writer without Beckett as his muse.  (Same goes for him being a good father.) We don't know exactly what's up with Castle's career so will have to wait for the episode to see.  Castle and Beckett as we've come to know them are both very good in their respective professions.  Better together as a team maybe but more than capable of doing a very good job on their own before they met the other.  

If the writing is good enough, I won't be questioning why Castle's AU experience makes him want to get married right now, not when previous near death experiences haven't had the same impact.  I do hope it's believable why Beckett embraces the immediate urge to marry despite not sharing the AU experience and not being quite on that page after Castle's kidnapping.  Beckett has to make that leap to being more than ready as well as Castle.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

"Castle is moved to get married very quickly." ----- What someone putting a gun to his head ?

I'm not entirely on board with Castle proposing again in what looks like a rush due to emotional circumstances, he's already done this once (or twice if you count Watershed) after returning from his magical mystery tour and now after some kind of dream or trip into this AU world he's back urgently wanting to them to get married. But nothing has happened in those preceding episodes that feels like a second proposal has been truly earned by the characters at this point.

The Creaseys episode did an okay job of it as you saw them at least getting their sex life back on track but the other two episodes? Nothing happened, in fact if you had tuned in as newbie you wouldn't have known anything traumatic has happened to Castle or they were grappling with anything huge emotionally.  It's as if the writers decided it had to come in the AU episode simply because they couldn't drag it out any longer so lets find a way to stuff a proposal in there during November sweeps. I hope that Beckett does more than just stare at him in shock and awe and say yes because if she does that and everyone whoops for joy it will feel wrong. She's the one after all who wanted to put the breaks on, who said they needed to find their "solid ground" and would talk about things in a month.  I don't want to get the feeling she's being pushed into it because Castle is so insistent due to yet another emotional kick up the pants forced on him by the writers in a panic.  

I'll be disappointed if what I see in the sneak peek is pretty much it, his line about just getting on with things and living on the one I hand I can understand why he's said that. However, I also want them to do what feels true to both characters and having Beckett agree without any sign she's emotionally ready after what's happened doesn't feel right. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Verdana, completely agree with you on the need to see that Beckett is truly emotionally ready to get married after their latest obstacle.  They need to sell me on that after she put the brakes on earlier, and I need more than what Castle said in that sneak peek.  

• Love 2

From the sneak peek, Beckett has been promoted to Capt.  Deserved imo, as she's good at her job and without Castle in her life, she'd probably be all work and no play and extremely focused on her career.  By the same token, Castle had long been a successful writer before he met Beckett so I don't necessarily see why he would not be a successful writer without Beckett as his muse.  (Same goes for him being a good father.) We don't know exactly what's up with Castle's career so will have to wait for the episode to see.  Castle and Beckett as we've come to know them are both very good in their respective professions.  Better together as a team maybe but more than capable of doing a very good job on their own before they met the other.  

Well said mad maverick regarding the other point and you're not the only one that has that perception and raised it as an issue.

What I find annoying about Amann's comment that Castle isn't as successful in his career due to not having met Beckett is that I wouldn't dream of suggesting that Beckett would never make it as a good and successful cop if she had never met Castle. And here we see as her Captain whilst Castle is the struggling writer (how badly he's failing we shall soon discover). I find that insulting towards the character. 

I wonder how realistic Kate being captain at 36 is in the NYPD?  She joined when she was very early twenties? If she had been driven due to circumstances, intensely focused and taken all her exams I believe it could be possible. 

Edited by verdana
What I find annoying about Amann's comment that Castle isn't as successful in his career due to not having met Beckett is that I wouldn't dream of suggesting that Beckett would never make it as a good and successful cop if she had never met Castle.

Exactly!!

The last thing I want to feel is annoyed in a wedding episode. ;)

I did find it insulting to Capt. Beckett that her subordinate Esposito would actually ask her if she was sure she could handle interrogating Castle.  

The AU premise has a lot of potential and for that reason, I don't want to be doubly disappointed in their choices for the characters' different trajectories or for questionable conclusions to be drawn from the experience.  And I want to see a well earned wedding bookend the episode and the relationship from a happy place as a viewer.

Edited by madmaverick

The source also makes me question it. Personally I think 1 million dollars is way too over priced. I hope that they would negotiate together though b/c, at this point, there is no show w/o the other.

If I were the one to sign the checks I'd offer them $350,000 per episode for a 23 episode 8th, and perhaps, final season. Final offer. 

I think I'm going to dislike this intensely if it isn't all in Castle's mind. No way Beckett would be Captain at 36. Not that I don't think she could have been qualified, but the politics of her leapfrogging older more experienced cops who were waiting for a Captain's chair doesn't wash.

As for Castle he was already a successful (and much more high profile celebrity) before they met so I will be one unhappy bunny if they suggest that he wouldn't have been successful without Beckett.

From the sneak peek, Beckett has been promoted to Capt.  Deserved imo, as she's good at her job and without Castle in her life, she'd probably be all work and no play and extremely focused on her career.  By the same token, Castle had long been a successful writer before he met Beckett so I don't necessarily see why he would not be a successful writer without Beckett as his muse.

When we met Castle he had writer's block and it was hinted that there was financial strain. He didn't get offered the Bond novels until after the success of the first Nikki Heat. He also treated murder like a game and didn't seem to have a lot of respect for the victims or for the cops who worked to catch murderers. She inspired him, made him face the impact that murder has on the ones left behind and his attitude towards the work she does has radically changed - to the point where she thinks of him as a fellow cop. We've all seen successful writers (some of them extremely talented) who just fade away, especially when they've done all they can with a series featuring a fixed set of characters, so logically Castle's career could have gone either way. 

But the big changes in him weren't about career or money, IMO. There was a serious core to him (personified by Alexis) that blossomed as he had continued contact with Beckett. I believe she literally made him a better man. Just look at the difference in his interactions with his mother in season 1 versus season 3 and later, as an example of what I mean. And when he separated from Beckett, we got the douchebag arc which, much as I'd like to ignore it, showed the worst of him.

Beckett also blossomed in a fundamental way after continued contact with Castle. She seemed to become comfortable in her own skin and she was able to let her sense of humor out. She eventually re-prioritized her life to let go of an unhealthy obsession, no longer needing complete avoidance as the only way to keep it in check. She became more emotionally healthy and ultimately more emotionally honest. Essentially a better woman. Again, the career trajectory IMO, is the least of it. The fact is, if she'd had no life, she may even have done better in the NYPD without Castle, but she wouldn't have made time for herself as she clearly does now.

I really would like to see that explored. 

• Love 3

I think Castle was doing just fine finicially given he had managed to buy the loft, the Hamptons estate etc. I think he would have continued to write but still existed in the flashy playboy lifestyle. If he isn't back in that world it's more than not meeting Beckett which has changed his life.

Pre Castle Beckett wasn't completely career orientated either. She had been & continued to date in the early seasons so was looking to have more than just a career in her life.

Meh, I'm really starting to dislike an episode I haven't even seen. :(

• Love 4

---- What ticks me off about that statement is: How many times do they have to put Castle through that ? I mean seriously, Beckett got shot and he confessed he loves her. Next big step he proposes. He almost lost her again during that undercover job. His talk with Martha when they went to that venue location: "I just feel like I’ve waited long enough, Mother. I – I don’t want to waste any more time before we take the next step." And here we are again with some big revelation on Castle's part.

To keep playing out that dynamic repeatedly with Castle doesn't say much for the writers, they need to get some fresh ideas. 

I did find it insulting to Capt. Beckett that her subordinate Esposito would actually ask her if she was sure she could handle interrogating Castle.

That was embarrassing, you would think someone in the writers room would have twigged it didn't play well, they probably thought it was a good way to give Jon some extra screen time. 

When we met Castle he had writer's block and it was hinted that there was financial strain.

Gina threatened to withdraw his advance if he didn't deliver chapters soon but that's not what I would really call financial strain considering his income from his Storm series etc. and his property and other assets.

He didn't get offered the Bond novels until after the success of the first Nikki Heat.

If I recall correctly, he got the Bond offer just before the launch of the first Nikki Heat book.  He was telling Paula it didn't make sense for him to be interested in something else just as he was about to launch a new character, before he found out it was Bond.

He also treated murder like a game and didn't seem to have a lot of respect for the victims or for the cops who worked to catch murderers.

His experience with Beckett and the cops sure sobered him up some more, but I don't think he ever had a genuinely disrespectful attitude toward murder victims or cops.  He was playful and trying to push Beckett's buttons in the pilot, that interrogation scene especially.  We didn't see any cavalier attitude towards murder when he was at home.

Sure, Castle's career could have gone either way after Storm.  But he'd written a series of bestsellers even before the Storm books and had a successful writing career ever since college.  Writing is something that is intrinsic to Castle.  I don't see that changing even if he had never met Beckett.  He wouldn't have written Nikki Heat, but he would have written something else.

The spoiler pics show Castle holding a thick tome and perhaps that's his output in the AU.  Looks much thicker than his Nikki Heat books so perhaps his writing went in a completely different (less popular) direction altogether.

But the big changes in him weren't about career or money, IMO. There was a serious core to him (personified by Alexis) that blossomed as he had continued contact with Beckett. I believe she literally made him a better man.

I would agree with this but I don't think being with Beckett has changed who he is, merely amplified his existing good qualities and minimised his less worthy ones. Like what Castle said when he was asked whether money changes a person.  Beckett's given him advice about Alexis over the years and been a sounding board for his parenting crises, but if there's one key, good character trait about Castle dating to before he met Beckett, is that he was a good father and a good son.  At least that's the impression I had.  Castle being a good family man is also a key trait that Beckett found attractive in Castle from early on, and make her think there was more to the man.  Alexis was already a well-behaved, well brought up young person when we met her who had a great relationship with her attentive father.  I don't see any differences in the way Castle was with Martha since the beginning; they've always had a dynamic unique to them which showed a strong bond beneath the verbal sparring.  If Castle wasn't a good son, he wouldn't have taken Martha under his roof and supported her when she got cheated by her ex-husband.

• Love 3

Thing is we base Castle's value in viewing figures but we don't actually see the total profit for the show. It's made 'in house', it's been sold all over the world (2 separate channels have rights to the show in the UK), there is merchandise & syndication deals. I completely agree that $1 million is over reaching & I don't think either of them are stupid enough to believe it. I don't think it's any coincidence they both moved to bigger agencies before this. I do hope they are standing together on this though as the article has said. It's harder for negative press for both to 'leak out' & if they don't sign them both, the show dies.

One change for Castle that would not have happened is his now having a crew and a place to go everyday. Writing as a profession can get pretty lonely, regardless of his popularity and womanizing. Besides Beckett, how sad it would be if he didn't have his Ryan/Esposito Bromance!

I wonder how negotiations work in general, when they are both equally crucial to the show, but he is still by far the bigger name. Hardly anyone outside the Castle world knows her name (and many casual watchers couldn't tell you either) while he has pretty good name recognition with TV watchers in general. She would never be guest A on Letterman, and he has been more than once. But, like I said, she could argue as much as him that there's no show without her.

Anybody know how that works?

It's been firmly established that he was a great dad and good son to his mother very early on and I also can't see anything has changed there in terms of the mother/son bond. Remember how he behaved towards Martha when Chet died? I loved that scene with Susan and Nathan but there were many more like that when you saw the true loving dynamic of their relationship. Same with Alexis, there have been many other instances over the years when he has shown his many good qualities with his family and I honestly don't think Beckett's influence has been of any critical importance in this area.  I hope whatever differences there are in the AU make sense and feel natural to Castle's character. 

One change for Castle that would not have happened is his now having a crew and a place to go everyday. Writing as a profession can get pretty lonely, regardless of his popularity and womanizing. Besides Beckett, how sad it would be if he didn't have his Ryan/Esposito Bromance!

Considering the disparaging way Esposito sometimes talks to him or speaks about him to others I don't think Castle has lost out much not knowing Esposito at least.  Another thing I don't like that much about his relationship with the boys is that every time Castle asks for a favour they want something from him in return, it's played obviously for fun but that's not really true friendship to me.

Castle was shown as a sociable guy before TPTB stripped him of his social life and friends so I doubt he would have been lonely for long, he didn't strike me as an insular person who stayed cooped up isolated writing all day, he obviously enjoyed life and interacting with others. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3

Jury's still out for me as to whether either/both will re-sign, but if they're negotiating, I am curious to know if they are doing it together as a team or not.

That would be interesting as rumour has it that SK signed her new improved contract (aka more money) in S5 but NF held out until S6 until he got what he wanted.

$1million? Is this a figure that article writers pull out to make it sound good? They would struggle to get 500k let alone $1million.

She would never be guest A on Letterman, and he has been more than once. But, like I said, she could argue as much as him that there's no show without her.

I suppose it depends on how much they are willing to keep the bigger star in how much they appease the smaller star of the pair.

The source is the National Enquirer so that's instantly gives that article zero credibility, considering what has been suggested they earn the idea they're pushing for a $1M is ridiculous. Obviously you start high with any negotiation and them meet somewhere in the middle but you don't that aim that high, they're not big enough stars to warrant that outlay, the show is ageing and the ratings aren't great, they're okay but nothing special and dipping at the moment. 

I do think they would band together though to increase their negotiating power like Emily and David did on Bones when they wanted to make better deals. 

Edited by verdana
He already had written  double digit bestsellers and gotten an offer to write James Bond independent of Nikki Heat so it rings false to me if they say his writing career sucked just because he didn't have a muse in Beckett.  He might be suffering from writer's block or not doing his best work but I believe he would still be a successful writer had he not met Beckett. 

In the sneak peek there was still a copy cat killed that he helped with, so it doesn't sound like they are saying he wouldn't be successful at all (which would have been annoying).  I can see them saying books he had writer's block and didn't have a new series as successful as the Heat one. That doesn't take away from all his previous success.  In that interview Amman didn't say he wasn't successful, he said he wasn't where he wanted to be.  That could just mean he just still has writer's block.  Or that he thinks he has peaked.  

If I recall correctly, he got the Bond offer just before the launch of the first Nikki Heat book

It was right before it launched yes, but it's possible they wouldn't have made the offer if they hadn't been seeing press about him that kept them in their minds.  It's also possible they would have.  It's even more possible that the writers don't remember that particular storyline and won't address it here.

I want the AU to delve into how they complete each other more than about how one party rescued the other from an utterly miserable existence. 

Me too. Castle and Beckett both had their lives completely changed by the other, and they have both grown as people because of their relationship.  That's a fact.  I don't know why people think that's an insult to Castle's character.  The fact that's they are better now doesn't mean either of them were bad before. 

She's the one after all who wanted to put the breaks on, who said they needed to find their "solid ground" and would talk about things in a month.

If you think about it, it would almost make more sense for Beckett to be the one to have the AU experience and be inspired to get married quickly.  But then people would probably complain about how it's too Beckett-centric, so I'm kind of glad they didn't go there.

I agree that Amann's interviews seem to be having the opposite affect to what he intended and that some fans are increasingly fearful with every passing day and want it over with.

Well, I am excited about it.  I think it may not live up to my expectations, but I'm still looking forward to it.  I think some people just expect the worst with everything on this show, so of course they are going to be worried about every episode.  I wouldn't want to watch a show where I felt like that, I prefer enjoying them.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2
Isn't that just standard business? You don't ask for what you want/think you'll actually get, you ask for much, much more. Then you negotiate back to the figure you'll actually accept.

Or they don't actually want to do another season, so they ask for something ridiculous that they don't expect to get and don't have to look like the ones walking away. And if ABC actually went for it and gave them $23 million they'd be okay staying because it's $23 million. 

I'm not saying I think that's the case, or that I believe the article, just that it's a potential negotiation approach.

Or they don't actually want to do another season, so they ask for something ridiculous that they don't expect to get and don't have to look like the ones walking away. And if ABC actually went for it and gave them $23 million they'd be okay staying because it's $23 million. 

I'm not saying I think that's the case, or that I believe the article, just that it's a potential negotiation approach.

I did think that as well, but then I thought I was seeing a massive conspiracy, time will tell.

If you think about it, it would almost make more sense for Beckett to be the one to have the AU experience and be inspired to get married quickly.  But then people would probably complain about how it's too Beckett-centric, so I'm kind of glad they didn't go there.

I've seen this suggestion going around on quite a few blogs on tumblr and I have to say I agree it should be Beckett. Whilst I'm one of the fans who want more focus on Castle as a character how they're choosing to do that isn't working for me. I think they're going about things in the wrong way, so far this season nothing much involving Rick Castle has made much sense or been that satisfying to watch despite the writers efforts.

Castle is ready, he wants to get married right away he wanted to get married in 6.23 and in 7.02 but the writers created each time a roadblock, the second time it was Beckett and her concerns.  It's Kate that needs the convincing to move forward - not Castle - and this would have been the perfect vehicle for them to do that with Beckett being the one trying to convince Castle. It would also have given the audience a much smoother segue into the wedding proposal and acceptance too than I think we will end up getting.  

• Love 2