Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Poor Stana.. Poor Nathan... Poor whoever...
All I know is that for a 2nd week in a row I don't want to watch the show.
 It doesn't really matter if Nathan is evil or Stana a witch or both are villains.

The show is now ruined for me and I suspect for many other people out there.

I do not even want to watch any re-runs.

Personally I cannot stand a Fillion-only show. I like him a lot, but in small doses. Becket's character was giving the show a balance, and I cannot see anyone from the current cast to able to do her "job".
This lack of balance is what made the show so bad this season. 

And well, I blame ABC.  They should have found a way to keep their stars in order.  It is an epic failure from their part.

• Love 3

I don't really get the outcry over Stana leaving or blaming everyone BUT her. Didn't they pull a last minute contract negotiation with her for this season? If I remember correctly she was shooting a movie at the end of the world and was it Winter (?) who traveled there to get her on board for this season ? So she either knew back then already what was going on or they played her. I pretty much think she knew what was coming her way and therefore she should take some blame of what is happening now.

I don't think I'll finish the show at all. Haven't watched the last two episodes and I'm not really in the mood. In my eyes the show has been fading since season 6 and with all the BTS crap now I can finally drop it. Beckett wasn't my favorite for the last couple of seasons but just Castle and his sidekicks are even more boring. Especially more of Alexis or boring Hayley - no thanks.

Fillion alone won't pull it off. The show either doesn't get picked up or just for a mid season (13 episodes).

I don't really get the outcry over Stana leaving or blaming everyone BUT her. Didn't they pull a last minute contract negotiation with her for this season? If I remember correctly she was shooting a movie at the end of the world and was it Winter (?) who traveled there to get her on board for this season ? So she either knew back then already what was going on or they played her. I pretty much think she knew what was coming her way and therefore she should take some blame of what is happening now.

I don't think I'll finish the show at all. Haven't watched the last two episodes and I'm not really in the mood. In my eyes the show has been fading since season 6 and with all the BTS crap now I can finally drop it. Beckett wasn't my favorite for the last couple of seasons but just Castle and his sidekicks are even more boring. Especially more of Alexis or boring Hayley - no thanks.

Fillion alone won't pull it off. The show either doesn't get picked up or just for a mid season (13 episodes).

David Amann travelled to Florence when she was filming "Lost In Florence" and shared a gelato with her. This was after the S6 finale and when Stana's investment in her character and the show seemed to start waning. She also spent some time in Greece doing several promo interviews for the show, you can find them on youtube.

This is from @tvandmusicfan on Twitter:

My friend at CBS talked to some crew he knows at ABC and found out the following:

1). it had been a "known secret" Katic was leaving.

2). There was problems on set, but the problem went "both ways" with the actors.

3). The news of Katic's exit was released early to "test the water" of fans.

4). The show will "most likely" be renewed for season 9 pending plotline approval.

My friend in LA told me if there is a Castle season 9, Beckett will "demise off camera" between the season 8 finale and the premiere. Insiders are "95% certain" Castle will be renewed.  It is "up to Fillion" on what he wants to do. It would be only 13 episodes.

They "do plan" on having Ryan and Esposito back, but it will "depend on the storyline."

Molly Quinn will "certainly be back" if the show is renewed, but screen time will depend on the new co-star.

My friend at CBS reminded me that TV is business.  Even with slightly lower ratings, not paying a huge paycheck to Stana will help profits.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, sugarrush said:

My friend at CBS talked to some crew he knows at ABC and found out the following:

2). There was problems on set, but the problem went "both ways" with the actors.

4). The show will "most likely" be renewed for season 9 pending plotline approval.

My friend in LA told me if there is a Castle season 9, Beckett will "demise off camera" between the season 8 finale and the premiere. Insiders are "95% certain" Castle will be renewed.  It is "up to Fillion" on what he wants to do. It would be only 13 episodes.

They "do plan" on having Ryan and Esposito back, but it will "depend on the storyline."

Molly Quinn will "certainly be back" if the show is renewed, but screen time will depend on the new co-star.

My friend at CBS reminded me that TV is business.  Even with slightly lower ratings, not paying a huge paycheck to Stana will help profits.

These are all things that anyone could probably guess based on reading the internet.

I would add another guess.  They will get a back 9 if the show is as good as Monday's...if Fillion agrees, that is.

Edited by TWP
53 minutes ago, sugarrush said:

No 3 Not sure what "water" they tested, maybe a goldfish bowl, or a commode, but the online response seems to have been rather negative, and a friend who is a member of the Advisory Panel told me it's the same there, several polls are currently showing 84% not watching a Beckettless show

Been expecting Beckett to be not quite dead as the cliffhanger.

Despite Fillione's apparent intervention it seems that Jon and Seamus' continuance is not cut and dried in any meaningful way.

I'm surprised it mentions a new co-star, I thought they would have avoided that.

Came across this post in the comments of one of the TV Line articles,

wings hauser says:

April 26, 2016 at 12:12 PM

I did an episode of Castle a few weeks ago. Rarely do u find an Actor as kind and generous as STANA. Willing to rehearse over and over until I felt comfortable, really rare. Simple, she gives a DAM……… A real pleasure.

He played Jack Flanagan in Fidelis Ad Mortem

Edited by westwingfan

No 3 Not sure what "water" they tested, maybe a goldfish bowl, or a commode, but the online response seems to have been rather negative, and a friend who is a member of the Advisory Panel told me it's the same there, several polls are currently showing 84% not watching a Beckettless show

If the "insider information" is true, the waters they're testing are the ratings and those have been fine (by current Castle standards), so proceedeth forwardeth.  Money is not made by online reaction or Advisory Panel polls.  Although the online reaction is loud, it is a small fraction of the audience and an even smaller fraction of Nielsen. From my understanding, the people on the advisory panel have frequently been frustrated by the low level of response by ABC to their issues.  Also, I suspect the goal next fall will be a younger audience and not necessarily women, so if they cut a few of the Stana contingent, they will be sorry, but not devastated by the news.  They want the Marvel audience, and those are not necessarily the Stana audience.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, TWP said:

If the "insider information" is true, the waters they're testing are the ratings and those have been fine (by current Castle standards), so proceedeth forwardeth.  Money is not made by online reaction or Advisory Panel polls.  Although the online reaction is loud, it is a small fraction of the audience and an even smaller fraction of Nielsen. From my understanding, the people on the advisory panel have frequently been frustrated by the low level of response by ABC to their issues.  Also, I suspect the goal next fall will be a younger audience and not necessarily women, so if they cut a few of the Stana contingent, they will be sorry, but not devastated by the news.  They want the Marvel audience, and those are not necessarily the Stana audience.

But how can you base a S9 on the current ratings when you've basically ripped up the original show, they would hardly seem relevant, I can understand trying to woo a new audience but still calling it Castle would seem a sham.

Does that mean that Fillione might be seen prancing around in spandex next season. LOL

Just now, westwingfan said:

But how can you base a S9 on the current ratings when you've basically ripped up the original show, they would hardly seem relevant, I can understand trying to woo a new audience but still calling it Castle would seem a sham.

Does that mean that Fillione might be seen prancing around in spandex next season. LOL

Maybe they WON'T call it Castle next season. The thoughts of spinoff have been brewing.  Shows lose co-stars and still use the same name.  But you're right, if they want to woo the new audience, it's better to change the name so it feels like something new.  I don't think ABC cares about seeming a sham, as long as the money comes.

Fillion(e) would prance in spandex, all but has already.  They didn't call him "Captain Tightpants" on Firefly for no reason. ;-). 

• Love 1

You have to admire some people's optimism. Although, technically they're probably right. LOL

For all we know about #Castle and the wonderful crew, do you really think that anybody' s gonna die in the final?? People - have faith!

If I was interested in a S9 I might suggest we run a poll on how long people think the time bump will be after the S8 finale. Normally it's 2 to3 months so that the show runs pretty much on current time. Rise had the bump after the opening scene, as did Valkyrie, the bump in S5 came after the first episode as Beckett served out her suspension, and the bump in S7 was curtailed into the first half of Driven until Castle was found, but all of the bumps were 2 to 3 months. Will Castle really have forgotten he had a wife in that time frame, or will they go for something longer this time. Most of those still watching by that time are probably those that don't give a **** that he'd seen his Yin to his Yang sacrifice herself for him as the show will probably have morphed into a comedy hour by then.

I'm not sure if the translation of the interview Fillione gave to that French crew in Feb has been posted here, so apologies if this is a repeat.

https://twitter.com/manamitru/status/724569696339677185

If you click on the white part you get an English translation, it repeats his previous stated wish (tongue in cheek I presume) that Castle ends with a bullet in his head so he can't be played by anyone else. If only it was him taking the bullet, perhaps he isn't quite as influential as some of us think, although the showrunners could say that at least it is A Castle taking a bullet in the head now that that is Beckett's married name. LOL

1 hour ago, westwingfan said:

My thoughts exactly. If you want to "test the waters" for something that hasn't happened, you can't look at the ratings. The show is still what many people love (to an extend) and I know of several who have said they will enjoy those last few episodes with both actors then won't be back for S9. I think if they want to "test the waters", they need to include online and fan reaction. And the fan reaction is overwhelmingly negative and not just the standard "I won't watch". They're actually taking action - they're petitioning to cancel Castle, they are trying to get "cancel Castle" trending on twitter, there are various polls with an overwhelming majority which state that they won't watch without Beckett, even casual fans says they won't watch, they are organizing campaigns to write to ABC to save Caskett, just to name a few. That can't be ignored. (Well, it can but ABC would be stupid if they ignored that) And what's the point of investing in a S9 that will most likely tank in the ratings when you can just save the money altogether? I don't get it.

3 hours ago, sugarrush said:

That last bit sounds like a real load of b.s. from this person on twitter. If the new co-star winds up being someone like Summer Glau. I doubt she's much "cheaper" to hire than Stana Katic. If its not Glau it still seems doubtful that they couldn't have saved just as much or more if they'd trimmed several of the other long standing actors but LEFT Stana. Really the idea that her going is about saving money is bunk when you look at all those factors combined.

Edited by Kromm
14 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

My thoughts exactly. If you want to "test the waters" for something that hasn't happened, you can't look at the ratings. The show is still what many people love (to an extend) and I know of several who have said they will enjoy those last few episodes with both actors then won't be back for S9. I think if they want to "test the waters", they need to include online and fan reaction. And the fan reaction is overwhelmingly negative and not just the standard "I won't watch". They're actually taking action - they're petitioning to cancel Castle, they are trying to get "cancel Castle" trending on twitter, there are various polls with an overwhelming majority which state that they won't watch without Beckett, even casual fans says they won't watch, they are organizing campaigns to write to ABC to save Caskett, just to name a few. That can't be ignored. (Well, it can but ABC would be stupid if they ignored that) And what's the point of investing in a S9 that will most likely tank in the ratings when you can just save the money altogether? I don't get it.

The ratings represent the dollars, thus they are the meaningful metric that the network will provide to the advertisers.  The network has seen bad fan reactions, petitions, etc before (The Save Forever campaign is one).  The boycotts have made almost no difference at all this time to the ratings.  The angry are loud and proud, but they are far smaller than they think they are.  The ratings will say if Nathan still has star-power to carry the show even if they completely re-tool the show once Stana is gone. 

Watch:  These online campaigns will be ignored.  Find an example where an online campaign has gotten a show cancelled.  Some have been renewed from campaigns, but not cancelled.

• Love 1

Ask Matt: Flashback Fatigue, Blacklistand Castle Fallout, RuPaul's Drag Raceand More

Matt answers a number of questions about Castle this week from the fans, I note even he's stepping into the quicksand gossip wise. 

Matt Roush: Backstage gossip is not my area of expertise, but tension on this particular set was not exactly a well-kept secret, though nothing I'd feel comfortable commenting on unless someone with authority went public. (And maybe not even then, although it may help explain why the couple sometimes has limited screen time together.) Once this announcement was made, it became open season for those analyzing the situation to bring this up. But all I'm really concerned with as a critic is whether it makes sense to continue without one half of the lead couple. WouldThe Thin Man be the same if Nick lost Nora? As for how Castle will write out Beckett: That's a corner they've painted themselves into, and I'll be curious if they can resolve it in a way more satisfying than, say, Matthew driving to his doom in Downton Abbey (still haven't gotten over that one).

He goes on to say this and I quite agree with him in terms of Castle reaching its sell by date (at least in it's current premise) some time ago:

Matt Roush: I feel the show reached that end a while ago, once the producers kept throwing up obstacles in the Castle-Beckett relationship instead of just settling in for a comfortable long and happy run. But as long as the audience kept coming back, ABC would have been foolish to pull the plug on a franchise like this. I'm with you, though, that bringing Castle back as a shell of its former self is not the best way to go. It's all kind of sad.

Edited by verdana
9 minutes ago, TWP said:

The ratings represent the dollars, thus they are the meaningful metric that the network will provide to the advertisers.  The network has seen bad fan reactions, petitions, etc before (The Save Forever campaign is one).  The boycotts have made almost no difference at all this time to the ratings.  The angry are loud and proud, but they are far smaller than they think they are.  The ratings will say if Nathan still has star-power to carry the show even if they completely re-tool the show once Stana is gone. 

Watch:  These online campaigns will be ignored.  Find an example where an online campaign has gotten a show cancelled.  Some have been renewed from campaigns, but not cancelled.

I don't doubt that the fan reaction will be ignored. I just think they can hardly tell how a S9 without Katic will do by current ratings since Katic is still there and, as basically everyone says, she is one half of the love story and that's what the show is about. If they really think current ratings are any indication of how a potential S9 will do they're completely ignorant in my opinion.

And the more time passes, the curiouser I find the lack of any reaction of Hawley and Winter. I understand that maybe they can't really speak on the matter and I don't expect them to, but why hasn't there been a statement like "We're sad to see her go, great person blabla, we're wishing her all the best"? I really want to know what's up with that!

Edited by CheshireCat

The Cancel Castle petition signatures right now amount to about 0.072% of the worst viewing audience Castle has ever had (5 million). They don't add up to even a whole tenth of a percent of the very fewest viewers of the show.  See why they are ignored?

I see Kerry Washington has been given a pay increase by ABC and yet when you look at the ratings for Scandal they seem to have taken an even worse nosedive than Castle, OK the demo is still a little better, but this season's premier got 3.3/10.3M, since then there has been an even more dramatic decline than Castle, by episode 10 they were down to 2.2/7.0M and the latest episode 18  got just 1.5/6.0M. Castle's current seasonal average is 1.1/6.1M, and if they hadn't aired one episode on a Sunday and another against the Grammy's it might not be as low as that.

Given the changes that are afoot I can't see how an advertiser would rely too much on the current Castle ratings, unless ABC has been gathering info on projected ratings for a S9 that they can present at the upfronts.

Edited by westwingfan
15 minutes ago, westwingfan said:

I see Kerry W777ashington has been given a pay increase by ABC and yet when you look at the ratings for Scandal they seem to have taken an even worse nosedive than Castle, OK the demo is still a little better, but this season's premier got 3.3/10.3M, since then there has been an even more dramatic decline than Castle, by episode 10 they were down to 2.2/7.0M and the latest episode 18  got just 1.5/6.0M. Castle's current seasonal average is 1.1/6.1M, and if they hadn't aired one episode on a Sunday and another against the Grammy's it might not be as low as that.

Given the changes that are afoot I can't see how an advertiser would rely too much on the current Castle ratings, unless ABC has been gathering info on projected ratings for a S9 that they can present at the upfronts.

If they're smart, I can see ABC presenting Castle 2.0 as a pilot with the ratings history as evidence of the star power of the proposed lead.   By your example, why would they present ratings for Scandal either?  Because ratings are the metric the advertisers use for EVERYTHING.  And of course, Scandal isn't going to do as well advertising-wise because the ratings are lower.  My point is that ratings definitely trump things like unscientific twitter buzz (something Nielsen has been unsuccessfully trying to sell) and petition signatures that amount to less than a tenth of a percentage of the viewing audience.

And I will fully disclose that I think petitions to cancel shows are ugly and mean-spirited.  People who do them say, "oh, those 400 people who would lose their jobs can find other jobs." But so, then, can those two relative stars (one a millionaire) who got the axe that incited the petition, while the 396 other lower minions will have some longevity on one show without the hassle of a job search.  But I will always side with the minions, because I am one.  And I rest assured that nothing will come from the mean-spirited petition.

I definitely am not happy that Stana lost her job.  I am confident though that she will move on to something better. And maybe the petitions will help persuade producers and directors? 

Edited by TWP

Latest from Variety

Long-running drama “Castle” also has a 50/50 shot at returning after jettisoning actors Stana Katic and Tamala Jones and their accompanying salaries. ABC is in negotiations with star Nathan Fillion and will have a definite decision for the show’s team May 5 or 6.

I guess with the question of the two endings hanging they've got to let Hawley know at least a week before the finale airs so they know which one to distribute, and even if there still isn't an official announcement before May 16, as the upfronts are the following day, then the answer will be obvious by the final scene.

I'm a bit surprised the news from a reliable rag like Variety is saying that negotiations are still going on, I would have thought everything would have been done and dusted by now that Stana is out of the way, what could they be haggling over?

Edited by westwingfan
1 hour ago, TWP said:

If they're smart, I can see ABC presenting Castle 2.0 as a pilot with the ratings history as evidence of the star power of the proposed lead.   By your example, why would they present ratings for Scandal either?  Because ratings are the metric the advertisers use for EVERYTHING.  And of course, Scandal isn't going to do as well advertising-wise because the ratings are lower.  My point is that ratings definitely trump things like unscientific twitter buzz (something Nielsen has been unsuccessfully trying to sell) and petition signatures that amount to less than a tenth of a percentage of the viewing audience.

And I will fully disclose that I think petitions to cancel shows are ugly and mean-spirited.  People who do them say, "oh, those 400 people who would lose their jobs can find other jobs." But so, then, can those two relative stars (one a millionaire) who got the axe that incited the petition, while the 396 other lower minions will have some longevity on one show without the hassle of a job search.  But I will always side with the minions, because I am one.  And I rest assured that nothing will come from the mean-spirited petition.

I definitely am not happy that Stana lost her job.  I am confident though that she will move on to something better. And maybe the petitions will help persuade producers and directors? 

Personally, I don't want the show cancelled because Katic lost her job. I want it cancelled because right now that seems to be the only way Castle would get the happy ending it was supposed to have. It is about respect - giving Castle a unhappy ending is disrespectful to what MilMar built, to the characters and to the majority of the fans and I have a huge problem with disrespect.

And as someone who's been in showbusiness (the stage kind) herself, all I can say is that if you go into a field without job security you make a conscious choice to and you're fully aware of what you're getting into. In other words, it's not reason enough for me to not want Castle cancelled especially since it looks like they'd be out of a job after 13 episodes anyway and I would suspect they were/are prepared for the end to be near when they started working on this season.

I also know that it's not uncommon here that production companies shuttle actors/dancers from one production to the next and then only audition for spots if they need to fill up the cast. Or sometimes they don't even audition and you only get in when you "know a guy". And BTS personnel is often employed by the theater. Considering how hard it is to get into Hollywood, and how so many names are recurring, I wouldn't be surprised if similar practices were in place there and a part of the crew might also be employed by the network/studio and if they are, they'd stay employed. It's one thing to stay 400 people are working on a show, it's another altogether to assume just because 400 are working on that show that all of those 400 are immediately unemployed if one show fails.

Edited by CheshireCat
28 minutes ago, TWP said:

definitely am not happy that Stana lost her job.  I am confident though that she will move on to something better. And maybe the petitions will help persuade producers and directors? 

I suppose it's possible news of petitions might get around and help her get work, but I think it's unlikely. 

It's a sad likelihood, likely not much acknowledged by fans, that she's probably going to have a lot of trouble getting work. Not because of anything she did or didn't do, but because of pure numbers--there are just too many actresses in her age range competing for the same jobs (and it's still true that male actors as they age probably get more employable, while women get less employable). 

I think we also have to assume that at least one door--another job at ABC--is probably a closed door for her. Even if none of the theories are right and Fillion didn't throw his weight around to get her out, I think most of the other possible scenarios make it really awkward for her at ABC (and if her name is attached to a pilot they get, probably something they'll want to avoid). If they intended on leveraging her fanbase, they would have already given her a commitment to at least find her a pilot (even if they didn't promise they'd pick it up) as part of an exit deal. There's no indication that's happened, or I think that would have been part of one of the leaks.

The other routes are the crappy Lifetime/Hallmark Channel movies route (which frankly may be even more competitive, because so many other late 30-something, 40-something, or even some 50-something actresses are trying for those), or taking a shot at building her cred doing more Independent movies (I think she did some with her last downtime from Castle). .That last one probably doesn't pay the bills very well, but at least she'd be working.

On another note, maybe Stana's cable show will come to fruition. If not... Well, before Castle, Katic guest-starred on Alias and The Closer. Perhaps she will go back to doing that if her show doesn't happen or even if she just doesn't want to commit long term to anything again.

5 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

On another note, maybe Stana's cable show will come to fruition. If not... Well, before Castle, Katic guest-starred on Alias and The Closer. Perhaps she will go back to doing that if her show doesn't happen or even if she just doesn't want to commit long term to anything again.

Funny you should mention that, I haven't felt like watching any episode of Castle, new or old, since the announcement but her episode of the Closer aired here yesterday and I was able to watch that no trouble, she cry. LOL

She may of course take the opportunity to think about a family while she's not committed, Janel Moloney got married and started a family after the West Wing ended before resuming her career, I saw her on a couple of episodes of the Blacklist not so long ago.

Edited by westwingfan
  • Love 1

This is from 'Super' (2011) a James Gunn movie, before he did Guardians of the Galaxy.  Nathan played The Holy Avenger,  a Christian superhero who helped teenagers manage adolescence.

tumblr_ljadnep1sX1qgd7huo1_500.jpg

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, femmefan1946 said:

This is from 'Super' (2011) a James Gunn movie, before he did Guardians of the Galaxy.  Nathan played The Holy Avenger,  a Christian superhero who helped teenagers manage adolescence.

TOOOOOO MUCH, I didn't risk repeating the image. LOL

Maybe that wig he was pictured wearing the other day was a memento he kept from the movie.

Edited by westwingfan
19 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

tumblr_ljadnep1sX1qgd7huo1_500.jpg

Mr. Fillione is no stranger to tights ;-). Now I'm off to go bleach my eyes.  Glad I bought the Costco 2-pack of bleach.

Edit:  And yes, I need to quote this so we all could see it twice.  Hopefully nobody else will follow suit.

Edited by TWP
4 minutes ago, westwingfan said:

I wish I'd never mentioned Spandex now. LOL

You are responsible for my bleach blindness....but also for my lovely bleached blonde locks from the overspray ;-).

Edited by TWP
29 minutes ago, TWP said:

You are responsible for my bleach blindness....but also for my lovely bleached blonde locks from the overspray ;-).

I hope you don't have the same problems that Hans had in Almost Famous. LOL

20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

She's already been informally (Twitter) invited to Hawaii by Rob Hanning, who is presumably moving there to work on Hawaii 50.  With the writing crew dispersing like mad, I suspect she has many opportunities for guest appearances, if not for leads.  If I were her, I'd take some time off and just do the guest shots.

It's a shame Hanning 's leaving too though I'm not surprised at a big turnover in writers at this point in the show's run.  Another crime procedural seems a bit of a waste of his talents to me, but I suppose moving to Hawaii is a bit incentive (actually, no idea if the writers actually live there).  Seems like Castle writers usually move to other network shows but rarely move to cable series.  Don't know if it's hard for writers to land on those like it is for actors.

Anyone interested can check out Nathan's appearance in Deadpool in a DVD extra that someone tweeted at him.  It's less shocking than his Super look heh, but I might not have spotted him.  It's amazing how makeup can really transform actors.  He looks like someone from... a 70s movie? Breaking Bad?  Warning: there's a stache but no spandex. :P

As for Stana, if I were her, I'd definitely take the time to have a long vacation first.  Work can wait. :P

Thanks Wendy. Great to have the site back up and running again. 

Holy Spandex or should I say Wonder Man, I cannot unsee that! But I find the long hair rather suits him though...

Watch what you love.‏@Sandraxf
TV Guide Magazine Finale Preview. I'll just leave this here without any further comment. #Castle

https://twitter.com/Sandraxf/status/725703649071104000/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

What the Loss of One of TV’s Most Powerful Female Characters Means For CASTLE and For ABC at Screen Spy

While those models of strong women doubtlessly entertain and inspire, they don’t often inhabit worlds that audiences can see themselves so clearly in. Beckett however, is in so many ways just like her fans. But for a twist of fate and a dose of determination, it’s not hard for viewers to see themselves standing in her shoes. In that way, she sends the message to woman and young girls all over the world – thanks to Castle’s widespread international distribution – that you don’t need special powers, or wild scandalous circumstances to have an extraordinary story, overcome hardship, and find success and love.

Sorry to burst this writer's bubble but Beckett doesn't serve as a role model for me but then I've long got past the stage of hyperventilating young fan girl (if I ever was one). Unfortunately Kate Beckett has grown increasingly unrelatable as the writing has got gradually mired in big bad conspiracies, emotional angst and they went down the predictable route of over emphasizing her brilliance, hotness and badassary at every turn which jarred with the original much more down to earth and vulnerable, adorably dorkish persona I enjoyed so much.  

Her promotion to Captain has also been a total bust.  It's been a lousy season for Kate Beckett. 

And depending upon what happens in the finale, Beckett may be sending a whole different message to her fans - don't get too attached to your TV characters girls and boys! 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

Sorry to burst this writer's bubble but Beckett doesn't serve as a role model for me but then I've long got past the stage of hyperventilating young fan girl (if I ever was one). Unfortunately Kate Beckett has grown increasingly unrelatable as the writing has got gradually mired in big bad conspiracies, emotional angst and they went down the predictable route of over emphasizing her brilliance, hotness and badassary at every turn which jarred with the original much more down to earth and vulnerable, adorably dorkish persona I enjoyed so much.  

You and I have discussed this before, but we may well be in the minority opinion in fandom at large if not on this board.  I like Beckett very much.  I like characters that I can root for or characters that make a powerful impression in some way.  I do root for Beckett (although it's been hard going this season ;)) but she doesn't serve as a role model for me.  I don't even look for role models on TV; I'd much rather look for them in real life.  But to see all the young fangirls idolizing Beckett (and/or Stana) to the extremes they do makes me wonder about role models in their lives and the power of TV vs real life.

I miss early years Beckett.  I miss early years Castle.   Heck, I miss early years Nathan and Stana. ;) 

And depending upon what happens in the finale, Beckett may be sending a whole different message to her fans - don't get too attached to your TV characters girls and boys! 

Don't get too attached to your TV shows, period. ;)  I don't necessarily agree with it but I remember Nathan saying in some interview that he learned not to fall in love with his show because he got his heart broken from Firefly. 

• Love 2

I too don't look at TV for role models and with all due respect to the character being successful in her career, the fact they have to dress her up in heals, hair extensions and makeup fit for the runway sort of negates some of the positive stuff - but, again, if I ever (which I never did) looked at the tube for role models, I think I would find pretty much nada.  

I think the fact that they made these significant cast changes and still haven't been able to reach a final decision re: renewal or cancelation means there are numerous reasons for what's going on with the show.  If it had been all about saving that money from those two cast members, then they would probably have just been able to make a deal for renewal but, it is not only a business, it is a very convoluted business.  

Hundreds of people work on a program so if they can find a way to keep it on air, I'm for it (even if I wind up not liking it) because it is not easy to get onto another show (as either actor/crew member) this late in the game for next season and the competition is fierce at any time and I never root for people losing their jobs.  Sounds like decision may well be made by next week - 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Lee4U said:

I too don't look at TV for role models and with all due respect to the character being successful in her career, the fact they have to dress her up in heals, hair extensions and makeup fit for the runway sort of negates some of the positive stuff - but, again, if I ever (which I never did) looked at the tube for role models, I think I would find pretty much nada.  

I think the fact that they made these significant cast changes and still haven't been able to reach a final decision re: renewal or cancelation means there are numerous reasons for what's going on with the show.  If it had been all about saving that money from those two cast members, then they would probably have just been able to make a deal for renewal but, it is not only a business, it is a very convoluted business.  

Hundreds of people work on a program so if they can find a way to keep it on air, I'm for it (even if I wind up not liking it) because it is not easy to get onto another show (as either actor/crew member) this late in the game for next season and the competition is fierce at any time and I never root for people losing their jobs.  Sounds like decision may well be made by next week - 

One of the rumours floating about was that ABC wanted to get rid of Stana after S7 when her original contract expired but chickened out because of the fall out they were facing over killing off McDreamy, from what I recall there was a mini backlash anyway because it was announced that Fillione had re-signed around the time they finished filming in April and Stana's return wasn't confirmed until just before the finale aired in May, plenty of NoBeckettNoCastle tweets then. The plotlines definitely appear to have sidelined her character to a great extent in most of the episodes this season as if preparing people for what to expect, and the expenditure on Castle's P.I office was reportedly at the instigation of ABC. The writings been on the wall for some time that they were angling for the show to turn into Castle P.I. and the ratings, albeit with Beckett still around, have been fairly steady after the initial 0.5/2M drop from S7 and in comparison to some of the falls seen during this season by some of ABC's other shows, and the dumping of Stana and Tamala would seem to have removed the last obstacle for the transition. You would have thought that there would have been an outline plotline of how a Beckettless show would move on in existence for some time, so as you say, it seems that things aren't as cut and dried as many thought following Stana and Tamala's departure or they would have just announced the renewal. I wonder what it is they still have to iron out or could they be having second thoughts after all?

Edited by westwingfan

It sounds like ABC thought Stana asked for too much with her negotiation last season and considered just walking away then. Instead they decided to do one more season with her as a set up to a totally Beckettless show. They probably never planned to negotiate with her this year. I feel like Hawley/Winter and Seamus have used the word "transition" to describe this year. I don't know what Stana asked for or whether she's happy about this or not, but it sucks that her character is getting such a horrible ending.

With the show taking a nosedive (depending on your view of no Beckett), this may be of no value for this show. But in case anyone missed this, you can now choose which shows you want to put on your homepage. (The prior build only allowed so many.) So customize away.

....that you don’t need special powers, or wild scandalous circumstances to have an extraordinary story, overcome hardship, and find success and love.

Nope, you just need to be unbelievably gorgeous, Stanford ready, and good at everything.  I think Beckett was written as a superhero.  The only thing she didn't do well was control her obsessions.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, westwingfan said:

You would have thought that there would have been an outline plotline of how a Beckettless show would move on in existence for some time, so as you say, it seems that things aren't as cut and dried as many thought following Stana and Tamala's departure or they would have just announced the renewal. I wonder what it is they still have to iron out or could they be having second thoughts after all?

Or maybe ABC is waiting for the upfronts to announce its decision.

• Love 1

If , and it is a big if, ABC planned to drop SK (and assuming TJ was just collateral damage), surely they did some focus groups or surveys to see if the audience would stay around without her.

If they did that, then all the Stanatics are fewer in number than they think. Or are in the wrong demographic for the advertisers' needs.

Can anyone tell me who advertises on Castle in the USA? (I see the Canadian version with different ads.)

If it's Buick and Depends, then they don't want SKs teenyboppers. If it's Skittles, Payless Shoes and wine coolers, they do.

I dunno who NF's fanbase is, but when I post anything about him on my Facebook or Pinterest pages, the reactions tend to be from women, although my friends and family are equally divided among all genders.

I think the "Stanatics" are pretty few in numbers, definitely. But I think it's a mistake to suggest those are the only people who would stop watching. My mom doesn't even know her name and said she wouldn't want to watch without Beckett. 

I don't pay that much attention to the commercial, but I am pretty sure it's not all Buick and Depends. It seems like all the same commercials as the other shows I watch.

• Love 3

I do get annoyed when it is suggested the only people who are disappointed by this are "Stanatics"

I am neither a Stana or Nathan fan really, I am a fan of the story this show has told for 8 seasons.  It's being ruined and that's what I am sad about.   

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, BellyLaughter said:

I do get annoyed when it is suggested the only people who are disappointed by this are "Stanatics"

I am neither a Stana or Nathan fan really, I am a fan of the story this show has told for 8 seasons.  It's being ruined and that's what I am sad about.   

What I find a little odd about all this is that Fillione has 3.48M followers on twitter as against Stana's 611K and yet the postings and comments to the various online articles are overwhelmingly supportive of Stana and against a S9 without Beckett. The Hollywood Reporter Poll has had 20K vote and 83% say they won't watch a S9 without Beckett, other polls with less interest are also curiously running at a similar ratio, I would have expected a lot more support for Fillione given his larger fanbase.

• Love 1