Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I just hope they don't start off Beckett's job as captain by having her get involved in something that is perhaps unethical or not the most legal way to investigate.

Yeah me too, that's what worries me about the story as it might pan out that the writers will end up making Beckett look bad just to get the story where they want it to go. Instead of garnering lots of sympathy she'll get derision and anger heaped on her. I want to sympathise with Kate's dilemma at the end of the day even if I don't agree with her choices but I'll find it more difficult to do that if she's clearly abusing her new position as a police captain. 

• Love 1

Yeah me too, that's what worries me about the story as it might pan out that the writers will end up making Beckett look bad just to get the story where they want it to go.

Having a new showrunner is really your only hope here. The old regime would gleefully throw either character under the bus to advance whatever story point they wanted to make.

• Love 1
I just hope they don't start off Beckett's job as captain by having her get involved in something that is perhaps unethical or not the most legal way to investigate.

Yeah me too, that's what worries me about the story as it might pan out that the writers will end up making Beckett look bad just to get the story where they want it to go. Instead of garnering lots of sympathy she'll get derision and anger heaped on her. I want to sympathise with Kate's dilemma at the end of the day even if I don't agree with her choices but I'll find it more difficult to do that if she's clearly abusing her new position as a police captain. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they went in that direction because TV writers don't seem to know (or interested in) how to write police characters who operate by the book and get the job done well.  They'll have Capt. Beckett crossing the line, or at least putting herself on it ;) and doing things her own way.  But it won't be to make Beckett look bad, it'll be to garner her applause for being a badass. ;)  The Beckett I knew in the beginning was all about doing things by the book and procedure (remember how she got worked up even by Castle jumping the queue to get lab results in the pilot?), but in later seasons, she would do things like kicking over tables and manhandling suspects, and even conspire to cover up crimes committed by her dead mentor with her subordinates (the thing is, it didn't even seem to be an ethical dilemma for any of the characters), which, in the real world would not be tolerated.  I give it some leeway because it's a fictional character, but it doesn't sit right with me when actions veering on police brutality are meant to be applauded as a character being "badass".  Maybe it's the 24 syndrome.  Lots of fangirls seem to enjoy those moments as such so I'm probably in the minority.

Hayley seems to be another character written in the vein of not doing things legally.  It's like if you do things the right way, you can't win or you're boring. ;)

I don't see any bias in the promotion of the show so far unless you happen to be a conspiracy theorist.  There's been equal opportunity promotion of several storylines involving Castle, Beckett, and new characters from the showrunner interviews.  They probably talked about all of them in one go and the media's just separating them into chunks.  Beckett's promotion to Captain and her returning Bracken storyline got a fair share of attention.  The main thing I've taken away from all the promotion so far is they sure seem to be spilling a lot of info ahead of the show, though perhaps not the real shocker. ;)  I agree there has been a relative lack of Caskett promotion, but I don't recall seeing a huge amount of that either last hiatus in the aftermath of that cliffhanger.   ABC's generally promoted Castle as a light hearted show so it's no surprise that they tend to use the comedic Castle moments in their rare Castle publicity, and Castle is the title character.  That's not a slight on any other character or actor.  Maybe people can start worrying when one lead character disappears from the photoshopped poster ;), but as it is, we're still stuck with two equally gigantic photoshopped heads.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 3

Nice group shot there of the boys and Nathan.

I don't like that shirt Espo is wearing. 

And #50 Shades of Blue continues on Castle.  It's a nice shade of blue, but still.

Luke's passed the plaid torch from Castle to Espo.

Jon seemed to be a Caskett shipper for doing that fan vid to Ledge of Love.

Shipper or not, he was smart to capitalise on the Caskett fanbase to promote his music.  And this new song works out well for him too.  ABC's featuring his music on the DVD, and basically shooting a music video for him at their expense.  His Ledge of Love video included Caskett clips so let's see if this one around includes some as well.  But their characters weren't actually invited to the wedding!

I find it funny that in that shot of "Shay Jean", Seamus is shot as looking taller than Jon, and that Jon would allow that heh.  Hasn't he always maintained that he's the taller guy? ;)  But they both look like Caskett kiddies alongside Castle & Beckett. :P

ETA: Video of Nathan signing his shirt.  Those on ringwatch will spot something on his hand. ;)

https://instagram.com/p/6iKbf_Qkud/  

Edited by madmaverick
#50 Shades of Blue

Heh, I couldn't be bothered taking the ring on and off every day for work I'd just leave it on. 

Yeah Jon is quite a smart cookie, making the most of his Castle gig and tying that into his music career.  They all know this show is going to come to an end within the next few years so best make the most of it.

Edited by verdana

Why are people more concerned about Hayley and Castle instead of Beckett and the new tech guy?

Because although TV has become much more diverse in the past couple of decades, a white guy can be with a PoC woman but a PoC man can't be with a white woman.

I'm willing to be corrected. But your examples should be within the past two years and the show must be American.

Would you expand that to 3?  If so, then Leverage...

I give it some leeway because it's a fictional character, but it doesn't sit right with me when actions veering on police brutality are meant to be applauded as a character being "badass".  Maybe it's the 24 syndrome.  Lots of fangirls seem to enjoy those moments as such so I'm probably in the minority.

Yeah well I'll join you in the minority view because I don't enjoy watching that kind of thing either. I know TV writers generally think it's great drama and something to be excited about as a character rides roughshod over the rules in order to achieve their aims. However, it touches a raw nerve watching people in positions of authority (especially when they are meant to be working on behalf of the public good and answerable to them) abuse that power without any real compunction and there are no consequences for their actions when in RL I'd like to believe there might be repercussions. 

• Love 3

Why are people more concerned about Hayley and Castle instead of Beckett and the new tech guy?

Because although TV has become much more diverse in the past couple of decades, a white guy can be with a PoC woman but a PoC man can't be with a white woman.

I'm willing to be corrected. But your examples should be within the past two years and the show must be American.

I suspect that color has little or nothing to do with it. My sense of the unease is that it's because there's appears to be more of an imbalance of emphasis between the two main characters and whatever subsidiaries they have or acquire. The focus on Castle as PI in the promo only encourages speculation that Beckett's progress through S8 will simply be one protracted exit, so it doesn't really matter who is on her team -- they'll either remain with the show or be killed off, and the investigative team will shift from the 12th to Castle's PI office. We won't know if this is true until the season has progressed (or someone lets something indiscreet slip on social media), but people are trying to establish patterns in the spoiler kaleidoscope before the next twist of the cylinder.

Yeah well I'll join you in the minority view because I don't enjoy watching that kind of thing either. I know TV writers generally think it's great drama and something to be excited about as a character rides roughshod over the rules in order to achieve their aims. However, it touches a raw nerve watching people in positions of authority (especially when they are meant to be working on behalf of the public good and answerable to them) abuse that power without any real compunction and there are no consequences for their actions when in RL I'd like to believe there might be repercussions. 

I'm not really a fan of it either.  At first they only did it to show how crazed Kate got when it was her mom's case, but then it also got expanded when other cases got personal.  Which is understandable, and why cops generally aren't allowed to work on personal cases.  People seem to like it because they show it as a sign of love or something?  I'd prefer if they did that less and less though.

But if Beckett is captain now she should be held to an even higher standard.  They wouldn't do something stupid like have her get bumped back down to detective would they? Then reset the show back the way it was?  Kind of like the DC arc?

I think part of the reason people forget about tech guy is because other than the line about being a "confident" to Beckett, we don't know anything. But with Haley, we've been told she's working with Castle, that she does things not by-the-book (just like Castle used to), and is apparently going to be hanging around the loft and acting as a sister-figure to Alexis. That's a lot more to try to digest without knowing what direction they're taking things.

I imagine Alexis will be on the show a very long time, even after Beckett is gone. It's called Castle after all not Beckett. So we'll transition into the "Castles" solving crime while enjoying a little "foreplay" & KB will be just a memory in Richard's bedroom, since her picture isn't even on the piano with the "family", not even their wedding picture.

Is this just super speculation or based in something? Or just sarcasm? I can't really tell. :/

And if the advisory panel feedback truely is negative about choices they are making this season but they are forging ahead regardless that only inflates my concern.

Is than an advisory panel up? Are they looking for fan feedback yet? Or is this down the road, after the season starts? They've been pretty decent in changing trajectory when things seem to not sit well with the fans (like Pi) ... so ...

And I just realized that if the catalyst to this season is Beckett ending things to protect Castle, shouldn't we be looking for Beckett wearing her wedding ring? All the media of Nathan (as Castle) wearing one is all well and good, but if he's not the one that wants things to be over ...

I just wish there was more than disheartening speculation to go on. Can it be September?

Is than an advisory panel up? Are they looking for fan feedback yet? Or is this down the road, after the season starts? They've been pretty decent in changing trajectory when things seem to not sit well with the fans (like Pi) ... so ...

I really don't know much about the advisory panels or how they work -- I really only know they exist and I assume the studio/network do refer to them to see how SLs are being received.  Perhaps another poster here would be able to explain them in greater detail??  

I think part of the reason people forget about tech guy is because other than the line about being a "confident" to Beckett, we don't know anything. But with Haley, we've been told she's working with Castle, that she does things not by-the-book (just like Castle used to), and is apparently going to be hanging around the loft and acting as a sister-figure to Alexis. That's a lot more to try to digest without knowing what direction they're taking things.

Is this just super speculation or based in something? Or just sarcasm? I can't really tell. :/

And I just realized that if the catalyst to this season is Beckett ending things to protect Castle, shouldn't we be looking for Beckett wearing her wedding ring? All the media of Nathan (as Castle) wearing one is all well and good, but if he's not the one that wants things to be over ...

I just wish there was more than disheartening speculation to go on. Can it be September?

It's part sarcasm, but more part fear & the way I see things going. Worst case scenario if I may. I'm new here, but what I've basically feared in past episodes and seasons has happened so far. This isn't anything based on info I have. Sorry about the confusion.

Advisory panel on ABC doesn't have a survey up yet, but those who are members can post on the boards for Castle and there's a moderator that comes every so often and comments. Most of the comments are negative and not many are happy. Moderator isn't very reassuring. They just pass things along to "the team", whatever that means.

I really don't know much about the advisory panels or how they work -- I really only know they exist and I assume the studio/network do refer to them to see how SLs are being received. Perhaps another poster here would be able to explain them in greater detail??

Once you have a login you can post on the boards they have for all their shows. You are also asked to do short surveys for shows you watch the day after they air, for example there are ones for The Whispers & Devious Maids (I think that's the title). There are bigger surveys they did for Castle after finale, and after PI arc, or hiatus. (Can't remember exactly when it was posted.) It took me about 2 hours to complete the finale survey because I was so specific, and well, there was lots I disliked about S7.

You're able to comment on board and people can like it and respond to you. As I said the Moderator isn't reassuring in any way. They respond pretty quick to positive posts, but the negatives are being pretty much ignored. There is a S7 & a General Discussion board for Castle. Also a renewal board, but that has more shows in it.

People have posted the mistakes they make on Twitter & Facebook and all you get is that they'll pass it along to "the team" not fixes. Hope this makes sense.

• Love 1

Most of the comments are negative and not many are happy. Moderator isn't very reassuring. They just pass things along to "the team", whatever that means.

It means he/she is an intern or something with absolutely no power to do anything and probably not allowed to talk directly with anyone in charge.

I don't think we have to worry about a Beckett-less S9, because I have a feeling ratings are going to really drop.in S8 if the speculation turns out to be true....

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 5

Captain Beckett wearing ring filming scene with Martha at precinct Day 1 8x03 "What Lies Beneath..."

https://twitter.com/realssullivan/status/630863465834377221

Edited by westwingfan

But if Beckett is captain now she should be held to an even higher standard. They wouldn't do something stupid like have her get bumped back down to detective would they? Then reset the show back the way it was? Kind of like the DC arc?

Yeah that exactly how I see it, with her promotion she's no longer a detective in charge of the boys (and Castle) and with it comes increased responsibility and accountability. People in those kind of positions have a duty to act correctly and set an example, they can't do just as they please, she's responsible for every person in that precinct and they'll be guided by her actions and her new job should bring a different set of pressures and restrictions that she can't easily dismiss out of hand. I hope they don't have her acting like she did before when she want AWOL with no signs anything has really changed other than she's wearing a skirt and got a brand new office. That's a waste of storytelling potential for the character plus it's not realistic, even though this is a TV show it is meant to be based in RL not fantasy.

As for the risk of demoting her, I doubt the writers would ever allow that to happen to the character, at least the old showrunner wouldn't.

Edited by verdana

As the ABC boards are said to soon be closing, I wonder if these show panels will continue or end. Maybe they will be conducted on Twitter or Facebook.

It's my understanding that the advisory boards will not be closing. But who knows what can happen in the future.

It means he/she is an intern or something with absolutely no power to do anything and probably not allowed to talk directly with anyone in charge.

I don't think we have to worry about a Beckett-less S9, because I have a feeling ratings are going to really drop.in S8 if the speculation turns out to be true....

Probably an intern. They've asked in the past during the season for fans to elaborate on comments they've made or if others agreed with what was said. When I first joined there wasn't too much discussion going on, now there is much more than even during the season. I hope when the season starts we'll get more questions, comments from Moderator.

As the ABC boards are said to soon be closing, I wonder if these show panels will continue or end. Maybe they will be conducted on Twitter or Facebook.

The show panels are run by ABC Studios, rather than ABC (the network), so I don't think one will impact the other.

Captain Beckett wearing ring filming scene with Martha at precinct Day 1 8x03 "What Lies Beneath..."

https://twitter.com/...863465834377221

I expect Castle and Beckett to remain wearing them when the break up happens. They want fans to retain hope not lose it and the symbolism of the rings are all part of that, the writers want to show this couple remain in love with each other, they yearn to be together but can't for a particular reason. If this separation story arc is to have any chance of working the audience must retain hope that Castle and Beckett are going to get back together fairly soon and the lack of a ring as a tangible symbol of their union suddenly becomes more important, your audience start to lose heart and next step they stop watching.

Edited by verdana

Will Beckett be requesting a separation at the behest of the Bad Guy, or it's just an idea she concocts on her own out of concern for his safety?  Wouldn't both require them to appear separated in public?  Not sure how the rings go with that.  Or Beckett tells Castle they're just separating "for now" until the danger's past and so keep wearing the rings?  But such a symbolic connection between them would surely keep Castle in danger as a loved one.

Oh well, a scene where they take off rings (they just put them on, damnit!) would be too angsty.  

And i think there is definitely a Caskett photo in the loft.  Either on top of the piano, or on the dresser in the bedroom, or both.  I remember it as a not the best photo of them, but it's there.

Didn't Hal say that in reality the writers don't pay much attention to Advisory Panel surveys?  Honestly, I can't imagine that they do.  Can't imagine someone like Shonda Rhimes would do so much.  If she did, she'd have a different show heh.

Edited by madmaverick

I just hope the show remembers that it works best (IMO, obviously) when it retains it sense of fun, joy, energy and humor. I'm crossing my fingers that it avoids descending into self-indulgent angst or soapy melodrama. 

I'm still confused about whether the idea that this might be Beckett's last season is pure speculation or based on some sort of information we've received...? Thanks in advance for any clarification! 

Will Beckett be requesting a separation at the behest of the Bad Guy, or it's just an idea she concocts on her own out of concern for his safety?  Wouldn't both require them to appear separated in public?  Not sure how the rings go with that.  Or Beckett tells Castle they're just separating "for now" until the danger's past and so keep wearing the rings?  But such a symbolic connection between them would surely keep Castle in danger as a loved one.

Oh well, a scene where they take off rings (they just put them on, damnit!) would be too angsty.  

And i think there is definitely a Caskett photo in the loft.  Either on top of the piano, or on the dresser in the bedroom, or both.  I remember it as a not the best photo of them, but it's there.

Didn't Hal say that in reality the writers don't pay much attention to Advisory Panel surveys?  Honestly, I can't imagine that they do.  Can't imagine someone like Shonda Rhimes would do so much.  If she did, she'd have a different show heh.

There is a Caskett photo in the loft, the one where Beckett/Stana is wearing the gold dress from one of the season photos hoots. I also saw someone say on Tumble that there's another picture of Beckett in Castle's office that is actually a BTS pic. And if it's on Tumblr it must be true.

I am also confused about how splitting up will keep Castle safe and why people still wouldn't go after him to hurt Beckett.

It is interesting reading all of the ongoing speculation here about the “breakup”, but it is hard to imagine that kind of storyline would last more than 3 episodes unless it was needed for professional reasons.  As soon as the perception of a personal split presents itself out of nowhere which suggests that a divorce might be forthcoming or Beckett no longer resides at the loft, the regular audience who don't read spoilers will leave the show given what happened with viewership at the end of last season. As someone else posted here, there is a huge and unnecessary risk for the new show runners losing goodwill quickly over such a well known ‘Break Up in Order to Keep You Safe’ trope. I expected that TPWinter would come up with something much better for the season. When someone mentions Hawley, all I can think about is "HeadHunters" and what a mess that episode was in season 4. Even Marlowe wouldn’t do something that deliberate to alienate the audience. He would just lie to fans about the direction which might explain why the spoilers are careful to only give out the good news and omit any comments about the future of Caskett given Beckett’s captain promotion.  If the blind item is Castle, I think most will agree that TVLine always exaggerates issues related to Castle.  Some viewers can appreciate a professional split, but not a split in their personal lives over some kind of safety concern for Castle by itself. Most fans watching this season want to see a home life after waiting all this time for them to get married. IMO

Edited by VinceW
And if it's on Tumblr it must be true.

Heh.

Yeah there's two pictures in the loft of them together (well there was...) that I recall and Kate also had a picture of them together (taken from a magazine article in S2?) in her apartment in DC, not sure where that one went to. 

If they do that they can't care too much about trampling over the history between this couple which many fans have treasured and that's sad and I don't care what excuses the showrunners give to justify their decisions. If they try and get too clever and play the story out wrong and arrogantly misjudge the tolerance level of their general audience for angst it'll come back to bite them hard.  

Edited by verdana

As Vince said above, if this separation lasts more than just a few episodes, without some compelling reason (and several secret, steamy rendezvous) the audience will be furious, and no one wants a widespread angry Castle fandom (beyond the usual Tumblr craziness). I'm sure a show that been around the block a few times would appreciated the attention that throwing such a wrench in the works will bring them, but is seems too big a price to pay to alienate the faithful.

And Chado - what have you read or contemplated that leads you to think the split will be that long?

When I read the 20 episode comment, I think of something from a page out of "The BlackList" (2x19 “Leonard Caul”) including a secret organization, cabal and CIA involvement.  As MaryM47 said, there has to be something compelling for the ‘Castle in jeopardy’ scenario to last that long without tanking the partnership. 

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

When I read the 20 episode comment, I think of something from a page out of "The BlackList" (2x19 “Leonard Caul”) including a secret organization, cabal and CIA involvement.  As MaryM47 said, there has to be something compelling for the ‘Castle in jeopardy’ scenario to last that long without tanking the partnership. 

Jack Coleman said this about Bracken's role in the two-parter at the recent Heroes panel at the TCAs

“He is a link to a deep dark story that is about to unveil itself"

Thanks, verdana, for the link -  I had forgotten about that interview. When Stana talks about the "cosmic version" of why they got together, plus insight into his disappearance and her becoming a cop, I wonder if there may be some flashbacks involved? That actually might be a great way for the new showrunners to go back and fill in the many story holes that Marlowe left untouched - for privacy reasons, of course ;)  

The only thing about fan fury is, and I do realize TV Line is also about selling sensationalism, the BI did specifically say TPTB are anticipating this reaction and seem to think the risk will be worth it. I get wanting to stay fresh, but those in the entertainment biz seem to have/need a healthy (or unhealthy) dose of ego.

So even if fans are pissed off, unless the numbers by the casual viewers (which seems to be 90% of an audience) fall off a cliff, I think this arc length depends on how far the ego extends and by how much the new show runners (depending on if they have true autonomy with no Marlowe input) want to leave their imprint on the show.

Lots of ifs, lots of variables, but always something to keep in mind. Sometimes in this business, ego trumps logic.

• Love 1

They'll be leaving an imprint that's for sure but not in the way many fans envisaged when the announcement first came out who was to head the show.

I know there's talk MilMar are still pulling the strings to some degree but I'm not so sure about that, I assumed they've genuinely cut the ties.

Edited by verdana

I see the WriteRCastle twitter is back from hiatus and sounding more fun than the spoilers. We got Castle and Alexis to watch a movie together in Demons so it would've been nice if we got Castle and Beckett watching anything before getting a call in.

Celebrating Hitchcock's birthday with a marathon of his best movies! Beckett promised to hold my hand during the scary parts. #sobrave

Beckett says I can’t put a slip ‘n slide in the loft. Nobody tell her I did while she was at work. Anyone know where I can get a wetvac?

I see the WriteRCastle twitter is back 

Good news. I thought they were giving up glad to see they've had second thoughts. 

Their tweets were always much funnier and more inventive than the "official" Richard Castle twitter feed but then that was no surprise.

Edited by verdana

If we didn't have the experience of the previous 7 years, would any of you be intrigued by a show (Beckettless and therefore Nikki Heat -less) with the S1 description of "succsessful author turns PI in order to spark his writer's imagination works with the help of his grown daughter, madcap mother, some friends in the police force and assorted "experts"? It would still be different enough in tone from much of what is shown on TV that I would probably be intrigued enough to give it a chance. If the description included "continuing menace" or "CIA influence" or some such darkness, I would probably give it a pass, since that's more-of-same with what else is broadcast.

They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library.

The one that's back is the "official" one.

I also saw someone say on Tumble that there's another picture of Beckett in Castle's office that is actually a BTS pic. And if it's on Tumblr it must be true.A

I'm also pretty sure Castle has a photo of Beckett ... in his office or on his dresser. It's the BTS photo of Stana on the steps of Beckett's old apartment (the steps that Beckett used as  bookshelf that lead to the rooftop garden that we never saw).

If we didn't have the experience of the previous 7 years, would any of you be intrigued by a show (Beckettless and therefore Nikki Heat -less) with the S1 description of "succsessful author turns PI in order to spark his writer's imagination works with the help of his grown daughter, madcap mother, some friends in the police force and assorted "experts"?

I'd give it a go but I don't happen to be  that enamoured with the bumbling goofy Castle routine which is unfortunately what the writers have decided to go for as a consistent characterisation, so I doubt I'd watch it for more than a few episodes.  

Didn't Hal say that in reality the writers don't pay much attention to Advisory Panel surveys?  Honestly, I can't imagine that they do.  Can't imagine someone like Shonda Rhimes would do so much.  If she did, she'd have a different show heh.

Yeah Hal said they don't pay attention to them, I'm not surprised by that admission. Showrunners in the main appear to all have this streak of arrogance and confidence that they'll do whatever they please and if what they produce happens to coincide with fans demands then it's a bonus. 

Edited by verdana

Yeah Hal said they don't pay attention to them, I'm not surprised by that admission. Showrunners in the main appear to all have this streak of arrogance and confidence that they'll do whatever they please and if what they produce happens to coincide with fans demands then it's a bonus.

Speaking of show runner arrogance -- did anyone catch the interview the Kings (of The Good Wife fame) did with TVLine yesterday?? That was a doosey!! That's what we're up against folks!! Talk about condescending!

Sorry for the OT.

I caught that, Belly Laughter.  LOL at "we didn't really kill Josh" etc.  On par with Marlowe's "privacy" comment.

Better if they had said nothing.  Everyone comes off looking worse.  Safe to say showrunners should avoid commenting on BTS issues even though it's their job to manage them, unless they're wiling to really address the elephant in the room.  Perhaps not even then.  Amazing how these people are professionals of the written word, but don't seem to have the same fluency, verbally speaking.

OT: How do I avoid losing posts if I accidentally press backspace on my keyboard and it goes back to the previous webpage?

Edited by madmaverick

I caught that, Belly Laughter. LOL at "we didn't really kill Josh" etc. On par with Marlowe's "privacy" comment.

Better if they had said nothing. Everyone comes off looking worse. Safe to say showrunners should avoid commenting on BTS issues even though it's their job to manage them, unless they're wiling to really address the elephant in the room. Perhaps not even then. Amazing how these people are professionals of the written word, but don't seem to have the same fluency, verbally speaking.

Oh my god -- the Josh comment LMAO! I actually went back to re-read that because I thought I had read it wrong the first time!! Mouth open - eyes wide! Yep, I had read it right!

Hello hubris! The show runners best friend!