Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

It reminds me of Alias (again) Season 3, when Melissa George got booed at a fan event before her first episode have even aired.

Oh that sounds awful, poor girl that must be so dispiriting when you're starting out on a show. I take it she was unpopular because she was disrupting some big romance heh.

I must confess I've watched a few eps of The Neighbors (show was funnier than I'd expected in a dorky sort of way) and Ms. Olagundoye was quite good in her mostly comedic work on that show.

I imagine the comedy credentials will serve her well, especially if she's going to be spending time sparring with Fillion.  I keep reading "The Neighbours" as Neighbours the Australia soap.

I feel like I need to clear the air: I never thought Hal was trolling or anything. I just want to be clear.

This new actress ... from The Neighbors! That's where she's from. I liked her there, but I still don't think Castle needs new cast members. Honestly, it might be boring, but I'd be okay with them having kept the status quo, watching interesting cases and a happy Castle/Beckett. If they had tightened up the writing, made more interesting/less special-interest cases of the week, maybe tied it all in to Castle/Beckett/Martha/Alexis/et el's personal lives ... that's all I really wanted. *sigh*

I'm still not going to judge at this point. We don't know anything other than the addition of the new character(s), and we all sort of got used to Tory enough ... so ... I'll wait for more to come out before starting to worry.

• Love 2

I am all for healthy criticism, but if a person hates a show that much they should just stop watching. Why waste your energy if you don't get even a little enjoyment out of it.

Because hate-watching is the new favorite sport of the Internet age.

I've seen this story play out before in other fandoms, so it's really nothing new in my opinion. Just maybe new(er) to the Castle fandom.   

Because hate-watching is the new favorite sport of the Internet age.

I've seen this story play out before in other fandoms, so it's really nothing new in my opinion. Just maybe new(er) to the Castle fandom.   

Oh, yeah, I am aware of hate watching, I've even done it.  But that person seems beyond hate watching to me.  It's obviously hard to tell from one Tumblr post, that was just the sense I got.

Oh that sounds awful, poor girl that must be so dispiriting when you're starting out on a show. I take it she was unpopular because she was disrupting some big romance heh.

Her character was invented to keep the main couple apart.  She was really gutsy to take the part.

Place bets now that all these "fans" won't apologize to the girl when she turns out not to be a series regular.

I wasn't surprised by the response from some fans on Twitter but I was surprised by her sass!  Good for her but I think she may be wasting her time and energies responding to those kinds of tweets!!  

I wonder if adding the new actress because the tptb are transitioning so whenever Nathan and Stana leave, the show will be called the 12th precinct or whatever. Kinda like what the Closer did and became Major Crimes. They kept some supportng characters, promoted other characters that appear once in awhile and added a few new faces. Plus who knows how many new shows on abc might get cancelled next season that this show may be a backup. I'm just not sure if having Ryan/Espo as leads would be enough to retain the current viewers since tptb haven't really built their characters much over the seasons. Since getting rid of Penny, I wouldn't be surprised if Maya eventually gets promoted to series regular since she's been in most eps the last 2 seasons.

If she's not careful, some more, ahem, ~enthusiastic fans won't take kindly to her taking the badass-ness spotlight off of Beckett. ;) 

• Love 1

If she's not careful, some more, ahem, ~enthusiastic fans won't take kindly to her taking the badass-ness spotlight off of Beckett. ;) 

Good for this actress for having steel ovaries. She'll need them on Twitter! I am 100% sure actors of every genre (film, TV, theater) has dealt with passionate fans. It comes with the territory.

• Love 1

Wonder if she'll use the British accent? Is she Nigerian?

Ah yes, thank you Wikipedia.

Olatokunbo Susan Olasobunmi Abeke "Toks" Olagundoye (born September 16, 1975) is a Nigerian television and film actress, writer and producer.[1] She is known for her role as Jackie Joyner-Kersee in the ABC TV sitcom The Neighbors.

Wonder why she uses a nickname though? Surely 'Olatokunbo Susan Olasobunmi Abeke' would just trip off the tongue?

'Meta' is a good description for The Neighbours. Not only did they break the fourth wall, I think they tore out the third and second ones and put in an extension and a raised deck.

I quite liked it.

• Love 2

I'm guessing the title probably refers to one episode being from Castle's POV and the other mostly from Beckett's,

That could work very well, both as crime solving and as a comic episode.

Although I would guess at the end of XX the crime would be unsolved until the XY pov story is told.

Ooooh! Complicated.

• Love 1

Oh good then the Brit accent will be fine then. Nothing worse than a dodgy accent to take you out of any scene.

I wasn't surprised by the response from some fans on Twitter but I was surprised by her sass!  Good for her but I think she may be wasting her time and energies responding to those kinds of tweets!!

Someone on the show needs to have a quick word and tell her to ignore them that's best. I wouldn't be responding directly back to any of them, I've seen how quickly the fans can turn on a dime from tweeting expressions of supposed love and admiration to bitter outrage. 

Penny keeps retweeting fan comments to bring her back on the show. It's so sad.

Poor Penny but she must know that's not going to happen right? I read somewhere that someone set up a facebook campaign started to get her back on the show, I continue to admire fans enthusiasm for such projects but she's gone and that's it.

(edited)

I know you can't give out info Hal because it would be all over the place in a second but I'm struggling for tropish inspiration on break ups (where they're still in love) and realised I'm no showrunner! It's especially vexing when you said it's really a "no brainer" argh!

My only ideas so far are:

• One of them comes under threat from a new (or old) big bad so witness protection it is.
  • Someone comes out of their past we never expected to rock the boat about a personal issue and they can't come to an agreement on how best to sort it.
  • Castle has a career crisis and coupled with Beckett suddenly becoming Captain they argue over their continued working relationship and a hurt Castle quits the precinct and starts up his PI business again.
Edited by verdana
(edited)

ABC have such a lousy track record I think they'd do anything to keep Castle ticking over and I can see them attempting to float the show as a solo vehicle for Fillion eventually but if both stars upped and left then that would be it game over. I'd keep the name Castle if FIllion stuck around obviously. I like the secondary cast well enough but they could get rid of them (like Penny) and it's hardly a seismic event they have no substance or story to latch on to and I don't see how they can rectify years of neglect in one season. In any case they're secondary stars for a reason, the show can't survive with them alone. 

Edited by verdana
  • Castle has a career crisis and coupled with Beckett suddenly becoming Captain they argue over their continued working relationship and a hurt Castle quits the precinct and starts up his PI business again.

Except for an affair, that is is the only possibly I can see.

I hope that this lady (Toks) is good at an English accent because that "Limey" debacle was painful. I'm still not happy whether she is a good actress or not as all this indicates to me is making sure that our stars are split up on screen more often. Yawn.

I really do hope that is the final season now, as I coming to the point of being over it. I wish they would do various things to "close" the show in the final season but I doubt most of those will come to pass.

(edited)

• One of them comes under threat from a new (or old) big bad so witness protection it is.

Well Rob was dusting off the elephants

Uh if we go with tv tropes then I'd like a Dallas shower do over by the end of the season :D

I'm so out of the loop but Ausiello is also talking about a cross over between shows in the blind item. Is that still the same as the breakup blind item ? He is also mentioning DNA in every article. So going by the titles XY and XX for the first two episodes.....which show should Castle cross over with ? This is getting into weird territory. Agents of Shield ? Well that way Nathan can finally be a part of the "we turn every comic into a show or movie" movement.

Urg oy no I just remember how many similarities there are between Gilmore girls and Castle and please don't tell me there is going to be a long lost daughter in there somewhere ? Castle knocked someone up and didn't know about it until now. I'm out if that happens.

Edited by cappuccino

Oh, no, please don't bring up Gilmore Girls and jinx Castle! That was one of the worst show debacles ever, up there with the ending of How I Met Your Mother.  However, given Castle's randy past, it is not a completely unlikely scenario, and as long as he doesn't pull a Luke and lie about it for months, it might not be the worst wrench they could throw into Caskett's relationship.  Although the track record of adding some random little tyke to a show in its later years is dismal.

Oh good then the Brit accent will be fine then. Nothing worse than a dodgy accent to take you out of any scene.

They must be writing it in intentionally, because the original character description on TVLine had Haley as former LAPD, and this new one says former Scotland Yard.

(edited)

Sigh. I so loved the Gilmore Girls...before the love child turned up and it all went to hell.  I do hope Castle never goes there, if they do then I'll prepare myself for the very worst.

I'm still not happy whether she is a good actress or not as all this indicates to me is making sure that our stars are split up on screen more often. Yawn.

I wish her all the best but she could have the acting qualities of Meryl Streep, it won't make any difference if she's taking up too much screen time at the obvious expense of the two leads. I've seen some fans react angrily towards others who admit they only watch the show for Castle and Beckett but I don't care you should be able to like what you like without feeling you need to make excuses for your choices. 

Well Rob was dusting off the elephants

I'm in two minds about Bracken being resurrected, I was bored by the mombatross but at the same time there is scope to go a little further with a trial etc if they wanted to but I don't want to see them go on the run, the witness protection suggestion that's my least favourite.

The only other person from their past I can readily think of who might cause problems is Spydaddy, whilst not a threat to Castle he could bring trouble in some way but then Brolin has shown no sign of wanting to reprise his role for a third time so I don't know how that would work.  

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I hope that this lady (Toks) is good at an English accent because that "Limey" debacle was painful.

The accent was not my problem with that episode!

Of course. But even those C/B only fans - along with the rest - should at least learn some common courtesy on Twitter whether one agrees with her character or not. I swear, anonymity and sitting behind a screen has given the masses a dose of jackass that one would likely never do or say face to face. And yeah, it's all fandoms, not just Castle, but this actress getting slammed is just the latest to get shade before she even shows her face on screen.

Don't like a character and only watch for C/B? Great. But separate actress from character, I say, and show some basic common decency.

Just one of the reasons I hate Twitter and my account collects dust.

• Love 2

I hope that this lady (Toks) is good at an English accent because that "Limey" debacle was painful.

Well, per her official website bio:

I HAS:

An uncanny ability when it comes to accents (seriously, listen to my reels - you’re in for a

treat!), experience reading a teleprompter (not at all as easy as it seems).........

But also, Nigeria was a British colony until as late as 1960, so not only is their official language English, it's British English. (My guess is that's her background because her mother is Norwegian, so chances are her parents were fairly affluent and living in urban areas.) Between that and her having gone to school in England her accent should be okay.

I like her as a persona and as an actress (I enjoyed The Neighbors more than I thought I would), but I'm still iffy on her as a regular on Castle. I don't like change. It's hard for me. Hopefully her sass carries over into her character and she becomes someone I like to watch.

British trained actors are usually pretty good at accents.

Many people are shocked to discover that House is British.

Here he is with Hagrid. 

I also enjoyed his work with Dr. Gordon Gordon from Bones ;)

(edited)

femmefan1946. Oh thank you for making my morning with that Blackadder clip, what a perfect cast and then there's more goodness in the Wooster clip. I enjoyed Dr Gordon Gordon on Bones. Laurie and Fry made such a great team just laughed at a blooper with those two and Fry is playing Captain Melchett (Baaah!). 

Yeah the Brit actors aren't bad, Laurie I thought did very well, Idris Elba is another that received compliments.  In the other direction Zellweger and Paltrow do convincing "Brit" accents in that it doesn't seem like they're working at it, feels unobtrusive. Some actors should not even attempt the task - Keanu in Bram Stokers Dracula immediately springs to mind. Jesus that was painful.

KaveDweller. Good spot on the casting change. 

Robert Bella ‏@brooklynbella  10 hrs10 hours ago
Just wait till you see what's inside! #Castle #Season8

https://twitter.com/brooklynbella/status/618883259535982592

Edited by verdana
Of course. But even those C/B only fans - along with the rest - should at least learn some common courtesy on Twitter whether one agrees with her character or not. I swear, anonymity and sitting behind a screen has given the masses a dose of jackass that one would likely never do or say face to face. And yeah, it's all fandoms, not just Castle, but this actress getting slammed is just the latest to get shade before she even shows her face on screen.

Oh I agree with you 100% it's disgraceful and embarrassing to witness how some fans behave. Nathan was right when he responded to a fan's polite request and said good manners will take you far in life, pity more fans don't heed his wise words. Whatever your views on the direction of the show or your particular character preferences sending abusive, rude messages out to cast and crew is inexcusable. 

The actress has already given those fans angrily tweeting about her character a big hint it won't be as a romantic love interest so those agitating about that on twitter and tumblr need to calm down, she won't be "stealing" Rick away from Beckett. 

• Love 1

The accent was not my problem with that episode!

Well, one of the many problems with that episode!

I wish her all the best but she could have the acting qualities of Meryl Streep, it won't make any difference if she's taking up too much screen time at the obvious expense of the two leads. I've seen some fans react angrily towards others who admit they only watch the show for Castle and Beckett but I don't care you should be able to like what you like without feeling you need to make excuses for your choices.

Yep. If she takes the screen time away from, well, the two main characters on the show that's where there will be a problem. No issue with the actress at all. I used to watch the show for the show itself but that ended a while ago and Caskett is the reason why nowadays (I'm not talking happily ever after stuff either) - you would think no problem as they are the main characters on the show but even that is becoming difficult now.

I do think the first couple of episodes may be a little Stana-lite. She's just about to start shooting a new movie that has principal photography for a month and Castle starts up next week. I know there will be plans in place so that she can shoot both at the same time but I suspect she won't be doing all 8 days for at least the first episode of Season 8.

(edited)

From another Matt :

Question: I was very happy when ABC announced the renewal of my favorite show Castle in May, and I am looking forward to the Season 8 premiere in September. However, there have been quite a few changes behind the scenes. The show’s creator, Andrew W. Marlowe, left, and so did his wife Terri Edda Miller. We have several new additions to the writing staff as Dara Creasey and others pursue new challenges. Alexi Hawley (welcome back) and Terence Paul Winter are now replacing David Amann as co-showrunners. Also, Penny Johnson Jerald, who played Capt. Victoria Gates since Season 4, won’t be returning. At least not as a regular character. A decision that felt like a stab in the heart. How do you think all of these changes and factors will affect the DNA of the show? — Sandra

Matt Roush: These kind of staff, and even cast, changes are hardly unusual for a long-running show at this point in its life, and shaking up the work ensemble (adding The Neighbors' Toks Olagundoye as a former Scotland Yard sleuth) is probably the easiest way to introduce some new dynamics without affecting the core of what keeps people watching, the Castle-Beckett relationship. The new show-runners are old hands at breaking Castle stories, so applying the old don't-fix-what-ain't-broke philosophy, I wouldn't worry about the show's DNA changing too dramatically. But then, my experience has taught me that Castle fans are a noisy and worrisome lot, so I'm sure the producers are expecting plenty of scrutiny.

Re my bolded bit.  What a reputation to have! ;)  He's putting it more kindly than I would have.  No one wants to come out and say some fans are completely crazy and irrational.  I give props to the new cast member for calling out rude haters because I do think those people should be called out for their bad behaviour. Sometimes I think people spew all sorts of vitriol online because they're not made accountable for it or because they're actually clueless about how incredibly rude and slanderous they are being.  Unfortunately, I think the loud, crazy voices tend to drown out the sane, reasonable ones on the internet.  There can be a bit of herd mentality in fandom, there are a lot of gullible people as well, and there are just people who seem to relish an us vs them mentality and want to pitch actors and characters against each other all the time even when it's not a competition just because they have their favourites.  Also the reasonable ones can just get plain tired of "debating" with crazy people who are just intent on hating on a character/actor/story because it fits in with their prejudices regardless of anything that happens onscreen.  Hence, the constant, tiresome drama. I've come to accept that the loud crazies are always going to be part of any online fandom, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.  I'm grateful we can discuss and debate in peace here.

Place bets now that all these "fans" won't apologize to the girl when she turns out not to be a series regular.

Apologies are non existent to those "fans".

Her character was invented to keep the main couple apart.  She was really gutsy to take the part.

I don't think actors take into account fan reaction when they decide to take on a part or not.  If JJ offered someone a part tomorrow, I bet most actors would jump at it no matter what it was.  And getting on Alias was a springboard for Melissa George onto many other parts in her career.  Guesting on Castle has sprungboard actors onto leads on other ABC shows and I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened for this new actress, Toks.  Maybe she already has some kind of development deal with ABC and it's one reason why she was chosen.

Edited by madmaverick

It would tie in too with the idea that XY is more Castle focused, that way Stana could get a breather and have a little more time to spend on her other project before they start filming on the XX part. 

So it's a no to cheating, falling out of love (thanks heavens!), or work reasons.  I'd agree that Castle is a show written on tropes, and I remember a funny remark earlier that the Castle fandom has its own tropes too.  So true! ;)   I had hoped Castle would leave more tropes behind, but I guess it comes down to the execution in the end.

A quick google search actually revealed a whole website devoted to TV tropes (plus a fucknotvtropes tumblr heh), and perhaps those in the know can clue us in on whether whatever they have planned makes this very long list.  

This is just the love section but I imagine the trope could fall under other narrative sections too.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoveTropes

Just scrolling down the 'As' has me chuckling and exhausted heh.   Castle has already ticked off quick a few of those.  Others leave me going huh?

Couldn't resist clicking on the Oops I Forgot I Was Married Trope.  Nailed it. ;)  http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OopsIForgotIWasMarried

Sometimes when a writer is looking to stir things up, or prevent the inevitable progression of a relationship, or stop a wedding, we'll find out that oops, once upon a time our hero/ine had an Accidental Marriage, Arranged Marriage or Citizenship Marriage, possibly brought on by an Off The Wagon night. Which they then proceeded to forget about for years on end until their long-lost spouse comes looking for them wanting a divorce, or they want to marry their current SO. Occasionally they'll think the marriage was annulled or never really counted, or they'll foolishly trust their spouse to take care of doing away with the ill-advised nuptials. 

Couldn't resist clicking on the Oops I Forgot I Was Married Trope.  Nailed it. ;)  http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OopsIForgotIWasMarried

The funny thing about it is that it didn’t even serve the trope’s purpose, ie stir things up, halt progression of a relationship. The car wreck took care of that! It just served comedic purposes.

That falls under the reckless misuse of tropes. There is a penalty for that, somewhere…

• Love 3
(edited)
I've come to accept that the loud crazies are always going to be part of any online fandom, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.  I'm grateful we can discuss and debate in peace here.

I'm not on Twitter but I love tumblr and not only for keeping up-dated with Castle goings on, I find the block button and Tumblr Savior are great allies to avoid the crazy or plain downright nasty/irritating.

As for actors most at that level are simply relieved they've got a steady gig which pays the bills, it's only when they get higher up the pecking order things can change and they start getting fussy. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

One warning --- Do not click on TVTropes if you have less than eight hours free ! It is extremely addictive and the reason I went to bed at 3 am last night. (Adventures of Briscoe County Jr started it, then on the The Evil Overlord List which led to the AGENTS of Sheild training manual.)

• Love 1

Good point, sonik tooth, good point.  Gasp, Milmar didn't respect the process of a trope! ;)  I'm all for a penalty too.

I didn't look, but maybe car being run off the road and bursting into flames as cliffhanger is another trope.  

Is it also a trope when you want to do a fake out about a couple breaking up but omg it's a proposal instead?! 

femmefan, glad you enjoyed.   Maybe we could have a TV trope drinking game now that mythology mentions appear to be over for now.

Brutal fan response didn't stop Ben Affleck from taking the Batman gig.  If the actor really wants a job for whatever reason, nothing's going to get in their way.

Matt Roush ‏@TVGMMattRoush 
Matt Roush retweeted Linz
My work is done. Matt Roush added,

Linz @GhostLinz
@TVGMMattRoush
#Castle fans are "A noisy and worrisome lot"? That's the politest way of saying "batshit crazy" I've ever heard! Epic:D

Heh.

Although, it's a little disingenuous. These people have jobs because they post shit-stirring "spoilers" from TPTB, and then get maidenly when the odor rises. It's not an unforeseen consequence of stirring shit.

• Love 2

Although, it's a little disingenuous. These people have jobs because they post shit-stirring "spoilers" from TPTB, and then get maidenly when the odor rises. It's not an unforeseen consequence of stirring shit.

It's kind of chicken and egg though, no? TV Line, by its very existence, posts recaps and spoilers, one of those in Q&A format with Ausiello. The fans themselves ask/sometimes beg for info. So how can Ausiello really be blamed in totality? Sure, the info may suck, but it's also about supply and demand in the end. There is click bait, sure. But the overall spoilers are usually pretty much out there for human consumption - even if some don't like what they read or hear.

• Love 3

I don't really buy that. There's a genre of b-list clickbait TV sites which specialize in showrunners who like to screw with their audiences, and Ausiello is pretty much the trope namer. 

I don't really buy that. There's a genre of b-list clickbait TV sites which specialize in showrunners who like to screw with their audiences, and Ausiello is pretty much the trope namer. 

I don't doubt Ausiello gets off on attention, but he has been in the biz a hell of a long time. Before he established TV Line, I believe he worked for TV Guide or EW or one of those higher-profile mags. The way he may deliver scoops may annoy, but usually, like it or not, the scoops pan out. So I can't buy that he is out to victimize fanbases for shits and giggles.

And I hate defending the annoying factor, so UGH.

I don't doubt Ausiello gets off on attention, but he has been in the biz a hell of a long time. Before he established TV Line, I believe he worked for TV Guide or EW or one of those higher-profile mags. The way he may deliver scoops may annoy, but usually, like it or not, the scoops pan out. So I can't buy that he is out to victimize fanbases for shits and giggles.

And I hate defending the annoying factor, so UGH.

But if he's a professional, he knows how to deliver his material in a way which will either provoke controversy or inform. He's clearly chosen his path, and he's more or less set the standards for a niche which, let's say, is not in a position to be fastidious about crazy fanbases if they cash their paychecks.

Exactly. I've seen it elsewhere as of late. It's rather unprofessional tbh.

Any fan drama aside. Both sides are in the wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Good point, sonik tooth, good point.  Gasp, Milmar didn't respect the process of a trope! ;)  I'm all for a penalty too.

They quit the show. Maybe that was the penalty, LOL.

(edited)

Stana Katic Brasil ‏@BRStanaKatic  7 hrs7 hours ago

#Castle s07 bloopers (low quality): http://sarahbartowski.tumblr.com/post/123671309871/castle-season-7-bloopers-sorry-for-the-

Season 7 bloopers apparently but yeah really she's not kidding low quality (both visual and sound) but from what I can make it out they seem to consistent mainly of Jon and Seamus fooling around with the odd Nathan clip. 

Edited by verdana
Susan Sullivan ‏@realssullivan  11h11 hours ago

Want you to know how unique, talented and kind my fellow "Castle" actors are.....will sorely miss the beautiful Penny...Sir to you!

Class act. 

• Love 1