Type keyword(s) to search

Sony UN-pulls The Interview (2014)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Now in some 300 theaters (independent theaters only I think), XBox Video, and Google Play/YouTube for Pay ($5.99 "rental" for 48 hours access), or the film's own website.

http://www.seetheinterview.com/

No doubt it's already in hundreds or thousands of pirate sites as well--where it would have been even if they hadn't reversed that decision.

I seem to recall it was supposed to be on Starz, who seem to have chickened out and given up their rights.  Netflix apparently may be adding it soon though.

You're free to see it, but I wouldn't if I were you.  This is not a good movie.  An unfunny bro-comedy with too much toilet humor and picking at low hanging fruit, plus not enough Lizzy Caplan.  Plus, James Franco is by far the inferior of the two Francos.  This just makes me want to watch the far superior Neighbors again.

An unfunny bro-comedy with too much toilet humor and picking at low hanging fruit, plus not enough Lizzy Caplan.

I can't believe people were trying to pass it off as some sort of subversive political satire against the North Korean regime. Dude, really? The names James Franco and Seth Rogen weren't enough of a tip-off? 

The real unforgivable sin here that North Korea committed by making such a huge stink over the movie was inflating Rogen and Franco's sense of self-importance, like they weren't insufferable enough already. That said, I am perhaps perversely looking forward to Franco's book on this whole fiasco. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 4

I understand that people are lining up to see the movie for patriotic/first amendment reasons.

It can't be for comedic reasons, because the movie sure as hell ain't funny.**

**No, I haven't seen it.  But I have had the misfortune of sitting through other Seth Rogan "comedies". 

• Love 3

The data leak has opened Sony up to lawsuits from current and former employees. The SSNs being leaked out there is a big deal and the email leaks have been embarrassing and in a few cases problematic. The data breach is going to lead to a lawsuit. I just don't see a company setting themselves up for that just to avoid a flop. Every studio faces a few flops a year. Its just part of doing business.

The theory is that a disgruntled insider did the hack in order to damage the company.  Or perhaps it was a group doing it for lulz. Or maybe it was North Korea. Or maybe it was the Russians

This thing is getting scary beyond the problems related to the release of Sony's data. What if North Korea was sincere when they requested a joint investigation into the attack? Then they get slammed with a mysterious attack that cripples their internet. It would be reasonable for them to assume the the US was responsible for the attack, even if they have no proof. Will they limit their response to calling the President a "monkey"? 

Not knowing who's involved in all of these actions will make it a lot harder to deescalate. 

The real unforgivable sin here that North Korea committed by making such a huge stink over the movie was inflating Rogen and Franco's sense of self-importance, like they weren't insufferable enough already. That said, I am perhaps perversely looking forward to Franco's book on this whole fiasco.

Seriously! That was the most absurd part of this whole thing!

I can't believe people were trying to pass it off as some sort of subversive political satire against the North Korean regime. Dude, really? The names James Franco and Seth Rogen weren't enough of a tip-off? 

Those two seem to agree with you...

Honestly I knew it was going to be a stupid comedy just by looking at the trailer.  What astounded me was how much of a big deal people made about this movie on both sides.  North Korea/the hackers honestly should have just shrugged it off it would have just ended up like Team America World Police.

The opening montage was the best part, with all the mock celebrity interviews.  Especially loved the too brief moment of JGL and the puppies.  Speaking of puppies, the one at the end was just adorable.  It was the only part I was invested in.  I just kept saying aloud, "I don't care what happens, just save the puppy!"