Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Sing It!

• Start Topic

I agree about Christina Grimmie, and feel the same way about Kristen Merlin.  Both gave excellent performances in the blinds, and I was sorry not to see them featured in battles. 

I'm hoping they will make up for it in the upcoming second Battle round.

Hi, everyone.  I've been lurking at TWoP for around ten years.  I decided to change my lurking ways and start joining in to the discussions here.

Been watching The Voice since it started.

Agree that Cee-Lo has often given off some really yucky vibes.  He seems like those guys who corner you at a party and lean over you in a possessive and creepily threatening way.

Hi there fellow TWoPpers! I used to lurk The Voice thread on TWoP and loved how mature the discussion was there as compared to other sites. Well I'm enjoying the coaches this latest season, but not the talent as most seem bland.

Hi! I mostly lurked on TWoP for the past few years, but I'm glad to have this new site to keep up the conversations. I enjoy The Voice, though I wonder if I'm burning out on it a little or if the talent just hasn't been as strong this season. No one has really grabbed me yet. I'm ready for the "real" competition to begin so we can see some of these people doing solos, which will give me a better feel for them, I think.

All you TWoP lurkers inspired me to be active here too. =D

I started watching The Voice in season 3 because of Cassadee (I'm a fan of Hey Monday) and followed it since. Though I have to admit I stopped watching last season when it hit the lives.... So far, I'm enjoying this season. I'm liking Battle Rounds 2 better than I thought I would.

I too used to spend way too much time posting on TWoP.  Now I hope to do the same thing here.

I enjoy The Voice, though I wonder if I'm burning out on it a little or if the talent just hasn't been as strong this season.

I'm having the same response.  I don't think there are as many really good singers as we've seen in previous seasons.  Aside from the Grimmie girl, whose battle round performance wasn't even included in the show (though we had plenty of filler with people's families and whatnot), the only one whose voice has really impressed me so far is that guy with the hat who kinda looks like David Cross (Tobias from Arrested Development).  Sorry, too many names to keep track of this early in the show.  

He was "stolen."  I still think that term is pretty idiotic.  I mean, a person is eliminated and another coach adds that discarded person to their team.  How does this constitute a steal?  If I leave an old couch on the curb by my trash and someone takes it, would I say it was stolen?

• Love 1

There is a noticeable degradation of talent this season. The coaches still possess the charm and chemistry amongst themselves to keep the show entertaining, but without any superb talent to build upon such solid foundation I just don't see why I should invest in this season. I'm hoping somebody will wow me in the Playoffs, but I'm not expecting another Dream On, Roxanne, or Skyfall for this season.

TWoP'er here that is glad we found a refugee camp, and also glad that we now have topics instead of a million page thread.

Also I would like to add that they really should have never ended the Knockout Rounds.

Me too.  I think it was probably to eliminate some of the live shows so that the coaches could have a more workable schedule.  I'm sure it's a nightmare to figure out as it is.  Also, it gives them control over who goes to the live rounds, when before we voted and they had to pick from the bottom two.  The control freaky coaches (Adam) have got to love that.

I'm not sure of the rules around here yet, but I wonder if starting a thread for previous seasons is okay.  We had so much fun dishing about the past seasons over at TWoP, from Adam building a hat wearing douche army to CeeLo's pervy ways....

I'm not sure of the rules around here yet, but I wonder if starting a thread for previous seasons is okay.  We had so much fun dishing about the past seasons over at TWoP, from Adam building a hat wearing douche army to CeeLo's pervy ways....

Absolutely! We encourage multiple topics here; it's one of the perks of having forums for every show. :)

I'd just ask that you create a separate topic for each past season. It keeps the threads shorter and makes it easier for people to jump in and post.

Another TWoP refugee here.  I've started over with a new name and a resolve to make my posts either short(er), funny, or, in the TWoP tradition, snarky.  For now, I'm working on short.

photo fox, congrats on being a mod!  So glad to find a new meeting spot with mods who know what they're doing.  Now, if only this place would do recaps, I'd be all set.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

Absolutely! We encourage multiple topics here; it's one of the perks of having forums for every show. :)

I'd just ask that you create a separate topic for each past season. It keeps the threads shorter and makes it easier for people to jump in and post.

Thanks Photo Fox, and congrats on the gig....I think.  I used to mod for NBC and The Biggest Loser was one of my forums.  I still have nightmares.  We are a little more tame here and no one has sizable fat rolls to discuss on this show so you should be golden :)

• Love 2

Hey, y'all, just a gentle reminder that this topic should be for introductions and off-topic conversation, not the actual show. If you want to post something about The Voice, and you don't see a topic for it, start one! I know it's a little weird having all this space and freedom after coming over from The Land of One Giant Thread, so it takes some getting used to.

I went ahead and created topics for Gwen, Pharell, The Voice in the Media, and one covering discussion about the show's constantly changing format and rules. I moved some of the posts from here into those topics to get those conversations started.

Happy discussing!

I'm not a member but I've been reading its Voice forums the last couple of seasons. They are detective-like when it comes to trying to find out spoilers. And can be fairly combative at times. Other times mild. It's interesting to check out, but I've never felt compelled to post there. There are definitely more hardcore fans there.

Edited by Cramps

I'm not a member but I've been reading its Voice forums the last couple of seasons. They are detective-like when it comes to trying to find out spoilers. And can be fairly combative at times. Other times mild. It's interesting to check out, but I've never felt compelled to post there. There are definitely more hardcore fans there.

I'm asking because I was recently suspended for an entire week because I said Reagan's performance of Try was awful. And then when another poster referred to my post as "being so nasty mods had to delete it" I said I didn't see what was so nasty about it or why mods needed to delete it. Apparently they considered calling a contestant's performance bad as "flaming" and that I was "complaining" about mods deleting my post. After my suspension I'm leaving that pathetic excuse for a forum. It's not a forum at all- it's a place to kiss ass. And for the record, my comment about Reagan's performance wasn't even in the Reagan thread. It was in the Danielle Bradbery thread because Danielle had covered the same song and another poster had said "Not trying to sound mean but Reagan's performance will never be as good as Danielle's." I don't see the big deal about it if you're discussing it in another thread… That site is ridiculous, at least from what I've experienced in such a short amount of time there.

I'm a member. But I also happen to enjoy the contestants that a majority of the board enjoys. (I tend to like the females, power singers.) I've never had an issue like you are describing though. In fact, for the most part..I find them snarky and funny. (Especially during the Idol season/discussion thread. That's hilarious.) 

I'm asking because I was recently suspended for an entire week because I said Reagan's performance of Try was awful. And then when another poster referred to my post as "being so nasty mods had to delete it" I said I didn't see what was so nasty about it or why mods needed to delete it. Apparently they considered calling a contestant's performance bad as "flaming" and that I was "complaining" about mods deleting my post. After my suspension I'm leaving that pathetic excuse for a forum. It's not a forum at all- it's a place to kiss ass. And for the record, my comment about Reagan's performance wasn't even in the Reagan thread. It was in the Danielle Bradbery thread because Danielle had covered the same song and another poster had said "Not trying to sound mean but Reagan's performance will never be as good as Danielle's." I don't see the big deal about it if you're discussing it in another thread… That site is ridiculous, at least from what I've experienced in such a short amount of time there.

Yeah, the old TWoP forums were a lot like that. I once had my account banned permanently because I posted simply that I was growing tired of how much everyone called Andrea's character on "The Walking Dead" a total bitch no matter what she did, and it was starting to get gross and fairly sexist.  Boom, insta-ban, because of that absurd "boards on boards" rule the worst mods frequently abused.

That's what I like about PTV; it seems to be where the adults hang out to talk, both participants and moderators.  The one time I was called to account here by a mod, we had a civil and productive private message conversation and worked things out (I'd let myself get a bit tetchy in the "Utopia (US)" forums about Rob's politics), including the mod graciously undeleting my lengthy comment so I could keep it after editing out the few unnecessary political bits. 

I should name them, I suppose: GenL, you're a great mod, and thanks for doing your part to make PTV a great place to commiserate over our favorite- and least favorite- shows! :)

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I am just curious to know if anyone here is currently or has ever been a member of IdolForums.com, and what was  your experience like there?

I used to post a lot there a few seasons back, but it has gained the attention of some of the big time AI fan girls and it's become a zoo.  It's a shame to because there are some seriously cool people who post over there.  It started getting really bad when Holly Henry was dumped and I haven't really been back.

Yeah, the old TWoP forums were a lot like that. I once had my account banned permanently because I posted simply that I was growing tired of how much everyone called Andrea's character on "The Walking Dead" a total bitch no matter what she did, and it was starting to get gross and fairly sexist.  Boom, insta-ban, because of that absurd "boards on boards" rule the worst mods frequently abused.

you're a great mod, and thanks for doing your part to make PTV a great place to commiserate over our favorite- and least favorite- shows! :)

Oh, I just had an awful flashback. "Boards on boards", I'll never forget it. So pleasant and relaxing here, even if one inadvertently makes a mistake.

Also, some of those other places, like the AI board, are too much like fan clubs for my taste. Here, one can freely disagree with the majority view/taste (as I did about Reagan's performances--pretty much all of them were awful in my opinion, but I know others really loved her, including the coaches.) As long as its polite and not personal (and, I suppose, no infraction of the other TWOP bugaboo--"I don't understand why everyone..."), everything is quite pleasant and, yes, adult. Also no fan/non-fan "pile-ons". Many thanks to the mods for setting and keeping such a great tone; posters too. It makes such a difference.

• Love 2

Wasn't sure where this would go, but I have to say my favorite duet with a guest star has been the Swon Brothers with Bob Seger.  I thought it sounded good and the Swons were clearly elated I just couldn't help but feel happy for them.

My least favorite over all seasons was Sawyer and John Fogerty.  I never cared for JF or CCR, but hearing Sawyer's voice with JFs really wasn't a good pairing.  I felt that it underscored the depth of Sawyer's vocal deficiencies.

I was probably most surprised by how well the Koryn - Kelly Clarkson duet went.  I anticipated the pairing to highlight Koryn's shortcomings (not that she isn't very talented, but Kelly Clarkson kind of exists in a level that few singers can attain.  Similar to how almost everyone is going to look sad next to Christina A.), but the arrangement was such that they were complimentary voices as opposed to competing.  Wise choice.

I have a question and not sure what thread to go to.

A friend of my nephew was invited out to Chicago to audition for the Blinds. Apparently it didn't go well but she and a few others were invited back to re audition because apparently there were a lot of technical issues during the original audition. Now my nephew and sister haven't heard anything after that. Is it possible she made it to the blinds but is contracted not to say anything yet?