Type keyword(s) to search

TCM: The Greatest Movie Channel

mariah23
  • Start Topic

I love  Teresa Wright; she was superb in this and Shadow of a Doubt and a few other notable movies of that period and I have always wondered why she didn't have a bigger career.

Her career certainly started out strong enough, 3 Oscar nominations for her first 3 movie roles (the second one was also a win). I guess rebelling against the studio system back then could and would affect a career. 

But still, what did she have against cocker spaniels?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I've not read a full-length bio of Teresa Wright, but it seems to me that she did have at last a moderately big career in movies -- 3 big ones that are still remembered, after all, along with others. Her contactual arrangement to allow her time for stage work (which was equally important to her) sounds similar to Margaret Sullavan's. And as in that case, it understandably meant that some of the prize roles went to others, who were on hand year-round. She did work onstage a lot, and in early TV, and those of course don't leave artifacts for us to watch now.  

She had a public falling-out with Samuel Goldwyn, which was the ostensible cause of the ending of her contract. She made a public statement, which I quote because it has an interesting aftermath.

I would like to say that I never refused to perform the services required of me; I was unable to perform them because of ill health. I accept Mr. Goldwyn's termination of my contract without protest—in fact, with relief. The types of contracts standardized in the motion picture industry between players and producers are archaic in form and absurd in concept. I am determined never to set my name to another one ... I have worked for Mr. Goldwyn seven years because I consider him a great producer, and he has paid me well, but in the future I shall gladly work for less if by doing so I can retain my hold upon the common decencies without which the most glorified job becomes intolerable.

But then in later years, she looked back with this wry comment:

I was going to be Joan of Arc, and all I proved was that I was an actress who would work for less money.

Of course in the 1950s, the whole contract system was falling apart even if those involved didn't always understand just what was different, and it was increasingly up to the actors to sustain and build their own careers.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

That second quote from Wright is so funny. In one way I'm not surprised because she emanated intelligence in her acting, but I wouldn't have necessarily expected an epigram that might be one of the top 10 to come out of Hollywood.

• Like 2

Thanks for the background on Teresa Wright.  I guess I should have able to research her on my own and find the explanation of what happened to her career.  She did continue to work in movies, stage and TV, but I will always be disappointed that she didn't have important roles in important movies as she started with. After The Best Years of Our Lives she was in only one other movie I am familiar with.  I hope she was satisfied with her career.

• Like 2
(edited)

So sad that SUTS is over!  I've been jolted into a new reality with these non theme days.

Here are some costume comments:

I covet the bathrobe worn by Ginger Rogers in Weekend at the Waldorf.  I always admire the '40s bathrobes (and I've even sewed some using vintage patterns and thrifted chenille bedspreads or other fabrics--it's really fun to wear those swirly skirts), but that one is particularly fine and beautifully tailored.  It's one of the nicest I've ever seen.  (I also love the chenille bathrobe worn by Katharine Hepburn in Holiday, when she tells her father and sister that she wants to plan the engagement party.)

Grace Kelly's suit in Fourteen Hours is also amazing. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
On 8/31/2024 at 3:02 PM, Palimelon said:

Her career certainly started out strong enough, 3 Oscar nominations for her first 3 movie roles (the second one was also a win). I guess rebelling against the studio system back then could and would affect a career. 

I have the same question. I'd understand something more general like no cute animals or no dogs but no cocker spaniels seems oddly specific. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
42 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

Speaking of Samuel Goldwyn I didn't know his grandson was the actor Tony Goldwyn(Ghost, Scandal) until I saw this tweet during his appearance at the DNC a few weeks ago:

There’s a lot of actors who are descended from Hollywood royalty.  For example, the guy who plays Rip on Yellowstone is the great-grandson of Harry Warner.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 8/31/2024 at 3:02 PM, Palimelon said:

3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I have the same question. I'd understand something more general like no cute animals or no dogs but no cocker spaniels seems oddly specific. 

Cocker spaniels were immensely popular in the 1940s, well into the '50s. Perhaps she just named the breed because chances are if a movie star was to do a photo shoot with a dog at the time -- particularly if it was one of those "Teresa Wright at home" pieces -- odds are that dog would be a Cocker. 

Cockers were still popular in 1952, when Richard Nixon made the famous Checkers speech about a Cocker Spaniel that had been gifted to his family. 

Just a thought.

https://www.ranker.com/list/most-popular-dog-breeds-by-decade/mariel-loveland  

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
  • Like 3

Pour one out for Moondoggie.

When Michael Callan passed away, I lauded him as The Choice She Should’ve Made in Gidget Goes Hawaiian.

But just now, watching James croon the title tune to Deborah Walley, I concede that there’s something about those dark, moody guys.

He also sang in Guns of Navarone, and you totally believed that that character would choose to sing in that moment, the approaching Nazis notwithstanding.

RIP, Jimmy.

• Like 10
(edited)

Darren was in another movie set in Hawaii, Diamond Head(1962) with Charlton Heston, Yvette Mimieux, France Nuyen and George Chakiris and sang the title song. Wouldn't be allowed now but back then you could get away with having Polynesians played by actors like Darren and Chakiris!

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Like 2

Tonight I finally watched Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words. What a wonderful documentary! So much home footage of Bergman, and I loved hearing the reminisces of all her children, who seem to adore her despite her being a very absent mother. Bergman's beauty, charisma, and charm shine through -- she is one of those people who just seems to GLOW all the time.

I am struck by how her four children look very different, but all have a striking resemblance to their mother in different ways. Isabella's eyes are like her mother's, Ingrid has her mother's facial structure, Pia has the same blond Scandinavian look and her mother's nose.

image.png.8fddad6e9bd82563f7d828b447a1f901.png

• Like 2

So many moments & performances worth remembering…yet for some reason, the first thing that pinged was Roots: The Next Generation.  James was Alex Haley, laughing and weeping in his “Eureka!” moment: 

“You old African!  I found you!!  Kunta Kinte!  I found you! I found you!!”

Just watched it again.  Still weeping.

Flights of angels.  You were so many things to so many people.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was re-watching 'The Leopard Man' (1943) this morning, and had to laugh at one scene.  Was this an early example of an 'influencer'?

(A dancer--who likes to be brash and show off a little--from a local club tries to steal a flower from a flower stall)

Clo-Clo: 'You can't sell it. It's a day old.

Shopkeeper: 'But my stomach is not a day old. If I don't sell flowers, I don't eat.'

Clo-Clo: 'I'll tell everyone you gave it to me. It'll be good for your business.'

Edited by BooksRule
typo
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
Just now, BooksRule said:

I was re-watching 'The Leopard Man' (1943) this morning, and had to laugh at one scene.  Was this an early example of an 'influencer'?

(A dancer--who likes to be brash and show off a little--from a local club tries to steal a flower from a flower stall)

Clo-Clo: 'You can't sell it. It's a day old.

Shopkeeper: 'But my stomach is not a day old. If I don't sell flowers, I don't eat.'

Clo-Clo: 'I'll tell everyone you gave it to me. It'll be good for your business.'

Ha! Good point!

I love Val Lewton, though I confess I found The Leopard Man underwhelming. Maybe I should give it another chance.

1 minute ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I love Val Lewton, though I confess I found The Leopard Man underwhelming. Maybe I should give it another chance.

It was okay.  I mainly re-watched it to see if I would like it any better than the first time I saw it.  I was one of the people who originally thought it would be a 'creature feature', and was a little disappointed when it ended up just being a murder mystery.  (And from what I've read, a lot of people went to see it when it was released thinking the same thing.)