Type keyword(s) to search

Maggie: The Only Person Living in Reality

• Start Topic

Here is your thread for all things Maggie Greene.

If anyone has a better idea for a topic title, by all means, let me know.

The quote comes from this scenario from season 3 I think. Glenn tells Maggie that Hershel will be fine even though he's lost his leg. Maggie is more realistic and knows that if her father survives the bite, the real world might kill him.

Maggie replies to Glenn: Am I the only person living in reality here?

• Love 5

Thanks, HalcyonDays!

Here's Maggie's dialogue (along with others, provided for context) from No Sanctuary (written by Scott Gimple):

(Voice over)
Daryl: “Black car, with a white cross painted on it. I tried to follow it. I tried.”
Maggie: “So she’s alive?”
Daryl: “She’s alive.”

Carl: “Hey, my dad’s going to be back. They all are.”
Maggie: “They are. And we need to get ready to fight our way out with ‘em when they do.”

Sasha: “What’s the cure, Eugene?
Eugene: “It’s classified.”
Michonne: “We don’t know what’s going to happen.”
Abraham: “You leave him be.”
Maggie: “We need to keep working.”

Eugene: “Even if I told you all, even if I provided step-by-step instructions complete with illustrations and a well-composed FAQ and I went red-ring, the cure would still die with me.”
Abraham: “I'm not gonna let that happen.”
Eugene: “The best-case scenario, we step out in a hellstorm of bullets, fire, and walkers. I'm not fleet of foot. I sure as hell can't take a dead one down with sharp buttons and hella confidence.
Michonne: “Yeah, but we can and we will.”
Sasha: “You don’t owe us anything. Not yet. But we just want to hear it.”
Rosita: “You don’t have to.”
Eugene: “I was part of a ten-person team at the Human Genome Project to weaponize diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made, information shared. I am keenly aware of the all details behind fail-safe delivery systems to kill every living person on this planet. I believe with a little tweaking on the terminals in D.C., we can flip the script. Take out every last dead one of them. Fire with fire. All things being equal, it does sound pretty badass.”
Maggie: “So let’s get back to work.”

Rick: “Go along the fences, use the rifles, take out the rest of them.”
Bob: “What?”
Rick: “They don't get to live."
Glenn: “Rick, we got out. It’s over.”
Rick: “It’s not over, till they’re all dead.”
Rosita: “The hell it isn’t, that place is on fire. Full of walkers.”
Abraham: “I’m not dicking around with this crap. We just made it out.”
Maggie: “The fences are down. They’ll run or die.”

I counted 40 words.

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 2

Here's Maggie's dialogue from Strangers (written by Robert Kirkman):

(The group has stopped for the day. Glenn walks up to Maggie and puts something down; if he says anything, it’s indecipherable.)
Maggie: “Not so fast.”

Tara: “You know, I didn’t want to mention anything when we looked this place up in the phonebook, but I can’t imagine a gun store having leftovers nowadays.”
Maggie: “Doesn’t look good, does it?”
(Noise from inside store. Glenn exits.)
Tara: “Was it a walker?”
Glenn: “Uh, yeah. It’s, uh, it’s a walker.”
Maggie: “Really?”
Glenn: “A stack of boxes and a mop. I tripped.” (Maggie & Tara laugh) “I still got what we came for.”
Tara: “You actually found something?”
Glenn: “Three silencers stashed in a mini-fridge. Rule one of scavenging: there’s nothing left in this world that isn’t hidden.”

Maggie: “You okay?”
Tara: “Yeah, yeah. I was at the prison, with the Governor. I didn’t know who he was or what he could do.  And I didn’t know who all of you were. I just didn’t want it to be hidden, that I was there.”
Maggie: “You’re here with us now.”

I counted 16 words.

• Love 2

Here's Maggie's dialogue from Four Walls and A Roof (written by Angela Kang & Corey Reed):

(The group runs out to find Bob on the grass in front of the church)
Maggie: “Oh....his leg.”

Rick: “Does he have a fever?”
Maggie: “He’s just warm.”
Glenn: “Jim lasted almost two days before we left him.”

(After the fuss over the bus)
Glenn: (To Rick) “It’s not your call.” (To Abraham) “You stay, help us.”
Abraham: “Half a day. Come high noon, we’re tail lights. No waiting for the other damned shoe to drop.”
Maggie: “And we will leave with you.”
Abraham: “Twelve hours. Then we go.”

(After the Termites are terminated)

Gabriel: “This is the Lord’s House.”
Maggie: “No, it’s just four walls and a roof.”

Maggie: (To Bob) “You’ll always be with us, part of us.”

Abraham: “This is our route to D.C. We’ll stick to it as long as we’re able. If not, you got our destination. Once Eugene gets to the big brains left up there, things are gonna bounce back. This group should be there for it. You should be there for it.”

Maggie: “They will be.”
Michonne: “We will.”
Rick: “We will.”

I counted 31 words.

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 2

Here's Maggie's dialogue from Self Help (written by Heather Bellson & Seth Hoffman):

(On the bus)

Maggie: “Maybe they’re just behind us. Maybe Daryl and Carol came back. Maybe they took the map, found some cars, and are just down the road.”
Glenn: “They’ll catch up. We’re clearing the way for them.”
Maggie: (To Eugene) “How long will it be?  After you get on that terminal and do what you have to do.”

Maggie: (To Eugene) “No one was making fun.” (Of his hair; although not on camera, this sounds like Maggie and Eugene is looking in her direction when he responds.)

(After the bus crash)

Maggie: “First aid kit’s in the bus. I’ll see what we have.”

(Bus bursts into flame)

Abraham: “This is how things stop. I can’t afford that right now, the world can’t afford it. Listen, I took a pretty hard shot to the sack with that crash. I am stressed and depressed to see that ride die. But if you say we’re rolling on, I’m good.”
Glenn: “We’re rolling on.”
Abraham: “I’m a rub some dirt on it and walk it off.”
Rosita: “Find what we need like we always have.”
Maggie: “‘Kay. (Pause) I’m not rubbing dirt on anything.”

(In the book store)

Glenn: “You thinking about them?”
Maggie: “Yeah, I feel guilty.”
Glenn: “Why? Hey, we get to have little vacations on book store floors.”
Maggie: “We’re not back there anymore. We’re living for something else.  And they don’t get to right now.”
Glenn: “Well, we did almost die today. And we don’t have a car. And we’re drinking toilet water.”
Maggie: “It just feels really good having this. Because it’s not about what was. Not last night. It’s all about what’s gonna be.”
Glenn: “Don’t feel guilty about that.”

(The next day)
Maggie: “This town isn’t in bad shape. This store wasn’t even touched. Could make a good base here. Spend one last day doing a sweep for supplies...”
Rosita: “We’ll sweep as we go. We’ve done it since Houston, we’re not stopping now.”

(On the road, after the bus has broken down)

Maggie: "I know why you have the haircut."
Eugene: "I told you it's ‘cause I like it."
Maggie: "I believe that. I like it too. I think you like it for a reason. You're not the person people think you are. You want them to know who you are."
Eugene: "Not following you."
Maggie: "If you didn't have that mullet, you'd probably be like everybody else in the lab. But you're not like everybody else. I think a lot of people in your position would have given up. But you didn't."
Eugene: "There were people, lot of them along the way that made sure I didn't give up. It wasn't me remotely."
Maggie: "It was. You started this thing. And you're not like Samson. He was kind of a mess."
Eugene: "Not following you."
Maggie: "Well, his story goes, that one day when a lion attacked him, God gave him strength and he tore it apart.  And he goes back one day, he's by himself, and he sees that bees have made a hive in the carcass. So later he tells this riddle to people...out of the eater, something to eat, out of the strong, something sweet. And I always thought, how the hell are people supposed to know, when it's just about his own life, when the only place the answer is,  is in his head."
Glenn: "Whoa, what the hell is that?"
Maggie: "What?"
Glenn: "Wind's picking up, you're about to smell it."

(After they take a walk down the road to see the herd and Glenn starts to turn back)

Abraham: "Hold up."
Maggie: "We gotta go."
Abraham: "No. No we don't. They can't hear us and they can't see us. Not from here. We're fine."
Tara: "Yeah, this is the definition of ‘fine.'"
Glenn: "We need the map. There's gotta be a detour."
Abraham: "Not doing it. We detoured and detoured and detoured, from Houston to Georgia, not playing that game anymore."
Glenn: "You're not going through this. Okay? It isn't gonna happen."
Abraham: "You got a shitstorm behind door A and a storm of shit behind door B. If you're lucky, it's walkers, or a shot-up truck, but sooner or later, you get cornered. You wind up staying and you wind up killing. We don't go back. We can't go back."
Glenn: "I'm, I'm not talking about going back, just south a few miles..."
Abraham: "No."
Eugene: "We already hit a full-stop because of an air filter compromise caused by innards. It will happen again."
Abraham: "Then we'll hit ‘em with the hose."
Rosita: "The tank is empty, Abraham."
Abraham: "We floor it..."
Glenn: "We still hit them, they still slow us down, and then they stop us."
Abraham: "I'm not saying we just go straight..."
Maggie: "That's the way the road goes."
Rosita: "Abraham..."
Abraham: "We can get through! I know it! And that means we are not going south, going around, or going back."
Rosita: "No. They're right."

I counted 330 words. (Updated 12-08-14 5:53 PM)

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 1

Here's Maggie's dialogue for Crossed (written by Seth Hoffman):

Tara: (To Maggie, referring to Eugene.) “Anything?”
Maggie: “No.”
Glenn: “Should we get him to the church?”
Maggie: “Moving him could make him worse.”
Tara: “What’ll make him better?”
Maggie: “Waking up. If he doesn’t...”

Maggie: (To Abraham) “Sit down or I’ll put you down.”

Glenn: "We need more water."
Rosita: "There's a creek, up the road, a few miles southwest of here."
Maggie: "Y'all go, I'll stay here."
Glenn: "You're sure?"
Maggie: "I am."
Rosita: "Okay."

Maggie: (To Abraham) "Get over yourself. You're not the only one who lost something today. It's never going to get better than this."

Maggie: (To Abraham) "You're thirsty. Don't say you're not. (Pause) Did you want me to shoot you?"
Abraham: "I thought I did, but I didn't."

Maggie: (To Eugene) "I'm coming. Stay right there, don't try to move, you're going to be okay."

I counted 73 words.

• Love 1

Here is your thread for all things Maggie Greene.

The quote comes from this scenario from season 3 I think. Glenn tells Maggie that Hershel will be fine even though he's lost his leg. Maggie is more realistic and knows that if her father survives the bite, the real world might kill him.

Maggie replies to Glenn: Am I the only person living in reality here?

The title of Beth's thread was prophetic: "You're going to miss me when I'm gone..." I speculate that soon Maggie will not be "Living in Reality." I think Beth's death will break her.

• Love 1

Using this as a placeholder (I hope that's okay); I've got to get back to the real world to do stuff and thangs...

(5:45 PM) Finally, here's Maggie's dialogue from Coda (written by Angela Kang):

(Outside the church)

Michonne: “Where did you go?”
Gabriel: “The school. I had to see. I had to know.”
(Walkers are making a fuss at the church doors. Gabriel and Michonne back away, as Carl draws his gun.)
Carl: “Where do we go?”
(Abraham arrives just in time, using the fire truck to block the church doors. Abraham, Maggie, and Glenn get out. Maggie and Michonne hug.)
Maggie: “You okay?” 
Michonne: “Yeah.” (To Glenn) “You’re back.”
Glenn: “Eugene lied. He can’t stop it. Washington isn’t the end.” (Pause) “Where is everybody?”
Michonne: (To Maggie) “Beth’s alive. She’s in a hospital, in Atlanta. People have her. The others went to get her back.”
Maggie: “Ah...do we know which one?”
Michonne: “Grady Memorial.”
Maggie: “Oh, my God.” (Overcome with emotion, she embraces Glenn)
Tara: “Let’s blow this joint. Go save your sister.”

I counted 9 words. TOTAL words over the six episodes she appeared in: 499 (Updated 12-08-14 5:55 PM)

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 2

Using this as a placeholder for Maggie's dialogue from Coda (I hope that's okay); I've got to get back to the real world to do stuff and thangs...

Thank you for all the time it must have taken! Saved the rest of us from individually trying to sort it out. (that would not have ever succeeded! :-D) Take your time, we'll be lucky to have someone who is doing this for us.

The title of Beth's thread was prophetic: "You're going to miss me when I'm gone..." I speculate that soon Maggie will not be "Living in Reality." I think Beth's death will break her.

Do you have a pre-emptive first strike title for when she pops her cork?

• Love 1

The only alternatives I can think of are, which isn't to say that they're better, are

Maggie: Beth? Who?

Maggie: Not a KISS fan

Maggie: You're telling me I have a sister?

• Love 2

Thank you for all the time it must have taken! Saved the rest of us from individually trying to sort it out. (that would not have ever succeeded! :-D) Take your time, we'll be lucky to have someone who is doing this for us.

I have to admit, I was curious to see how much dialogue Maggie had, and what logical opportunities she had to have mentioned Beth. My conclusion after transcribing all of this is that her only real opportunity was in Self Help, when she was a regular little chatterbox, comparatively speaking. I'm a writer myself, and the only revision that would have worked for me was this:

(In the book store, original version)

Glenn: “You thinking about them?”

Maggie: “Yeah, I feel guilty.”

Had Glenn asked, "You thinking about Beth?"

Maggie could have said "Yeah, Beth...and the others. I feel guilty--"

Simple, quick, painless. Although I doubt that would have satisfied everyone. (Personally, I was satisfied by the voice-over reference in No Sanctuary and my willingness to accept that all kinds of things happen and are said off camera, and we simply CAN'T witness everything.)

Anyway, that's just my take on that...

(I do have additional dialogue from other characters which I'll try to post in the relevant threads as time allows.)

Edited by Raven1707
  • Love 2

TOTAL words over the six episodes she appeared in: 499 (Updated 12-08-14 5:55 PM)

...of which, 2/3 (66%) were in a single episode ("Self Help").

Which means over the other 5 episodes, Maggie was averaging 33-34 words per episode.

Which is about the equivalent of a single meal order over the speaker at Sonic.

• Love 4

Well I'm pissed off because one of the few interesting things that happened this season (after the first three episodes) was how Maggie and Sasha and Bob bonded. I really liked the bit with Sasha standing her ground over her opinion that staying in one place was best, finding that empty building...and then breaking down with her loneliness. When she and Maggie reunite, and then they come up to Bob again? I thought it was great. Then:

Maggie hasn't had shit to do with Sasha since. I know she comforted Bob ( with the awkward "you'll always be a part of us" line right after he was partially eaten by cannibals.) Yes, I realize she left at one point with Glenn and the Red Adair smokejumpers. But you find enough time when you have become so close to other people---it was like Maggie's first Best Friend since the show began...but she gloms onto Tara and it was like "oh well I have found Glenn again so I unfriend you, Sasha who?, see ya around".

Maggie can sure drop people fast.

• Love 4

Even though I can't stand FPP, I liked Maggie helping him and Sasha. She is her father's daughter. Remember when Hershel wanted to turn out CDB, and Maggie quoted "...love one another as I have loved you."

ETA: I do think FPP needs a serious talking to, however.

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 4

I've said before that I think that Brits in general do a better job at Southern accents than Americans.  Lennie James's accent is impeccable, in my opinion.  The exception has always been Lauren Cohan.  Well, interestingly enough, Lauren was born and raised in the U.S. until she was thirteen.  She's the most American out of the Brits, but has (by far) the worst Southern accent.  I wonder if the show runners have instructed her to just stick with it for consistency.  The amount of time she spent around native-Georgian Scott Wilson should have rubbed off a little.  And with all the flack she's gotten, I think most would attempt to improve.  Some think that even Andrew Lincoln has changed the way he says "Coral".

• Love 1

I've said before that I think that Brits in general do a better job at Southern accents than Americans.  Lennie James's accent is impeccable, in my opinion.  The exception has always been Lauren Cohan.  Well, interestingly enough, Lauren was born and raised in the U.S. until she was thirteen.  She's the most American out of the Brits, but has (by far) the worst Southern accent. 

Well... most of Lauren's American growing-up years were spent in New Jersey, so maybe we should just be thanking our lucky stars she doesn't sound like Snooki - or even more so, Snooki trying to do a Southern accent. :>

• Love 2

I never liked Maggie from the start and I can't believe she's now the leader at Hilltop.  Also, I still remember that if they hadn't had to drag her pregnant ass through the woods to get medical attention, they might have avoided being caught by Negan & crew.

• Love 3
On 10/10/2018 at 8:08 AM, Ohwell said:

Also, I still remember that if they hadn't had to drag her pregnant ass through the woods to get medical attention, they might have avoided being caught by Negan & crew.

So what? Negan would've gotten them some other way. As we've seen, Alexandria isn't exactly an impregnable fortress, the Saviors far outnumbered them, plus there are other reasons they have to venture outside the walls - reasons occurring much more frequently than one woman's pregnancy difficulties. They have to scout. They have to gather supplies. It just so happened that when Negan got them, Maggie's pregnancy was the reason why they were out. There's no point in blaming Maggie for that. You might as well blame Rick for insisting on wiping out that Saviors outpost, although I don't do that either because it's clear from the way Negan operated that he was always going to get around to Alexandria eventually, once he found out about them. Them wiping out the Saviors outpost just happened to be the way he found out.

• Love 3
On 26/10/2018 at 6:01 AM, Black Knight said:

So what? Negan would've gotten them some other way.

Absolutely, they weren’t caught by accident, how did Negan know when they were leaving? How did he know where they were going?

Simon was stood in the middle of the road with a guy they had just beaten up, they were waiting for the RV, how did they know? Negan was obviously aware of who they were already, he could have come knocking at any time. There was speculation at the time that Enid was working for The Saviours and had poisoned Maggie, which is why all the roadblocks were set up.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Absolutely, they weren’t caught by accident, how did Negan know when they were leaving? How did he know where they were going?

Simon was stood in the middle of the road with a guy they had just beaten up, they were waiting for the RV, how did they know? Negan was obviously aware of who they were already, he could have come knocking at any time. There was speculation at the time that Enid was working for The Saviours and had poisoned Maggie, which is why all the roadblocks were set up.

Yes, there was speculation about Enid. Initially, it was about her and the Wolves. Then peeps, including me were speculating she was in Negan's clan. Something was off about Enid, she was sneaking out, and snooping around. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

I was just talking to someone the other day about how they completely dropped Enid's mysterious background. Also, did they ever resolve the Wolves thing? Were they all killed in that episode? 

As I remember, some of them did escape into the woods, Owen did redeem himself by saving Denise even after being shot by Carol, but they were such a pathetic bunch that the show soon forgot them. That’s after a huge build up, letting us think that the Wolves were the baddest thing since Hannibal crossing the Alps with his elephants! 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

Simon was stood in the middle of the road with a guy they had just beaten up, they were waiting for the RV, how did they know? Negan was obviously aware of who they were already, he could have come knocking at any time.

Not only did they somehow know that Maggie was pregnant but that her pregnancy was in jeopardy, and that the entire gang from Alexandria was going to to pile into the RV to escort preggo Maggie to a doctor (with the exceptions of Father Peepee and Spencer who were left to guard Alexandria!), but they knew so far in advance where the RV was going and when, they had time to scrounge up a ton of fuel to get heavy equipment into the forest to cut down and drag all all those huge trees to block the road, position themselves on the roadblock trees and rehearse the synchronized whistling. Seems like an insane waste of resources and manpower. Seems insane, period. I guess it was fine in a comic book though.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Not only did they devine that Maggie's pregnancy was in jeoprady, but that the entire gang from Alexandria were going to have to pile into the RV to escort preggo Maggie to a doctor (with the exceptions of Father Peepee and Spencer who were left to guard Alexandria!), but they knew so far in advance where the RV was going and when, they had time to scrounge up a ton of fuel to get heavy equipment into the forest to cut down and drag all all those huge trees to block the road, position themselves on the roadblock trees and rehearse the synchronized whistling. Seems like an insane waste of resources and manpower. Seems insane, period. I guess it was fine in a comic book though.

Negan didn’t have to “divine“ anything; he already had the resources to cover everything:

• Manpower to circle Alexandria with watchposts, to know every time CDB and/or the ASZhats stepped foot outside their walls.
  • Manpower to have already felled in advance timber at points along ALL possible routes between Alexandria and Hilltop, to be pulled across the road when needed.
  • Manpower to maintain groups of Saviors at every one of these points.
  • Radio communications to alert the Saviors whenever CDB left, and the route they were taking.
  • Radio communications to alert Savior teams on the proper route(s), to let them know how and when to act.

Etc., etc.

As has been stated in previous discussions, the entire scenario illustrated what was (at the time) the most significant difference between Rick and Negan - the difference between a tactician and a strategist.  Rick would get into a situation, evaluate what was available on-hand, and decide how to use it to maximize potential for immediate success - because that is what a good tactician does.  Negan would come at the problem from the other side, though - anticipate the situation before it happened, decide in advance what resources would be needed, and coordinate their availability to maximize potential for overall success - because that is what a good strategist does.

It is said tacticians can win battles, but strategists win wars - and this is EXACTLY what we saw demonstrated in CDB’s first actual encounter with Negan Prime*.  Every move Rick might make had already been countered by Negan, before Rick even made the move.  CDB was defeated the moment they set foot outside the ASZ gate - they just didn’t realize it yet.

* To distinguish the actual Negan individual from his followers who incessantly recite their “We Are Negan!” mantra.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 4