Type keyword(s) to search

Approach The Bench: Law & Order General Discussion Thread

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Omg Prince of Darkness was so good. So so so good!!!! Freaking awesome!!!

All the twists and turns, the quippy random lawyers and judges. So exciting, so much fun and so sinister.

ETA: Ben Stone is awesome too!!!

Yes he is!! He’s my favorite Executive ADA because of his moral compass and adherence to the law. I love Jack too, but he was and did skate the line and sometimes he just wanted to win.

And now you know why I got so 🤬🤬🤬 how Arrow portrayed the DAs and court. Especially since I think Guggenheim was a writer for this show in the later seasons!😆😆

• Love 3

I have a mad mad mad crush on Ben Stone!!!

I'd never seen him prior to this reboot. Jack was my introduction to the Mothership and was the face of Law and Order for me.

But Ben is wonderful!!!!! So intent on doing the right thing. I think watching him has made me enjoy the Mothership even more!!!!! They rarely bleat on about the characters but the personalities are so distinct. I love the difference between Ben and Jack.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

I have a mad mad mad crush on Ben Stone!!!

I'd never seen him prior to this reboot. Jack was my introduction to the Mothership and was the face of Law and Order for me.

But Ben is wonderful!!!!! So intent on doing the right thing. I think watching him has made me enjoy the Mothership even more!!!!! They rarely bleat on about the characters but the personalities are so distinct. I love the difference between Ben and Jack.

I love both Ben and Jack, they are equally great IMO, and I love how they have very different personalities, with Ben being extremely formal, business like, by the book and stoic, while Jack is extremely passionate and more of a maverick type who likes to find new ways to prosecute people and is willing to take more risks. They are both awesome characters, Jack is definitely the face of the franchise and has now become the longest running character, but Ben was great as well and his episodes are just as good as the rest of L&O.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I love both Ben and Jack, they are equally great IMO, and I love how they have very different personalities, with Ben being extremely formal, business like, by the book and stoic,

Yeah, but even Ben got his moment of passionate indignation in "Indifference". I think it was the closest we saw of his emotions coming to the surface. His disgust for the Lowensteins was a sight to behold because, as you said, Ben was usually very buttoned up versus Jack's more passionate nature as a whole.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, but even Ben got his moment of passionate indignation in "Indifference". I think it was the closest we saw of his emotions coming to the surface. His disgust for the Lowensteins was a sight to behold because, as you said, Ben was usually very buttoned up versus Jack's more passionate nature as a whole.

Yes that was the most visibly angry Ben ever got, he was rightfully appalled by the Lowensteins. Ben had just as much of a passion for justice as Jack IMO, he just went about it in a different way and had a different personality. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Been trying to watch and like the reboot.  I just cannot with Sam Waterson.  His character is such a rule bound, non-empathetic, self righteous POS.  First I found it hard to like the police, but they started to grow on me with character development.  Didn't take to the DA's office staff.  Still don't. Nolan Price is a $tore knock off of Jack McCoy.  And ADA Maroun just (to the date of the episodes I have been able to watch through) hasn't made much of an impression.  Maybe TPTB thought they were getting star power with bringing McCoy back from whatever dead file closet they had him in but they failed.  Lt. Dixon (Manheim) is who I'm watching for.  With the crossovers to SVU she has proven a rounded character.  McCoy, Maroun and Price are the Flat Stanleys of the L&O franchise

Edited by kb3
  • LOL 2

here's a question based off a reddit thread about stuckey in svu 

who were the least interesting  or effective villians, like perps you didn't like not just because of what they did but they were really wrong for the show and felt out of place or something was missing and it just dragged the episode down

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, balmz said:

who were the least interesting  or effective villians, like perps you didn't like not just because of what they did but they were really wrong for the show and felt out of place or something was missing and it just dragged the episode down

Jamie Ross's ex husband defense attorney storyline felt like a different show 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, balmz said:

I really wish the show had done more with the serial killer from season 4’s Mayhem who wasn’t caught then but the storyline was brought back in season 10’s SVU crossover Entitled - they caught him there only for the story to barely focus on him and focus instead on the cliched Mulroney family. We don’t even know if the serial killer was convicted or what his fate was. Terrible missed opportunity - it was a great idea to bring him back but the resolution was beyond underwhelming, I can’t even remember the killer’s name off the top of my head. I wish the Entitled crossover had been focused on catching the serial killer instead of on the Mulroneys.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone here has Peacock and watches S13-20 of the Mothership (and/or Criminal Intent) on there, but on the main page for the season listings for S13-20 and for all of CI, it is now saying there are only 9 or 10 days left to watch.

Apparently, Peacock is pulling both. (Except the reboot, from the look of things...and SVU, of course.)

I know they are still all over TV, but this sucks. I thought it would be a nice alternative.

• Sad 6
1 hour ago, TakomaSnark said:

@WendyCR72 Am I hallucinating or is the expiration date no longer on L&O seasons on Peacock?

Not hallucinating! Must have been a very recent change since the little clock icon was tagged on some Mothership seasons just yesterday. But gone now!

Gone from Criminal Intent, too. A deal must have been made.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 4/10/2023 at 10:41 PM, TakomaSnark said:

@WendyCR72 Am I hallucinating or is the expiration date no longer on L&O seasons on Peacock?

On 4/10/2023 at 11:56 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Not hallucinating! Must have been a very recent change since the little clock icon was tagged on some Mothership seasons just yesterday. But gone now!

Gone from Criminal Intent, too. A deal must have been made.

A big @$$ deal. (More like @$$$$$$$$ actually)

With Nine Shows on the Air, Dick Wolf Extends Overall Deal at Universal Television Through 2027

I would speculate that both the Peacock situation and the renewals (or at least the timing of the decision/announcement) were connected to this overall deal renewal. Of course given that it's Peacock it could also be connected to the Adderall shortage and some details getting past the Peacock VP of Streaming and Microwave Programming after they finish pulling a double shift as assistant manager of the 30 Rock snack bar, but the timing seems too coincidental.

• LOL 2

So I was watching some Law & Order episodes where Judge Stein, played by Joan Copeland, made an appearance.

I never knew she was the younger sister of Arthur Miller, the playwright! (Thus making her the sister-in-law, however briefly, of Marilyn Monroe! Small world!)

And she lived to almost 100!

• Useful 5

One thing that's always I've been kind of amazed about is how the defense and prosecuting lawyers will insult and say horrible things about each other in court. Then have drinks together or run into each other at a bar and have drinks together. What an odd job. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2