Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

You know, I thought Roy's return would be a bigger draw but when I looked at my sheet, all of the Roy episodes scored a 0.9.  The only exception being Tremors in S2 which scored a 1.2 but that also featured the return of Bronze Tiger.

Was the Bronze Tiger really a draw? Honest question, I wasn't watching live, much less following who was popular with the audience then.

Were TVByTheNumbers is one of the place where the comments get really snarky sometimes: https://twitter.com/TVbytheNumbers/status/695285236607811585 hopefully they will adjust up. Overall that isn't too bad because most times Arrow hoovers around 0.9-1.1. These episodes IMO are so much better than their sister shows yet Arrow still is like the bastard child who gets no loving. Any how I have truly being enjoying this season (minus the whole BMD for plotty plot sake, ugh I despise you sometimes Marc G) . Best you can hope for is that they just continue this trend of great episodes, and people continue to spread how good the show is via SM and word of mouth and other people begin to tune in and become awesome fans of the show too!

0.9 - 2.49M viewers

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 1

Was the Bronze Tiger really a draw? Honest question, I wasn't watching live, much less following who was popular with the audience then.

I think so although we don't have much information to go on.  

Bronze Tiger's first appearance was in 202 and the ratings went up 2 tenths from 0.9 to 1.1 (viewers went up from 2.74 to 3.06 million).  His second appearance was in 212 and that went up from 0.9 to either a 1.1 or 1.2 in the demo (viewers went up from 2.49 to 2.95 million).  His 3rd and final appearance was in 216 where the show went up 1 tenth from 0.8 to 0.9 (viewers went up from 2.21 to 2.42 million).

Does that mean he was a huge draw or totally responsible for the rise in ratings?  I don't know but I remember being around for S2 SDCC and the announcement that Jai Michael White was going to appear as Bronze Tiger was met with quite a bit of online excitement.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Almost every show dropped during the 8-9 time slot. I wonder why...

Cue "FELICITY IS RUINING THE SHOW" comments lol

Those comments are so predictable. Yes, let's blame Felicity when the episode was promoted as Roy's return. I mean, there was no sign of her on the CW Twitter account but it's all her fault! How dare she even exist!

I'm not sure how much of a draw Felicitys father is, but I was thinking it may have had a bigger impact than Roy apparently does.

LOA is such a wild card. I think by the end of S3 people were so tired of it all, but you never know. Memories are short.

I'm interested in what the ratings are going to do in the next couple of weeks since they basically built up a ton of momentum with Damien Darhk, then have him give Oliver this dumb month-log reprieve so they can deal with the League of Assassins again, in a rehash of one of the more idiotic storylines from last year.

• Love 9

The trailer and promotion for this episode was also very Oliver, Thea and Diggle light. And the Felicity stuff was all mission. We got Roy, Nyssa and the Calculator mission. Nothing personal was mentioned. 

• Love 1

I just rewatched the US promos for 4x12 and they didn't show/mention Roy. They were focused on The Calculator, but made no mention of his connection to Felicity for obvious story reasons.

Edited by strikera0

Yes but the episode synopsis did. "ROY HARPER RETURNS; NYSSA MAKES HER MOVE — The team faces off against a formidable villain nicknamed The Calculator (guest star Tom Amandes). Meanwhile, Nyssa (guest star Katrina Law) makes her move and Roy Harper (guest star Colton Haynes) returns to Star City."

I just rewatched the US promos for 4x12 and they didn't show/mention Roy. They were focused on The Calculator, but made no mention of his connection to Felicity for obvious story reasons.

In season one, 1x11 Trust But Verify got a 1.1, and 1x12 Vertigo got a 0.9.

In season two, 2x11 Blind Spot got a 0.9 and 2x12 Tremors got a 1.1.

In season three, 3x11 Midnight City got a 1.1, and 3x12 Uprising got a 1.2.

In season four, 4x11 A.W.O.L. got a 1.1, and 4x12 Unchained got a 0.9 (preliminary).

Just presenting the numbers - make of them what you will. :)

(Historical ratings from spottedratings.com)

Arrow slipped in the Twitter ratings last night, going from first position to fourth, beaten out by the AC 360 Democratic Town Hall, Maddow, and American, and just beating out Supernatural.

Unique audience: 516

Impressions: 1749 

Unique authors: 11

Tweets: 38

Yes but the episode synopsis did. "ROY HARPER RETURNS; NYSSA MAKES HER MOVE — The team faces off against a formidable villain nicknamed The Calculator (guest star Tom Amandes). Meanwhile, Nyssa (guest star Katrina Law) makes her move and Roy Harper (guest star Colton Haynes) returns to Star City."

Sure, but most casual viewers don't scoop out spoiler sites for detailed episode descriptions. Their decision to tune in for a specific episode generally comes down to the strength of the prior episode as well as the trailers. Some of them may also check out the little blurbs that can be found in TV or entertainment magazines, but even the small teaser in the latest issue of TV Guide was all about the Calculator.

• Love 2

RE: Twitter ratings.

It doesn't look like anyone much cared about a lot in this episode. 

Sure, but most casual viewers don't scoop out spoiler sites for detailed episode descriptions. Their decision to tune in for a specific episode generally comes down to the strength of the prior episode as well as the trailers. Some of them may also check out the little blurbs that can be found in TV or entertainment magazines, but even the small teaser in the latest issue of TV Guide was all about the Calculator.

I agree about the magazines and spoilers sites, but that's the episode description that pops up on your guide. If you are flipping thru channels to see if you want to watch, you got Roy, Nyssa and some villain most people haven't heard of. 

• Love 3

My tv guide's synopsis reads The team goes after the powerful villain known as the Calculator; Nyssa sets her plan into action; Roy Harper comes back to Star city. (I have UVERSE).

Well, seeing as it looks like all shows dipped in ratings last night I guess that's Felicity's fault too. And maybe Diggle's if we're going on what was in the previous episode. LOL.

It's interesting about Roy though because the promo for him got a lot of RT's and likes on twitter and yet it doesn't really add up as a draw for the show. Strange.

Edited by Angel12d

Well, seeing as it looks like all shows dipped in ratings last night I guess that's Felicity's fault too. And maybe Diggle's if we're going on what was in the previous episode. LOL.

It's interesting about Roy though because the promo for him got a lot of RT's and likes on twitter and yet it doesn't really add up as a draw for the show. Strange.

I think there was a study that showed that the internet only accounted for only 5% of total viewership. 

I'd like to see a study on how people decide whether they're going to watch an episode or not.

But yeah, clearly every show in the 8-9 slot had a dip for some reason so it's just not an Arrow thing. 

• Love 1

I think there was a study that showed that the internet only accounted for only 5% of total viewership. 

Do you mean that internet streaming accounts for 5% of total viewership, or that people responding on Twitter/Facebook represent about 5% of total viewership? The first seems lower than what networks are now reporting, but the second sounds about right to me - networks are clearly trying to get more viewers to Tweet about their shows or mention then on Facebook, but so far it does seem as if most viewers are resisting that for whatever reason.

Do you mean that internet streaming accounts for 5% of total viewership, or that people responding on Twitter/Facebook represent about 5% of total viewership? The first seems lower than what networks are now reporting, but the second sounds about right to me - networks are clearly trying to get more viewers to Tweet about their shows or mention then on Facebook, but so far it does seem as if most viewers are resisting that for whatever reason.

Oh no I meant the people who participate in the whole internet fandom thing so twitter/fb/tumblr/imdb/reddit/etc. Streaming i know would be much higher than that. 

• Love 1

Obviously people tuned out since there wasn't enough Laurel. (joke BTW)

But I felt like they did a good job of promoting all the storylines that would be featured in the episode.

I agree they promoted almost every storyline. I just think that yesterday in general wasn't good for the 8-9 timeslot because every show dipped either .1 or .2 in the ratings.

Was Thea's bloodlust even promoted at all? The episode seem to feature a villain of the week and two recurring guest stars. 

No, I don't think so. The only promo I saw about Thea was the comic book preview which showed her fighting with Roy, I think. That's it. 

• Love 1
I agree about the magazines and spoilers sites, but that's the episode description that pops up on your guide. If you are flipping thru channels to see if you want to watch, you got Roy, Nyssa and some villain most people haven't heard of. 

Yeah, I don't have that so I wouldn't know. I'm going off of the print edition of TV Guide magazine and there, the only part that was mentioned was the one with the Calculator.

Edited by strikera0

Interesting. If this was promoted as a Calculator VotW episode, do you think that the name "The Calculator" turned people off because of how ridiculous it sounds? Just like how I think JtV and Crazy Ex Girlfriend don't have higher ratings because of the title of the shows...

• Love 1

The TV guide online description is similar to the one to what's on my Uverse guide.  Which I know isn't the same as the print because they always use the first part of the synopsis. 

Arrow
Unchained8:00 PM on CW, 1 hr 2016 TV-14
The team battles a formidable villain nicknamed the Calculator. Meanwhile, Nyssa makes her move; and Roy Harper returns to Star City.
Find more about Arrow

Edited by tarotx

I agree that Roy has never been a big audience draw (although I like him).  But I think Nyssa is also a factor.  Nyssa makes me think of Nanda Parbat and S3 has kinda ruined the League of Assassins for me. If I hadn't been spoiled about the Calculator being Felicity's father, I might not have watched 412.

I just hope that, if Diggle is the planned death (which I'm really hoping is not the case), the higher ratings for 411 (which was a Diggle-centric episode) will make the EPs rethink that decision.

• Love 3

If the grave death is a regular, the final decision was almost certainly made by mid-January at the latest, so the ratings/fan responses to 411 probably didn't play a part in that decision.

The ratings/fan responses to 411 could, however, still impact other things in 419-423.

• Love 1

Which one is the last episode that could affect the remaining episodes?

(I don't think that's the correct way to ask that question, but I hope it's clear anyway:))

Edited by looptab

Depending upon how much Arrow has budgeted for pickup shots, potentially every episode up to 420.  They have done some last minute ADR, pickups and edits for at least the last two season finales, though most of that was for technical issues, not fan responses.

• Love 2

I'm looking for the source but someone Tweeted out the demo for last night episode was 0.9/2.445M viewers. Given what was shown last night the ALL of the Smoak scenes and the final scene between Oliver and Felicity I'm gonna say they didn't do that bad! I didn't care too much for "Sins Of The Father" but it advance the narrative a little teeny weeny bit at least IMO>

https://twitter.com/andyouloveher88/status/697812762630733824

*Didn't see the source above. Guess I need to stop waiting for TVByTheNumbers and switch to ShowBuzz Daily**

Edited by Ann Mack

Not great ratings but it's still hovering around the usual demo so I can't imagine they'd be that concerned. 

Still waiting for all those 'Felicity ruining the show/ratings' comments though. They want to try it considering you wouldn't even know she was in the episode unless you'd seen the promo pictures. TRY IT.

Sorry, I'm feeling ragey today. Haha.

• Love 1

I know the last couple of episodes haven't been all that great, especially last night's. I just really hated the 311-313 stretch last year, and it irritates me that it got better ratings. I know that's petty. *sigh*

They got better ratings last year mainly because people were still watching after that first crossover. The novelty of that has probably worn off and people know better now. They tune in for the crossover and then leave. LOL.

• Love 4

Arrow has been living off of the Flash crossovers for over a year now. The novelty had to wear off at some point - especially considering that the show has been mediocre at best for some time now.

Edited by strikera0

Arrow has been living off of the Flash crossovers for over a year now. The novelty had to wear off at some point - especially considering that the show has been mediocre at best for some time now.

I think anyone who watched beyond a few eps after the crossover and tuned into the season premiere can actually be considered an Arrow viewer, and not a holdover. People don't watch over a year's worth of show without actually being interested in it.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 9