Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: The Akeda

The Cranes, their hubris and sense of entitlement have won. They've been rewarded for having faith in their superiority. There was no need for knowledge or hard work or sacrifice. The Cranes didn't raise their son, they don't know him, they witnessed the lengths he'd go to murder people and destroy this world and yet they deemed him worthy of being spared, while he kept killing. Because faith!

In the meantime, a Abbie's ancestors kept sacrificing themselves, protecting her destiny, guarding the sword that could avert the apocalypse... only to have the Cranes wielding it, not her, because they are the true heroes and she only exists to prop them up. The final kick in the teeth is that Grace's murderer was rewarded with redemption and became the savior. And somehow I have to be cheering for this, according to Goffman.

Now Ichy, OMG! The Cranes in general are the worst, but Ichy? He takes the cake. That he'd break yet another oath to Abbie is already standard fair with this awful twit, but when he told his repulsive murderous son to let him pass, so that he could kill Moloch and that Henry would be free to live a life of his making and be loved, I wanted Ichy to die a painful death and never see his gross scarecrow face again. Who gave him the right? What about the trail of victims his beloved son left behind? What about justice? Has this imbecile forgotten Caroline? He only really cares about two people in this world besides himself and yet he's a Witness! Why?

• Love 7

If Irving were going to be sacrificed, he should have been the one to kill Moloch so his death wouldn't feel so pointless. Team Witness essentially failed their mission and had to rely on a contrived change of heart from Henry to claim any measure of success. That is truly lame. The writers had to make sure their pet Henry had the big moment.

Making Henry the Horseman of War was another obvious sign of the writers' lovefest with John Noble. War should have been a fierce, strapping warrior not Mr Rogers in a cardigan. The whole remote control bit was an obvious accommodation to the fact John Noble's old ass couldn't do the riding and fighting stunts that would be needed. When you have to contort a story to such a ridiculous degree to accommodate a character that's a sure sign your writing is off the mark.

Edited by savinggrace
  • Love 3

Found this episode quite boring and lacklustre. The Apocalypse seemed to be so low budget, a few zombies and the War avatar  who was easily dispatched. The omens consisted of a few lightning strikes and blood hail? Moloch is not a very clever villain at all. There was never any real sense that this is supposed to be the end of the world. And I thought the other two horsemen were also supposed to be there when it all went down.

And it's quite obvious that Henry will take over from Moloch, there was no indication that he has seen the error of his ways at all, IMO.

• Love 3

And it's quite obvious that Henry will take over from Moloch, there was no indication that he has seen the error of his ways at all, IMO.

I'd be happy with that just to see Abbie tell the Cranes, "Fuck you, I was right--you should have killed your dick-bag son.  Now look what you morons have done."

• Love 6

Yeah - this really, really bothered me. Especially since the show went the whole "black guy dies first" trope. Caroline doesn't count as she wasn't a regular cast member. Watching Irving looking up at Ichabod and Katrina I couldn't help but wonder what Orlando Jones was thinking.

So Hawley could fall to his feet to worship her in that revolting scene. There is NO other reason for it - it literally served ONLY to have another man on the show admiring Ichabod's wife - so that we would understand the glory and majesty that is Katrina Crane.

It's insulting and so utterly transparent I cannot take it anymore. The writing literally is serving as a vehicle to elevate Katrina as lead and I'm so angry I fell for the bait and switch.

Actually, Sherriff Corbin died first.  No trope there that I'm aware of.

Wow - I just realized you are right - Moloch IS defeated so the "breakup" is over... and even if it isn't, Goffman plans to spend the rest of the season "explaining" Katrina so that at the end of the season, we will all bow down to her glory and understand why Ichabod does a "I'm so sorry for misjudging you oh great Katrina - your history FULLY explains that you are absolved of all sin and are perfect in thy sight!" and then takes her into his arms and they flit off for a second honeymoon while Katrina defeats all of the evil doers and Abbie is relegated to picking cotton in the field for a new Katrina corset.

Yes I'm bitter.

I think the breakup is still on.  Moloch's defeated but you know this apocalypse thing is still going and Henry is probably going to take it over.  And Abraham is still waiting in chains for his mistress to return.  I think the Witnesses are still important.  There is obviously some task that must be done to end the apocalypse altogether that only they can perform.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

I actually liked this episode with, of course, a few exceptions. I'm positive Henry killed Moloch so Henry himself could rule the world after Apocalypse. Moloch was such a PITA, always telling the petulant Henry what to do.

I liked Fighting Irving. That was a fantastic scene, and I loved him defeating the gold-glowing Horseman, Henry 's second. But then Katrina, All Powerful Witch, couldn't heal or save him afterward? Yeah, figures, since she hasn't been shown to have any more powers than anyone else during the entire run of this show. Katrina =  Epic Fail.

I liked that Crane overheard Katrina confess her love for Headless so, crosses fingers, I hope he's over her romantically. I'd like to see him partner with Abbie for life. Not that I need a romance there, I just like them together.

Can anyone clear up why Henry said he had lost all his powers when Irving killed his Horseman Second, yet he was able to root-tie everyone and fling people around by waving his hand in the next scene? I for sure did not get that.

So Abbie got shot? Did anyone help her with that afterward? No? Not even Katrina using a BindTheWound spell? No? Okay then.

Henry killing Moloch obviously means more Henry. Ugh. Crane letting Abraham live I hope means Headless and Katrina will ride off into the sunset together on Red Eye, never to be seen again. Crosses fingers.

• Love 3

I actually liked this episode with, of course, a few exceptions. I'm positive Henry killed Moloch so Henry himself could rule the world after Apocalypse. Moloch was such a PITA, always telling the petulant Henry what to do.

I liked Fighting Irving. That was a fantastic scene, and I loved him defeating the gold-glowing Horseman, Henry 's second. But then Katrina, All Powerful Witch, couldn't heal or save him afterward? Yeah, figures, since she hasn't been shown to have any more powers than anyone else during the entire run of this show. Katrina =  Epic Fail.

I liked that Crane overheard Katrina confess her love for Headless so, crosses fingers, I hope he's over her romantically. I'd like to see him partner with Abbie for life. Not that I need a romance there, I just like them together.

Can anyone clear up why Henry said he had lost all his powers when Irving killed his Horseman Second, yet he was able to root-tie everyone and fling people around by waving his hand in the next scene? I for sure did not get that.

So Abbie got shot? Did anyone help her with that afterward? No? Not even Katrina using a BindTheWound spell? No? Okay then.

Henry killing Moloch obviously means more Henry. Ugh. Crane letting Abraham live I hope means Headless and Katrina will ride off into the sunset together on Red Eye, never to be seen again. Crosses fingers.

I took it to mean he lost the powers of the Horseman of War, but retained the powers he had as a witch.  (Which he supposedly inherited from his mother, hahahahhaaha!)

I finally worked up the interest/energy/desire to watch this episode.  There was so much that I dislike about it that I hardly know where to begin:

• Dislike everything about Ichabod and Katrina; Really?  We're in the middle of the apocalypse and you have to have the "we need a break from our relationship" conversation?  No, just no.
  • You sideline Irving for the first half of the season for this?  Yes, he was pretty bad-ass taking out the zombiefied army and the Horseman of War - but still, it doesn't excuse benching him for the first ten episodes.
  • Ichabod is plucking my very last nerve; I'm a little tired of his hypocritical tirades - same for Katrina
  • I am officially over everything Henry; he can leave my screen anytime now
  • I HATE the fact that Ichabod and Katrina were proven right in placing their faith in Henry; can't stand the fact that he appears "redeemable" - just the thought of more useless Crane Family Drama is enough to make me quit the show.
  • What was the point of Hawley?
  • What happened to the characterization of Jenny?  She's gone from bad-ass artifact hunter to gopher?
  • I'm annoyed that Ichabod prevent Abbie from going to Irving's body.
  • I don't like the whimpy version of Headless
  • I just can't with Katia Winter's wig.  I know she's a natural blonde, but lately she's been sporting darker/redder hair; why not let her sport that.  
  • Speaking of wigs, I'm not digging the last few they'be been putting on Tom Mison - he's looking a little to "son of god" for my taste.  Then again, the show has made it all about him being he "savior" so why not let him sport the proper hair? <rolling eyes>

What happened to my show?  Was it just a last year when this was appointment TV for me?  When did it go from that to "I'll watch it eventually"?  

• Love 3
What happened to my show?  Was it just a last year when this was appointment TV for me?  When did it go from that to "I'll watch it eventually"?

You and 90% of the viewing audience, OakGoblinFly. Seriously. I've never seen such a negative 180 from such a large part of the fans/viewers this year like this. Professional media articles, reviewers and podcasts that all praised this show last year are shaking their head going, "What the hell happened?" And they all point out exactly what we here are all pointing out. It's mind-boggling and quite epic, actually. It was appointment TV for me too, but not now. Now, it's simply lost it's way and disappoints me. *sob*

I miss Crane with his hair tied back - it looks better on him. And I miss the coat! The Original coat. I love that coat. It's like the moment he slipped on the new brown coat and let his hair hang loose, he became a completely different person. *moresobs*

• Love 3

I miss Crane with his hair tied back - it looks better on him. And I miss the coat! The Original coat. I love that coat. It's like the moment he slipped on the new brown coat and let his hair hang loose, he became a completely different person. *moresobs*

I think of this Crane with his hair down and that new coat as Katrina's Crane.  He doesn't even look the same as S1 Crane who was hot as hell.   I hate his hair down like this with a passion.  That should be for rare occasions and some kind of intimate situation.  Okay, now you've got me sobbing.  Maybe we should be glad though.  If the show ever gets righted, maybe S1 Crane (Abbie's Crane) will return with hair tied back wearing his original coat.  Hopefully, the former charm, humility and intellect will return too.

• Love 4

I totally agree about Crane's hair. I'd prefer he kept it tied back most of the time.

I'm actually quite fond of the new coat though. I think he likes dashing in it. Plus, it's updated just enough. It has an old feel, but it doesn't look so out of place to make people wonder if Crane is cosplaying. I'm hoping that next season, they subtly update his pants or boots as well... If we get a next season.

On the bright side, Abbie's hair has looked lovely most of this season.

Katrina's hair continues to look like ass though. I guess the braid this episode is better than the lank, center parted mess she's usually shorts though.

• Love 1

I am officially over everything Henry; he can leave my screen anytime now

I HATE the fact that Ichabod and Katrina were proven right in placing their faith in Henry; can't stand the fact that he appears "redeemable" - just the thought of more useless Crane Family Drama is enough to make me quit the show.

What was the point of Hawley?

When Crane had the sword at Henry's throat, I was screaming "KILL HIM! KILL HIM" at my tv. Crane ignored me.

I do not believe Crane/Katrina were "proven right" that Henry is redeemable. He used that to get free, then mocked the Cranes for it, then killed Moloch so he could take over The End Of Times all by himself, not to "save the world." Trust me, I know I'm right!

Hawley was needed as The Headless Babysitter. Because, supposedly, he would know how to recapture him if Abe slipped his chains. Yeah, I know ... right.

Vote me in too with not liking Crane's down do hair. I like it tied back, even if he was always sloppy about it. Plus, one cannot fight decently with hair flopping and flipping around one's eyes and face, so there's that. Having it hanging down is stupid when you are fighting The Horsemen for pete's sake. I'm thinking the hair and coat change is, as Reese says, Katrina's Crane. And hoping that will change BUT SOON!

• Love 1

I don't mind Crane's hair being down, but I would rather him mix it up than wear one style for weeks at a time.  A couple weeks he could wear it down, a few weeks he could tie it back, that kind of thing.  On the s1 DVD commentary, they joked that he does look like Jesus sometimes.

LOL @ "Katrina's hair still looks like ass."  Her forehead was so obvious, I kept waiting for a big gust of wind to blow the wig off.

• Love 2

Just reminding everyone that we have an thread to discuss Ichabod Crane, his hair, his wardrobe, his season 1 personality, his season 2 personality, and the amazing and beautiful actor who plays him, Tom Mison. We're starting to get off track again. *cracks moderator whip*.

I moved some of the posts to that thread. Most obliged!

• Love 1

Actually, Sherriff Corbin died first.  No trope there that I'm aware of.

The death of a father figure mentor is a classic in most heroic tales. It usually makes their battle with the darkness more personal and compelling. Theoretically.

I wish this episode felt more meaningful. I might be in the minority but I miss Moloch junior, he was a fun evil anti christ and I do like a villain of few words.

Long speeches bore me

• Love 2

On a very shallow (and inappropriate) note, considering what had just happened, Crane holding Abbie from behind as she broke down over Irving’s death was hot.

But why did he have to hold her back? Why couldn't Abbie go be beside her friend? I didn't understand that, the fight was over.

Tired of the Crane family drama -- I don't hate hate Katrina, but she seems to bring the show down, and distract Ichabod too much. As the Cranes Turn indeed.

I hate that no one mentioned that Frank died without a soul! He's the last person who could risk dying. They'd better pick up with them trying to restore his soul first thing next half-season.

When Crane had the sword at Henry's throat, I was screaming "KILL HIM! KILL HIM" at my tv. Crane ignored me.

Yeah, he ignored my, "What the hell's the matter with you?  Just stab him already!" too.  So rude.  I actually had hopes that not killing Henry right then was part of Abbie's plan because why not kill him when you have the perfect chance--there had to be a good reason, right? Suffice it to say it there was no good reason--only very, very stupid ones--and I was filled with rage and hate.

• Love 2

But why did he have to hold her back? Why couldn't Abbie go be beside her friend? I didn't understand that, the fight was over.

Wasn't Moloch still alive at that point? So going out there could mean being vulnerable to more onslaught from him? I also wondered if they were unsure what Irving's death would bring (in terms of evil stuff coming forth), given that Henry had his soul?

• Love 3

I didn't know where to request this but is it possible to get  Nick Hawley: Privateer thread? I know people have mixed feeling about him but I have some gripes specific to the treatment of his character and don't want to derail other threads discussing them.

In short-- after all the assists Nick has given Team Witness I think he deserves to be fully brought into the loop, not talked down to, and not expected to risk his life on short notice with only partial information and very little gratitude in return.

Edited by savinggrace
  • Love 1

I didn't know where to request this but is it possible to get  Nick Hawley: Privateer thread? I know people have mixed feeling about him but I have some gripes specific to the treatment of his character and don't want to derail other threads discussing them.

In short-- after all the assists Nick has given Team Witness I think he deserves to be fully brought into the loop, not talked down to, and not expected to risk his life on short notice with only partial information and very little gratitude in return.

Here you go, savinggrace. Nick Hawley: Bar-hopping Privateer

I had forgotten to say that I did like the Moloch monster. I thought it and the gold-glowing Dead Horseman were pretty good effects for network tv. Moloch even got  speaking lines and a close up, without him being all reverse-mirror blurred!

ETA: I might say that I do not have HDTV, so there's that to consider about my above statement.

Edited by saber5055

Is the corset supposed to make Katrina / Katia sexier?  Cause it makes her less so for me.  (But then I think the Victoria Secret bras are about as unsexy as you can get!)

You know I am still confused about how anyone besides the witnesses can kill Moloch or wield that sword? 

For such a well-guarded sword (hidden, buried, guarded -- by a Gorgon no less -- and obfuscated), it sure was useless.  If you use it, you die.  Woooo.  Thanks so much.

• Love 1

For the TV Juriste rcap:

As someone on Twitter commented, Katrina’s powers are weakened if she has a heavy lunch.

That about sums it up.

The Cranes don’t make a serious attempt to manually stop Frank’s bleeding. No one runs to get cloths. No one considers calling for an ambulance (we saw Hawley partying, so the rest of Sleepy Hollow seems to be operating on a business as usual basis). They don’t run to get Jenny and Abbie’s help.

These two really are heartless, despicable people.  #OtherWitnessIs Jenny!

• Love 1

I have to admit I feel a bit deceived by this forum. I read the forum before I had a chance to see the episode, based on what I read I was going to skip it. So glad that I didn't. I must be in the minority but I thought it was great. I teared up when Irving died. I loved the frustration in Cranes voice as he demanded, begged and then accused Katrina to heal him.  His whole focus in that moment was to save him and he seemed shocked that Katrina couldn't and that he died. 

As for Henry, perhaps it is being a parent to only one child, a boy, that I understand need for their son to be redeemed.  I do not deny that Henry is evil but I think expecting someone to kill their own child is above what any parent could do.

I loved the motorcycle scene. It was too funny!

• Love 1